|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JONES - ROBERTS).
P. S. JONES, farmer and stock raiser, came to Council Grove, Kansas, in April, 1882, and permanently located. For the past eight years he has resided at intervals in the above village. He is vice-president of the Farmers and Drovers Bank of Council Grove. Was born in Wilson County, Middle Tennessee, October 28, 1829, and was raised in his native state on a farm. Moved in 1851 to Northeastern Texas, Red River County, where he superintended a large farm for six years. Moving then to Pallo Pinto County, where he engaged in the cattle business; after a few years he moved to Bent County, Col., where he followed the same occupation until coming to Kansas. He was a participant in the late Rebellion. He is now doing a large loan and real estate business.
WILLIAM A. McCOLLOM, dealer in hardware, groceries, lime, coal, etc., has been in present business since January, 1870. He carries a full line of staple groceries, hardware, stoves, tinware, lime, and coal, also runs a broom factory. Does a business of $20,000 per year, employing five men. He was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., April 28, 1827, living there until fifteen years old when he went to Oberlin, Ohio, to be educated for the ministry. He there graduated, taking a full course. He first located on Cape Cod, there engaging in the ministry until the spring of 1856, when he moved to Kansas, locating at Manhattan, where he took a claim, his object in coming to Kansas being to assist in making the State free. At the time of the attempted rebel invasion of the State he carried his gun from Manhattan to Topeka to assist in the defense of the State. He afterwards located at Wabaunsee, where he was pastor of the Congregational Church three years. In 1864 he moved to Council Grove, where he was pastor of the Congregational Church several years. He was elected Probate Judge on the first straight Republican ticket elected in Morris County, serving one term. He has been thrice married. His first marriage occurred at Rochester, N.Y., in June, 1855, his wife being Miss Helen F. Brown, sister of Antoinette Ella Brown, a well known advocate of woman's suffrage, and a sister of Rev. William B. Brown. She died in 1862, leaving one child--Frederick A. He again married at Wabaunsee in 1863, Miss Laura Fish. In the spring of 1874 he married at Lawrence, Miss Euphemia D. Copley, of Emporia.
J. R. McILVAIN, M.D., was born in Fleming County, Ky., August 21, 1852, living there until ten years of age, when he parents removed to Cincinnati, where he resided until he attained his majority. He then learned the trade of machinist and followed that until he commenced the study of medicine in 1877. He is a graduate of the Kansas City Medical College, and is now engaged in the practice of medicine at Council Grove. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, Council Grove. On May 20, 1880, he married at Council Grove, Kan., Miss Flora C. Bradford, daughter of Dr. J. H. Bradford.
MARKS BROS., proprietors Eclipse Livery Stable. This stable was built in 1879, by E. C. McLoon. It is a two story frame with basement, with capacity for feeding forty head of horses. It was purchased by the present proprietors in January, 1881, who keep for livery business twelve head of horses and six vehicles. In addition to their livery business they have a large ranch of 2,300 acres in one body on Four Mile Creek, in Edin Creek and Valley townships, all under stone fence. Of this ranch 500 acres lying in the valley are in cultivation and separated from the upland by two stone fences running parallel to the general course of the creek, making a large pasture on each side of the ranch. The other improvements are also excellent, consisting of three dwellings and one large stone barn 72x32 feet and sixteen feet to eaves. The interior arrangement of this barn is good, affording storage for a large amount of corn, wheat and oats, for each of which is a separate bin containing from 1,000 to 2,000 bushels. One floor is reserved for the wagons, buggies and farm implements and another for a workshop and tool house, besides allowing room for thirty-five tons of loose hay. The stable affords shelter for twenty head of horses in single stalls. There is also a cattle shed 160 feet long, nine feet high and twenty-four feet wide, built of stone, above which is to be built a barn for hay. The orchard covering twenty acres has fruit of all kinds, comprising apple, peach, cherry, apricot and many other standard small fruits. The proprietors of this ranch are largely interested in live-stock, keeping on hand 200 to 300 head of cattle and 100 to 200 head of hogs and seventy-five head of horses. They ship all their own stock direct to market. Alfred J. Marks was born in Moscow, Hillsdale Co., Mich., January 3, 1845, living there until 1863, when he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-seventh Michigan infantry, serving until the close of the war, first in Tennessee, and afterwards in the Army of the Potomac, taking part in the various battles in Virginia in the latter part of the war, receiving a wound at Spotsylvania Court House in 1864. After the close of the war he returned to Michigan working three years for the Detroit Street Car Company, and after that until 1871, was employed at the penitentiary at Jackson, Mich. He then moved to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he engaged in the transfer freight business, which he has since continued. In 1881, he, with his brothers also engaged in the livery business as stated above. He formed Company K, of Kansas State Militia, of which he was Duty Sergeant, and afterwards promoted to Orderly, Second and First Lieutenant respectively, resigning while holding the last named position. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. and S. K. of the same order at Council Grove, and of Wadsworth Post, G.A.R. at Council Grove. He was married at Council Grove, Kan., December 25, 1874, to Miss Jennie Moriarty. They have three children--Lloyd, Minnie and Henry.
EDWARD J. MARKS, was born in Moscow, Hillsdale Co., Mich., September 26, 1850, living there until April, 1870, when he came to Council Grove, Kan. During the first few months after his arrival he was in the employ of the M. K. & T. R.R. and afterwards obtained a contract to carry the mail from the postoffice to the depot of above road at Council Grove, but sold it soon afterwards. He then bought eighty acres of school land near Parkerville, which he disposed of and invested the proceeds in a house and lot in Council Grove. After working a few months on a farm on Dodge Creek, he returned to Council Grove and went into partnership in the freight transfer business with his brother, continuing until 1875, when a portion of the ranch now owned by Marks Bros. was bought by himself and his two brothers, William J. and Alfred J. He has since been engaged in farming most of the time to the present.
JAMES MONROE MILLER, attorney at law, was born in Three Springs, Huntingdon Co., Pa., May 6, 1852, there receiving his early education. In June, 1875, he graduated at Dickinson Seminary, and a month later removed to Morris County, Kan., where he has since resided. During the first three years of his residence in Kansas, he taught school, being superintendent of the city schools of Council Grove, in 1877. The following year he was elected County Attorney of Morris County, serving one term. In the early part of 1883, he entered into partnership in the law with J. T. Bradley. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. order and Select Knights of the same order. He is also a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, having been superintendent of the Sabbath school at Council Grove since its organization.
REV. O. S. MUNSELL, D.D., editor and proprietor of the Council Grove Republican, removed from Illinois to Council Grove in October, 1876, and engaged first in banking, and afterward in farming. In November, 1880, he was elected member of the lower house of the Kansas Legislature, and in May, 1881, bought the Republican office. Mr. Munsell was born in Miami County, Ohio, June 8, 1825, but was raised in Illinois. He graduated at the Indiana Asbury University in 1845, and entered the ministry of the Methodist Church in 1846, and remained a member of the Conference for twenty-seven years. He was a member of three General Conferences of the Church; was for three years principal of the Danville Seminary, and for sixteen years president of the Illinois Wesleyan University. He is the author of several works, one of which is "Psychology, or the Science of the Mind" is used as a text book in some of the best colleges in the land. He was married in 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Whipp, of Beardstown, Ill. They have three living children--Francis E., Ernest A., and Lillie M. Munsell.
FRANK A MORIARTY, dealer in books, stationary, etc. Has been in his present business since 1881, carrying a stock of $3,000, and doing a business of $6,000 per year. He was born in Galena, Ill., September 6, 1852, and was reared in Jackson County, Iowa, living on the farm a portion of the time. During the years 1857 and '58 his father was State Printer of Iowa. He has been in Kansas since 1869, ten years of that time in Council Grove where he was in the newspaper business, being the editor of the Council Grove Republican. He is a member of Council Grove Lodge, No. 42, I.O.O.F., at Council Grove.
ADAM MOSER, County Clerk, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 28, 1847. When about two years old, he was taken by his parents to New Richmond where he resided until October, 1870, when he moved to Kansas, locating in Parkerville, in Morris County. He engaged in the real estate business and the practice of law, holding the office of County Attorney one term, beginning January, 1875. In the fall of 1877 he was elected County Clerk and has since been twice re-elected. He was married in Morris County, Kas., October 1, 1874, to Miss Flora A. Brigham. He is a member of the Masonic order, being a charter member and first master of the lodge at Parkerville, which position he has since held with the exception of one year.
FRANKLIN P. NICHOLS, a native of Springfield, Sullivan Co., N.H., educated at Kimball, Union Academy, N.H. and Amherst College, Mass. Came to Doniphan County, Kas., in 1859, from Michigan. Returned to Michigan in 1861. Served in the War of the Rebellion in the Seventh Michigan Cavalry, Gen. Custer's Brigade, Army of the Potomac. Returned to Kansas in 1867; settled in Council Grove, Morris County, and has resided here since that time. Has followed the profession of teaching; taught the first graded school in Morris County; was a teacher in Nebraska College. Neb., Lockhart Academy, etc. Taught several sessions in Kansas State Normal Institute--County sessions. Has been County Superintendent of Morris County, and City Superintendent of Council Grove for several years. Has been elected to several minor public offices. Has been past master of Council Grove, No. 36, A., F. & A.M. for several years; is also a member of Emporia Chapter, No. 12, Royal Arch Masons; also belongs to some other societies. He was twice married--first, to Miss Amy A. Sargent, of New London, N.H., who died a short time after marriage; second, to Miss Amelia Grant, of Westville, Otsego Co., N.Y.
M. B. NICHOLSON, attorney at law, was born in Nova Scotia, June 15, 1844. He received an academical education at Halifax. When twenty-two years of age he moved to Atchison County, Mo., where he resided until 1872. He was elected Superintendent of schools of that county in 1870, holding that office until 1872, when he removed to Council Grove. He was married at Rockport, Mo., June 8, 1871, to Miss Albertine Bird. They have four children--John B., Josephine, Winifred, and Ione. He began the practice of law at Rockport, Mo., having received his collegiate education at Westminster College, at Fulton, Mo. Since he located at Council Grove he has given his whole attention to the practice of law, doing a general law business in all State and Federal courts. In November, 1876, he was elected County Attorney on the Democratic ticket, of which he is an ardent supporter. He is a member of the Masonic and I.O.O.F. lodges, and was the representative from his lodge to the I.O.O.F. Grand Lodge in 1882.
JOSEPH K. OWENS, attorney at law, was born in Keokuk, Iowa, April 7, 1854, living there a short time, when his parents moved to Langston, Mo., where he resided until the breaking out of the war. Then went to Macon, Mo., where he was educated and studied law, attending the Law Department of Johnson College, until 1877, when he was admitted to the bar. He practices in all the State and Federal Courts. Since 1879 he has resided at Council Grove, and is Justice of the Peace and Police Judge of that city. He was married at St. Louis, Mo., May 18, 1880, to Miss Clara Vrooman, daughter of Judge J. A. Vrooman.
D. H. PAINTER, M. D., was born in Macomb, McDonough County, Ill., April 13, 1855, receiving his education there. He graduated at Louisville Medical College, at Louisville, Ky., and in 1876 located at Council Grove, where he has since been engaged in the practice of medicine. He was married at Council Grove, Kan., April 16, 1878, to Miss Bettie C. Robbins, a daughter of James A. Robbins, one of the first settlers at Council Grove. They have two children, Florence K. and Albin M. Was appointed Coroner of Morris County in 1882, and elected in the fall of that year for succeeding term. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. at Council Grove.
JOHN S. PROVINE was born in McDonough County, Ill., October 12, 1864, living there until twenty-four years old when he removed to Iowa, living there until 1878. He then came to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he entered the real estate, loan and insurance business, in partnership with Hon. H. Ritchie. He enlisted in Company C, Eighty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in 1862, serving until the close of the war, in the Army of the Cumberland. He was in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Tullahoma Campaign, Chickamauga (where he was wounded), the Atlanta Campaign, the battle of Franklin, and Nashville. He was married in McDonough County, Ill., in January, 1868, to Miss Ivy Blount. They have two children, Nellie and Alex. He is a member of the Masonic and A.O.U.W. orders. Mr. P. is one of the leading Republicans of Morris County, and was a candidate for the Legislature on the Republican ticket in 1882.
FREDERICK L. RICHTER, traveling salesman, was born in Hamilton, Ohio, June 1, 1849. When about eight years old he came with his parents to Ripley County, Ind., where he resided until 1871, when he came to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he engaged in the drug business, in partnership with his brother, H. E. Richter, continuing about seven years. He was appointed Postmaster in 1873, holding that office four years. During the past two years he has been acting as traveling salesman for a wholesale drug house at Kansas City. He was married at Hamilton, Ohio, in July, 1870, to Miss Fannie M. Miller. They have four children--Jean Paul, Ida, Florence, Sprigg Case. Mr. R. is a member of the A.O.U.W. Lodge of Council Grove.
H. E. RICHTER, druggist, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, April 23, 1847, and when two years old went with his parents to Butler County, Ohio, where he resided until 1863, when he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred Twenty-third Indiana Infantry, as a private, and served in the Army of the Ohio, until September, 1865, when he was discharged under general order. He then returned to Butler County, Ohio, remaining until 1870, when he came to Council Grove, Kas., where he entered the drug business, which he carried on until 1876. Having been elected Sheriff in the fall of 1874, he disposed of his drug business. He held the office two terms, and at the expiration of his second term, in 1879, he again entered the drug business. He carries a stock of drugs and druggists' sundries amounting to $3,500 and does a business of $10,000 per year. Mr. R. has also been identified with other public enterprises in the State, holding the position of Director of the State Penitentiary, and Chairman of the Board. He is an uncompromising Republican, and a staunch supporter of the Republican ticket and principles; always rendering efficient aid to the ticket when necessary. He is also a member of the Masonic and I.O.O.F. lodges at Council Grove.
REV. HENDERSON RITCHIE, farmer, Section 30, Township 15, Range 8, P. O. Council Grove, was born in Warren County, Ill., December 25, 1828, being the first white child born in that county. When he was twelve years old his county was divided, he residing thereafter in the new county of Henderson. For twenty-five years he was a Methodist minister and a member of the Rock River and Central Illinois Conferences. Was presiding elder nine years and was twice in 1868 and 1872, a delegate to the General Conference. In 1874 he was the Republican candidate for Congress from the Tenth District, in Illinois. In 1880, he was one of the Republican Electors for Kansas. He was married at Abingdon, Knox Co., Ill., in 1856, to Miss Mary L. Latimer. They have four children--Morris Latimer, Henry Lincoln, Elmer Ellsworth and Eunice. He removed to Kansas in October, 1875, locating in Neosho Township, Morris County, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and raising thoroughbred Short-horn cattle. His farm consisting of 140 acres, has fair improvements, seventy acres under cultivation and the remainder in timber and pasture. He has also been in the real estate and loan and insurance business, and since 1878, has been associated in the business with J. S. Provine.
PORTER S. ROBERTS, attorney-at-law, loans and insurance, was born in Shelby County, Ky., March 12, 1827, leaving there and going to Savannah, Mo., when sixteen years old. In the fall of 1848 he went to Winterset, Iowa where he entered into the practice of law, remaining a few months, and then returned to Savannah remaining until the next fall when he went to Oregon. In 1861 he returned to Savannah, engaging in the practice of law and real estate business, following that chiefly until about 1871, when he moved to Council Grove, Kas., where he has since resided, engaged in real estate, loan and insurance business. He was married at Council Grove, Kas., in August, 1872, to Miss Mary Elizabeth Maxey. They have two children--William Beverly and Lorena Anna.