|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (LA VORE - YOUNT).
FRANK LA VORE, farmer, P. O. Dover; owns eighty acres on Section 29, Township 12, Range 14; ten acres broken; stone house 12x15, story and a half; has seven cattle, two horses, and two pigs; came to Kansas in 1880, stopped at Topeka a short time and came on to his land; was born in Rapede Parish, La., and left there in 1864, going to La Grange, Ohio; remained in Ohio until 1880, working on the lake and as hotel porter mostly; was born in 1843, was married in 1869, at Cleveland, Ohio, to Miss Betsey A. Brown; they have one child - Hester. He is a member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM S. LAWLESS, farmer, P. O. Dover, has eighty acres on the north half of
the northeast quarter of Section 24, Township 12, Range 13; has fifty-two
acres under cultivation; frame house, three rooms and cellar; frame stable;
orchard of two acres; came to Kansas in March, 1882, from Springfield, Ill.,
where he worked in a watch factory two years; was born in Cheshire, England,
HENRY MILLER, farmer, eighty acres, one and a half miles north of Valencia; also works at the carpenter trade. Came to Kansas in 1877; was born in Steuben County, Ind., October 25, 1849; resided in that county with the exception of one year in White County, until coming to Kansas; was married in August, 1868, in Steuben County, Ind., to Miss Minnie Ewings, a native of that county, and they have five children - Mary, Martha, Courtland, Elam and Easton.
H. H. MINKLER, farmer and Justice of the Peace, P. O. Dover. Has 160 acres of land northeast of the village. He came to Kansas in October, 1871, from Chickasaw County, Iowa. He was born in Clinton County, N. Y., June 25, 1830, and remained there until twenty-one years of age, learning the trades of shoemaker and tanner. For twenty-one years following this, he was employed as superintendent of railroad construction on various railroads in the Northern states, and Upper and Lower Canada; was on the Central Pacific Railroad from Sacramento, Cal. to Salt Lake City, Utah; returned to Chickasaw County, and remained one year, and then came to Kansas. He has been married twice, first in 1857, in Wisconsin, to Miss Annis Bump, a native of Wisconsin; they had one child - Clara, now Mrs. Waldo, residing near her father. Mr. Winkler's wife died in March, 1859, in Rock County, Wis. He was married again in 1868, at Clark's Station, Nev., to Miss Sarah Clark, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Harry, James, Van and Ida. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1877, and is now serving his third term. He is a member of Alma Lodge, A. F. & A. M., by demit.
HIRAM MYERS, farmer, P. O. Dover, owns 80 acres on Section 36, all under fence; thirty-five acres in corn. Has three cows, two horses, and twelve head hogs. Main part of house is 16x26, story and half, "L" 12x24. Frame barn, which will hold six horses and is 18x24 feet. Came to Kansas April 1, 1868, and settled in Highland, Doniphan County, Kan., where he remained about six years, engaged in the furniture business. Moved to Cawker City, and was Pastor of the Congregational Church there. Came to Dover, and was employed as Pastor here, and at Alma. Moved onto the farm in 1881, and has preached some since then. Was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, April 28, 1826. Remained in his native county until 1854. Engaged in teaching school, and began preaching when twenty-four years of age. Attended school at New Hagarstown Academy. Removed to Washington County, Iowa, organized the Moravian Church, and from there moved to Keokuk County, bought an academy building and opened a school which he ran for two years, called Richland Academy. In the fall of 1856, moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, and preached at Moravia, and built a church. In the winters of 1857-58, preached as an Evangelist for two years, then commenced the study of medicine until coming to Kansas. Was married, in 1851, in Trenton, Ohio, to Miss Eliza Speice, a native of Westmoreland County, Penn.; they have two children living - Mrs. Thompson of Wabaunsee County, and Jessie. Has been a member of I. O. O. F. and is a member of Central Ministerial Association of Kansas.
DAVID NOEL, farmer and blacksmith, Section 28, P. O. Valencia. Has 114 years, seventy-five acres under cultivation, balance timber; well improved, with good house, barn, granary, etc. Has also a blacksmith shop with all necessary tools for general work. Does all kinds of blacksmithing and horseshoeing. His farm is very fertile, producing good crops. It has also a good young orchard, besides a quantity of small fruit. He was born in Franklin County, Penn., July 10, 1844, residing there until seventeen years of age, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, serving in the army of Eastern Virginia, until 1863, when his command was consolidated with the army of the Potomac, he having re-enlisted in 1863 in the same company. He participated in all the principal battles in Virginia and Maryland. At the second battle of Bull Run he was captured and paroled in the field. He was promoted to First Sergeant, holding that position until mustered out in July, 1865. He then went to Wyandotte County, Ohio, and afterward learned his trade at Upper Sandusky, following it until he came to Kansas, in 1879. He was married October 22, 1868, to Miss Delia Rouk, a native of Tiffin, Ohio. They have five children - Nettie M., Charles E., William C., Cora D. and Bessie E. He is a member and steward of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Valencia.
ALFRED SAGE, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Valencia. Has 335 acres, all under fence, 130 acres under cultivation. Has good improvements, large two-story stone house, containing eight rooms, built in the fall of 1878, at a cost of $1,300. Barn is forty feet square. There are also other buildings, such as cattle stables, granary, etc., and a stone house one-half a mile north of his residence, containing eight rooms. He deals extensively in live stock, keeping 100 to 200 head of cattle. Has also a fine Percheron-Norman stallion, which Mr. M. W. Dunham imported, and was bought by him at a cost of $2,000. He has also a store room and general stock of goods at the village of Dover, which is in the charge of his son, Squire. He is one of the best farmers in Kansas, and realizes large yields from his crops. He was born in Somersetshire, England, August 6, 1833, and came to America with his mother, settling in Onondaga County, N. Y., where he remained until twenty-one years old. He then moved to Iowa, and from there to Kansas in 1856, locating on the present site of the village of Dover, in which vicinity he has since resided. In 1871 he purchased the Snider Building, and in partnership with A. D. Craig, he opened a general store, which he kept three years. He then sold out his interest and returned to his farm, where he resided two years. He again entered business at his present stand. He was married at Onondaga, N. Y., in 1854, to Miss Mary Bassett, a native of England. They had five children - Maggie, William, Squire, James and Dudley. His wife died October 28, 1863. On July 23, 1864, he married Mrs. Mary A. Buell, a native of Bedford County, Penn. Mr. Sage has always been an active Republican, and identified with that party since its organization.
HENRY V. SAGE, farmer, P. O. Dover, controls 270 acres, 130 under cultivation, balance pasture. His crop in 1882 yielded a large and profitable harvest. Has forty head of cattle, seven horses, and thirteen hogs. Came to Kansas in November, 1880. He was born in County Somerset, England, February 14, 1843, and came to America when quite young, settling in Onondaga County, N. Y. Remained there until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Twenty-second New York Infantry. Was with his command at South Mountain and Antietam, and in all the engagements of the Sixth Army Corps for two years after 1862. At the battle of the Wilderness received injuries, which disabled him from actual service. He was transferred to the Eighty-fifth Company Second Battalion, Veteran Reserve Corps, and remained there until the expiration of his term of enlistment. Returned to New York, and went to Evansburg, Crawford Co., Pa., where he engaged in the grocery business for two years. Returned to New York and remained three years, engaged in carpentering. Removed to Livingston County, Mo., in 1871, and for nine years was engaged in bridge building on the Wabash Railroad. Came from Missouri to Kansas. Was married September 5, 1866, at Evansburg, Pa., to Miss Emma McDowell, a native of Crawford County, Pa., and has three children - Orrie G., Gilbert S. and Leona. He is a member of the Mobely Lodge, No. 334, A. F. & A. M. Was master workman and a member of Randolph Lodge, No. 30, A. O. U. W., and also a member of the K. of C. Mr. Sage is a member of the Dover Methodist Episcopal Church.
L. M. SHEPARD, teacher, in District 57, P. O. Dover, came to the State July 1, 1882, from Cincinnati, Ohio. Was born in Lorain County, Ohio, July 13, 1854. Removed to Licking County in 1871. When two years old removed with his father to Dodge County, Minn. Remained there about fifteen years. attending school at Groveland Seminary. Completed his studies at Dennison University. Removed to Cincinnati, and for four years was reporter for the Times Star, and agent for the National Associated Press of that city.
DAVID SHULL, farmer, eighty acres, the north half of the northeast quarter of Section 32, Town 11, Range 14, about ten miles west of Topeka, P. O. Valencia. Has about seventy acres under cultivation, ten acres of meadow. House frame, 14x22, story and a half, seven rooms in all, and cellar. Built in 1877; cost $600. Has a frame stable, corral, and corn crib, which will hold 2,000 bushels corn. His crops of wheat, corn, oats and other grain are the best testimony of the excellent quality of his land and good husbandry. Has an orchard of about 200 trees, of the best varieties of fruit. Mr. S. has made a good start in stock-raising. Came to Kansas in 1871, and located in Shawnee County. Removed to his present location from near Silver Lake, in 1877. Was born in Franklin County, Ohio, October 24, 1851, and when quite young moved to Miami County, Ind., where he remained until coming to Kansas. Was in the mercantile business two years at Silver Lake, in partnership with C. Owens. Was married in March, 1874, at Silver Lake, to Miss Maria Ayers, a native of Miami County, Ind., and has four children - Claud E., William W., Daisy Dean and an infant. Is a member of Lake Lodge, No. 50, A. F. & A. M., and a member of School Board, District No. 67.
GEORGE SIDDALL, farmer, 78 acres, Section 3, Town 12, Range 14, on Blacksmith Creek, eight miles west of Topeka; P. O. Box 292, Topeka. Has about forty acres under cultivation, balance of land timber and hay land. Stone house, 16x26, one story, built in 1873. Stone barn 28x30, will hold four horses and other stock. Has about five acres of bearing trees in orchard. Came to Kansas in 1870, locating at his present place. Had a good crop in 1882, and will market about 300 bushels potatoes. Was born in Birmingham, England, February 18, 1841. Came to America in 1863. Learned the trade of a Britannia metal smith, and worked at his trade in New York City, Newark, N. J., Middletown and Wallingford, Conn. Visited his old home in Connecticut in 1882. Was married in England in 1861, to Miss Mary Rudge, a native of Northampton. Is a member of Compass Lodge, No. 9, A. F. & A. M., Wallingford, Conn.
MARCUS D. SNODDEY, farmer and market gardener, Section 20, P. O. Silver Lake, owns forty acres, nearly all in cultivation, having good frame house, barn, etc. Has also good a log house for tenant. He was born in Doniphan County, Kan., eight miles from St. Joseph, Mo., September 25, 1847. Went with his parents to Atchison, residing there until his mother's death in 1862. His father died in 1851, among California emigrants. After his mother's death he remained with his grandfather, Thomas Poteet, near Atchison, until 1863, when he commenced freighting, continuing in that business about four years, when he went to Southeastern Kansas and took up a claim, remaining one year. Then went to Richardson County, engaging in farming until 1871, when he went to Northeastern Texas, remaining one year, when he returned to Kansas, settling in Little Soldier Creek, Shawnee County, where he remained four years. He then married Miss Ellen Selsur, a native of Ohio. They have two children - Edward and William H. Soon after his marriage he removed to his present residence.
CARY SNYDER, postmaster and merchant, carries a stock of $4,500 and trade will average $20,000. Also buys and ships grain and stock from Topeka. Grain and stock trade will amount to $30,000. The trading territory will embrace a farming district of ten miles square. Commenced business in 1877 in the building where Henry Snyder commenced business in 1867, and was succeeded by Sage & Craig, and they by Loomis & Daily, and they by Loomis & Co., who were succeeded by Mr. Snyder. He was born in Washington C. H., Fayette County, Ohio, January 11, 1857, and when twelve years of age came to Kansas; followed farming and attended the High School in Topeka three years, taking a full course of study. He was married March 11, 1880, at Dover, to Miss Etta Beach, of Keene, Kan., and has one child, Ray. Mr. Snyder handles all description of farm produce, besides the property of the two cheese factories in the neighborhood.
JOHN J. ST. JOHN, farmer, P. O. Dover, owns a good farm on Section 30, seventy-five acres under cultivation and the balance in meadow. Has eighteen head of cattle, five calves, three horses and fifteen head of hogs. Has a frame house, 20x40, with three rooms and a frame barn, 16x30, and stone smokehouse; has an orchard of 100 apple trees, peaches, cherries, grapes and other small fruit; frame granary, 16x20; corn will average fifty bushels per acre. Mr. St. John came to Kansas in 1860, locating in Topeka; remained two years and enlisted August 20 in Company E, Eleventh Kansas. Spent most of his soldier's experience in Missouri and Arkansas. Was mustered out at Fort Riley, and escorted the United States mail from Larned to Fort Lyons, and was mustered out in 1865. He was married in August, 1862, in Auburn, to Miss Frances E. Johnson, native of Missouri, and has three children: Cynthia, Marquis M. and Emilie C. Mrs. St. John died in 1871.
JAMES S. WARNER has 160 acres on Section 17, Township 12, Range 14, P. O. Topeka; has sixty acres under cultivation, twenty acres of timber and the balance hay land; house 16x20, story and a half with basement, built in 1880 at a cost of $500; has about twenty head of cattle, horses and hogs. In 1882 had a good crop. Came to Kansas in 1872 and located at Tescumseh, where he remained until 1878, when he removed to Gunnison County, Colo., and interested himself in mining operations. He owned an interest in the Anna Didricka mine, which he disposed of to advantage. In the spring of 1880 sold a one-third interest in Spotted Trail Mine for $5,000. Mr. Warner still owns an interest in the Rothschild, which he helped to discover; also owns property in the prosperous camp of Tin Cup. Was born near Milwaukee, Wis., September 16, 1856. When quite young his father moved to Scott County, Iowa and remained until coming to Kansas; was married April 11, 1880, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Addie Coddington, daughter of Thomas Coddington, contractor and building of Topeka.
BENJAMIN G. WARRINGTON, farmer, resides three miles northeast of Dover. Came to the State in 1868 from Davenport, Iowa, and located at Columbus, Cherokee Co., Kan.; remained there ten years and attended school; removed to Fairmount, Leavenworth Co., Kan., and remained there until 1880, when he went to Topeka and clerked for Greenwald & Co., clothing merchants, 151 Kansas avenue; remained seven months; worked on the railroad and engaged in other occupations; was born in Scott County, Iowa, August 25, 1864.
G. W. WOODWARD, farmer, P. O. Dover, owns the south half of the northeast quarter of Section 24, Township 12, Range 13, fourteen miles southwest of Topeka; has fifty-five acres under cultivation, balance meadow; house 16x24, and L. 10x12, story and a half; cellar 16x24, eight feet deep; porch on east and west sides; built in 1873 at a cost of $900; frame stables, granary and stone shed for cattle. Mr. Woodward's farm produced good crops for 1882, and he is well supplied with stock; owns a three year old Norman mare of imported stock. He came to Kansas in 1865 and has since improved three farms in his locality, and starting with comparatively nothing, has become fairly independent. He was born in Chittenden County, Vt., March 9, 1843; resided in his native county until 1861; engaged in farming with his father, the Rev. John H. Woodward, a Congregational clergyman; who was afterward chaplain of the First Vermont Cavalry. Mr. Woodward enlisted in the spring of 1861 in Company G, Second Vermont Infantry; was with his command at the first battle of Bull Run, and in the Peninsula Campaign under McClellan at Malvern Hill, Williamsburg, and Savage Station and Lee's Mills; was a member of the Sixth Army Corps, which covered the retreat from in front of Richmond and was under fire six days and nights. He was disabled and discharged August 11, 1862; while in the service was promoted to First Duty Sergeant; returned to Vermont and attended school at Williston Academy; was Provost Marshal's clerk of the First District of New York City for about eighteen months and returned to Orleans County, Vt. He has been twice married; first, January 1, 1867, to Miss Emma D. Ward, of Danville, Vt., and has one child living, John W. Mrs. W. died October 18, 1876, of consumption. He was married again March 7, 1878, at Milton, Vt., to Miss Ida C. Ladd, and has one child, Emma L. He is a member of the Congregational Church at Dover and Superintendent of the Sunday-school. Mr. Woodward's brother, John W. Woodward, was Captain of Company M, First Vermont Cavalry, and lost his life at Hagerstown, Md. He was a graduate of the Vermont University.
LANDON T. YOUNT, farmer, P. O. Valencia, owns eighty acres on Section 5, and twenty acres on Section 27. His home farm all under cultivation and under fences; frame house, twenty-four feet square, four rooms; stone dairy, 18x16. In 1882 had abundant yield of corn, oats and millet; has forty head of cattle, and other stock; pays especial attention to dairy interests; milked fourteen cows eight months and made and sold 2,000 pounds of butter; will increase his dairy to twenty-five cows in 1883; came to Kansas in April, 1862, and located in Wyandotte County, where he remained until March, 1865, when he removed to Shawnee County, where he has since resided, with the exception of two years' residence in Mendocino County, Cal. He was born near Dubuque, Iowa, January 20, 1849. Was married October 18, 1871, to Miss Regina Cobbs, a native of Washington County, Ohio, and has two children: Lillian and Leon L. When fourteen years of age, Mr. Yount served in Company F, Twenty-third Kansas Militia; was in the battle of the Blue and helped repel Price's invasion; was the youngest boy in the regiment. Mr. Yount has contributed some valuable and well written articles to the newspapers of the State.