William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 14] [part 12] [Cutler's History]


The Twelfth Infantry was one of the three regiments that were raised in Kansas, under the call of July 2, 1862, for 300,000 volunteers, to serve for three years or during the war. It was recruited by Charles W. Adams, of Lawrence, in the counties of Wyandotte, Johnson, Douglas, Miami, Franklin, Coffey, Allen, Linn and Bourbon. The regiment, which was recruited and organized under authority, delegated Hon. James H. Lane, by the War Department, rendezvoused, and was mustered into service at Paola, Miami County, September 25, 1862, under the following officers:

Field and Staff. - Colonel, Charles W. Adams. Lawrence; Lieutenant Colonel, Josiah E. Hayes, Olathe; Major, Thomas H. Kennedy, Lawrence; Adjutant, Charles J. Lovejoy, Baldwin City; Quartermaster, Andrew J. Shannon, Paola; Surgeon, Thomas Lindsay, Garnett; Chaplain, Werter R. Davis, Baldwin City.

Line Officers. - Company A, Captain, James D. Chestnut. Wyandotte; First Lieutenant, John H. Tullis, Olathe; Second Lieutenant. Nathan R. Stone. Company B, Captain, George W. Umberger, Clinton; First Lieutenant, Lewis W. Hoover, Lawrence; Second Lieutenant, Martin L. Towne, Lawrence. Company C, Captain, Nick L. Benter, Osage; First Lieutenant, William O. Hubbell, Paola, Second Lieutenant, William B. Nichols, Stanton. Company D. Captain George W. Ashby, Prairie City; First Lieutenant, Henry Shively, Stanton; Second Lieutenant, Alfred Johnson, Peoria. Company E, Captain James M Steele, Lawrence; First Lieutenant, A. Jackson Jennings, Eudora; Second Lieutenant, James H. Pleasants, Franklin. Company F, Captain Clark McKay, Le Roy; First Lieutenant, George W. S. Bell, Ottumwa; Second Lieutenant, Allen Crocker, Burlington. Company G, Captain, Ezekiel Bunn, Mansfield; First Lieutenant, Alexander McArthur, Hyatt; Second Lieutenant, Franklin Newell, Mansfield. Company H Captain, James W. Parmeter, Olathe; First Lieutenant, Augustus W Burton, Fort Lincoln; Second Lieutenant, William Pellets, Olathe. Company I, Captain, Joseph T. Gordon, Lanesfield; First Lieutenant, George Ellis; Second Lieutenant, Demas M. Alexander. Company K, Captain, John J. Sears; First Lieutenant, Peter J. Miserez, both of Mound City; Second Lieutenant, William Barrett, Marmiton.

Soon after its organization, the various companies of the regiment were detached for border service, being stationed, mainly, along the eastern line of Kansas. Company H, however, being at Fort Larned, and a company at Fort Riley. The duty of the Twelfth was almost identical with that of many Kansas regiments - hunting guerrillas and bushwhackers, scouting, foraging and protecting the State from the predatory bands that infested Southern and Western Missouri.

In the winter of 1863, all the companies composing the regiment, except Company H, which still remained at Fort Larned, concentrated at Fort Smith, Ark.; Companies B, E and F, escorting a supply train to that place in the fall, and the other companies following in December. Company H arrived at Fort Smith in February, 1864, and the reunited regiment remained at that post until the following spring, performing escort and other duties.

On the 23d of March, with the Frontier Division, under Gen. Thayer, the regiment marched from Fort Smith, and on the 9th of April joined Gen. Steele's command at Little Missouri River, whence the united army continued its march toward Camden. Ark., arriving on the 16th, and evacuating the town on the 26th of April. The Twelfth formed a part of the Second Brigade on the hurried march to the Saline. At the battle of Jenkins' Ferry, and during the still more hurried march from that point to Little Rock, where the troops arrived on the morning of May 8, almost exhausted, from lack of food and rest. After remaining a short time at Little Rock, the Frontier Division was ordered back to Fort Smith, which was threatened by the rebel forces that had gathered in the vicinity since the evacuation of Camden. The march from Fort Smith via Camden, to Little Rock, and return to the same point was one of the hardest that was performed by the army of the Frontier, and one that told most heavily on the strength and health of the men. The country was unhealthy, and peculiarly hard to traverse; swamps, torrents, mountains, had to be crossed, and that in the early spring, when every feature of the country was at its worst. The regiment reached Fort Smith on the 17th of May, having marched 550 miles since it left on the 23d of March.

During the summer, the regiment was employed on the fortifications that were in process of construction, which, extending from the Poteau River, to the Arkansas, protected the place from assault on the south. During the winter of 1864, the Twelfth was engaged in escorting the forage trains, that were sent out from the fort. In February, 1865, it was ordered to Little Rock, performing garrison duty of various kinds, until it was mustered out of service at the same place, June 3, 1865.


Company B - Killed at Baxter's Springs, Ark., October 8, 1863, John T. Moore, Lawrence; at Jenkin's Ferry, Ark., April 30, 1864, William Zimm, Lawrence.

Company F - Killed at Poison Springs, Ark., April 18, 1864, Sergt. B. Samuels, Ottumwa.

Company H - Killed at Olathe, Kan., by guerrillas, September 7, 1862, Benjamin F. Cook. James B. Judy, John J. Judy, Isaiah Skinner, Philip F. Wiggins, all of Olathe.

Company I - Killed at Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., April 30, 1864, First Lieut. George Ellis and Ellis Lowers, Spring Hill. Died of wounds received at Jenkin's Ferry, William Johnson, Wyandotte.

Company K - Killed at Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., Rufus B. Burley, Mound City; at Cabin Creek, Ark., November 19, 1864, by guerrillas, John Harbin, Fort Lincoln.


Like the Eleventh and Twelfth, the Thirteenth was raised in conformity to the quota assigned Kansas, under President Lincoln's call of July, 1862, and was recruited by Cyrus Leland, Jr., by virtue of authority delegated to him by Hon. James H. Lane in the counties of Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Marshall and Nemaha. The rendezvous was established at Camp Stanton, city of Atchison, the regiment organized on the 10th of September, 1862, and mustered into the service of the United States September 20, of the same year, under the following officers:

Field and Staff. - Colonel, Thomas M. Bowen, Marysville; Lieutenant Colonel, John B. Wheeler, Troy; Major, Caleb A. Woodworth, Atchison; Adjutant, William P. Badger, ________; Quartermaster, Cyrus Leland, ________; Surgeon, William M. Grimes, Atchison; Chaplain, Daniel A. Murdock.

Line Officers. - Company A, Captain, Samuel Flickinger, Geary City; First Lieutenant, Joseph A. Nixon, Troy; Second Lieutenant, Alfred A. Clutter, Geary City; Company B, Captain, Henry Haverkorst, Atchison; First Lieutenant, Marion N. Beeler, Troy; Second Lieutenant, August Langehemeken, Atchison; Company C, Captain, Hugh Robertson, Troy; First Lieutenant, Jeremiah Frankhouse, and Second Lieutenant, Alfred C. Dow, both of Doniphan County. Company D, Captain, Henry R. Neal, Atchison; First Lieutenant, John Batsell, ________; Second Lieutenant, Robert Manville, Atchison. Company E, Captain, Perry Hutchinson, and First Lieutenant, James H. McDougall, both of Marysville; Second Lieutenant, John N. Cline, Centralia. Company F, Captain, John E. Hayes, Locust Grove; First Lieutenant, Archimedes S. Speck, Atchison County; Second Lieutenant, William J. May, Monrovia. Company G, Captain, William S. Blackburn, Vermillion; First Lieutenant, Levi Hensel, Seneca; Second Lieutenant, Daniel C. Auld, Vermillion. Company H, Captain, Orlando H. McCauley, Robinson; First Lieutenant, James C. McElroy, Highland; Second Lieutenant, Theodore Collins, Fall City, Neb. Company I, Captain, John Shilling, Hiawatha; First Lieutenant, Alonzo Bradner, Elwood; Second Lieutenant, Langden M. Risley, Hiawatha. Company K, Captain, Patrick McNamara, Locust Grove; First Lieutenant, Daniel C. O'Keefe, Atchison; Second Lieutenant, Hugh Dougherty, Atchison.

In October, the regiment was ordered to join the division of Gen. Blunt, which it accomplished on the 29th, soon after the battle of Old Fort Wayne. It was attached to the Second Brigade. Col. Weer commanding, and as a part of the First Division, Army of the Frontier, participated in the various engagements with Gen. Hindman's forces in Arkansas, ending with his flight over the Arkansas River at Van Buren. It was present and took an active and honorable part in the engagement at Cane Hill; the struggle for the occupation of the crest of the Boston Mountains; and the pursuit which followed the repulse of Marmaduke's cavalry.

At the battle of Prairie Grove, the Thirteenth was one of the first regiments of Gen. Blunt's division that became engaged, and its record, although it was a new regiment, was equally honorable with the older organizations. Every attempt to capture the battery, of which it formed the support, was successfully repulsed with heavy loss to the rebels, and the Thirteenth, with the command, occupied the field at night, ready to renew the struggle in the morning. Gen. Hindman preferring not to so renew it, withdrew his forces before daylight, and the result of the battle was the pursuit of the retreating enemy to Van Buren, and the final dispersion of Gen. Hindman's command. The battle at Prairie Grove virtually finished the campaign for the winter.

After returning to Rhea's Mills, where the army train had been left, Gen. Blunt was relieved by Gen. Schofield, and the army marched to Elm Springs, Ark., remaining in camp at that place until January 7, 1863, when the regiment was ordered to Springfield, Mo., where it remained performing garrison and escort duty until spring. On the 19th of May, it marched to Fort Scott, and for the next two months performed outpost duty at Drywood, a part of the regiment being absent on furlough.

In August, the regiment was again attached to the force of Gen. Blunt, and in pursuit of the rebel Gens. Cooper, Cabell and Stand-Waitie, in Missouri and Arkansas, marched during the month over 400 miles. After the pursuit was abandoned, the brigade to which the Thirteenth was attached moved to Webber's Falls, C. N., on the Arkansas River, remaining about two weeks. It then marched to Scullyville, also in the Cherokee Nation, performing outpost and scout duty until the 6th of November, when it marched to Van Buren, Ark., and went into winter quarters. In March, 1864. Companies A, C, D, G, H and I were ordered to Fort Smith for garrison duty during the absence of Gen. Thayer's command on the Camden expedition, leaving Companies B, E and F to garrison Van Buren. After the evacuation of Camden, the depredations of the guerrillas on the western line of Arkansas became more frequent and daring. The failure of the Seventh Corps to hold the place, after running such a race to gain it, and the success of the rebel leaders in capturing valuable trains, almost within hearing of Gen. Steele's guns, had given the marauding bands fresh courage, and our outposts and advanced stations were held at peril of life and liberty. Capt. Marion N. Beeler, of Company B. received a mortal wound in a night attack on a band of guerrillas, and Col. Bowen was surprised and taken prisoner by another band within rifle shot of his own pickets. He was, however, soon released. The regiment remained on duty at Fort Smith until the 3rd of March, 1865, when it was ordered to Little Rock, Ark., and on the 26th of June was mustered out of service. It then proceeded to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and on the 13th day of July, 1865, received final payment and discharge.


Chaplain Ozem B. Gardner, killed in action November 25, 1864, at Timber Hill, Cherokee Nation.

Company C - Killed at Van Buren. Ark., November 8, 1864, Harry O. Stratton; at Prairie Grove, Ark., December, 1862, Eli T. Vickery, Doniphan County.

Company D - Died of wounds received at Prairie Grove, John Rhodes, Monrovia. Died of wounds received at Jenkins' Ferry, Sergt. John P. Mosley, Atchison.

Company E - Killed at Prairie Grove, Ark., Sergt. Cornelius B. Hornbeck, Marysville.

Company F - Killed at Harre Head, Ark., August 4, 1864, James L. Parnell, Mount Pleasant.

Company G - Killed at Prairie Grove, Ark., John H. Clapp, Vermillion.

Company H - Killed at Prairie Grove, Ark., Sergt. John Neal, Troy.

Company I - Killed at Prairie Grove, Ark., Corp. John Jones, Elwood, Newton Sevier, Brown County. Died of wounds received at Prairie Grove, Second Lieut. Langden M. Risley, Hiawatha; Private John Cole. Died of wounds received at Roseville, Ark., John T. Spencer, Granada. Killed by guerrillas at Greenfield, Mo., Thomas B. Cummings, Hiawatha.

Company K - Killed at Prairie Grove, Ark., John Collins and Lorenzo Richardson, both of Atchison.


The nucleus of this organization was four companies of cavalry, which were recruited as personal escort of Maj. Gen. Blunt, in the spring of 1863. The necessity of raising an additional force for frontier service was so imperative, that the recruiting of a whole regiment was authorized, and the work performed during the summer and fall, Maj. T. J. Anderson serving as recruiting officer. The organization of the regiment was partially completed in November, as follows.

Field and Staff. - Colonel, Charles W. Blair, Fort Scott; Majors, Daniel H. David, Charles Willetts and John G. Brown, Leavenworth; Adjutant, William O. Gould, Leavenworth; Assistant Surgeon, Albert W. Chenowith, Lecompton.

Line Officers. - Company A, Captain, William Larimer, Jr., Leavenworth; First Lieutenant, Collin C. Whitman; Second Lieutenant, Robert H. Pierce, Leavenworth. Company B, Captain, Charles H. Haynes, First Lieutenant, James Morris, and Second Lieutenant, Andrew M. Anderson, all of Fort Scott. Company C, Captain, Charles Willetts; First Lieutenant, John G. Brown; Second Lieutenant, J. F. Dalton, all of Leavenworth. Company D, Captain, William M. Bixby; First Lieutenant, Samuel L. Jennings; Second Lieutenant, James S. Berry, all of White Cloud. Company E, Captain, George J. Clark; First Lieutenant, Benjamin F. Josling both of Fort Scott; Second Lieutenant, William B. Clark, Leavenworth. Company F, Captain, Albert J. Briggs; First Lieutenant, John A. Huff, and Second Lieutenant, William D. Parish, all of Paola. Company G, Captain, Albert H. Campbell, Fort Scott; First Lieutenant, Count S. Steel, Marion; Second Lieutenant, James M. Kilgore, Delaware. Company H, Captain, Thomas Stephenson, Highland; First Lieutenant, James A. Ogan, Troy; Second Lieutenant, Dudley Sawyer, Hiawatha. Company I, Captain, Merimoth O. Teeple, Paola; First Lieutenant, George L. Bowen, Fort Scott; Second Lieutenant, Joseph Rickabaugh, Emporia. Company K, Captain, Godfrey B. Nuzum, White Cloud; First Lieutenant, Josephus Utt, Troy; Second Lieutenant, Henry Minton, White Cloud. Company L, Captain, Charles Harris, ________; First Lieutenant, Joseph Pratt, ________; Second Lieutenant, William Writtenberry, Ashboro, N. C.

Previous to the organization of the regiment, Gen. Blunt, with his escort, was attacked while on his way to Fort Smith, by Quantrell, with a band of six hundred guerrillas. The encounter took place October 6, 1863, at Baxter's Springs, near the little post then called Fort Blair. A great number of the escort were killed or disabled; among the former, fifteen men of Company A, afterward of the Fourteenth Regiment. Many were killed after they were captured, among whom was Maj. H. Z. Curtis, son of Maj. Gen. S. R. Curtis. The train was sacked and burned, but Gen. Blunt, with a small portion of his guard, succeeded, by extraordinary courage and nerve, in escaping with their lives.*

* For a full account of this massacre, see history of Cherokee County.

Immediately after the organization of the regiment, it marched, under command of Lieut. Col. Moonlight, Eleventh Kansas, for Fort Smith, arriving on the 3d of December, when its organization was completed, and Col. Charles W. Blair took command.

The Fourteenth remained at Fort Smith, engaged in picket, scout and escort duty, until the latter part of February, 1864, when, under command of Maj. J. G. Brown, it was ordered on an expedition into the Choctaw country, which was originally designed to effect a junction at North Fork Town, with a force from Fort Gibson under Col. Phillips, and thence march to make a united attack on the enemy in the vicinity of Boggy Depot, Cherokee Nation. On reaching North Fork Town, orders were received from headquarters at Fort Smith, for six companies to return to that post under Maj. Brown, Companies B, K, L and M accompanying the force of Col. Phillips. The latter companies being the only cavalry battalion with his command, served as vanguard on the advance, and rear-guard on the retreat of Col. Phillip's force. The battalion that returned to Fort Smith was immediately ordered to proceed fifty miles down the Arkansas River, and garrison a temporary post at Ozark, Ark. While at this place, on the 5th of March 1864, Maj. J. G. Brown was promoted Lieutenant Colonel of the Fourteenth. On the 6th of April, the regiment marched on the Camden expedition joining the Army of the Frontier at Danville, Ark. It took part in the contest at Prairie de Anne, and as a part of the brigade which formed the rear guard of the army, received and repelled the furious charge which was made by Gen. Dockery on the 14th.

A detachment of seventy men of the regiment, under command of Lieut. Utt, afterward increased by a re-enforcement of twenty, under Lieut. Smith, formed part of the train escort, which, under command of Col. Phillips, was attacked at Poison Springs, Ark., by a rebel force of several thousand, and after a gallant resistance forced to retreat to Camden. The detachment from the Fourteenth lost twelve in killed and prisoners, the latter being taken to the rebel prison at Tyler, Texas.

Companies F and G were the only cavalry squadrons that participated in the famous infantry battle at the crossing of the Saline, the whole force, with this exception having been thrown forward to repel Fagan's threatened attack on Little Rock, and save the depots of supplies in that city. In May the regiment returned from Little Rock to Fort Smith, and remained at that place through the summer, engaged in guard, picket, scout and escort duty.

On the 1st day of January, 1865, under command of Maj. Charles Willetts, it was ordered to Clarksville. Ark., to protect the navigation of the Arkansas River, and clear the vicinity of the desperate bands of guerrillas that were constantly on the alert to discover and take advantage of every weak spot in our line of defense.

On the 17th, the steamers Chippewa and Annie Jacobs having on board several companies of soldiers and a large number of refugees, were intercepted by a large rebel force near Roseville, between Fort Smith and Clarksville. The former was captured and destroyed, being run ashore on the south bank of the river. The latter was disabled, but succeeded in gaining the north shore, with but one man wounded. A third boat, which followed the Annie Jacobs, was also run on to the north shore, but with a loss of seven killed and several wounded. All the wounded were conveyed to Clarksville, and a battalion of the Fourteenth remained with the Annie Jacobs until she was repaired, and ready to proceed down the river.

On the return of the regiment from a scout into Cearcy County, orders were received transferring it to the Second Brigade, Seventh Army Corps, to report at Pine Bluff. Embarking on the 25th of February, 1865, it arrived on the 27th, and was armed with Spencer carbines, which had been procured through the efforts of Lieut. Col. J. Finn Hill, who was promoted November 22, Lieut. Brown having resigned. Lieut. Col. Hill was absent at the time the regiment arrived at Pine Bluff, and never rejoined his command, dying of consumption at St. Louis, May 11, 1865.

In the early part of May the Fourteenth was ordered to Fort Gibson, at which place Capt. A. J. Briggs, of Company F, was elected to the command of the regiment, and was mustered in as Lieutenant Colonel, June 3, 1865.

On the 25th of June, the regiment was ordered to Lawrence, Kan., for muster out. It arrived at that plane on the 11th of July, and on the 20th of August, 1865, was mustered out of service, and received its final payment and discharge.

The part performed by the officers and men of the Fourteenth, who served under Gen. Curtis in the campaign against Price in the fall of 1864, is recorded in a separate chapter.


Company A - Killed at Baxter's Springs, C. N., October 6, 1863, Sergt. Theodore Wade, Com. Sergt. George Keith and Corp. William G. Martin, all of Leavenworth; also Privates John T. Cardwell, Owen Donnelly, Thomas Kelly, Alexander Miller, Zimri Pierce, Henry Stulte, Daniel Sullivan, John A. Baker, Jesse Guy, Thomas Martin, Lawrence Roach, John Welsh, all of Leavenworth. Killed near Fort Smith September 26, 1864, Charles Volumby, Leavenworth.

Company B - Killed at Ozark, Ark., July 17, 1864, Benjamin S. Carlisle, Fort Scott; at Fort Smith, Ark., September 20, 1864, John R. Graham, Fort Scott; killed by guerrillas, October 9, 1863, Thomas B. Long, Hutchinson Murphy, Fort Scott.

Company C - Killed at Baxter Springs C. N., D. S. Elliott, Elwood; at Fort Smith, Ark., James M. Anderson, Fort Smith. Ark.; Corp. Simpson Speaks, Elwood.

Company D - Killed at Ozark, Ark., Corp. James L. Day, White Cloud.

Company E - Killed at Ozark, Ark., Samuel J. Knight, Fort Scott.

Company G - Killed at Ozark. Ark., Sergt. James D. Alsup, Delaware; at Fort Smith, Peter J. Stith, Timber Hills.

Company I - Killed at Fort Smith, Ark., Christopher C. Joiner, Fort Scott.

Company K - Killed at Fort Smith, Ark., Sergt. John T. Pain, Canton. Tex.; Reuben S. Ware, Salem, Neb.; David W. Howdenhill. Killed in action, place unknown, William T. Collins.

Unassigned volunteers for the Fourteenth regiment - Killed at the massacre at Lawrence, August 21, 1863; Charles R. Allen. Lawrence; Charles Anderson, Clinton; James F. Cooper, Philadelphia, Penn.; Isaac J. Parker, Johnson County; Charles T. Riggs, Richland; John R. Green, Walter B. S. Griswold, Aaron Halderman, David Markle, Samuel Markle, Lewis Markle, Robert Speer, William A. Waugh and John Watson, all of Lawrence.

[TOC] [part 14] [part 12] [Cutler's History]