|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The village of Marshall is situated in Grand River Township, on the Ninnescah River. It is a busy village, with a flouring-mill, two stores, two blacksmith shops, two feed-stables, a broom-factory, boarding-house and restaurant. Messrs. Jones and Joslyn are the principal proprietors. The surrounding country is settling up with marvelous rapidity, and Marshall is growing very fast toward the proportions of a town.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GRAND RIVER TOWNSHIP.
J. A. ANDERSON, miller. The Marshall Flour Mill, located upon the east bank of the North Ninnescah River, was built in 1879, by Harp, Fager & Co., and then contained but two run of stone. In 1881 Mr. Fager sold his interest in the mill to Mr. J. A. Anderson, who put in a third "run" of stone, a purifier, and made general and requisite improvements. The motive power is supplied by two large turbine wheels, and the capacity of the mill is forty barrels of flour and 300 bushels of meal per day. Building and machinery are valued at $4,000. Mr. Anderson is a native of the District of Columbia, and was in 1829, and for upwards of thirty years was engaged in railroad contracting and building, and prior to his removal to this State, had resided for fifteen years in the northern, peninsula of Michigan. He located upon a farm of 160 acres, on Section 28, this township, in May, 1877. Mr. Anderson has a family of seven children, his eldest son, John R., who is also Constable of the township, being associated with him in the milling business, the firm being known as Harp, Anderson & Co. Mr. Anderson held the office of Trustee of this township in 1880, and has also been a member of the School Board. He was Justice of the Peace for two years, and was re-elected, but not desiring to continue longer in the office, declined to qualify. The Marshall Flour Mill does a large and increasing business, as the next nearest mill is at Wichita, twenty-four miles distant.
D. ASENDORF, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Marshall, was born in the Province of Hanover, Germany, in 1854, and, until his removal to this country, in 1876, was engaged upon his father's farm. This is his first location in the State. He now has 200 acres of improved land, ninety acres being in corn and wheat, and for newly broken land has hitherto yielded well, his wheat in 1882 turning out twenty-two bushels per acre. He has a good frame barn and residence, the latter a neat two-story, being built in 1882, at a cost of $500, and, with their contents, are insured. March 2, 1882, Mr. Asendorf was married to Miss Doretta Semsrott, also a Hanoverian, in which province her father, Henry Semsrott, still resides, engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. A. have one child, Annie, born February 2, 1883. They are members of the Lutheran Church.
A. A. BARLOW, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Marshall, was born in Catskill, Greene Co., N. Y., in 1834, and his father's death occurring in 1838, he was brought up and educated by his grandfather, in Herkimer County. Upon attaining his majority, he went to Madison, Wis., where he, for a time, found employment at house painting, and in 1859 removed to Brookfield, Mo., where he was engaged, first as brakeman, and subsequently as conductor, on the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad. Upon the breaking out of the war, he responded to the call for ninety days' men, and was in Company E, of what was called the Railroad Brigade, and was on detached service as part of the army escort for the recruits who were being constantly forwarded to St. Louis. Sickness intervening, he was laid up for three months, and upon recovery returned to his duties on the railroad until 1867, when he came to Kansas, his first location being in Doniphan County, where he engaged in the business of burning lime by patent process, shipping to St. Joe, Mo. In the spring of 1871 he removed to Sedgwick County, and after a residence of five years in Wichita, removed to his present farm of 160 acres, and on which he has an average grain yield, of corn 35 to 40, and wheat 25 bushels per acre. Mr. B. Was married in 1857, to Miss Lydia Hills, a native of New York State, who died in 1879, leaving five children - William E., born in 1859; Frank C.. 1863; Lydia May, 1868; Effie, 1870; and Adelbert A., in 1876. July 21, 1881, he married his present consort, Miss Frances P. Franklin, a native of Putnam County, Mo., but then a resident of this county. Della M., born August 5, 1882, is the only issue of this marriage. Mr. Barlow is one of the pioneer settlers of this region, and has always taken a deep interest in the welfare of his adopted county and State. He has been Clerk of this township from the second year of its organization until February, 1883, when he was elected to the Trusteeship, and is also one of the Directors of the School Board of his district.
S. S. CASAD, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Birch, was born in 1825, in St. Clair County, Ill., his father, Dr. A. Casad, having settled there in 1881, from Ohio, but was originally from New Jersey. Mr. Casad's early life was spent in farming, and prior to the breaking out of the late war he, with his brother Thomas, was engaged in operating a flour mill in Summerfield, Ill. July 8, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Second Illinois Cavalry, and participated in the engagements at Vicksburg, under Gen. Grant, and afterwards his regiment was attached to the Department of the Gulf, under command of Gen. Banks. He participated in the Red River expedition, and was constantly on active service until mustered out at Baton Rouge, August 12, 1864, with the rank of Sergeant. He returned to Illinois and removed from there to Kansas, March 7, 1865, locating upon a farm in Johnson County, where he remained ten years, when he sold his farm and removed to Lawrence, where he remained until the spring of 1876, when he located upon his present farm in this township. Mr. Casad was married in 1847, to Miss S. C. Dew, also a native of St. Clair County, and daughter of the Rev. John Dew, of Botetourt County, Va. They have had eight children, six of whom now survive, viz.; Preble, born in 1850; Mrs. Mary Colton, of Butler County, born 1853; Mrs. Lucy Wishart, of Humboldt, born 1856; Samuel S., born 1861; Ada, born 1865; and Harry Lincoln, born in 1869. Mr. C.'s farm consists of 800 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation, with an average grain yield of thirty bushels of corn and eighteen of wheat per acre. His stock interest are represented by about sixty to seventy-five head of high grade native cattle, and it is his intention to increase their number, with hogs and other stock in proportion. His residence ( a substantial two-story frame) and his commodious barns are insured, with their contents. Mr. Casad is one of the pioneer settlers of this region. He was one of the Judges of the first election held in the township, was the first Trustee elected in the township, and returned to the same office in the succeeding year. He is a member of the township, and returned to the same office in the succeeding year. He is a member of Garfield Post, No. 25, G. A. R., and of the A., F. & A. M., and is one of the representative men of Grand River Township.
R. H. CHAMBERLIN, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Marshall, was born in Union County, Pa., in 1834. His early life was spent upon his father's farm, and at the age of twenty-one he went into business as general merchant, in Louisburg, Pa., continuing therein until the spring of 1865, when he sold out and entered the employ of Messrs. Waterman and Beaver, proprietors of the Pennsylvania Iron Works, at Danville, Pa., as receiving clerk in their general supply department. In May, 1867, he went to Montana as superintendent of a mining company, and upon the failure of the company returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1868 bought a farm in Virginia, upon which he settled for a time, when he sold it to advantage and, returning to his native State, continued farming there until his departure for Kansas in the spring of 1878. His first location was upon the farm he at present owns, which contains 170 acres, eighty of which are under cultivation, with an average corn yield of forty, wheat, twenty bushels, and millet, two and a half tons per acre. His residence, which is a neat frame one, and his barns, which are large and substantial, are insured. Mr. Chamberlin was married in 1874, to Miss Harriet R. Van Valzah, of Union County, Pa. They have but one child, John, who was born May 2, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlin, who were among the early settlers of this region, assisted in organizing the Methodist Episcopal Church Society here in the spring of 1879, and although the original membership has greatly decreased, services are still held semi-monthly in the Morton Center and Marshall schoolhouses, by the clergyman, who is stationed at Waterloo. Mr. Chamberlin is one of the prominent men of the township and has been Treasurer of the School Board of his district, and is now Treasurer of Grand River Township.
J. W. FOLLETT, Justice of the Peace, farmer, Section 3, and Postmaster, Birch, was born in Lake County, Ohio, in 1824, and when twenty-one years of age, removed to Steuben County, Ind., and locating in the town of Fremont, engaged in business, as general merchant, in which he continued until his departure for Kansas in 1878. Mr. Follett was married in 1845, to Miss Angeline Trask, of Madison, Ohio. They have four children, viz.: Ethe, who is now Mrs. Bricker; Alma, now Mrs. Melendy; Nellie, now Mrs. Greenemyer, and all of whom are now residing in Indiana, and Ralph W., who is now residing with his parents. Upon coming to Kansas, Mr. F. resided for a short time in Wichita, prior to his removal to his present home. His farm, in this county, consists of eighty acres, which is all under cultivation and surrounded by trees of his own planting; a fine orchard of 600 peach and 100 other fruits; a good frame residence, barn, etc. In addition to which he possesses a well-improved farm of 160 acres in Reno County. Mr. Follett was appointed Postmaster of Birch office in 1879, and was elected Justice of the Peace in February, 1882. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., and, although not as large as many others, his farm is one of the finest and best improved in this part of the county.
JOHN N. GADER, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Marshall, was born in Belgium in 1839, and came to this country in 1871, and located in Wyoming County, N. Y., removing in the following year to Defiance, Ohio, where he remained four years, and then spent two years in Paulding County, same State, moving thence to Kansas in 1878, locating first in Afton, and the following year removed to his present farm, of 160 acres, seventy of which are under cultivation, corn being his present crop, much of which is fed to stock. He was married July 17, 1882, to Miss Mary Scerener, a native of Bavaria, and who was then a resident of Wichita. In addition to his farm property, he is the owner of two dwelling-houses and building lots in the town of Marshall, where his brother Frank, who was born in 1856, and came to the United Stated in 1873, built the first house in the town. Frank, who is married, is now in Colorado. The Messrs. Gader are members of the Catholic Church.
HICKSON BROS, farmers, Section 29, P. O. Marshall, are natives of Boone County, Ind. and are named respectively William O., Joseph H., John R., and Robert A., and have always been engaged in farming, and came to Kansas in November, 1881, accompanied by their sisters Miss Sarah and Miss Maggie, and located upon a farm of 160 acres, eighty of which are under cultivation. There is also an orchard of 800 peach and 100 other trees. Residence and outbuildings insured. Miss Maggie Hickson was one of the organizers of the Baptist Church Society.
E. W. JOSLYN, Postmaster, was born in 1852, in Herkimer County, N. Y. His father Mr. Daniel W. Joslyn, who was Lockmaster at Frankfort, dying when the subject of this sketch was but four years of age, and his mother's decease occurring about eight years afterward, he was brought up and educated at Oneida, Madison Co. N. Y. by a maternal aunt. In 1870, he went to Wisconsin and located in Waupaca County, engaged in farming for two years, when he went to Iowa, where he remained for eighteen months and returning to Wisconsin, remained there until December, 1877, when he came to Kansas, and January 1, 1878, opened a grocery store in the village of Marshall which he conducted for a year when he associated with him a partner, Mr. L. F. Jones, and continued business under the firm name of Jones & Joslyn until May, 1881, when he disposed of his interest to his partner with whom he continued to remain in a clerical capacity until November, 1882, when he opened a drug store which he still conducts with an assorted stock value at $1,200 to $1,500. Building and stock are insured. He is the owner of a farm of 160 acres, partly improved, located in Kingman County. November 10, 1880, Mr. Joslyn was married to Miss Della King, of Waupaca County, Wis., he returning there for that purpose. On January 22, 1878, he was appointed Postmaster of Marshall, he is at present Clerk of the township and also of the School Board of his District and is secretary and treasurer of the Marshall Cemetery Association.
ROBERT A. SAUNDERS, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Marshall, was born in Richmond, Va. in 1823 and is of Scotch and English descent, although both his parents were natives of Virginia. In early life he learned the trade of a plasterer; and while yet a young man went into business as a merchant in his native State, and in three years sold out and removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he engaged in stock raising, making a specialty of horses and mules for several years, when he removed to Gentry County, where he again turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, continuing therein until his departure for this State in February, 1876. His farm of 160 acres, situated upon the north side of Medicine Lodge Road, has eighty acres under cultivation, his corn yielding forty and wheat twenty-five bushels per acre. He was married in 1855 to Miss Laura White, of Whitesville, Andrew Co., Mo. and has had ten children, only six of whom survive, viz: - Mary E. born in 1860, and now Mrs. W. T. Rouse of Medicine Lodge; Edmond, born 1861, John I., 1862, Ella, 1864, Clara, 1869, and Odie in 1876. While in Missouri Mr. Saunders served in the State Militia from the beginning to the close of the war. He is one of the pioneer settlers of this township if not the pioneer owing to the removal of others, and is a member of the Christian Church, of the A., F. & A. M. and was the first Justice of the Peace elected in the Township, serving two terms in succession.
T. H. SHANNON, M. D., is a native of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where he was born in 1835. His parents were natives of that State, and his father, Mr. Enos Shannon, one of the representative farmers of the county. In 1860, his parents removed to Fulton County, Ill., in the select school of which county the Doctor received his elementary education. He subsequently studied medicine under Drs. Steele and Towler, of Astoria, Ill., and in 1856 entered the Iowa University of Medicine at Keokuk, from which he graduated in 1859, with the degree of M. D., and at once commenced the practice of his profession in Astoria, Ill., continuing therein (with the exception of a year spent in Adams County, and the time spent in the army) until his removal to Kansas in 1866. Dr. Shannon entered the army as a private in Company F, Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in September, 1864, and participated in the engagements at Franklin and Nashville, in addition to several skirmishes, and was mustered out at Nashville in June, 1865. The doctor was married, in 1857, to Miss Sarah M. Gallagher, of Illinois, and has three children, viz.: Leonidas and Velpean and one daughter, Gertrude, who is now being educated in Burlington, Coffey County. Dr. Shannon's first location in this State was in Le Roy, Coffey County, where he continued to practice until 1876, a period of ten years, when he removed to Wichita, and after a residence of one year there removed to a claim which he had purchased in this township, but finding that his rapidly increasing practice required his whole attention, he, in September, 1882, removed to the village of Marshall. His farm which contains 160 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation, and situated in Sections 8 and 17, this township, is well watered by the North Ninnescah River and Rock Creek, and contains two dwelling houses, barns, etc., and since his removal therefrom has been in charge of his two sons. The doctor is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and in 1878 was appointed a Justice of the Peace by Gov. Anthony. He was the first physician practicing in Grand River Township, and has a very large and increasing practice, there being but two other physicians within a radius of eighteen or twenty miles.
S. SPIGER, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Marshall, was born September 16, 1821, in Alleghany County, Md. His parents who were of German descent having been born in Virginia. He removed to Meigs County, Ohio when twenty-three years of age, and resided there, engaged in farming, for a period of twenty years, when he removed to Licking County, Ohio, and in the summer of 1877, came to Kansas, locating upon his present farm of 160 acres, thirty of which are under cultivation, corn and wheat being his principal crops. Mr. Spiger was married, in 1847, to Miss Nancy Ann Topping. They have had twelve children, eight of whom, seven sons and one daughter, survive, four being married and residing in Ohio, the younger members residing at home. Mr. S. enlisted, in 1863, in the Ohio Independent Battery of artillery, and after a service of six months was taken sick and ordered home, where he was laid up with a severe illness, which ultimately incapacitated him for further service in the field. Mr. Spiger's farm is situated upon the south side of the Medicine Lodge highway, and his residence is one of the best in the township.
JOHN E. WILLIAMS, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Marshall, was born in Wayne County, Ohio in 1822, and by his father's family, is of Dutch, and by his mother's of Scotch descent. His early life was spent upon a farm and in 1852, he removed to Indiana, where he remained a short time, and then went to Iowa, where he sojourned three years; here located in Gentry County, Mo., in 1857, and where he in the summer of 1861, joined the State Militia in which he remained, often upon active service, until the expiration of the war. Mr. Williams was married December 30, 1847, to Miss Margaret Howard, a native of Ohio, and daughter of John and Abilgail Howard. Mr. and Mrs. Williams, have had seven children, only three of whom now survive - Howard R., born December 18, 1850; Jane, born June 1, 1855, and now the wife of Mr. William H. Rose, of this county, and Samuel H., born March 19, 1858. Both his sons are married and reside upon farms in this county. Mr. W. came to Kansas in the fall of 1876, and remained in Wichita, until the spring, when he removed on to his present farm of 160 acres, 125 of which are under cultivation, corn and wheat being the principal crops, and yielding an average, the former of forty and the latter twenty bushels to the acre. His farm is in an advance state of cultivation and contains a fine orchard of assorted fruit trees, and a grove of over 3,000 walnuts, planted by himself, the seeds having been brought by Mrs. Williams from Medicine Lodge, seventy-five miles distant. While in Missouri, from 1875, until his departure for Kansas, Mr. Williams dealt extensively in stock raising, but since his residence here has directed his attention principally to agricultural pursuits. When he first located here, there were but two other families in the township, and they have since removed to other States, thus leaving Mr. Williams and family the oldest settlers in the township. In 1877, he drew up a petition for the organization of the Grand River Township, it then being included in the township of Garden Plain, and securing the requisite number of signatures, upon its being laid before the Board of County Commissioners, at Wichita, Grand River Township was forthwith organized and Mr. W. was appointed to the office of Treasurer in the first year of its existence, but has since declined to assume the cares of public office, although he has always been one of the officers of the election in his district. Mr. Williams is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
HIRAM WITTEN, merchant, Marshall, is a native of Tazewell County, Va., where he was born in 1836, and is a son of Hiram and Jane Witten, who, also were natives of that State. His boyhood days, until the age of fifteen years, were spent upon a farm, when he entered the employ of Mr. J. B. Hundley, of Gentry County, Mo., to which State he, with his mother and the other surviving members of the family had removed in 1845; Mr. W. remained behind the counter but a year, when he proceeded to learn the trade of a cabinet-maker, at which he continued to work until twenty-two years of age, when he was married to Miss Hannah Hunt (daughter of Mr. Jabez Hunt, of Gentry County,) May 6, 1858, who has borne him seven children, but six of whom now survive - Louisa Imogine, who was born October, 9, 1860; Ella Eudora, October 18, 1862; Marinda Jane, May 5, 1864; Lizzie W., July 5, 1866; Anna L., January 1, 1871, and Gracie G., October 16, 1878. Shortly after his marriage, Mr. Witten located upon a farm in Gentry County, Mo., where he resided until 1869, when he engaged in business as general merchant, in Union Grove, in the above named county. During the War of the Rebellion, Mr. W. was a member of the State Militia of Missouri and was often out upon active service. In 1877, he disposed of his business interests, real estate and other property, and retaining only his stock in trade and household goods, removed to Gentryville, same State, where he continued in business until his removal to this State, in September, 1878. His first location being two miles west of the present town of Marshall, and upon the Medicine Lodge road, in which he continued until the spring of 1880, when finding the tide of settlement bearing towards the east, he removed his store and residence to their present location, upon Bridge street, Marshall, and has since continued in business there. His well assorted stock of general merchandise is valued at upwards of $5,000, whilst store and residence, valued at $1,000, are with contents, insured for about one third. His was the first dry goods store opened in the town, June 20, 1878. In addition to his business interest, he owns six building lots in Marshall, a farm of sixty acres, in Section 32, this township, thirty-five acres being under cultivation, and also contains 200 peach trees. Since his residence in this township, he has been Clerk of the School Board of his district, and is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M.
JOHN D. WOLF, Justice of the Peace, was born in 1855; his parents were natives of Union County, Pa., where he was educated, and afterward learned the trade of blacksmith. In 1878, he went to Kansas, and in 1882, returned and brought his parents, brothers and sisters. His father, Mr. Samuel Wolf, located in Morton township, where he engaged in farming. Mr. J. D. had built a shop in Marshall, Kan. In the fall of 1882, he disposed of his shop, tools, etc., and entered the employ of L. F. Jones, merchant, as clerk. In 1879, Mr. Wolf married Miss Ellie Brown, daughter of Mr. William Brown, of this township. They have two children - Samuel Williams, born in 1880, and Frederick Cecil, born in 1882. Mr. Wolf has held the office of Constable of the township, and has been Clerk of the School Board of his district. He owns a farm of eighty acres in Morton Township, and five lots and two houses in Marshall. He is a member of the German Reformed Church, and in February, 1883, was elected Justice of the Peace.