|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Toronto was laid out in 1869 by the Toronto Town Company, of which Enoch Reeves was President and Matthew Miller Secretary. As first laid out, it occupied a quarter section, one-half mile from the western line of the county, and four and one-half miles from the southern boundary. The first building on the town site (the district school) was some years older than the town, having been located at an early day. The first structure built after the laying-out of the town was a frame house of small size owned by William P. Dennis, and used both for store and residence purposes. This building stood on Washington street until the spring of 1882, when it was moved back and part of it added to the meat market of G. W. Johnston. The next building erected, also a store, was the property of S. R. Kellogg, and yet forms a part of his store building. A hotel was built in 1870 by S. P. Miller, and operated by various parties until 1882. The first professional man to reside in Toronto was Dr. A. H. Mann, who came in 1871, and is still in practice. A doctor without a drug store at his back would be an anomaly, and soon after Dr. Mann's settlement W. L. Lockard added a line of drugs to the general stock of the store. The first store carrying drugs only was built in 1879 by C. H. Starrett, who still occupies it. The second hotel in the town was opened by A. W. Fletcher, in the residence built by W. L. Lockard in 1871. The house soon passed into the hands of N. B. Rouse, who now runs it.
The growth of Toronto, lying as it did in the extreme southwest of the county, with no railway as a feeder and no hopes of becoming the county seat, was very slow. In November, 1881, nearly twelve years after the founding of the town, it had but two stores and eight or ten dwellings. With the advent of the railway came a fresh tide of life, and before the close of 1882 more than eighty new buildings had been erected.
Toronto Post Office was established on July 1, 1870, with S. R. Kellogg as Postmaster. This was upon the inauguration of the Humboldt stage mail route and the discontinuance of that from LeRoy. Upon the old route had been, a short distance north of Toronto, the post office of Pleasant Grove, established in 1858. Here Albert H. Reeves, J. W. Brown and Edwin Kellogg had successively held the not onerous duties of Postmaster. The Toronto office was held by S. R. Kellogg until 1876, when it passed to F. W. Carroll, and later to C. F. Webb, who held it until February, 1882, when it again was conferred upon S. R. Kellogg, the present official. The post office in Toronto has always been on the corner occupied by the store of S. R. Kellogg.
As has already been said, the educational history of Toronto reaches back of its existence as a town. Soon after the organization of the town company, the old schoolhouse which stood on the west line of the town site near the present railway depot was moved to the public square and enlarged. In 1882, the new schoolhouse was built at a cost of $3,000. This is a capacious two-story building of four rooms, and can seat over 200 scholars. At the present time the school has an attendance of 150, and employs two teachers--Mr. A. J. Jones and Miss Josie Byington. This educational force will soon be increased. Looking at her facilities of a few years ago, the town may well feel proud of her advancement.
The industries now represented in the town briefly capitulated, will serve to show something of its value. They are: General stores, six; groceries, one; drug stores, one; hardware, one; hotels, two; physicians, two; real estate, two; meat markets, one; furniture, one; harness shops, two; millinery, two; restaurant, one; livery stables, two; lumber yards, two. Besides these are the mill and other industries more particularly described. No one looking over this statement and recalling the vegetarian state of the town a year ago, can fail to see that the place has a substantial future before it.
Methodist Church.--The Methodists have long had religious services in the neighborhood of Toronto, but it was not until 1875-76 that a separate church edifice was erected. This structure was completed at a cost of $600, principally raised by private subscription, and is supplied by Rev. William H. Carwardine of Yates Center. A Sabbath school organized at the same time as the church has an average attendance of ninety, and is in charge of J. M. Dickinson.
Baptist Church.--The Baptist Church of Toronto was gathered together in 1877, and has increased in strength with considerable rapidity since the town has become a railway point. Services are held every second Sabbath by Rev. A. E. Lewis, of Fall River. As yet the society has no church building, but preparations are being made for erecting one at an early day.
Woodson Lodge, No. 121, A., F. & A. M., was organized on October 17, 1872, with the following officers: J. W. Kerns, W. M.; S. P. Miller, S. W.; Smith Wilhite, J. W.; W. M. Peck, Secretary; I. Darland, Treasurer. The lodge now numbers thirty-five and has the following officers: S. R. Kellogg, W. M.; E. A. Hubbard, S. W.; J. M. Montgomery, J. W.; Frank Hall, Secretary; G. R. Johnson, Treasurer. Meetings are held on each Saturday on or before full moon, and each two weeks thereafter, in the hall over S. R. Kellogg's store. The property of the lodge consists of fixtures and regalia to the value of $200.
Railroads.--The St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railway, which received $22,000 of the bonds of Toronto Township, was completed to Toronto in the fall of 1879, and at once began running regular trains. The road was soon extended to Eureka, Greenwood County, thus furnishing an outlet both east and west for the products handled at this point. The value of the road to the town can hardly be over-estimated; it has breathed into it the breath of life and made of the flaccid frame a living energetic body. Off the line of railway, unknown and having no pre-eminent qualifications to command attention, Toronto had a cloudy future; on the line of what will soon be a great thoroughfare, its future is limited only by the energy and public spirit of its citizens.
Hotel.--A large and finely designed hotel building was erected in 1881-82 by parties interested in the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita Railway. As yet is unoccupied, but negotiations are being made for its opening, which will be an event of great importance, as there is now no adequate provision for the wants of the traveling public.
Toronto Mills.--These mills consist of a combined saw and grist mill, both built in 1873 by Alexander Davis; in 1877, they were sold to W. S. Lockard and completely refitted, bringing their value up to $7,000. The saw mill has a capacity 4,000 feet per day; and the grist mill, with two run of buhr-stones, of sixty barrels of flour per twenty-four hours. Power is furnished by an engine of twenty-five horse power. This is, with the exception of the mills at Neosho Falls, the only mill in the county.
STEPHEN F. ANDERSON, farmer, Section 15, Town 26, Range 13, P. O. Toronto, came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, and located near Humboldt, in Allen County. Farmed three years and then moved to Woodson County, where he has been engaged in farming near Toronto ever since. He has taught in the public schools of Woodson and Greenwood Counties in the winter seasons ever since he came to the county, and has served as Justice of the Peace of Toronto Township four years, and a member of the school board two years. He was born in Grayson County, Va., October 25, 1823, son of Elisha and Ruth Anderson. His father was a noted preacher of the Baptist denomination in Virginia. He was raised on a farm in his native county, was educated at Glade Spring Select School in Washington County, Va., and completed the course prescribed in that institution. He taught five years in Virginia and North Carolina, and served twelve years in Virginia as Justice of the Peace. He was Major of the Seventy-eighth Virginia State Militia under the old State laws. Was married in Ashe County, N. C., November 2, 1843, to Altha C. Jacks. She is a native of North Carolina, and daughter of Richard and Pracilla Jacks. By this union they had thirteen children, ten of whom are now living--Elisha, Mary P., Ruth Ann, Vashti, Albert, Aras, Alice, Robert, Remus and John F. Anderson. Mr. Anderson and wife are both worthy members of the Baptist Church and he is a worthy Mason.
JACOB BIGLER came to Kansas in February, 1871, and after a short stay in Osage County, located on a farm in Butler County. Cultivated his farm a few years, then rented it and did mason work in Butler, Chase and Greenwood Counties until 1879, then returned to his farm, and in the spring of 1882 moved to Toronto, where he now lives. He was born in York County, Penn., October 10, 1846, son of Abraham and Sarah Ann Bigler. Lived in his native county until he came to Kansas in 1871. He was married in El Dorado, Butler County, October 21, 1879, to Anna E. Luke, daughter of David D. and Mary J. Luke. She is a native of Missouri, was educated at Keosauqua, Iowa, and taught one term in the same school when only fifteen years of age. She now carries on a millinery store in Toronto. Their only child, Ira Stanford Bigler, was born August 6, 1880.
ISAAC J. CURTIS, hardware and farming implements, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, January 29, 1840, son of Joel and Sally Curtis. He lived in his native county until eighteen years of age, then moved to Bureau County, Ill., and engaged in farming until 1859. Then went with an ox train to Denver, remained one year and returned to Illinois. He enlisted in Company B, Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, September 17, 1861. Served two years in this regiment, and was transferred to First Missouri Light Artillery, Battery H, and served as gunner until the close of the war. Was in the engagements at Fort Donelson, Fort Henry, Shiloh, Corinth, and all the battles of Sherman's campaign in Savannah. Was mustered out in June, 1865, and returned to Bureau County, Ill., where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1871. He then located on a farm in Butler County, Kan., and did ministerial work for four or five years, preaching in Butler, Greenwood and other counties. Moved to Toronto in the spring of 1882, and is now serving as Justice of the Peace. He also served in the same capacity in Butler County six or eight years. He is engaged at present in the hardware and implement business. He was married in Bureau County September 28, 1865, to Selina Frizzella, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Michael and Charlotte Frizzella. They have eight children--Harry A., Jennie E., James A., Robert Bruce, Michael Angelo, Sally E., Robert Lee and Kittie C. Curtis. He is a worthy Mason, and he and wife are both members of the Christian Church.
JOHN J. HAWKINS, mechanic, came to Kansas in May, 1859, and located at Council Grove. Was the first City Marshal of that place. Lived at Council Grove eleven years. Engaged at different times while there carpentering, milling and butchering. He next lived twelve years in Eureka, and engaged while there in carpentering and farming. Moved to Toronto February 14, 1882, and is now working at his trade. He was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., August 8, 1818, son of Joel and Clarissa Hawkins. He lived in his native county ten years, Canada West five years, and Erie County, N. Y., six years. Farmed in Erie County, then went to Michigan and was lumbering one year; then served as steward on a vessel four years on the Great Lakes, and next engaged in railroad construction work ten years. He then conducted a hotel at High Hill, Mo., three years and finally came to Kansas in 1859. He was married in Lancaster County, Ohio, in October, 1855, to Rachel Young. They have seven children--William F., Ida May, Clara J., Josephine, Earl, Newman H. and Clyde Hawkins. Mr. Hawkins, wife and several of his children are consistent members of the Congregational Church.
WASHINGTON JOHNSON, butcher, Main street, came to Kansas in 1869. Remained at Topeka a short time, returned to New York, and in 1870 moved out to Kansas. Stopped a short time at Humboldt, and finally settled on a farm in Section 22, Belmont Township, Woodson County. Has been engaged in farming ever since and still owns the farm, but at present is giving his personal attention to his butcher shop in Toronto. He was born in Ulster County, N. Y., October 6, 1842, son of James and Maria Johnson. Was raised on a farm in his native county, where he lived until twenty-three years of age. He then moved to Tarrytown, Westchester Co., N. Y., where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married in Kalida, Woodson County, January 14, 1873, to Cecilia A. Vanevery, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Vanevery, and by this union has one child--Carrie Jane Johnson. Mr. Johnson and wife are worthy members of the Presbyterian Church.
DR. TILMAN A. JONES, physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in October, 1875, and located at Twin Falls, Greenwood County, where he practiced medicine six years, and then moved to Toronto, where he is now engaged in the practice of his profession, and has already won an enviable reputation as a useful citizen and skillful physician. He was born in Spencer County, Ind., April 22, 1843, son of Thompson M. and Nancy L. Jones. He enlisted July 8, 1861, in Company E, Twenty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until December, 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability, resulting from a severe wound received while in the line of battle at Shiloh, April 6, 1862. When again able for duty, he enlisted in Company G, Tenth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, in February, 1863, and served until the close of the war. Was in many of the heaviest engagements of the war, and was mustered out in August, 1865. He then returned to his native county, studied medicine under the instruction of his uncle, Dr. W. M. Jones, and began the practice of medicine in 1874. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College March 10, 1878. Came direct from his native county to Kansas in 1875. He was married in Spencer County, Ind., December 10, 1866, to Christina E. Hesson, an accomplished lady, and a native of Indiana. By this union he has three children--Ida. E., Charles T. and baby. He belongs to the M. E. Church, I. O. O. F. and is W. M. of A., F. & A. M.
W. H. JONES, editor, was born in New York City July 26, 1831, son of Charles and Mary E. Jones. Was raised and educated in New York City. Learned the printer's trade under Fanshaw, in the American Bible House and Tract Society. He worked on many different papers in New York and Canada. At one time he owned and operated a job office in New York City; at another time he held the position of assistant foreman and proof reader on the Cincinnati Gazette. He enlisted in Company H, First Michigan Volunteer Infantry, ninety-days service, in April, 1861, and was in the first battle of Bull Run. Served his term of enlistment and again entered the army in the spring of 1862, enlisting in Company H, Twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry. Served until February, 1863, most of the time in charge of the Government printing office at Bowling Green, Ky. Was mustered out in 1863 on account of disability. He afterward took a position on the Fort Wayne Independent Democrat, and worked on that journal two or three years. He had previously run the Riverside Book and Job Printing House at Milwaukee, Wis. He moved to Omaha, Neb., in 1868, and from there came to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1869. Has held various respensible (sic) positions on some of the best journals in the State, among which we mention the Leavenworth Bulletin, Ottawa Journal and Emporia Tribune. He has been connected with almost every newspaper enterprise started in Woodson County, and is considered one of the ablest journalists in Southern Kansas. He is at present editing the Toronto Topic. He was married in Omaha, Neb., September 7, 1863, to Lydia C. Sullivan, and by this union has five children, viz.: Louise G., Josie L., Minnie M., Alice E. and William H. Jones.
SETH R. KELLOGG, merchant and Postmaster, came to Kansas in April, 1857, and located May 24, on a farm near Toronto, and engaged in farming until 1870, then moved to Toronto, and has since been engaged in the mercantile business. Was appointed Postmaster in July, 1870, and served until 1876; was then elected a Representative to the Kansas State Legislature from Woodson County, and served one term. He was again made Postmaster in January, 1882. He has served three terms as Township Trustee, one term as Clerk and one term as Treasurer. He was born in White Pigeon, St. Joseph Co., Mich., August 30, 1845, son of Edwin and Amelia E. Kellogg; lived in his native county until the fall of 1856, spent that winter in Illinois, and the following spring came to Kansas. He was married near Toronto September 5, 1871, to Catherine M. Rowe, daughter of Elias D. and Sarah Rowe, and by this union has two children--Lela and Glenn S. Kellogg. He is W. M. of Woodson Lodge, No. 121, A., F. & A. M., and is one of the oldest settlers in his county, a man whom everybody respects and trusts.
M. B. LOCKARD, furniture dealer, came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, and was one of the first who settled on the town site. He engaged in carpentering until January, 1882, since which he has been engaged in the furniture business. He has served three years as Treasurer of the School District, and two years as Township Clerk. He was born in York County, Ontario, Canada, August 21, 1834, son of Peter and Carneachy sic Lockard. Was reared and educated in his native county, and came direct from there to Kansas in 1869. He was married in Toronto, Canada, February 1, 1860, to Sarah Lemon, and by this union has five children--Catherine L., Charlota, William P., Oliver C. and Maud. He belongs to the Knights of Honor, and is recognized as one of the leading and representative men of Toronto.
W. S. LOCKARD, merchant and proprietor of the Toronto flouring and saw mills; came to Kansas in the spring of 1870; located near Toronto, and farmed two years, and has ever since been engaged in merchandising in Toronto, and at the same time has owned and operated the Toronto mills ever since 1877. He was born in York County, Ontario, Can., February 2, 1836; son of Peter and Carnearchy sic Lockard; lived in his native county until he came to Kansas in 1870. He was married in York County, Can., in March, 1860, to Caroline Hughes, native of the same county. He has five children--Arthur S., Clarkson H., Martha, Evangeline and Charles William. The first four were born in Canada; the youngest in Kansas. He belongs to the Knights of Honor; is one of the heaviest dealers in general merchandise in the county, and is one of our most reliable business men.
JAMES D. McINTOSH, teacher, P. O. Toronto, came to Kansas in March, 1881, located at Eureka, and taught the public school at Twin Falls, Greenwood County, sixteen months, then moved to Toronto, and is at present teaching in District No. 33, Greenwood County. He was born in Burritt, Winnebago Co., Ill., son of John S. and Esther J. McIntosh. He was educated at Prof. Lownsbury's Academy, Rockford, Ill., and graduated March 31, 1879. He then taught one year in his native county, and moved to Kansas in 1881. His maternal ancestors were from Holland, and his great grand-parents named Britton, located on Staten Island. His mother's maiden name was Esther J. Manchester. She is a native of King's County, N. B.; is an intelligent lady, and is now living with her son in Toronto, her husband having died in the State of Illinois, leaving her the mother of six living children--Mary E., Burritt C., Jerome J., James D., Letitia D. (deceased), Wilbur L. and Joseph E. Mrs. McIntosh and the subject of this sketch are worthy members of the Baptist Church.
DR. A. H. MANN, physician and surgeon, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, October 5, 1841, son of Albert and Mary Mann. At an early age, moved with parents to Delaware County, where he remained about seven years, then moved to Lexington, Richland Co., Ohio; remained until 1859, and moved to Knoxville, Knox Co., Ill. He studied medicine under his father's instruction until the breaking-out of the rebellion, when he enlisted in Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, September 1, 1861, and served as Hospital Steward until April, 1864, when he was made Assistant Surgeon, and in March, 1865, was promoted Surgeon. Was mustered out July, 1865. He entered the Regular United States Army as Assistant Surgeon in the spring of 1866. Was ordered to Ft. Fetterman, Wyoming Territory, October 5, 1866; remained in that department until ordered to Vicksburg, May 22, 1867; thence to Pine Bluff, Ark., July 7; thence to Meridian, Miss., June 17, 1868; thence back to Little Rock, Ark., November, 1868. He then came to Toronto in March, 1869, and practiced medicine about eleven months; during this time was on the waiting order list, and was finally ordered to Ft. Stevenson, D. T., September 1, 1871; thence to Columbia, S. C., October 9, 1872. He accompanied Custer's command on the Yellow Stone and Black Hills expedition, which started out in March, 1873. Was ordered to Grand River Agency, Dakota Territory, July, 1873, and was severely wounded by the Indians at Grand River, D. T., in May, 1874. When ordered out on Custer's fatal expedition in 1875, he at once telegraphed his resignation and went to Chicago where he practiced his profession about three years, and in 1878, came to Toronto, Kan., where he has ever since practiced medicine. Having had an extensive and varied experience in therapeutics and surgery, his skill is called into requisition in the most difficult cases, and his services are highly appreciated by the people of Woodson County. He was married at McComb, Ill., September 2, 1875, to Eleanor Eads, cousin of Capt. J. B. Eads, of Mississippi jetties fame; she is a native of Illinois, and an intelligent and accomplished lady.
THOMAS SEARS, farmer, P. O. Toronto, came to Kansas in March, 1865, located on a farm in the vicinity of Mound City, and built of logs the first storehouse ever erected in that section. It stood near the present site of Mound City. After a few days spent in Linn County, he moved to Woodson, and improved a farm of 160 acres on Owl Creek, and was Postmaster at Mt. Ariel three years. He next improved a farm six miles west of Toronto, in Greenwood County. In 1877, went to Colorado and spent two years, and is at present living in retirement at Toronto where he has a comfortable home. He was born in Warren County, Ky., March 22, 1809, son of Henry and Elizabeth Sears. He moved to Greene County, Ill., when about eighteen years of age, and served in the United States Volunteer army during the Black Hawk war, and after his return from this service, lived consecutively in Green County, Ill., Randolph, Andrew and De Kalb Counties, Mo., and the winter of 1854, fed cattle in Kaw Bottom, at Kansas City, near where the Union depot now stands. The following spring moved to Kansas. He was married in Greene County, Ill., March 22, 1831, to Elizabeth Jenet, by whom he had nine children, five of whom he raised--William L., James M., George M. D., Cynthia Frances and Sarah Ann. Mrs. Sears died June 6, 1877. William L. Sears died May 23, 1881, leaving four children, all of whom are living--Permelia A. F. (married), Thomas Osborn, Levi Eddy and William Sears. James M. Sears died in the army July 27, 1864. George M. D. Sears died October 22, 1874, leaving two children, both now living in Colorado, viz.: Minta Jane and Minnie Ann Sears. Cynthia F. was married June 24, 1851, to John A. Estep. Her husband died October 26, 1867; she now lives in Toronto, near her father, and is his only living child. She has one living daughter--Nancy Ann E., born December 28, 1852, and married October 15, 1871, to G. M. White. She now lives in Toronto; mother of three living children, viz.: Anna Philura, Laura C. and Aubred Otis White. Sarah Ann Sears died October 7, 1881. Mr. Sears is a member of the Old School Baptist Church, and is widely known and universally respected in Woodson and adjoining counties.
ANDERSON B. WALKER, minister of the gospel, Methodist Episcopal Church, came to Kansas in June, 1861, located at Coyville, Wilson County; taught school and preached there one year, then by order of conference, preached in Bourbon County one year, in Iola, Allen County two years, Coyville again one year; then sustained a supernumerary relation to conference for about six or eight years; and during this time was in mercantile business at Toronto one year. He also partly improved a farm, and then moved to Califoria, sic and remained two years, then returned to Kansas, and finally became effective, and was sent by conference to Chautauqua County two years, Thayer one year and Barbour County one year. For the last three years, he has been on the superannuated list. He has served in this State as Township Clerk two years, and Justice of the Peace two years. He was born in Montgomery County, Ill., June 16, 1825, son of Alfred M. and Elizabeth Walker. At an early age went with his parents to East Tennessee; remained five years, then returned to Illinois, where he lived until he came to Kansas in 1861. He was married in Montgomery County, Ill., November 2, 1844, to Celia J. Williams, daughter of Thomas and Celia Williams. They have had ten children, only one of whom is living--A. F. Walker.