|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
School District No. 1 was organized in 1861, Miss Agnes Hallowell, now Mrs. Phillip Darby, being the first teacher. The school was held at first in the "Company's House," but in 1869 the district issued bonds and the "old stone" schoolhouse was built. These were the first bonds issued for educational purposes in the county. In 1864 school district No. 2 was organized in Charleston Township. The county is now divided into 120 districts. Of the 6,000 persons of school age, nearly 5,000 are enrolled in the district schools and about 60 per cent of this number are in attendance. The county is settling up so rapidly that six new buildings are about to be erected for educational purposes. The value of school property is some $50,000, and 110 teachers are employed, the average wages of females being $27 per month and of males $33 1/3.
In 1860 the population of Washington County was 383; in 1870, 4,081; in 1875, 8,621; in 1878, 10,319; in 1882, 15,668. By townships and cities it is now divided as follows: Charleston, 501; Washington, 982; Sherman, 2,050; Washington City, 1,020; Strawberry, 1,232; Union, 672; Mill Creek, 1,321; Clifton, 1,580; Hollenburg, 1,047; Hanover, 1,563; Little Blue, 1,301; Lincoln, 1,399; Hanover City, 627; Greenleaf City, 373.
The value of all taxable lands in the county is $1,565,170; of town lots, $153,043; of personal property, $618,162; of railroad property, $361,141.74 -- Total $2,697,516.74. Her citizens possess over 6,000 horses, 6,000 milch cows, 10,000 other cattle, 11,000 sheep and 21,000 swine. The above figures speak for themselves in proclaiming a prosperous county.
The Washington County Exposition was organized July 9, 1881, with officers as follows: A. G. Murphy, president; F. M. Lavering, vice-president; F. A. Head, secretary; E. N. Emmons, financial secretary; E. C. Knowles, treasurer. The exposition owns fifty-six acres of ground, sixteen acres being included in a good trotting park. The grounds are fenced with hedge, exhibition buildings have been erected, and more are to follow. The track is a half mile one. During the coming year (1883) a large floral hall is to be erected. The capital stock of the exposition is $5,000; number of shareholders in October, 1882, seventy-five, and officers: F. M. Lavering, president; William M. Allen, vice-president; C. W. Aldrach, secretary; Charles Smith, financial secretary; J. O. Young, treasurer.
Washington County Horticultural Society, an auxiliary to the State Society, was organized April 3, 1880, by Dr. Charles Williamson, a prominent member of the State organization. Its present officers are: Dr. Williamson, president; G. C. Penwell, vice-president; E. J. Nason, secretary; Wm. Cummings, treasurer. At present the society numbers about sixty members, its object being to encourage and promote the growth of fruit, shrubbery, shade, ornamental and forest trees, and hedging for fencing.
In September, 1859, George G. Pierce and David E. Ballard platted the town of Washington Center at the center of the township, then comprising the county. Papers were taken out before Rufus Darby, Justice of the Peace, by Messrs. Pierce, Ballard, Rezin C. and J. W. Darby, and M. H. Lott, on the 9th of that month and year. it was soon found, however, that the location was a little off the direct line of travel from Marysville, and the site was therefore changed to the present one, one mile north of the center. During the spring of 1860, when the township was changed into a county, the new town was platted by Mr. Pierce, assisted, as chairman, by E. Woolbert. The members of the Town Company were: Mr. Pierce, president; Mr. Ballard, clerk; H. Lott, J. W. Darby and T. Bowen, Mr. Bowen having acquired his interest from R. C. Darby. Upon the second Monday in November, 1860, Washington was selected as the county-seat. A log house had been erected by the Company, called the "Company's House," each member of the Company contributing seven logs towards its erection. In the meantime Rezin Darby, son of Rufus, and one of the members of the original Company, had, during the season's terrible drought, gone to Guthrie County, Iowa, for provisions. He was accompanied by his two brothers. In December Phil Darby returned with provisions and seed for the spring planting. The other two remained, and joined the army in the spring. Rezin was mustered into the Fourth Iowa Infantry, and was shot through the left lung, at the battle of Pea Ridge, March 7, 1862. He died from the effects of his wound a few days later. As will be seen, further on, Mr. Pierce, the energetic president of the Town Company, also gave his life in his country's service.
Soon after the "Company's House" had been erected two shanties were built in which Chris. Straum and Elgin Richards resided, that the Company might hold the two quarters comprising the town site. These men proved up their claims separately, and then deeded the land to the Company. The eighty acres of land lying south of East Washington was formerly part of the site. D. E. Ballard afterwards bought up the lots, canceled the plat and transferred the property to S. F. Snider, who disposed of it to H. C. Sprengle. In connection with the railroad company Mr. Sprengle re-platted a portion of it. Returning to the old Company house, built by Messrs. Pierce and Ballard, it is found that in 1861 Miss Agnes Hallowell (now Mrs. Philip Darby) opened the first school there. Thomas Bowen occupied the second house on the town site, it being erected by M. G. Driskell, who had settled near him. In July, 1860, Mr. Bowen put in a stock of dry goods and groceries. In the fall E. Woolbert built a hotel of six-inch logs, put up end wise, stockade fashion. This became the old "Stockade Court House." A partial drawing of city lots was made in August, 1860, some to be owned by the Town Company, and others were given to the county as an inducement to locate the county-seat here at the coming November election. When the war broke out George G. Pierce and Thomas Bowen went into the United States army, leaving the town to be governed by D. E. Ballard. Mr. Pierce is a noted and popular character in the early doings of Washington County. He was well educated, popular, and full of young yet well-directed energy. Mr. Pierce came from Wyoming County, N. Y., with Judge J. G. Adams. He was the first representative in the Legislature, and active in everything relating to the advancement of the city's and county's interests. When the war broke out, he with most of the ardent and patriotic young men of the county, left Washington to enter broader battle fields of strife. Mr. Pierce was shot at Petersburg, taken to Washington, D. C., where he was cared for by Jim Lane, but died in about a week. Death surely had hit a shining mark.
As was the universal fact, the war had the effect to bring Washington City to a standstill, but in 1866 immigration commenced to flow this way again, among those coming with the tide being Dr. Williamson, the first physician, and George W. Shriner. Two years later came James F. Tallman and Charles Smith. In 1869 the first newspaper, the Western Observer, made its obeisance to the public, and the stone schoolhouse was built for $9,000. Bonds were issued to that amount -- the first in the county. The same year came J. W. Cullimore to open his pioneer hardware store, and Thomas Haak started his lumber-yard. In 1869 A. C. Baumbarger first made his appearance as a shoemaker, and J. C. McCew as a furniture dealer; Hon. A. S. Wilson opened a law office. Within the next few years business and professional men of all kinds settled in Washington, and "early times" may be said to have ended with the year 1869.
Upon the petition of "George Shriner and fifty-five others" to Judge Wilson, of the District Court, Washington town was incorporated as a city May 3, 1875. The first election, held on the 10th, resulted as follows: Mayor, J. S. Vedder; Clerk, E. N. Emmons; Police Judge, T. J. Humes; City Attorney, J. W. Rector; Treasurer, Charles Smith; Marshal, M. Patrie. Mr. Vedder has acted as Mayor three years and is the present City Clerk. Thomas Groody is serving his third term as Mayor. Charles Smith, present City Attorney, is serving his fifth term, having acted as Treasurer three years.
In January, 1877, the Central Branch Extension of the Union Pacific road reached Washington, and the city experienced a decided revival in business prosperity. Since then nearly all her brick business structures have been erected, and her streets really commence to present a solid metropolitan appearance. She has now an abundance of general stores and those devoted to special lines. Washington is pleasantly situated, settled by an intelligent and industrious class of citizens, and though she has experienced no mushroom growth, she is growing and bound to grow. Her population is about 1,100. In the fall of 1881 a fine brick schoolhouse, three stories in height, was erected, at a cost of $15,000. It is being conducted more as an academy than a common school, and is obtaining a reputation outside the county. The building has accommodations for 500 children, and is so constructed that when it is found necessary, an additional wing can be erected without marring the symmetry of the present imposing structure.
CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1861. Rev. Messrs. R. I. Hartford and Robertson, missionary circuit riders, being the pastors in charge. Then came in succession, after their terms of service, Rev. James Phillips, 1863 and 1864; Rev. Taggart, 1865; Rev. James Phillips, 1866 and 1867; Rev. E. Chilson and Rev. M. P. Welty, 1868 and 1869; Rev. E. J. Fulford, 1870; Rev. Robertson and Rev. John Woodburn, 1871; Rev. E. W. Vandeventer, 1872 and 1873; Rev. E. R. Brown, 1874-'76; Rev. A. N. See, 1877 and 1878. In September of the latter year the society erected a neat church edifice, they having previously occupied private houses, the school building and the Presbyterian church. In 1879, Rev. J. C. Dana became pastor, and was succeeded in 1880 by Rev. Henry Frank. During this year Washington was made a station. Mr. Frank was followed by Rev. B. F. Kephart, who remained until August, 1881, when Rev. R. H. Hoffman assumed the pastorate and had charge of the church until March, 1882. Then Rev. A. H. Walter, the present incumbent, became pastor. In September, 1882, the membership of the church was about 130. the society is out of debt, and is one of the most flourishing religious organizations in the county.
First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1866, by Rev. Gary Hickman, a missionary of the Presbytery of Highland. The society numbered ten members, but before the services of Mr. Hickman could be obtained, it had scattered, some of the members having moved out of the county, and others joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. A second organization was effected through the efforts of Revs. W. B. Thomas and Edward Cooper, in October, 1869, the membership numbering fifteen. Rev. W. G. Thomas, now of Kansas City, who had been preaching temporarily, was elected stated supply for one year, and continued to act for several years. In January, 1874, a new church was dedicated, Rev. Edward Cooper, now of Cincinnati, preaching the sermon upon the occasion. Rev. L. G. Fisher had been called to supply the church in 1873, and remained its stated supply until 1875. For two years the society remained without stated services, but in June, 1877, Rev. George Hageman, the present pastor, was called to the field. The church now numbers nearly 100 members, and is growing in strength and usefulness.
Masonic. -- Frontier Lodge, No. 104, was chartered October 19, 1871, its first officers being: J. C. McCew, W. M.; John McKennett, S. W.; A. S. Markham, J. W. Present officers, September, 1882: J. G. Lowe, W. M.; G. W. Johnson, S. W.; J. W. Haines, J. W.; J. W. Barley, Treas.; S. H. Maunder, Sec.; Thomas Groody, S. D.; A. H. Foote, J. D.; N. Woodbury, S. S.; A. W. Moore, J. S.; Charles Fitch, Tiler. Membership about fifty.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. -- Washington Lodge, No. 75, was chartered October 12, 1871, G. W. Shriner, John Palmer, J. B. Baumbarger, J. B. Snyder and A. B. Baumbarger, being charter members. The present membership is about forty, with officers as follows: James Root, N. G.; W. A. Clark, V. G.; N. Woodbury, Treas.; J. P. Rockefeller, Per. Sec.; W. H. Johnson, Rec. Sec. and Rep. to Grand Lodge.
Knights of Honor. -- Keystone Lodge, No 1,473, was organized March 12, 1879, with twelve charter members and H. C. Sprengle, dictator. At present (September, 1882) the membership of the lodge is twenty-five, and the officers are as follows: T. M. Achenbach, dictator; J. M. Welch, vice-dictator; J. W. Cullimore, assistant dictator; Jacob Miller, reporter; Frank Road, financial reporter; Thomas Haak, , treasurer; H. C. Sprengle, chaplain; D. M. Evans, guide; J. Deniston, guardian; J. B. Baumbarger, sentinel; E. N. Emmons, past dictator.
Grand Army of the Republic. -- Kearney Post, No. 5, Department of Kansas, was organized July 18, 1878; following being its charter members: S. H. Maunder, United States Sergeant, Huron; P. S. Erl, Seventy-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry; A. W. Ellsworth, Eighty-ninth Illinois Infantry; E. D. Moore, Second Wisconsin Cavalry; E. N. Emmons, Sixth Wisconsin Infantry; George W. Sharp, Ninth Kansas Infantry; R. James, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Indiana Infantry; William M. Allar, Fifth Ohio Cavalry; Phillip Rockefeller, Eighth Kansas Infantry; P. R. Childers, Second Iowa Infantry; George E. Ross, Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry; John A. Bull, Twenty-third and Forty-ninth Wisconsin Infantry; G. M. Parks, Fourth Ohio Infantry; M. Stewart, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Infantry; F. M. Cox, Second Pennsylvania Infantry; Charles Smith, Sixty-first Massachusetts Infantry; J. W. Barley, One Hundred and Thirth-fourth sic Ohio Infantry; R. H. Sheldon, Twelfth Ohio Cavalry; Fritz W. Brown, Twenty-first Illinois Infantry. At present the post has a good membership, and is officered as follows: S. W. Maunder, P. C.; J. M. Welch, S. V. P. C.; John Pickard, J. V. P. C.; K. P. Aldrich, Adjt; N. M. Smith, Surg.; Charles Smith, Q. M.; J. W. Barley, Chap.; F. M. Cox, O. D.; J. W. Forbes, O. G.; W. H. Johnson, Q. L.; A. Speer, S. M.
Knights of Pythias. -- Laurel Lodge, No. 29, was instituted June 22, 1880, with J. B. Besack as P. C. Its present officers are: C. C., O. L. Taylor; B. C., W. A. Clark; K. O. R. & S., E. N. Emmons; M. of F., Julius Speier; M. of E., George H. Thiele. Its membership is about thirty.
THE PRESS AND OTHER BUSINESS INTERESTS.
On March 11, 1869, appeared the first number of the first paper published in Washington County, the Western Observer, its editor and proprietor being Mark J. Kelley. It was a little 7x9 inch sheet, office in the old stockade court house. The advent of a newspaper is generally an important event in any town. It signifies either that its turning point for the better has come, or is to be brought about through its agency. The turning point for Washington had already come, and hereafter she was never without a newspaper to foster her growth and prosperity. The Observer. was the means of drawing to Washington some of her most influential citizens, a large immigration having come into the county one year before, in the spring and summer of 1868. In May, 1870, the paper was sold to George W. Shriner and James F. Tallman, and its name changed to the Magnet. On the 25th of August, 1870, appeared the first number of the Washington Republican, editors and proprietors, M. J. Kelley, and J. O. Young. Mr. Tallman soon retired from the Magnet, and in January, 1871, J. O. Young purchased that journal from Mr. Shriner, and Mr. Kelley's interest in the Republican, consolidating the two papers under the name, Republican and Magnet. After a few months, it became plain Republican. John I. Tallman and W. P. Day, successively became proprietors during the next year, Mr. Young purchasing Mr. Day's interest in February, 1872, and selling the same to J. C. Martin and Perrine Stultz, during the following July. Mr. Martin afterwards bought out Mr. Stultz, and sold to John Guinn in January, 1874. E. N. Emmons, who had been associated with Mr. Martin for a number of months, in the publication of the Republican, purchased half of the establishment of Mr. Guinn, in June, 1874. In July he enlarged the paper to a seven column folio. In October, 1876, J. B. Besack, its present editor, bought Mr. Emmons' interest in the Republican and enlarged it to an eight column folio. Its name indicates its politics. The Republican is well printed and ably conducted, and is a reliable exponent of the standing and progress of the city and county of Washington.
Washington Register. -- This new and brisk young candidate for journalistic honors was first issued April 10, 1880, by Dr. Charles Williamson and Samuel Clarke, its place of publication being Palmer. In August it was removed to Washington city. In July, 1882, W. A. Clark became associated with Mr. Clarke, Dr. Williamson retiring. On September, 1882, the Register commenced to issue a small daily, devoted to the wants of Washington City. This is claimed to be the first regular daily paper ever issued in the county, its only possible competitor for this honor being a campaign sheet issued by M. J. Kelley and J. O. Young, from October 19 to November, 8, 1870. It was not the intention to make the latter enterprise permanent. The Daily Register suspended after a brief season. The Register is Republican in politics, a seven column folio in form, and is edited and published by an energetic and practical firm of young men.
In the summer of 1872, J. B. Snider erected a hotel on the west side of the square. It was opened in September of that year, and is now known as the Commercial House, a popular resort for travelers. The building is 52x40 feet, two stories, and will accommodate some sixty guests. The property is valued at $6,000. G. W. Sharp, the present landlord, has been in possession nearly four years.
In 1876, R. E. Foote came from Wisconsin and opened the Central House. He has since made additions to his buildings and improvements in his property, so that it is considered the first-class hotel of Washington. Commercial men, especially, flock to it and him. The Central House has now thirty rooms, is 40x70 feet in dimensions, and the entire property is valued at $8,000. Mr. Foote purchased the original building of George Wilkes. In September, 1882, A. H. Foote assumed charge of the small but comfortable and homelike hotel, called the American House. He runs in connection with it a first-class livery stable. Besides these establishment, sic Washington possesses private boarding houses and several restaurants.
The Washington County Bank was organized in September, 1878. Its officers are the same as at the time of organization: A. W. Moore, president; F. A. Head, cashier; John W. Barley, assistant cashier. The capital of the bank, which transacts a general business, is $50,000, and its average deposits, $30,000.
The Washington State Bank was organized April 1, 1881. Capital, $50,000; average deposits, $100,000. A general banking business is transacted and special attention paid to collections. Its present officers (September, 1882) are: Edwin Knowles, president; Thomas Haak, vice-president; E. C. Knowles, cashier; O. L. Taylor, assistant cashier.
The new Opera House block, completed in 1882, is a credit to Washington and an evidence of its citizens' enterprise and confidence in the city's permanent prosperity. It is an imposing three-story brick structure, ornamented with galvanized iron cornices and fancy tower. The Opera House proper occupies the two upper stories and is finished within neatly and tastefully, without being gaudily embellished. Dimensions, 52x90 feet; 24 feet ceiling; seating capacity 900. Washington is an amusement-loving town, and hence the enterprise has been, and will be supported. The block was erected at a cost of $20,000 by a stock company, consisting of Thomas Haak, G. M. Parks, E. C. Pickard, J. G. Lowe, Frank Wolf, Robert Burns and J. B. Besack. Mr. Haak has been elected president; G. M. Parks, secretary; E. C. Knowles, treasurer. One side of the lower story of the block is occupied by the post-office, the other by a store. In connection with the amusement-loving nature of the Washingtonians, it must be stated that the young men of the city have organized a cornet band, which is obtaining more than a local reputation.
In the immediate vicinity of Washington are two flour mills. The old one is about a mile northeast of the city and is run by Messrs. Welty and Johnson. They are not partners. the mill which is a water-power, being used by each a portion of the time. It was erected by S. S. Penwell in 1869, and after passing through various hands, M. P. Welty, in 1878, purchased an interest of Mr. James. The mill has two run of burrs.
CHARLES W. ALDRACH, Register of Deeds, was born at Highgate, Franklin County, Vt., March 10, 1848. He came West in 1869, settling at Fond du Lac, Wis., and learned the trade of marble-cutter, and worked at various points in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri. In 1870 he removed from Hastings, Minn., to Brantford, Washington County, Kan., and followed various occupations until 1881: when he was elected Register of Deeds of Washington County. He was married in 1870 at Prescott, Wis., to Miss Eliza Allibone. They have four children -- Mabel, born September 21, 1871, at Brantford, Kan.; William, born May 27, 1873, at Brantford, Kan.; Blanche, born June 27, 1877, at St. Louis, Mo.; Coit, born May 1, 1879, at Brantford, Kan. All living except Coit, who died November 3, 1882.
J. B. BESACK, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., July 18, 1836. At the age of sixteen he removed to Whitley County, Ind., and taught school for two years, and then worked at his trade of printer in Columbia City. In 1855 he removed to Jasper County, Iowa, and started the first paper in that county, and was engaged in the business in that county for fifteen years; also published papers in Guthrie and Shelby counties, Iowa. In 1875 he removed to Tecumseh, Neb., and rented the office of the Chieftain; which he published for a year. From Tecumseh he removed to Clay Centre, sic Kan., and published the Dispatch for a short time. In October, 1876, he bought the Republican, of Washington, Kan., and removed to that place, where he has resided since.
JAMES W. FRENCH, M. D., was born in Lowell, Mass., November 30, 1839. He removed to Wisconsin when a child, settling at Burlington, Racine County, and lived there until the war. He was educated at Beloit college, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in Washington County in 1860. He enlisted in the army July 12, 1861, in the Ninth Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery, and served in the Trans-Mississippi Department, and was stationed at various forts in Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming and Nebraska. He was mustered out a Sergeant January 1, 1865; and settled at Westpoint, Mo., and studied medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. John S. Davis, attended one course of lectures, and graduated at Rush Medical College in 1872. He settled in practice in Osage, Bourbon County, Kan., and was assistant surgeon of the Gulf Road for several years. He came to Washington from Paola in 1882, and immediately entered upon a very lucrative practice. He was married June 24, 1868 at Ellsworth, Kan., to Miss Sue Gallion. They have two children -- Eva, born May 10, 1872, and Charles, born July 25, 1876. Mr. French is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society.
W. F. HACKNEY, was born in Iowa, February 28, 1850. He came to Washington County, Kan., in July, 1874, and engaged in the agriculture implement business, real estate, loans, etc. He owns half a section of fine prairie land five miles south of Washington, with 240 acres under cultivation, and two dwelling houses thereon. There are four miles of hedge on the farm. He was married April 13, 1872, to Miss Flora E. Anderson. They have two children -- Eneid, born May 6, 1873 and Lula B., born June 15, 1878.
J. M. HOOD, was born in Vermillion County, Ind., November 18, 1827, and lived on a farm until he was of age, when he learned the telegraphers' art. In 1861, he removed to Dallas County, Iowa, where he taught school for three years at Lemon's Point. In 1863 he moved to Hamburg, Fremont county, and in 1865 he was elected County Superintendent of Schools for the term of two years: and in 1869 he was elected Representative to the State Legislature from that county. He was Mayor of the city of Hamburg in 1874, and served as a Justice of the Peace for eight years. In 1878 he removed to Hanover, Kan., and began the publication of the Hanover Democrat, and has published the same since. He was married September 30, 1861, to Miss Climena Flanders, at Adel, Dallas County, Iowa.
CAPTAIN J. H. HOWE was born in Richmond, Ind., February 8, 1842. He removed to Dayton, Ohio., when a child and soon removed to a farm in the same county. At the age of sixteen he went in the nursery business, and has been at that business since, excepting only the time spent in the army. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, First Battalion Fifteenth United States Infantry; served a year and one half and was discharged for disability resulting from wounds, having been disabled at Shiloh and other places; was wounded three times. Again, on December 4, 1863, he entered the service as Captain of Company E. One Hundred and Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until February, 1865, when he was struck by lightning and disabled, having been partially paralyzed. He was once married, but Mrs. Howe is deceased. He has one child, a daughter, Mary B. Howe, living in Iowa, and aged seventeen years.
E. C. KNOWLES, banker, was born in Burlington, Iowa, in 1856. In 1881 he removed to Kansas, and engaged in the banking business in Seneca, Nemaha County. In the same year he removed to Washington and organized the Washington State Bank, with a capital stock of $50,000. Mr. Knowles is an extensive farmer and stock-raiser, and owns 4,000 acres of land in one body, in the county of Washington. He has 1,200 head of cattle, thirty head of which are thoroughbred Short-horns; has forty head of thoroughbred horses, and 5,000 sheep. Two hundred acres of land are under cultivation.
CAPTAIN S. H. MAUNDER, Probate Judge, was born on the island of Guernsey August 14, 1832. When a child he moved to Somersetshire, England. At the age of twelve he entered the merchant service as cabin-boy, and came to America, settling in New York, and followed the sea until 1865,; but in the mean time he had settled in 1858 in Henry County, Ill. He was in the naval service of the United States during the war of the rebellion. In 1861 he entered the service, and served until the end of the war; he was in the blockading squadron of the South Atlantic coast, and was first appointed Acting Ensign, corresponding to Second Lieutenant of Volunteers; he was promoted to Acting Master, and took part in the capture of Fort Fisher. In 1869 he removed to Sherman Township, Washington County, Kan., and was in 1878 elected Probate Judge, and re-elected in 1880 and in 1882. He was married July 20, 1866, to Miss Isabella Gunning. Their children are: Mary, born January 30, 1868; Thomas, born September 17, 1869; Emma, born November 17, 1872; Fannie, born March 7, 1874; and two younger children, both deceased. He is a Mason, and belongs to the G. A. R.
R. O. MOODY, County Clerk, was born in Grant County, Ind., on April 22, 1856, and removed with his parents, when a child, to Jo Daviess, Ill. In 1870 he removed to Washington County, Kan., settling in Clifton Township. He taught school and clerked until elected to the office of Clerk of the District Court in 1880. He was married December 24, 1877, to Miss Della Webster, of Washington County. They have one child, Worth W., born July 29, 1881. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
OMAR POWELL, attorney was born in Greene County, N. Y., May 4, 1855. He removed to McLean County, Ill., with his parents in 1865, where he received a common school education. In 1874 he settled at Vermillion, Marshall County, Kan. Here he taught school for several years. he attended the Kansas State Agricultural College at Manhattan. After leaving college he studied law in the office of Col. T. Mann, of Marysville, Kan., and was admitted to the bar in 1880. He then located at Washington, and is now making an excellent reputation as an attorney. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
L. ROOT, was born in Licking County, Ohio, July 24, 1822, and lived in Ohio until he was eighteen years of age; and was educated at Marietta College. In 1841 he removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, and was a farmer, and merchant carrying a general stock; and in Oskaloosa was in the stock and produce shipping business. In 1878 he came to Kansas, settling in Washington County, and lives on a farm eight miles southwest of Washington. In 1878 in company with his son J. M. Root he started a marble company in Washington, the only one in the county, the style of the firm being J. M. Root & Co.; they use Italian and American marble and granite, and trade through Western Kansas and Nebraska. He was married September 28, 1852, in Van Buren County, Iowa, to Miss Nancy M. Burns. He has three children -- James M., Charles M. and Mary E., now the wife of Rev. Joel Battey, of National, Clayton County, Iowa. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. J. M. Root is twenty-nine years old. He was married July 6, 1875, to Miss Lillis Edgar at Oskaloosa, Iowa. They have one child, Bertha, aged six years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is now Noble Grand of Washington Lodge No. 76.
H. C. SPRENGLE, County Treasurer, was born in Frederick City, Md., May 3, 1830. In 1835 he removed to what is now Ashland County, Ohio, then a part of Richland. In 1869 he came to Kansas, settling on a farm adjoining Washington. He was appointed Postmaster in 1870, and served four years; and was elected Justice of the Peace the same year, and served five years. In 1877 he was elected Treasurer of Washington County, and was re-elected in 1879, serving the full term of four years -- the legal limitation: He was nominated both times by acclamation, and received about 1,000 majority at the last election. He was married April 8, 1852, to Miss Amelia G. Cook, of Ashland County, Ohio. Their children are: Francis J., married, and lives in Iowa; Lewis J., born May 8, 1857; Caroline M., born September 30, 1859; Preston F., born February 26, 1862; William H., born December 19, 1864; Joseph F., born January 24, 1867; Laura A., born March 21, 1870; and John A., born January 2, 1872.