|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This young city, named in honor of the distinguished Illinois senator, is handsomely located on the north bank of the Solomon river, three miles west, seven miles from the south line of the county and twenty-four miles west of Kirwin, and commands a fine view of the broad, fertile valleys of the Solomon river, Crooked and Cactus creeks, both of which empty into the river within a mile of the town. Logan was located in 1873, but made but little progress until 1878, when several men of enterprise located there. Their energy and vigor have produced fruits, and a rapid growth followed. Logan is now recognized as one of the live towns of the northwest. In June, 1880, new life was infused into the town by the completion of the Central Branch road to the town, and it practically remained the terminus of the road until January, 1882. It is the boast of the business men of the place that no town in the northwest has better or fuller stocks of general merchandise, agricultural implements and groceries. As a class the people are generous, enterprising and intelligent. Logan contains five general merchandise stores, two hardware, one bank, two hotels, a drug store, millinery store, furniture store, bakery, barber shop, wagon shop, billiard hall, two blacksmith shops, a photograph gallery, two grain buyers, two groceries, two lawyers, three physicians, two resident clergymen, and one of the best managed newspapers in the Solomon Valley. The extensive flouring mills (Peter Hanson's) is one of the most complete and commodious in Northwestern Kansas. In addition two sorghum mills are about going into successful operation. In one of them about $3,000 capital has been invested. With a large extent of fertile country tributary to the young city Logan is fast growing into importance, and increasing her trade.
Logan was first settled In 1870, B. F. Darling being the earliest settler. He was soon followed by W. R. Shleppy, Peter Hanson, D. G. Hoover, the Marvins, Peter Hanson, A. C. Larick, James Boyd, M. Scranton, Jacob Post, F. and U. Allbright and others. The town was named by D. G. Hoover in honor of his old commander, General John A. Logan, of Illinois. The first birth in the town was John Logan Graft, born in the spring of 1872. In September, 1872, occurred the first marriage in the village, Frank Gray and Miss Jennie Shleppy. The first death was that of George Knox, in July, 1872. He was shot accidently.
Logan was organized as a town in 1872, the first officers being A. B. Miller, trustee; and John Sears, town clerk. The town or village government continued until 1880, when Logan followed the example of Kirwin and Phillipsburg and became a city.
The first mayor chosen was Charles H. Bridges, who also serves the city in the same capacity at the present time. W. W. Gray was the first elected clerk and continues to hold the office by re-election. The first councilmen were: T. M. Bishop, Dr. Thomas, F. R. Hamilton, W. A. Johnson and Charles Smith. The present board consists of WA. Reeder, T. Wiltrout, H. N. Boyd, J. Shultz and Dr. C. T. Lawrence. Monthly meetings are held.
The first school was taught in a log house on Washington street, during the fall and winter of 1872 by Rufus Hastings. Six years later a substantial public school building was erected on Washington street at a cost of $700. Logan has always had first-class school privileges, and has always paid her teachers above average rates.
The first sermon was preached in 1872, in the school house by Rev. Henry Worley, of the M. E. Church, The Free Methodists are now erecting a substantial and roomy stone church in the city, and the Methodist Episcopals, through the effective labors of Rev. Mr. Dalton have secured a subscription of $1,200, and will build a meeting house during the year 1882.
The first postoffice was established in 1870 (named Logan) and B. F. Darling was first postmaster. The office was kept in a two-room dug-out on the north bank of the Solomon, near where Hanson's flour mill now stands. Succeeding B. F. Darling as postmaster were W. H. Gray, H. P. Gandy, Thomas Beaumont, Mrs. Mary B. Benjamin. This lady has charge of the office at the present time. The money order department was introduced in the Logan office July 1, 1879. The first saw mill was erected by McClallen & Hanson in 1874; but one year later they believed that a grist mill would prove more profitable. The sawing machinery was removed and flouring mill works put in place. It is a four-run mill, one of the best in the Solomon Valley, capable of grinding 200 bushels of wheat per day. Under and below the mill they made a tunnel through the solid rock, at a cost of nearly $1,000. The first store in Logan was started by Gray Bros., 1872 on Washington street. Gray Brothers erected two log houses early in 1872, and in one a these they opened the first stock of goods in the new town. Two years later Dr. Leighty built a neat little frame store house, which was the wonder and admiration of the early settlers.
During the present season a stock company was organized for the erection of a sorghum mill. The amount of $2,000 has been paid in and the experiment bids fair to become a success. Peter Hanson, the miller, is the leading spirit in the enterprise. In addition to this contemplated improvement, similar enterprises of smaller dimensions is already in successful operation.
The ground on which Logan stands is gently rolling, and the location for a large town is beautiful. The land was homesteaded in 1870 by B. F. Darling. He made a comfortable dug-out on the high bank overlooking the Solomon, and continued to reside there until 1880 when he removed to Florida. Mr. Darling sold 40 acres of his homestead to J. J. Wiltrout, 40 acres to W. H. Shleppy and the remaining 80 acres to J. Blakeley. The population of Logan at the present time is between four and five hundred. There are two resident clergymen in Logan, Rev. H. Dalton, of the M. E. Church, and Rev. J. J. Wayt, Free Methodist.
Logan Lodge, No. 37, Knights of Pythias, was organized May 18, 1881. The charter members were: Charles T. Lawrence, George M. King, W. E. Bennet, J. Bodwell, W. W. Gray, W. E. Moore, W. Drumhiller, F. J. Gardner, G. E. Bridges, H. M. Wixom, F. E. Newton, J. W. Benjamin, H. G. Stalcup, D. E. Mahaffy, J. W. Nichols, D. J. Livingood, F. M. Jolly, W. D. Covington, Wm. Duden, A. Williamson. The first officers were: W. D. Covington, P. C.; Geo. M. King, C. C. ; Geo. E. Bridges, K. of R. and S. Present officers: H. G. Stalcup, P. C., W. W. Gray, C. C., J. E. Shultz, K. of R. and S. Meet in their own hall every Friday evening. Lodge room corner of Main and Mill streets. Present number of members, fifty.
The Bank of Logan was established December 18, 1880. President, J. J. Wiltrout; Cashier, G. M. King. In June, 1881, the establishment was consolidated with the Phillips County Bank. This arrangement continued until May, 1882, when E. F. Robinson retired, and the banking firm became Wiltrout & Reeder, the former acting as President and Mr. Reeder, Cashier.
WILLIAM DRUMHILLER, attorney at law, fire insurance and collecting agent, first came to Logan, Kan., in the fall of 1878, and engaged in agriculture. He has 160 acres of land deeded, 160 under pre-emption act, and 160 as a timber claim, 120 acres of which is cultivated. He has served as Justice of the Peace two years. He was born in Eaton City, Northampton County, Pa., November 4. 1832; was raised in Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio; emigrated to Muscatine Iowa, January 1, 1855, where he followed merchandising until August, 1857, when he went to St. Joseph, Mo., and engaged in the same business. He was there Judge of Police Courts two years, City Assessor two years, and two years a Member of the School Board, and ten years merchandising. Enlisted in September, 1861. in Co. B, Third Battalion, Missouri Reserves, and was promoted to Captain of the company. He re-enlisted February 24, as Captain of Co. A, Fifth Missouri Cavalry: promoted to Major, April 30, 1862. He re-enlisted August 1, 1874, as Adjutant of the Forty-fourth Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was made Captain of Company B, same regiment. He participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tenn., the siege of Mobile, Ala., and many skirmishes. He was mustered out September 1, 1865. He was married April 3, 1867, to Miss E. T. Cowden, a native of Madison, Ind. He is a member of the Encampment Lodge I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias, and Logan Post No. 177, G. A. R.
HENRY FERRET, proprietor Ferret House. This hotel was erected in 1879, and opened to the public in the winter of the same year. It is 78 feet long and 18 feet wide; has two wings, 18 x 18 and 18 x 12 feet respectively, two stories high, and has a capacity for thirty guests. It cost $5,500, and is kept in first-class order for a far Western hotel. Mr. Ferret has a fine and interesting collection, of natural curiosities, which will afford the curious hours of interest in viewing. He first came to Kansas in November, 1877, and engaged in agriculture about a year, before going into the hotel business. He was born in Cornwell, England, July 30, 1827. He came to America in 1850 and followed masonry many years at Oconomowoc, Wis. He was married in 1868 to Miss Jane Peardon, a native of England. They are members of the M. E. Church of Logan. Mr. F. has been president and a member of the city council.
W. W. GRAY, editor and proprietor of the Logan Enterprise, is a native of Johnson County, Iowa, in which State he learned the business of printing. He became a citizen of Phillips County in 1874. From June of that year until August, he was employed as a compositor in the office of the Kirwin Chief, and then for three years he clerked for Weaver & Warner, merchants in the same city. He again took his old trade of printing, and remained in the Chief establishment until July 1879. He then purchased a job office and started business in Kirwin and secured a good trade. Early in 1880 he removed to Logan with his office and purchased a half interest in the Enterprise; securing all the office in July following. He has made the Enterprise a paying investment, and it is justly popular with the people of Logan and vicinity. Mr. Gray was married in September, 1880, to Miss Mary F. Taylor of Phillips County. They have one child.
PETER HANSEN, firm of Wiltrout & Hansen, proprietors Logan Flouring and Grist Mills. These mills were erected in 1875, in size are 32 x 50 feet, two and one half stories high, and have a capacity of 75 barrels per day. The water power has a head of 13 feet. Mr. Hansen first came to Ottawa county in 1870 and followed various occupations for two years, thence came to Logan and embarked in the cattle business. He finally erected a sawmill, and soon added machinery for grinding, since which time he has been steadily adding and building until the present time, when he has a fine mill, worth at least $10,000. He was born in Denmark, Nov. 15, 1846, came to America in the spring of 1867, and lived in Wisconsin about three years. Was married in 1879 to Miss Alfie A. Gray, native of Ireland. They have two children, Katie and George. He owns a grist mill just above Marvin, Phillips County, on the Solomon River, where there is a water power of 8 feet head. The mill is 26 x 40 feet, two and one half stories high, and has a capacity of 35 barrels per day. This mill cost $5,500.
W. A. REEDER, firm of Wiltrout & Reeder, proprietors Bank of Logan, a private institution, was opened for business in the spring of 1880. They do a regular banking business. Eastern correspondents are State Savings Bank, of St. Joseph, Mo., and National Park Bank, of New York City. They loan money on real estate and chattels, and do a general fire insurance business. J. J. Wiltrout is the senior member of the firm. Mr. W. A. Reeder first located in Beloit, Kan., in August, 1870, and engaged in teaching six years, hotel, grain and stock business, thence came to Logan. He was born in Cumberland County, Penn., August 28, 1849, lived in his native county until 1854, and moved with his parents to Fulton County, Ill., and from there to Bloomington, same State, where he lived until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1876 to Miss Eunice H. Andrews, of Beloit, Kan., formerly a resident of LaCrosse, Wis. They are members of the M. E. Church.
S. A. ROBINSON, dealer in a general line of drugs and druggists' sundries, began trade in August, 1877, with a stock of $600. Built his store in 1879 at a cost of $600. Its size is 18 x 30 feet. He now carries a stock of $1,500. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 12, 1840, and lived near his native city. Enlisted in September, 1861, in the Sixth Indiana Regimental Band. He participated in the battles at Green River, Ky., Shiloh, and Perryville. Mustered out in the spring of 1865. He served in the commissary department at Nashville, Tenn., three years, under Capt. S. J. Little. After army life he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and seeds until 1877. Was married in 1881 to Miss Ruth Boyer, of Anderson, Ind. He is a member of Logan Post, No. 177, G. A. R., and is the present Mayor of Logan.
JOHN T. SCHULZE, dealer in general merchandise, grain and feed, began trade in Logan in 1878 with a stock of $3,000. Erected his store in 1879. The store building is 24 x 70 feet, two stories high, and cost $3,100. He now carries a stock of $15,000 to $18,000, occupying two floors of his store. He was born in New York City, April 29, 1834, and was raised in St. Louis, Mo., making that his home until he came to Kansas. He enlisted April 15, 1864, in Co. A. One Hundred and Forty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to clerk at headquarters of General Copeland. Mustered out in the fall of 1865. He then embarked into business at Alton, Ill., in the manufacture of tobacco and cigars, where he continued two years. Afterward followed merchandising at different places in the West. Opened a general store at Cawker City, Kansas, July 4, 1877. He was married in the fall of 1859 to Miss Kate Bullien, of St. Louis, Mo. They have five children: James Edwin, now engaged in mercantile business with his father at Logan; Elnora, Walter H., William and John. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. In 1856 he hired out to the Government as a mule driver, and freighted across the plains from Leavenworth to Salt Lake City, Utah. He followed freighting a number of years. Served as Government expressman some time. Finally run a ferry at Green River, Colorado, where he made over $40,000, but was raided by the Shoshone Indians, when he lost everything and was obliged to flee for his life. He has certainly experienced the varied conditions of Western life.
T. J. STRATTON, dealer in general hardware and farm implements, lumber, and building material, came to Logan August 12, 1879. Began trade in the spring of 1881 with a stock of $2,500. Now carries a stock of $5,000 and employs two men in the business. His store is 25 x 60 feet deep; warehouse 25 x 55 feet deep. He was born in Richland County, Ohio, June 25, 1831 and lived there until 1849. Learned several trades in the mean time. Went to Henry County, Ill., and followed agriculture some time. Went to Oregon in 1852, where he followed farming, mining and lumbering, and in California and Washington Territory. Spent about two and one half years in Idaho in mining, and participated in the Indian war there. He thence returned to Oregon and embarked in merchandising and shipping fruit, etc. Afterward went to Puget Sound with stock, and followed droving there about three years. Then returned to Illinois. Enlisted December 1, 1864, in Co. C, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served about six months. Then followed merchandising in Illinois and the Southwestern States until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1865 to Miss Mary A. Dack, of Rock Island, Ill. They have one son, Dan. G., now assisting in his father's store.
The next town of importance in Phillips County is Marvin, near the center of the county east and west, and a place enjoying considerable trade. The town was laid out in the year 1878, and has had a healthy growth. Its milling interests are larger than in any other place in the county, having two excellent grist mills. This makes the town a good point for the sale of grain, and as good stocks are displayed on the counters of the merchants they enjoy a thriving trade. Marvin contains three general stores, two drug stores, a hotel, blacksmith shop, hardware store and livery stable. The Methodists have a large stone house of worship. The two excellent grist mills have been spoken of in another place.
C. H. EDGECOMBE, real estate, land, loan and insurance agent, notary public and attorney-at-law, came to Marvin in 1879 and embarked in the above business. He was born in England, May 7, 1845. Came with his parents to America in 1848, locating in Maine, where he was raised. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Co. I, Fifteenth Maine Volunteer Infantry, Nineteenth Army Corps; participated in all the battles of his command. He was wounded three times; mustered out July 19, 1865. Returned to Maine and soon entered into the employment of the B. & O. R. R., continuing four years; thence went to Chicago, where he projected and organized the Great Western Utility Company. He afterward entered the law office of B. F. Lincoln as a student, at Ottawa, Ill. Was admitted to the bar in the Supreme Court of Illinois in the fall of 1876. He opened a law office at Omaha, Neb., soon removing to York, Neb., and practiced three years, thence to the present place. He was married in February, 1878, to Miss Estella L. Newell, of New Hampshire. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Encampment Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and Supreme Lodge of the World. He served as United States Commissioner at York, Neb. His wife, E. N. Edgecomb (sic), is proprietress of the drug store, and keeps a general stock of drugs, medicines, and druggists' sundries, etc., and opened trade in 1878.
Dr. I. MILEY, physician and surgeon, Marvin, came to Beloit, Kan., in the early part of 1870, and opened a drug store, remaining in business there until 1879, when he came to Marvin and resumed his profession. He was born in Champaign County, Ohio, December 21, 1845, and was raised in his native county. Was educated at Cincinnati, Medical College of Ohio. He also was a student at Keokuk, Iowa, College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from the latter institution in the class of 1875. From 1868 to 1869 he followed dentistry at Charlestown, Ill., and was for some time a transient artist in that profession. He was married in 1876 to Miss Ella B. Daniels, of Cattaraugus County, N. Y. They have two children, John D. and Grace E.
DR. D. W. STEVENS, dealer in general line of drugs, medicines and druggists' sundries, located at Marvin in the spring of 1881, and embarked in the drug trade with a stock of about $500. Now carries an average stock of $700. He erected his store in the spring 1881, at a cost of $1,050, size of which is 20 x 36 feet. He was born in Wyandotte County, Ohio, June, 23, 1854. His parents with their family, moved to Taylor County, Iowa, in 1856, where he was raised and educated. He made Taylor County his home until the spring of 1881, when he came to Kansas. Was married in 1882 to Miss Eva A. Copeland, of Marvin Kan.