|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The above caption is the name of a thriving, prosperous town containing about 600 inhabitants, and which is the last station west in Saline County on the Kansas Pacific Railway. The town was laid out and surveyed by the Kansas Pacific Railway Company in April, 1870. It is located in the south part of Section 3, Township 15 south, range 5, west of the sixth principal meridian. In June, 1870, the limits were enlarged by adding a small addition, and in September following quite an extensive addition was added. It was made the western terminus of the second division of the road, and among the first buildings erected was the round house and shops of the company. The land on which the town is located being the property of the railway company all the assistance the company could render in building up the place was given. With this assistance, and supported by a good surrounding country, the town had for a time a pretty rapid growth. It is a smart, neat looking little town, but aside from its growth there are not very many striking incidents associated with its history. The fact of its being the end of a division of the road attracted a good many people to the place, but to John Crittenden is due the credit of being the first bona fide settler in town. During the first year of its existence the town had grown so rapidly that in the second year it became a city of the third class by operation of law. The records of the place do not show who had the honor of being the first Mayor but all agree in saying that it was William Brownhill. Aside from the necessary buildings erected by the railroad company the first house in town was put up by M. P. Wyman, and the first store in the place was opened by George Snyder. Nothing of a very startling nature occurred to excite or agitate the people until December, 1874, when on the third day of that month a tragedy took place that horrified the entire community. At that time one Barney Bohan kept a saloon in the town, and on the day mentioned two brothers, William and Thomas Anderson, who were engaged in business in the place, were in Bohan's saloon, but what passed between them to lead to the tragedy will never be known. Whatever it was, however, or what was the nature of the provocation that Bohan had, if any, certain it is that he shot and killed the two Anderson brothers in his saloon. Excitement over the double murder ran very high and loud threats were made of lynching, which would have been put into effect but that Bohan was hurried off to Salina, where he was lodged in jail. The placing him in jail did not prevent an effort from being made to lynch him, and one night a large party came to the jail with ropes already prepared to carry out the mandates of Judge Lynch, but the sheriff having been informed of what was going to take place took the necessary steps to prevent the prisoner from being lynched, which he succeeded in doing. Bohan was tried at the following term of court for the murder of William Anderson and convicted, but an appeal was taken to the Supreme Court, where the case was reversed. He was next placed upon trial for the murder of Thomas Anderson, found guilty and convicted. He was sentenced to the penitentiary for life, but after being there about four years he went insane and is now in the State Insane Asylum. Brookville is a live, prosperous town, whose people are enterprising and energetic. The business of the place is represented by four general merchandise stores, one furniture store, one hardware store, one jeweler, one millinery, one wagon shop, one boot and shoe store, one drug store, one flour, feed and produce, one cigar and tobacco store, one elevator, one restaurant, one flouring mill, two hotels, one livery and feed stable, and two lumber yards; while the Transcript looks after the interest of all and the community in general. The Methodists have a very neat church building in town, and the Congregationalists quite a strong organization but no edifice. For a small town Brookville has a schoolhouse far superior to many in larger cities. It is a handsome brown stone building, neatly finished, elegant furnished with seats, desks, etc., and well ventilated. The town gives evidence of life, energy, and progress; and, though modest in its claims, does a much greater business than many places much more pretentious.
Knights of Pythias, Cydon Lodge, No. 5. Officers: Wm. Hogben, P. C.; E. R. Switzer, C. C.; A. G. Meyers, V. C; Ed. Wittman, P.; Gust Behr, M. of F.; Adam Scheidel, M. of E.; C. C. Fleck, M. of A.; John Foster, I. G., and Gust Schultz, O. G.
Brookville Lodge, No. 209, A., F. & M. - R. B. Ingraham, M. W.; J. B. Paul, S. W.; R. R. Titus, J. W.; Ed. Blanchard, S. D.; M. S. Amos, Sec.; W. H. Gentry, Treas.
Brookville Transcript. - this paper is established and published at Brookville, a thriving town, located on the Kansas Pacific Railway, in the west part of the county. The paper was started in November, 1879, by Albin & Tupper, under whose joint management it was conducted for a short time, when Aldin retired, leaving Tupper as sole editor. In 1880 Tupper was succeeded by F. E. Jerome, who issued but three or four numbers of the paper, when Iams & Simons took possession. In 1881 Simons withdrew from management, and Iams continued in charge until the latter end of the year, when the possessorship was transferred to W. L. Evans, where it still remains, with F. J. Ulsh as sole editor and publisher. It is a four page, seven-column, weekly, republican in politics, and has a circulation of about 600.
JOHN M. CARY, merchant, Brookville, born in Wayne County, N. Y., August 20, 1830, and was raised and educated in Saratoga County, N. Y. In 1849 immigrated to Weston, Mo., where he engaged in the drug business for some time, and in 1850 moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and remained there a short time. He then went to California, where he engaged in mining until 1852 with satisfactory results. He then returned to his native State and engaged in civil engineering for one and a half years, when he located at Troy, N. Y., engaged in the wholesale hardware trade for twenty-five years. In 1877 moved to Los Angeles, Cal., and kept a hotel for two years. He then came to Kansas and first located at Ellsworth, engaged in merchandising. In 1882 settled in Brookville and engaged in the present business. Married in Wayne County, N. Y., February 19, 1852, Miss Julia A. Ireland, a native of New England, born in 1826. They have two children - Louis C., and Delia E.
W. H. GURTRY, proprietor of Brookville Livery and Sale Stables, born in Clark County, Ky., January 27, 1826, where he was reared and educated. In 1841 moved to Johnson County, Ark., where he engaged in planting for four years. He was a soldier in the Mexican war and participated in the battle of Buena Vista, and others of less importance. He then returned to Arkansas where he remained for one year, when he moved to California and engaged in stock-raising and mining for two years. He next located in Goliad County, Texas, where he lived for twenty-one years, engaged in stock-raising. In 1872, came to Kansas and settled in Brookville, where he is engaged in the livery and stock trade. Married in Goliad County, Texas November 15, 1860, Miss Nannie A. Stribling. She was born in Alabama, June, 1840. They have five children - W. A., Nannie, G. J., J. H. and Bruce S. He is the present Mayor of Brookville.
DR. W. E. REYNOLDS, born in Allegany County, N. Y. December 26, 1856, where he was raised and educated. After completing his studies he began reading medicine. In 1879 and 1880 attended the lectures at Buffalo, N. Y., and graduated at Joplin, Mo., with honors in 1882, after which was elected Professor of Descriptive and Surgical Anatomy and Minor Surgery, where he served for one term. He came to Kansas in July, 1882, and located in Brookville, where he is engaged in his profession. He married in New York April 4, 1880, Miss Ella R. Cook. She is a native of the State of New York, born June 17, 1862. They have one child - Frank E.
JAMES ROE, merchant, was born in Sussex County, N. J., March 24, 1845. When young was taken by his parents to Pennsylvania, where he was reared and educated. Soon after learned the trade of mason, having made it his principal occupation for twenty years. He worked at his trade for ten years in the State of Michigan. In 1869 moved to Kansas and first settled in Lincoln County, where he still pursued his occupation, thence to Brookville, and in 1880 began his present business. Carries a stock of $3,000, and does a business of $1,300 per year. Married in Brookville, Kas., October 4, 1878, to Miss Rachel L. Waters. She was born in Warren, Ohio, in 1856. They have one child, Myrtle.
J. SKELTON, farmer, Section 20, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, September 15, 1840. He was raised and educated in his native State, and soon after learned the trade of butcher, which he followed for ten years in the city of Cleveland. In 1864 moved to Sheffield, Ohio, where he engaged in the same business until 1879, when he came to Kansas and settled on his present place of 160 acres, and where he is engaged in breeding and raising fine stock. He is also in the butcher trade. Mr. S. was married at Sheffield Lake, Ohio, in 1864, to Miss Nellie Gibson. She was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1848. They have four children - Elmar, Blanche, Fred and Eddie.
JOSEPH STAUBER, merchant, was born in Manitowoc, Wis., November 10, 1855, and was raised and educated in Fond du Lac. After completing his studies he learned the tinners trade and worked at Fond du Lac, Wis., for seven years. He came to Kansas and located at Brookville in 1878, and worked at his trade for three months. In 1879, opened a general hardware house on his own account, carrying a stock of $3,000, and is doing a business of $10,000 a year. Married in Fond du Lac, Wis., September 11, 1878, to Miss Carrie Gerber. She is a native of Wisconsin, born in Fond du Lac, February 12, 1856. They have two children, J. H. and E. H.
E. N. STEARNS, M. D., was born in Greenfield, Mass., September 11, 1828, where he was reared and educated. He received his medical education in New England, and in 1860 located at Montgomery Park County, Col., and began the practice of medicine. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A. Second Regiment Colorado Cavalry as a private and was soon after promoted Acting Assistant Surgeon, and was honorably discharged June 8, 1865, at Fort Riley, Kas. He then returned to Park County, Col., and was elected to the Legislature and was Speaker of the House. In 1867 was elected to the State Senate, where he served two terms. In 1870 he came to Kansas and located at Brookville. Married in Independence, Mo., April 1866, to Miss Dora Hotsenpiller. She is a native of Missouri, born in Independence, May 16, 1843.
L. C. WARNER, merchant, was born in Chenango County, N. Y., August 13, 1849, and was reared and educated in Broome County. In 1868 was appointed conductor on the Delaware & Lackawanna Railroad, where he served for four years. In 1872 came to Kansas and located at Brookville and received the commission as conductor on the U. P. R. R., which position he held for five years. In 1878 was appointed Postmaster of Brookville. He has in connection with this appointment a general merchandise store, carrying a stock of $7,000 worth of goods and is doing a business of about $30,000 a year. He was married at Winchester, Va., September 28, 1870, to Miss Nettie Crandal, a native of Chenango County, N. Y. Miss Crandal was born September 29, 1851. They have two children, Roy C. and Lee H.
This is the name of a small place on the line of the Kansas Pacific Railway, nine miles west of Salina. The place was originally known as Hohneck, a man by the name of Ernst Hohneck, who settled in that locality in 1865, having, in February, 1871, surveyed and laid out a town to which the name Hohneck was given. This place afterward vacated, and in October, 1877, E. F. Drake had twenty-five acres of the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 34, township 14, surveyed and laid off into town lots, and to this place was given the name of Bavaria. In 1879 the town site was enlarged by adding Hohneck's Addition. The place has not grown very rapidly, and does not contain more than 150 inhabitants at the utmost. It is without either church building or hotel, although the Congregationalists have a strong organization. The nearest approach to a hotel in the village is a boarding house kept by Mrs. S. Terry. There is one drug store in the place and one general store. The general store is owned by John Geissler, who also runs a coal and lumber yard. Two grain elevators, a wagon shop, a blacksmith shop, a schoolhouse, and a few dwelling houses make up the village. A syrup factory has been recently established at the place by Denton & Geissler, which adds considerably to the importance of Bavaria.
Assaria is the name of a small village on the McPherson branch of the Kansas Pacific Railway, about twelve miles south of Salina. It is surrounded by a fine farming country, which is occupied by thrifty farmers. The village was laid out by a town company in June, 1879. And is located on Section 12, Township 16 south, range 3, west of the sixth principal meridian. The president of the company was Highland Fairchild. The village contains one church, one schoolhouse, one hotel, two general merchandise stores, one drug store, two grain elevators, one lumber yard and a blacksmith shop. The population of the place does not exceed 125.
JOSEPH DUNCAN, merchant, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, September 18, 1851; was reared and educated in his native State, gaining considerable mercantile experience. Came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Brookville, and was Assistant Postmaster for two or three years, under Lelie and Hogan, the first Postmasters at this point. In 1874, started the lumber and coal business, and in 1875 was put in as manager, with full control of the large store here, called Beebe & Co., though still retaining the lumber business, which he hired some one to take charge of for him. In 1878, bought a livery barn near the store, and still continues that business in connection with the store and lumber yard. In 1882, he took in a partner and bought out the firm of Beebe & Co., and moved the stock to the City Hall building, where they carry a stock of general merchandise, under the firm name of Duncan & Cary. They carry a stock of $12,000, and do a business of $35,000 per year. He is also proprietor of the Brookville Furniture Store. He married in Ellsworth County, Kan., January 1, 1875, Miss Carrie C. Henry, a native of Pennsylvania. She was born in Armstrong County, Pa., July 20, 1852. They have two children - Ida M. and Mary E.
D. T. HOPKINS, farmer, P. O. Bridgeport, Section 25, born in Union County, Ind., December 9, 1833, and was raised and educated in Decatur County, Ind. In 1854, he moved to Des Moines County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until 1861, when he enlisted in Company L, Fourteenth Regiment Iowa Infantry. He participated in some of the hard fought battles, and was taken prisoner at Shiloh, and was confined in various Southern prisons, and was paroled at Macon, Ga. He then re-entered the service, and was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, in 1864. He came to Kansas in 1866, and located on his present place of 360 acres. He is also largely interested in a flouring mill at Bridgeport. The mill is a five story building, 30x44, propelled by water, and consumes about 450 bushels of grain per day. Married in Des Moines County, Iowa, November 11, 1858, Miss Nancy Husted. She was born in Union County, Ind., January 28, 1838. They have nine children - Mary E., Lillie S., Cora, Josiah W., Nettie, Albert, Robert, Edward H. and Edith.
JOHN H. JOHNSON, merchant, born in Sweden, December 14, 1841; when young, came to America with parents, and first settled in Chicago, Ill., where J. H. was educated. Soon after, learned the trade of bookbinding, having worked at the trade in Chicago and Kansas City for thirteen years. In 1868, was appointed by the first Swedish Agricultural Land Agency of Chicago to locate a colony. He was, therefore, instrumental in locating a large colony in southwestern part of Saline County, and since has been merchandising in various parts of the State until 1881, when he became a merchant of Assaria. Married in Lindsborg, McPherson Co., Kan., December 21, 1870, Miss Catherine G. Lindh, born in Sweden, May 18, 1848. They have eight children - Elizabeth P., William O., John R., Annie C., Emma S., Hannah C., Agnes O. and Mary C.
D. McPHAIL, retired, P. O. Assaria, born in Scotland, July 6, 1845. He was educated in his native country, and was employed as a steamboat clerk for many years in Scotland. He came to America in 1856, and located in Fond du Lac County, Wis., where he engaged in steamboating and farming until September, 1864; he then enlisted in the United States Navy, and was promoted to petty officer, and in 1865 was discharged for disability. He came to Kansas in 1866, and settled in Saline County, where he engaged in farming until 1879, when he was appointed station agent at Assaria until 1882. He was married in Rosendale, Fond du Lac, Co., Wis., February, 1866, to Miss Mary E. Fairchild; she was born in Newburg, N. Y. They have six children - George W., Laura, Charles, Herbert, Edna and an infant not yet named.
DR. R. M. KNOX, physician, born in Elkhart County, Ind., September 3, 1848 where he was educated. After completing his studies, he engaged in school teaching for give years, and reading medicine during vacation. In 1872-73, attended a course of medical lectures at Cleveland, Ohio, and completed his medical education at Detroit, Mich., in 1874. He then located at Wabash City, Ind., and began the practice of medicine, where he remained for two years. He continued his practice at various points in Indiana until 1878, when he came to Kansas and located in Assaria. He has, in connection with his practice, a drug store. The doctor was married in Elkhart County, Ind., May 5, 1850. They have two children - Roscoe C. and Pearly M.
E. E. SWANSON, merchant, born in Sweden, March 26, 1854. He was educated in his native country; came to America, and first located in Jacksonville, Ill., where he engaged in various pursuits for some time. In 1872, came to Kansas, and engaged in business for six years. In 1877, moved to Lindsborg, McPherson County, where he remained for one year. He then engaged in farming until 1881, when he located at Assaria, and is engaged in merchandising. He was married in Salina, Kan., February 21, 1877, to Miss Hannah C. Hanson; she was born in Sweden, July 27, 1855. They have three children - Ester M., Carl J. and Lyda E.
O. H. THORSTENBERG, dealer in lumber, born in Sweden, October 14, 1828, where he was educated soon after; learned the trade of cabinetmaker, having worked at the trade seven years in his native country, he came to America in 1854, and settled in Chicago, engaged in various pursuits for some time; after which he moved to Galesburg, Ill., where he worked at his trade for eleven years, and three years for the C., B. & Q. R. R. In 1869, came to Kansas, and continued his trade in Salina for a short time; he then moved to his farm, where he remained until March, 1880, when he engaged in his present business. Mr. T. was instrumental in settling his part of the county, and is one of the founders of Assaria. Married in Galesburg, Ill., August 21, 1856, to Miss Martha Nelson; she was born in Sweden, May 17, 1831. They have one child - Ester.