Goodland celebrated its golden jubilee with an old settlers' reunion at the Northwest Kansas District Free Fair, August 24-27, 1937.
The Sherman County Herald printed historical stories in its issues from July 22 to September 2.
Titles of some of these articles and dates of publication were: "Bent's Fort Oldest Station in the West," July 22; "The Blizzard of 1886," August 5; "Sherman County and the H. U. A.," August 12; "The Capture of Black Kettle," August 19; "Sherman County, Kansas," August 26; "Early Days at Old Voltaire in 1885," September 2.
The "Golden Jubilee Edition" of the Goodland Daily News and the News-Republic appeared August 18, featuring names and pictures of several score of the county's pioneers. Included among the historical articles were: "News-Republic Has Half Century Record of Continuous Publication"; "Pioneer Firms"; "Bloodless County-Seat War Left Valuable Citizens for Service"; "The Old Academy"; "Railroad Big Factor in Development of Sherman County Through 50 Years"; "Buffalo Grass to Diversified Crops History of County's Basic Industry"; "County Progress Is Shown by Comparison of Court Houses"; "Some Early Newspapers"; "Pioneer Settlers Started Church Services When Homes Established"; "First Homes in Sherman County Those of White Pioneer Families"; "Buffalo to Beef"; "Fiftieth Anniversary Finds Goodland Has Made Record of Steady Progress"; "In Education, Sherman County Has Made Fine Record."
Carl G. Lindholm, of McPherson, recently paid tribute to two pioneer women of Saline county, a Mrs. Martin and her sister Martha, in a story in the Salina Journal, July 23, 1937. Mrs. Martin taught school and managed a cattle ranch for a number of years.
"Hopefield, Labette County's First Mission, Was Abandoned 100 Years Ago This Month," was the title of a three-column article by Sallie Shaffer printed in the Parsons Sun, July 24, 1937.
Life in early Phillips county was briefly discussed by Harry E. Ross in the Logan Republican, July 29, 1937.
Several boom towns of the Colby vicinity which have perished were named and discussed in the Colby Free Press-Tribune, August 4, 1937.
A history of Angelus community, in southwestern Sheridan county, was reviewed by Father Menig in the Grinnell Record-Leader, August 5, 1937.
Residents of Sedgwick vicinity in 1870, as listed in the federal census, were recalled by John S. Biggs in the Sedgwick Pantagraph, August 5, 1937.
A cottonwood tree in Smith county, thought to be over three hundred years old, was pictured and discussed by Henry A. Clark in the Smith County Pioneer, of Smith Center, August 5, 1937.
Gypsum celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its incorporation with an "old-fashioned" picnic held August 11 and 12, 1937. The Gypsum Advocate of August 12 printed several columns of articles dealing with the history of the town, which was incorporated April 11, 1887. A brief mention of the history of the First Baptist Church in the neighboring community of Carlton also appeared in this issue.
Halstead's fiftieth annual Harvey County Old Settlers' Picnic was held August 11 and 12, 1937. In observance of the anniversary the Halstead Independent issued a thirty-two page "Pioneer Days" illustrated souvenir edition on August 12, featuring reminiscences of pioneers and articles relating the city's newspaper, church, school, lodge and club histories. Titles of other historical stories were: "Worst Tornado Struck in 1895," "Complete Minutes of the First Three Old Settlers' Picnics," "History of Halstead," "City Proceedings" from 1877 to 1937, "The Halstead Parks," "Halstead's Biggest Floods," "History of Halstead Cantatas," "The Story of the Noted Kit Carson Tree," "Halstead Hospital Founded by Dr. [A. E.] Hertzler in 1902," "History of Harvey County," "The Incorporation of Halstead as a Third Class City ," and "The Indian Industrial School."
"Nicknames Numerous In Old Days of the West," was the title of an article by George Remsburg published in short installments in the Leavenworth Times, August 13, 27; September 12, 24; October 3, 14, 15, 28, 29; November 28, and December 13, 1937. Soldier Creek and the "real origin" of its name was discussed by Mr. Remsburg in the Times of December 2.
The first well in Liberal's deep-well irrigation project was dedicated at ceremonies held August 15, 1937. It was planned to irrigate an alfalfa planting in the fall and later the experiment was to be tried on wheat. Accounts of the project appeared in Liberal's newspapers contemporaneous with the event.
Former residents of Lebanon registered at the city's fiftieth anniversary celebrated August 12-14, 1937, were listed in the Lebanon Times, August 19.
A history of St. George Catholic Church near Munden was sketched in the Belleville Telescope, August 19, 1937.
Reminiscences of Cawker City pioneers are being printed in a series of articles entitled "Among Our Pioneers" appearing regularly in the Cawker City Ledger for the past several months. A history of St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church of Cawker City, by the Rev. Father L. E. Wahlmeier, was begun in the Ledger August 19, 1937, and was continued through several succeeding issues.
The third annual old settlers' reunion of Larned was held August 26 and 27, 1937. Included among the historical articles published in the city's newspapers were: "Treasured Relic a Gift to City- Corporate Seal of Larned Town Co.," "Circular Distributed in 1893 Recalls Early-Day `Boom Period'," and "Copy of Articles of In- corporation of the Larned Town Company," in The Tiller and Toiler, August 19; "Sheriff L. W. Webb, Pawnee Pioneer, Recalls His 'Hottest Spot' as a Peace Officer," and "Old Water Mill at Browns Grove Was Erected in 1879 by Mayer and Johnson," in the Chronoscope, August 26. Names of the pioneers who registered and the dates they came to Pawnee county were listed in both newspapers September 2.
In observance of the fiftieth anniversary of the coming of the Rock Island railroad Herington celebrated by staging a "Goldesta" August 29, 30, 31, September 1 and 2, 1937. The Herington Times-Sun, which frequently prints Dickinson county historical feature articles in its regular issues, expanded to a sixty-two page illustrated fiftieth anniversary issue on August 24 as its "Goldesta edition." Histories of the city's churches, clubs and lodges were recorded. Other articles were: "The Old Home Town," by Arthur J. Carruth, Jr.; "Vision, Energy of Founder, Responsible for Herington," and "Juan de Padilla a Connection Between St. John's and Past," by Arthur J. Farrell; "V. F. W. Founding Important Day," by Frank T. Doyle; "'19 Copy 7' Frequent When Trains Ran in Many Sections," by R. E. Scheder; "City Property Once Part of Railroad Land"; "Company I Organized in Same Month U. S. Entered the War"; "Herington Women Responsible for the Beauty of Sunset Hill"; "Veteran Cavalryman [W. G. Thompson] of Hope Recalls Days of Indian Wars"; "The Tribune First Paper Issued Here"; "Mrs.
Koepke's Parents Came Here In 1859"; "Monument In City Park in Honor of Franciscan Friar"; "Herington Boomed With the Coming of the Rock Island"; "Our First Library"; "Herington's First Band"; "Much Publicity for the Town From Herington Ladies Band"; "Local Legion Post Is Named for a Corporal [Carey R. McClaren] of Company I"; "Letters From Notables of the State and Nation"; "Newspapers Have Played Part In Fifty Years of Progress"; "Post Office Construction Is Improvement for Herington"; "Rock Island Depot Has Become Kansas Landmark in 50 Years"; "Early Herington Builders Laid Good Foundation for Education"; "Missouri Pacific Rails Took Herington Out of Backwoods," and "Herington Acquired Utilities Shortly After Incorporation." The Advertiser, of August 26, included the following among its historical articles: "M. D. Herington Founded City in 1887," "A. M. Crary," "Fray Padilla," and "History of the Herington Post Office." For several months preceding the "Goldesta" The Advertiser featured the column, "Sketches in Herington's History."
Histories of the bands of Tipton, Smith Center, Luray, Cawker City, Osborne, Sylvan Grove and Lucas were briefly sketched in the Sylvan Grove News, August 26, 1937. The story of the Sylvan Grove band was reviewed in more detail in the issue of August 19.
Reminiscences of early Logan county were recorded by John W. Edwards, of Wichita, in a letter printed in The News Chronicle, of Scott City, August 26, 1937. Mr. Edwards settled in St. John (Logan) county in 1883.
Merriam school history was recounted in The Suburban News, of Merriam, August 26 and September 2, 1937. A new school building was dedicated September 7.
The history of Paradise school district, started over sixty years ago, was sketched by Elma Dodson in the Paradise Farmer, August 30, 1937. Mary Wood taught the first class.
Pioneer memories of Mrs. Mary Northway who settled in Osborne county in 1872 were recorded in an article published serially in the Portis Independent, in its issues from September 2 through October 7, 1937.
"Some Accurate Johnson County History," an address by Frank Hodges given at the fortieth annual reunion of the Johnson County Old Settlers' Association at Olathe, September 3 and 4, 1937, was printed in The Johnson County Democrat, September 9. An article entitled "Some Johnson County Indian History," by Frank D. Hed-
rick, was featured in the Democrat's special old settlers' supplement issued September 2. Both the Olathe Mirror and the Democrat printed names of pioneers registering at the reunion and other notes on the event in their issues immediately following.
Woodbine's history was reviewed by Bernice L. Muenzenmayer in the Herington Times-Sun, September 7 and 9, 1937.
Several articles of historical interest, were printed in Marion newspapers contemporaneous with the annual old settlers' picnic September 16, 1937. The newspapers, dates and titles of stories published were: Marion Review, September 15, "Early Settlement of Lost Springs," by Mrs. William Burkholder; "[Henry Hartke] Marion County Pioneer Knew `Wild Bill' Hickok," and "Census of Marion County Territory August 6, 1860." Marion Record (illustrated), September 16, "A New Story of How an Early Day Indian Massacre was Averted Here," by Silas C. Locklin, as related to his son, Chas. S. Locklin; "Early Pilsen Community History," by Mrs. Jane Crist Rupp; "Pioneers Up and Down Mud and Clear Creeks," by N. A. Jones; "Lewis Riggs a Pioneer on Middle Creek," by Mrs. Lewis E. Riggs; "Early Days in East Branch Township," by C. F. Brooker; "History of College Hill School," by Mrs. Frank Rhodes; "Sid Holder Helped Build Stone Arch Bridge," and "Ferd Funk's Most Embarrassing Moment." Record, September 23, "Beginnings in the Canada Community," by H. J. Siebert. Mrs. William Burkholder's address, "An Appreciation of the Old Settlers," was printed in the Review, September 22, and in the Record, September 23.
The story of Chief Tonganoxie, for whom the city of Tonganoxie was named, as written by Col. George Griffith, of San Antonio, Tex., for an old settlers' reunion several years ago, was reprinted in the Tonganoxie Mirror, September 16, 1937.
Stockton telephone history as related by J. H. Ewing, before a recent meeting of the Stockton Rotary Club, was recorded in the Rooks County Record, September 16, 1937. Telephone service was begun in Stockton late in 1900.
The history of Immanuel Lutheran Church, organized in 1887 at Shadybrook, Dickinson county, was briefly reviewed in the Herington Times-Sun, September 16, 1937, from notes prepared by the Rev. W. G. Biel, pastor.
Names of Logan county pioneers registering at Oakley's fifty-second birthday celebration were listed in the Oakley Graphic, September 17, 1937.
The reminiscences of Mrs. Isaac Hudson, nee Louisa Jane Case, were briefly sketched in the Fredonia Daily Herald, September 17, 1937. Mrs. Hudson was born at the Sac and Fox agency located in the boundaries of present Franklin county, in 1852.
A biography of Col. Alexander Showalter, Thomas county pioneer, was printed in the Colby Free Press-Tribune, September 22, 1937.
On September 23, 1937, Smith Center celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the coming of the Rock Island railroad to the city.
Several columns of historical articles relating to this event were published in the Smith County Pioneer and Smith County Review in issues preceding the celebration.
The Pittsburg Headlight and Sun issued their (1937) ninth annual coal supplement as a part of their regular editions of September 27 and 28, 1937. Stories of modern coal mining methods together with the community's coal mining history are included in the supplement.
Lucas held a "Golden Jubilee" celebration October 6-8, 1937. The Lucas Independent in issues throughout the summer and fall printed articles relating various phases of the town's early history. On September 30 an anniversary edition was issued. Names of pioneers registering during the jubilee were listed in the October 14 number.
Reminiscences of western Kansas pioneers were featured in a series of articles in The Kearny County Advocate, Lakin, in the fall of 1937.
Logan school history as compiled by Mrs. Fred C. Albright was recorded in the Logan Republican, September 30 and October 7, 1937. Rufus Hastings taught the first school in 1873.
Names of northeastern Jewell county pioneers were recalled by Mrs. Jennie S. Owen in a letter published in the Republic Advertiser, October 7, 1937.
Southern Kansas in 1874 was described by J. W. Yeager, pioneer, in the Winfield Daily Courier, October 7, 1937. Mr. Yeager settled in the Oxford community in October, 1874.
Fredonia's history was reviewed in the Fredonia Daily Herald, October 7, 1937. The city observed its annual homecoming celebration October 9. Mrs. E. E. McGimsey's recollections of life in Hays in the 1880's were recorded by Jean Fuller for the Hays Daily News, October 9, 1937. The McGimsey's arrived in Hays on September 12, 1883.
Lyons celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the discovery of salt in its vicinity with a jubilee October 14, 1937. The Lyons Daily News related the history of the industry in a special illustrated edition issued October 12.
Salem church of Leavenworth celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its organization with special services October 14-17, 1937. Its history was reviewed in the Leavenworth Times, October 13.
An historical parade and a pageant depicting the story of the city were features of Hays' seventieth anniversary celebration October 20, 1937. Mrs. Josephine Middlekauff's " 'Child's-Eye' View of Pioneer Hays," was included among the historical articles in the anniversary edition of the Hays Daily News, October 14. The story was a reprint from the News of November 11, 1929.
Historical articles of note to the Liberal area published in The Southwest Tribune of recent dates include: "Whining Bullets and Sizzling Slapjacks," when cowboys shot up a lunch room, October 14, 1937; "Liberal's Banking Institutions Have a Creditable History," the story of the city's three banks, November 4; "A View of Forty Years Ago; Abe Stoufer, His Adventure," December 2, and "Buffalo, Wild Horses and Cattle in Panhandle of Oklahoma [in the late 1880's]," December 9.
The Huscher Evangelical Church near Concordia observed the sixty-fifth anniversary of its founding October 24, 1937. The congregation which started in 1872 with six charter members now numbers 117. A brief history of the church appeared in the Concordia Blade-Empire, October 22.
Minnie Hauk, famous opera singer of the latter part of the nineteenth century, once lived in Leavenworth the Times reported in its issue of October 24, 1937.
Domestic life at Fossil, later Russell, was discussed in Judge J. C. Ruppenthal's column "Russell Rustlings," featuring the life of John Cook, pioneer, in the Paradise Farmer, October 25, 1937. Excerpts from Col. Asa Kinney's diary which were previously mentioned as appearing in the column in the summer of 1937 were continued in several issues during the fall. Members of the Russell county bar fifty years ago were named in the November 15 issue, and stations along the old Denver trail in the vicinity of present Russell were mentioned December 6.
Kearny county history was briefly sketched by Mrs. J. H. Rardon in the Lakin Independent, October 29, 1937.