|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SAVAGE - WOLFE).
W. R. SAVAGE, retail grocer, is a native of New York State; was born January 14, 1850. He was reared in the mercantile business, and received a business education. In 1867 he began teaching school in which he continued one year. He then clerked in a store two years, at the end of which time he went to Missouri, where he clerked in a grocery five years. He then came to Independence, Kan., and embarked in the grocery business, where he remained five years. In 1880 he came to Wellington and opened his present business. Mr. Savage is a stockholder in and director of the Wellington Bank, and is stockholder in and director of the Fist National Bank. He owns 480 acres of land within four and on-half miles of the city of Wellington, which he improved, and upon which he has 800 sheep and some cattle. Mr. Savage owns a residence and business properties in the city of Wellington. He loans money on short time. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1875, Mr. Savage was married to Miss Emma Green Hill, of Missouri, by whom he has three children: William R., Jr., Fred and Josephine. Mr. Savage is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Savage will build a fine stone and brick store during the year 1883.
A. W. SHEARMAN, cattle dealer and butcher, is a native of New York State, and was born in 1842. He was reared in the agricultural profession, receiving a business education. At the early age of nineteen he took the road as a commercial traveler, in which he continued three years. He then embarked in the grocery business in the State of New York, in which he continued ten years. He was next at Niagara Falls on a farm, where he remained five years, then back to New York, where he was engaged in traveling a short time, after which he came to Kansas, in 1871, and located in Wellington, Sumner County, and opened a general business, in which he continued eight years. He was then Under Sheriff two years. He was next with a wholesale grocery house a short times, and then with Wells, Fargo & Co., as agent, eighteen months, as the end of which time he opened his present business, 1883. Mr. Shearman was the first Township Trustee, and was Mayor of the city two years. He was Councilman four years. He opened and improved a farm of 160 acres. He owns two residence properties and one business property, which he built. In 1865 Mr. Shearman was married to Miss Ophelia Bennett, of Ohio, by whom he had one child, Helen A. In 1868 Mr. Shearman lost his wife, and in 1875 he was married to Miss Alwildea De Armer, of Ohio, by whom he has two children. Mr. Shearman is one of the oldest citizens of Wellington, and by his good nature and kind acts has made for himself a name that will live long in the hearts of those who know him.
JOHN T. SHOWALTER, attorney and loan broker, is a native of Missouri. His father died when John T. was a small boy. His mother took him to Ohio, where he lived and educated himself until he was eighteen years of age, at which time he removed to Illinois and engaged in teaching school, which he continued for two years, until 1861. He then joined the army and served through the war. He was twice promoted for bravery, gallant and meritorious services. Was mustered out of the service at Springfield, Illinois, in November, 1865. He then taught school and read law until 1870, and was admitted to the bar in that year. In the year 1871, he came to Independence, Kansas, then to Wellington, Sumner County, in May, 1872, and began the practice of law, and continued until 1876, at which time he was elected Register of Deeds. After his term of office expired he opened a general loan office, in which has done a large and profitable business. In 1882, he also engaged in the cattle and stock business. Mr. Showalter handles real estate on an extensive scales, buying and selling farms principally. He is an Odd Fellow in all its branches, belongs to the A. O. U. W., and to the Knights of Honor. He has improved a large number of farms, and owns from four to five thousand acres of farm land. He has built one nice residence and is now building another for sale. In 1882, Mr. Showalter organized the Sunday-school Cadets. In 1876 he was married to Miss Florence M. Harris, at Independence, Kansas. She is a native of Iowa, but was also brought up and educated in Ohio. They have three children, Florence E. Bertha R. and Meta C. Mr. and Mrs. Showalter are both members of the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Showalter always lends a helping hand to those in need, and is foremost in all charitable and benevolent undertaking within her reach. Mr. Showalter began life without means or assistance, and is a success as a self-made man.
JUDGE L. A. SIMMONS, attorney at law, is a native of Massachusetts. Was born in 1833, and reared in the agricultural profession. He received a fair education. At the age of seventeen he began teaching and going to school, graduating at the age of twenty-three, at Lombard University, at Galesburg, Ill. After one years' recreation on his father's farm he entered the University at Albany, N. Y., in 1857, graduating in 1858, as bachelor of laws. He then returned to McDonough County, Ill., where he practice law until 1862, at which time he joined the army and has honorably mustered out in 1865. He then returned to McDonough County, Ill., and practiced law until the fall of the same year, when he was elected to the office of County Judge, in which capacity he served until 1869. He then returned to the practice of law, which he continued until September, 1880. He then came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., and opened his present office. Judge Simmons being a man of great learning, and a lover of nature, a horticulturist and scientific botanist, on the 30th day of September, 1882, took charge of the horticultural column of the Wellington Democrat, in which he has already acquitted himself with great honor and praise. He has built and owns an elegant home, which he is beautifying according to his own cultivated taste and good judgment. He is a member of the order of Free Masons, also of the G. A. R. In 1857, Judge Simmons was married to Miss Linda G. Bond, of Illinois. He lost his wife in 1860. He was again married in 1865, to Miss M. Theresa Harwood, of Fitchburg, Mass., by whom he has two children, Louis H. and Myrtle T. He lost his wife in 1872, and was married to Miss Jennie Barber in 1875, a lady whose special delight is in her home and its floral treasures.
A. H. SMITH, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Wellington, was born in Cumberland County, Ky., in 1836. He was reared a farmer and received a common school and academic education. For a period of twenty years, he was engaged in the tobacco business in his native State, and in 1882, moved to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., and bought several pieces of land in various localities near Wellington, amounting to 2,000 acres, 500 acres of which is well improved. He is now feeding 200 head of cattle, and owns a town residence and four blocks of land. While living in Kentucky, in the winter of 1874-75 he represented his county, Warren, in the Legislature, serving with credit to himself and winning the approbation of his constituents. He was married to Miss Rebecca Shobe, of Warren County, Ky., by whom has had twelve children - Carria L., Herschal P., Jesse G., Moses S., Hannibal, Anna, Gilson V., Blake, Dabury W., Thomas P., Dudley and Talmadge. Mr. Smith is a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been an elder for twenty-five years. Moses S., his son, is a member of the order of Rebecca, and also of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. A. H. Smith is a splendid representative of that class of noble men, who do their share toward building up and maintaining communities, and deserves well of his countrymen.
J. C. SMITH, one of the pioneer dealers in clothing, boots, shoes, hats and caps, of Wellington and Harper, Kan., was born in Madison, Ind., in 1850. He was left an orphan when he was but six weeks old. He was reared on the rivers, railroads, and in the tobacco factories. He entered the government service in 1864, and remained there until the close of the war. In 1870, he emigrated to Sumner City, Sumner Co., Kan., where he remained about six months. He then came to the city of Wellington where he commenced in the manufacture of boots and shoes. In 1872, he discontinued the manufacturing business and opened an exclusive boot and shoe store, until 1875, at which time he added clothing and furnishing goods. In August, 1882, he established an exclusive boot and shoe store in Wellington. In March, 1881, he opened a clothing house in Harper, Harper, Co., Kan., and at the present time owns and manages the several different businesses, a clothing house in Wellington, an exclusive boot and shoe house in Wellington, and a clothing house in Harper, and is also engaged in loaning money, growing stock and handling real estate in Sumner and Harper counties. Mr. Smith owns the lands on which he grows his stock. He also owns the lots and buildings in which all of his different business are carried on. He built a residence and business house in Sumner City, in 1871. He also built three residence houses in Wellington, and seven or eight other houses in Sumner County. In 1883, he erected in Wellington, a magnificent marble block, 50x100 feet, and three stories high. In the same year he erected in Harper, Harper Co., a stone and brick business house. He was married to Miss Mary Burt, of Madison, Ind., in 1866, by whom he has three children - Edwin, Harry and Joseph. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Smith is truly and wholly a self-made man, and a man of whom any community might well be proud.
S. H. SMITH, of the firm of Smith & White, architects, is a native of Indiana; was born in 1853, and was raised in the above business. At the age of fifteen he began business for himself and worked for others until arriving at the age of twenty-three. He then engaged with Mr. White, and worked two years in Iowa, at the end of which time he came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., and opened his present business. He located a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and runs as a grain and stock farm, and he now has two car-loads of stock on the road from Kentucky, with which to stock his farm. He was City Councilman in 1882-83; he is a member of the order of Freemasons. In 1880 Mr. Smith was married to Miss Lizzie Smith, O Iowa. The above firm run (sic) a carpenter, paint, wagon, and blacksmith shop. Mr. Smith has risen to an eminence in his profession, of which any man might well be proud.
B. F. SPARR, dealer in dry goods and notions, is a native of Pennsylvania, was born in 1854; was reared in the mercantile line, and possess a fair business education. He went to Iowa in 1873, where he remained two years, and in 1875 he came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kas. (sic), and located a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and ran as a grain and stock farm three years, in the meantime clerking in a dry goods house in Wellington, where he remained until 1881, at which time he opened his present business. In 1878 he was married to Miss Minerva E. Gatliff, of Illinois, by whom he has one child - Perry Franklin. Mr. Sparr carries a stock to the amount of five to six thousand dollars. His business amounts to fifteen or eighteen thousand dollars annually. Mr. Sparr has had the pleasure of earning his property, and is one of the leading men of his town.
WILLIAM H. STAFFELBACH, attorney at law, is a native of Missouri. At the age of twenty he began teaching school at Davenport, Iowa, at which he continued for three years. Afterward entered a law office and there studied law for one year. He then attended the Iowa University and graduated in the law department. In 1878 he was admitted to the bar. He taught school at Wellington, Kas. (sic), for a short time in 1879. He opened his present law office in February, 1880. During the same year he was appointed City clerk for one year. In the spring of 1881 he was elected City Attorney, and in April, 1883, was re-elected to the same office for two years. He bought 320 acres of land, of which he has improved a portion. In 1883 he bought 160 acres, which he has also improved. Mr. Stafflebach is a member of the Odd Fellows and Free Masons.
JOHN STAUB, dealer in grain, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, P. O. Wellington, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in 1831. He was reared in the mercantile business, and received a fair education. At the age of fourteen he began clerking in Allegheny City, Pa., where he continued five and a half years. He then went to California, crossing the plains in 1852; remained there five years, when he returned to Allegheny city, where he remained until 1859. He then went to Stark County, Ohio, and erected a store building and went into the mercantile business, in which he continued from 1859 to 1873. He then moved to Canton, Ohio, and began the milling business, which he followed for two years there, and two years in Mansfield, Ohio, where he built one of the finest brick mills in the State. He sold out in 1877, and moved to Wellington, Sumner co., Kas. (sic), and settled on his present home, a farm of 100 acres, which he has improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. In the meantime Mr. Staub was one year in the Wellington mills. He is a stockholder in the Sumner County Creamery. He is also a stockholder in the C. Au tman (sic) & Co. Works, manufacturers of reapers and mowers, Canton, Ohio. He is now giving the fine stock business some attention. He has 100 fine Short-horn and Jerseycattle (sic), and will cross with a fine Polled Angus bull which he has. Mr. Staub has a fine assortment of fruits on his farm, and if he continues to improve and beautify his home a few years more he will have a paradise of his own. He built and owns a brick block in Wellington. He is a member of the order of Free Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, and of the Presbyterian Church. He was married November 17, 1859, to Miss Catharine Muckley, of Stark County, Ohio, by whom he has five children - Minnie J., Clement M., Lizzie S., Ida Z. and John Garfield. Mrs. Staub is also a member of the Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM THOMPSON, miller, was born in Canada in 1827, and was raised in the agricultural business. He came to the United States in 1845, and stopped in buffalo three years. He then went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he was in the milling business. Then to Dane County, Wis. In 1878, he came to Kansas and located in Wellington, Sumner County, and worked in the machine business for F. G. Smith & Co. one year. He then bought a half-interest in the Oxford Mills at Oxford, Sumner Co., Kan., which he still operates. Mr. Thompson buys and ships all kinds of grain from Wellington and Oxford. His mill is situated on the Big Arkansas Rivers, where he probably has the best water-power in the State. He is also a feeder of cattle and hogs. Owns a fine residence adjoining the city of Wellington. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and is also a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. He was married to Miss Mattilda M. Patterson, of Canada, by whom he had six children - George J., Fred W., Ida (deceased), Maggie I., Clara, Emma May. Mr. Thompson lost his wife in 1878.
M. S. THRAILKILL, general merchant, was born in 1832, in Missouri. At eighteen years of age he started for Salt Lake City with a Government train. In 1857 he returned and wintered on the North Platte. The next year was at Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1858 went to Denver, Col., under Col. Estees, where he remained two years. He then went to Morris County, Kan., remaining till May, 1864. He then established a mail route from Council Grove, Kan., to Topeka, a distance of sixty-five miles, and carried the United States mail for two years. He then went to Nebraska City, and carried on the dry goods business six years. July 13, 1877, he registered in Wellington, Kan., where he embarked in the mercantile line. Has improved two farms, one of 160 acres, and one of eighty acres, and was four years in the grain and stock business. Has built three residences and two business properties in Wellington. He assisted in laying out and organizing the town of Abilene, Kan.; also aided in incorporating the towns of Wellington and Colwell. Was Township Treasurer several terms. In 1863 was one of the commissioners that made the exchange of goods and money for the Mexican women whom the Indians had stolen. In March 1867, was married to Miss C. Floney, of Missouri; had two children, Maggie and Celia B. In August, 1880, he lost his wife, and in 1882 was married a second time, to Miss Dora Floria. Mr. Thrailkill is one of the representative men of his section.
JOHN L. TROUT, of Wellington, Kas. (sic), engaged in the real estate, loan, insurance and collection business, is a native of Indiana. Was born A. D. 1847, at Middletown, Henry Co., Ind. Was raised in the agricultural profession. Received a fair education. A. D., 1864, he enlisted as a private in Company F, One Hundred and twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Went immediately into active service. Participated in the battles of Buzzard Roost, Altoona Hill, Resaca, Atlanta, Ga., Nashville, Tenn., and Wise's Fork, N. C. When mustered out he ranked as First Corporal. Was honorably discharged A. D., 1865. In 1866 he attended high school. In 1867 he taught school, and in 1868 he attended Guntry & Hollingsworth's Business College at Cincinnati, Ohio, and finished a commercial education. In 1869 and 1870 studied pharmacy and was engaged in the drug trade. In 1871 was engaged in the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company. In 1872 he came West, first to Nebraska, and thence to Leavenworth, Kas. (sic), at which place he was connected with a life and fire insurance company for some time. In the early part of 1874 he permanently located in Wellington, Sumner Co., Kas (sic). His pecuniary circumstances preventing him from engaging in business for himself, he clerked, carried government mail, and worked at anything to make an honest living and save a penny. In 1876 was employed with Minor & McDonald, conducting their loan business. In 1877 was appointed Deputy County Treasurer, in which capacity he served until October, 1880; he also held the office of City Clerk three years, and Township Clerk one year. October, 1880, he was appointed Deputy Clerk of the District Court for Sumner County, and served in this capacity till January 10, 1883, at which time he engaged in his present lucrative business. Mr. Trout has by his industry, economy, integrity, honesty, and close application to business, accumulated a competency which places him beyond want. Has helped materially in building up the county and city, and particularly the benevolent institutions. He owns real estate in the county and city amounting to several thousand dollars. Owns some fine live stock, mining stocks, and is a stockholder in the Wellington bank. Was married November 6, 1881, to Miss Alice C. Barton, on New Brunswick, by whom he has one child, St. John. Mr. and Mrs. Trout are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and other benevolent societies, and are living a happy, prosperous and contented life.
F. M. WELLS, dealer in new and second-hand furniture, is a native of Indiana; was born in 1842, and was reared in the agricultural profession; obtained a high school education. At the age of twenty-one years, he embarked in the mercantile business on his own responsibilities, at which he continued two years, after which he was engaged at running a saw-mill, ten years; then on a farm three years, in Kansas. In 1883, he came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kas. (sic), and opened his present business. He is a member of the Grange organization and the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Wells was married to Miss Elizabeth McClintick, of Indiana, in 1882, by whom he has two children - Oliver and grace. Mrs. Wells is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Wells started in life without fortune, and is now one of the leading men of his place, in his line of business.
F. B. WEST, physician and surgeon, was born in Virginia, in 1849. His time, until he was twelve years of ages, was spent in the district school and academy. At the age of sixteen years, he commenced the study of medicine in his father's office, who was a physician, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1872, having received his degrees, he commenced the practice of medicine with his father, with whom he continued for a time, and emigrated to Osawatomie, Kas. Here he practiced but a short time, when he was appointed Superintendent of the State Insane Asylum, in 1876. Some time in the following year, he resigned his position of superintendent, which resignation was held in abeyance over several of the meetings of the Board, until his health giving away, he was compelled to abandon his supervision of the asylum, when he removed to Wellington, Sumner County, in 1877, where he formed a partnership with Dr. Wood, in the practice of medicine. At the end of two years he severed his connection with Dr. Wood, and associated with Dr. Brengle, with whom he continued for a year and a half. Finally, after several other changes, he became associated with Dr. Brengle, with whom he is still associated. He owns stock in the Bank of Wellington, and is vice-president of the same. Also owns 100 lots in the city of Caldwell. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity; is master of the lodge, and king in the chapter; and also belongs to the order of the Knights of Honor, of which he is secretary. He was married to Miss Annette Farwell, daughter of the late Judge Farwell, of Freeport, Ill., and related H. J. V. and J. B. Farwell, of Chicago, by whom he has three children - Luther, Frederick and Edith Frank. Mrs. West is a member of the Baptist Church. Dr. West is a gentleman of fine address, quick perception and well calculated to succeed in any community.
CHARLES WILLSIE, attorney, was born in London, Canada, in 1843, where he resided with his parents till ten years of age, attending the common school some portion of the time. In 1853 his parents removed to Burr-Oak, Winneshiek Co., Iowa, where, in 1859, his father died. Charles still remaining at home with his mother till 1861, when he commenced attending the select school of Prof. Southwick, where he continued for two years. From here, he entered the Lenox College of Hopkinton, Iowa, where he remained, pursuing a general course, for two years. In 1864, the whole school broke up and enlisted in the army as one hundred-day men, under the command of their principal, Prof. James McKean. At the expiration of his time in the army, he returned to Iowa, where he entered the Upper Iowa University of Fayette, where he remained for a year and a half. After leaving the University he engaged as a farm hand, and continued at that service for a year and a half, during which time he assiduously devoted his spare moments to the study of law. On coming to Kansas, he entered the law office of the Hon. B. F. Simpson, of Paola, where he remained a year. In the spring of 1871 he left Paola for Meriden. From Meriden he went to Sumner City and entered a piece of land. At the end of a week's stay, having concluded that Meriden would not be the county seat, went to Oxford, where he took a claim, built a log-house, and remained three months. He then returned on foot to Paola in September, 1871, where he was admitted to the bar December 8, 1871, and on the 24th of the same month, started for Oxford, Sumner County, and made the whole distance - 180 miles - on foot, where he remained till 1876, engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1872 he was elected County Attorney for Sumner County for one term, at which time he came to Wellington. In 1880 he was again elected County Attorney. He owns a farm of 240 acres, town property, and one hundred lots in the city of Caldwell. He is also considerably engaged in the graded stock business, having on his farm about forty head of fine Short-horn cattle, which he makes a specialty, running his farm under his own supervision. Was at one time Clerk of his school district. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, and an Ancient Odd Fellow. He was married to Miss Martha Manning, of Burr-Oak, Iowa, November 26, 1876, by whom he has had five children - Charley, Willie, Hester, Roy, and Lulu. Of the five children all are dead but Willie. He is an accomplished lawyer, and one of the 'legal lights' of this county, and of this section of his State.
G. W. WINN, manufacturer of saddles, bridles and harness, is a native of the State of Missouri, and was born 1859. He was reared in the agricultural pursuits, receiving a fair education. At the age of sixteen he embarked in the harness business in Missouri, at which he continued three years. He then went on the range as cowboy in Texas, where he remained three years, at the end of this time he again embarked in the saddle and harness business in Springfield, Mo., where he remained eight months. In 1872 Mr. Winn came to Wellington, Kan., and opened his present business. In meantime has bought and sold real estate in Wellington, and has also dealt in cattle and horses. In 1881, Mr. Winn opened a branch house at Medicine Lodge, Kan., which he sold out in March, 1882. In April, 1882, he opened a branch in Colwell, which he yet operating. Mr. Winn is a stockholder in the Agricultural Association of Sumner County. He owns a fine bunch of short-horn heifers; his is a member of the order of Free Masons, Blue Lodge, and Chapter; he was a member of the City Council of Wellington one year. In 1876, Mr. Winn was married to Miss Isabelle Myrick of Iowa, by whom he has two children - Claude C., and John T. Mrs. Winn is a daughter of Rebecca, and is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Winn carries a stock of about fifteen thousand dollars.
JOHN H. WOLFE, blacksmith, was born in Ohio. He received a limited education in the common school, and was raised in the agricultural profession at the age of sixteen years. He was apprenticed to blacksmithing in Michigan, and continued two and a half years. He enlisted and joined the Eighth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, and remained in the service three years. After the close of the war he located at Lebanon, Mo., at which place he worked at his trade twelve years. In the meantime having taken a full course in meteorology, in 1876, was appointed by the Signal Service United States Army, as Volunteer Observer. He came to Kansas in 1879, and opened his present business; has built and owns a residence and shop in Wellington. In the meantime he kept up a continuos and complete record of the weather service. In 1881, organized the Sumner County Weather Service, with co-operating observers, also devoted a portion of his time to the science of geology, paleontology, having collected a cabinet of over 500 rare specimens, all classified. In 1883 was appointed assistant meteorologist to the Department of Agriculture of Kansas. He is a member of the G. A. R., also a member of the Sumner County Horticultural Society. Mr. Wolfe was married to Josie Stearns of Missouri in 1877, by whom he has two children - Johnnie and Minnie. Mrs. Wolfe is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Wolfe is a self-made man in every respect.