|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
In the spring of 1869 Gerat H. Hollenberg laid out the town of Hanover, on Section 9, Township 2, Range 5. William Kalhoefer and August Jaedicke were the first to settle upon it. The town was named by Mr. Hollenberg in honor of his own native Hanover, and for the five years that he resided here previous to his death, it is not too much to say that he was at the head of all the best improvements of the village, and that he was most ably assisted by Messrs. Kalhoefer and Jaedicke. He abandoned his ranch, removed the post office to the new town, and Mr. Jaedicke, the present incumbent, was appointed. In 1870 W. Wendell, Jr., started a blacksmith shop, his uncle having taken a homestead in the spring and returned East for him. The same year the Hanover House was built by H. Marguard, Charles Jockers started a brewery, Deviman & Smith a lumber-yard, and other noticeable improvements were made. The first term of school was also taught this year in the old building which had been erected the previous fall. John Turk was the teacher.
Hanover was incorporated as a city of the third-class July 5, 1872. Mr. Hollenberg died July 1, 1874, while on passage to visit his native city of Hanover. His will bequeathed $600 towards building a city-hall, provided the citizens of Hanover, Kan., would contribute an additional $1.000. This was done, and in 1875 the city hall was erected. A fire company was organized the same year. In 1872 Hanover was made the end of the first division of the St. Joe & Western Railroad, and a round-house and machine shops erected here. Under Mr. Kalhoefer's several administrations as Mayor the town has greatly prospered. It has eight general stores (Aug. Jaedicke occupying a handsome two-story brick building which cost $10,000), two hardware stores, three butcher shops, three harness shops, two drug stores, three livery stables, two boot and shoe stores, one jewelry store, one marble yard, one bakery, two restaurants, two hotels, one brewery, two furniture stores, one land office, one barber-shop, one elevator, two lumber-yards, two tailors, two grain buyers, one brick yard, four blacksmith shops, and one paint shop. W. A. Gilson, proprietor of the Washington House, also runs the stage line and carries the mail between Washington and Hanover.
The Catholic Church was organized in 1870 by the Herman Brothers and others. The east half of the old church was then built. Occasional mass was said, but a resident priest did not come until 1874, when Father Weickman took charge. In July, 1876, Father John Pichler assumed control. Through his energy a schoolhouse and residence was built during this summer and fall. The school opened in November. In 1877 the old church was enlarged to twice its regular size, and the fine brick church now occupied was commenced. Because of financial incapacity the structure was not entirely completed until the fall of 1880, the building was dedicated by Bishop Fink, of Leavenworth. A new schoolhouse, to cost $8,000, is now being built. Father Pichler's congregation is the strongest in the county, numbering about 250 families.
The Evangelical Association of North America in Hanover and at or in the vicinity of Washington was formed in 1870. Missionaries had been preaching for a year previous, but at that time Jacob Warner and wife, Jacob Gehring and Conrad Geothring, C. Berner P. E., and others organized the first class in Hanover. Rev. Messrs. Mortell, Troyer, P. Fricker, and Schesser had charge from 1870 to 1873. Mr. Fricker organized a second class in 1873 about eight miles southwest of Washington. A number of traveling missionaries succeeded Mr. Fricker in his work, and finally, in 1879, a church building was erected at Hanover. In 1880 Rev. D. R. Zellner was appointed to the mission, and a parsonage erected. In 1881 he was re-appointed.
The German Lutheran Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. Henry Roeoer, William Kalhoefer, Aug. Jaedicke, Henry Brockmeyer, Fred Runger, Jacob Mosen, B. Wolfe, Henry and Fred Allerhielegen and others being among its first members. In 1875 a church edifice was commenced, and completed in 1883 at a cost of $1,500. Rev. Charles Hawes was the first pastor, Rev. J. G. Groenmiller the present. Membership about thirty.
The Methodists have a good society, erecting a brick church in 1880. Rev. J. N. McNulty, of Hollenberg, is their present pastor. The Baptists have an organization, worshipping in the Methodist Episcopal Church building.
Hanover has a population of nearly 700, and besides it business is blessed with a number of churches and societies and a weekly newspaper. The Democrat, established by A. B. Bowman, was the first paper published in Hanover. Its first number was issued November 7, 1871. In January 1872, he removed it to Canon City, Col. Messrs. Baker & Moore started the Caucasian soon after, and in May. 1872, G. H. Hollenberg purchased it. The name was changed to Enterprise, and when P. D. Harman purchased it in August, 1872, it became the Western Independent. In November, 1877, E. N. Emmons, who had purchased the paper, re-christened it the Sun. J. M. Hood came into possession in April, 1878, and named his purchase the Democrat. The paper is a neat six-column paper, is of home print, and is well patronized as a local and a county paper.
The Hanover German Society was organized March 1, 1872, August Jaedicke, August Neugebauer, William Brandt, W. Wendell, Jr., and H. Marguard being charter members. In 1874 they partially built a hall, making an addition and completing it in 1881. It is of brick, and its substantial appearance is an index of the society's condition. About thirty regular members form the society.
The Masons in Hanover are represented by the Star Lodge No. 69, organized under dispensation, March 2, 1881, and granted a charter, February 15, 1882. The membership is about twenty. Present officers: W. J. Nevins, W. M.; D. Spence, S. W.; H. W. Heagy, J. W.; H. Marguard, Treas.; R. Wald, Sec'y; W. Jacobs, S. D.; Aug. Jaedicke, J. D.; D. Michelson, Tyler; H. O. Janicke, S. S.; H. Osendorf, sic J. S.
The Odd Fellows Lodge was organized in February, 1879, Aug. Jaedicke, Dr. W. Moll, W. Jacobs, Ch. Zabel being charter members. The present membership is about twenty -- W. J. Nevins, N. G.; H. Ostendorf, sic? V. G.; Jacob Straub, Sec.; Aug. Jaedicke, Treas.
In 1859 a town called Clifton was laid out in Clay County, just over the line. The company, composed of gentlemen from Manhattan and St. George passed the government of the "town" over to one James Fox, after they had built one log cabin. The next year Mr. Fox abandoned Clifton, Clay County, and started a new Clifton in Washington County, on the east side of Parson's Creek. He opened a store and blacksmith shop, and was appointed postmaster. In 1863 J. Haines, who had obtained possession of the site, moved the town back into Clay County. Clifton, Clay County, did not prosper this time either, and William Funnell bought out Mr. Haines and moved the town back into Washington County. A hotel was built by George Green, and there the growth of Old Clifton ceased forever. The present town was laid out by Rufus Berry in 1870. In 1871 Mr. Funnell moved his store and post-office to the new town. A. Green built a hotel and George Miller and Thomas Dolan started a general store. In December, 1877, came the railroad and the next year Hoenan & Barlow opened a hardware store, C. C. Funnell started a lumber-yard, the Pacific House was built, the school erected, and Clifton commenced to assume its present promising appearance. Clifton, as it stands to-day, is a pleasant little village of about 600 inhabitants, situated twelve miles southwest of Palmer. It contains a number of churches and societies, a good newspaper and school, one flour mill, six general stores, one bank, two hotels, one hardware establishment, two drug stores, one furniture store, one lumber-yard and grain elevator, two agricultural implement stores, two millinery stores, etc., etc. The professions are represented by one lawyer, three physicians and three clergymen.
The flour mills, operated by Messrs. C. F. Sheppele and George H. Stegman, were built by these gentlemen in 1880. Since then the mills have been twice overhauled and re-fitted with new machinery, and they are now in prime order having a capacity of eighty barrels of flour daily. They have four run of stone and two rollers. The building is 36x56 feet, three stories and basement in height, and the entire property is valued at $17,000. The best brand of flour manufactured by this firm is "The Belle of the West, I. X. L."
The bank of Clifton was organized September 1, 1881, it being the successor of the private bank established by Snider Brothers three years before. A substantial two-story brick building was erected in the fall of 1881. This is the only banking institution in Clifton. Its capital is $20,000 and average deposits $15,000. The bank does a general banking and exchange business, its officers being: M. F. Southwick, president; E. W. Snider, vice-president; C. W. Snider, cashier.
The Clifton Review was establishd sic February 27, 1879, by William & Blake. In may the paper passed into the possession of George Blake, and, in June, into the hands of C. H. Rice & Co. A. Dobbins & Co. purchased the establishment in October, and in April, 1880, N. S. Hewett, present editor and proprietor, assumed control. The Review is Republican in politics, printed at home, and a six-column folio in form. Mr. Hewett is a native of Ohio, residing in that state up to the breaking out of the war, when he came West and settled in Pawnee City, Neb. He served through the war, afterwards lived a number of years in Valley Falls, returned to his native State for a year, and in 1880 came to Clifton and purchased the Review.
The first hotel built in Clifton was the old "Parallel House" erected in 1871, by George W. Lang. The name was afterwards changed to "The Atlantic House," and in 1879 J. A. Kern took charge. This hotel contains fifteen rooms, is 35x50 feet, and is valued at $2,000.
The Pacific House is a neat, well kept hotel, opened in the summer of 1878 and built by J. L. Miller. P. S. Carpenter, its present proprietor, bought the hotel in October, 1878. The Pacific House will accommodate about thirty guests, and the entire property is valued at $5,000.
The strongest religious denomination in Clifton is the Methodist. A church was organized in 1878, by Rev. J. H. Colt, and a parsonage built in July. In the summer of 1879, chiefly through the well-directed efforts of its pastor, Rev. W. J. Mitchell (P. E.), George Funnell, H. Rundle, G. D. Seaburry and S. H. Hamilton, the society erected a house of worship at a cost of $3,000. In March, 1880, Rev. J. C. Dana was called to the pastorate. he served one year and was succeeded, in March, 1881, by the present incumbent, Rev. J. R. Schultz. The society has a membership of 150.
The oldest church in the county is that organized by the Catholics, in the spring of 1866. J. Bowmaker, T. Kingsley, N. Eslinger and P. Eslinger are among the first members. A log schoolhouse was built the same year, about three miles north of Clifton, and here services were held until 1872, when the society erected a church building. Rev. Father John Loevenich, who assumed charge in the fall of 1882, is making arrangements to remove the church to Clifton, and it is the intention to build a church in the village.
The Baptists organized a society ten years ago, removed to Clifton in 1879, and built a church. Rev. A. J. Essex, their present pastor, assumed charge in the summer of 1882. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1877, and numbers about thirty members. Rev. N. Meerken, the present incumbent, came in 1882. The Christians have a small society. Rev. John Boggs, pastor.
The district schoolhouse, built for the accommodation of both Clifton and Vining, is a large two-story wooden structure, erected in 1878. Bonds to the amount of $4,000 were voted. The pupils, numbering over 200, are divided into three departments. C. H. Rice, the principal of the school, has had charge since its organization.
As to social privileges, there are a number of secret and benevolent organizations. The Masons, Clifton Lodge, No. 122, was chartered February 15, 1882, and has already (September) about thirty members. C. C. Funnell is W. M.; C. W. Snyder, S. W.; A. J. Banner, J. W.; C. A. Elson, Treas.; F. O. Andrews, Sec.; W. C. Robb, S. D.; S. Long, J. D.
Sedgewick Post, No. 24, G.A.R., was chartered November 30, 1880. Present number of members (September, 1882), fifty-seven. Its officers are as follows: Post commander, Joseph Pym; S. V., H. R. Sturdevant; J. V., Samuel Herley; Ajt., Calvin White; Surgeon, L. W. Lynde; Q. M., Ed Short; O. D., B. F. Scott; O. G., G. W. Mowry; Sergt. Major, C. M. Woody; Q. M. Sergt., W. S. Bunton; Chaplain, W. T. Harris.
The A. O. U. W. Lodge No. 40, was organized April 17, 1880; has now nearly sixty members, and is officered as follows: W. D. Harmon, P. M.; A. C. Potter, M. W.; John Shea, F.; Jos. Greenleaf, O.; Wm. P. Funnell, R.; J. W. Chadwick, F.; C. C. Funnell, Rec.; Charles Service, G.; John Ross, J. W.; N. B. Needham, O. W.
Lodge No. 181, I. O. O. F., was organized October 12, 1881, and has now twenty-five members. Present officers (September, 1882): Geo. A. Huston, N. B.; D. C. Fraser, V. G.; N. B. Needham, Sec.; A. Roeniegh, Treas.
This is a bright growing little division town on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. It already contains nearly 400 people, although located only six years ago. The town was platted in November, 1876, and named in honor of A. W. Greenleaf, treasurer of the Union Pacific Company; proprietor, R. M. Pomeroy, of Boston. The railroad reached here in December. Prior to this, a small town named Round Grove, had been located about two miles south of the present site. Several buildings were erected and a post-office was removed to the new town and the old site abandoned. The postmaster of Round Grove, J. A. Simons, became the first postmaster of Greenleaf. He resigned in favor of W. K. McConnell, the present incumbent. A. A. Young opened the first store on the present site of Greenleaf, about the time the town was platted. On March 25, 1877, occurred an always important event -- the birth of the first child, Ralph Greenleaf Snyder. In pursuance of previous arrangements, Mr. Greenleaf presented the parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. Snyder, with a silver cup. They had opened the Greenleaf House but a short time previous, so that their accommodations were amply sufficient for the additional guest.
In the spring of 1887 the old schoolhouse, erected at Round Grove, was removed to Greenleaf, and Miss Sadie Hackey, first "manipulated" the young ideas. In 1880 a fine new structure was erected at a cost of $2,500, Prof. Charles Brown being principal, and Miss Hackey his assistant. The attendance varies from 90 to 110.
In 1878, while Greenleaf was the terminus of the Central Branch, a round-house was established at this point. But in 1880, when the road was extended to Cawker City, and Greenleaf was made the end of the first division, a new one was built. Some twenty men, including car repairers, are employed here, and as many again around the depot, dispatch office, etc.
Since 1880, Greenleaf has taken a new breath and a fresh start. The town was incorporated as a city of the third class, September 6, 1880. In the way of secret societies she has lately organized flourishing lodges of the A. O. U. W. and Knights of Pythias.
Of churches she has her share. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1877, having completed a $4,000 building in the fall of 1882. Rev. J. W. Porter served the church for about four years, Rev. S. M. Hopkins being the present incumbent. In the spring of 1877, a Baptist Society was organized by Rev. J. R. Randen, who continued in charge until 1880, when Rev. Charles Clutz was called to the pastorate. The church has a membership of about thirty. In the winter of 1871, the French Catholics organized a society at the house of Sol. Lanoux. The organization is still maintained, with Father Molier, of Cloud County, as pastor. The old schoolhouse was purchased and transformed into a suitable place of worship. In the spring of 1880 the Presbyterians organized, but their society has died out and they are without any settled pastor. In May, 1882, the English Lutherans formed a flourishing church, and are now erecting a building -- Rev. J. Schaurer, pastor. The Universalists organized in June, 1882, with Rev. Joseph Wilson as pastor.
The Greenleaf Journal was established by W. H. Besack, of Washington, January 15, 1881. In February he sold to H. A. Moore and J. A. W. Bliss. The paper was enlarged to an eight column folio. In May, 1882. Charles Barrett, its present editor and proprietor, purchased Mr. Moore's interest, and in August, that of Mr. Bliss. The Journal is independent in politics.
The business of Greenleaf is decidedly on the increase with her growth in educational, social and religious privileges. An important factor in this line is to be the Fair Association just formed (September, 1882), which is to hold an exhibition in November. It is also proposed to build a steam flour-mill. The business of the city is now represented as follows: two hotels, five general stores, three hardware, two drug stores, one bakery, and four restaurants, two lumber-yards, two grain warehouses, and four agricultural implement depots, two blacksmith and wagon shops, two liveries, one bed spring manufactory, one barber shop, etc., etc. Greenleaf has her two lawyers, her two physicians, and her two editors.
The oldest hotel is the Greenleaf House, built by A. Snyder in 1876. Soon after (1880) Greenleaf was made a division town; the railroad company erected a commodious hotel. It is maintained in fine style, W. W. Randall being proprietor. It is the Pomeroy House by name, being christened in honor of R. M. Pomeroy.
The village of Peach Creek was located in 1870, about two miles south of the present site of Palmer. In the spring of that year E. Wilson, of Sherman Township, established a store, and a Methodist Episcopal class was soon after organized, Dr. Geo. Wigg being pastor. Dr. Randall came about the same time, opened a store, and was appointed postmaster. Others came in 1871. In the spring of 1879, however, those who had settled at Peach Creek, moved to the new village of Palmer, which had been laid out and named in honor of J. Palmer, one of the first superintendents of public instruction in the count. The town was platted in November, 1878, R. M. Pomeroy, E. A. Thomas and Eliza A. Currier, proprietors. Frank Nadeau started the first store on the site of Palmer in 1879, and his father, Francis, the present incumbent, was appointed the first postmaster.
Palmer is now a village of about 200 people, containing, besides the Methodist Episcopal Society, referred to, a French Catholic Church, organized in 1879 by Louis Ray and others. Father Molier was their pastor. They built a church the same year, and have now a society of some thirty. The present pastor is Father R. A. Hoffman. Rev. J. S. Horner is pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The village has a good district school.
The business of Palmer is represented by five general stores, an elevator, a lumber-yard, an agricultural implement depot, two blacksmith shops, and one hardware store. The traveling public are accommodated by two hotels -- the Palmer House and the Central House. The latter was built by W. J. Cook in 1879, and is kept by Francis Nadeau, the postmaster. The Palmer House has just been opened.
This station situated on the St. Joe & Western Railroad, in the northeastern part of the county, was located in the spring of 1872, by G. H. Hollenberg, on his own land. He built a store on the town site, and when the railroad was extended from Hanover, C. A. Fuller built a store, and Jesse Elliott erected the Otoe House. In 1879 considerable building went on, and in 1881 J. Snider & Co. built a two-story stone building, opening a general store. In 1872 a post-office was established and R. T. Kerr appointed postmaster. J. Clapp is the present incumbent.
In 1872 a small schoolhouse was built, Miss Reynolds teaching the first term in the fall of that year. She had but two pupils, the children of R. T. Kerr, and the only ones in town. Mr. Kerr kept a store in the first building erected by Mr. Hollenberg on the town site.
At present writing, Hollenberg is a village of over one hundred people, containing in the way of business two general stores, one hardware store, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, a grain warehouse and agricultural implement depot, one hotel and a boarding house. The Ohio House was opened in 1882.
This post-office is situated about twelve miles west of Washington, off the line of railroad. The town was founded in 1869, when J. W. Taylor built a store upon land donated by Geo. Canfil. About this time A. Whitney opened a store on his claim, just west, and started a rival town of Haddam. The fight waxed hot and heavy for five years. Mr. Whitney being appointed post-master at one time, and removing the office to West Haddam. In 1874, however, he sold out his store and removed to the rival and the present town. The post-office was removed, and W. H. Taylor built a hotel. Haddam, is quiet a trading hamlet, having several stores, a lumber-yard, two blacksmith shops, and a wagon shop. It receives daily mails.
This station situated on the line between Washington and Clay counties, was laid out in the fall of 1877, by W. Haynes and Oliver Cooper, acting for the Junction City & Fort Kearney Railroad, which located a depot here. It was then called West Clifton. In the spring of 1881 the old Riverdale post-office was moved to town, and its name changed to Vining, in honor of E. P. Vining, general freight agent of the Union Pacific road. Vining contains a general store, a hardware store, a drug store, a hotel, a grain elevator, a lumber-yard, and an agricultural depot. The population, numbering about 200, depend, at present, upon East Clifton, for educational and religious privileges.
This is a small station of the Central Branch, containing about twenty-five people, situated near the head of North Coon Creek, a few miles east of Greenleaf. Elm Grove post-office was established in July, 1875, with J. R. Ober as postmaster. The post-office was removed to Barnes when the railroad reached that point in November, 1876. Henry Ober erected the first building on the town site and opened a store. The English Lutherans organized a church in August, 1879. They own a building, the Methodists worshipping in it every alternate Sunday. The only society at Barnes is the Maplewood Grange, organized in the fall of 1874. They erected a grain warehouse, in which the Congregationalists held services for a time in 1877-'78. Besides the elevator there are two general stores in the place and a boarding house.
SUMMIT (OR LINN).
The post-office of Linn was established in 1877, the name "Summit" being derived from the fact that when the railroad reached this point, it was found to be situated on the highest ground west of Atchison. William Cummins opened a store in January, 1881, and soon after F. Schwerdtfage laid out a town on Section 21, Township 4, Range 3, and built a two-story structure, which he occupied as a general store. Among the other early settlers were H. E. Billings, F. K. Fisk, Thomas Baker, John Mathews and Theo. Bedkar. There is a small Methodist Episcopal Society at Linn, and a Masonic Lodge. The lodge was granted a dispensation April 20, 1882, and organized a week thereafter. The present membership is eighteen, with officers as follows: H. E. Billings, W.M.; G. R. Nunnemaker, S. W.; E. J. Gay, J. W.; M. Johnson, Treas.; G. R. Clark, Sec.; E. S. Newsum, S. D.; A. T. Riley, J. D.; D. Lyons, S. S.; A. B. Haworth, J. S.; N. Johnson, Tiler. A G. A. R. Post has also been lately organized -- Gen. Blunt Post, No. 31. The district school is attended by about seventy pupils.
Peach Creek Village was laid out by D. T. Smouse in 1871, containing several stores and about forty people. It is on the main traveled road from Waterville, Marshall County, to Clyde, Cloud County, being in the southern part of Washington County.