|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
ROBERT AILLS, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Afton, was born in Ontaria (sic), Canada, near the Falls of Niagara in 1841, his father James Aills having settled there upon the expiration of his term of twenty-one years service in the British army. The subject of this sketch was apprenticed to, and learned the trade of wood turner, at which he worked until 1876, when he went to Grand Rapids, Mich., to take charge of a large furniture factory. Mr. A., came to Kansas in 1879 and located for a time at Fort Scott, from whence he removed to his present farm of 160 acres in 1882. He has 75 acres under cultivation, and all his land under fence; whilst (sic) his residence (a neat frame) and outbuildings are insured. In May, 1869, he married Miss Sarah Pritchard of Hamilton Ont, who has borne him three children, viz: Robert, James and Azilla. Mr. Aills is a member of the I. O. G. T., and of the American Legion of Honor.
GUSTAVE BARTH, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Afton, was born in Brandenburg, Germany, in 1843, and learning the trade of a machinist, worked at that in his native country until 1859, when he went as engineer upon the New York and Hamburg steamers; and in 1861 came to this country. After a stay of six weeks in New York he went to Pennsylvania where, after experiencing many and varied vicissitudes, occasioned by his inability to speak English or procure work at his trade, he, after six months had elapsed, returned to New York, where he worked at his trade for a year and then went to Breckinridge County, Ky., where he built and worked a blacksmith and machine shop, but sold out in a year's time and removed to Cincinnati, where he remained three years engaged in various occupations, when he returned to Kentucky, and, November 8, 1871, was married to Mrs. Mary Scott, nee Leichhardt, and in October, 1872, started by wagon for Kansas, arriving upon his present homestead November 1st. Mr. Barth has now a fine farm of 320 acres, situated upon the banks of Clear Creek; he has 200 acres under cultivation with a good average yield of corn and wheat, whilst (sic) his yield of millet has been exceptionally large. His barns are large, and very conveniently arranged and are about the finest in Sedgwick County. Mr. B. has three children - Gustave, born August 24, 1872; Rosa, October 24, 1874, and Mary, born January 14, 1878. Being one of the first two settlers of this region, he experienced all the hardships incident to frontier life, and upon the organization of Afton Township was the first Clerk of the School Board of his district and by his efforts mainly, a schoolhouse was built at an early day, and he has ever been foremost in advancing the interests of the township. He is a member of the Baptist Church and superintendent of the Union Sunday school. He has always been a member of the School Board, and in February, 1882, was elected Township Trustee and returned in 1883.
WILLIAM S. JOHNSON, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Afton, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., 1834, and in childhood removed with his parents to McHenry County, Ill., where he remained until 1854, when he removed to Fayette County, Iowa, where he engaged in school teaching and farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Iowa Infantry, which was subsequently attached to the Thirteenth Army Corps. He participated in the engagements at Vicksburg and Fort Morgan and Blakely, and was mustered out with the rank of Corporal at Houston, Texas, August 15, 1865. Upon leaving the army he returned to Iowa, where, in 1870, he married Miss Ellen C. Bever, who bore him three children - Edward N., born June 27, 1874; Helen E., August 26, 1876, and Charles B., August 26, 1878. Mrs. Johnson died October 6, 1878, and ten days later the child, Charles B. April 26, 1880, Mr. J. was married to his present consort, Miss Eliza Shipley, who has borne him one child - Fannie R., born May 4, 1882. Mr. Johnson came to Kansas in 1875, and located upon his present farm of 160 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation, with a good grain yield. He has a fine orchard and several fine flowering shrubs adorn the grounds. Mr. Johnson was the first Trustee of the Township, holding the office two years and was also two years in office as Township Treasurer, and two as Clerk. He has also been a member of the School Board and is also Clerk of the Clear Creek Baptist Church.
ALBERT LEICHHARDT, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Afton, was born in 1834, in Berlin, Prussia, and when three years of age left Berlin and resided seven years in Hamburg. Came to this country with his parents, who settled for a time in Brooklyn, N. Y. Farmed seven years two miles from Hudson, N. Y. He then went to Breckinridge County, Ky., where he remained for twenty years engaged in farming, and there he married, in 1862, Miss Julia Reynolds, who has borne him twelve children, nine of whom survive, Annie and Bertha twins; the latter has taught two terms in the district school and is now attending the teacher's institute in Fort Scott, the former, Annie, is attending school at Wichita, Preston, Albert, Olive, Lilly, Gustave, Cora and Nellie. Mr. L. is a nephew of the celebrated explorer, Dr. Ludwig Leichhardt, who has received gold medals from the Queen of England and the French Society of Arts and Sciences, and who was at the head of the exploring expedition in the interior of Australia. Mr. L. with his brother-in-law, Mr. Barth, were the earliest settlers now in the township, coming to Kansas in the spring of 1872, and in the fall of 1874, he with two others gathered buffalo bones upon the prairie which they afterward sold for $8 per ton. This was the grasshopper year. In December of that year, 1874, he formed one of a party of three upon a buffalo hunt, in which they were very successful, but while on their way home they were overtaken by a very severe snow storm, accompanied by cold so intense that they passed upon the prairie the body of a negro whom they had seen but a few hours before in life and vigor but now a stiffened corpse. Finding the storm increasing they were compelled to abandon one wagon and contents and pushing on reached their homes on Christmas morning, but Mr. L. was so badly frost bitten that he was taken to Wichita for medical treatment, subsequently losing all the toes of both feet and being laid up over a year. Such was his first experience of a Kansas winter. He has now a fine farm of 360 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation, a good orchard, a comfortable residence and stone barns, which cost $1,500 to erect. Mr. L. is a member of the Lutheran Church and has been a member of the School Board of his district for several years.
WILLIAM LYMAN, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Afton, was born in Litchfield County, Conn. Is a son of Erastus and Abigail Starr Lyman. Was married in 1834 to Miss Mary A. Ives, daughter of Minnuas and Mary Ives. Has three children now living, Edgar W., Mary A., and Alfred L. Lyman. Came to Kansas in 1874 and located on the farm where he now lives. Was the organizer of Afton Township. Was Notary Public for four years. There was but one settler in the township when he came. He erected the third house. Is Postmaster of Afton. Was appointed in June, 1874, when the office was established. The first year it was a special office and he was allowed $12 for attending the office and $8 for having the mail carried to Wichita once a week, a distance of eighteen miles. In 1875 a regular United States mail route was established. The first letter received at the office was addressed to Andrew Minnium. There are now over 100 weekly papers received at the office. Started a drug and grocery store in the township.
ALFRED L. LYMAN, son of William and Mary A. Ives Lyman, farmer, Section 13, was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1853. Was married in 1880 to Miss Sara Henderson, daughter of L. F. and F. J. Henderson. Has two children, Edna T. Lyman and Mary Lyman. Came to Kansas in 1872, and located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 400 acres of land and is engaged in farming and stock raising. Built the second house in the township, now used for the Postoffice. Was the first mail carrier. Is Justice of the Peace and member of the School board, also one of the organizers of the township. Was the founder of the Afton Library, chartered in 1882. Contains over two hundred volumes. Is librarian. William Lyman, president and Alvin Minneck, secretary.
JOHN McDONALD, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Afton, was born in 1850 in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, where his father, who was a graduate of the Glasgow Medical College, was engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. McDonald received his education at Hutton Hall Academy, in the south of Scotland, a few miles distant from the grave of the poet Burns. By the death of his father when he was only fourteen years of age, he was left an orphan, and was adopted and brought up by a maternal uncle, who was engaged in business as a grocer in the city of Quebec, Canada, and with whom he remained several years. In 1872 he moved to Montreal and subsequently to Ontario, where he engaged in business as a merchant in the town of Almont, but finding the close confinement of the store injurious to his health he sold out and in 1879 took a voyage and journey to his native land, returning in the spring of 1880, and in the following year came to Kansas, locating upon his present farm of 160 acres, 105 of which are under cultivation, the principal crop being corn, which has given a good yield. He has a fine young orchard of 400 assorted fruit trees, and some thirty-five cattle, hogs, etc. Mr. McDonald is unmarried, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Odd Fellows Fraternity.
WILLIAM MARTIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 3, P. O. Afton, and one of the early settlers of this part of Sedgwick County. Was born in 1823 in Loudoun County, Va., and is originally of Irish descent, his grandfather having been engaged in the Irish troubles of 1798, fled to this country and settled in Virginia, in that year. Mr. M. was married in 1855 to Miss Hannah J. Leslie, also a native of Virginia, and whose ancestors had resided in that State prior to the Revolution. The issue of this marriage are - Leslie, born February 4, 1856, and who is now married and is the county agent of the Continental Insurance Company; Thomas Page, born November 1, 1857, and now in partnership with his father in the stock business, and Hannah J., born May 10, 1868, and now receiving her education in her native State. Mrs. Martin died July 9, 1868, and December 3, 1870, Mr. M. married her sister, Miss America Virginia Leslie, his present consort. Mr. Martin followed, for many years, the trade of his father, which was that of tanner, and had tanneries in Farquhar (sic) County, Va., and Hannibal, Mo., removing from the latter place to his present home in Kansas, in 1873. Since his residence here he has given his attention principally to stock raising, although 180 of his 320 acres are under cultivation, 60 acres being in corn and 120 in wheat, his grain yield being exceptionally good. He possesses two thoroughbred Durham bulls, and usually "carries" from 200 to 300 head of high grade cattle, with a proportionate number of horses, hogs, etc. Coming here a poor man (owing to business reverses) with less than $100 dollars in his pocket, he has in the short space of ten years, by dint of industry, economy and business tact, reached a position of comparative affluence. Locating upon his present homestead when there were but two others families in the township, he has lived to see himself surrounded by prosperous farms, his being one of the best in the township, and thus adding another proof to the many already adduced of what the fertile State of Kansas can do to assist those, who, in spite of many discouraging obstacles are willing and able to assist themselves, and know no such word as fail.
J. MANSON, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Coronado, was born in 1849, in the city of Perth, Scotland, and is by trade a stone cutter, and came to the United States in 1872, landing in New York, where he continued to reside for several years, working both in that State and the State of New Jersey, until he came West, in 1879. Mr. M. bought his present farm of 180 acres two years ago, but has rented it until the present year, when he purposes enlarging the residence, and working the farm himself. He has since his arrival here, been engaged working at his trade, chiefly in Butler County. He was married, May 10, 1879, to Miss Elizabeth McEwen, a native of Lanarkshire, Scotland, who has borne him one child, Jessie A., born September 26, 1880. Mr. M. is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
JOHN H. PIKE, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Afton, was born in Springfield, Ill., in 1844, and when twelve years of age, accompanied his parents to Putman County, Mo., where his father, Milton Pike, pursued his trade as a mason until 1860, when the family moved to Leavenworth this State, subsequently returning to Illinois and locating at Auburn. The subject of this sketch has always pursued the vocation of farmer, and after traveling for three years in New York and other Eastern States, came to Kansas in the fall of 1876, and located upon his present farm of 360 acres, 250 of which are under the plow, with a fair average yield of corn, wheat and oats. During the last few years Mr. Pike has given some attention to stock, having now about 75 head of cattle and 80 hogs. February 16, 1870 he married Miss Rachel Shipley, of Chatham, Ill., whose parents, natives of the north of Ireland, emigrated to that State at an early day from Pennsylvania. Their children are, Jane Bertha, born January 27, 1871; William, July 31, 1873; John Chesley, February 13, 1876; George, February 1, 1878; Charles, November 15, 1880, and Lily May, October 26, 1882. Mr. Pike has been Road Overseer, and treasurer of the School Board for several years, and is a member of the Clear Creek Baptist Church, and in February, 1883, was elected Treasurer of the township. As a farmer he is prosperous, and although y?? ?? a young man, has proven himself worthy of the confidence reposed in him by his constituents.
J. H. RHOADS, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Afton, was born in Macoupin County, Ill., in 1843, and remained in his native State, engaged in farming, until his removal to this, with the exception of the time spent in the army during the late war, he having enlisted July 17, 1861, in Company H, Thirtieth Regiment, Illinois Infantry, and participated in the engagements at Fort Donelson, Corinth, Britains Lane, was in several engagements during Gen. Grant's marching, etc. around Vicksburg, and participated in the siege of Vicksburg, afterwards was in the Atlanta campaign, and was mustered out at Chattanooga, August 27, 1864. January 17, 1866, he was married to Miss Sarah C. Haynes, of Somerville, Ill. They have five children living, viz: Eve, Edward H., Josie, Otto and Alonzo. Mr. Charles Rhoads, his father, was one of the early settlers of Illinois, removing thereto from Kentucky. The family is descended from the so-called Pennsylvania Dutch, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch having been unable to speak aught but his native tongue (German). Mr. R. came from Illinois to Kansas, in 1875, locating upon his present farm of 320 acres in that year. He has about 100 acres under cultivation, his grain yield being good. Since residing here Mr. R. has been Treasurer of the township, of which he was one of the organizers. He is at present Clerk of the School Board, of which he has always been a member. He is a deacon of the Clear Creek Baptist Church, and a member of Garfield Post, G. A. R., and in 1879, was elected Justice of the Peace, and retained the office for two years. He is, in fact, one of the leading men of Afton Township, and has ever taken a warm interest and prominent part in everything likely to prove conducive to the welfare of this adopted State.
N. RETZEL, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Wichita, is a native of Prussia, where he was born in 1837, and when a boy was apprenticed by his father to his own trade, that of a shoemaker, but he subsequently gave up the last, and learned the trade of musical instrument maker, which was more congenial to his tastes, and at which he worked in his native land until 1867, when he immigrated to the United States, and procuring work in New York, continued to reside there until 1876, when he went to Philadelphia to attend the exposition, and remained in that city about a year, when he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio. While there, he was taken ill, of a severe attack of scarlet fever, which left his sight and hearing so impaired as practically to unfit him for further work at his trade. Mr. R. came to Kansas in 1878, locating for a time in Butler County, and moving to his present location in 1879. He was married in Germany to Miss G. Kauffman. They have four children living - Albert (born in December, 1851, and now married and residing in Cincinnati), Louisa (born in May, 1854, married and residing in Wichita) and Charles and Catherine (twins, born in August, 1861, and residing at home). Mr. R. has 160 acres of good land, and all under fence, 125 being under plow, principally in corn. He is a member of the Lutheran Church at Wichita.
C. C. VAN GEISON, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Afton, was born near Rochester, N. Y., in 1834, and since boyhood has always been engaged in farming. He removed to Illinois in 1863, and in the fall of 1864, enlisted in Company H, Eleventh Illinois Infantry, and served under Gen. Canby until mustered out at Springfield, Ill., in July, 1865. In 1866, he returned to and remained a year in his native State, afterwards returning to Illinois, and after a three years' residence, moved to Van Buren County, Mich., and in the fall of 1875, came to Kansas, locating upon his present farm of 320 acres, 160 of which are under cultivation, with a fair grain yield. Mr. Van Geison was married, in 1856, to Miss Fanny Hazen, of Monroe County, N. Y. They have three children - Albert L. (now residing in Union Township, and who married Miss Annie White, of this county), Wheeler E. (residing at home), and Henry. Mr. Van Geison is Road Overseer of the township; deacon in the Clear Creek Baptist Church, and one of the most prosperous and successful farmers in Afton Township.
JOHN C. VAN GIESON, Justice of the Peace and farmer, Section 20, P. O. Afton, was born in 1828, in Paterson, N. J., his ancestors being natives of New Jersey, but moved to New York in 1828. He learned the trade of carpenter, but was principally engaged in farming in New York, until he removed to Illinois, where he worked at his trade until his removal to Kansas in 1876. Mr. Van Gieson married Miss Rachel Ann Hoover, of New York State who has borne him seven children - Mr. L. E. Van Gieson, Livonia, Arietta, who married Mr. Ed. Bever and died in 1880; Mrs. Roena I. Burdick, Mrs. Emma M. Chamberlain, Vincent C., Etta Evalena and Morris J. His farm, of 160 acres, contains ninety acres under cultivation, corn, wheat, and millett being the principal crops. During the War of the Rebellion he served for upwards of two years in the Eighth New York Cavalry. First day of August, 1863, at the Battle of Bull Run, Virginia, he received a wound which has rendered him lame for life. He is a member of the School Board of his District, and in 1877 was elected Justice of the Peace and has since continued to fill that office uninterruptedly.
W. M. WIKOFF, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Afton, was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1853, and is a son of H. B. Wickoff, of this county. His early life was spent upon a farm, and from 1878 to 1880, he was employed as a fireman on the Iowa Division of C., B. & Q. R. R. He came to Kansas in 1872, and owned and worked his farm for several years prior to his marriage, which occurred in March, 1880, to Miss Eliza Huffman, daughter of John Huffman, of Illinois township, this county. Mr. W. has two children - Othello Ira, born March 22, 1881, and Mary Gertrude, born February 2, 1883. Of his farm of 160 acres, 100 acres are under cultivation, yielding an average of fifteen bushels of wheat per acre; corn thirty and oats thirty-five bushels per acre. Mr. and Mrs. Wikoff are members of the United Presbyterian Church, and in February, 1882, he was elected Clerk of Afton township.
JAMES E. WHITELAW, farmer, and Clerk of Afton Township, Section 17, P. O. Afton, was born in 1849, in Eaton, Lorain Co., Ohio; his father, Edward Whitelaw, is a native of Scotland, having come to this country when a boy, and settling in Ohio, engaged in farming. The subject of this sketch removed with his parents to Van Buren County, Mich., in 1855, and upon reaching manhood also engaged in farming, and in the spring of 1877, came to Kansas, locating upon his present farm of 160 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation, his wheat yielding fifteen and corn thirty bushels per acre. November 25, 1875, he was married to Miss Melissa Smith, of Van Buren County, Mich. They have three children, viz; Glen, born November 8, 1877; Roy, born April 12, 1879, and Frank, born March 23, 1881. Mr. Whitelaw was elected Treasurer of Afton Township, in February, 1881, and Clerk of the township in February, 1883, and now holds the latter office.
W. DUCHESNEAU, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Coronado, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1848, his father, who is by birth a French Canadian, having located there in 1845, and who, upon the breaking out of the war, was one of the first in his neighborhood to respond to the call for men, and who subsequently fell a victim to disease and death in Andersonville. The subject of this sketch has always been a farmer, and came to Kansas in 1870, from Michigan, where he had resided for several years. Mr. D. located upon his present farm in 1875, and has 120 acres under cultivation, with an average grain yield of wheat 15, corn 35, and oats 30 bushels per acre. He has also a fine young orchard, chiefly peach and apple trees, but not yet bearing. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Minnie Schenck, of Ohio. They have no children living. Mr. and Mrs. Duchesneau are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ROBERT McCARTNEY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Wichita, was born in Orleans County, Vt., his father, William James McCartney, being one of the first men in that region to introduce there the fine wool sheep. Mr. McC. is descended from a race of shepherds, and in partnership with his brother, George, owns about 1,500 sheep, on their sheep ranch in Reno County. He has been in Kansas ten years, during the latter four years residing principally in this county. Of his 320 acres in this county, one-third is devoted to root crops, the rest to cereals. His sheep are all fine-wools, and average eleven to thirteen pounds per fleece. He has been very successful in his operations as a sheep raiser, and gives his whole attention to his business. Mr. McCartney was married, in 1864, to Miss Florence Burt, of Bennington, Vt.. His only daughter, Isabel, is now attending Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Mr. McC. is a member of the Knight Templars and of the A. O. U. W.
A. WILSON, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Coronado, was born in St. John, N. B., December 29, 1850. His ancestors, during the revolution, resided in the State of Connecticut, but taking the side of the King, upon the declaration of peace, removed into the neighboring Province of New Brunswick, and became what is known as United Empire Loyalists. During the great fire, several years ago, the house which had seen the birth of himself and father, was consumed. Mr. W. is by trade a ship carpenter, and in that capacity has several times made the circuit of the globe. He subsequently worked at his trade in Cramps' shipbuilding yards in Philadelphia, and elsewhere, and, October 17, 1881, he married Miss Linda A. Goss, daughter of Professor Goss, of Erie, Pa. They have one child, Annetta R., born May 8, 1882. Mr. W. has a nice farm of 160 acres, about one-third of which is under cultivation. He is a member of the K. of H., and K. of P.
J. W. BROWN, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Brighton, Kingman County, was born in 1830 in Clinton County, N. Y., and when a boy removed with his parents to Ohio, subsequently removing to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he in 1856, married Miss E. Wilma, who died in 1862, leaving two children, Lafayette W., born in 1857, and George in 1860. In March, 1864, he married his present consort, Miss Martha Hopkins, who has borne him three children - Howard, born in 1867, Robert, 1871, and Mary, 1873. Mr. B. came to Kansas in October, 1878, and located upon his present farm of 242 acres, ninety-five of which are under cultivation. He has been Treasurer of the township and also of the School Board, and has been a Justice of the Peace two terms.
O. CULVER, Justice of the Peace and farmer, Section 6, P. O. Brighton, Kinsman County, was born in Union County, Ohio, in 1834. He has been a farmer from boyhood, and in 1855 removed to Decatur County, Ohio, where he, September 17, 1865, married Miss Mary M. Shields, who has borne him six children - Emily, born October 11, 1866; Lora, March 16, 1868; Lucretia, November 17, 1870; Sylvanus, April 11, 1872; Ada, February 18, 1874; and Curtis, January 3, 1878. In August, 1863, Mr. Culver enlisted in Company L, Third Iowa Cavalry, and participated in the fight at Currant River, Hartsville, Saline River, and was the first man to cross the river at Little Rock, was also at the siege of Memphis, etc. and was mustered out September, 1864, with the rank of Sergeant. In May, 1876, he came to Kansas, locating upon his present farm of 320 acres, of which 180 are under cultivation. He has also raised considerable stock. Has been a member of the School Board. Voted at the first election in the township, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M. And I. O. O. F.
WILLIAM M. PARHAM, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Brighton, was born in the city of Philadelphia, in 1846, and when a boy went with his parents to Iowa, where his father J. C. Parham, engaged in farming, and subsequently removed to Muscatine, where he died June 8, 1878. The subject of this sketch learned the trade of horse collar maker and house painter, and removed to Kansas in the spring of 1878, locating upon his present farm. January 1, 1878, he married Miss Annie M. Eckel, of Schuylkill County, Pa., who has borne him four children, viz.: Harry C., born October 20, 1867; Edgar L., February 25, 1870; Charles F., June 4, 1873, and Frank E., August 7, 1875. Mr. Parham's farm of 160 acres, contains sixty acres in cultivation. His outbuildings are very large and commodious. He has every facility for the care of stock, in which he largely deals. Having excellent springs upon the premises. Has been clerk of the School Board of his district for the past five years, and is a member of the A. O. U. W., and for three years was Postmaster of Helen office.
MOSES A. SWIFT, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Brighton, was born in 1840, in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and upon arriving at years of maturity was engaged in business as a butcher until August 10, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Sixth United States Cavalry, served with credit and distinction, being in all the engagements of his regiment and was mustered out August 10, 1864. He thereupon returned to Ohio and his former business until 1867, when he went to Montana and engaging for a year in mining, finally locating in Tremont County, Iowa, engaging in farming, and removed to Kansas in 1876, and pre-empting his present farm of 160 acres, sixty-five of which are under cultivation. May 21, 1873, he was married to Miss Marcia J. Everts, a native of Oswego County, N. Y., who died April 9, 1882, leaving three children - Riley C., Ray R. and Charles H. Mr. Swift is one of the pioneer settlers of the township, and has been Treasurer of the township for the last three terms.
GILMAN VESEY, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Brighton, was born in Shipton Province of Quebec, in 1828, and subsequently removed to Lowell, Mass., where he learned the trade of blacksmith, and in 1850, removed to Moultrie County, Ill., from where he went to Peoria, Ill. August 24, 1850, he married Miss F. M. Stone, a native of New Hampshire. There are four surviving children, viz.: Hartwell S., born October 1, 1851; Charles N., born August 24, 1854; William E., born November 22, 1856; and Emma Jane, born March 1, 1872. Mr. Vesey is the oldest settler in the township, coming in December, 1876, and in addition to agriculture has directed his attention to sheep raising, having now about 600 head. He has a beautiful orchard of over 500 trees. In March, 1865, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and serving with distinction, was mustered out in February, 1866, at Selma, Mo. Since his residence here he has filled the office of Justice of the Peace two years, and has been a member of the School Board of his district, No. 114.