|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
At this point the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, extends in a direction nearly north and south, down the center of a narrow but level valley. Here the town of Carbondale is located, with the business portion of the level land, while the residence part of the city extends far back over the gently sloping hills on both sides of the railroad.
The town is an excellent point for business. All branches of trade are well represented, and in a prosperous condition, made so by the fact that the city is surrounded by a well developed agricultural country. Besides this there are a large number of coal mines in operation all around the town, which contribute particularly to its support.
In the spring of 1869, the Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railroad was completed to this point, and a switch built out for about three-quarters of a mile from the main track, to the coal fields on the farm of J. F. Dodds. Here the railroad received its coal supplies. Coal has been discovered here some years, but only used by those in the immediate vicinity.
Preparations were soon made to open the coal mines on an extended scale, and to build up a town. Therefore a town company was formed, composed of T. J. Peter, then General Superintendent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company, J. F. Dodds, C. P. Dodds, and L. R. Adams, and a town was laid out on the southeast quarter of Section 24, Township 14, Range 15 east. Soon afterward an addition was made on the northside by William Brown. Main Street passes between these divisions. Some time afterward an addition was made on the west side of the railroad by the Lawrence and Topeka Coal Company.
Early in 1870, C. P. Dodds, opened an opposition store, where he had a heavy trade. During the year the town progressed rapidly. E. H. Moore opened a drug store. Dr. C. C. Moore, and Dr. T. M. McClasky located about that time. The first lumber-yard was opened the same year by Klapp & Hilliard, who also built a large store with a hall above. Several other business houses were erected.
In the fall of 1870, bonds were voted to the Lawrence & Carbondale Railroad. Dr. C. C. Moore was the first president of the road, and was instrumental in securing bonds from the county, and from Ridgeway Township. The road was completed and put in operation in 1872. For about three years it did a good business, but the coal business decreasing, the road was abandoned, and preparations made to tear up the track. This was prevented by the citizens, who, under the lead of S. B. Bradford, secured an injunction. Some time afterward the road was again put in operation, and regular trains have since been run, though the line of road is hardly long enough to furnish a paying business.
For several years after the foundation of the town it grew rapidly, and was very prosperous, depending on the mining interest generally for support. This period of prosperity was followed by a few years of depression in business, in consequence of the Osage Carbon Company who operated most of the mines, transferring the heaviest of their mining operations to Osage City; yet during this dull period the town improved slowly, some of the mines being in continual operation.
After the dull season, the old mines were nearly all opened, with many new one, since which time the city has continued to improve, until the population, including those living at Carbon Hill, the base of operations for the Kansas Carbon Company, and adjoining the Carbondale town site, will number fully fifteen hundred.
The town is now one of the most prosperous ones of the county, and constant improvements are being made. The population is made up of all nationalities. The morals of the people are generally good, although there are occasional affrays among the rougher of the floating class of coal miners.
Other than the rapid development of the town there have been but few events of historical interest. The most startling occurrence was the burning of a shaft in W. L. Green's coal mines, in which nine men lost their lives. This occurred May 6, 1881. The mine was thirty-five feet deep, and the shaft built of planks. To one side of this was an air ventilator, at the base of which a fire was kept burning to create a draft. There being indications of damp, a boy was instructed to keep a good fire. The soot took fire in the flue, and soon the shaft was on fire. The boy saw it and called a man who tore off a board to get at the fire, but this created so much of a draft that the shaft was soon in flames, which prevented the escape of the men. From the outside salt and water was poured down, but it was two hours before it was safe to go down. Superintendent Raby and others went down, and at last brought up all but three. All were nearly suffocated, and three were dead. Those remaining had been ascertained to be dead, and the damp had become so bad that it was decided to leave them, when three men from Scranton, hoping to save them went down with a guide, but only the latter returned. The names of the dead were Michael Mullen, Sr., Michael Mullen, Jr., J. P. Hungate, Charles Jones, A. Warner, J. McDonald, George Evans, A. Benedict, and N. McGonigal. The three last named were from Scranton.
Carbondale was incorporated as a city of the third class on October 15, 1872. C. C. Moore was the first Mayor; A. V. Sparhawk, Clerk; J. R. Cowen, Treasurer; J. S. Conwell, Police Judge, and E. Platt, Marshal. The Council was composed of M. T. Perrine, E. W. Teft, George Mullan, S. S. Stackhouse and G. W. Luman. The city is now in a prosperous condition, with surplus money in its treasury, and only low taxes are now levied. The present city officers are as follows: Mayor, R. H. Bartlett; Police Judge, J. G. Ellis; City Clerk, P. V. Griggs; Treasurer, O. J. Ganger; Marshal, George W. Arrel; Councilmen: R. B. McKee, R. H. McClair, Fred Roessler, William Irvin and Charles Davis.
The educational interest of the town have always been maintained, and kept up to a high standard. Before the town was established a school district has been formed, and for the first two years school was taught in the schoolhouse outside the limits of the town. In 1872 a large two-story stone schoolhouse was built at a cost of $6,000. A. V. Sparhawk was the first as well as the present Principal. An addition was built in 1882. When complete, the cost of the entire building will be $10,000. The number of departments in the school are five, each presided over by an efficient teacher.
The coal fields surround the town on all sides, and besides the numerous shafts, an extensive business is carried on in strippings, drifts and slopes. There are probably as many as fifty locations where coal is dug, without shafts having been sunk. Many of the leading merchants of the town own coal fields. During the winter a large number of men are employed in these fields, outside the regular mines.
The greater number of the mines are owned and operated by the Kansas Carbon Company, who own eight shafts on Carbon Hill, just east of the townsite. The first shaft was sunk in 1869. Here in the busiest season about 400 men are employed. The average shipments are thirty carloads per day. Besides the above shafts the company has two near Scranton
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the fall of 1870, with a membership of fifteen or twenty. Rev. Jesse Brockway was the first pastor. The present house of worship was built in the fall of 1874, at a cost of $1,000. The present membership is over fifty. Rev. H. A. L. King is the present pastor.
The Carbondale Flouring Mill is owned and operated by Metzler & Co. It has a full grinding capacity of 900 bushels of wheat and 200 of corn per day, and when busiest ten men are employed. The building was once a grain elevator.
The Carbondale Bank was incorporated in May, 1881, with an authorized capital of $50,000, and the following officers: J. S. Danford, President; O. C. Smith, Cashier; J. S. Danford, S. B. Bradford, F. O'Donnell, S. Minchel, A. M. Sutherland, James Dickinshuts, James W. E______ (sic), J. Y. Urie and R. B. Mckee (sic), Directors. In November, 1881, James Dickinshuts succeeded J. S. Danford as President, J. D. Salmons having assumed charge of the bank in June, 1881, and being its acting President until it was re-organized. He is now Cashier, and also a Stockholder and Director.
The hotels of the city, exclusive of the many boarding houses and dining halls, are four in number, viz., The Sutherland Hotel, A. M. Sutherland, proprietor; Merchants Hotel, Mrs. M. A. Hunt, proprietor; the Cottage Hotel, C. A. Ellis, proprietor, and the Ohio House, Mrs. C. H. Green, proprietor.
The Carbondale Independent was established July 7, 1880, by McClure and McMonigal. In January, 1881, H. C. McMonigal bought McClure's interest, and continued the publication of the paper, until February 15, 1882, when Bush Bros. purchased the paper. As its name indicates it is independent in politics, and an eight column folio.
The Carbondale Lodge, No. 70, A., F. & A. M., was organized October 22, 1874, with the following officers: Jesse Brockway, W. M.; Edward E. Thomas, S. W.; H. W. Jenness, J. W. The charter members were: E. E. Thomas, H. W. Jenness, C. C. Moore, P. B. Griggs, John R. Cowen, Alexander Thomas, E. J. Baker, J. V. Reed, George Doel and Jonas Stafford. Present membership is about thirty, and the condition of the lodge is flourishing.
Carbondale Lodge, No. 72, A. O. U. W., was instituted March 4, 1881, with the following officers: L. K. Eakin, P. W. M.; J. Y. Urie, M. W.; John Prescott, F.; William Stover, O; J. G. Ellis, F.; C. A. Ellis, Rec., and J. W. Wright, Recorder. The names of the other charter members were: J. A. DeLong, C. V. Bradley, Alexander Montgomery, Martin Hiesel, Thomas Leachman, R. B. McKee, F. Degroodt and William Stover. The present membership is twenty-one, and the lodge is in a flourishing condition.
Carbondale Lodge, No. 102, I. O. O. F., was instituted October 15, 1873, with the following officers: Joseph Prescott, N. G.; John Prescott, V. G.; George Milner, R. S.; Alexander Thomas, P. S.; and Ira Philbrick, Treasurer. The names of the other charter members were: George Doel, J. D. Wood and Martin Hanson.
Friendship Lodge, No. 2,340, K. of H., was instituted November 27, 1880, by T. B. Kingsley, Dep. G. D., of the State. The organization numbered thirty-five members. The first officers were: S. B. Bradford, P. D.; R. J. Coane, D.; J. W. Edgar, V. D.; J. A. Robinson, A. D.; Alonzo Stone, Y.; F. M. McClure, Rep.; F. D. Stevens, F. Rep.; S. J. Irvin, G.; E. M. Campbell, S. The lodge now numbers thirty-one members, and is in a prosperous condition.
St. Andrew's Lodge, No. 40, K. of P., was instituted June 23, 1881, with thirty-six members. The first officers were: Patrick Ward, C. C., S. Winchell, K. of R & S; O. Sutherland, V. C.; Frank O'Donnell, P. C.; Y. G. Muir, P.; C. V. Bradley, M. of E.; Isaiah Jones, M. of A. The lodge is prosperous, and has thirty-five members.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BARTLETT - HOY).
RICHARD H. BARTLETT, postmaster, came here in 1872, engaged one year as clerk for Carbon Coal and Mining Company; then clerked for John R. Cowen; remained with Cowen until 1876, and in company with Mr. Green bought out Cowen and was appointed postmaster at the same time. In 1879 bought out Mr. Green and his brother, and July 19, 1881, sold to Green. Was born in Bangor, Me., April 26, 1835. Remained there until the spring of 1856. Was on the Penobscot River some four years as wharfman. Removed to Oquawka, Ill., and clerked three years. In 1859 moved to Denver, Col. Returned to Illinois in 1861 and enlisted in First Illinois Cavalry. Was captured at Lexington, Mo., and paroled. Was mustered out in 1862 as Orderly Sergeant. Went into livery business one year in Kirkwood, Ill. Then went to Atlanta, Iowa, and worked at the carpenter trade three years. Was married in 1863 at Cameron, Ill., to Miss Mary Gordon. Is a member of A., F. & A. M. Was elected Mayor of Carbondale in 1882. Is a member of Board of Directors of Carbondale Bank.
J. A. BORIN, farmer and coal dealer, P. O. Carbondale, located on the southeast quarter of Section 30; has 160 acres; came to Kansas in the spring of 1859 and pre-empted one mile west of where he is now located. Returned to Vermillion County, Ind., in the fall of 1860. Enlisted July 10, 1862, in Company A, Seventy-first Indiana. Was with the command at Richmond, Ky., where only 250 escaped. Was transferred to Indianapolis, Ind., and finally to Invalid Corps, where he remained until the close of the war. Then studied for the ministry and subsequently became a licensed exhorter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Was married May 13, 1875, at Carbondale, Kan., to Miss Jennie L. Palmer of Mason county, Ill., and have had two children - Tillie Ruth, who died October 13, 1882, aged three and one-half, and James Albert.
C. V. BRADLEY, dealer in furniture, undertaking goods, wall paper, paints, window glass and general house furnishing goods, carries from 43,000 to $5,000 stock and sales run from $7,000 to $9,000 per annum. He commenced business with the first and pioneer furniture and undertaking establishment in Carbondale. He was born in Clearfield, Pa., February 18, 1848. The only schooling he ever received was, all told, not exceeding six months by attending a district school of only four months' duration for the whole year and one and one-half miles to go, and only from three to six weeks during a whole term could he be spared from farm or timbering; but he made good use of his spare time cultivating his mind and in the winter of his sixteenth year he taught a four months' school; but not liking the business - when the term expired he was engaged to teach - he quit teaching and in the following November went to learn the trade of cabinet making, where he learned to manufacture furniture, coffins, etc., by hand out of the rough. When nineteen his father moved to Philipsburg, Centre County, where he was engaged most of his time with his father in the wholesale confectionery business for nearly two years. He then left Centre County and followed working at his trade in various parts of Pennsylvania. He was married at Utica, Pa., March 21, 1872, to Miss E. J. McKay, whose father died in Libby Prison, and whose great grandfather is now living at the advanced age of one hundred years and three months. He then went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania and remained at Oil City, Pa., where he carried on business until he came to Kansas in June, 1878. Mr. Bradley belongs to Knights of Pythias and is C. C.; also a member of K. of H. Mr. Bradley is the youngest and only one living of a family of nine children. Has one brother buried at Pomona, Kan,; died from the effects of wounds and exposure at the battle of Antietam. His other brothers and two sisters are buried in Pennsylvania. His father is living at the age of eighty-three. His mother died two years ago seventy-two years of age. Mr. Bradley is of French and Scottish descent.
WILLIAM BROWN, farmer and stock-dealer, located a half mile north of Carbondale, on Section 18, Township 14, Range 16; came to Kansas in March, 1859, and located eight miles east of Carbondale; remained there one year and removed to Section 24, Township 14, Range 15, the present town site of Carbondale, in March, 1860. Remained there until 1865 and then removed to the northwest quarter of Section 19, Township 14, Range 16, which he still owns and which now yields paying quantities of coal. In 1879 Mr. Brown bought his present farm of 160 acres and in 1880 completed his residence which occupies a commanding position and is the best residence in this section of the country and cost $3,000. Mr. Brown was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, August 15, 1882. When two years old his parents moved to Weston, Ind; lived there eight years and moved to Southern Wisconsin. He was married in Green County, Wis., in 1855 to Miss Silver of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Melissa, Alice, Frank and Barnum. Mr. Brown has fed and shipped stock extensively and usually feeds about 100 head.
HON. D. B. BURDICK, dealer in agricultural implements and stock, came to Kansas in April, 1857. He located about ten miles southeast of Carbondale on One Hundred and Ten Mile creek in Fairfax Township. Here he pre-empted a quarter section of land which was claimed by a border ruffian from Missouri who attempted to drive Mr. Burdick off with threats, but failed. Mr. Burdick removed to Carbondale in 1880. Was elected a member of the Legislature in 1874 from the Fifty-ninth District, and re-elected in 1876. He was appointed Sheriff in 1859 and held the office one term. Mr. BARDICK commanded a company of militia during the war and participated in the raid against Price. He was born in Cortland County, N. Y., April 17, 1830. When nineteen moved to Kane County, Ill., and resided there and in Edgar County, engaged in farming most of the time. He was married in the spring of 1862 in this county to Miss Emilie Merritt. They had one child - Darius B. His wife died in 1872. He was married again in May, 1874, in Osage County to Miss Elizabeth Warner of England. They have two children - Cary B. and Lulu M. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. In 1882 he shipped about seventy-five car-loads of stock. In 1881 he sold about $40,000 worth of agricultural implements. Mr. Burdick began the breeding of fine stock probably earlier than any one in Osage County, introducing thoroughbred Durham cattle as early as 1866 and had some high grade cattle in 1860. He now has a her numbering twenty-five head of shorthorns.
WILLIAM BURNS, P. O. Carbondale, located on Section 30, Township 14, Range 16; came to the county in 1869 and began work for the Osage Carbon Company. In 1872 was appointed "pit-boss," and has since been in that position and also engaged in farming. In 1874 bought his present farm which is all fenced and well improved. Was born in Northumberland County, England, June 5, 1845. When ten years of age he commenced coal mining which he has since followed. Came to America in 1863 and located in Pennsylvania, where he remained until coming to Kansas. Was married in April, 1871, at Carbondale, Kan., to Miss Mary R. Lathrop, of Devonshire, England, and has four children - William H., Cora, Robert and George. Is Treasurer of the A., F. & A. M., and also a member of I. O. O. F.
EDGAR G. BUSH was born August 1, 1860, in Freeville, Tompkins Co., N. Y., where he remained engaged in farming until November 21, 1878, when he removed to Burlingame, Kan. In March, 1879, he commenced work in the Burlingame Chronicle office. In 1880 he commenced work in the Leader office, Emporia, and after a few months, returned to Burlingame, where he had charge of the Chronicle office until February 15, 1882, when he bought the Independent. Was married October 12, 1882, to Miss Anna Van Dyke, of Burlingame.
J. S. CALLEN, attorney at-law, of the firm of Asher & Callen, Burlingame and Carbondale, Kan. Mr. Callen was born in Davis County, Kan., February 3, 1861, and is the youngest son now living of Hon. A. W. Callen, better known as "Old Grizzly," of Junction City, Kan. Mr. Callen graduated from the Junction City high school in February, 1876. Began the study of law the following year in the office of McClure & Humphrey of that city and was admitted to practice at the February term, 1882, in the Supreme Court of Topeka, and the following fall in the United States Circuit Court, District of Kansas, the youngest attorney admitted by those courts in the State. While pursuing his law studies he accepted a position as teacher in the Junction City grammar school and also taught in the Normal. In 1879 he accepted the chair of mathematics and penmanship in the West Plain Seminary, Mo. Was afterward appointed by State Superintendent of Public Instruction as bond clerk and filled that position acceptably for one year. In 1882 he was appointed by A. H. Andrews & Co., of Chicago, as their attorney for Kansas, which position he still retains, at the same time residing and practicing at Carbondale. Is also connected with E. G. Bush in the real estate business at that place.
A. CARR owns a one-third interest in the Carbondale Stream Mills. Is also engaged in grain trade. Came to Kansas in 1865, locating on a farm four miles east of the city. Was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., May 26, 1837. Remained there until grown, engaged in farming and came direct to Kansas. Enlisted in 1862 in Company K, One Hundred and Twelfth New York. Was with his command at Cold Harbor, Charleston, Fort Somter (sic) and Fort Fisher. Was slightly wounded at Cold Harbor. Served until the close of the war. Was married in 1861, in Chautauqua County, N. Y., to Miss Rosetta Martin, and has five children - Minnie, Bertha, Stephen, Charlie and Edward.
D. P. CLEMENT, farmer, P. O. Carbondale, located on southeast quarter Section 31, Township 14, Range 16, eighty acres, about six acres of coal land. He came to Kansas in 1858, and pre-empted this land; removed to California in 1859, and remained six years, and returned to Kansas. He has resided in the State about fifteen years and ten years in the county. He was born in Orange County, Vermont, in 1835, remained there until twenty-two years of age, and then came West. He has been twice married - first, in 1866, at Manchester, N. H., to Miss Sarah Copp, and had one child, Arthur. Mrs. Clement died at Topeka, in 1869. He was married again at Alma, Wabaunsee County, in 1871, to Miss Mary Richey, of Peru, Ind. He is Treasurer of School District No. 91 since its organization.
JOHN G. COOPER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Carbondale. He owns 800 acres of land, located on Sections 22 and 34, Township 14, Range 16, about 500 acres of which are under cultivation. He has some fifty head of cattle, and is keeping abreast of the time in the improvement of his stock. Mr. Cooper was born in Kalamazoo County, Mich., September 4, 1884, his father being Joel P. Cooper, of Yates County, N. Y., his mother's name being Marcia V. Gibbs, of Allegany County, N. Y. In 1864 Mr. Cooper went to the Rocky Mountains, returning to Michigan, and removing to Kansas in 1868. He was married in 1871, at Hume, Allegany County, N. Y., to Miss Susan S. Mourse, and they have four children - Allen L., Persia E., Sarah V. and John Joel. What was formerly known as Kinney Station was removed to Mr. Cooper's land soon after the completion of the L. & C. Railroad, and is now known as Cooperville.
J. M. CURRY, flour and feed store, commenced business in 1880. Came to the State in 1873, locating in Junction Township, Osage County, where he engaged in farming. Was born in Coles County, Illinois, July 28, 1839; removed to Bates County, Missouri, and resided one year, and also in Hickory County one year. Was married February 23, 1858, in Coles County, Illinois, to Miss Margaret Ellis, a native of that county, and has one son, Ellis. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Company G, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois, as a private. Was stationed at Memphis, Tenn., doing garrison duty, and at the end of the five months was discharged for disability. Mr. Currie's sales will average about $1,000 a month. He handles Topeka and Carbondale flour; is a member of the Baptist Church.
JAMES DICKINSHUTS, President of the Carbondale Bank, was born in Sidney, Ohio, October 11, 1847, living on a farm until attaining his majority, when he began learning blacksmithing, which he has since followed. In 1869 he came to Kansas, locating at Topeka in March of that year, remaining there until 1873, when he removed to Carbondale, shortly after the town was surveyed. He has been a member of the City Council, and has served three terms as Mayor of the city. He has been also for several years, and is now, a member of the Board of Education. He is a member of Carbondale Lodge, No. 70, A., F. & A. M., of which he has been Master the past four years. He was married at Wakarusa, Shawnee Co., Kan., February 15, 1872, to Miss Pluma Trice, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children - Jesse, Fred, and Edgar.
ROBERT R. DUNBAR, attorney-at-law, was born in Breckinridge County, Ky., August 17, 1821(?). When six years of age his parents moved to Peoria County, Ill., where Mr. Dunbar remained until 1863. He had no opportunities of attending school until twenty-four years of age, when he entered school at Princeton, Ill. Began the study of law in 1862 in the office of George W. Stepp, Esq., of Princeton, and remained there one year. Came to Kansas, and located in Lyon County in the stock business. After the Lawrence raid he removed to Kansas City, Mo., and opened an office there; but, owning to poor health, soon after removed to a farm in Jackson County, Mo. Remained there three years, and removed to Lawrence in 1868, and remained about ten years, engaged in the real-estate business. In the fall of 1872 he was employed by a St. Louis commission house, where he remained two years, and then engaged in similar business in Kansas City one year. He was admitted to the bar in Lyon County, Kan., in 1863. Was married to his first wife in Illinois in 1851, she dying the same year. Was married to his present wife in Princeton, Ill., in 1858, and has five children - J. M., George T. C., Elizabeth A., Claude May, and Daisy Pearl.
LEWIS K. EAKIN, blacksmith and wagon-maker, located in Carbondale, October 10, 1878. He was born near Lock Haven, Clinton Co., Pa., December 29, 1851. When eight years of age he removed to Marshall County, Iowa, where he resided some six years, and removed to Eldora, Hardin County, and learned his trade. He was married in Eldora, in 1876, to Miss Ella Stall Smith, a native of Dixon, Ill. He is Secretary and Lodge Deputy of Carbondale Lodge, No. 102, I. O. O. F. Is also Recorder and Deputy of the A. O. U. W., No. 72.
J. G. ELLIS, of the firm of Ellis & Co., dealers in groceries, and also deal largely in wheat and corn. They began business in May, 1877, and in 1882 shipped about 300 cars of wheat and 275 cars of corn. Mr. Ellis came to Kansas in 1871, locating on a farm fifteen miles southeast of Carbondale. He remained there six years, and came to Carbondale in 1877. He was born in Coles County, Ill., January 11, 1843, and remained there until twenty-eight years of age. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois. He was with his command at the siege of Vicksburg and Jackson, Miss., in 1863. In the spring of 1864 he was with Black's command in the Red River expedition, and was captured at Sabine Cross Roads, La., April 8, 1864, and held as a prisoner at Camp Tyler, Tex., until the close of the war. He was married February 1, 1866, in Coles County, Ill., to Miss Mary J. Checkley, of that county, and has six children - Marion A., Thomas A., Catharine, Charles, Jessie, and John. Mr. Ellis is a member of the G. A. R., K. of P., and A. O. U. W.
O. J. GAUGER, druggist and stationer, located in Carbondale in November, 1878. During his first year's residence there he had charge of the lumber-yard of William Clapp. At the expiration of that time he was appointed deputy postmaster, holding that position until November, 1881, when he purchased the drug stock of A. C. Brown. He carries a stock valued at $,2,200, consisting of drugs, druggists; sundries, stationery, etc., and does an annual business of $8,000. He was born in Turbotville, Northumberland County, Pa., February 11, 1856, there receiving his early education, and afterward graduating from Davis Commercial College at Williamsport. For three years he was engaged in teaching in Montour County, Pa. Mr. Gauger was elected Township Clerk in 1882, and was appointed City Treasurer in May of the same year. He is a member and Treasurer of Friendship Lodge, No. 2,340, K. of H.
W. L. GREEN, dealer in general merchandise, and also extensively interested in coal mining. He came here in 1872, and began mining at Carbon Hill, continuing in that business until 1882. In 1880 he opened a stock of hardware in Carbondale, which he sold in 1882. In July, 1881, the present stock of general merchandise was opened by Green & McKee, and in August, 1882, Mr. Green bought McKee's interest. He carries a stock of about $12,000, and has an annual trade of about $60,000. Was born in Henderson County, Ill., April 30, 1852; remained there until 1868, engaged with his father in stock-raising and nursery business, and they then moved to Topeka, Kan. Was married in 1876, at Carbondale, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Fagan, a native of Indiana, and has one child - Johnnie. Was elected a member of the City Council in 1882.
MRS. R. GREEN, proprietress of the Ohio House, was born in Steuben County, N. Y., October 6, 1840. She remained there until about sixteen years of age. On April 10, 1856, she was married at Bradford, N. Y., to C. H. Green. She came to Kansas soon afterward, and located at Ridgeway, Osage County. She came to Carbondale in 1871, and opened the Ohio House, which is a two-story frame building, with fourteen rooms and eight sleeping apartments.
PETER V. GRIGGS, Justice of the Peace and City Clerk, also proprietor of Griggs' Dining Hall. Located here in 1872. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1873; held the position until 1879, and was re-elected in 1883. Was appointed City Clerk in April, 1882. Was born in Genesee County, N. Y., August 20, 1840. When two years of age moved to Canada, remaining there until seventeen; then went on the lakes as seaman, and served as clerk and steward for eight seasons; quit the lakes in 1866. Kept books for a Chicago firm for four years. Was married in 1868 in Toronto, Canada, to Miss Ellen A. Murray, and has four children - Alice, James Katie and Gustie. Is a member of the K. of P. Lodge, No. 2,340, and is Chaplain of the Lodge. Is also engaged in real estate, loan and collection business
W. C. HENDRIX, proprietor of the Cottage Hotel. The building is 78x56 feet, two stories, with an ell 18x32 feet. House has sixteen rooms and fourteen sleeping apartments. Mr. Hendrix bought the house November 20, 1882. Came to Kansas in 1870, and located on a farm near Gardner, Johnson County. Remained there seven years, and removed to Miami County, and remained there until coming to Carbondale. Was born in Gilford County, N. C., in 1850. Remained in his native county until coming to Kansas, and engaged in farming and cotton-spinning. Was married in 1873 at Gardner, Kan., to Miss T. J. Clinton, and has four children, all girls.
B. F. HOY, meat market, opened business in 1880. He was born in Schuylkill, Pa., April 3, 1839. Removed to Northumberland County, Pa., in 1850. He was married in 1861 at Milton, Pa., to Miss Mary E. Hagg, and has four children - Lizzie C., Ella M., Marion G. and J. Newton.