Formal dedication of the boyhood home of Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower at Abilene as a national shrine was held June 22, 1947. A deed to the home was presented to C. M. Harger, president of the Eisenhower Memorial Foundation, by Milton S. Eisenhower, president of Kansas State College, who represented the Eisenhower family at the ceremony. The two-story frame house, for many years the home of General Eisenhower's parents, Mr. and Mrs. David Eisenhower, will be retained as it stands as a part of the $1,000,000 memorial planned by the foundation. Gov. Frank Carlson was the chief speaker at the dedicatory ceremony.
Another ship in World War II bearing the name of an illustrious Kansan was the Frederick Funston. (For other ships see pp. 113-126, in the May, 1947, issue of the Quarterly.) Launched on September 27, 1941, at Tacoma, Wash., this vessel was unique in that it was the first United States ship built exclusively for use as an army transport vessel. It was christened by Miss Barbara Funston, daughter of the famous general. At the time of the launching, the Frederick Funston was one of 30 C-3 type ships that had been built at the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Company yards, but nearly all the other ships of that type were constructed as cargo vessels. The vessel displaces 17,600 tons and is powered by steam turbines. Gen. Frederick Funston (1865-1917) was reared near Iola and attended the University of Kansas for two and a half years. Attracted to the Cuban cause after the outbreak of the insurrection in 1895, he went to Cuba in 1896 and served in the artillery, and was advanced to lieutenant-colonel. Funston returned to the United States just prior to the Spanish-American war and was named by Gov. John W. Leedy to command the 20th Kansas regiment. The regiment formed a part of the Philippine expeditionary force. He was promoted to the rank of brigadier-general of volunteers and received the Congressional Medal of Honor after the battle of Calumpit. In March, 1901, Funston engineered and executed a daring raid on Luzon in which Aguinaldo was captured. He then was given the rank of brigadier-general in the regular army. General Funston subsequently served as commandant of the army's Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, and was promoted to major-general. He was in command on the Mexican bor-
der when General Pershing was sent into Mexico after Villa. Among other famous army leaders who served under General Funston on the border were General Eisenhower, then a lieutenant, and Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then a captain.
The ninetieth anniversary of the founding of Emporia was observed at a meeting of the Lyon county chapter of the Kansas State Historical Society April 19, 1947, in the chapter's museum room in the Emporia Civic auditorium. The observance also marked the opening of the chapter's postwar activity. Kirke Mechem, secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, explained the work of the Kansas society and cited opportunities for the Lyon county museum. The Lyon county chapter recently received the gift of a collection of 21 guns from L. M. Sutton, of Reading. Some of the guns date back to the early 1800's. E. J. Lewis is president of the chapter.
The Republic County Historical Society was organized at a meeting held May 10, 1947, in Belleville. Temporary officers are: Mrs. H. J. Adams, Belleville, president; Mrs. Sam H. Blair, Belleville, vice-president; Mrs. O. E. McMullen, Courtland, secretary, and Mrs. Gilbert H. Faulkner, Belleville, treasurer. Mrs. McMullen is in charge of the society's project of compiling a record of homesteads in Republic county which remain in the families of the original settlers. Lists of such homesteads as compiled to date were printed in the Belleville Telescope, May 8, 1947, June 5, 12, 19 and 26.
Horse-drawn cars and the old coal gas plant were among the subjects recalled at the annual picnic of the Sedgwick County Pioneer Society held June 7, 1947, at Wichita. The historical photo and print collections of John P. Davidson, president of the society, were displayed.
An article, "The Junior Historian Movement in the Public Schools," by Horace Bailey Carroll, has been printed as Vol. I, No. 12 (February, 1947), of the Bulletins of the American Association for State and Local History. Carroll is professor of history at the University, of Texas and editor of The Southwestern Historical Quarterly and of The Junior Historian. Copies of the bulletin may be obtained from the association's secretary, Earl D. Newton, Supreme Court Building, Montpelier, Vt.
The first installment of the reprint of Shawnee County Townships-William Cone's Historical Sketch of Shawnee County, Kansas appears in the March, 1947, issue of the Bulletin of The Shawnee County Historical Society, Topeka. The Cone sketch, published in 1877, is being reproduced in the Bulletin with the approval of Mr. Cone's heirs. Mr. Cone served in the circulation and advertising departments of the Kansas Farmer and Topeka Daily Capital and later was an employee of the Kansas State Historical Society. His daughters, Mrs. A. M. Harvey, and Miss Mamie Cone, reside in Topeka. Other subjects in the March issue include "The Founding of Topeka" and the second installment of the "Chronology of Shawnee County," by George A. Root, for the closing months of 1854 and the first eight months of 1855. Cecil Howes is editor of the Bulletin.
Some problems of the terminology of geography were discussed by Dr. James C. Malin in an article entitled "Grassland, `Treeless,' and `Subhumid,"' printed in a recent number of The Geographical Review (v. 37, No. 2, 1947), of Burlington, Vt., publication of the American Geographical Society. Dr. Malin is professor of history at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, and is associate editor of the Kansas Historical Quarterly.
"Kansas Banking During the War Economy Period, 1939-1945," is the title of a study by L. J. Pritchard printed by the University of Kansas Publications of Lawrence in 1946 as No. 7 of the Industrial Research Series.
A pictorial story of the opening of the West and the evolution of the Southwest is presented in The Santa Fe Trail, 271-page book of illustrations prepared by the editors of Look magazine and published by Random House late in 1946. Subjects include the era of exploration, "Manifest Destiny," trail-breakers, the coming of the railroad, peopling the prairie and the modern Southwest.
Autobiography of William Colfax Markham is the title of a 24-1page book recently published by Ransdell Inc., Washington, D. C. Markham was the first secretary of the Kansas state highway commission and nationally known in highway circles for more than two decades, serving as executive secretary of the American Association of State Highway Officials from 1923 until 1942. A considerable portion of the volume is devoted to Markham's career at Baldwin, first as a student at Baker University and then as editor of the
Baldwin Ledger, beginning August 11, 1893, and continuing until after he entered highway work. The visit of President Taft to Baldwin on September 24, 1911, is described. The Taft address was scheduled as part of the ceremonies inaugurating Dr. Wilbur N. Mason as president of Baker University.
Victoria, the Story of a Western Kansas Town, by Marjorie Gamet Raish, has been published as No. 3 of the Language and Literature Series of the Fort Hays Kansas State College Studies of Hays. This 83-page study is a history of the English colony at Victoria from the purchase of the land from the Kansas Pacific railroad by George Grant in 1872 until the end of the colony in the early 1880's.
A 32-page booklet, Ellsworth, Kansas, 1867-1947, by George Jelinek, was recently issued. It deals with the first settlement and early events of Ellsworth county and the establishment of Fort Ellsworth. The founding of the city of Ellsworth in 1867, the year the Union Pacific was constructed westward to that point, is described. The booklet sets out the locations of early-day business houses and incidents in Ellsworth in its cow-town era. The publication is illustrated by numerous scenes of the late 1860's and early 1870's together with other views of the community in the 1880's and later decades.
The committee on research in folklore, of the American Folklore Society, annually publishes in The Journal of American Folklore a list of folklore projects which are in progress. The writing of books, monographs, special studies, library research, and field collecting are included. Folklorists are requested to send information on their current activities to Herbert Halpert, 60 West Winter Street, Delaware, Ohio, before September 10.
Coal Reserves in Kansas, by G. E. Abernathy, J. M. Jewett, and W. H. Schoewe, is the title of a 20-page booklet printed in March, 1947, by the University of Kansas Publications, Lawrence, as Bulletin 70, Part 1 of the State Geological Survey of Kansas.
The life of a "horse-and buggy" lawyer in the 1890's and early 1900's is described in the book Sam Jones, Lawyer, by Ben Jones, his son, published recently by the University of Oklahoma Press, Norman. Sam Jones located at Lyons at the time the late Sen. William E. Borah was practicing law there. The 218-page volume contains humorous stories of the lawyer's experiences.
Natural Resources: Their Relation To Power and Peace is the title of a 20-page pamphlet by Dr. Frank T. Stockton, issued recently by the Bureau of Government Research, University of Kansas, Lawrence.
The Abraham Lincoln Association, First National Bank Building, Springfield, Ill., solicits information concerning the present private ownership and location of any document composed by Abraham Lincoln, whether or not it has been published hitherto. Documents in public institutions are readily accessible, but many of those held by individuals have not been located to date. The preparation of a complete edition of Lincoln's writings from original sources will be greatly facilitated by information leading to procurement of photostatic copies of documents held by private individuals. Any assistance the association receives will be acknowledged in the publication.
William Allen White's America, a 621-page book by Dr. Walter Johnson, originally scheduled for publication by Henry Holt and Company of New York on March 15, 1947, was issued instead on August 11. A chapter from this work proved a popular feature of the February, 1947, number of The Kansas Historical Quarterly. It has been learned that the book is the August selection of the Non-Fiction Book Club. This is the second of two volumes written by Dr. Johnson of the history department of the University of Chicago after several years' study of the life of Mr. White. The first volume was issued in January under the title The Selected Letters of William Allen White. The books form an excellent study and illustrate the extensive contacts Mr. White had and maintained nationally and locally during his lifetime. Dr. Johnson, with Miss Alberta Pantle, a member of the staff of the Historical Society, also compiled a bibliography of Mr. White's writings which appeared in the February Quarterly. Before Mr. White died Dr. Johnson had microfilmed a part of his voluminous correspondence and other papers, and a positive copy of the film is now available at the Kansas State Historical Society.