|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ANDREWS - FOLKS).
E. N. ANDREWS, manufacturer of saddles, harness, etc., was born in Devonshire, England, in 1851. He was reared in the saddle and harness business. Mr. Andrews came to the United States in 1873 and worked in the above business in Rochester, N. Y. two years. He next went in the business in Burlington, Iowa, two years, then at Kirkwood, Ill., two years. In 1881 he came to Wellington, Kan., at which time he opened his present business. Mr. Andrews owns a residence and four lots in the city of Wellington. In 1878 Mr. Andrews was married to Miss J. M. Swain, of Chillicothe, Mo.
H. W. ANDREWS, dealer in groceries and queensware, is a native of Illinois, and was born in 1854. He was brought up in the above business. In 1871 he opened a grocery in Cherryvale, in which he continued ten months, at the end of which time he come to Wellington and opened a fancy grocery store, in which he continued until 1874, at which time he added a general line of staples, and is now the oldest business house in the town doing business. Mr. Andrews located a claim of 160 acres, which he partially improved. He also built a residence and business properties in Wellington. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and Encampment, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Andrews was married to Miss E. P. McCulloch, of Texas, in 1877, by whom he has two children - Etta and Bertie Lenore. Mr. Andrews is one of the foremost business men of Wellington.
J. J. AUGUSTINE, dealer in dry goods, hats and caps, boots, shoes, notions, etc., is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1852, and reared a merchant and received a business education. While in infancy his parents moved to Illinois. Entering a dry goods store as clerk at thirteen years, he continued ten years. At the end of that time he attended Bryant & Stratton's Business College four months, when he entered the establishment of Field & Lieter, remaining eighteen months. Form here he went to St. Louis one year, and back to Chicago, with Carson, Pirie & Co. for seven years. From Chicago he opened in the dry goods line on his own account, in South Bend, Ind., where he remained eighteen months, at the end of which time he emigrated to Wellington, Kan., in 1881, where he established his present business. In January, 1883, he went to Texas, bought a bankrupt store, which, at the end of two months, he moved to Wellington, where he carries about $32,000 in stock, and does a business of about $50,000 per annum.
G. S. BURTON, dentist, was born in Richmond, Va., where he lived till he was twenty-four years of age. In 1872 he was graduated from the Hamden Sidney College, having taken the classical course. In 1875 he graduated from the Baltimore Dental College, and practiced his profession in Virginia four years the last two at Franklin Court House, at the end of which time he settled in Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., establishing his present business. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and select recorder of same. Has been married, but lost his wife, and has two children - Soule Hortense and Otis Manford.
JUDGE D. N. CALDWELL, was born in Illinois, 1847. He studied law with E. Prince of Illinois, and was admitted to the bar, 1870. He was at Waverly, Ill., from January, 1871, to July, at which time he came to Wellington, Kan., and opened the first law office, ever opened in the town; where he continued to practice law until 1881, at which time he engaged in the cattle business. He now owns a cattle ranch in Kingman County, on which he has about 300 head of cattle. In the meantime, Judge Caldwell has been handling real estate for himself; owns one half section of land in Sumner County; owns 160 acres in Illinois; he owns two business houses and a residence and a large number of vacant lots in Wellington; was the first Mayor of the city of Wellington; was City Attorney, and was also Police Judge; was appointed by Governor Glick in January, 1882 to the office of Judge of Probate, and was elected in April to the same office for two years; and was City Councilman four years. In 1872, Judge Caldwell was married to Miss Maggie White of Illinois, by whom he has three children - Gertrude, John C. and Bessie L. Mrs. Caldwell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. CHENOWETH, M. D., of the firm of A. & C. Chenoweth, druggists of Wellington, Kan., was born in Pike County, Ill., April 11, 1848. He was reared on his father's farm until he was about sixteen years of age; in the meantime attending the district school of his neighborhood; about two years of his later boyhood were spent at the High School of Decatur, Ill.; at the age of nineteen, his father having died and being thrown upon his own resources, he began the study of medicine under Dr. W. H. Walters, now of Freeport, Ill., at the same time spending his winters in teaching, to enable him to pay his College expenses. A few months before attaining his majority, having studied one year and a half, and having spent one term at a Medical College, he began the practice of medicine in Macon County, Ill., but after a few months being unwilling to assume the responsibilities of a practice without full preparation, he returned to Rush Medical College, Chicago, where he graduated in January, 1872. Having received his degree, he went before the board of examiners and passed a competitive examination for the position of House Physician and Surgeon of Cook County Hospital Chicago. Receiving a majority of the votes cast, he entered upon hi duties February 1, 1872, for a period of one and a half year's service. During his term of service at the hospital he was professor of Physical Diagnosis, lecturing to a class of students upon diseases of the heart, lungs, etc., accompanying his lectures with ample illustrations on the dead subject; two of his students afterwards became house physicians to the Hospital, and one of the two a member of the legislature. Dr. Chenoweth also passed a competitive examination before the faculty of rush Medical College, for the position of Professor of Dermatology, coming in second of the three applicants. After spending three years in private practice in Chicago, he entered the regular Army as Acting Assistant Surgeon, serving in the Department of the Platte, under Gen. Crook, during the Sioux war of 1876-77; entered the service about the dated of the Custer massacre; being held in high esteem by his superior officers, his promotion was only a question of time; however disliking the enforced separation from this family he resigned and returned to practice at Oreana, Ill., where he remained five years doing an extensive but laborious practice, resulting in injury to his health which necessitated removal to a dryer climate; consequently in 1882, the Dr. removed to Wellington, Kan., where he is now doing a lucrative practice and at the same time has a half interest in the drug firm of A. & C. Chenoweth, which business to them has opened out with flattering prospects. While at Oreana, Ill., the Dr. was examining physician for the Home Life Insurance Company of New York and is now a member as well as examining physician of the United Order of Ancient Templars; he is also a member, and soon to be president of the Cook County Hospital Alumni Association of Chicago, Ill. Dr. C. owns a nice residence property in Wellington. His brothers and sisters are among the oldest and most respectable residents of Sumner County, Kan. He was married in June, 1874, to Miss Maria Adams Prosser, who was born of wealthy parents in Calcutta, Hindostan, where her father was a merchant. Mrs. C. came to America from England in 1872, and is a member of the Reformed Episcopal Church, having her membership with Bishop Cheney's church of Chicago. Dr. C. has three children, the eldest of whom is dead - Alice Louise, Ethel Vivian and Mabel Grace.
P. H. D. L. CLEVELAND, of the firm of Cleveland & Herford, livery, was born in 1844, in the State of New York. At an early age he began farming for himself in Wisconsin, where he continued until he was twenty-six years old. From the farm he went to Iowa, where he engaged in the livery business, at which he continued three years. After having engaged in the same business in Minnesota two and a half years, he moved to Kansas in 1872, locating in Wichita, where for two years he carried on the grocery business; then in the livery business four years, and then to Wellington in 1878, in the livery and bus business, two years. We next find him part proprietor of a circus, which he ran for six months. Having sold out his interest in the circus, he returned to Wellington, where he accepted the position of clerk in the Hotel de Barnard, where he remained six months, and then established his present business. In Wichita he built tow residences, and also a large barn. He is a member of the Good Templars, Select Knights, A. O. U. W., G. A. R., and Presbyterian Church. He aided in organizing the State Valley Sunday school and church. Mr. Cleveland is a leading citizen of his town.
A. M. COFFMAN, dealer in real estate, loans and insurance, was born in Illinois in 1859. Was reared in the agricultural profession, and received a scientific education.. At the age of twenty, he embarked in the clothing business, at which he continued a short time and then studied law. In 1881, he made his way to Kansas, locating in Wellington, and at once opened his present business. Mr. Coffman owns 480 acres of farm lands, which is improved, and owns a residence in Wellington, and he also owns a nice herd of high- grade short-horn heifers. Mr. Coffman, though young in years, has taken a prominent position among the stock men of Southern Kansas.
C. C. CURTIS, hardware, tinware and agricultural implements, was born in Illinois, in 1845. His early life was spent on the farm and in obtaining a district school education. He entered the Union army in 1864, as a volunteer in the Sixty-sixth Illinois Infantry. After the close of the war, he learned the tinner's trade, and followed that business in the employ of his present partner, until 1874; was then taken in as a member of the firm, and continued the business in Illinois until 1879, when he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Wellington, and established his present business in connection with Mr. Larned, his old employer, Mr. Curtis is also full partner in all of the various branch houses owned by the firm, and owns stock in the Wellington bank. Is a Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was married to Miss E. A. Pickett, of Champaign, Ill., (formerly of Bangor, Me.) in 1872, and has four children - Fred S., Mabel E., Chase H. and Lydia. Mrs. Curtis is a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union.
JAMES A. DILLAR, president of Wellington Bank, was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., Town of Warrior's Mark., 1846. He was reared in the mercantile business, and received a collegiate education. At the age of sixteen he began clerking in a dry goods and grocery store in Maryland, at the rate of one hundred dollars a year and boarding himself, in which position he continued two years. He next went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he clerked in a boot and shoe store, was then in the fancy goods and notion business one year, at the end of which time he returned to Maryland, where he embarked in the fertilizing business one year. He was next in Holden, Mo., in the cigar business, where he remained five months. At the end of that time he traded his stock and business for a lot, for which he received no title. In 1868, Mr. Dillar came to Neosho County, Kan., where he settled on a claim of 160 acres, on which he remained eighteen months. In 1869 he disposed of his farm for $1,600, and went to Lamar, Mo., and embarked in the grocery business, in which he continued about twenty months. At the end of this time Mr. Dillar came to Kansas, and on June 2, 1872, arrived in Wellington, where he opened a land office, and also loaned money. He began reading law in 1872, and was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1873. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1872, in which position he served two years. Was Police Judge one term. Was City Councilman several terms. Was vice president of Wellington Bank a short time, and on the death of the former president, Mr. Dillar was made president. In 1877, Mr. Dillar was married to Miss Ida May Phelps, of Indiana, by whom he has two children - John J., and Gracie May.
C. H. DYE, of Dye Bros., wholesale and retail groceries, was born in Seneca Falls, N. Y., in 1841; was raised in the grocery business. At the age of nineteen his parent moved to Michigan, where he worked on a farm until 1861, when he joined the Twelfth Michigan, Company F, as a private, but was promoted to First Lieutenant, and was mustered out in 1865. At the close of the was he returned to Michigan, bought a farm and ran it one year. From the farm he engaged in the grocery business in Nilos, Mich., until 1869, when he emigrated to Humboldt, Allen Co., Kan., where he continued engaged in the hotel business eighteen months. From the hotel he went into the grocery business, and back to the hotel, and so changed back and forth, in Humboldt, Independence and Willing, during a period of seventeen years, during which time he accumulated a handsome fortune. In 1879 he closed out his business in the various towns, and concentrated his capital and energy into the Wellington store. In March, 1882, he went to Texas and bought 1,500 head of cattle, drove them to the Indian Territory, where he intends to establish a cattle ranch. Is a Mason, Knight of Honor and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Was married to Miss Alice Terriers, of Michigan, and has three children - Belle S., Jennie T., and Clarence E. Mrs. Dye is also a member of the Presbyterian church, and is an active, consistent Christian.
CHARLES DORSEY, dealer in coal, lime, plaster, hair cement, live stock and grain. Mr. Dorsey is a native of Indiana, and was born in 1849. At the age of twenty-one he began the stock and farm business, at which he continued until 1875, after which he came to Kansas, and settled in Sumner County, on a farm three and one-half miles from Wellington, which he improved, and was engaged in the grain and stock business until 1883, at which time he rented out his farm and moved to Wellington, and engaged in his present business. He built residence in the city of Wellington. He as School Clerk three years. In 1873, Mr. Dorsey was married to Miss Sarah Cannon, of Kentucky, by whom he has four children - Harry, Maude, and in 1882, a pair of twins. Mr. Dorsey handles from 5,000 to 6,000 head of stock annually.
H. H. DAVIDSON, hardware merchant and grower of thoroughbred and fancy cattle. Mr. Davidson is a native of Kentucky, and was born in 1847. He clerked in the District Court two years after leaving college, at which time he came to Kansas, and was engaged in the cattle business two years. He was next in the grocery business in Wellington, for one year. He then speculated until 1877, at which time he engaged in the hardware business. In 1880, Mr. Davidson engaged in the fine cattle business, and brought from Kentucky about one hundred fine Short-horn heifers, which he crossed with the Scotch thoroughbred. Mr. Davidson is stockholder in the Wellington Bank. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, and also a member of the A. O. U. W., and is past master workman in the A. O. U. W., and past dictator in the K. of H. He owns 140 lots in the city of Wellington. He donated a lot for the Court House, and built the best residence in the city of Wellington. Mr. Davidson is one of the leading men of his county in social and financial circles. In 1877, Mr. Davidson was married to Miss Carried C. Dixon, of St. Joseph, Mo, by whom he has one child - Wade H. Helton deceased and Maude deceased.
J. W. ENGLISH, of J. W. English & Co., was born in Erie, Pa. When he was one year old his parents moved to Bloomington, Ill. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1879 he emigrated to Wellington, Kan., where he arrived on the 28th day of March, and engaged in selling Hull's vapor stove. He has recently established a lumber yard, and present indications are that the sale for year 1883 will be $100,000. He owns five acres adjoining the city of Wellington, on which he lives. Was married to Miss Clarra M. Leslie, of Bloomington, Ill., in October 1878, and has two children - William and Roy. Mrs. English is a member of the W. C. T. Union, and takes an active part in all kinds of benevolent work. Mr. And Mrs. English are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. English is one of the representative business men in his town, and has the prospect of a splendid career before him.
S. P. FLINT, stock dealer and feeder. Mr. Flint is a native of Ohio and was born in 1829. He was reared in the agricultural profession, receiving a business education. At the age of twenty-one he began clerking in a dry goods store, where he remained two years. In 1858 he went to Tazewell County, Ill., where he opened grocery and sold agricultural implements in connection with the grocery business, where he continued fourteen years and in the meantime ran the lumber business also. In 1871 Mr. Flint closed out his numerous businesses and opened a bank, which he ran for nine years, at the end of which time (1880) he came to Sumner County, Kan., and embarked in the cattle business. He at once went to Texas and bought 1,500 head of Texas steers and drove them to the State line for the purpose of grazing them. In 1882, in company with J. W. Hamilton, he opened a ranch of 1,280 acres for cows for breeding, and have under fence of Government land, including their own, some 30,000 acres of lands. The company of Flint & Hamilton owns 320 acres of pasture, all under fence on which they are feeding 250 steers. On their big ranch they will have 3,00 to 4,000 head, and will feed from 200 to 400 cattle every season. In 1882 he became associated with J. W. Hamilton, John G. Woods, A. B. Mayhew and Robert Messerly, who formed the Southern Kansas Border Live Stock and Land Company. This company controls 150,000 acres of land, and with a capital of $200,000. In 1883 the company will put on their ranch 5,000 to 6,000 head of Texas steers. Mr. Flint is secretary of the company, is a stockholder and director in the Wellington Bank. In 1858 Mr. Flint married to Miss M. J. Brownlee, of Ohio.
JOHN H. FOLKS, stock raiser, is a native of Ohio and was born in 1837, reared in the agricultural profession and had a fair education. At the age of eighteen he began teaching school, at which he continued four years, and in the meantime was reading medicine. He joined the army in August 1861, Twenty-sixth Illinois Infantry, Company F, was mustered out in September, 1864; joined as Orderly and was promoted to Captain. He then returned to Ohio, where he was in the drug business until 1869, at which time he came to Oswego, Kan., where he engaged in the dry goods and real estate business, in which he continued one year. He then went to Oxford, Sumner County, and was a member of the Oxford Town Company and financial agent of the company one year. He then went into the newspaper business and continued at Oxford one year. In 1873he came to Wellington, where he continued the newspaper business until 1881. He then went to Colorado for his health and has since been looking after his private business and improving his property. In 1875 he was elected Secretary of the Senate of Kansas for two years; in 1877 was elected Coroner and re-elected to the same office in 1879, and held the first legal inquest ever held in the county; is a stockholder in the Wellington Bank and aided in organizing the same; owns a 160 acre farm adjoining the city of Wellington, and block of ground, on which he has a beautiful dwelling, surrounded with trees, shrubbery, etc. Built and owns a fine business block, with marble trimmings, and owns a sixth in an addition to Colwell of 120 acres; is a Mason, Chapter and Blue Lodge, and Knights of Honor. In 1875 was married to Miss Frances A. Norton, Of Topeka, and has two children, Francis E. and Carl R. Mr. and Mrs. Folks are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. GEORGE R. FULTZ, of the firm of Fultz & Millard, real estate, loan, insurance and abstract agents, was born in Ohio in 1843, and reared on a farm. He received a collegiate education, and at the age of seventeen joined the army, being assigned to the Fifth Pennsylvania, where he served three months, and at the end of that time re-entered the service again, this time in the One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania, where se served three years. In the battle if Fair Oaks he was wounded in the foot, in the battle of Gettysburg he received a wound in his head, and a bad wound in the breast at the battle of the Wilderness. In 1865 he was mustered out and returned to Pennsylvania and Illinois, stopping for a short time, when he was commissioned in the Revenue Department, and assigned duty in Little Rock, Ark., where he went in 1865, remaining till 1868. He read law in the office of Governor Phelps, eighteen months, when he went to Mount Vernon, Mo., where he commenced the practice of law, at which he continued until 1873. He then came to Wellington, Kansas, and commenced the practice of his profession in connection with the real estate business, which he has since merged into a general real estate, loan, abstract and insurance business. Is a stockholder and director of the First National Bank of Wellington, and a Notary Public. Is a member of the Free masons, A. O. U. W., and also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Was married to Miss L. P. Brown, of Virginia, in 1870, by whom he has had four children - Flora May, George C., Jasper K. and Allen, deceased. Mr. Fultz is one of the genuine representative men, of the very best class to be found anywhere, or in any community. His business qualifications of are of the first order, and his social and religious characteristics raise him to the highest point in the estimation of his associates and fellow citizens. Comparatively a young man, he has obtained wealth in abundance, and that which is till more valuable, the approbation of all who know him.