William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 8] [part 6] [Cutler's History]


The first dispensation granted to a Masonic lodge in Wyandotte was issued by the Grand lodge of Missouri, in July, 1854, to J. M. Chivington, W. M.; M. R. Walker, S. W., and Cyrus Garrett, J. W. At the first meeting, held August 11, a lodge, under dispensation, was duly organized. In May, 1855, a charter was granted by the same authority authorizing M. R. Walker, Russell Garrett and Cyrus Garrett to work under the name of Kansas lodge, No. 153. The Grand Lodge of Kansas was organized December 27, 1855, and on October 20, 1856, a charter was granted to Cyrus Garrett, W. M. George G. Vanzandt, S. W., and Henry Garrett J. W, authorizing them to work under the name of Wyandotte Lodge, No. 3 (A., F. & A. M.) Its present membership is 110 and its officers are (August, 1882,) as follows: J. W. McCluire, W. M.; I. C. Stout, S. W.; J. B. Speck, J. W.; Henry Nye, Secretary; H. T. Harris, Treasurer.

Wyandotte Chapter, No. 6 (R. A. M.), organized in October, 1866. Officers at present J. C. Welsh, M. E. H. P.; F. C. Deuer, S. G. W.; T. B. Roberts, J. G. W.; F. C. Aechternacht Secretary; E. S. W. Drought, Treasurer. Number of members, sixty.

Wyandotte Council, No. 6 (R. S. & M.), was organized in October, 1877. It has now (September, 1882,) a membership of forty, its officers being: Charles Ericssen, T. I. M.; Joseph Welsh, D. M.; T. B. Roberts, P. C. W.; William Priestly, Recorder; W. M. D. Drought Treasurer; Thomas Newton, C. G.; Charles Deuer, C. C.; Charles, Morash, Steward; Samuel Milan, Sentinel.

Mendias Chapter, No. 1, Order of the Eastern Star, was organized as early as July, 1856. It was named in honor of Mrs. Lydia B. Walker, whose Indian name was Mendias.

Ivanhoe Commandery was organized in June, 1882. James Snedden is E. C.; John H. Brown, Prelate; George Jenkins, Generalissimo; John MacKenzie, Captain-General; C. Aechternacht, Secretary; W. B. Dean, Treasurer; J. C. Welsh, S. D.; G. W. Bishop, J. D.; J. K. Proudfit, Warden. Membership, twenty.

Summunduwot Lodge, No. 3, I. O. O. F.; was instituted in October, 1857, with six charter members-- Silas Armstrong, Sr., J. A.; Fligor, J. H. Miller, I. N. White, Joseph Rosenwald and J. W. Garrett. The lodge formerly met in the old Constitution Building, but finished their hall in 1876. Present officers: N. G., James Ferguson; V. G., W. B. Cooper; Secretary, N. Dickey; Treasurer, Perley Pike; D. D. G. M., Fred Speck. Number of members 144.

Wyandotte Encampment, No. 9, was instituted in 1869, with J. C. Welch, Fred. Speck, H. W. Cook, John Bolton, W.; B. Bowman, Solomon Balmer and O. K. Serviss, as charter members. The encampment numbers sixty-two members, with the following officers: C. P., G. W.; Robaugh; H. P., E. F. Blum; S. W., J. M. Squires; J. W., N. Dickey; Scribe, J. A. Nelson; Treasurer, William Richart; D. D. G. P., J. C. Welch.

Teutonia Lodge, No. 68, was instituted January, 1871, by District Deputy J. C. Welch. Present membership sixty-eight, with officers as follows: N. G., George Metz; V. G., Simon Eckhold; Secretary, J. J. Bernhard; Treasurer, P. Kaiser.

Tauromee Lodge, No. 80, (A. O. U. W), organized January 15, 1880, with twenty-three charter members. Present officers (September, 1882) H. H. Sawyer, P. M.; W.; C. Crouthers, M. W., Joseph Phillips, Foreman; T. J. Crekweddlin, Overseer; J. E. Zeitz, Financier; J. Hopkins, Recorder; J. M. Squires, Receiver. Membership, seventy-two.

Fellowship Lodge, No. 2, Knights of Pythias, was chartered April 11, 1872. Present officers: P. C., T. G. Roberts; C. C., R. Murphy; V. C., W. L. Skinner; P. J., F. Hall; M. of E., A. R. Ford; M. of F., F. P. Strickland; K. of R. and S., B. E. Riveley ; M. of A., F.; G. Schulenberg; I. G., J. E. Ball; O. G., S. Warrey; Representative to the Grand Lodge, J. F. Hall. Number of members, 100.

Myrtle Lodge, No. 1, K. of P., was chartered February 5, 1880. Present officers: P. C., John A. Hale; C. C. W. B. Dunlevy; V. C., Charles Hardesty; P., F. C. Aechternacht; M. of E., James Phillips; M. of F., W. J. Stevenson; K. of R. and S., James Gibbons; M. at A., A. Hlatky; I. G.; James Gribble; O. G., J. W. Walters; Representative to Grand Lodge, John A. Hale. Number of members, ninety.

Germania Lodge, No. 41, K. of P.; instituted July 9, 1881. Present officers (September, 1882): P. C., A. Gardener; C. C., H. Fieser; V. C., H. Wahlenmaier; P., F. Merstetler; M. of E., H. Schmidt; M. of F.; R. Westphal; K. of R. and S., J. F. A. Miller; M. at A., N. Soeder; I. G., August Luetzow; Representative to the Grand Lodge, F. Merstetler. Number of members, forty.

Wyandotte County Industrial Society was organized in April, 1880, as the Wyandotte County Immigration Society. In March, 1881, the name was changed. The present society still aims to induce immigration to this section, and has also in view the proper exhibition of the industrial products of the county at prominent fairs. At the Bismarck fair of 1880, it took the first premium for the best exhibit of agricultural products in the State. Present officers of the society: C. H. Carpenter, President; M. B. Newman, Secretary; Perley Pike, Treasurer; W. H Young, Superintendent; J. T. Johnson, A. B. Hovey, I. D. Heath, Auditing Committee. Membership, 100.

Equitable Aid Union.-- In March, 1879, the order was incorporated by D. A. Dewey, R. N. Seaver, W.; B. Howard, H. S. Ayer and W.H. Muzzy, of Columbus, Penn. They perceived the need of a beneficiary system of a more liberal character than heretofore devised. Its objects are thus briefly stated:

1st. To unite fraternally all white persons of both sexes, socially and physically acceptable, between sixteen and sixty-five years of age.

2d. To give equal benefits to both sexes, striving earnestly to improve the moral and social bearing as well as to inspire pure and unalloyed friendship among all its members.

3d. To give woman all the rights that social equality can bestow, and to grant her all the benefits secured to man by secret organizations.

4th. To give all moral and material aid in its power to members of the order by assisting each other in business, in obtaining employment, and in sickness.

5th. To establish a benefit fund from which a sum not to exceed $3,000 shall be paid at the death of a member to whomsoever the member shall designate, or if a legatee be not mentioned to the heirs-at-law of the deceased.

6th. To see that in sickness fraternal care is at all times given, and to advance the social friendship of the members in every possible manner.

Although the first union in Kansas was organized only about two years ago, there are now twenty-two unions in the State with a membership of 1,200. There are two in Wyandotte. Dr. William D. Gentry is the Supreme President for Missouri and Kansas. The union (No. 179) of which he is a charter member, was instituted November 22, 1881, by Supreme President D. A. Dewey, of Columbus, Penn., with about thirty charter members. It has a present membership (September, 1882) of 124, with the following officers: Caleb Crothers, President; Mrs. M. Blood, Vice President; Mrs A. A. Crothers, Auxiliary; Mrs. E. Kreiser, Chancellor; T. G. Roberts Advocate; Charles R. Yeomans, Secretary; Ed ward C. Butler, Accountant; Mrs. Hulda Bartlett, Treasurer; Miss Cora Crothers, Warden; Mrs. Belle Anderson, Sentinel; Perley Pike, Watchman; Dr. W.; D. Gentry, Chaplain and Medical Examiner.

There is also a German Union in substantial working order, instituted in 1881, of which Jacob Maegley is President. It is No. 257.

Ancient Order of Foresters.-- This Is one of the most ancient orders now existing, originating in England during the time of bold Robin Hood. It is an insurance organization. and in cases of sickness its members receive $5 per week and medical attendance. The Wyandotte Court. No. 6,677, was organized in August, 1880. It now numbers sixty members, with the following officers: William Mattfeldt, Chief Ranger; William Maegley, Sub. Chief Ranger; Theodore Lippert, Secretary.

The Youths' Temperance Alliance was organized on the first Sunday in April, 1882. The object of the association is to hold an interesting temperance meeting of the children and young people of the city at one of the churches every Sunday afternoon. Present officers of the Alliance: J. W. Deal, President; Dr. W. D. Gentry, Vice President; Edward C Butler, Secretary and Treasurer. Nearly 450 persons have signed the constitution and pledge of the Alliance.

Burnside Post, No. 30, G. A. R., was organized September 30, 1881; has now about seventy members, with officers as follows: W. H. Hurry, P.C.; George B. Reicheneker, Sr., V. P. C.; William Matfeldt, J. V. P. C.; Perley Pike, Chaplain; J. S. Clark, Adjutant.

The Wyandotte Rifles were re-organized September 4, 1882, with the following officers: Captain, J. P. Northrup; First Lieutenant, H. K. Proudfit; Second Lieutenant, E. F. Servis; First Sergeant E. Walker; Second Sergeant, H. I. Parr; Third Sergeant, Charles Stone. Membership, fifty.

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (Division 81), was organized in 1874. Present officers (September, 1882): L. W. Parr, C.; E.; Charles Hilton, F. E.; Robert Murphy, S. E. Charles Ericsson, F. A. E.; Robert C.; Murphy, S. A.; John Robison, T. E. The membership is about sixty.


Wyandotte is now experiencing a decided growth, and business of all kinds is on the increase. Its retail trade is brisk, and an exhibit of these lines of trade will be found elsewhere. The city has, to some extent, developed the manufacturing interests, having already extensive railroad shops, three good flour mills, canning works, a planing mill, carriage and wagon works, several brick yards, etc., etc., in successful operation. Jacob Maegley has erected a brick building for a foundry, which will also soon be added to the list of manufactories. Notwithstanding Kansas City enterprise and "push," Wyandotte has a large territory to the west which is hers and which is continually growing.

The first manufactory established in the city or county was the grist and saw mill built by Matthias Splitlogs, the Indian, in 1852. It would be considered a sorry affair in these days, and stood near the present site of St. Aloysius Academy. In 1858, John McAlpine and James Washington erected the first steam flour and saw mill in the county, on the present site of the Kansas Valley Mills.

The old Kansas Valley Mill were rebuilt in 1879, having come into possession of Charles Lovelace and W. T. Allsup, the previous year. The old saw mill erected by McAlpine & Washington in 1858, is used for storage purposes. The Kansas Valley Mills have three run of stone, and a double set of rollers; size of building, 35x40 feet, four stories. Its patent brand is "Roller Mills," Messrs. Lovelace & Co. obtaining the first rolls in the county. The value of the property is $15,000. In August, 1882, Mr. Allsup retired from the firm, which became C. Lovelace & Son.

The Riverside Flouring Mills were built in 1877 by Messrs. Zeitz & Moeler. The present proprietors, J. P. & B. J. Northrup, came into possession in May, 1882. Their building is 60x60 feet, has three run of stone, and their best brand of flour is the "Brilliant."

On June 1, 1882, A. Staman took charge of the City Mills, which had been built ten years ago. The building is 40x40, three stories and attic, and has four run of stone. "Cyclone" is the patent brand. The property is valued at $12,000.

Union Pacific Shops.-- In the southern portion of the city, in that locality formerly known as Armstrong, are situated the car shops of the Kansas Division of the Union Pacific road. The repairing material for the 1,100 miles of road comprising the division, is furnished by these shops, which also repair all of the rolling stock, and manufacture much of it. An idea of the business transacted may be obtained from the figures furnished by S. W. Meyer, chief clerk of the motive-power department, in September, 1882: Number of men employed, 370; monthly pay roll, $18,000; entire pay roll of the motive-power department of the road, $50,000 monthly, most of this amount being disbursed at this point. James MacKenzie is division master mechanic of motive-power and car department; T. B. Roberts, general foreman of the car department; J. C. Boddington, foreman of the machine department. From September, 1881, to September, 1882, the expense of operating the motive-power department at Wyandotte, was $1,270,000, of which $650,000 was for labor, and $620,000 for material.

These figures indicate in a general way, the extent of the business which operates to the advantage of the city through these shops. A visit to them bears out preconceived ideas of magnitude. They cover fifty of the 220 acres owned by the railroad company, the dimensions of the buildings being: locomotive erecting shop, 112x120 feet; machine shop, 44x132 feet blacksmith shop, 44x132, with addition 40x60 feet; boiler shop 32x120 feet; tin shop and brass foundry, 25x75 feet; car machine shop, 80x120; coach shop, 72x250 feet; paint shop, 75x100 feet; brick round house, 64x102 feet, with ten stalls, and wooden engine house 63x144 feet, with eight stalls, besides turn table, store room, facilities for storing coal, and offices of Superintendent of Machinery, and Master Mechanic. The shops "made" Armstrong, being located there in 1870. As stated, they now form a very important item in the business activity of Wyandotte, that vicinity being a scene of life and humming and rattling industry which it is encouraging to contemplate.

The planing mill and sash door and blind factory of Ryus (W. H.) & Judd (Byron), was built in 1881, being situated on the corner of Fifth street and Washington avenue. They employ on an average fifteen men, and transact an annual business of $10,000.

In July, 1882, R. T. Bowne, of Kansas City erected buildings and established the canning works which are now identified with the industries of Wyandotte. The works have a capacity of 5,000 cans daily. This year only apples and tomatoes have been canned, next year attention will be given also to beans and peas. Mr. Bowne will make his own cans, and raise the products of his manufacture.

Banks.-- The rushing times of 1857 necessitated the establishment of better financial facilities; consequently, A. C. Davis and P. Sidney Post opened a bank on Kansas avenue, just west of Commercial alley, and Byron Judd and William McKay opened a bank and real estate office in the building adjoining the Augusta House.

H. M. Northrup, who sold the first bill of goods (wholesale) in Kansas City, and who, in 1857, in connection with J. S. Chick, established the first bank west of Lexington, and south of the Missouri River, in 1874 founded the present bank in Wyandotte. His son, M. C., also was a partner. In 1878, A. B. Northrup became a member of the firm. This is the only banking establishment in Wyandotte, the deposits averaging $200,000. The firm have just erected a fine brick building on the southwest corner of Minnesota avenue and Fifth street, which they will soon occupy.

Hotels.-- In the fall of 1855 Gen. Calhoun brought his surveyor's office to Wyandotte, and opened it in a double log building, opposite where Dunning Hall now stands. On the site of Dunning Hall was another double log hut, an Indian hotel, kept by Isaac W. Brown. The winter of 1856-57 was so very severe that the ice formed to a great thickness, and when the melting weather came, gorged itself in great masses at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers. The cat-fish were literally cast out upon the shore in tons. They were cheap food, and the proprietor of this first hotel in Wyandotte took such undue advantage of the fact, that his guests dubbed the house "The Cat-fish Hotel." Thomas J. Barker was then chief cook. Robert Ream the father of "Vinnie Ream," the famous sculptress, Chief Clerk of the Surveyor's office kept a hotel which was opened in Silas Armstrong's brick residence in 1857, by Thomas B. Eldridge. Here the stages started for the West. Mr. Ream soon afterward went to Leavenworth, where he became landlord of the old Shawnee House, and in which city he lived many years. Afterward he went to reside in Washington, where his talented daughter had become so famous. Also, to accommodate the large immigration which came to Wyandotte, Col. F. A. Hunt purchased the old steamboat "St. Paul," lying at the foot of Washington avenue, took out her machinery and fitted the craft up as a hotel and a warehouse. Mark W. Delahay - now "Judge" - was the active landlord. Shortly afterward the Garno House was completed by Mrs. Hester A. Garno and became popular with travelers. The building still stands on the northwest corner of Minnesota avenue and Third street, is a large wooden structure (three stories and basement), has thirty-one rooms, and is kept by D. Maxfield.

The Ryus Hotel, the leading public house of Wyandotte, and one of the neatest and most agreeably maintained in the State, is situated on Minnesota avenue, within easy distance of the depot, and in the center of the business district. It is a new three-story brick building, substantial in appearance without, and tastefully furnished within. The Ryus Hotel was opened June 6, 1882, having been completed by its proprietor, W. H. Ryus, at a cost of $32,000. The building is 100x123 feet, and has comfortable accommodations for seventy-five guests. Dr. P. Eager is the popular manager. Thus has been supplied a long-felt want. Mr. Ryus is an old settler of the county, and one of its most enterprising and keen business men, and in erecting and maintaining a first-class hotel, he has shown his confidence in the continued growth and prosperity of the city.


[TOC] [part 8] [part 6] [Cutler's History]