|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SANDERS - SMYTH).
J. M. SANDERS, carpenter, born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1843, son of John Sanders and Elizabeth (Con) Sanders. He married in 1878, Miss Vulgamon, and has two children - Scott and Harry. Came to Kansas in 1869, located at Ottawa, engaged in the carpenter business. In 1872 located on a farm southwest of Wichita, engaged in farming for four years, then located in Wichita, and since that time has been engaged in the carpenter business. Was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1864, in Indiana, One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Regiment Volunteers, Company I. Was mustered out in the same year. Was one year engaged under Col. Woolcott division engineer of the Texas Pacific R. R., New Mexico Division.
JOHN K. SAWYER, contractor and bridge builder, was born in Somerset County, Me. December 2, 1832. In 1851 he emigrated from his native State and went to California where he remained until 1857, engaged in mining operations and carpenter work. He then returned to Maine, and in the spring of 1858, again turned his steps toward the West, this time locating in Peru, Ill., where he resided until April, 1864; he next removed to Montana and remained in that Territory until the fall of 1868, then was at Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory until 1869, when he came to Kansas. His first location in this State was Lawrence, removing from that place after a residence of five months to Marysville, Marshall County, where he lived until December, 1870, when he located in Wichita. After locating in this city, he was engaged in contracting and building until April 1881, commencing his bridge building in 1876. He was associated with Wm. A. Reese until the fall of 1882, but is now without a partner. Among the buildings built by Mr. S. may be mentioned the Eagle Block, W. C. Woodman's store building, Field building, Turner's Opera House, M. M. Murdock's dwelling house, Smith & Keeting and Houch Bros. warehouses. Mr. S. was married at Brooklyn, Hancock Co., Me., December 5, 1857, to Emma B. Herrick, a native of that place and has two children - Fannie L. and Charles H., he is a member of the Baptist Church and of the K. of H. and A. F. & A. M.
M. A. SAYLES, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1840; son of Asa and Amy Sayles. He was married in 1874 to Miss Helen E. Cook, daughter of Andrew J. and Ann Cook. They have two children - Asa A. and Mary B. Mr. Sayles came to Kansas from Illinois in 1866, located at Cottonwood Falls, Chase Co., and remained two years engaged in farming. In 1868 he removed to Wichita, and engaged in farming and stockraising in Sedgwick and Reno counties until 1875, when he engaged as a salesman in farm implements. In 1876 he became a partner in the firm of A. J. Cook & Co. In 1880 purchased the entire business. His business has increased 150 per cent since. He was chairman of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Amy Sayles, mother of M. A. and Olive Sayles, was born in Canada in 1819, daughter of Bradford and Mary (Nelson) Ames, was married in 1835 to Asa B. Sayles; her husband died in 1844. In 1866 she came to Kansas with her children; after two years spent at Cottonwood Falls she came to Wichita and was the tenth family located in that city.
FRED SCHATTNER came to Kansas in the spring of 1864. His first location was at Leavenworth, where he was employed in mercantile houses as a clerk for two years. He went from Leavenworth to St. Louis, remaining in the latter city four years, then returned to Leavenworth, and from there came to Wichita, July 28, 1870. After locating in Wichita he engaged in sign painting, which he continued until he was appointed County Clerk, in the latter part of the same year, serving in that position in 1871 to 1873, and to the spring of 1874, since which time he has served as City Clerk. Mr. S. is an artist and musician. He organized the first band in the Southwest, of which he has been the leader from the start, and was also the leader of the first orchestra. He was born in Strasburg (then a province of France), January 25, 1844, and immigrated to America with his parents in 1851, locating at Lexington, Ky., which remained his home until 1858. His father then moved with his family to Kansas City where Fred remained until he went to Leavenworth. He was married in Wichita, July 30, 1873, to Mary Ann (Green) Jackson, of Louisville, Ky. They have an adopted daughter, Mona Lisa.
L. G. SCHEETZ, was born in Bedminster Township, Bucks Co., Pa., July 24, 1844, and lived in his native county until 1867, then went to Philadelphia, clerked one year in a wholesale and retail grocery store; then went to Applebachsville, a small village in Bucks County, clerked there until April 1, 1869. He then immigrated to the West, not knowing where he would locate. Stopped at Chicago a few days, then went to Sterling, Ill., not liking it there he left for Hannibal, Mo.; stopped there and clerked until June, 1870. Then immigrated to Kansas, located at Emporia and engaged in mercantile business at that place for one year; he then removed to El Dorado, Kan., where he engaged in the wholesale liquor, flour and feed business at that place until 1874, when he formed a co-partnership with E. L. Wheeler and built the water-mill on Chisholm Creek, Wichita, Sedgwick Co., Kan., and after running it a year engaged in the grocery business, which he continued until 1881. He has now retired from active business and resides in Wichita, where he is engaged in looking after his property interests. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, K. of H., and the order of American Mechanics.
JOHN SCHOTT, machinist by occupation, was born in Germany in 1822, and is a son of John Schott and Anna Catherine Roden Scott. Came to the United States in 1845 and located at Baltimore, Md. He married, in 1844, Miss Anna Descher, who was born in 1821, and has four children - John Frederick, Louis Emanuel, Henry and John William. From 1847 to 1852 he was employed in the United States Gun Factory. At Baltimore was engaged in the manufacture of arms for Mexican service. During the Mexican War from 1852 to 1857 he was engaged in the locomotive works in Baltimore. In 1857 he came to Kansas, located at Lawrence and engaged in freighting for six years and then commenced the restaurant business. Remained at Lawrence until 1879, then removed to Wichita and commenced the fruit and confectionery business located on the south side of Douglas avenue, between Main and Water streets. Is a member of Lawrence Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F., also of Encampment, No. 4, A. F. P. W.
HENRY SCHWEITER, farmer, Sections 27 and 28, P. O. Wichita, born in Switzerland, in 1844, - son of John Schweiter and Elizabeth Raumen - married in 1873, Miss Caroline Gardner, and has four children - Henry, John, Willie and Otto. Came to Topeka, Kansas, in 1868; remained two years. In 1870 moved to Wichita, and for six years engaged with Mr. Davidson in contracting and lumber business. In 1874 engaged in the ice business which business he still continues, a partner of the Wichita Ice Company. The company own a building which stores 3,500 tons of ice. In 1876, moved on his farm, two miles southeast of Wichita, in Sections 27 and 28, where he now resides. Owns 400 acres of land. Is a member of the School Board and Clerk of District No. 7. Is a member of Wichita Lodge No. 93, I. O. O. F.
F. M. SCOTT, baker, born in Kentucky, in 1862, son of Minor Scott and Mary (Luchardt) Scott, came to Kansas in 1872, located at Wichita, in 1878; commenced an apprenticeship in the bakery business in the same year; bought an established business in 1882; business is located at No. 40 Main street; the firm of Scott & Pentington.
WILLIAM P. SHIELDS, book-keeper, was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1848, son of William and Mary (McNary) Shields. He was married, in 1876, to Ella Glenn Ross, daughter of A. A. and Lavina Glenn. They have one child, Florence Shields. Mr. S, came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Wichita and engaged in book-keeping for Smith & Keating, for two years, and with the Rogers Coal Company, in 1882. Engaged in merchandising in 1881. In December, 1882, he engaged with F. G. Smyth & Son's farm implement house. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wichita Lodge No. 99.
L. D. SKINNER, was born near Martinsburg, Keokuk County, Iowa, March 12, 1856. When he was but fourteen years of age, he went to Creston, and in the spring of 1873, entered the bank of S. H. Mallory & Co., remaining with them until January 1, 1876. From 1876 until December 1, 1880, he was in the Bank of Creston, serving also, during a part of this time as Deputy Treasurer, of Union County. He came to Wichita, from Creston, on leaving the bank. He was married in Denver, Col., April 25, 1881, to Maggie Butler, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio.
WILLIAM SKINNER, harness maker, born in New Hampshire in 1842, is the son of Stephen and Louisa (Dodge) Skinner. He married in 1864, Miss Ada Shope; has one child, Stephen Skinner. Came to Kansas in 1876, and located at Wichita, engaged in farming for the first three years. Still owns his farm, which he rents; but commenced work at his trade of harness making, in 1879, and has been engaged at it from that time to the present. Is a member of the Wichita Lodge, No. 93, I. O. O. F.
H. C. SMELTZER was born near Gallipolis, Ohio, September 25, 1847, and resided in his native town until 1866, when he removed to Tippecanoe County, Ind. In 1880 he removed from the latter place to Kansas, settling in Wichita in October of that year, where he was connected with the City Mills as second miller. In February, 1882, he purchased an interest in the Diamond Mills, taking charge of the establishment the following month. He now owns a one-third interest in the mill. Mr. S. was married at Lafayette, Ind., July, 1879, to Rebecca Mitchell, a native of Colfax, Ind.
ABRAM SMITH, contractor and builder, is a native of Binghamton, Broome County, N. Y., where he was born July 12, 1842, and resided until he was about three years of age. His parents then removed to Castleton, N. Y., where he lived until 1866, then in Syracuse until May, 1869, and in Quincy, Ill., from that time until February, 1870, when he started for Kansas, February 14, 1870. He located on a homestead in Butler County, working at his trade in Humboldt, Allen County, for six months. In March, 1872, he moved to Wichita, and after contracting for the construction of the house next north of the Presbyterian church, he worked as a journeyman carpenter until the fall of 1874, and has since that time been a contractor and builder. Mr. Smith enlisted in Company I, Ninety-first New York Volunteer Infantry, September 15, 1861, serving in that regiment until April 2, 1864, when he was discharged on account of disability caused by sickness contracted in the army. He re-enlisted in August, 1864, in Company D, Tenth New York Volunteer Infantry, Third Brigade, Second Division, Second Army Corps, and was finally mustered out June 8, 1865. He was married November 16, 1866, at Schenectady, N. Y., to Cornelia P. Fairchild, a native of Hornelisville, N. Y. They have three children - Frank H., Clarence A., and an infant daughter, Hazel C. Mr. S. is a member of the G. A. R., of Garfield Post, No. 25, and scribe in Wichita Encampment, No. 29. The buildings which he has constructed in Wichita are too numerous to mention in detail, but they comprise nearly all the schoolhouses, the store buildings and residences of R. E. Guthrie, Sr. and Jr., residences for Messrs. Mann, Bassant, Sluss, Innes, Dyer, Wall, Woodman (W. T. and W. C.), Allen, Brown, Pollock, Billings, Woodcock, VanNess, Druley, Tucker, Murdock, Roe, and many other residences and store additions.
CHARLES WESLEY SMITH, son of Charles H. and Dorothy (VanBuren) Smith, came to Wichita in September, 1876, and has been engaged in carpenter work in the city, and on the railroad, since that time. He was born in Ghent, Columbia Co., N. Y., April 24, 1845, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas, having served in Company I, Ninety-first New York Volunteer Infantry, from September, 1864, until June, 1865, when he received his discharge and returned to New York, in which State he was married, May, 1866, at Schodack, to Susie Curtis, a native of that place. They have three children - Stephen D., Claude E., and James Henry.
D. W. SMITH, dentist, was born in New York, in 1833, son of Chester and Amanda (Howe) Smith. He was married in 1859, to Miss Emily Shawe, daughter of Peter Shawe. They have two children, Artie M. Smith and Ralph W. Smith. He was educated in dentistry in Ohio, in 1862. Commenced practice in 1864, and has been engaged in his profession since that time. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Wichita. He opened an office on Douglas avenue, in the Eagle Building. Was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1863, in the One Hundred and First Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, Company A; was in the battle of Perrysville, Ky. He was mustered out in 1864. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and the A. O. U. W.
HENRY SMITH, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Wichita, was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1837. Son of Joshua Smith and Elizabeth (Chambers) Smith. Married in 1871 Miss Hattie A. Royal. They had one child, Arthur R. Smith. His wife died in 1874, and he married again in 1875 Miss Sarah E. Sherman. Has three children by the last marriage, Hattie M., Grace L. and John H. Smith. Came to Kansas in 1854 and located at Lawrence. Engaged in freighting for two years, then moved to Wabaunsee County and engaged in farming. In 1869 moved to Sedgwick County. Was a member of a volunteer company at Lawrence in 1855-56, organized to protect the city during the John Brown troubles.
JOSHUA and F. T. SMITH, farmers, P. O. Wichita. Joshua Smith was born in England in 1806. Son of John Smith and Mary (Wright) Smith. Married in 1880 Miss Elizabeth Chambers, and has three children, Rebecca, John and Henry. His wife died in 1841 and he married again in 1843 Miss Mary Cook, and they have four children, William, May M., Emma and Frederick T. Came to Kansas in 1854 and located at Lawrence. Remained two years and then went to Wabaunsee County. Engaged in farming for eight years. In 1864 he came to Wichita, Sedgwick County and in 1867 located on Section 22, southeast quarter, one and one-half miles southeast of Wichita, which property he now owns and is engaged in farming and gardening. Frederick T. Smith was born in Lawrence, Kas., in 1854, son of Joshua and Mary Smith, was the second child born in Lawrence. Married in 1880 Elizabeth Royal and has one child, Jesse S. Came to Kansas in 1871 and engaged in farming. Owns the west half of southeast quarter of Section 22, one and one-half miles southeast of Wichita.
F. G. SMYTH & SONS, dealers in agricultural implements. F. G. Smyth was born on the sea in 1827. Son of James and Abigail Deorsay Smyth. He was married in 1850 to Miss Rebecca Box, daughter of William R. and Rebecca Meredith Box. They have five children, William R. B., James F., Frederick G., Charles H. and Robert A. Mr. Smyth came to Kansas in 1876, located at Wichita, and engaged in agricultural implement business, locating on lots A and B, Douglas and Lawrence avenues. The brick building occupied by the firm is 50 x 120 feet, and thirty-five feet high. Business increased from its establishment from $15,000 the first year to $120,000 in 1882. He was master of a vessel on salt water for four years, and for eight years followed the lakes. He was mate during that time. Came from Madison, Wis., to Kansas. He is a member of Wichita City Council.
F. G. SMYTH, JR., was born in Columbia County, Wis., in 1856. Son of F. G. and Rebecca Smyth. Came to Kansas in 1876 and located at Wichita, and engaged in the firm of F. G. Smyth & Sons. Charles H. Smyth was born in Columbia County, Wis., in 1858. Son of F. G. and Rebecca Smyth. He came to Kansas in 1876 and engaged with the firm of F. G. Smyth & Sons. In 1881-82 he was Captain of Company A, Second Regiment Kansas National Guards. Is a member of the Wichita Gun Club and now carries the medal awarded by that club to the best shot.