|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Among the early settlers in Mission Township, were Hiram C. Covil, of Ohio, who located on the southeast quarter of Section 27, Township 11, Range 15, on the 25th of December, 1854. He was killed in the Price raid in 1864.
January 20, 1855, John Doty settled on the southeast of Section 10, Township 12, Range 15. In the same year, J. C. Young settled on the southeast of Section 27, Township 12, Range 15.
In 1856, Amos Trott, G. G. Gage, W. D. Paul, J. C. French, W. W. Lewis and Mr. Scudder located in the township.
Among those who settled soon after, were James Brewer, James Swan, John McComb, and Rev. J. C. Miller.
THOMAS BUCKMAN, farmer, P. O. Topeka, Section 7. Owns 240 acres, has eighty acres under plough, ten acres in orchard, forty acres in cultivated grasses, balance in native grasses and timber. His house is a model of neatness and comfort, with good cellar and all modern conveniences; built in 1872 at a cost of $1,800. A substantial frame barn with stabling room for twelve horses and threshing floor, and capacity for twenty-five tons of hay. A grain house which will hold 1,500 bushels of wheat; a crib for 1,000 bushels of corn. Mr. B. has 100 head of cattle, and a lot of choice bred hogs. His orchard is one of the best and and most complete in Shawnee County, and includes all the fall and winter varieties of fruit, such as by experience have been demonstrated to flourish best in Kansas. Mr. Buckman came to Kansas in September of 1869, and has made his farm from the raw prairie, and his buildings, hedge and stone fences, fruit and ornamental trees attest his industry and good judgment. He was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, August 26, 1824, and is a descendant of the Buckmans who came to America in the ship Welcome, with William Penn, in September, 1682. When ten years of age moved with his parents to Chester County, Pennsylvania, where they remained nine years and returned to Bucks County, Pennsylvania; removed to Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1853, where he engaged in the milling business, from there he went to Alliance, Stark Co., Ohio, and engaged in milling and shipping grain, and came from thence to Kansas. He was married in Trenton, New Jersey, in November, 1847, to Miss Susanna Howell, of Bucks County, Pennsylvania and has three children living - Anna, Edward and Mercy. While in Alliance Mr. Buckman was a member of the Board of Health, Board of Education, and of the City Council. In 1876 was elected to the Kansas State Legislature and while a member of that body was appointed Chairman of several important committees and was a warm supporter of P. P. Plumb for State Senator. He is a member of Alliance Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Was born and raised a Quaker, but has been connected with the Presbyterian Church since coming to Kansas.
A. M. COVILLE, farmer, P. O. Topeka, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, and in November, 1851, located in Lawrence, Kansas, where he remained a year, when he removed to his present location. His farm comprises lots Nos. 11, 15 and 27, situated three miles west of Topeka, on the Sixth avenue road, and extends back to the Kansas River. The new branch of the Topeka, Saline & Western Railroad runs through the lower part of his farm, which consists of 186 acres, about half of which is under cultivation, while about thirty acres more is underlaid with coal which is now being successfully mined. There are two shafts, averaging forty feet in depth, and giving employment to fifteen or twenty hands. His father, H. C. Coville, was County Commissioner for several years, and a member of the Kansas Militia, and was killed October 22, 1864, while repelling the attack of the rebel General Price, at the Big Blue, Jackson County, Mo. This gentleman was the first person to open and work coal mines in this vicinity. The coal now mined by Mr. C. is disposed of to local dealers, but before the railroad was built, was shipped in wagons to the various government posts within a radius of fifty miles. Mr. Coville is a graduate of Washburn College, and taught school in Shawnee County for several years. He is very highly esteemed by the community.
W. L. FIRESTONE, farmer, P. O. Topeka, has 130 acres seven miles southwest of Topeka. Has a fine lot of cattle and good horses. Came to Kansas February 28, 1880, from West Salem, Ohio. Came to the State with no means and has accumulated a nice start, wisely investing in young stock. Was born in Wayne County, Ohio, February 23, 1859, and has resided there since with the exception of one year until coming to Kansas. Was married March 1, 1882, in Oak Grange, Mission Township, to Miss Belle Fisher, a native of Virginia. Is a member of Oak Grange, No. 665.
PETER HEIL, JR., farmer, P. O. Topeka, owns 160 acres on Section 13, eighty acres under cultivation, balance hay land and native timber. In 1882, had about 1,600 bushels corn, and fair yield of other crops. Improvements consist of stone house, 16x26, story and a half, with cellar, contains four rooms, built in 1870 at a cost of $800. Stone barn 28x70 feet, two stories, capacity eight horses and thirty cows, ten tons hay - cost $600. Mr. H. has eighty head of cattle, nine horses and thirty hogs; a fine orchard of all kinds of fruit. Came to Kansas in 1859 with his father, located nine miles southeast of Topeka, on Tescumseh Creek. Enlisted in 1861 in Company A, Fifth Kansas Cavalry. Did escort and scout duty in Missouri, other operations on the Mississippi and White rivers. Co-operated with Gen. Banks in Red River campaign. Was captured at Mark's Mills and taken to Camp Ford, near Tyler, Texas, where he was held ten months as a prisoner. Was mustered in 1865 at Leavenworth. Was married December 28, 1865, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Susan C. Cox, a native of Illinois, and has three children - Ernest K., Louis P. and Mabel Louise. Mr. Heil has paid especial attention to the manufacture of butter and cheese. Made 1,634 lbs. of butter from January 1 until November 1, 1882, which sold for $463.43, and from June 1 to November 1, 1882, made 4,944 lbs. of cheese, which sold for $573.25, besides selling $13.70 worth of milk. Mr. Heil has been Treasurer of School Board and Township Treasurer several times. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and charter member of Oak Grange, No. 665, and is also member of Lincoln Post, No. 1, G. A. R.
BARTHOLOMEW HEINTZMAN, farmer, P. O. Auburn. Has 240 acres on Sections 26 and 27; 160 acres under cultivation and balance meadow. In 1882 had 140 acres corn which averaged forty bushels an acre, and about fifty tons millet. Has a stone house 14x36, story and a half; corn crib will hold 600 bushels; corrals; orchard of 700 apple and peach trees; has a large herd of cattle, and horses, and hogs. Came to Kansas in 1859 and pre-empted 160 acres of land where he now resides. Was born near Strassburg in Lorraine, Germany, about November 1, 1833. When nineteen years of age, came to America with his mother and located in Seneca County, Ohio, where he remained until coming to Kansas. Enlisted March 15, 1862, in the Third Kansas, afterwards the Second and Ninth. Was stationed at Fort Riley and afterwards in the Cherokee nation. Afterwards were at Fort Smith and in Arkansas; at Duval's Bluff on White River; was mustered out in 1865. In 1866 took a trip across the plains with a volunteer company. In 1861 was Mayor of Auburn. Is a member of the G. A. R.
ROBERT I. LEE, proprietor of Prairie Dell Farm, Sections 29 and 32, P. O. Topeka, was born in Boston, Mass., in May, 1847. Received his education at Concord, N. H. In 1867 he removed to Sangamon County, Ill., where he remained until 1859, when he came to Kansas, first settling in Jefferson County. In 1837 he bought his present farm, four and one-half miles west of Topeka, and consisting of 320 acres, 225 acres in cultivation; entire farm is under fence, a large portion of which is stone. The house which is of stone, is large consisting of two stories and basement. It is built on the side of an abrupt cliff and presents a fine appearance. The barn is said to be the oldest building now standing in Shawnee County, being the old Indian mission school. It is 96x36 feet, two stories besides the basement, and has a capacity for fifty head of horses. On the farm is also a half-mile track on which are trained many horses of speed kept and raised by Mr. Lee. He is very largely interested in horses of speed, keeping over fifty head on hand at all times. He is the pioneer breeder of trotting stock in Kansas. He makes a specialty of Hambletonian trotting stock. Among the fast stallions owned by him are: Robert McGregor, record 2:18; Monroe, 2:271/4; McCloud, 2:34; Winship, 2:341/4; Coriondin, 2:381/4; Hiram Woodruff, 2:41; a pacer without a record: Aladdin, son of Rysdik's Hambletonian (trial) 2:38; another untrained, and Fergus McGregor, untrained. Most of these horses are still owned by Mr. Lee and can be found at his farm. Mr. Lee was married at Topeka, March 31, 1880, to Miss Abbie Kimber, who was born near Philadelphia, Pa.
A. F. LISHEAR, P. O. Topeka, has eighty acres of land situated about nine miles west of Topeka, forty acres under cultivation, balance pasture. Has a substantial stone house, 16x36, two stories, built in the spring of 1878, at a cost of $2,500. Has two stone barns, room for stock, hay and machinery. Came to Kansas in 1878 and engaged in stock business for three years. Mr. F. (sic) has been in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. Railroad Company for some time, and has the contract for all of the stone work on the lines in Arizona and New Mexico. Was born in Baltimore City, Md., October 24, 1844, where he resided until coming to Kansas, engaged in his trade, that of stone contractor, and erected several public works in Baltimore. Was married in June, 1882, at Tombstone, Arizona, to Miss Sparks. Has four children by former marriage.
C. A. LITTLE, farmer, P. O. Topeka. Sixty acres in Section 13; about twenty-three acres timber and grass. Has a substantial two-story frame house, built in 1873 at a cost of about $1,200. Mr. L. makes a specialty of dairy business and made about 900 pounds of butter in 1881. Came to Kansas in 1878, locating near Topeka, and has resided in several portions of the county. Was born in Crawford County, Pa., July 21, 1842, where he learned the carpenter's trade. Enlisted in 1862 in Company K, One Hundred and Fiftieth Pennsylvania Infantry. His command was on detached duty as President's guard during three years' service. Was mustered out at Washington City in 1865. Was married in Shawnee County, Kan., January 28, 1873, to Miss M. E. Thompson, a native of Fayette County, Pa., and have one child - Bertie B. Are both members of Oak Grange, No. 665, and are connected with the Presbyterian Church.
WOODFORD C. MADDOX, P. O. Topeka, cultivates thirty acres on the farm of Mr. Heil. Commenced in a small way in 1877 to manufacture sorghum syrup, and since then has enlarged his facilities to an average of 1,600 gallons per annum. Generally finds a market at Topeka. Has a Star horizontal crusher and Cook's patent evaporator, which will easily manufacture eighty gallons a day. In 1883 will put in a ten-horse power engine and another evaporator. Mr. Maddox came to Kansas in 1872 from Johnson County, Mo.; was born in Jennings County, Ind., January 27, 1841. When fifteen years of age removed to Montgomery County, Ill., and remained there until enlisting in April, 1861, in Company B, Seventh Illinois Infantry. Was a member of the Fifteenth Army Corps in the army of the Tennessee. Was with his command at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Mission Ridge, Tunnel Hill, Altona Pass, and Sherman's march to the sea, and through the Carolinas to Raleigh, where he was mustered out April 9, 1865. Was wounded at Goldsboro, N. C. which partially disabled him. Was promoted to First Sergeant; moved to Missouri in October, 1865, where he worked at his trade, that of a stone mason. Was married April 4, 1878, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Maggie Brown, a native of Dearborn County, Ind., and has one child - Irene. Was Deputy Sheriff of Johnson County, Mo., for about one year, and was also employed in the secret service of the Government for about one year after the war, with headquarters at St. Louis. Owns 160 acres of land on Section 10, Township 12, Range 13, Mission Township. Is a member of Lincoln Post, No. 665, G. A. R., Topeka.
JAMES NEELEY, farmer, on Section 24; nine miles south-west of Topeka, came to Kansas March 15, 1869, locating near Dover, Wabaunsie (sic) County, and has been in his present neighborhood since 1870; was born in Harrison County, Ind., September 25, 1827, where he resided until coming to Kansas; learned the trade of a tanner, when quite young; was married in Harrison County, Ind., in 1853, to Miss Elizabeth Weaver, and has three children living - William H., Revilla A. and Lydia A. Mr. N. and family are members of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, of Mission Township.
W. B. RAPIER, farmer, has 153 acres three miles southwest of Topeka, on Section 15; forty acres under cultivation, balance hay land and timber. Has a large frame house, two stories and frame barn, corn cribs, granaries and other substantial buildings. Came to Kansas in March, 1880, from Hancock, Ill. Was born in Monroe County, Ind., November 14, 1822; resided there until 1850, engaged in farming. Has been twice married; first in 1840 to Miss Nancy Hansford, who died August 12, 1877, and by whom he had fourteen children. The second marriage was to Mrs. L. Quick. Mr. R. has paid considerable attention to fine Norman horses, and now owns a match span of fine stallions. Mr. Rapier has a fine orchard of 400 trees, consisting of all varieties of fruit. He is a member of Topeka Lodge, No. 51, A. F. & A. M., and also of Oak Grange, No. 665, P. of H.
THOMAS WHITE, farmer, P. O. Topeka, has 200 acres on Section 8; has 135 acres under cultivation, balance hay land and native timber. In 1882 had fifty acres wheat, average yield, twenty bushels; oats sixty bushels, and corn, forty bushels. His house was built in 1882; size, 24x40, with porches on north and south, two stories and attic, cellar under all. The house is of neat design, and modern architecture, costing $2,000. Barn, 30x40, with capacity for twelve horses; 2,000 bushels of wheat, seven head of horses, and twenty cattle and eighty hogs. Makes a specialty of pure Poland China hogs. Has a fine young orchard of all varieties of fruit. Came to Kansas in 1868, and located at his present place in 1878. Was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, September 26, 1829, and when twenty-five years of age moved to Peoria County, Ill. Enlisted in 1862 in Company E, Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry as a private, and was under Rosecranz in Missouri and Arkansas, and under Grant and A. J. Smith; was with his command in pursuit of Price, Forrest and Quantrell, and in the second battle of Nashville. In the fall of 1863 was made Captain of Company C, First Mississippi Cavalry. Was mustered out July 1, 1865, at Memphis, Tenn. Was married in 1856 in Guernsey County, Ohio, to Miss Maria K. Stearling, a native of Pennsylvania, and has nine children living - Alvin, Charles E., John H., Minnie B., Delia M. Lieutenant F., Etta, James W. and Maud H. Is a member of Mission Center Presbyterian Church, and treasurer of Kansas State Grange. Has been Justice of the Peace about five years.
D. R. YOUNGS, farmer, five miles southwest of Topeka, in Mission Township, P. O. box 987; Topeka; came to Kansas in 1855 with his father and located on the present farm from Lafayette County, Mo. Was born February 20, 1847, in Lafayette County, Mo. and remained there until seven years old. Was married in 1873 in Topeka, Kan., to Miss Esther Ward, a native of Ohio.