|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Piqua is a village in Neosho Falls Township at the crossing of the St. Louis, Fort Scott & Wichita and the Missouri Pacific Railways. It is in a sort the successor of Bramlette, a station about a mile below, which was abandoned by the railway after the building of the new east and west road. The main street of the village is upon a half section line, the land upon the north being owned by George A. Bowlus, of Iola, and that on the south by P. C. T. Buck who used it for farming purposes. The town started in the spring of 1882, the store of J. W. Kesterson being the first building. Next came the blacksmith shop of John Kipp, and third the residence of Dr. J. Beekman. Street & McClure soon afterward erected a store building, which burned November 8, 1882. A schoolhouse was erected in 1882 at a cost of $1,000, and has an attendance of sixteen. It is taught by Miss Nannie Stewart. The Methodists have recently organized a society, with twenty members, at this point, and completed a church edifice in December, 1882. Services are held by the pastor of the church at Neosho Falls. A post office was established in the spring of 1882, and M. Street appointed Postmaster. The town now has one store, one school, one church, one lumber yard and a dozen residences. A hotel building is in the process of erection.
ROBERT F. ADAM, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Neosho Falls, came to Kansas November 21, 1869, located near Neosho Falls and has ever since been engaged in farming and manufacturing shingles; he also manufactured sorghum syrup very extensively. He enlisted in Company K, Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, May 4, 1861, and was mustered in August 17; served twenty-two months, and was in all the engagements of his command until he was wounded at the battle of Perryville, Ky. He was discharged in December, 1862, on account of disability, resulting from wound in the left shoulder received in line of duty. He was born in the State of Virginia, May 21, 1841; son of Peter H. and Mary J. Adam. At a very early age he went with his parents to Madison, Ind., and three years later to Ripley County, in the same State, where he was raised and remained until 1869, when he emigrated to Kansas. He was married in Ripley County, Ind., February 24, 1860, to Amanda E. Spears, and by this union has eight children, seven of whom are living--Mary F., Ella M., John E., Charles C., James, Peter L. and Jessie C. Mr. Adam is a member of the I. O. O. F., Knights of Honor and the G. A. R. He is highly respected as a good citizen.
JUDGE JAMES CRANE, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Neosho Falls, came to Kansas November 19, 1859, and located at Neosho Falls. He engaged in milling until 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Ninth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. He was mustered in as a First Sergeant, and assigned to Company H, January 16, 1862; was promoted to Second Lieutenant in May, 1862, and was finally commissioned First Lieutenant in March, 1863, and commanded the company the most of the time until mustered out January 16, 1865. During the winter and spring of 1863, he commanded the Provost Guard at Leavenworth City, and during the following summer acted as Ordinance Officer and Quartermaster of the Veteran Reserve Corps at Leavenworth. He commanded his company as body guard to Gen. Blunt in the engagement at Prairie Grove, Cane Hill and other places in Missouri, and finally joined Gen. Steele, at Little Rock, Ark., in the spring of 1864 and fought in several engagements under his command. He was actively engaged during the entire war, doing border service principally; he was mustered out at Duval's Bluffs, Ark., January 16, 1865. On his return from the army, he came back to Neosho Falls and farmed for three years; then purchased and operated a steam saw-mill at the Falls for four years, and then returned to his farm, and has been engaged in farming ever since. He was elected Judge of the Probate Court in 1860, and served until his enlistment. During this year, which was the great famine year in Kansas, he visited Wisconsin and procured $10,000 worth of supplies and in addition to this by canvassing the matter thoroughly he secured an appropriation from the Wisconsin Legislature of $5,000 for the purchase of seed wheat for Kansas farmers. Mr. Crane was born in Richmond, Chittenden County, Vt., April 13, 1813, son of James and Clarinda Crane. He left his native home when twenty-one years of age and traveled three years with June, Titus, Angevine & Co.'s Menagerie; he went to Wisconsin, and soon afterward engaged in a government survey of 600 miles of section lines in the State of Iowa. Then returned to Wisconsin, and there opened and improved a farm. He afterward owned an sic operated a saw-mill at Fort Atkinson until he sold out and moved to Kansas in November, 1859. He married in Richmond, Vt., March 31, 1842, to Lydia Barber, daughter of Shubael and Mary Barber; by this union he has four children--Thaddeus, Laura (deceased), Ada M. and George A. Crane. Mr. Crane and wife are worthy members of the Congregational Church, and are both highly respected and universally esteemed for their many excellent qualities of mind and heart.
ISAAC W. DOW, lumber merchant, came to Kansas in March, 1857, and located at Neosho Falls and built the first mill and dam in Woodson County, at Neosho Falls for Col. Goss in the summer of 1857; then engaged in carpentering until the spring of 1861, when he went out with a company of commissioners appointed by the Governor to locate State school lands, returned the same fall, and on November 10th, enlisted in Company F, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and was mustered in January 16, 1862; served as First Lieutenant during his entire term of enlistment. He was in all the engagements of his command and was noted for his coolness and bravery. He was mustered out January 16, 1865, and on his return from the army, took charge of the Falls House, in Neosho Falls, and conducted the hotel about four years. In 1871, he went into the banking business, and lost heavily by the panic of 1873. He then worked at his trade until he engaged in the lumber business for S. A. Brown & Co., February 1, 1880; has been engaged in this business ever since. He was born in New Brunswick May 7, 1833; son of Oliver B. and Elizabeth Dow. At an early age he went, with his parents, to Washington County, Me. He was reared and educated in the State of Maine, and from his father learned the trade of millwright. In November, 1852, he moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he worked as a millwright one year, then moved to Waverly, Iowa, where he remained until he came to Kansas, March 27, 1857. He was married in Manchester, Ohio, January 18, 1873, to Mary Jane Connor, whose maiden name was Mannon, of Ohio. He is a worthy Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. Mr. Dow is one of the oldest settlers in Neosho Falls.
HON. DAVID W. FINNEY, Lieutenant Governor of Kansas, and hardware merchant, came to Kansas in August, 1866, and located in Neosho Falls, engaged in the grocery and hardware business, and has continuously been in the mercantile business since, and has at the same time engaged to a considerable extent in buying and selling stock. He has served one term as Justice of the Peace and in 1867 was elected to represent Woodson County in the Kansas State Legislature. In 1872, was elected State Senator, and in 1874 was re-elected. While serving in this capacity, he was made Chairman of special committee to revise the school laws, and his committee introduced the bill which comprises the present school law of Kansas. He represented his district in the State Senate until elected Lieutenanl sic Governor in the fall of 1880; has served his State in this capacity ever since, being re-elected in the fall of 1882. He was born in Annapolis, Parke Co., Ind., August 22, 1839; son of Robert and Malinda sic Finney. He was raised on a farm in his native county, and in July, 1862, enlisted on Company A, Eighty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; was mustered in as a private at Terre Haute, Ind., in August, 1862; was taken prisoner with his entire brigade at Thompson Station, Tenn., March 5, 1863, and confined in Libby Prison one month. Many of his comrades perished in this slaughter pen, and all were terribly reduced. He was finally exchanged, and was with Sherman in his famous raid through Georgia and on to the Atlantic coast. He was in about thirty-five engagements during the war, among the most important of which we may mention Resaca, Dallas Woods, Peach Tree Creek and Cassville; was mustered out as Orderly Sergeant at Indianapolis, Ind., June 10, 1865. He then returned to his native county and remained there until he came to Neosho Falls, Kan., in 1866. He was married in Neosho Falls October 3, 1869, to Helen H. McConnell, an intelligent and accomplished lady, daughter of Hiram and Malinda sic McConnell. She is a native of Indiana, but has been raised and educated in Kansas, her parents having emigrated to this State when she was but twelve years of age. Mr. Finney has two children--Warren W. and Glen D. Finney. He is Quartermaster of the G. A. R., and he and his wife are both consistent members of the Congregational Church. Mr. Finney has never sought office; has rather inclined to retirement; but his fidelity to principle, his pure moral character, his fine executive ability as well as his devotion to the State and its interests, have been recognized by the people who have honored him with a position next in rank to the chief executive of that State. He has served in every position to which he has been entrusted with credit to himself and with entire satisfaction to his constituents.
PUSEY GRAVES, Ex-Judge of Woodson County, came to Kansas in the spring of 1859; located on a farm in Woodson County, and for nine years engaged in farming, then moved to Neosho Falls in 1870, and has ever since engaged in plastering when not serving his county in some official capacity. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1860, and served four years. He represented his district in the State Legislature one term. In 1862, was elected Probate Judge of Woodson County, and served five consecutive terms, or eleven years, in all, and during eight years of this time and one year additional served as Clerk of the District Court. In 1874, was again elected Justice of the Peace, served two years and resigned. He was born near Wilmington, Del., November 10, 1813. Son of Nathan and Hannah Graves. At about three years of age, went with parents to Wayne County, Ind., where he was raised on a farm, but engaged in plastering about eleven years in that county. In 1850, went to California and engaged in mining three years. Returning via New Orleans, he met his family in Illinois and settled at Vermont, Fulton County, Ill., where he remained until 1850, and then moved to Kansas. He was married, in Richmond, Ind., July 5, 1837, to Jane W. Witchell, a native of Ohio, and daughter of John and Bathsheba Witchell, by whom he had seven children--Charles B., Mary Ann, George T., Irena, Edward Clayton, John W. and Albert Graves. His wife died August 28, 1877, and he was again married at Neosho Falls March 20, 1879, to Sarah E. Swayze, an estimable widow lady, whose maiden name was Jeffrey, daughter of Wellis and Zilpha Jeffrey. Mr. Graves is extensively known in Woodson County and adjoining counties, and combines in his character many sterling qualities which render him popular both at home and abroad.
DAVID GWIN, druggist, came to Kansas in September, 1866; located at Olathe, but the following summer moved to Ottumwa, Coffey County, where he practiced medicine about nine years, then moved to Fredonia, Franklin County, where he engaged in the drug business until burned out January 22, 1880. He soon after moved to his present location, where he carries on an extensive business in drugs and notions. He and his wife have each served several terms on School Board, and he was elected Treasurer of Ottumwa Township, Coffey County, and served two full terms. He was born in Hardinsburg, Breckinridge County, Ky., September 12, 1821. Son of Thomas and Jane Gwin. At six years of age, moved with his parents to Monroe Co., Ind. Remained there till thirty-three years of age. He graduated from the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical Institute in the spring of 1848. Moved to Brownsville, Nebraska, in the fall of 1852, and while engaged regularly in the practice of medicine, he served as Coroner one term, and Sheriff one term, and remained in the county till he came to Kansas in the fall of 1866. He was married, in Monroe County, Ind., January 12, 1844, to Elizabeth Cox, a native of Indiana, and daughter of Street and Delilah Cox. By this union he has two children--Monroe and Barton D. Gwin. Mr. Gwin is widely and favorably known in Kansas. Is a worthy member of the Christian Church, also of the I. O. O. F.
O. P. HAUGHAWOUT, farmer and horticulturist; farm adjoins Neosho Falls; came to Kansas in November, 1857, located at Neosho Falls, and for two or three years worked in a saw-mill, since that time has principally engaged in farming. He was Census Marshal in 1860 for Woodson, Greenwood, Wilson and Montgomery Counties. He has served two full terms as County Assessor, two terms as Township Trustee, and was the first mayor of Neosho Falls. He spent one year in making a descriptive survey of the M. K. & T. R. R. lands, and in the company with his brother, was afterward agent for the sale of these lands. He was born in Northumberland County, Penn., April 25, 183_, son of John and Julia Haughawout. He was raised on the farm, and lived in his native State until twenty-four years of age, when he removed to Iowa, and two years later to Kansas. He was married in his native county, in December, 1855, to Harriet A. Mettler, daughter of William and Jane Mettler. She is an amiable and accomplished lady, and a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church. They have two children--Amneh A. and Hattie. Mr. H. is one of the oldest settlers, and also one of the most useful and highly respected citizens of the county. He is identified with the Presbyterian Church.
W. J. HAUGHAWOUT, banker, came to Kansas November, 1857; located at Neosho Falls; began without capital, worked in saw and grist mill for Col. Goss until the breaking-out of the war, and was commissioned May 4, 1861, as Ensign in a company of home guards, and for six months engaged in fighting Indians and guerrillas. Then enlisted in Company F, Ninth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, and was mustered in as a private October 19, 1861. On March 31, 1862, he was made Sergeant Major of his regiment. Was promoted Second Lieutenant Company K, March 21, 1863, and was finally commissioned Captain of Company K, October 8, 1864, and served in that capacity until mustered out at close of war. He was very actively engaged during the war doing border service, scouting, hunting and fighting guerrillas, escorting trains, etc. He commanded the advance guard of Col. Plumb's force in the pursuit of Quantrell, after the massacre at Lawrence. Was in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out June 24, 1865. He then returned to Neosho Falls, and devoted his time principally to farming for two or three years, since which time he has been actively and extensively engaged in other employments, but has continued his farming, and at present has 300 acres of choice land in a high state of cultivation. In 1869, he was appointed by the Land Commissioners of the M. K. & T. R. R. to appraise their lands, consisting of 1,300,000 acres, and, in 1870, was appointed agent for the sale of their lands, and is at present, acting in that capacity. He is also the State agent for the sale of University lands. In company with C. H. Goodrich, he established the Neosho Falls Bank June 15, 1882, and now does a general banking business. He was the first County Treasurer of Woodson County, elected in 1858, and, during his two years' term of service, managed the finances of the county with great prudence and skill, only $5 coming into the treasury while he held the office. He was again elected Treasurer of Woodson County in 1872, and was re-elected in 1874; found the duties of the office more complicated by this time, but served with credit to himself and with fidelity to the people. He was born in Northumberland County, Penn., December 7, 1833. Son of John and Julia Ann Haughawout. Lived in native county until twenty years of age, then moved to Iowa, and in 1857 came to Kansas. Was married in Neosho Falls, March, 1869, to Ada Crane, an intelligent and accomplished lady, native of Wisconsin, and daughter of Judge James and Lydia Crane. Their only daughter is Laura C. Haughawout. Mr. Haughawout is a member of the G. A. R., one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Woodson County.
JOHN L. JONES, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to this State in the spring of 1872, and located at Kalida, afterward the county seat of Woodson County. He remained there four years, and came to his present location, where he has since resided, engaged in the practice of medicine. He has served as United States examining surgeon for Woodson and adjoining counties seven years; was County Physician six years; County Coroner four years, and is at present Mayor of the city of Neosho Falls. He was born in Henry County, Ky., April 29, 1850; is the son of Joshua B. and Amanda Jones; he was raised on a farm in his native county, but attended Eminence College, Ky., three or four years, and afterward the Louisville Medical College, from which institution he graduated February 29, 1872. He began the practice of medicine two years before graduation with his brother Dr. E. D. Jones, at Lockport, Henry Co., Ky., and has been engaged in the practice of his profession ever since. He came to Kansas after he graduated. He was married at Sulphur, Ky., October 25, 1877, to Dora A. Staten, an accomplished lady, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Staten, and a native of Kentucky. By this union, he has one child--Leland D. Jones. Mrs. Jones is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, while the doctor is a member of the Christian Church. He also belongs to the State Medical Society; is medical examiner for several insurance companies, and received the honorary degree D. D. S. in the Wisconsin Dental College. He is P. G. of the I. O. O. F.; has passed all the chairs in the Knights of Honor, and has been Assistant State Lecturer of the Masonic Grand Lodge for the last seven years. He is now S. G. D. of the Grand Lodge; has his membership in Valley Chapter No. 11, Humboldt; belongs to Killwinning Council, No. 8, Fredonia, and to Emporia Commandery No. 8. He is a skilled practitioner of medicine, a faithful public servant, an influential citizen, and one of the most reliable and successful business men in Woodson County.
ROBERT MOWRY, millwright, came to Kansas, March 18, 1857; reached Burlington April 8, and put up the first saw and grist mill in Coffey County, and preached on the first Sunday in June, 1857, the first discourse ever delivered in Burlington. He lived in Burlington until January, 1860, when he came to Neosho Falls and engaged in overhauling and repairing the mill owned by Col. Goss. He was overhauling a mill at Lawrence, in 1863, when Quantrell made his attack on the city. All three of the men who were working on the mill for him were killed, and the mill fired. Mr. Mowry left his hotel and went to the mill in time to put out the fire, and save the owner $6,000. While doing this, three men at the hotel were shot, and two of them killed. Mr. Mowry was providentially saved. He returned to Neosho Falls, and put in a steam mill owned by Col. Goss. He has since been in the lumber trade, and has erected the finest business house in Woodson County; he owns a half interest in this house, from the rental of which he enjoys a comfortable living. He has one of the best residences in the city, and everything about his home indicates neatness, order, ingenuity and taste. He was born in Smithfield, Providence Co., R. I., August 8, 1812, son of Robert and Mary Mowry. He emigrated, in 1830, to Steuben Co., N. Y.; there learned the trade of millwright, and has followed the business over forty years. He came direct from New York to Kansas. He was married in Cameron, N. Y., June 30, 1833, to Mary W. Willard, an intelligent and accomplished lady, who was born in the State of Massachusetts, June 27, 1816, daughter of Steuben and Betsey Willard; her people are remarkable for longevity; her mother lived to be ninety-three years of age; her paternal grandmother died at the age of ninety-nine years and six months; her maternal grandmother had seven children, six of whom lived to be over ninety years of age; and the seventh lived to be over eighty. They are both active members of the Methodist Church, and Mr. Mowry has been engaged in preaching, as opportunity affords, for over thirty years. He is noted for his ingenuity, and is zealous in the church, at home hospitable, in society genial, and in business reliable.
WILLIAM L. PARSONS, proprietor Neosho Falls Flouring and Saw-Mills, came to Kansas, in December, 1871, and located at Neosho Falls. Bought out the mills at that place, and has engaged in the milling business ever since; has built a new flouring-mill, put in new and improved machinery, and now runs four sets of buhrs in their fullest capacity. He is now serving as Chairman of the City Council. He was born in East Hampton, Suffolk County, N. Y., April 30, 1833; son of William and Anna C. Parsons. He lived in his native county until twenty-four years of age; was educated at Clinton Academy. He operated a mill in Suffolk County until 1858, then moved to Racine, Wis., but in the spring of 1859 went to Denver, and for about two years was engaged in mining. He returned in the fall of 1860 to Racine, and the following spring enlisted in Company F. Second Wisconsin Infantry, and was mustered in as Second Lieutenant April 21, 1861. Served three years and eight months, and was in all the engagements of his command. He was promoted to First Lieutenant August 8, 1861, and made Captain October 22, 1861, promoted Major October 5, 1863, and, after the battle of Gettysburg, was commissioned Colonel of the Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, but was taken prisoner before he was mustered. He was in many of the heaviest engagements of the war. He was wounded at South Mountain in the left shoulder, and at Gettysburg in the right leg. In Grant's campaign was wounded in the hand, and again in the head; the last time was left for dead on the field, and taken prisoner and held in confinement seven months and a half; was finally paroled near the close of the war, and was mustered out at Washington, D. C., in January, 1865. Soon after his return from the war, he went to Savanna, Ill., and operated an elevator two years; was then appointed United States Inspector, with headquarters at Milwaukee, Wis.; remained here one year; then started a vessel supply store in Chicago, and was burned out in the great fire of October, 1871, and, after a short visit to New York, came to Kansas in December, 1871. He was married at Neosho Falls, January 11, 1877, to Jennie E. Holloway, an accomplished daughter of Ira and Esther Holloway; she was educated at Ottumwa Seminary, but is a native of Pennsylvania; they have two children--Anna E. and William Sherrill Parsons. Mr. Parsons is a worthy Mason, and also Commander in the G. A. R., and Dictator in the Knights of Honor. He has a very pleasing address, is enterprising, honest and reliable; has the entire confidence of everybody, and is quite successful in business. Is recognized as one of the representative men of this county.