|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This place was pre-empted by Robert Wilson, who built a log cabin on Rock Creek-since called Brush Creek-at the military crossing, where he kept a frontier hotel for several years. He and his sons, James and Louis, were the earliest settlers in this region. The town was located on the southeast quarter of Section 20, and the southwest quarter of Section 19. Township 9, Range 10, and it was named after Louis Wilson. It was recorded as a town site with the above description, January 15, 1857. It lies on both sides of Rock Creek, quite the larger portion north of it. It is a very pleasant locality. There are medicinal springs near the town. A most interesting old settlers; reunion and basket dinner was held at Taylors' grove, near Louisville, June 4, 1879, L. R. Palmer, presiding. July 10, 1880, a soldiers' and sailors' reunion was held at Louisville, an enrollment providing for all who have served their country, either as National or State troops. J. R. Baker, of Westmoreland, was President; J. S. Mitchell, Secretary; J. J. Hostutler, Treasurer; with Vice presidents from the municipal townships.
The Congregationalists and Methodists of this town have well established church organizations and good church buildings. Rev. Mr. St. John is pastor of the Congregational, and Rev. Mr. Brown of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The I. O. O. F., Rose Lodge, No. 122, was instituted at Westmoreland, December 15, 1874; its officers were as follows: M. S. H. King, N. G.; R. P. Atwood, V. G.; W. K. Merritt, Secretary; J. S. Codding, Permanent Secretary; Charles Zable, Treasurer; J. C. McBride, Warden; C. A. Skene, Conductor; John Sebring, R. S to N. G.
The lodge was moved to Louisville, March 22, 1879. During the summer of 1881, it built a new stone hall, 25x65 feet, costing nearly $2,000. Its officers for 1882 are as follows: L. G. Beal, N. G.; R. S. Hick, V. G.; John M. Cotton, Secretary; John A. Beal, Permanent Secretary; A. C. Merritt, Treasurer; David Hilderly, R. S to N. G.; E. T. Baker, L. S. to N. G.; J. S. Mitchell, R. S. to V. G. ; George Parry, L. S. to V. G.; R. J. Hodgson, Warden; G. R. Anderson, Conductor; Abe Giltner, I. G.; E. D. Anderson, O. G.; A. H. Brill, Chaplain.
This lodge has a membership of about seventy-five. Its meetings are held on Saturday evening, and visiting brothers are always welcome. This is the most prosperous secret organization in the county.
Press History. - July 17, 1867, A. Sellers started the Pottawatomie Gazette at Louisville, which was the first one in the county. Patrick McCloskey, in February, 1868, bought a half interest in it; on July 5, 1869, he obtained the other half from Mr. Sellers, and in 1870 it became the Kansas Reporter. This paper became the property of a joint stock company, and W. H. Powell was its editor. E. Barnes succeeded Mr. Powell, and in the summer of 1876, he disposed of his interest to Messrs. Hick & Reed, and they published it until April, 1878. Sylvester Fowler then took possession of it as editor, and continued until January, 1879. Hick and Reed ran it until July 1, 1879, when H. G. Evans edited it until July 1, 1880. In March, 1880, Reed bought Hick's interest, and on July 1, 1880, Reed took charge of it as editor and proprietor, with John M. Cotton as assistant editor. October 23, 1881, the paper was sold to a joint stock company and was moved to Wamego. Mr. Cotton went there as editor and remained three weeks. The paper was then sold to S. Fowler, and in February, 1882, Mr. Fowler sold it to Charles E. Chandler and J. L. Browne. There were twelve shareholders in the joint stock concern. Cotton and Anderson sold out their shares, and Mr. Fowler, who had bought the Wamego Tribune of W. P. Campbell, sold to Cotton & Anderson, and they established the Louisville Republican, November 24, 1881. W. T. Anderson had printed the St. Mary's Express. Messrs. Cotton & Anderson are the present editors and proprietors of the Republican.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BARRETT - GRIFFITH).
S. P. BARRETT, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Barbour county, Va. (now West Virginia), August 22, 1840. When a boy, he moved with his parents to Indiana County, Pa. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company K of the One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1872 moved to Powesheik County, Iowa. In December, 1873, he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Louisville Township, Pottawatomie, County, where he still lives. He is engaged in grain, stock and farming. Was married in Indiana County, Pa. December 25, 1866, to Miss Anna Elkins. They have seven children - Charles, Henry E. William M., Arthur, Frank E. Elsie J. And George.
JOSEPH A. BEAL, cashier of bank, was born in Peru, Ind., April 15, 1859. When a child, his parents removed to Indianapolis, where they lived until our subject was six years of age. Then they moved on to a farm in the same county, but returned to the city at the end of two years. Joseph attended the public schools of the city, and a course at a business college. In the spring of 1868, he accompanied his parents to Kansas, they settled at Leavenworth, and in November of the same year, came to Pottawatomie County, settling on a farm near Louisville. In 1875, he entered the office of J. K. Whims, register, and worked there for a year. In March, 1876, he entered the office of M. S. & C. N. Beal, bankers. He worked for them in the business and in various county offices until January 1, 1877, when he became accountant and cashier for the banking house of Beal Bros., where we still find him. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married September 30, 1879, in Pottawatomie County, to Miss Louis J. Immenschuh. They have one child-Mary Gertrude, born August 29, 1881.
L. G. BEAL was born in Peru, Ind., March 19, 1857. When a child, his parents moved to Indianapolis, and from thence to Kansas in 1869 settling in Louisville. He is the resident and managing agent for Beal Bros., bankers and abstractors. They have a complete set of abstracts of title for all lands in Pottawatomie County; also, abstracts of the books of the Clerk of the District Court and Treasurer. He is at present N. G. of Rose Lodge, No. 122, I. O. O. F. He was married December 25, 1879, at Louisville, to Miss Lizzie Bittmann. They have one child-Bertha, born October 31, 1882.
M. S. BEAL, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Switzerland County, Ind., March 7, 1848. He was educated at the Northwestern Christian University, Indianapolis, Ind. In 1866 removed to Kansas, settling at Leavenworth, where he resided until 1868, when he removed to Louisville. In 1872 he was elected Clerk of the District Court of Pottawatomie County, and re-elected every succeeding year until 1882, when he declined a re-election. In connection with his brother, C. N. Beal, he began a set of abstracts of title to lands of Pottawatomie County in 1873. Have also abstracts of the Treasurer's and District Court Clerk's books. In 1875 they established a bank in Louisville, which they still conduct. Also do a general land agency, loan and insurance business. He belongs to the Masonic Order, also the I. O. O. F. He was married July 21, 1869, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss M. E. McComas. They have four children - Florrie M., C Xavier, Merritt F. and Garnet.
ALMON BENTON, hardware, was born in Tioga County, N. Y., July 10, 1824. He learned the carriage and wagon-making trade. In 1853, moved to Illinois, settling at Pecatonica, Winnebago County, and engaged at his trade for two years. He then bought a farm in Ogle County, and was for several years a farmer. He sold his farm, moved to Wisconsin, thence to Iowa, thence came to Kansas in June, 1858, settling in Oskaloosa, Jefferson County. In November, 1860, he moved to Vienna Township, Pottawatomie County, on a homestead, where he lived until 1869, when he moved into Louisville, and engaged in a milling and hotel business; at the end of four year (sic) he sold out his interest in the mill to his partner, C. C. Foot, and continued his hotel and farming operations. In August, 1874, he bought out H. Hopkin's stock of hardware and implements, in which business he continued until February 1, 1883, at which time he sold out his store and stock to Mr. Charles E. Tucker, of Jacksonville, Kan. Mr. Benton was married January 20, 1847, to Miss Betsy F. Lewis, daughter of Jeptha Lewis, of Chenango County, N. Y. They have had five children, four boys and one girl, all married, except Otis L., who is in his seventeenth year, and living with his parents and attending Washburn College at Topeka during school months. One son, Lewis O., died March, 1882, at San Antonio, Texas, of consumption, after having been married to Miss Sue Sabin one year and nine months. The two older boys are living near the old homestead in Vienna, and deal largely in cattle and hogs. The daughter married A. H. Case, a prominent lawyer of Topeka, and is residing there. Mr. Benton is a member of I. O. O. F., and both he and his wife have been members of the Congregational Church since childhood.
CHARLES W. BITTMAN, merchant, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, August 9, 1840. He was educated in the public schools of that city. In 1859, came to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, First Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded at Wilson's Creek, receiving a minie ball through his right wrist, cutting out one of the bones. This ended his military history. He returned to Leavenworth, and was employed as a clerk. In 1866, he took a train of merchandise, principally groceries, and opened, with his partners, a commission house at Virginia City, Montana Territory, firm of F. R. Merk & Co. In 1867, came to Louisville from Montana, and opened a store of general merchandise on his own account, and has been in business here since. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married, September 6, 1874, at Albion, Nebraska, to Miss S. H. Rice. They have two children: Albert G., born October 6, 1875, and Lorin, born July 1, 1878.
A. H. BRILL, M. D., was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, January 21, 1835. He was educated at an academy at Albany, Ohio, and began the study of medicine. He enlisted, October 8, 1861, in Company G of the Sixty-third Ohio, as a private. (sic) Was promoted to Lieutenant in November, 1864, and in the following month, to First Lieutenant, in which capacity he commanded his company until the close of the war. Returning to Ohio, he entered the P. M. Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in February, 1871. He settled at Plymouth, Ohio, and practiced until 1878, when he came to Kansas, settling at Louisville, where he has been in constant practice since. He is a Mason. (sic) and belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married September 13, 1856, at Plymouth, Ohio, to Miss Nancy E. Miller. They have four children - O. M., Ella, Charles M. And Flora.
JOHN F. CAILLOZ, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in France, March 10, 1817. In 1854 he came to America, settling in Cincinnati, where he worked at the brewing business for a year. In 1855 he came with the colony from that city to Manhattan, but returned to Topeka and lived in Shawnee County until 1859, when he came to Pottawatomie County, settling one mile East of Louisville, on the farm he now occupies. September 2, 1862, he enlisted in Company K of the Eleventh Kansas, and took part in all the battles of that celebrated regiment. Served three years and returned to his farm, where he has since been engaged in farming and stockraising. He was married in France, September 1, 1838, to Miss Margaret Minary. They have three children all grown. His only son, Frank, served three years and six months in Company F of the Sixth Kansas, in the war for the suppression of the Rebellion.
JAMES B. CAMPBELL, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Bellaire, Belmont County, Ohio, June 5, 1850. At the age of thirteen years lost his right arm by having it crushed in a cane-mill. He was educated at Hopedale College, Harrison County, Ohio. In 1871 moved to Missouri and taught school in Shelby County. Returned to Ohio, finished his college course, and was principal of Glencoe public graded schools until 1878, when he came to Kansas, settling at St. Mary's in Pottawatomie County. Was the principal of the Bellevue schools one year; then he became Deputy Register of Deeds since 1879. In 1882 was elected by the Democratic party for Clerk of the District Court. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
R. M. CHILCOTT, son of Lieutenant E. Chilcott, was born in Livingston County, Ill., July 16, 1857, from whence his parents emigrated to Kansas in 1869, settling at Louisville. He received a good common school education in the schools of Illinois and Kansas, and a practical business education while in the newspaper business, and in the various county offices of Pottawatomie County. In 1880, in connection with Mr. Nagle, Register of Deeds, he commenced a set of abstracts of title of all lands of the county, which they have now fully completed. They have also abstracted the books of the Treasurer, District Court and Probate Judge, and they are doing an extensive land and loan business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
WILLIAM CLARK, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, March 11, 1833. In 1844, his parents removed to Livingston County, Mo. In 1855 came to Kansas, and for a time lived at Leavenworth, but was back and forth at times, until 1859, when he settled permanently on a farm near Council Grove. In 1863 he removed to his farm in Pottawatomie County, near Louisville. He served in the Fourteenth Kansas as Commissary Sergeant in the year 1864, taking part in repelling the Price and Indian invasions of that year. In 1869, Mr. Davis appointed him Deputy Sheriff, and he was elected to the office in 1871, and re-elected in 1873, serving six years in all. May 1, 1880, he bought an interest in a drug store, which was run under the name of Taylor & Co. for a short time, when Mr. Clark bought his partner's interest, and afterwards consolidated with the business of J. Sabin, the business now being conducted under the firm name of J. Sabin & Co. Mr. Clark has been twice married, first to Miss Mary A. Churchman, of Livingston County, Mo., on the 6th of March, 1859. She bore him three children - George, Sarah Frances and Flora J. Mrs. Clark died in March 1865; and, January 14, 1877, he was again married at Louisville, to Miss Lucinda A. Gann. They have from this marriage five children - Anna, Ella, Belle, Jessie and Pearl.
J. S. CODDING, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Butler County, Ohio, October 18, 1836. When a lad, his parents removed to Will County, Ill. In 1847 he entered an office in Milwaukee and learned the printing business, remaining two years, when he returned to Illinois. In 1858 he came to Kansas, settling at Marysville, but in 1861 he returned to Cook County, Ill., thence to Porter County, Ind., where he lived during the war. Again, in 1872, he removed to Kansas, settling on a ranch ten miles northwest of Louisville, where he has been engaged in farming and stockraising since. In 1874 he was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives for the county of Pottawatomie. He is the president of both the State and Kansas Central Wool Growers' Association, and has been from their organization. He is an Odd Fellow and a good one too. Was married in Lockport, Ill., March 28, 1858, to Miss Harriet M. Case. They have four Children--Julian K., George T., John F. And Willie V.
THOMAS N. COONEY, farmer. P. O. Louisville, was born in County Limerick, Ireland, November 24, 1843. He landed at New York, February 28, 1855, and went to work in Dutchess County, N. Y., where he lived until 1869, when he came to Kansas, settling in Leavenworth County, where he engaged in farming. In 1876, he settled in Pottawatomie County, Louisville Township, where he still lives engaged in farming. He was married in Dutchess County, N. Y., to Miss Eliza Mulchay on August 17, 1865. They have nine children: Dennis, born July 27, 1866, Mary, born September 17, 1867; Kate, born September 29, 1869; William, born March 12, 1871; John, born June 2, 1872; Thomas, born December 21, 1875; Patrick, born August 21, 1878; Mathias, born April 28, 1880; Elizabeth, born October 21, 1882.
JOHN M. COTTON. The parents of the subject of this sketch was Kentuckians. The father, Isaac Cartright Cotton, was of Scotch-Irish descent, descending on his mother's side from the noted family of O'Ragans, in Ireland. The mother, Sarah Morgan Cotton, was of English-Welsh stock, being a second cousin of the noted Rebel raider, John Morgan. John M. Cotton was born in Parke County, Ind., November 19, 1851, and is the oldest son of his father's second marriage. In his infancy, his father's family moved to Storey County, Iowa, and located on a farm in Skunk River Bottom. He attended the district school in the neighborhood until about seventeen years old, working on the farm in the summer time. When about seventeen he entered the State Agricultural College at Ames, Iowa, attending that school two years. In 1870 he came to Kansas and for several years, taught school in Jefferson and Douglas counties. In 1873 he commenced reading law with Hon. N. Hoysradt, Lawrence, and in 1874, he read with Price & Gillespie, Falls City, Nebraska. In January, 1875, he was admitted to practice as an attorney and counselor-at-law, in the Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska, being the first person admitted to that court on examination. In the same month he was elected Clerk of the Judiciary Committee of the Senate, holding said office to the close of the session. In the spring of 1875, he returned to Richardson County, Nebraska, and practiced his profession. On the 8th of June 1875, he married, at the residence of Dr. M. M. Gordon, Rulo, Nebraska, to Miss Lillia L. Johnson, daughter of Capt. J. H. Johnson, of Spencer, Ind. In 1876, Mr. Cotton returned to Kansas, locating at Winchester. He practiced his profession for a while, and in June, 1877, in company with T. W. Gardiner, Esq., established the Winchester Argus. In August, following, he sold his interest in the paper to his partner. In April, 1880, he moved to Louisville, Kan., and opened a law office, July 1, he became associate editor of the Kansas Reporter, and entered into partnership in the practice of law with F. A. Reed, Esq., the editor and proprietor. In October, 1881, the Reporter was moved to Wamego, and November 24, 1881, Mr. Cotton, in company with Mr. E. D. Anderson, issued the first number of the Louisville Republican. This paper seemed to meet a "long-felt want" as it rapidly increased in circulation and influence until when one year old it had an actual circulation of 840 copies. Mr. Cotton is now editor and manager of the Republican, and is one of the proprietors of the Westmoreland Weekly Period. Mr. Cotton is a young man of rather more than average ability and promise. He is a ready, vigorous and fearless writer, and always expresses his convictions regardless of consequences. He lives in a beautiful home in Louisville, and enjoys a fair share of public esteem. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Rose Lodge, No 122, of Louisville. He has one child, a girl, Minta Moyne, born October 28, 1878.
JAMES L. COX, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in Morgan County, Ill., October 23, 1842. In November, 1868, he landed in Pottawatomie County, Kan., settling in Wamego Township, March 1, 1871, he moved on to a farm which he had bought, and where he now lives. He is an extensive farmer and stock-grower, owning and cultivating 240 acres of prairie land. He has been School Director and Clerk, and Township Trustee for the last three years. He was married, December 13, 1870, in Morgan County, Ill., to Miss Mary Robinson. They have two children: George W., born December 1, 1873; Lula May, born January 23, 1879.
D. A. DUCKWORTH, M. D., was born in Putnam County, Ind., June 16, 1841. At the age of fourteen, he removed to Davis County, Iowa, where he lived until 1862, when he entered the army, enlisting as a private in Company G of the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to Hospital Steward, and served in the Sixteenth Corps, until the capture of Atlanta, when he was transferred to the Fifteenth Corps, and served through the war. After the war engaged in farming in Iowa, and studied medicine. Graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1877. Same year he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Pottawatomie County. A year later, he moved to Louisville, and has been in practice there since. He has held the office of Coroner of the County, two terms. He is a K. T. Mason, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married, March 17, 1870, at Florence, Iowa, to Miss S. F. Hunter. They have five children: Georgia W., Otis, Omar, Orton and Otto.
J. W. FULTON, County Surveyor, was born in Athens County, O., November 29, 1841. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University, taking the "Scientific Course." He entered the U. S. Army, October 7, 1861, as the First Lieutenant of Company G; of Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to a Captaincy, August 19, 1862. Resigned September 27, 1964. Returning to Ohio, began business as a merchant at Amesville. In 1868, came to Kansas, bringing with him a steam saw-mill, which he located five miles from Louisville, Pottawatomie Co. In 1875, sold out the mill, and was engaged in various occupations until 1877, when he was elected County Surveyor. Was re-elected in 1879, and 1881. He is a member of the Masonic Order. Was married March 21, 1872, at Louisville, Kan., to Mrs. Kate Bain. They have two children, Adelbert and Elma.
ABE GILTNER, County Treasurer, was born in Morgan County, Ill., June 9, 1837. Was a farmer and stock-raiser and was largely engaged in shipping stock from Kansas for several years before locating in the State. In 1874 he removed to Kansas, locating at Belvue, Pottawatomie County, where he was engaged in feeding and shipping stock until 1879, when he was elected Treasurer of Pottawatomie county and re-elected two years thereafter. Term expires in October 1884. He is a member of the Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F. He was married March 20, 1873, at Ashland, Ill., to Miss Carrie F. Shortt. They have two children, Abe and Kate.
JAMES GRAHAM, Sheriff of Pottawatomie County, was born in the County of Cork, Ireland, December 28, 1845. When he was a child his parents emigrated to America, living for a short time in New York City, and Cincinnati, finally settling in St. Louis, where, in 1849, they both died of that dreaded scourge-cholera. Orphaned, and without relatives he was taken in charge by the Sisters of Charity, and placed in the St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum of St. Louis, where he remained until 1854, when he came with a Mission to the Pottawatomie Indians, landing at St. Mary's Mission from the steamboat "Excel," June 17, 1854. He became a protege of Dr. L. R. Palmer, and lived in that gentleman's family until March, 1863, when he enlisted as a private in Company L of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry. In October, 1864, for meritorious service, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant of the Company, by the recommendation of Gen. Thayer. The war having ended, he was mustered out of the service in October, 1865, and returned home, settling in Louisville. In 1868 he was commissioned by Gov. Crawford, as First Lieutenant of Company M, Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry. This regiment took an active part in the campaign against the Indians during the winter of 1868-9, under Gen. Curtis. Mustered out in the spring of 1869, he returned to Louisville, and engaged in business. In 1881, he was elected Sheriff of the County, and is still in office. He was married March 5, 1867, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss Azzie P. Jackson. They have five children: Clinton W., born January 11, 1868; Llewellyn J., born March 4, 1870; John J., March 14, 1872; Mary M., April 29, 1880; Douglass (sic), April 26, 1882.
SAMUEL GRIFFITH, farmer, P. O. Louisville, was born in the County of Donegal, Ireland, in 1829. In 1851 he came to American and for two years worked in Philadelphia. From thence he went to Woodford County, Ky., where he worked for Robert E. Alexander, the famous breeder of fast horses. He continued in Mr. Alexander's employ until 1855, when he came to Kansas, settling at Fort Leavenworth, and for a year was in the Government service as a teamster and drove to Fort Laramie in 1856. He left the Government service in 1858 at Leavenworth and continued there until 1860, when he went to Pike's Peak, where he remained until 1864 and from there went to Idaho and engaged in mining, and from there he went into British American still in the capacity of a miner. He returned to Leavenworth City in 1866 and then visited Philadelphia the spring of 1867, when he returned to Kansas, settling on a farm in Louisville Township where he now lives engaged in farming. Owns a splendid farm of 340 acres. In 1867 he was elected Sheriff of the county and served one term. He was married in Pottawatomie County, Kan., January 25, 1872, to Miss Kate McHan. They have four children: George Sheridan, Samuel, Minnie and Mary.