|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
JOSEPH W. FULLEN, farmer and manufacturer of amber syrup P. O. Scandia, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., in 1846. In 1862 enlisted in the Ninety-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry and served until the close of the war. In 1869 emigrated to Dallas County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming and raising and manufacturing amber cane syrup. In 1872 settled in Republic County, Kan.; took a homestead on Section 5, Township 3, Range 5. Has sixty acres under the plow, four acres of timber, small orchard. Has devoted more time to the manufacture of syrup than to farming. In 1880 purchased a cane-mill and machinery for manufacturing syrup, the first year's product being 1,400 gallons; the second year manufactured 2,500 gallons. Has put up this year (1882) a syrup house 24x30 feet and will manufacture 4,000 gallons. He finds this a paying investment, the syrup wholesaling at 45 cents per gallon and is unable to fill all his orders. He has the reputation of making one of the finest brands in the State. Was married in August, 1873, to Miss Susan A. Coffee of Cortland Township. They have five children--James, Virgil, Roscoe, Delmont and Pearl.
N. MARTY, farmer, P. O. Prospect, was born in Switzerland in 1840; emigrated to America in 1854, locating in Ohio; after a short time there located in Philadelphia and soon after located at Massillon, Ohio, and learned the shoemakers' trade. In 1861 he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Oskaloosa, and for four years was engaged in shoemaking, and then engaged in farming, and in 1872 came to Kansas, locating in Republic County and took a homestead on Section 28, Township 3, Range 5. He was, among the first settlers, seventy two miles from market. He secured a fine piece of land and has ninety acres under the plow, a fine grove of forest trees of five acres, one and one-half miles of hedge, 225 apple, 150 peach, 120 cherry trees, besides an abundance of small fruits, grapes, etc. He is raising a good many hogs and cattle and some very fine horses. Mr. Marty has always taken an active part in the politics of the county and has been the leading Republican in his town. Has been Trustee four terms. He has done well since he came here, starting with a capital of 50 cents in cash. He was married in 1861 to Miss Maria Cramer, of Ohio. They have six living children--Kate, Edward, Lizzie, Harry, Newton and Loring. Mr. Marty is a member of Scandia Lodge No. 165, I. O. O. F., and of Scandia Lodge No. 165, K. of P.
JOHN ROUSE, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Sauk County, Wis., in 1846; was raised there and was engaged in farming the most of the time until 1876; then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County; soon after coming here was united in marriage with Charlotte Peterson and settled in Beaver Township on a farm consisting of sixty acres, on Section 8, Township 4, Range, 5, which was taken as a homestead by his wife in 1872, she being among the first settlers in the township. Mr. Rouse, however, put on the improvements, building a good stone house, granary, stables, etc.; planted a fine grove of forest trees, 160 rods of hedge, peach orchard, twenty-five apple trees and a variety of small fruits. Has some nice stock on the place, consisting of eleven head of cattle, thirty head of bogs, and has gained steadily each year since he has been in the State, and is known as an active, energetic farmer. They have four children--Lena, Albert, Hulda, and Sarah.
PETER WORKMAN, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1837, remaining there until the fall of 1865, when he emigrated to Wapello County, Iowa; in 1872 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County; took a homestead on Section 4, Township 3, Range 5; was among the first settlers in this township; was seventy-five miles from a railroad point with a cash capital of $15 to commence business with; for the first two or three years found it up-hill work. Has a fine farm, nicely improved; also has a timber filing on Section 10, Township 3, Range 5, making a farm of 320 acres, with 160 acres under the plow, sixty acres of pasture, fifteen acres of timber; the balance is hay land. Has 800 peach trees, 600 plum trees, 200 apple trees, two and three-fourths mile of hedge; has a good house and barn. The place is well stocked with twenty-nine head of cattle and sixty head of hogs. Was married in March, 1866, in Delaware County Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Hyatt. They have five children--Lois E., Jennie S., Ewin H., L. E., and Webb. Mr. Workman is a member of the Farmers' alliance.
JOHN R. BOWERSOX, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Carroll County, Md., in October, 1842. In 1854 his parents moved to Ohio, locating in Darke County, where he remained until 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, Fifth Ohio Cavalry, serving until December, 1864, when he received his discharge. In 1865 he moved to Illinois, locating in Galesburg, Knox County, and was employed in the stock-yards, remaining two years; thence to Warren County. Ill., rented a farm, and went to farming and did very well; then sold the farm implements. In February, 1871, he came from there to Kansas and located in Republic County, where he had taken a homestead the year before on Section 23, Township 2, Range 4. He has 116 acres under the plow, has planted about five acres of timber, and has a good orchard, containing apple, peach, pear, plum and cherry trees, and small fruit; has nearly three miles of hedge, and a good house 14x22 feet, with a wing 16x18 feet. He is raising stock cattle and hogs, has a good farm, and has done well since he came here. He was married in 1866 at Greenville, Darke County, Ohio, to Miss Gertrude Axer. They have five children--Dora M., U. S. Grant, Minnie O., Arlie E. and Orville. He was Trustee of the township during 1872 and 1873. He is a member of John Brown Post No. 44, G. A, R., and of the Grange.
GEORGE A. CATE, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Adams County, Ill., in 1847, and was raised there until 1855, then located in Hancock County. In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Mounted Infantry, Company C, serving three years and was discharged at Camp Butler, Ill., in 1865. After coming out of the army he returned to Hancock County, remaining there until June 1872; then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 11, Township 2, Range 4. There were no improvements in this part of the county. He has seventy acres under the plow, thirty acres fenced for pasture, has three acres of timber, a fine orchard of 150 trees of different kinds, besides a variety of small fruits; has a good house, 16x20 feet; with ell, 12 x 20 feet; good stables, and wind-mill for pumping. He was seventy-five miles from market when he came here, and now is six miles. He is raising stock, and has seven head of horses, fourteen head of cattle, and twenty-six head of hogs, and has done well since he came here. He was married in March, 1873, to Miss Cordelia Wilson, of Hancock County, Ill. They have two children--Margaret J. and Edwin M. He is a member of the G. A. R.
T. W. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Pike County, Ohio, in 1820, and was raised there, living there until 1845. He then emigrated to Iowa, locating in Wapello County, and engaged in farming, remaining there until 1864; thence he went to Appanoose County, where he remained until 1873; coming from there to Kansas he located in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 23, and a tree claim on Section 22--making 240 acres--Township 2, Range 4. He has 150 acres under the plow, thirty-five acres fenced for pasture, twenty acres of timber which he planted on his timber claim, and three acres on his homestead; the balance of land is meadow. He has about ninety apple trees, sixty peach, besides plum and cherry trees and small fruits. He has a good house 16x22 feet, with stone basement; and a barn 20x35 feet. He has seven head of horses and is raising some other stock; has a nice place, and is considered one of the solid men of the township. He was married in 1843 in Pike County, Ohio, to Miss Phillips. They have nine children--George W., M. H. Jane, F. M. Louisa, Oliver H., Martin M., David P., Emma Cornelia, Roscoe and J. T. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Anti-Horse Thief Association.
S. A. McKAY, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Bangor, Me., in 1843. At the age of two years his parents moved to Wisconsin, locating in Milwaukee, where they remained until 1853; then to Sheboygan, where he remained but a short time, when they moved to Illinois, locating in Moline, and was in the employ of John Deere Plow Works the most of the time until 1861. He then enlisted in Company H, Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry, serving about three years, and was mustered out in October, 1864. He then returned to Moline, and was employed in the paper-mills until 1868; then went to Mercer County, and was engaged in farming until 1870, coming from Mercer County to Kansas and settling in Republic County, he took a homestead on Section 25, Township 2, Range 4, December 25, 1870--there was(sic) but three houses between them and Belleville. He has ninety-five acres under the plow, the balance in pasture and meadow; has four acres of forest trees; and a good orchard of 400 peach, fifty apple, and small fruits of all kinds; has one mile of hedge, and is raising stock horses and cattle mostly. He was the first Constable in the township and received his appointment from the Governor, delivered up the petition to the County Commissioners to organize and name the township; was elected Township Clerk, and has held the office the most of the time since. He drew up the paper to publish the first call for a Masonic meeting in the county, and has been a leading man in the county ever since. He was married in 1866 in Mercer County, Ill., to Miss Margaret J. Cooper. They have seven children--Byron; Cass and Cora, twins; Walter; Almira and Almeda, twins; and Fanny. He is a member of the Belleville Lodge No. 129, A. F. & A. M.
J. W. NELSON, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Chester County, Pa., in 1846; was raised there until fifteen years of age; then he went to Wilmington, Del., and went into Sullivan & Thompson's carriage factory to learn carriage-making, remaining there four years; then came West, locating in Chicago, where he was employed as foreman in Thompson and Edward's works, remaining there three years, and in 1870 came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 23, Union Township. He has 105 acres under cultivation, 40 acres fenced, and the balance is hay land. He has eight or ten acres of forest trees planted, and a small orchard of about one and one-fourth acres of various kinds; has the place hedged on three sides and 160 rods wire on the fourth side. The place shows the work of a good farmer. He is engaged to some extent in stock raising. Has twenty head of cattle, and from thirty-five to forty head of hogs and usually markets one-half that many annually. He is one of the leading men in the township. He has been Township Trustee and Assessor three terms, besides holding some school offices a portion of the time he has been in the county. Prior to coming to Kansas he served two years at mechanical engineering. He was married in 1874 in Union Township to Miss Emma Ebling. They have four children--Nellie, William, Eugene and Kate.
J. B. GAYLORD, farmer, and dealer in grain and lumber, etc., P. O. Harbine, was born in Lake County, Ohio, in 1845. When three years of age went to Wisconsin, locating in Waupun, remaining there a short time and then located in Marquette County, remaining there until the war broke out in 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, Tenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served three years and two months, received his discharge in 1864. After coming out of the army, returned to Wisconsin, remaining there until 1871, when he emigrated to Kansas, and located in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 11 Township 1, Range 4. Was among the first settlers in Washington Township. Has remained on the place continuously since. Has 105 acres under the plow, two acres of forest and fruit trees, has good frame house, 12x20 feet; ell, 10x20 feet; good barn, 12x24 feet, and granary 18x24 feet; is raising stock. In October, 1880, put in a warehouse at Harbine and commenced buying grain; also handles lumber and coal, and is working up a large trade in this business; is still carrying on his place and makes his home there; is a wide-awake, active, business man, the kind of a man to build up a town and business, and very popular with all. Was married in 1865 to Miss Lillian Bailey, of Wisconsin. They have seven children--Fred, Hepworth, Nellie Irene, Ray, Maggie, Mary, Chesley.
T. F. MARLATT, farmer, P. O. Republic City, was born in Allegheny County, Pa., in 1837. At the age of fourteen years his parents located in Hamilton County, Ohio, near Cincinnati, where he remained until the war broke out, in 1861, when he enlisted in the Fifty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. Was discharged at East Port, Ga., in 1864. After coming out of the army he returned to Hamilton County Ohio. In 1870 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County. and took a homestead on Section 31, Township 1, Range 4. Was among the first settlers in Washington Township. No roads, except the old Government trail, and sixty-five miles from any railroad. He has eighty-five acres under the plow, one and a quarter miles of hedge, an orchard consisting of ninety apple and 150 cherry trees, 3,000 cottonwood and other trees, new house, 24x14 feet, with ell, 14x14 feet, new granary and stables, and is engaged in raising stock. When the town of Republic City was laid out, Mr. Marlatt became one of the members of the Town Company and was chosen president of the same. He has thirty lots besides what he has disposed of; at one time sold his interest for $10 and paid $150 to get it back; the lots are now valued at about $500 to $600. Mr. Marlatt has done well, and now, instead of his farm being sixty-five miles from the railroad, is joining the town site and less than one mile from the station. He was married in 1859 to Miss Julia A. Kidd, of Ohio. They have four children--C. W., W. A., Charles E. and Julia. Is a member of the I O. O. F., and has been Master of the Grange.
J. B. POLLARD, farmer, P. O. Republic City, was born in Owen County, Ind., in 1834, and was raised there until seventeen years of age, going from there to McLean County, Ill., and engaged in farming. In 1865 emigrated to Oregon, remaining there three years; from there to California, remaining one year; he then returned to Illinois, remaining there two years. In 1871 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Washington Township, Republic County. Took a homestead on Section 31. Was seventy-five miles from railroad and thirty miles to a mill. Has 100 acres under the plow, thirty acres of pasture, the farm runs up to the town site of Republic City, and he had forty acres in Big Bend Township, and has laid off ten acres into lots, which he has disposed of; also owned one-seventh of the town site when it was laid out, and has disposed of forty-five lots in all, of his share in the town plat; has done well here, as his land has been very valuable, lying as it does adjoining the town. He was married December 31, 1861, to Miss Van Arsdall, of Illinois. They have four children--Nora, Fannie, Horace H. and Harry. Is a member of the Anti-Horse Thief Association.
W. A. REEVES, farmer, P. O. Harbine, Kan., was born in Portage County, Ohio, in 1836. but was raised in Knox and Stark counties, Ill., until 1860, when he emigrated to Pike's Peak, and for six years was engaged in mining and freighting in the Western States and Territories. At the end of this time he returned East and located in Iowa, where he remained until 1871, when he gathered his worldly possessions together, consisting of team and wagon, and what he could put in a wagon, and started for Kansas. Reaching Republic County in the spring, he took a homestead on Section 11, Township 1, Range 4. Was among the first settlers in this township, and eighty miles from any railroad point. The first five years had to draw his water for family use five miles and with other drawbacks, which a new county is subject to, commenced to make a home of his claim. He had his crops destroyed by the grasshoppers in 1874, and for a time thought it would be about impossible to do anything, but now has 125 acres under the plow, four acres of fine forest, a peach orchard of 500 trees, besides apple and cherry trees, 100 plum trees, and a variety of small fruits. A good frame house, 16x24 feet, story and a half, stable, granary and cribs, and meadow of about twelve acres of tame grass, forty head of hogs, eighteen head of cattle, 6 head of horses, with tools and machinery for carrying on his place. It is but three miles from market. Has been Justice of the Peace of his township seven years, and one of the most enterprising citizens in the town, and highly respected by all. He was married in April, 1868, in Cass County, Iowa, to Miss E. A. Jordan, of that place. They have four children - William E., Ethel G., Mabel E. and Walter S. He was at the last election elected Representative for this, the Seventy-ninth District, to the Legislature, which convenes January 9, 1883.