|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
W. H. BOYES, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Steuben County, N. Y., April 17 1838, but was raised in Ontario County, on a farm. When old enough to do business for himself, he then engaged in market gardening. Remaining in Ontario County until the spring of 1870, he then sold out and emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 12, Township 2, Range 3, which he has lived on since. He has this place finely improved; and as fine a grove and apple orchard as there are in the county, consisting of 250 bearing apple trees and 100 peach trees, with various kinds of small fruits, etc. In 1871, in company with E. Powell, he opened the first nursery in Republic County, consisting of twenty acres of various kinds of fruits, and had 15,000 apple trees ready for market, when the grasshoppers in 1874 destroyed nearly all the plants, about $5,000 worth in all. The following year he sold out to Mr. Powell, and has been engaged in stock-raising since, making a specialty of hogs of which he raises some very fine ones. He has done well since he came here, although he lost nearly all he had in the nursery in 1874. He is one of the leading farmers in his township, and a man highly respected; is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and a stockholder in the Republic County Co-operative Store. He was married in 1860 to Miss Wolverton, of Steuben County, N. Y.; they have four children--Elmer E., Effie, Harman and Joseph.
R. P. CHENEY, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Franklin County, Vt., in 1821, and was raised there until 1857, emigrating to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where he engaged in farming, remaining there twelve years, but meeting with reverses, he concluded to try his fortunes in the West, and in 1870 we find him entering Republic County, Kan., nearly fifty years of age, with but little means, but an abundance of hope, and succeeded in selecting one of the finest homesteads in the county on Section 13, Township 2, Range 3, which he proceeded to convert into a home. He has the finest natural building spots in the county, on which he erected a good house, after a few years has about eight acres of timber planted, with orchard, containing peaches, pears, plums, cherries and other small fruits, besides quite an amount of hedge, and the place thoroughly improved; also has a timber claim on Section 14, which he filed on in 1875; has ten acres of timber on this place, a good house, and the most of it improved. He is in good shape to enjoy life, within four miles of town and everything pleasant around him, and feels as though it was a wise move when he settled in Kansas. He was married in 1843 in Franklin County, Vt., to Miss Mary A. White, of that place; they have three children--A. B., O. F. and C. H. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the Republic County Co-operative Society and a stockholder in the store and has been Justice of the Peace and Township Trustee for several terms.
J. A. CLARK, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Marion County, Ohio, in 1844, but was raised in Wyandotte County from the age of four years, remaining there until 1870. In September, 1861, enlisted in Company D Fifteenth Ohio Infantry, serving twenty-three months; was taken prisoner at the Battle of Stone River in 1863, but was paroled soon after, and was discharged soon after. The same year he enlisted in the Ninth Ohio Cavalry, serving one year, when he was discharged for disability. After remaining at home four months, he re-enlisted in the Fifty-fifth Ohio Infantry, serving until the close of the war. After receiving his discharge, he returned to Wyandotte County, and was married in September, 1865, to Miss Emily R----. In 1870 he emigrated to Kansas, taking a homestead on Section 10, Township 2, Range 3, living on this place until 1874, when he sold out and pre-empted on Section 3, Township 2, Range 3, where he lives at present; has eighty acres under the plow, four acres in timber, some fine fruit, and is raising hogs and cattle. Mr. Clark and his brother put up the second saw-mill in the county, which was located at the mouth of White Rock Creek. They brought this mill from Ohio with them, and had it running early in the fall of 1870, and did a good business until the following April, when they sold out. Mr. Clark has two children--Luella J. and William T. He is a member of John Brown Post, No. 44, G. A. R., and of the I. O. O. F.
S. T. COLLINS, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Pike County, Mo. in 1825. While quite young his parents moved to Central Illinois, where he was raised, and lived there until 1873, and was engaged in farming; came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and buying a farm on Section 23, Township 2, Range 3, and his son took a homestead on Section 23 adjoining, and the whole has been worked as one farm. Mr. Collins put up one of the best barns in the county, and has the finest farmhouse in the town, if not in the county; is one of the best farmers in this part of the state; has 170 acres under the plow, forty acres of pasture, and the balance in hay land; has five to six acres of trees planted, with some very fine peaches and small fruit; has a hedge around the place, and is raising from 100 to 150 head of hogs annually, besides buying and feeding a good many cattle for market; has a fine timothy meadow of which there are very few in this part of the State. In the spring of 1850 he was married to Miss M. A. Clark, of Illinois; they had one son, and in March 1854, Mrs. Collins died. He was married again in 1856 to Mrs. Margaret A. Robinett, of North Carolina; they have ten children - George, Josephine R., Thomas E., Lewis, Henry, Robinett, Martha A., Freddie, Frank and Ernest. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church..
E. H. COUCHMAN farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Owen County, Indiana in 1846, was raised there until ten years of age when he emigrated to Iowa with his parents locating in Appanoose County and remaining there until August, 1862. At the age of sixteen he enlisted, serving in Company C, Eighteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry for a term of three years, was mustered out at Little Rock, August 5, 1865, then returned to Iowa and engaged in farming; remaining there about three years in 1870 emigrated to Kansas and located in Republic County and the following spring took a homestead on Section 20, Township 2, Range 3, on which he began to improve a home, has eighty acres under the plow, about five acres of forest trees planted, a fair apple orchard, 400 peach trees, 200 of which are to be with fruit, besides 300 rods of hedge. Eighty acres of his land is fenced into a pasture and meadow, has good buildings and is situated in one of the finest portions of the county, turns his attention to raising hogs and has from 100 to 125 in market each year. Is four and one-half miles from Belleville, and has done well since he settled here, is one of the enterprising men who help to build up a city. He was married in 1868 at Albia, Monroe County, Iowa, to Miss Hancock, of that county. They have three children, viz.: Emma D., Lillie R., and Jessie A. Is a member of John Brown Post No. 44, G. A. R.
JOHN L. DANIELS, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1844. In 1848 his parents emigrated to Wisconsin, locating in Jefferson County; remaining there until 1860, thence to Rock County, where he remained until 1862, then enlisted in Company F., Thirty-third Wisconsin Infantry, serving three years. After receiving his discharge returned to Rock County, remaining there until 1870 emigrating to Kansas, reaching Republic County in December and pre-empted 160 acres on Section 2, Township 2, Range 3; and in 1872 homesteaded 160 acres in the same section, making a farm of 320 acres, has 125 acres fenced for pasture, 130 acres under the plow and the balance is fine hay land. He has a fine grove of about forty acres, a good orchard started and is extensively engaged in stock raising. Is also agent for the Monitor Vaneless Windmill, having control of Republic and Jewell counties. He put up six mills during the first six months, besides attending to his farm, which is encouraging as these are the first of the kind put up in this part of the State. He also handles the Monitor Feed Mill manufactured by the same company, He was married in 1868 to Miss Onora Dibble of Rock County, Wisconsin. They have three children--Mabel, Edith and Leonard. He is a member of John Brown Post, No. 44, G. A. R.; also a member of Republic County Co-operative Society and stockholder in the store.
O. L. GRIFFIN, farmer, P. O. Belleville; was born in Belvidere, Ill., in 1848 and remained there until 1870; after he was old enough he was employed in a store as a salesman until he came West. Located in Belleville in March, 1870, and took a homestead adjoining the town site on Section 35, northeast quarter, He has eighty acres under the plow and the other eighty he has for hay and pasture. He has a fine grove on the place with number one stone buildings. He is extensively engaged in stock-raising and is noted for always having fat stock on hand when others are out. Also farms a place in the same township for his brother; is also the possessor of a small farm and is one of the best farmers in the county and has the respect of all who know him. He has a very desirable place and a pleasant home. He was married in July, 1876, in Belleville, to Miss Ella D. Lowell; they have three children--John, May and Arthur.
E. G. HAVEN, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in McKean County, Pa., in 1824. In 1850 his parents moved to Illinois, locating in McHenry County, where he remained until 1874, then emigrated to Kansas and located in Republic County; bought a farm on Section 11, Township 2, Range 3, consisting of 160 acres and the same year filed 160 acres on Section 10, as a timber claim and has planted from fifteen to sixteen acres of forest trees on the place of various kinds with several very fine walnut trees, and has from three to four acres of timber on the home farm with a fine lot of cherry trees, about 100 apple trees, besides a fair amount of small fruit, and has about 130 acres under the plow, a small stock of cattle and is raising a good many horses and hogs; has been quite extensively engaged for many years in raising broom corn which has been one of his best investments, has shipped the greater portion to Chicago with an occasional shipment to New York City, and has raised from forty to seventy-five acres each year. In 1858 he was married to Miss R. E. Robinson of McHenry County, Ill. They have seven children--Elyza, Estella, Helen, Elinor, Henry, Orlow and Gracy. He is a member of the Republic County Co-operative Association and a stockholder in the store and also a member of the Baptist Church.
D. M. HOWARD, farmer, P, O. Belleville, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1835, and was raised there until fourteen years of age going from there to Allen County, where he remained until 1870 and from there came to Kansas locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 2, Township 2, Range 3; and was one of the early settlers in the town and a man highly respected and is one of the most substantial men in the county and has continued to live on his place which he has well improved, and has 100 acres under the plow and sixty acres for pasture. The place has a hedge around it, a good grove of 4,000 forest trees, 150 apple trees and other small fruits in abundance and is raising a good many hogs, and usually has from forty to fifty head in market each season besides quite a herd of cattle and has a very desirable place and within five miles of Belleville, and is strongly opposed to monopoly and is a member of the Republic County Co-operative Association and a stockholder in the store at Belleville. He was married in 1854 to Miss Rickner of Allen County, Ohio, and they have four children--John, Jennie, Edward and Estella. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WESLEY JEHLIK, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Bohemia, Austria, in 1848. In 1866 he emigrated to America and located in Manitowoc County, Wis. until May, 1867, when he moved to Peoria County, Ill., remaining there three years engaged in farming, In 1870 he came to Kansas, locating at Kansas City, remained eight months and then went to St. Joseph, Mo., and soon after came to Republic County and took a homestead on Section 18, Freedom Township and has about ninety acres under the plow, forty acres fenced for pasture the balance in hay land, and has planted four acres of timber, one-half acre of peach trees, fifty apple trees and fifty grape vines, besides all kinds of small fruits, and has a good house 18x36 feet, one story and a half and a barn 14x18 feet with granary same site. Is raising stock and hogs; he usually markets from twenty to thirty head annually. The farm is all fenced with good hedge. He was married in 1873 to Miss Annie Houndek, of Fairview Township. She was born in Bohemia, Austria, in 1857, and came to America in 1864. They have five children--Mary, Emma, Annie, Josephine and Rose.
A. M. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born near Primrose, Lee County, Iowa, in 1844, and was raised there until 1865 and then went to Jefferson County, where he worked at farming and loaning money until 1872 when he came to Kansas and opened a general store in Belleville and was engaged in the business four and one-half years and in 1876 sold out and bought a farm on Section 34, Township 3, Range 2, of 160 acres and has eighty acres near this place and eighty acres adjoining the town site of Belleville on the south, and has 160 acres under the plow and eighty-five acres in pasture, the balance is in hay land. He has about ten acres of timber and is raising cattle and hogs and has sent more fine hogs to Illinois than any man in the county and in which he is very successful; usually markets from 100 to 150 each year. He has a fine stone house 34x30 feet, and is nicely situated one and a half miles from Belleville. He is one of the best business men in the town and is highly respected by all. He is a good musician and is leading the Belleville cornet band. He was married in 1872 at Fairfield, Iowa, to Miss Chandler and they have two children--Ira L. and Cora. He is a member of Belleville Lodge No, 129 A., F. and A. M. and Belleville Lodge No. 55, A. O. U. W.
ALBERT MYERS, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Trenton Ohio, in 1837, and was raised on a farm, and then engaged in farming. In 1864 drafted in Company E, Fifty-fifth Ohio Infantry, serving one year. After receiving his discharge he returned to Ohio, and remained there until 1870; coming from there to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 34, southwest quarter, Township 2, Range 3, and was among the first settlers in the township. Has remained on the place and has sixty acres under the plow, with 100 acres for pasture. Has been engaged in stock-raising for a number of years, of which hog-raising has been his principal business. Mr. Myers is one of the most successful men in this line in the town. He was married in 1874 in Freedom Township, to Miss Margaret M. Taylor, daughter of James Taylor. They have three children, viz., Melissa A., Elmer J., and Nellie E.
REV. A. ODELL, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Carroll County, Indiana, in 1835, remaining there until thirty years of age. In 1865 he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Clayton County, where he remained one year, thence to Marion county, where he remained four years; was filling the pulpit at these places. In 1870 came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 29, Township 2, Range 3, which he has improved, having added forty acres. Has a farm of 200 acres, with 115 acres under the plow, forty acres for pasture, and the balance in hay land. Has good buildings, a grove of forest trees, and a young orchard started. During the years 1878 and 1879 was filling the pulpit in Freedom and Courtland townships, and now preaches in the Odell schoolhouse, Freedom Township. Mr. Odell is engaged in sheep-raising commenced in 1880, and has 215 head, which he feeds very profitably. The annual clip is from seven and one-quarter to seven and three-quarters, and since he has been in the business they have netted 100 per cent on the investment. Also raises a good many horses and hogs. In 1874-75 he was Assessor and Township Trustee of Freedom Township. He was married in 1832 in Indiana, to Miss Mattie Thompson, of that State. They have three children, viz., Ella, Clara, and Albert. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
E. POWELL, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, in 1847. Was raised on a farm, and lived in that county until 1870. In 1865 enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Ohio Infantry, serving until the close of the war. After receiving his discharge he returned to Hancock County, remaining there until he came to Kansas in 1870, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 13, Township 2, Range 3, which he has converted into one of the finest homes in the State. Has a large, convenient residence situated in a grove of about eighteen acres of different varieties of forest trees, and is the largest of the kind in the county. Has an apple orchard of 1,500 healthy trees, the most of them bearing, 150 being cherry trees, and an abundance of all kinds of small fruits. These trees were taken out of a nursery which Mr. Powell and Mr. Boyes started in 1871, and are much superior to any which have been shipped in from Eastern nurseries. This was the first nursery started in the county, and from 1874 until 1882, Mr. Powell has carried it on alone, having bought out Mr. Boyes' interest in 1874. Mr. Powell is noted as being the model farmer of Republic County and is very popular with all who are acquainted with him. He extensively engaged in raising hogs. In 1868 was married in Hancock, County, Ohio, to Miss Jennie C. Baldwin of that county. They have two children, viz., Flora and Arthur M. Is a member of Belleville Lodge, No. 129, A., F. & A. M., and is a member of the Republic County Co-operative Association, and the present treasurer of the same.
HON. I. O. SAVAGE, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Moravia, Cayuga County, New York in 1833. Spending his early life on a farm and attending the district school in the winter until 1848. He then took an Academic course at Moravia Academy, finishing in 1849. After completing this course he emigrated to Michigan with his parents, locating in Lewanee County, and began teaching. Was sixteen years of age when he taught his first school, and from that time until 1864, taught every winter, and for three summers, during this time, taught select school. In 1855 was elected School Commissioner, and afterwards elected School Examiner for two terms, and always took an active part in all educational matters. In July, 1862, enlisted in the Eighteenth Michigan Infantry, and was not mustered in until August, and during this time recruited twenty-six men, who were mustered in, and received a commission from Gov. Blair as Second Lieutenant of Company I, to rank from July 29. In November of the same year was promoted and received a First Lieutenant's commission. Was tendered a Captain's commission afterward, but declined. In May, 1864, was commissioned as Regimental Quartermaster, serving eighteen months in this capacity, from January 1865, until July, 1865, was serving as Post Quartermaster at Huntsville, Ala., and was mustered out in July, 1865, and returned to Michigan and engaged in farming for a short time, and then put up a saw mill and was engaged in lumbering until 1870. Then rented his mill and took a western trip, reaching Republic County, Kansas, in January, 1871, and homesteaded on Section 9, Township 2, Range 3, in March, soon after erecting a large frame dwelling, and had forty acres of breaking done. His family did not move out until the following September. During the summer he was employed as a clerk in the drug store at Belleville. During this time his mill was burned, which was a severe loss. Early in the spring of 1871, he was appointed Clerk of the District Court, and in the fall of 1871 was elected County Treasurer, and was re-elected, holding the office two terms, and when his last term expired the commencement of the term of office was changed from July to October, and he received the appointment to fill the vacancy during the three months and ten days longer. In 1876 he was appointed by the Board of Centennial Commissioners to represent Kansas at the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, Pa. As Assistant Manager was there about forty days, and then returned home and was elected State Senator in November for the Thirty-third District on the Independent Republican ticket, by a majority of fourteen votes. Has been a member of the State Board of Agriculture since January, 1874. Was the first Secretary of the Republic County Agricultural Society, which position he held for four years, and is the present President of the Republic County Co-operative Society, and a stockholder in the store. Mr. Savage has been an active public man all the time he has been in this State. Has never overlooked his farm which has been his home all the time, and which has developed into one of the most desirable farms in northern Kansas through his care, with hedges, groves, orchard, good barn, large residence, etc., and has a few very choice ornamental trees, among which may be found the European larch, the only trees of this variety in the county. Mr. Savage is extensively engaged in raising the Poland China hogs, with which he has been very successful. In 1878 began gathering facts of the early settlement of Republic County, through the request of the State Historical Society, to which he has devoted considerable time, and has succeeded in getting the history down to 1871, dating back to about 1857. Has bound 100 pages of legal cap, and on July 4, 1882, read portions of this to the people who were gathered at Belleville to celebrate the day. Mr. Savage is a pleasant gentleman, and has made a host of warm friends since he has resided in Republic County, and all who call on him meet with a hearty welcome, not only from him, but his pleasant lady, who has the pleasant faculty of making the time glide smoothly along. In 1855 he was married to Miss C. J. Baker, of Fairfield, Lenawee County, Michigan. They have seven children, viz., A. J., Lydia A., Byron F., Emma, Alice M. Nellie Pearl, and Ruby. He is a member of Belleville Lodge, No. 96, I. O. O. F, and Belleville Lodge, No. 55, A. O. U. W.; John Brown Post, No. 44, G. A. R., and Secretary of Pleasant Dale Grange, P. of H., No. 1059.
D. VAN AKEN, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Schoharie County, New York, in 1839. Was raised on a farm until about twenty years of age, and before the war broke out went into a carriage factory until 1861, when he enlisted Company D, Third New York Cavalry, serving three years and ten months. Was mustered out June 12, 1865. Served as Sergeant, and in a skirmish on the South Side R. R., near Black and White Station, Virginia, received a severe wound in the foot, which disabled him for further service, and is a source of great annoyance to him now. Being unable to use it after receiving this wound, he received a First Lieutenant's commission, and was mustered out as such. In 1870 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 15, Township 2, Range 3, and was one of the early settlers of Freedom Township. Has the place nicely improved with a good grove and orchard and small fruit. Is one of the most successful breeders of fine hogs in the county, also handles a good many cattle. Mr. Van Aken is one of the most enterprising farmers of the town, and is highly respected. He was married in 1867 in Hillsdale County, Michigan, to Miss Kesselring, of that place. They have two children, viz., Ina T.. and Herbert. He is a member of the Republic County Co-operative Society, and a stockholder in the store, also a member of the G. A. R., John Brown Post. No. 44.
JAMES VAN AKEN, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y.. in 1845, and was raised there on a farm until 1869; then engaged in carpentering and building, remaining there until 1874; then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County and took a homestead on Section 25, Township 2, Range 3, of 160 acres; then bought forty acres, making 200 acres; has 115 under the plow, 55 fenced for pasture and the balance hay land; has a creek running through the place with about fifteen acres of timber along its banks; has a good house, a stone barn 20x45 feet, 12-feet posts, good granary 20x35 feet, and the buildings are well protected by a fine grove of about five acres of forest trees of all kinds, with a good orchard with a large variety of fruits; also has two and one-half miles of hedge around the place. The farm is nicely situated about two miles from Belleville. Is engaged in raising cattle and hogs. Was married in 1867, in Belleville to Miss Snyder, daughter of J. N. Snyder. They have one daughter--Lillie L. Is a member of Republic County Co-operative Society and stockholder in the store; also member of Methodist Episcopal Church.
R. B. WARD, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Lestershire, England, in 1852, coming to America with his parents at the age of thirteen, and locating in Keokuk County, Iowa, where they remained six years; thence to Kansas in 1871 and settled in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 2, Washington Township, and remained there five years; then went to Belleville and put up a stable and engaged in the livery business and handling agricultural implements, for three years, then traded the stable for 160 acres of land on Section 25, Township 2, Range 3, one and one half miles from Belleville, and then traded his homestead for 160 acres on Section 26, joining the other land, making 320 acres in one body. This farm is one of the most desirable places in the town, is well watered, and has a stone quarry which will furnish stone enough to build a city, which lays close to the top of the ground, all the way from 6 inches to 1 foot. The stone is very fine and can be worked with little trouble. This stone is worth a great deal to Belleville and vicinity. He has 130 acres of land fenced for pasture, 65 acres under the plow and about 125 acres of hay land. Is extensively engaged in raising stock and has some very choice cattle. He about(sic) 85 head in all, besides hogs and horses. Has a good orchard, with all kinds of fruits. A fine grove of maple, box elder, cottonwood, etc. He has a good stone house and barn, and is one of the most enterprising young men in the county. Was married in 1879 to Miss M. A. Van Natta, daughter of N. L. Van Natta. They have two sons, Guy and N. J. Is a member of Belleville Lodge No. 129, A., F. & A. M.
JOHN WATSON farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., in 1818, and was raised there on a farm until eighteen years of age; thence to Erie County, remaining a short time, then emigrated to Ohio, and in 1838 landed in Calhoun County, Mich., remaining there two years. Then for a number of years was changing around from Michigan to Illinois, thence to Indiana, and then to Erie County, Pa., and in 1858 emigrated to Iowa, remaining there until 1871. Then came West and located in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 2, Township 2, Range 3, which he has lived on, and has improved the most of the land, has added 40 acres, making a farm of 200 acres; has from 10 to 12 acres of forest trees planted, a good orchard, apples, and a nice lot of small fruits, with about 200 peach trees; raises a good many hogs, some cattle, and has done well since he came here. The first two years lived in a sod house 16x24 feet, then put up a good frame house. Was married in 1843 at Springfield, Erie Co., Pa. to Miss Mary Symonds. They have six children, viz., S. H., Mary J., George R., John, Edgar, Franklin. Mr. Watson is a shareholder in the Republic County Corporative(sic) Store, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.