First of a series of commemorative monuments marking historic points in Osborne county has been located on the south side of Highway No. 24, two miles east of Bloomington. The marker, completed in March, 1938, was erected at the scene of the last Indian fight in the county, which occurred on July 3, 1870. The monument is of stones, cut and arranged to represent the old stockade which once stood about 200 yards farther south.
The twelfth annual meeting of the Kansas History Teachers Association was held at Kansas State College in Manhattan, April 9, 1938. Three papers were presented at the morning session under the general theme "International." They were: "Looking at Latin America," by C. Stewart Boertman, Kansas State Teachers College, Emporia; "Japanese Viewpoints on Far Eastern Problems," by W . W. Davis, University of Kansas, Lawrence; "The Loyalist. Experiment in New Brunswick," by Harold Conrad, Ottawa University.
In the afternoon, under the general heading "National and Regional," the following papers were given: "Western Operations of the Second Bank of the United States," by W. T. Paullin, University of Kansas; "The Evolution of a Land-Grant College, 1863-1938," by Julius T. Willard, Kansas State College, Manhattan; "Research and Resources of the Kansas State Historical Society," by Kirke Mechem, Topeka. Two scheduled speakers, John Rydjord of the University of Wichita, and Vance Burch of Kansas City Junior College, were marooned at home by snowdrifts.
Officers elected for the ensuing year are: James C. Malin, University of Kansas, president; Harold Conrad, Ottawa, vice president; Della Warden, Kansas State Teachers College, Emporia, secretary-treasurer, and Robena Pringle, Topeka High School, executive committeewoman.
The Calvin P. Titus Chisholm Trail Association, designed to provide funds for the erection of monuments marking the route of the Chisholm trail from Wichita to the Oklahoma border, was organized at a meeting held in Wichita in May, 1938. Officers of the association are: David D. Leahy, president; Ezra Beard, Albert M. Curry, Fred W. McClintock, Harry Van Ness, vice presidents, and Warren Matthews, secretary-treasurer. The first trail monument was erected in April on the John McQuillan farm about 100 rods east of
Clearwater under the auspices of Calvin P. Titus Camp, No. 5, United Spanish War Veterans. It is of Silverdale limestone, and is seven feet in height.
Prehistoric Antiquities of Indiana, a 293-page book by Eli Lilly, written to interest more of the people of Indiana in the relics of the state's vanished predecessors and to stimulate inquiry into its prehistory and archeology, was published a few months ago by the Indiana Historical Society of Indianapolis. The chapter entitled "The Origin and Antiquity of the American Indian," is of interest to everyone. Archeologists, both amateur and professional, will have especial interest in other chapters discussing Indian artifacts and cultures of Indiana. The volume is amply illustrated with photographs and maps.
Recent booklets issued by W. W. Graves, of St. Paul, not previously mentioned here, are: The Legend of Greenbush, The Story of a Pioneer Country Church (in Grant township, Crawford county) and The Poet Priest of Kansas, Father Thomas Aloysius McKernan.
Grant W. Harrington, of Kansas City, has reviewed the history of the Shawnee Indians in a 16-page pamphlet issued in 1937 under the title, The Shawnees in Kansas. The Western Pioneer Press, of Kansas City, was the publisher.