|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Dover was established as a township in the fall of 1867, the boundary line of the township being defined as follows: "Commencing at the northeast corner of Section 1, Township 13, Range 14; thence west to county line; thence north on county line to a point where it crosses the Kaw river; thence down the center of the channel to a point where the section line between 34 and 35 intersects Kaw river; thence south on said line to place of beginning."
The first town officers were elected May 5, 1868, and were as follows: Trustee, E. M. Hewins; Treasurer, James Bassett; Clerk, Henry A. Kellam; Justices, Jacob Haskell and George Harden; Constables, M. M. St. John and W. Q. Harris.
John Sage was appointed Postmaster in 1862, the mail having been distributed the previous year by Mr. S. Wooster, with consent of mail agents. E. C. Chapin succeeded Mr. John Sage, Mr. Alfred Sage became Postmaster in June, 1870, and held the office until 1873. Mr. Harvey Loomis succeeded him that year and still holds the office.
The village of Dover was started in 1870, a store being built and opened by Henry Snyder, which he sold during the same year to Alfred Sage. In 1872 another store was started by Winkler & Ticknor, now run by Rasson & Sage.
The first school taught in the village was by Miss Isabel Smith, a daughter of Sidney W. Smith, who established one of the first ferries on the Kaw. There are three religious societies - Baptist, Congregational and Methodist. The Baptists built a stone church in 1869. The society was started in 1868 with fourteen members by Rev. Mr. Raymond. They have now about forty members, with a Sabbath-school of about fifty scholars. The Congregationalists built a wooden church in 1876; society organized in 1875 with eight members. The Methodists first worshipped in the Baptist church, but have erected a church of their own. The village contains about ten families, with the usual shops found in a small hamlet.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALDRICH - KEMBLE).
ALBERT H. ALDRICH, farmer, two and a half miles east of Dover, 160 acres on Sections 31 and 32 - all under fence and fifty acres under plow, the balance is pasture and meadow. Has seventy-five head of cattle, ten head of horses and forty head of hogs. House 16x24 with an L 14x16; kitchen 10x16 - 11 rooms in all. Frame barn 12x24, room for six horses. Has a stable for sixty cows, corn-crib, wagon and toolhouse and granary. He came to Kansas in 1871. Improved his present place in 1879. He was born in Lisbon, Grafton Co., N. H., October 22, 1838. Lived in that county until thirteen, then moved to New York City. Worked as locomotive engineer on the Hudson River R. R. until 1862, and then went to work as engineer on military railroad for Government until April, 1864. In January, 1864, he was taken ill with the measles at Chattanooga, Tenn., and after his recovery almost lost the sight of both his eyes as a result of the disease. He returned to New York and remained sixteen months and moved to Orleans County, Vermont, and farmed until coming to Kansas.
P. E. C. BLADES, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Valencia; came to the State June 1, 1878, and located in Dover Township, Shawnee County. He was born in Wooster County, Md., March 9, 1857. When seven years of age moved with his father to Pike County, Ill. Remained until twenty-one years of age and for four years taught school in Pike Count. Attended Chaddock College, Quincy, Ill., and taught school in many towns in the county. Was appointed Postmaster at Valencia, and opened a general store at that point, which he managed with success until October, 1882, when he sold out. He married March 17, 1878, to Miss Katie Harper, at Bishopville, Wooster Co., Md., and has one child - Effie M. Has always voted the Democratic ticket.
DR. A. W. CARSON, physician and surgeon, residence and office Main street. Located here August 3, 1876, and came from Utica, La Salle Co., Ill., where he began practicing in the spring of 1875. Was born in Brown County, Ohio, March 5, 1850. Resided there until the fall of 1857 and moved to Washburn, Woodford Co., Ill., and from there to Eureka where he began the study of medicine in the fall of 1872, with Dr. N. B. Crawford. Completed the scientific course and a part of the classical course in Eureka College in June, 1872. Attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in the winters of '73, '74 and '75, completing the course and receiving his diploma from that institution. Is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society, and of the Topeka Society of Surgery and Medicine. Was married August 28, 1878, in Dover, Kan., to Miss Hattie Gill, a native of Wisconsin. They have one child.
H. P. CARY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Valencia, has fifty acres, thirty acres in cultivation, the rest timber. Farm is well improved, having good stone house, barn, shop, cribs, etc., besides a small orchard of bearing apple and peach trees. It is also well stocked with live stock. He was born in Lee County, Ill., February 13, 1858. When eight years old he went to Chicago, where he learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed until 1876, when he went to Texas, remaining one year. He soon afterward came to Kansas, and on August 14, 1880, he married Miss Mary E. Neland, daughter of John and Euceba sic Neland. Her father, John Neland, was born in Washington County, Vt., October 13, 1823, remaining there until 1848, when he married Miss Euceba H. Goodall, a native of Windham County, Vt. He then moved to that county and followed his trade of shoemaker until 1857, when he came to Kansas. He located in Shawnee County, about five miles southeast of Topeka. In January, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. N. moved to present residence, where they resided until his death in 1875. They have seven children - Julia M., John Wesley, Mary Eva, Charles E., William N., Benjamin F. and James Monroe.
ALBERT S. COREY, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Redpath, has eighty acres, forty acres under cultivation; well improved, well watered and well stocked. He was born in Springfield, Mass., January 1, 1824. Began the printer's trade when fourteen years old, working in the office of the Massachusetts Spy, at Worcester. He worked in different offices, learning fully all branches of the business - composition, book and job printing. Before entering the business, he attended the Baptist Seminary and other schools at Worcester. After completing his trade, he attended the Quaboag Seminary at Warren, Mass., fitting himself for journalism. He was foreman of the job department of the Springfield Republican during the years 1853, '54 and '55. He then returned to Worcester, and in 1857 he came to Kansas, landing in Quindaro, a town on the Missouri river, three miles north of Wyandotte. He commenced work on the Quindaro Chindowan, a weekly paper published by John M. Waldon. In the spring of 1858, Mr. Waldon retired and Mr. Corey became the publisher for the Quindaro Board of Trade, continuing until the fall of that year, when the paper was sold and the material moved away. He then bought a farm four miles from Quindaro, on which he lived until 1868. Was in Capt. Clary's Company of Militia, and helped to repel the invasion of Gen. Price. While he was at Quindaro, he became well acquainted with Albert D. Richardson, the celebrated author and brilliant correspondent of the Boston Journal, who made his headquarters at Quindaro. Mr. Corey heard Mr. Richardson's eloquent addresses at a meeting held at Quindaro, July 24, 1857, to ratify the action of the Topeka convention, and condemn Gov. Walker's action, acting as secretary of that meeting. During the year 1863, and while the U. P. R. R. was in process of construction, Mr. Corey was employed in the office of the Wyandotte Gazette, which was doing much printing for that railroad. He was then placed in a position to learn the plans of the company, and was an eye-witness of the tragic death of Mr. Samuel Hallett, chief contractor, who was shot by a civil engineer. In 1868 he sold his farm and removed to Baldwin City, Douglas County, where he commenced the publication of the Kansas Family Visitor, in partnership with C. W. Bryan. The latter retired the next year when Mr. Corey moved his office to Chetopa, Kan., and published the Chetopa Advance, in partnership with John W. Horner. In May, 1869, he sold his interest in the paper to Mr. Horner, and in the fall of that year moved to his present farm. He was a member of the City Council when Chetopa was incorporated. He was appointed Postmaster, in 1872, at Plow Boy, which was afterwards changed to Redpath and still holds the position. He was married at Sterling, Worcester County, Mass., April 3, 1848, to Miss Elizabeth F. Pratt. They have four children - Charles A., Lottie E., now Mrs. T. H. Cope, William A. and Edward H.
WILLIAM CUMMINS, farmer, P. O. Dover, has sixty acres under cultivation, and ninety acres pasture on home farm, and 160 acres one mile north of his home place, in Section 14. His home farm is on Section 26. House is 17x24, of stone, story and a half, two rooms built in 1870 at a cost of $500. Barn is 17x32, and will hold eight head of horses and ten tons of hay. Has fifty-five head of cattle, fifty hogs, six horses, and one span of mules. Came to Kansas in 1866, from Ottawa, Canada East. Was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in August, 1848. When about eighteen years of age, and in 1860, emigrated to Canada, where he remained until the close of the war, when he came to Kansas. Has followed farming all of his life, and his father was an under-steward in Ireland. Mr. C. has earned his property, all since he came to America, by industry. Was married in July, 1878, in Topeka, Kan., to Miss Ellen Matthews, a native of Kansas. Is a member of the Catholic Church, and has always voted the Democratic ticket.
RUFUS N. EDWARDS, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Redpath, owns 120 acres, fifty acres in cultivation, well improved, good one and one-half story frame house, and other buildings, also small orchard. He first came to Kansas in 1870, locating near Hoyt, in Jackson County, fourteen miles north of Topeka, remaining one year. He then moved to Wabaunsee County, where he resided until 1874, when he moved to Valley Falls and afterwards to Silver Lake, and in the spring of 1882, he moved to present residence. He was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, December 29, 1857, remaining there until nine years old, when he moved to Wood County, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Kansas.
ELI EWINGS, farmer, P. O. Valencia, has 220 acres in Section 20, fourteen miles west of Topeka; eighty acres under cultivation, balance pasture and hay land. House frame, 18x22, built in 1877, at a cost of $280. Frame crib, which will hold $1000 sic bushels of corn. Has an orchard of 300 bearing trees. Crops in 1882 were good. He came to Kansas in 1876. Was born in Steuben County, Ind., March 14, 1857. He worked some at the carpenter trade.
J. E. FLICKINGER, teacher in District No. 15, Dover, came to the State, October 12, 1879, from Union County, Ohio, where he was born, January 23, 1855. Completed his education at Normal School, at Ada, Hardin County, and also attended school at Delaware, Ohio, in the Business College. Taught six terms of school in Ohio, before coming to Kansas. Has also followed farming a portion of the time. Owns a half interest in eighty-two acres of land, two and one-half miles east of Dover. Is a member of Somerville Lodge, No. 672, I. O. O. F., Somerville, Ohio.
THEODORE FORBES, farmer, P. O. Topeka, has eighty acres on Section 3, fifty acres under cultivation, balance pasture and timber. House is frame, 14x18, stone basement, three rooms. Stone stable, 24x40 - will hold twenty horses. Crops were good in 1882. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1880, from Richland County, Ohio, where he was born November 14, 1854. Ran a saw-mill ten miles north of Mansfield, Ohio, for six years. He was married in Richland County, Ohio, to 1878, to Miss Mary A. Brook, a native of that county, and has two children - Cora A. and Verta E. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
WILLIAM N. FREDERICK, blacksmith, P. O. Dover, came to the State in October, 1869, locating in Cloud County. Worked in a shop with his father, at Clyde, until December, 1881. Was born in Schuylkill County, Pa., December 29, 1854, and moved to Illinois in 1862. Commenced his trade with his father after coming to Kansas. Was married October 3, 1875, at Clyde, Kas., to Miss A. C. Moore, a native of Iowa, and has two children - Jessie and Frank. Worked in a mill in Livingston County, Mo., for about sixteen months. Removed to Dover in July, 1882.
WILLIAM G. GILKERSON, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Redpath, has two hundred acres on Vassar Creek, twelve miles west of Topeka, seventy acres in cultivation, the balance hay land, pasture and timber; well improved. Good house, large stone barn 24x48 feet with sheds 12 feet wide on each side. He is largely interested in the dairy business, marketing 2,000 lbs. of butter annually, and expects to largely increase his stock the present season. He was born in Barnett, Vt., October 25, 1835, residing there until sixteen years old, when he went to Wisconsin, working nearly a year in a hotel at Beaver Dam. He then went into the pineries, remaining until the spring, when he went down the Mississippi as cook on a raft, stopping at Hannibal, Mo., from there he went to Belvidere, Ill., working for different parties until 1862 when he enlisted in Company G, Ninety-fifth Illinois Infantry. Was at Champion Hill, Vicksburg, and other battles, and in the Red River Expedition. At the battle of Guntown he was captured July 10, 1864, and held a prisoner several months, at Mobile, Andersonville, Florence, and Milan, Ga. He was afterwards exchanged at Wilmington, N. C. He then went to Annapolis, where he remained for a time. He was discharged at Springfield, Ill., and went to Caledonia, Boone Co., Ill., going into the stock business. He was married in 1866, at Beloit, Wis., to Miss Mary Peters, a native of Boone County, Ill. They have four children living - Lizzie, Ernest, Marian and Arthur. After his marriage he continued in the drover business until 1872, when he moved to Kansas, locating at his present residence. Has held the office of Township Treasurer of Dover Township one term by appointment.
JOHN GREEN, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Redpath, was born in Gloucestershire, England, September 11, 1827. He immigrated to America when twenty-one years of age, first locating at Cincinnati, Ohio, remaining one year. He then engaged in farming in Union County, Ind., and Cass County, Mich., until 1869, when he moved to Kansas. In 1870 he married Mrs. Philolia sic La Point, widow of Mitchell La Point. She was born in Wayne County, Mo., December 15, 1818, living there and at Pleasant Hill, Mo., until 1852, when she came to Kansas with a Mr. Benjamin Franklin, who located at Uniontown, engaging in the business of gunsmith for the Indians. She was adopted as one of the Pottawatomie tribe, and married Mitchell La Point, a quarter blood Sauk Indian. To him was allotted the quarter section on which the old town stood, and to her eighty acres, a part of which was in Shawnee County. The farm now consists of three hundred and twenty acres, seventy acres in cultivation, the balance hay land and timber. It has fine improvements - good house, two-story stone barn, 32x40 feet, with basement. It was built in 1875, at a cost of $1,000. It affords shelter for thirty-six head of stock and will hold thirty tons of hay, besides a large amount of grain. In addition are wagon sheds and granary. Six acres are in orchard, partly bearing, consisting of all kinds of fruit. Large numbers of livestock are raised on this farm, the receipts from cattle alone being over $1,600 in 1882, besides horses and hogs. Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the Congregational Church at Plow Boy.
WILLIAM H. HEWINS, farmer, P. O. Dover, has 320 acres on Section 23, fifteen miles south of Topeka, has ninety acres under cultivation, and fifty acres native timber, the balance being meadow and pasture land. His residence is of stone, 16x32, story and a half, containing five rooms and cellar built in 1871, at a cost of $750. Barn 16x36 built in 1879, and will hold twelve horses and is well arranged for granaries and corn cribs, with commodious loft for hay cost $700. Has a bearing orchard of the best varieties of fruit. Has generally 100 head of cattle and 50 to 100 hogs, and 15 to 25 head of horses. Came to Kansas October 17, 1858, and located in Wabaunsee County, where he remained until 1864. Changed his location several times. Worked on the K. P. road during its construction. Was in the sheep business some two years, at Dover, in partnership with Mr. Alf. Sage, and settled on his present place April 17, 1871. Was born in Berkshire County, Mass., March 26, 1831, and when quite young his parents moved to Lorain County, Ohio. Resided in the counties of Fond du Lac and Winnebago, Wis., and followed the lumbering business several years, and came to Kansas in 1857. Was married Christmas day, 1856, at Plover, Portage County, Wis., Miss Hester a sic Mitchell, a native of Fountain County, Ind., and has three children - Ira, Edwin, and Hugh. Is a member of the Topeka Lodge, No. 17, A. F. & A. M. and was a member of Dover Grange P. of H. Has been Township Treasurer for two years.
CHARLES HOLMES, farmer, P. O. Dover; owns 120 acres on Sections 30 and 31, about fifty acres under cultivation, corn and millet is the crop; corn will average 35 bushels per acre; house is 14x22 a story and a half, containing four rooms and cellar; stone wall and hay sheds. He has twenty head of cattle, four horses and sixteen head of hogs. He came to Kansas in 1869; was born in Leicestershire, England, October 30, 1847; came to Canada in 1869 and from there to Kansas; worked as a porter in a hotel in Scarborough, England, and other fashionable hotels until coming to America. He was married February 10, 1880, in England, to Miss Emily Walker. He has made two trips to England since coming to America. He has one child - Charlotte. He belonged to the I. O. O. F., in England.
DAVID HOOD, on the farm of Mr. F. Kendall, located twelve miles west of Topeka, on Mission Creek, P. O. Valencia. Had large acreage and good crops in 1882, and has a large number of stock. Came to Kansas in 1868, from Greenup County, Ky., after remaining two years in Massac County, Ill. Was born in Greenup County, Ky., March 24, 1833. Enlisted in 1862, in Company A, Tenth Kentucky Cavalry, which was confined to operations in Kentucky. Remained in the service thirteen months; was married to Miss Mary A. Diggins, and has seven children - William, Luginia sic, Mary, Alice, Tobias, Clarence and Myrtle.
CHARLES P. JONES, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Redpath. Owns 120 acres, fifty acres in cultivation. His house was the third house built on Vassar Creek; farm is well supplied with fruit, chiefly peaches and grapes. He was born in Gibson County, Ind., April 26, 1832, living there until twenty-eight years old, when he went to Posey County, where he remained eight years, when he returned to Gibson County, remaining there until 1866, when he moved to Kansas, locating in Saline County; after a residence there of two years, he returned to Indiana; the next year he again came to Kansas, settling near Burlingame where he resided several years, and then moved to his present residence. He married in 1851, in Gibson County, Ind., Miss Rachel Newman; they have four children living - Harrison E., Julia V., Bertha and Wilmot. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE KEMBLE, farmer, owns 160 acres on Section 11, one and one-half miles south of Dover. Has forty head of cattle, four horses, sixteen hogs. Came to Kansas in December, 1880, from Onondaga County, N. Y. Was born in Devonshire, Parish of Chittonbishop, August 16, 1840; came to America in April, 1873. He learned the shoemaker's trade, which he carried on in England prior to coming to America; engaged in farming in Onondaga County, N. Y., where he remained until coming to Kansas. Was married in 1863 in Dunsford, England, to Miss Emma Crispin and has four children - Augustus C., Frank, Albert and Henrietta. Mr. Kemble is a member of St. John's Lodge I. O. O. F., Boveytracey, England.