|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALLEN - HYSINGER).
R. N. ALLEN, of the firm of Bacon & Allen, real estate and loan brokers, is a native of Green Castle, Putnam County, Ind. In 1869, he graduated from the Asbury University of law department, coming to Kansas with his brother, H. C. Allen. In 1870, locating in Chanute, then called New Chicago, and opening a law office. His brother returned to Indiana in 1874, but he continued his law office, having L. L. Hartman as a partner from 1876 to 1877, when the Southern Kansas Loan Company was formed, consisting of Bacon, Bailey & Allen; this firm doing an immense loan and estate business in the years 1877-78-79, loaning $350,000 on real estate. In 1882, the firm changed to the above heading. They report money much cheaper, and real estate stronger. They are now disposing of from forty to fifty good farms annually, located in Neosho, Allen, Wilson, Montgomery, Chautauqua, Elk and Greenwood. Mr. F. Bacon located in Wilson County in 1869, on a farm in Cedar Valley, now residing in Chanute, and owning a farm two miles north of Chanute, on the Neosho River.
GEORGE W. ASHLEY, firm of Hatcher & Ashley, furniture store, is a native of Shelby County, Ky., born in 1829; in early life moving to Indiana, and from there to Kansas in 1858, locating in Pottawatomie County; while here, he saw old John Brown, as he took his last lot of refugee negroes north to Iowa. In those days the Eastern people still spelled Kansas with a C and z. When the war broke out, he got up a company, composed of his old friends from Prairie City, and of friends in Franklin County, where he then lived, and was mustered in on the spot where Ottawa now stands, serving in the Twelfth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Company D, of which he was the Captain; he served till the end of the war, then returning to the farm. In 1867, he moved to Wilson County, where he grew his first vineyard, and an extensive orchard; he sold out, moving to a farm on Buffalo Creek, where he started a fine nursery; in 1872, moving to Neosho County, bringing part of his nursery with him. He is now on the committee for vegetables, of the State Horticultural Society, and is an enthusiast in forest tree growing. He moved to Chanute in 1881, and went into his present business. In Indiana he married his first wife, who is deceased. He married a second time to Mrs. Vashti Truesdale. He has two sons and one daughter.
W. E. BARKER, M. D., is a native of Birmingham, England. He commenced the study of medicine, and practiced there, and in 1869, came to America, locating in Pottsville, Pa., afterwards in Cleveland, Ohio, where he practiced until he attended and graduated from the American Medical College of St. Louis, Mo., in 1876, when he came to Chanute and entered the medical firm of Burns & Barker. In 1877, moved to Thayer, and there established a good practice, returned to Chanute in 1881, he entered the firm of Brown & Barker, dissolving in 1882, September 1, and has practiced alone since. In February 7, 1877, he was admitted a member of the State Medical Association, and in 1879. June 10, a certificate to practice from the State Eclectic Board. November 22, 1881, was appointed surgeon of the Unites States Mutual Accident Association of the City of New York.
JOHN I. BARKLEY, general grocery and grain dealer, is a native of New York City; while there he was in the grocery business, and during the war was Captain of the Sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company C; he served until the end of the war, returning to New York in 1865, where he remained until 1875, when he came to Kansas, locating in Chanute, and going into the grain business, building the first grain elevator here. In 1878, he opened his grocery store or general merchandise establishment; the best years he reports as 1875 and 1878, when he shipped from three to five car loads a day of corn, and in 1879 he shipped eighty-three cars of beans; having a good grocery trade, he sold the elevator to Mr. Wickard, in 1882. Mr. Barkley is a charter member of the K. Of H., which order was organized in 1877, February 8.
M. BAILEY, banker, is a native of Ohio, born in 1835. In 1851, he moved to Iowa; while here he studied medicine, graduating from the medical department of the State University and Keokuk, in 1858, and located at Emporia, where he practiced, being the first physician in the place. He was surgeon of the First Regiment, Kansas Volunteers; he was surgeon of the Nineteenth in 1868, when the Indian expedition was organized. He had moved to Topeka in 1864, and practiced there until 1870, with Dr. Stormont, coming to Chanute in 1870, then called New Chicago, selecting a site for the bank on the corner of Fourth and High streets, and opened the banking house of M. Bailey & Co., in January, 1871. In 1873, he built the first brick dwelling-house in Neosho County. He married in 1864, Miss Jarboe, of Muscatine. They have four sons and one daughter.
T. BARTL, M. D., is a native of Davis County, Ind., born in 1845. The doctor graduated from Rush Medical College of Chicago, in 1870, coming West, he located in Galesburg, Neosho County, where he practiced until 1880, when he went East and graduated from the Central College of Indianapolis, Ind. Returning to Kansas, he entered the medical firm of Bartl & Hickey, physicians and surgeons, Chanute. In August, 1882, they dissolved partnership, Dr. Bartl practicing alone since. He married Miss Apt; they now have a family of three children. He is a charter member and examining physician of A. O. U. W. organization. In 1881, he had the misfortune of losing his library by fire, but is now replacing it as fast as possible.
JOHN CARTER, dry goods, groceries and grain dealer, is a native of Ohio, was raised in Indiana. He came to Kansas in 1872, locating in Wilson County on the Mound Slope; this farm was very fertile. In 1875, the firm of Carter Bros. & Demuth built the Austin Flour Mills on the Neosho River, which they run till 1879, when Mr. Carter sold his interest and commenced buying grain in Chanute. In 1880 he opened his grocery establishment, and in 1881 opened his dry goods house. He is now doing a business in his stores of $30,000 per annum. The firm being Carter & Son. In 1882 he shipped sixty acres of corn, besides 3,000 boxes of peaches. There are five Carter brothers - one a farmer in this county, one in Kansas City, Mo., two in Indiana, a lawyer and a farmer, and J. Carter making the fifth.
G. E. COLE, livery and stock dealer, is a native of Indiana, born in 1855. His father, Hiram Cole, moved the family to Missouri in 1859, and in 1860 brought them all to Neosho County, Kan. There were then six children, G. E. being the youngest of the boys. They settled on a claim on the Neosho River, about two miles southeast of where Chanute now stands; this claim was then occupied by the Osage Indians, great numbers living around their cabin in their traditional wigwams. In this historic place the children grew up, Lemuel, the eldest, taking a claim near here where he now lives; M. W., the next brother, is now in the dry goods business in Mount Valley; one of his sisters, now Mrs. Pierce, lives near the fair grounds; another, Mrs. G. L. Harrison, resides in Phillips County, and the youngest, Mrs. Houstin, on a farm north of town. G. E. finished his education at the Baldwin University in 1860, then teaching school a while. He went into the livery business in 1878 with his brother, M. W., also buying and selling stock. Mr. Cole lost his mother in 1870, his father in 1869. He is a member of I. O. of O. F., charter member of the A. O. U. W. and also of the K. of H.
W. J. COULTER, proprietor of transfer and 'bus line, is a native of Allegheny City, Allegheny Co., Penn., born in 1833 was raised in his native county and in Ohio. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Forty-seventy Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C, served as Corporal, and on returning home went to work at his trade as stonecutter, moving to Illinois where he took a farm, working also at his trade until 1870, in August, his family arriving in the month of November; having bought land in Allen County which he lost, he was about stranded so he paid for a house and lot in New Chicago, $200, by hauling lumber, living in his little old house until he was able to build his present residence in 1879. His business has gradually increased year by year until he has accumulated enough for a comfortable home. Mr. Coulter has had the express and mail business for years, besides the transfer business of the city. He has been married twice, first in 1855, losing his wife in 1862; he then married Miss Jane Riley, of Ohio. By his first marriage he had three children, two of whom are living, and by the second four, of whom three are living. Mr. Coulter is a member of the I. O. of O. F., charter member of the Masonic Lodge, also of the K. of P. and A. O. U. W., being a member of the K. of H. also.
JOHN CROSS, horticulturist, is a native of the city of Bath, England, was born in 1840. In 1859, he graduated with the class of that year from Corpus Christi College. The same year immigrating with his father, James Cross, and locating near Cleveland, Ohio. Went into the army in 1861; after the war, went into business in Ela, Ohio, where he was known as an active business man, building several dwelling-houses and business blocks. In 1878 he moved to Chanute, Kan., and purchased his present home of 110 acres, known as "Cedar Lawn." He has here eighty acres in fruit and many thousands of beautiful evergreens and miles of avenues; a canning establishment, evaporating houses and machinery, thus disposing of his immense fruit crops. James Cross, his father, is likewise located here, and was at one time noted as a successful breeder of Hereford cattle; in fact he was the pioneer of Hereford cattle in America, and many of our most noted herds got their start from the herds of James Cross. He has built the large block, known as Cross Block, in Chanute, and is at present writing constructing perhaps the handsomest block in southern Kansas. John A. Cross has been an active member of the K. of H., K. of P., Masons, I. O. O. F. and Royal Arcanum, and was at onetime a member of the celebrated Fifth Regiment Band of Ohio.
G. H. BROWN, M. D., is a native of New York, born in 1848. When thirteen years of age he lost his right leg, which was amputated just above the knee, in consequence of an injury received while playing base ball. In 1861, he commenced reading medicine under Dr. Potier, of Geneva, H. Y. On coming to Kansas in 1870, he located in Wilson county, near Buffalo, on a farm and commenced a preliminary practice, attended with great success, moving to Chanute in 1874, he opened his office. There were practicing at this time, nine other physicians. Dr. Brown is now the only one of the number practicing here, making him the oldest practicing doctor in Chanute. In 1876 he had a partner Dr. Goltry. From 1877, he practiced alone until 1881 when Dr. Barker entered into partnership, they dissolved, however, September 1, 1882. In 1879, Dr. Brown was admitted to practice by the State Medical Eclectic Association as a licentiate. He is a member of the State Eclectic Medical Association. At the municipal election, held April 2, 1883, Dr. Brown was chosen Mayor of Chanute, by the largest majority ever given a candidate for that office. His opponent was R. N. Allen, a gentleman whose popularity has always proved sufficient to secure him success in political undertakings, and for Dr. Brown to surpass him by 140 majority in a total vote of 264 (the highest vote ever given for Mayor), proves a degree of confidence in the new Mayor by the people which is indicative of substantial merit. He married Miss Ida Talcott, of Burlington, Iowa. They have three sons. The doctor commenced on nothing, and in his practice has furnished his family with a comfortable home. Has an excellent medical library, and a complete collection of surgical instruments. He is a member of the Good Templars, Grange, I. O. O. F., the E. A. U., and a charter member of the K. of P. Lodge of Chanute, and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
J. R. DETWILER, editor and proprietor of the Chanute Chronicle, was born in Owens County, Ind., January 11, 1848. In 1854 the family removed to Shawnee County, Kan. In 1871 he went to Osage Mission, and began dealing in grain, which he subsequently gave up to engage in the sale of agricultural implements. From October, 1878, to November, 1880, he edited and published the Temperance Banner, a sheet devoted to the advocacy of the Prohibitory Amendment. With the success of the measure, the publication of the paper ended. In May, 1882, he purchased the Chanute Democrat, and began the publication of the Chronicle. He was married in October, 1871, to Miss F. M. Craigue, a native of Vermont. They have a family of two children, aged nine and seven years.
F. FREWERT, general grocery. Native of Prussia, Germany, born in 1830. He came to America, landing at New Orleans, December 25, 1848, and coming to St. Louis, January 1, 1849. In 1860 he located in Chanute, Neosho Co., Kan., and entered business in his little old store. he built up a good trade, making quick sales and small profits his motto. In 1883 he built his present fine business house, and stocked up anew, doing now a flourishing trade, also shipping large quantities of fruit in season. While he was located in Illinois he married, and now has seven children, three girls and four boys.
A. GEIST & SON, dry goods and clothing, etc. This is one of the first firms established in Chanute, putting up his building in July of 1870, where they continued doing business till 1875, when they moved their establishment to their present stand, now doing a good business of some $33,000 for 1882. Mr. Geist is a native of Poland, born in 1822. On coming to America he located in St. Louis. When the War of the Rebellion broke out he went to Fort Smith and acted as sutler (sic), but returned to St. Louis in 1864, then going to Yazoo City, where he remained till 1866, going to St. Louis, then to Illinois; finally coming to Kansas, he located at Chanute. His son Zelky was born in 1860, in St. Louis, Mo.
A. B. HEDRICK, M. D., was born in Clarke County, Ohio, in 1844. His father was a German from Hanover. His mother was A. Morris, a descendant a directline, from the Morris' famous in the Revolutionary times, two of whom signed the Declaration of Independence. Her great grandfather was Senator Morris, of Ohio. In 1862 he enlisted in the Sixtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry for one year. Was captured at Harper's Ferry, paroled and started West to fight the Indians. Reaching Chicago, and the Indian war being over, he was discharged with his regiment. In 1864 here-enlisted in the Eighth Ohio Volunteer Veteran Cavalry and served until the close of the war. He studied medicine with R. Rector, M. D., Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy in the Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio, at which institution he attended his first course of lectures, during the winter of 1866-67. He practiced medicine hear Indianapolis, Ind., for twelve years, graduating in medicine in the meantime at the Indiana Medical College, which was then the medical department of Asbury University. Removed to Kansas in the spring of 1879, since which time he has been located at Chanute in Neosho County.
HOWELL & MORRISON, general grocers. In tracing this firm to its establishment we find it was started by K. P. Krouse, then sold to Cox & Son, afterward becoming Hart & Broods, then Hart Bros., in 1882 Hart & Morrison, and December 5, 1882, assumed the present title of Howell & Morrison. From a small beginning it has become a fine business in the present year. Mr. Morrison is a native of Kentucky and came to Kansas in 1881. Mr. Howell is a native of New Hartford, Oneida Co., N. Y., born November 23, 1830; he came to Kansas, in 1856, with a company from Chicago under Col. Harver; at Kansas City they met Buford and were sent back; they went to Nebraska City and came in wagons to Lawrence; they then started for provisions to Leavenworth. They met and captured a force, under Titus, of Carolinians and set them adrift in wagons to leave the state. Getting provisions at Easton they returned to Lawrence. Governor Shannon settling at liberty the Free-state prisoners and sending them a cannon, they also had the red flag that was flying at the sacking of Lawrence. They then captured a fort at Hickory Point, but were captured afterward by the Government troops and taken to Lecompton, and afterward confined in a brick jail in Tecumseh, from which he escaped, going to Topeka; and in the fall of 1856 went to Anderson County and engaged in farming. In 1868 he moved to Iola, in Allen County. In 1870, coming to Chanute, going into the grocery business at first, afterward into livery, and in 1882 bought in with Mr. Morrison. He is a member of the I. O. of O. F.
HYSINGER & ROSENTHAL, dry goods, hats, caps, etc. Business established in 1876. Stock, $30,000; business, $50,000 a year. F. W. JEFFRIES, hardware and agricultural implements, established in 1877, September 15, as Jeffries & Co., in a building 18x50, and a stock of $3,500. On this investment he did $16,429.28 in 1877-78. October 1 of this year he moved into his present place, having now a double store, 50x80, with addition. In 1882, his sales were $33,731.57, with the prospect of doing still more in 1883. Mr. Jeffries is a native of Cincinnati. On leaving this State, he went to Texas, coming to Kansas in 1871. He clerked for C. A. Carrier in the hardware business until he failed, when Mr. Jeffries traveled for the Champion Machine co., of Springfield, Ohio, finally entering the firm of Jeffries & Co., the company being Mr. Haines. In 1880, he became sole proprietor. Mr. Jeffries is master workman of the A. O. U. W.