Hill City, Graham County, Kansas
attractive appearance about the interior of the store that proves an inducement to a prospective buyer.
Although they carry a good line of boots, shoes and dry goods, they give special attention to the grocery department and the market. The groceries handled are as fresh and pure as money can buy, and the large room permits of the display of the immense variety of canned and preserved goods. A stock of this kind is not only a necessity but a positive benefaction to a town of the size of Morland, and the enterprise of the firm is to be commended. They have a well equipped meat market in connection with the business and carry all kinds of fresh and cured meats in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables in season. Some people say that Ellis and Cunningham have the best market in the county.
Their soda fountain, the only one in Morland, has an extensive patronage. The soft drinks and confectionery department was the nucleus around which this $7000 store was built.
It had its origin eight years ago in a $25 confectionery stock managed by Mr. Elliss sister, Mrs. W. R. Cunningham and was bought two years ago by Ellis and Cunningham. A year ago they suffered a heavy loss by fire which was partially covered by insurance.
The extensive trade is divided between the country and the city patrons, many of whom have been regular customers since the store began business.
Their trade has increased 25 per cent in the last year and this increase warrants them in making some extensive improvements within the year. They expect to build a second story on their building and add a complete clothing department. At present they take orders for tailor made clothing.
Mr. H. Ellis is a native of Kansas, has been in Morland three years and owns his home in addition to a half section of Graham county land.
Mr. H. W. Cunningham has been in Kansas 22 years and in Morland six years. He owns a half section of land in addition to his home where he resides with his wife and one child.
Since Morland is the center of a wheat belt and ships several hundreds of thousands of bushels of wheat annually, it is easily understood why this large and complete milling concern was located there.
It is acknowledge [sic] that a large flouring mill is itself a great help to the development of the county, paying annually large sums for grain and furnishing a home market. This mill, a large three story frame building costing $12,300, has an output capacity of 100 barrels a day and a grain storage capacity of 5,000 bushels. A complete milling business is carried on, the output consisting of flour, corn meal, graham and chop feed. There are four grades of flour, the high grade called The Winner, the second grade called The Faultless and the two low grades.
The mill is run by a 40 horse power Fairbanks gasoline engine and the machinery is, almost exclusively, the Barnard and Leas. It has the Barnard and Leas rolls, plan sifters, purifiers, cleaners, scourers, dusters and reels. The mill was established less than a year ago and has a large local trade up and down the branch.
Mr. Nichols the proprietor of this large milling concern, came to Morland last fall from Russell county, where he was engaged in the milling business since 1873. He was born in Wisconsin, but spent the greater
part of his life in Minnesota.
Mr. Nichols has a war record of five years in the 4th Minnesota regiment and did excellent service during the entire time.
He brought with him to Morland his wife and two children, a girl of 18 and a boy of 11 years. There is no part of the milling business which Mr. Nichols does not thoroughly understand and fully appreciate. He has worked in a mill, practically all his life having begun at the age of 14, in his fathers mill.
Mr. Nichols, because of his business ability and pleasing personality, will surely become an important and valuable addition to the business life of Morland and Graham county.
The history of G. W. Collins has been closely identified with that of Morland and Graham county, for more than 21 years. He was a native of New York, but in early boyhood moved with his parents to Illinois and was reared and educated there. He enlisted in the 105th regiment, Illinois volunteers and was with Sherman in his march to the sea. After three and one-half years of faithful service on the firing line he was mustered out and returned to Illinois.
In 1885 he came with his family to Graham county where he has since continuously resided. 15 years ago he came to Morland from his 280 acre stock farm on Rock creek which he still owns.
Mr. Collins engaged in the general mercantile business in Morland, with a stock of $250. Since then he has increased it to $10,000.
He carries a fine stock of fancy groceries, and a splendid line of shelf goods, also a complete line of staple dry goods, he expects soon to enlarge it in kind and quality. Mr. Collins is making extensive improvements in his store. He is adding 50 feet back and putting in a side entrance. In
this addition he expects to conduct a new and up-to-date grocery store.
The ceiling of the old room is to be raised two feet, and an entire new front with two large plate glass windows will add materially to the appearance of the store.
The $1400 in improvements will make this building worth $3000, and having as it does a desirable corner location will be one of the best store rooms in town.
Mr. Collins owns his home, a neat well improved residence of seven rooms, this he values at $3000.
Of the three Collins children, only one is in the home town. Mr. and Mrs. Collins, in spite of their pioneer life and advanced age, are among
the active and enthusiastic citizens of Morland. Mr. Collins has always been a staunch Republican and has actively participated in all political and public movements. For six years he has been Postmaster of Morland, which though a third class office, has three star routes and one rural route. Mr. Collins is also President of the Morland State Bank.
One of Graham countys most unostentatious and kindly business men distinctly independent and straightforward, one who has helped much the growth and development of Morland and Graham county, one who is loved and respected by rich and poor, one whose counsel is sought on all questions of importance and whose assistance to the needy and deserving has often been along channels of which the public knew but little is our worthy and honored fellow-citizen G. W. Stober.
Mr. Stober is a man of well balanced mind, of great business ability, who is never found lagging behind, but is always in the front rank of workers for the advancement of education, moral worth or material development. In short he is the sort of man who by his sterling qualities
of mind and heart, builds himself into the life of a community and men on every way and by-way in Graham county will tell you of his intrinsic worth and great kindness of heart.
Mr. Stober is a native of Iowa, where he was educated and grew to manhood. In the summer of 1887 he came to Graham county and bought a small business building in Morland. But a few days following the purchase, the well remembered tornado of August fourth 1887, swept that section, completely [sic] destroying Morland and with it Mr. Stobers new and
only possession. That misfortune left him in a bad condition, financially, but with the determination which has always characterized him, he immediately rebuilt the store room and put in a $250 stock of goods with borrowed capital on which he paid two and one-half per cent. per month, bank interest. The difficulties to be met with in those early days can fully be appreciated only by those who had the actual experience.
There were no railroads in the county and the merchandise was freighted across the county. Years of drouth and consequent poverty of the farmers ensued, and there was no money to be paid for goods. But Mr. Stobers faith in his countys possibilities never faltered and when Graham finally became the prosperous and thriving county that she is, she rewarded her loyal friend G. W Stober, in no mean way. Beginning with a small stock of general merchandise his interests grew until his busi-enterprise [sic] consisted of nearly every sort that is necessary to a trading point in an agricultural district. The farmers took their grain to the Stober elevator. Mr. Stober bought their hogs and cattle. The women went to the Stober stores to sell their produce and buy their groceries, hardware, and lumber; if there was money left it was deposited in the Stober bank. Today G. W. Stober owns 4,000 acres of fine Graham county land, and is worth between $75,000 and $100,000.
His prosperity, he owes to his energy and perseverance and to Graham countys wonderful growth. While men would take undue advant-
age of the people who must trade with him, Mr. Stober took care not to do this, and no man could have more completely the confidence and trust and regard of his acquaintance than has Mr. Stober.
This fully demonstrated when in 1905 he was elected by a large majority as representative of the 105 legislative district on the Populist ticket. Mr. Stobers good sense and business experience make him one of the capable men in the county for the position. Having been a resident of Graham county for twenty years he is fully identified with her interests. He knows well our needs and has the ability to present them to our legislative body and to maintain the credit and good name of our beloved county. It has been his aim to do his duty, as he saw it, regardless of consequences and while he admits that there are honest difference of opinion, he believes each should stand by the dictates of his conscience.
While he is a stalwart populist and was elected on that ticket, he has the confidence and support of the entire county, regardless of creed or party bias.
Mr. and Mrs. Stober live in their beautiful home in Morland, a home which shows the natural refinement and culture of its owners and which is always open alike to the friend and to the stranger.
A man who would win fame in the ranks of farmers and stock raisers must have specific training and make up his mind to continuous study and unceasing toil. To the man who possesses the grit to steadily work his way ahead surmounting the obstacles which always precede success much credit should be given. Such a man is Sidney P. Langley who owns a 1500 acre farm, lying one mile west of Morland in the Solomon valley. For a combination of acreage, beauty and utility this farm has not an equal in Graham county.
Mr. Langley was born in Nebraska and when but two years old came
with his father, Rev. Jack Langley to Kansas. In 1887 the family came to Morland and 3 years later bought the farm on which they now reside, at that time containing 160 acres. At his fathers death, six years ago, Sid assumed the responsibility of the home and in the absence of the younger brother Frank, who is in New Mexico, lives with his mother on the farm.
Of the 1500 acres in the farm 500 are under cultivation, 100 in alfalfa, 300 in corn and the remainder in small grain. Alfalfa though comparatively new in this country has long been known to Egypt, Greece and Italy as Lucerne. The most desirable soil for this plant is that of fertile creek or river bottom land, well drained and not subject to inundation.
Mr. Langleys alfalfa lands are typical of this laying as they do in the well drained bottoms of the Solomon river and he raises a fine crop each year. There are four crops a season each averaging one and one-half tons to the acre. This hay is handled by a McCormick Stacker with a capacity of 40 tons per day.
Mr. Langleys farm is exceptionally well improved and one of the features which demonstrates his thrift is the provision he has made for the care of his stock and implements. A fine machine and work shop shelters $2000 worth of implements. The spacious well built barn, one of the finest in Graham county, will accommodate 200 head of stock and has a storage capacity of 100 tons of hay and 4,000 bushels of grain. The barn, together with the scales is valued at $3,000.
There are three houses on the farm, two of which are occupied by tenants employed on the place all connected with telephones owned by Langley.
Besides extensive farming, Mr. Langley is ambitious to do pure bred, stock raising and is fast realizing this ambition. He is equally interested in horses, cattle and hogs, and breeds only Percheron horses, Aberdeen
Angus cattle and Berkshire hogs. The head of each herd is a pure bred registered animal. The Percheron horses originally came from France and were imported into the United States where they are bred and reared extensively. They no doubt stand among the first of the draft breeds of the world. The Percheron has excellent conformation attractive style, activity and endurance, amazing strength for the weight, docile disposition, considerable speed united with power and seems to favorably, recommend himself to western farmers and stockmen. Pickadore, the black Percheron beauty of the Langley Farm, weighs 1800 lbs., and is valued at $2000. He stands at the head of a herd of 35 of his kind.
The Aberdeen-Angus is fast coming to be an important beef breed in the bovine world. He is fast breaking into the breeding districts of the west, perhaps because rapid changes of climate do not affect him and too, he can be kept in better condition on the same amount of feed than any other breed. It has been truly said the black on the block are the ideal of the butcher. Mr. Langleys registered Aberdeen-Angus, is Archie of Highland, weighing 1750 pounds at three years old, value $250. In the herd there are 75 cows and heifers and 50 calves, a good representation of high grade cattle 170 head yearling, two and three year old steers.
The Berkshore hog as a meat producer is well nigh invincible. She belongs to a quick growing easy fattening type that attains heavy weight on Kansas corn and alfalfa and too, she is the best hog under cattle, and is very prolific.
Mr. Langleys Shanghai, the head of the farms 250 Berkshires, is but eight months old, weight 300 pounds and is worth $50. Mr. Langleys thrift and excellent judgment is evidenced in every particular of his farm-ranch, and it would seem that his possibilities are limitless.
Old methods and old things are passing away. Customs so popular in early days succumb to the fads of the moment. Modern ideas have displaced ancient; old men are relegated to oblivion by younger men of more progressive ideas. And it is he whose name heads this article that is one of the foremost of the latter class.
Mr. W. R. Cunningham has for seven years had charge of one of Morlands elevators, four years in the employ of the Poor Elevator Co., and three years in the employ of the Hoffman Elevator Co.
He has held this position with honor to himself and with satisfaction to his employers and has established the fact that he is methodical, competent, and industrious. Mr. Cunningham is imbued with most progressive ideas possessing fare executive ability enterprise and energy. By studious and close attention to business he has kept himself in the front rank of the young business men of the county. Three years prior to his employ in the elevator he was in the grocery business. He sold his stock to Ellis and Cunningham but still owns the building in which the business is conducted. Mr. Cunningham is a director in the Morland State Bank and owns seven dwelling houses which he leases besides his new and modern home which is just being completed. He owns three quarters of land valued at $9000. He handle [sic] much of the grain shipped from Morland. In 1903, 195,000 bushels passed through his elevator and this year 130,000. This is a large storage elevator with a capacity of 10,000 bushels and equipped with a seven horse power gasoline engine. The elevator expects to handle the Hoffman flour for sale or exchange for wheat.
Mr. Cunningham is known to all as one of our rising young men whose grit and enterprise is bound to carry him to success.
As a rule the important part played by banks is not fully appreciated
by the public. A majority look upon them as simply a place of safe keeping for money and have no adequate conception of the fact that they constitute a most important factor in the success of all legitimate enterprises. The feeling afforded to a business community by the possession of a responsible banking institution whose methods, and principles are founded upon ripe judgment and broad experience and whose financial status is beyond question, can not be over estimated. Of such a character is the Morland State Bank, organized in February, 1904 by G. W. Collins, G. W. Stober, D. J. Hanna, E. E. Mullaney, W. H. Hill, B. Hill, D. C. Kay and others.
The officers are: G W. Collins, President; W. C. Brown, Vice President; and D. C. Kay, Cashier.
The capital stock is $10,000 and aside from the 10 per cent. cash dividends paid since the organization of the bank, there is a surplus of $3000.
The bank building, owned by the bank is located on the main street. It is neatly furnished with modern fixtures. The heavy vault and timelock safe are fire proof and are equipped with an electric burglar alarm[.] The bank has 200 fire proof private boxes for the use of its depositors. Such a bank does credit to the financial stability of any town and its policy and management are worthy of emulation.
The people show their appreciation of, and confidence in this management by their deposits which are now $50,000. The loans of the bank which are principally on chattels and cattle, amount to $30,000.
The following is the last statement of the bank at the close of business on the sixth day of April, 1906.
|Loan and discounts||$38,273.35|
|Furniture and Fixtures||625.71|
|Cash items other than reserve items||85.93|
|Cash and sight exchange, legal reserve||19,998.30|
|Capital stock paid in||$10,000.00|
|Certificates of Deposit||8,705.75|
|Overdrafts on other banks||-------|
In addition to the general banking business the bank does a land and insurance business, last year selling 28 quarter sections of land. The principal stock holder and cashier of the Morland State Bank is D. C. Kay, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1863 and came to America in 1875.
After eleven years in Philadelphia, New York and Kansas City he went to Chicago where 3 years later he was married. Mr. and Mrs. Kay left Chicago at once on the Missouri Pacific and came to Stockton, the end of the line. There they bought a buggy and team and drove west, hunting a desirable location to start in life. When some 15 miles west of Hill City the road seemed to fade from the trackless prairie, and here it was they decided to build their home on the present site of Morland. A few days later Mr. Kay succeeded in interesting six men from neighboring places in his plan for a town there. Since that time his success and Mor1ands success have been one and the same.
One of the first buildings on the townsite was Mr. Kays hotel and the first child born in the village was his son, Freemont Kay.
Mr. Kays hard and conscientious work for a score of years has told in a material way. Aside from being the heaviest stock holder in the Morland State Bank, he owns a $2500 home, a new residence which he rents and a number of lots in town, also three quarters of pasture and three quarters of wheat land.
Mr. Kay has the elements that constitute a strong and striking character. His unfaltering and never swerving purpose, never to complain or deviate, shows that he inherited much of the primeval sturdity and unyielding courage of his Scotch forefathers. With these traits of character coupled with energy and wonderful powers of tact and preception [sic], he has made himself a vital part of Morland.
In this enterprising age, the conditions under which a thriving business must be conducted differ materially from those which prevailed ten or even five years ago. Purchasers have ceased to trade with merchants from personal friendship, or because their fathers did. Goods and prices now draw patrons as they never did before. Purchasers are studying economy and not only demand reliable goods, but reasonable prices. They
have no trouble in finding these at Stober & Sons General Merchandise Store at Morland. This store has four well stocked departments and carries an $8000 stock.
The grocery department carries a full line of high grade staple and fancy groceries. The advertised leader of the shoe department is the reliable Sunflower Shoe, and they carry all sizes of ladies and childrens
shoes. The clothing and dry goods department carry a large and complete stock of their respective kinds.
One of the new and attractive features of this house is the five and ten cent counter, where bargains galore await the purchaser. Four genial and accommodating clerks are employed all of the time with an addition of several on extra busy days.
This store is keeping pace with the rapid growth and development of Morland, having a trade almost double that of last year. An eight foot cement side walk has been laid in front of the store and the building has been repainted, within the last few months.
Mr. Stober Sr., was born in Ohio reared in Iowa and moved to Graham county, Kansas in 1894. For four years he lived six miles south of Morland on a stock farm. In 1899 he moved to Studley and engaged in the Mercantile business, where he remained until 1904, when he moved to Morland and bought the General Merchandise stock belonging to his brother, G. W. Stober.
Mr. Stober has four children, the eldest son being associated in the business with his father. The family lives in Morland in their neat $2000 home.
Among the progressive business men of Morland must be mentioned Mr. F. T. Naylor who is engaged in the Land Loan and Insurance business. Mr. Naylor possesses the necessary qualifications of a thoroughly reliable and energetic business man, and commands the highest regard of his customers, and the confidence of the community in which he lives.
He carries on an extensive real estate business having on his lists some 30,000 acres of Graham county land in addition to other western Kansas and eastern Colorado lands. Much of this land is well watered and is adapted to alfalfa growing, farming or grazing. Mr. Naylor meets the demands of buyers in prices as well as in lands almost any one wishing to buy can be suited in terms.
Among the many land bargains which he has listed, is an 800 acre farm, six miles south of Penokee on Jackson creek. This is exceptionably good land, well watered and worth $12 an acre. And it can be bought on long time and easy payments. Any information in regard to investments or real estate in western Kansas or eastern Colorado will be cheerfully furnished, and any matter pertaining to the investments of non-residents will have careful attention.
On account of his conservatism and his close personal inspection of every piece of land upon which he negotiates a loan, his loans are much sought after by investors and to the borrower he is able to make the lowest possible rate of interest.
Mr. Naylor represents a number of eastern insurance companies in addition to the McPherson Hail Insurance Co., one of the oldest of its kind now in operation in the county. As a result of his activity and enterprise there are 60 people that come to Morland and vicinity in the last eighteen months from Lucas, his former home. He can be found in his office in the Morland Advance building or by telephone No. 32.
Mr. Naylor is a native of Texas, but moved to Russell, Kansas in his infancy. For seven years he owned and conducted a newspaper in Lucas, then came to Graham county four years ago and began the real
estate business. His family consists of a wife and two daughters. They live one mile north of Morland on their fine well improved farm of 80 acres which is valued at $3000.
The beautiful $3,500 farm residence of James Baird, Allodium township. Is on easy street and all made in Graham county.
Twenty-four disc, steam plow, owned by Wm. Morris, Graham county, (4 rigs in county.) Cuts 4-inch sod, 16 feet to swath, turns 40 acres per day, and consumes 1 1/2 tons of coal.