|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (DALTON - EWART).
SAMUEL DALTON, attorney, came to Topeka May 20, 1881, and has been engaged in practice here since that time. He was born in Orangeville Township, Orange Co., Ind., March 30, 1843, and educated at the State University at Bloomington, Ind. He graduated from the law department of that college in 1871, and commenced practice at Paoli, Orange Co., Ind., but remained there only a month. He then located at Bowling Green, Clay Co., Ind., and remained there until August, 1876, when he removed to Terre Haute, making that his home for three years. His next location was at Albion, Boone Co., Neb., where he resided until he came to Topeka. Mr. D. enlisted as a private in Company K, Fifty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry February 22, 1862, and served until August 17, 1865, remaining with his regiment throughout. He was at the battle of Shiloh, the siege of Corinth, with Grant in his march through Mississippi to Oxford, at the siege of Memphis, at Vicksburg for forty-four days during the siege and with McPherson during his raid to Grenada, Miss. After serving two years of first enlistment he re-enlisted as a veteran, and was with Sherman in his campaign before Atlanta, his march to the sea, and on to Washington. He was married in Chambersburg, Orange Co., Ind., December 17, 1872, to Elma Belle Boyd, a native of that county. They have two children--Estella, born June 7, 1874, and Nina, born July 17, 1881. Mr. Dalton is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R.
BENJAMIN M. DAVIES, lumber merchant, came to Topeka in June, 1877. Prior to this time he had been in business with his brother, James M. Davies, and Mr. Manspeaker, until their mill burned in July. In September, 1877, the firm engaged in lumber business, from which Mr. Manspeaker retired in March, 1878, Davies Brothers having carried on the business alone since that time. In 1877 they also started a lumber yard in North Topeka, and in 1880 established a receiving yard, containing about five acres of ground. The business in 1881 amounted to $150,000, with every prospect of a large increase in the future; they keep seven teams and employ thirty men the whole year. Mr. Davies was born in Granville, Ohio, November 13, 1840. In the spring of 1856 he moved to Cumberland County, Ills., where he remained until 1862, and then at Urbana, Ill., until he emigrated to Kansas. He was married in Greenup, Cumberland Co., Ill., August 11, 1861, to Elizabeth Cook, a native of Logan, Hocking Co., Ohio. They have two children--Lillian and Charles. Mr. D. is a member of the A.F. & A.M., Blue Lodge and Chapter, Knights Templar.
JAMES M. DAVIES came to Topeka in 1872 and erected buildings, but did not permanently locate, and engaged in business until May, 1875. He then went into the grocery business with W. W. Manspeaker, and later engaged in the lumber business with the same gentleman. They subsequently sold out both grocery and lumber business, and built a flouring mill where the Inter Ocean Mills are now located. Their mills were destroyed by fire in July, 1877, and they again went into the lumber business in September of the same year.
BENJAMIN F. DAWSON, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Topeka. Owns 160 acres, 140 acres in cultivation; has fine brick dwelling and good outbuildings, good orchard, hedges well set, a first-class farm. Has occupied position as Director of School Board, and is now Clerk of District No. 36. Came to Kansas September, 1855; located on present farm; since that time has spent three and one-half years in the city of Topeka in business. He enlisted as private in the Second Kansas Militia, just before the Price Raid, and was with his command at the battle of Locust Grove, on the Big Blue, in Missouri, where he, with a number of his command, were captured by Shelby's Division, and after a forced march of six days, during which many of his comrades lost their lives from sunstroke, exhaustion, etc., was paroled and came home, but was never regularly discharged. Mr. Dawson was born in the State of Indiana, in June, 1830. Moved with his parents to Illinois in 1832, remaining there until he came to Kansas. He was married April 4, 1861, to Miss Susan M. Wade, and has six children--Carrie M., Emma, Mary E., William, Julia and Frank.
JOHN W. DAY, attorney, was born at Petersburg, Adams Co., Pa., April 12, 1833, and when about one year of age removed with his parents to Ohio. He is a son of Rev. Isaac D. Day, of the American Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly of the Cincinnati Conference, but at the time of his death, which occurred near Lancaster, Ohio, of the Ohio Conference. He was educated in the common schools of Ohio and at Waynesville Academy, in Warren County, of the same State. After leaving school he learned the printer's trade and worked at it for three years prior to coming to Kansas on May 14, 1856. His first location was at Leavenworth, but after staying for a few months he went to Jefferson County and took up land in Jefferson Township, his postoffice address being Grasshopper Falls. In 1857 he was elected County Clerk and Recorder of Jefferson County, and was ex-officio Clerk of the Court. He retained that office four years, prosecuting the study of law at the same time, and was admitted to the bar at Oskaloosa in 1862, having practiced in the inferior courts prior to that time. In July, 1860, he became practically the manager of the Oskaloosa Independent, and retained the control and management of that paper until 1862, being associate editor until 1863. He was appointed Probate Judge to fill a vacancy in 1861, and in the fall of 1862 was elected to that office by the people, but resigned in October, 1863, and accepted the position of Acting Assistant Paymaster in the Navy. He was first ordered to the Mississippi squadron, but subsequently to the Gulf Squadron, where he remained until September, 1865, arriving at Oskaloosa September 30 of that month. He had determined to locate at Topeka when he left the Navy, but his friends in Jefferson County had nominated him for Probate Judge without his knowledge and being elected he felt it to be his duty to fill the position. He was re-elected and held that office for four years, subsequently confining himself to the practice of his profession at Oskaloosa until 1875, when he removed to Topeka, where he has since been engaged in practice. In 1859-60 he was Docket Clerk of the Kansas Territorial Legislature. He was married at Oskaloosa, December 8, 1859, to Mary J. Fairholm, a native of Waynesville, Ohio. They have had two children, but both of them died in infancy. Mr. Day is an Odd Fellow, and a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Topeka.
THOMAS J. DEAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, P. O. Topeka, owns 320 acres, 160 under cultivation and 160 in meadow and pasture; has good dwelling, outhouses and orchard; has at present seven horses, fifty head of cattle and fifty head of hogs. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, first locating in Atchison County, and came to this farm in the spring of 1870. Has been Treasurer of the School Board. Enlisted as private in 1861, in Company D, Second Kansas Cavalry, and was with the regiment in all its campaigns; was in the engagements of old Fort Wayne, Parrott's Grove, etc.; was promoted to Corporal and Sergeant, and mustered out January, 1865. Was born in Huron County, Ohio, November 18, 1835; came from native place to Kansas. Was married in March, 1870, to Mrs. Harriet Reese, has two step-children--James O. and Mary J.; his own children are, George A., Frank I. and Minnie. Mrs. D. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HAMILTON J. DENNIS was born in Franklin, Lenawee, Mich., June 11, 1825. After completing his preparatory studies he entered Michigan University at Ann Arbor, graduating from the literary department of that institution in 1858, and from the law department in 1861. In the fall of the following year he emigrated to Kansas, first locating in Leavenworth, in which city he served two terms as City Clerk, and nine years as Clerk of the District Court. March 1, 1881, he was appointed State Librarian, by the Governor, on the recommendation of the Judges of the Supreme Court. Mr. Dennis was married at Quincy, Ills., November 22, 1865 to Adelia M. Davis. They have three children--Zoe V., Mary H. and Alta A.
H. X. DEVENDORF is a native of Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., N.Y., where he was born April 19, 1837, and resided until he came to Kansas in October, 1876. In the summer of 1864 he enlisted as a private in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-second New York Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out as Orderly Sergeant in May, 1865. After locating in Topeka in 1876, Mr. D. was employed as traveling correspondent and agent of the Topeka Commonwealth, remaining in that position until January, 1879, and subsequently being Executive Clerk for Gov. St. John. He was married in Peru, Berkshire Co., Mass., September 28, 1860, to Sarah E. Cone, a native of that place. They have five children living--Mary E., Chas. L., Minnie B., Alice K. and Lelia F. One daughter, Grace E., died December 13, 1881, aged thirteen years. Mr. D. is a member of the G.A.R., and commander of Lincoln Post No. 1, which was organized June 29, 1881, with a membership of twenty-two, and now has three hundred and eight active members; also a member of A.O.U.W., and A., F. & A.M.
GEORGE DICK, M.D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, located in Topeka in October, 1869, and has been continuously engaged in practice in the city since that time. He was born near Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio, December 28, 1828, that county remaining his home until he came to Kansas. He was educated at Miami University, in Ohio, and St. Louis Homeopathic Medical College, graduating from the latter in the spring of 1861. Prior to graduating he had practiced medicine in Eaton, Preble Co., Ohio, and immediately after graduating he commenced practice in Hamilton, Ohio. He was married at Cleaves, Ohio, February, 1849, to Deddy A. Ogden, a native of Ohio. They have seven children--George Edgar, Lou Ogden, Anna May, May Jean, Sarah Albertie, Nellie Grant and Charles H. Dr. Dick is a member of the Kansas State Homeopathic Medical Society, the Western Academy of Homeopathy, and the Topeka Medical Society.
WILLIAM G. DICKINSON, general agent, Arkansas Valley Town Company, and auditor of the Land Department, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, was born in Malone, Franklin Co., N.Y., June 21, 1826. He was educated in the schools of his native county, and at Bakersfield Academy, Bakersfield, Vt. He commenced clerking at the age of sixteen years. After reaching his majority he commenced business on his own account. In 1866 removed to New York City where he continued in mercantile business until the spring of 1872, when he removed to Duluth, Minn., to take the position of general agent of the Northern Pacific Railroad, retaining this position until February, 1875, when he was appointed to the position he now holds.
H. P. DILLON located in Topeka, October, 1876, and has been engaged in the practice of law in the city since that time; since 1879 associated with A. L. Williams. Mr. Dillon, a son of Judge Dillon, of the United States Circuit Court, was born in Davenport, Iowa, and educated at Antioch College and at the Iowa Law School at Iowa City. For the last three years he has been Master in Chancery in United States Court. He is a director of the Central Bank of Kansas, of the Manhattan & Blue Valley R.R., and of the Salina & N.W. R.R.
ISAAC DOBBINS, market gardener and stone mason, Section 12, P.O. Topeka. Owns seven acres, well improved; gardens in summer and works at his trade in winter. Came to Kansas in March, 1876 and stopped in Topeka. Had but $12 on arrival, but went to work at his trade, and by economy saved enough to buy two out lots. Sold them and bought present place, locating here July 13, 1880. His place is worth $1,000. Born in slavery, in Maury County, Tennessee, December 21, 1828. Came from native place to Kansas. Has been twice married; first time to Catharine McFall, in 1850. Had three children by first marriage--Virginia, Melinda and Seward. Married second time to Amanda Moore, January 8, 1878. Member of the Benevolent Society, also Knights of Wise Men.
SAMUEL DOLMAN, clothier, grain dealer and railroad constructor, was born in Grant County, Ind., in 1834. Came to Kansas as a Free-state man in 1856, being then only a little past twenty-one years of age. He engaged in mercantile business at Tecumseh, where he was driven from his home by Buford's men who were border ruffians of the deepest dye. Mr. Dolman then took the saddle and actively participated in the struggle between the two factions until September, 1856, when he was arrested by United States Deputy Marshal Cramer and forty men, after a desperate struggle, having his horse crippled in the discharge of his duty in carrying messages from the people to the Governor. He was incarcerated in the so-called Lecompton Prison with 110 other Free-state comrades, who had been taken from various parts of the Territory under the pretense of law, for the crime of treason, placed under guard of 300 men who were commanded by Col. Titus, who was a bitter enemy, the men under his command being most bitter Pro-slavery thugs from the border counties of Missouri. The prisoners remained in Lecompton Prison for eight weeks, being fed on condemned Government bacon, with corn and oats chopped for bread. They were crowded into one small frame building as a prison, with a double guard, and were not even allowed to clean their quarters without being liable to be shot. For retorting to the insults of their keepers they were subjected to the most severe punishment; such as being bucked and gagged or thumbs tied to the ceiling, guards placed over them for the purpose of shooting any man who might venture to relieve their comrades in distress. This was done under the Democratic rule, which was so conducted to sustain human slavery in the Territory of Kansas. Mr. D. was married May 14, 1857, to Marinda K. Jordon, she then living five miles east of Topeka. Her father had been a slaveholder in Kentucky, but removed to Illinois prior to coming to Kansas where he came to do what he could to prevent the extension of slavery. In 1859 Mr. Dolman, with his wife and one child, went to Pike's Peak. After traveling over a considerable portion of Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, during a period of seven years, he returned in 1866 to Kansas, where he has since been engaged in milling, grain dealing, railroad contracting, and now is carrying on mercantile business in North Topeka. He has two sons grown and married, C.S. and R.D., who are also in mercantile business. Four other sons from six to sixteen years of age, and one daughter, constitute the family of one of the early settlers of Kansas. As a matter of general historical interest, Mr. D. wants it stated that while imprisoned at Lecompton, Col. Biggerton, one of the prisoners, received a proposition from Col. Titus that the prisoners would be released if they would join him in his Nicaraugua Expedition. The offer was rejected and spurned not only by Col. Biggerton, but by all his comrades.
REV. THOMAS F. DORNBLAZER, pastor of the Lutheran Church at Topeka, was born in Clinton County, Pa., near Mackeyville, June 27, 1841, and was educated at Springfield, Ohio, at Wittenburg College, from which he graduated in 1871. He enlisted as Sergeant of Company E, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry October 23, 1861; re-enlisted as a veteran and served until August, 1865, participating in all the battles of his command. He was wounded at the time of Kilpatrick's raid at Jonesboro in 1864, and once prior to that time at Nashville, in 1862. In 1872 he commenced the study of theology at the Theological Seminary at Springfield, Ohio, and was ordained at Nevada, Ohio, in October, 1873. He commenced preaching at Lucas, Richland Co., Ohio, and remained at that place for two years. In the fall of 1874 he removed to Kansas City, Mo., and was for five years pastor of the First Lutheran Church of that city. He was then for two years State missionary for the Lutheran Church of Kansas, when he accepted a call to the First (English) Lutheran Church of Topeka, which he still serves. Mr. Dornblazer was at one time nominated to the Pennsylvania Legislature, but declined the nomination. He is a Good Templar and a member of the K. of P. and G.A.R. He has been twice a delegate to the General Synod, and for three years President of the State Synod. He was married at Center Hall, Center Co., Pa., September 15, 1872, to Annie M. Shannon, daughter of John Shannon, Esq., a native of that place. They have four children--Mabel E., John S., Josephine A. and Thomas Franklin, Jr. He is at present Chaplain of Lincoln Post, Topeka, Kan.
S. H. DOWNS was born in Utica, N.Y., November 14, 1838. From the age of seven months he was reared in Cleveland, Ohio; educated in Ohio and Pennsylvania. In 1852 he went to California, and spent six years in that region. From 1859 to 1860 he was a resident of Colorado; then, after spending a short time in Ohio he returned to Colorado and remained until 1862. He then went to Idaho, now Montana Territory, and remained there most of the time until he located in Mission Township, Shawnee Co., Kan. in December, 1869, having purchased his farm in 1868, coming here at that time in the interests of the National Land Company. After three years spent improving his farm, he went to Topeka and engaged in the lumber business, which he carried on for one year. He organized the Patrons' Mutual Insurance of Kansas, and was secretary of the company for two years. Afterward engaged in agricultural implement business, besides being considerably interested in the shipment of corn from this point. For the last three years he has been engaged in the milling business, besides having one of the best seed warehouses in Kansas. He is now closing out his stock of farm machinery, with the intention of devoting his entire attention to milling and seed business.
GEORGE B. DUDLEY, ornamental painter and sign-writer, was born in Greenwich, Conn., May 4, 1854. In 1857 his parents moved to Minnesota, and afterwards to St. Louis, Mo., remaining several years. About the year 1867 they moved to the vicinity of Topeka, engaging in farming, which he followed several years. In 1876 he began painting and sign-writing, at which he is very skillful, having the reputation of being the best sign and ornamental painter in the city of Topeka. He understands perfectly all branches of the work. He does some portrait painting, but makes ornamental and caricature painting a specialty. He was married at Topeka, November 25, 1877, to Miss Hattie Butler. They have one child--Effie.
GUILFORD DUDLEY immigrated to Kansas in the early spring of 1855, remained for about three months in Lawrence, and then removed to Topeka, where he engaged in hotel business for a few months, subsequently dealing in real estate. During the troubles of the latter part of 1856, he served under Gen. J. H. Lane, a portion of the time as one of his guards. In 1857 he again resumed his real estate and brokerage business, which he continued until 1862, when he was appointed Adjutant General of Kansas, and retained the position one year and a half. He then entered the employ of Carney & Stephens, wholesale grocers of Leavenworth, as collecting agent in Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Kansas. He remained with the firm about three years, and again resumed his old business, which he has continued to the present time; his regular banking business being started in 1869. Mr. Dudley was Clerk of the Territorial Legislature in 1859, and City Clerk in 1861. He is a native of Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y., and was educated at Oberlin College, Ohio. He was married in Topeka, June 5, 1867, to Semantha V. Otis, a native of Rutland, Vt. They have two children--Margaret and Guilford, Jr.
CAPT. HORACE L. DUNLAP, attorney-at-law and Justice of the Peace, residence North Topeka, came to Kansas in the summer of 1856, from Buffalo, N.Y. Was born June 19, 1832, at Bozrah, Conn. Moved to western New York when quite young. Went to sea when sixteen years of age, and for several years was in the merchant and naval service. Was abroad the United States frigate San Jacinto in her first voyage to the Mediterranean. Has visited nearly all foreign countries, and was promoted to the position of first mate. Capt. Dunlap took a very active part in the border war of 1856, and was an active Free-state man. Was captured by the Pro-slavery men, and held as a prisoner at Leavenworth, and gained his liberty by professing allegiance to their cause and joining them. By this means he made his escape, made his way to Lawrence, and joined John Wright's company, which was composed of Arkansas, Missouri and Eastern men. A younger brother of the captain was also in this command, which was under Col. Harvey. Capt. Dunlap piloted the command back over the same ground followed by him while escaping, In the spring of 1857 Capt. Dunlap organized a company of militia, and was ordered to Easton for the protection of the ballot; at this time being the election of Delegate to Congress and a Territorial Legislature. He was elected a member of the Legislature under the Wyandotte Constitution. Participated in the fight on the second attack on Lawrence. Was well acquainted with John Brown, and knew all of the old man's plans. It was by the influence and valor of such men as Capt. Dunlap that the present liberal government of Kansas was made possible. Capt. Dunlap enlisted in the army in April, 1861, in the Twenty-first New York, Company C, as a private. Was transferred to the Fiftieth Illinois Infantry; promoted to Lieutenant and Regimental Drillmaster. Was commissioned by President Lincoln as Captain, First Regiment Missouri Volunteers (colored). Participated in the engagements at Fort Henry, Tenn., where he was wounded; at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, second battle of Corinth, where he was again wounded. With Fiftieth Illinois while in these engagements. Received two commissions, one as a Captain and one as a Lieutenant. He was married in 1858, at Buffalo, N.Y., to Miss Mary Mugridge, of Rome, N.Y. They have one child--Lucy, now Mrs. William H. Davis, whose husband is a wholesale grocer of North Topeka. A member of the Topeka Commandery, No. 5; is also a member of the G.A.R.
WILLIAM H. EARLY, M.D. was the fifth son of James and Sophia Early. His father's birthplace was Ireland, and his mother's was France. William was born near Lachine, Canada, July 16, 1830. His boyhood was spent near Malone, Franklin Co., N.Y., from which place he removed, in 1846, to Mansfield, Ohio, and remained one year. He then spent one year in Ashland and one year in Columbus, Ohio. From there he went to New Orleans. After spending a year there, he returned to Cincinnati, and there remained until 1853. He then emigrated to Iowa, and located at Keokuk. He commenced reading medicine with Prof. Hughs, in 1856. Commenced the practice of medicine at Keokuk in 1860. In 1862 he removed to Hancock County, Ill., and remained until April, 1863. He then removed to Lancaster, Schuyler Co., Mo., where he was Contract and Examining Surgeon of Militia three years. He then moved to Trading Post, Linn Co., Kan., July 5, 1866, and remained there until 1869. He then moved to La Cygne, Linn Co., Kan., and remained there until 1878. Aside from the duties of his profession, Dr. Early was engaged in the drug and general merchandise business for about twelve years. On November 5, 1878, the doctor moved from Linn County to Topeka, Shawnee Co., Kan., and engaged in the practice of medicine. The doctor is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, located at Keokuk, Iowa. He was a delegate to the Republican State Convention, from Linn County, in 1872 and 1876. He was Surgeon General of Kansas with rank of Colonel four years under Gov. Thomas A. Osborn. He is a member of the State Medical Society, and a member of the Academy of Medicine and Surgery. He is also a member of the I.O.O.F. and E.A.U. He is Physician and Surgeon of Kansas State Reform School. He was the City Physician in 1882. Is also Physician of United States Jail at Topeka, Kan. He was married at Keokuk, Iowa, September 2, 1855, to Miss Mary Irene Bruce, a daughter of Thomas Bruce, one of the oldest citizens of Keokuk. Two of the doctor's children died in infancy. Those surviving are William H., George W., Edward B., Mary S., Charles F., and Hattie B.
MRS. S. C. EASTER, bakery and ice cream parlor; also dealer in confectionery and fruit. Came to Kansas in 1866, from Indianapolis, Ind. Has been in present business four years. Was housekeeper of the Fifth Avenue Hotel for four years. Her husband died eight years ago at Dallas, Texas. Was born February 4, 1854, at Terre Haute, Ind. Resided in native place thirteen years, and removed to Indianapolis, and from thence to Kansas. Mrs. Easter also owns a restaurant at Scranton, Kan. She has by her own industry and economy acquired her business and property, having been left at the death of her husband without a dollar. Mrs. E. has one child, Hattie, nine years old.
M. M. EATON was born in Boston, Mass., May 22, 1809. When he was a child of three or four years of age, his father moved to Newport, Maine, with his family, at which place, and in Palmyra, Plymouth and Belfast, in the same state, M. M. Eaton resided until he came to Topeka, in May, 1870. After locating in that city he engaged in no active business for about six months and then became connected with the manufacturing department of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R.R. Company, remaining with the company for about three years. In 1874 he engaged in mercantile business, which he has since continued alone until November, 1881, and since that time in partnership with J. W. Plummer and A. W. Callahan. Mr. Eaton was married in Belfast, Maine, February 1831, to Mehitabel Parsons, a native of Ossipee, N.H. One son, John P., died at the age of twenty-two years, and they have five surviving children--Thomas B., Mary Samantha, Addie J., Alonzo M., and Arabella J. Mr. Eaton, while in Maine, was connected with the various temperance movements of the State, and is a member of the Baptist Church.
EDSON & BECK, dealers in grain, flour and feed, 115 Sixth avenue, east, have been in business the past three years. Business was established in 1870, by Mr. Edson, who carried it on until F. A. Beck became a partner in 1879. They do a business of $40,000 a year, handling all kinds of grain, except flax. They have a feed mill with a capacity of 400 bushels per day, grinding all feed handled by them. They also bale all the hay they use. They employ four men at their store and seven at the press which they run in fall and winter. Capt. Willis Edson was born in Knox County, Ill., July 19, 1837, living there and in McDonough County, Ill., until 1870; was engaged in mercantile business at Macomb and Galesburg several years. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He entered the service as a private; was promoted to Second Lieutenant the following winter, and held that position until 1864, when he was made Captain of his Company, which position he held until discharged by general order at the close of the war. He was married at Galesburg, Ill., July 11, 1868, to Miss Mary Roberts. They have two children, Frank P. and Jessie. In 1870 he came to Topeka and established his present business, carrying it on until the copartnership of Edson & Beck was formed. He is a member of Topeka Lodge No. 17, A.F. & A.M., and of Washington Lodge No. 787, K. of H., of Topeka Lodge No. 3, A.O.U.W., and of Lincoln Post No. 1, G.A.R., at Topeka.
W. C. EDWARDS, president of the Kansas Lumber Company, was born at Virgil, N.Y., August 23, 1846. He moved to Cortland, N.Y., while quite young, and resided in that place until he was twelve years old when he moved to Chicago and worked on the lumber docks one summer one and winter, sic as shipping clerk. The following year he went to Grand Haven, Mich., and for one year superintended the sawing and shipping from four saw-mills, at the same time running a large saw-mill for J. P. Hart & Co. In the summer of 1869 he sold it and went into the pineries, remaining through the winter. In the spring of 1870 he emigrated to Kansas and located at Solomon City and engaged in the lumber business which he continued a year and a half; in the meantime, during 1871, starting the same business at Cottonwood Falls, at Cedar Grove and at Newton, and during 1872 at Hutchinson and at Sterling. In 1872 he, with others, organized Edwards County, and it was named in honor of him. At Kinsley, the county, seat, Mr. Edwards erected several buildings, among others a large hotel and a large brick block. He started a lumber yard, and also established other branches of business there. In 1873 he admitted D. J. Fair as partner in the Sterling yard, and the firm of Edwards & Fair was organized. In 1874, his brother R. E. Edwards, came to Kansas, and the firm of Edwards Bros. & Fair, was established at Sterling, and that of Edwards Bros. at Kinsley. Since the firm of Edwards Bros & Fair was organized in 1874, five yards have been started by that firm, viz: at Nickerson, Reno County; Ellinwood, Barton County; Lyons, Rice County, and Little River, Rice County. Edwards Brothers also established lumber yards and hardware stores at Kinsley and Spearville. At Kinsley they have a bank and dry goods and grocery stores. They also own a large cattle ranch in Comanche County, at the head of Medicine Lodge Creek. In 1878 Mr. Edwards organized the Kansas Lumber Company, with a capital of $100,000, principal office at Topeka. He has been president and active manager of the company since its organization, and since then has established yards at Carbondale, Burlingame, Osage City, Burrton, McPherson Garden City and other places. Mr. E. is now the largest owner of twenty-two lumber yards, ten hardware store, sic a large saw-mill and lumber manufacturing company, employing over 250 men besides his various other interests, comprising large investments in real estate, cattle, etc. Mr. W. C. Edwards was married at Tully, N.Y., May 20, 1874, to Nettie E. Johnson, a native of New Haven, Conn. They buried one son of the age of eighteen months, and have two children living--William Rufus and Benjamin Jonathan.
L. F. EGGERS, attorney, arrived in Kansas in 1869, and located at Valley Falls. He resided at that place and at Oskaloosa until 1874 when he was appointed Registrar of the United States Land Office for the Western District of Kansas and removed to Hays City, remaining there in that position until the fall of 1878. In 1879 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, and in the fall of 1880 removed to North Topeka where he still resides. Mr. Eggers is a native of Nittany, Walker Township, Center Co., Pa. He was born February 22, 1845, and after reaching the age of twelve, lived in Lebanon and Berks Counties. He received his education at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, Pa., and in 1866 graduated from the Albany Law School, having previously read law with Senator Bouchter of Lebanon. During the war he served a short time in a Pennsylvania regiment under Major Greenwalt, and was at Gettsburg sic when Lee broke through the lines. He subsequently assisted in recruiting, acting in the capacity of First Lieutenant of Company C, Two Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. In 1864 he was placed in charge of an Ambulance Corps at City Point, and was afterwards on detached service with the Army of the Potomac. In 1872 Mr. Eggers was a delegate from Kansas to the Republican National Convention which nominated Gen. Grant for the Presidency, and was at one time Chairman of the Republican Senatorial Committee of his District in the west. He has been in several of the State Conventions and has served in the Congressional and County canvass. He was once elected Railroad Assessor; but, as the land of the railroad was changed after his election, he never served in that capacity. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., and has been connected with the I.O.O.F., and the A.F. & A.M. Mr. Eggers was married in North Topeka, April 6, 1882, to Olive A. Adams, of Bradford Co., Pa.
AVERY L. EMERY, of the firm of Emery Bros., manufacturers of galvanized iron cornice work, etc., was born in Thorntown, Boone Co., Ind., February 4, 1853. At a very early age he moved to Girard, Ill., where he lived until 1864 and then resided at Springfield, in the same State, until late in 1867, when he went to Richland, Wis., remaining there until l871, then went to Chicago where he lived about one year, then spent one winter again in Wisconsin; afterward for ten months was in Arkansas; then returned to Wisconsin where he continued to reside until he came to Kansas in March, 1880, residing in Butler and Elk counties until the spring of 1882, when he located in Topeka. He was in the employ here of W.A.L. Thompson until October 1, 1882, when he and his brother formed a copartnership carrying on the manufacturing business in which they are now engaged. Mr. Emery was married in Forest Township, Richland Co., Wis., December 5, 1878, to Luona M. Sandmire, a native of that county. They have one child--Mary Ella.
FRANK V. EMERY, of the firm Emery Bros., manufacturers of galvinized iron cornice, dormer windows and window caps, tin roofing, etc. Mr. E. was born at Thorntown, Boone Co., Ind., December 21, 1848; from the age of nine years until 1864 he lived at Girard, Ill., afterward at Springfield, Ill., until 1868; he then went to Chicago where he learned the business of manufacturing cornices, etc., with Emery & McFarland, beginning work at $2 per day and finally commanding $4.50 per day. In the fall of 1874 he removed to Wisconsin, where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1880; locating first at Butler County, remaining there until he came to Topeka. He was married in Chicago in November, 1871, to Laura M. Hyde, a native of the city of New York, but was reared in Chicago from the age of two years. They have two children--George Hyde and Claude William.
JOHN S. EMERY, of the firm of Stevenson, Emery & Taft, is a native of Flemington County, N.J. He came to Kansas City, Mo., in 1876, and was for a year and a half a member of the dry-goods firm of Bullene, Moone & Emery of that city. In 1878, he came to Topeka, and is now a resident of that city. The firm of Taft, Emery & Co. commenced business in the spring of 1880, and continued under that firm-name until August 1, 1881, when the present firm of Stevenson, Emery & Taft was organized, composed of George T. Stevenson, buyer in New York, John S. Emery, Edwin A. Taft and John R. Peckham; the latter becoming a partner February 1, 1882. Their business is extensive, giving employment to about thirty clerks, and now amounting to about $200,000 per annum.
JOSEPH ENGELKE, North Topeka, blacksmith, came to Shawnee County, Kan., in 1860, and located on a farm. Came to North Topeka in 1874, and engaged in business with H. Feuske, and commenced for himself at his present location in 1880. Was born January 14, 1855, in Platte County, Mo. Came to Kansas when two years old. Is a member of Kaw Valley Lodge No. 20, A.O.U.W.
A. J. EWART, grocer, 107 Sixth avenue, Topeka, was born in Newton, Ind., in 1841; his parents moved to Greenup, Ill., in 1853; his early school life was passed at his own home, but he completed his education in Bloomington, Wesleyan University. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-third Regiment, Illinois Infantry; he served about six months, when he was discharged for disability; his father, William Ewart, was a farmer and mechanic, and is still living at Greenup, Ill. His mother died in 1851. Mr. Ewart attended medical lectures in Cincinnati in the Physiometrical College in that city; he soon after engaged in the mercantile business, but in January, 1881, he sold out and removed to Topeka, where he established his present business. He was married in 1866 to Miss Sarah Cook, daughter of James Cook, formerly of Ohio, now deceased; they have six children, two sons and four daughters; the eldest, a daughter now sixteen, is attending high school in Topeka.