|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FARMER - FULLER).
JOHN E. FARMER, butcher of the firm of Smith & Farmer, North Topeka, came to Topeka in 1876. Afterward worked for Fowler Bro's of the Anglo-American Packing and Provision Co., of Kansas City, about three years. Was born July 1, 1855, in Berkshire, England. Remained in his native town until the age of 16, when he emigrated to America, settling in Chicago, where he worked at his trade. He has made three voyages to England since coming to America. He is a member of the I.O.G.T., Kansas Valley Lodge of Kansas City, and is a member of the Baptist Church.
H. W. FARNSWORTH was born in Brattleboro, Vt., October 13, 1816. He remained and was educated in his native town until he entered college at Williamston, in 1836, from which institution he graduated in 1840. After leaving College he went to Alabama and taught school until December, 1841, and then returned to New England and became Principal of the Female Academy in New London, Conn., retaining the position until March, 1855. He then engaged in the railroad business one year, and March 4, 1856, turned his steps toward the West, arriving at Lawrence, Kansas, May 9, 1856, and locating in Topeka a few days later. Mr. Farnsworth and partners built the first grist and saw mill which was constructed on the town site, running it until January, 1861, and retaining a third interest until 1864. He was a member of the first State Senate, representing the district comprising the counties of Jefferson, Jackson and Shawnee. In June, 1861, he was appointed by Mr. Lincoln agent for the Kansas Indians, and held that position until October, 1866. December 1, 1866, he was appointed one of three special commissioners to inspect all the Kansas Indian tribes, and take deputations of the various tribes--about thirteen in all--to Washington, to effect treaties preparatory to the removal of the Indians from Kansas. During the years of his connection with Indian affairs, Mr. Farnsworth resided at the Indian agency house, but on concluding his work in May, 1867, removed his family to Topeka to the house he built in 1856, and in which he still resides. In March, 1869 he was appointed Postmaster of Topeka by Gen. Grant, and held that office four years. He was Mayor of the city one term. He has always been prominently identified with the religious and educational interests of Topeka--being one of the founders and for many years a deacon of the Congregational Church, a trustee of Washburn College since its organization, and for several years a member of the school board, now and for many years its clerk. Mr. Farnsworth was married in Boston, Mass., March 17, 1842, Della T. Lerow, a native of Orange, Mass., who died June 5, 1850, leaving two children--Kate L., now Mrs. Carlos G. Akin, a widow of Topeka, and Mary A., now Mrs. Henry C. Akin, of Omaha, Neb. He was again married at New London, Conn., December 3, 1855, to Harriet A. Stoddard, of New London. They have five children--Will S., born in Topeka, September 10, 1856, Adaline L., born in June, 1858,; James W., born April, 1860;, Coit L., born at Kansas Agency, April, 1863; Fred C., born at Kansas Agency, April, 1866. Mr. Farnsworth is a mason of twenty-one years' standing, having been a member of Topeka Lodge No. 17 that number of years, and secretary since 1876.
J. W. FARNSWORTH was born in Chautauqua County, N.Y., and in early life removed to Battle Creek, Mich., from whence he emigrated to Kansas in April, 1856, and located at Lawrence. In the following June he located in Topeka and commenced mercantile business, in which he has been continuously engaged with the exception of about eighteen months since that time, having carried on retail and wholesale crockery business since the spring of 1867. Mr. Farnsworth is a member of the Episcopal Church, and has been a member of the bard of trustees of the Episcopal Female Seminary--now Bethany College--since its start. He has been several times a member of the board of aldermen, and for two or three terms president of the board.
G. W. FAUGHT, carpenter and foreman for Thomas V. Codington. Came to Kansas in 1878, and located in Morganville, Clay County, from Cincinnati, Ohio. Remained in Clay County one year and then came to Topeka, where he has since resided. Worked for the A., T. & S.F. railroad in the bridge and building department. Did business for himself in 1880-81, and since then has been in the employ of Mr. Codington. Since learning his trade has had the supervision of work and been foreman with the exception of about two years. Enlisted in the army in the fall of 1862 in Cox's Battery at Lexington, Ky. Were on provost duty for about two months, when Smith and Morgan's forces made an attack on the city and his battery disbanded and the men dispersed, some going to Louisville and some to Cincinnati. Mr. Faught was among the latter, where he united with Col. Frank Woolford's (commonly known as "Little Frank") cavalry. This command did good service and were always on the alert ready to strike the enemy when he least expected it. They met Morgan's forces at Cumberland Gap and repulsed them. At Knoxville they were ordered to Franklin and participated in the second fight. Went back to Cumberland Gap and at Green River repulsed Forrest and routed his forces. From there went to Winchester and on to Wild Cat, where they defeated the enemy, as also at Big Hill beyond Richmond. There met Smith's forces and were defeated. The force that Mr. Faught was with fell back to Covington and disbanded, Mr. Faught going to Cincinnati where he remained until coming to Kansas. At Wild Cat the rebel batteries were planted on the crest of a hill in the form of a crescent, with the Union forces in the ravine. Col. Metcalf was ordered to silence the rebel batteries. He attempted it but failed. Col. Woolford was then asked if he could perform the perilous task. He replied that he didn't know but would ask his men. The response to this call was a cheer and double quick march up the hill. Through smoke and dust, bushes and over logs the dust-brown heroes drove everything before them until they reached the crest and planted the stars and stripes on the rebel works. But it was at an awful cost. Mr. Faught was in the thickest of this gallant and bloody charge, but his bosom friend, Dick Diamond, a gallant and brave man, was killed. The next day one of the rebel generals in command remarked: "There must have been a nest of wild cats in that Glen from the cries last night." Mr. Faught was born July 8, 1835, at Harrisburg, Pa., and when three years of age moved to Woodford County where he remained until twenty-one years old, with his father, a contractor and builder. From there went to Lexington where he remained a short time, then went South, working at his trade in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama for about three years when he returned to Lexington and was married in 1861 to Miss Anna E. Kidd, a native of Scott County, Ky. They have four children living: George W., Jennie W., Anna L., and John Mead. Is a member of Morton Lodge No. 155, I.O.O.F., Liberty, Ind., Warren Lodge No. 15, A.F. & A.M. Connorsville, Ind., and Damon Lodge No. 72, A.O.U.W., Cincinnati, Ohio. Is a member of the Christian Church of Topeka. Mr. Fraught was a Democrat prior to the war, but since then has been a Republican.
S. A. FELTER, was born in Greene County, N.Y., December 6, 1833; he removed with his parents to Schoharie County, when about five years old, and resided on a farm, attending district school in winter, and working in summer, until 1848, at which time he was apprenticed to the printing business in Bainbridge, Chenango Co., N.Y. After serving his time, he left the printing office on account of ill health, and in 1852 entered the Gilbertsville Academy as a student, where he remained until 1856, teaching school during his vacations; he then entered the State Normal School at Trenton, N.J., and after graduating from that institution in 1857, accepted the position of principal of the training school connected with the New Jersey State Normal School at Beverly, N.J. He resigned this position in 1859, to accept a position in the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, Brooklyn, N.Y. In 1861 he wrote and published the first of Felter's Series of Arithmetics, followed by a second volume in 1862, and a third in 1863, receiving an honorary degree of A.M., from the faculty of Princeton College N.J. He was married in October, 1863, in Gilbertsville, Chenango Co., N.Y., to Miss Lizzie Berndige; his wife died the following October, and he married in December, 1866, Miss Kate Nash of New York, who died October 8, 1867, leaving an infant son. Mr. Felter resigned his position in the Polytechnic Institute on account of ill health, and spent the winter of 1869-70, in traveling the States of New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland, examining the district school system of those states; he came to Kansas in July, 1870, and during the following winter taught district school in Shawnee County; he accepted a position in the State Department of Public Instruction as assistant, during the incumbency of Hon. D. M. McCarty, which he held during the term of Hon. John Traur, and which he resigned in 1876. The following year he commenced the publication of Felter's Elements of Bookkeeping, and has also since, in Kansas, completely re-written Felter's entire series of mathematical works. He was married to Miss Lizzie Thompson, in April, 1876; in 1878, he commence the school supply business in Topeka, under the name of Western School Supply Company, admitting Z.F. Riley, as partner, in 1879. The company publish school cards, and deal in school furniture and books making a specialty of blackboards and furnishing school district libraries.
WILLIAM H. FERNALD, of the firm Fernald Bros. Marble and Granite Works, 157 and 159 Quincy street, was born in Lafayette, Ind., in 1856; his father, Holmes Fernald, an architect is still living at the age of sixty-seven years; his grandfather, Benjamin Fernald, is also living at the advanced age of 100 years; he is a veteran of the war of 1812. William Fernald came to this State in 1867; settling in Topeka; he was educated at the Topeka High School, graduating in 1879; he was married to Miss Elva Moore, daughter of D. H. Moore, Esq., one of the first settlers of Topeka, coming here in 1855. Mr. Fernald has made a tablet for the Washington monument now being erected at Washington, D.C. It is contributed by the State Historical Society; it is made of the Safford stone of Safford Station in this State; on the Santa Fe road; it is inscribed with the word "Kansas" in raised letters, a shield of the State, or coat of arms, with the time of the Territorial organization and the date of the admission of Kansas as a State.
WILLIAM R. FISH, proprietor of China Tea Store and Topeka Steam Coffee and Spice Mills, was born in Jefferson County, Ind. in 1843, where he lived until 1859, when he settled in Mattoon, Ill., where he was in the grocery business twelve years. His father, Marshall G. Fish, died in 1855. Mr. Fish came to Topeka in 1881 and established the business already mentioned, which is the only one of its kind in the State. He carries a very large stock of teas and sixteen grades of coffee. He has facilities for roasting and grinding a ton of coffee a day, as well as grinding a thousand pounds of spices. Mr. Fish was married to Miss Sarah Neavill, of Kinmundy, Ill., in 1870. They have one son. Mr. Fish enlisted in 1862 in the Eighty-eighth Illinois, called the Second Chicago Board of Trade regiment. He served three years and was in eighteen general engagements, and was wounded before Atlanta. He was mustered out of service in 1865 at Chicago. He is now a member of the Gen. Rice Post, G.A.R.
J. J. FISHER, register of the United States Land Office, was born near Lancsater, sic Fairfield Co., Ohio, February 5, 1823. He lived in his native town until September, 1848, at that time removed to Peru, Miami Co., Ind., where he engaged in the manufacture of carriages, wagons, plows, etc., and remained until he migrated to Kansas in November, 1867, and located at Topeka where he has since resided. He was engaged in the restaurant business about two years, and afterward in real estate, being appointed register of United States land office in January, 1882, which office he still retains. Mr. Fisher was married at Lancaster, Ohio, August 31, 1845, to Sarah A. McFarlin, a native of Maryland. Of their four children but one is living, George W. John Wesley died at the age of 18 years; Benjamin F. at the age of five years, and Sarah A. at the age of thirteen months. George W., son of J. J. Fisher, with the family removed to Indiana in 1848. He enlisted in Company A. One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, May 4, 1864, and was discharged September 22, 1864. He again enlisted January 26, 1865 in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry and served until September 19, 1865; was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn. He was educated at the public schools of Indiana and at Asbury University, at Greencastle, Ind., and immigrated to Kansas January 8, 1868. He has been mainly engaged in real estate business since his residence in Topeka, and is now employed as clerk for the register and receiver of the United States land office in that city.
D. H. FORBES, dealer in hardware, stoves and tinware; was born at Westboro, Mass., January 3, 1851; lived in his native town until 1865, then went to Boston, Mass., and staid sic until 1868 when he removed to Kansas City, Mo., where he was employed in the hardware store of his brother until 1872, when he came to Topeka, where he has since been engaged in his present business. He was married in Topeka, March 4, 1873, to Celeste McAfee, daughter of Hon. J. B. McAfee; she is a native of Maryland, but was reared in Kansas from infancy. They have two children--Lee Clinton and Henry Trowbridge. Mr. Forbes is a member of the Congregational Church.
HON. CASSIUS G. FOSTER, Judge of the United States District Court, located at Atchison on his first arrival in Kansas in 1859 and remained a resident of that city, engaged in the practice of law until his appointment as Judge of the United States District Court in March, 1874. During the years of his residence in Atchison he was a member of the State senate of 1863-84; served as Mayor of Atchison in 1867. He removed to Topeka in March, 1879. Judge Foster was born in the town of Webster, Monroe Co., N.Y., January 22, 1837. He commenced his legal studies at Rochester, N.Y., and continued them at Le Roy, remaining at the latter place a year and a half. He was admitted to the bar at Batavia, N.Y., in 1859. He was married at Lawrence, Kansas, September, 1878, Angie V. Ludington, a native of Massachusetts, her parents afterwards becoming residents of Lawrence. Judge and Mrs. Foster have buried one child and now have an infant daughter.
FREEMAN R. FOSTER, farmer, P. O. Topeka, was born in Crawford County, Penn., April 1, 1832; his father, Robert F. Foster, had been in the war of 1812, and although advanced in years, served for three months in the Federal army during the rebellion. Mr. Foster located in Lawrence, Kas., in November, 1854, and joined the Topeka settlers the following month, locating on 150 acres of land situated on the headwaters of the Little Shunganunga five miles south of Topeka on the Burlingame road where he still resides. He has devoted his attention for many years to breeding and raising stock, and at present he has about seventy-five head of cattle (thoroughbred to Short-horn), twenty horses and colts (the latter from American mares by Norman horses), and 200 hogs. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered out in 1863. He participated in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam and Chancellorsville, and afterwards in the Kansas militia in the "Big Blue." August 13, 1857, in Crawford County, Penn., he married Miss Martha E. Bowman, by whom he has three children living. Mr. Foster was Township Trustee from 1869 to 1873, and represented Shawnee County in the Legislature in 1874-'75. He is a charter member of Topeka Lodge No. 17, A.F. & A.M., and by his untiring energy and well known integrity has contributed much towards the welfare of his adopted State.
J. H. FOUCHT, was born near Crossville, Perry Co., Ohio, March 17, 1846. He acquired his education in the common schools of the county and at Hedelburg College at Tiffin, Ohio. In March, 1879 he moved to Topeka and for the succeeding five years was engaged in teaching in Shawnee and Jefferson counties. He then embarked in grain business, which he continued about three years, the firm being Keever & Foucht, and next started a hardware business in North Topeka, which he still continues; being also interested in mining and smelting in Colorado; the companies with which he is connected being the Sabbath Rest Mining Co., and Vulcan Smelting Co. He is director and treasurer of the mining, and stockholder in the smelting company. Mr. F. was a member of the last Kansas House of Representatives, and has been a member of the Topeka School Board three years. Also a member of the Congregational Church and Orders of A.F. & A.M. and K. of H. He was married in Topeka, February, 1877, to Julia E. Dutton, a native of New York, and daughter of M. R. Dutton, one of the early settlers of Kansas. They have one child living, Mabel, born October, 1877.
C. M. FOULKS, claim agent, Topeka & Santa Fe R.R., was born in Mansfield, Richland Co., Ohio, August 29, 1844. He was educated in his native town in 1862; he enlisted in Company C One Hundred and Second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served until the close of the war the last year of his service attached to the Adjutant General' sic office. In 1867 he removed to Kansas, locating in Emporia where he engaged in clerking about two years; he then commenced business on his own account in Eldorado, Kan., whe sic he remained five years, thence moving to Osage City, where he continued to engage in mercantile business about four years ,onger. sic After an interval spent in mining in Colorado, he became connected in January, 1881, with the A.T. & S.F. R.R., holding the position of right of way agent, with headquarters at Topeka; was appointed to present position in July, 1882. Mr. Foulks is a member of the A.F. & A.M.
JOHN FREEMAN, shoemaker, came to Kansas in 1870 from Canada; was born in 1807, in Prince Edwards County, Va.; lived there until he was about twenty years of age, and removed to Monroe, Walton Co., Ga., where he remained nine or ten years, and went to Indianapolis. He was for five years janitor of Henry Ward Beecher's church at Indianapolis. Mr. Freeman has an eventful history. While he was living at Indianapolis, and in the year 1853, Pleasant Ellington, a citizen of Missouri, came there and claimed him as his slave, and instituted suit accordingly, stating that Freeman had escaped from him while he (Ellington) was a resident of Kentucky. He then caused the imprisonment of Freeman for sixty-eight days, during most of which time the United States Marshal required of the prisoner three dollars per day, for guarding him, positively refusing to take bail, in any amount, though offered to the amount of half a million. An offer was made by Freeman's friends to buy him, but this was rejected by the claimant. Freeman was put to the expense of sending to Georgia for witnesses to prove that he was a free man. Notwithstanding this clear evidence of the prisoner's freedom, Ellington persisted in urging his claim, which made it necessary to call other witnesses from Alabama and Kentucky. At last Freeman was discharged, and gained his case, but found himself ruined in property; for he had not only been deprived of his property for a time, but had been obliged to meet the expense of calling the necessary witnesses from a great distance. By his industry and economy, Freeman had acquired a little property, but this was pledged for the security of his notes, given to pay the expenses of his trial--witnesses and attorney fees. His case was laid out before a generous public, and by liberal contributions he was enabled to pay his debts and save his property. He was married in Indianapolis, Ind., to Letitia Draper, who at that time was living with Mr. Beecher's family. Is a member of the Fourth Baptist Church of Topeka, which he built and furnished out of his own private means. Have five children--Henry, John, Jr., Elijah, Martha and Harriet. Two of the boys are farming, and one is in the employ of the A.,T. & S.F. R.R. Co. Miss Hattie E. Freeman, Mr. F.'s youngest daughter, is a graduate of Topeka High School, and expects to make teaching her profession.
A. M. FULLER is a native of Oquawka, Henderson Co., Ill., where he was born, November 26, 1843, and lived until April, 1861. At that time he enlisted in Company F, Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, a three-months regiment; and when the regiment was re-organized, re-enlisted in Company E of the same regiment. He participated in the various engagements in which his regiment had a part, and was mustered out July 12, 1865. In the following month he engaged in grain business at Lodi, Kane Co., Ill., where he remained until he migrated to Kansas. He located at Topeka in December, 1869, and after doing carpenter work six months, crossed the river and ran the implement establishment of Isaac Morris, at North Topeka, for a year. He was then with Crawford, Gorham & Stone one year, with W. W. Campbell & Bro. a year, and then for six years was in the employ of the Moline Plow Co., as traveling salesman in Kansas, southern Nebraska, and north Missouri. February 1, 1879, he engaged in agricultural implement business in Topeka, which he still continues. Mr. Fuller was City Treasurer from April, 1881, to April, 1882, resigning his position at that time. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and G.A.R. He was married at Lodi, Kane Co., Ill., December 18, 1868, to Susie B. Gardner, a native of Illinois, by whom he has one child, Augusta L.