|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (APPLINGTON - HUFFAKER).
JOHN R. APPLINGTON, attorney at law, was born in Polo, Ogle Co., Ill., November 15, 1855, living there until May, 1880, when he located in Council Grove, and engaged in the practice of law and the real estate business. He received a high school education at Polo, Ill. He followed teaching school a few years, and the study of law, graduating at the Union College of Law at Chicago. He was married in Ottawa, Ill., in June, 1879, to Miss Kate A. Smith.
R. M. ARMSTRONG, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., October 3, 1841, residing there until May, 1865, when he came to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he engaged in the mercantile business until January, 1877, when he took charge of the office of Clerk of the District Court, to which he had been elected. He is now serving his fourth term, having been three times re-elected. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge of Council Grove. He was married at Council Grove, Kas., December 7, 1871, to Miss Mary C. Strieby, who came to Council Grove in 1864, from Darlington, Beaver Co., Pa., where she had previously resided. She received her early education in the same school building at which John Brown was educated, and the building still stands, but is being converted into a railroad depot.
DR. A. G. CAMPBELL, County Superintendent of Schools, son of George Campbell, Esq., of Scott Township, Adams Co., Ohio, was born April 27, 1847. Is a self-made man. When a boy he had the opportunity of attending the common school only; in 1865 he commenced teaching school during the winter and attending school in the summer, until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he taught one year. In 1871 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. J. H. Bradford, meantime clerking in the drug store. In 1876 he bought a half interest. In the spring of 1878 he bought Dr. Bradford's interest. In the fall of 1880 he was elected County Superintendent on the Republican Ticket, and in the fall of 1882 was re-elected without opposition. In November of that year sold his drugs to J. W. Collin to more fully attend to his official duties. He is a member of the lodge and encampment of I.O.O.F. of Council Grove. On October 5, 1878, he was married to Miss Lizzie McIntyre, of Adams County, Ohio. They have one little girl, Anna Grace.
JAMES C. CARPENTER, blacksmith and wagon maker, was born in Wayne County, N.Y., December 11, 1832, and reared in Jackson County, Mich. In 1852 he crossed the plains engaging in mining in California two years. He then returned to Michigan and soon afterwards moved to Dallas County, Iowa, where, at the breaking out of the late civil war, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-ninth Iowa Infantry, serving until the close of the war. Was at the siege of Vicksburg, doing guard duty at Corinth, and afterwards along the railroad in Tennessee. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea, going thence with Kilpatrick's command north, through the Carolinas. After his discharge he returned to Iowa, where he remained until 1870, when he moved to Kansas, locating on a farm near Council Grove, to which place he removed about 1875, and engaged in general blacksmithing and wagon and plow making, which he has since carried on. He does a business of $4,000 per year, employing from two to four men. He is also interested in thoroughbred horses, having one Hamilton and one Clydesdale stallion, and other stock. He has also been engaged in farming during the past two years. He was married in Polk County, Iowa, September 2, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Fenner. They have two children---Jesse and Ida. He has been Treasurer of the School Board several years and is now a member of the City Council of Council Grove. Is a member of the A.O.U.W. Lodge and Select Knights of the same order at Council Grove.
S. M. COREY was born in Erie County, N.Y., February 29, 1840. When about eighteen years of age he moved to Reading, Mich., where for twelve years he was engaged in grocery business. He was there married, January 1, 1860, to Miss Mary E. Bartholomew, who died a few years later leaving two children--Arthur Otis and Fred Grove. In 1866 he was married to Miss Mary E. Burchard, also of Reading. In 1870 he removed to Kansas locating on a farm in Elk Creek Township. Was one of the first justices of the peace of that township, being twice elected. For two years he engaged in farming, when his house burning down, he removed to Council Grove, where he has since resided. He soon afterwards purchased the Commercial Hotel, which he ran for several years. He is now the proprietor of the Commercial Billiard Hall, adjoining the hotel. Mr. C. is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge at Council Grove.
HON. J. H. BRADFORD, M.D., was born in Scioto County, Ohio, September 5, 1828. When twelve years old, he removed to the Platte Purchase, Mo., remaining there until 1857. He was married in Andrew County, Mo., November 3, 1853, to Miss Cornelia L. Pollard. They have two children--Claudius Bruce and Flora C. In March, 1857, he removed to Council Grove, Kas., which he helped to survey. He was appointed County Attorney at the organization of the county, holding that office until the regular election. During the war he was appointed Surgeon of the Seventh and Eighth Kansas Regiments. He held the office of County Superintendent of Schools for two terms, and in 1866, was elected to the Legislature from Morris County, serving one term. In religious views he is a Methodist, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Was elected by that church lay delegate to three annual conferences, held in the State, and was elected by the annual conference, delegate to the general conference held at Louisville, Ky., in 1874, and was subsequently a delegate to the general conference held at Atlanta, Ga., 1878. He is a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College, and has been practicing medicine since he came to Council Grove. Was employed for over ten years a physician for the Kansas tribe of Indians. In the fall of 1882, his son C. B. Bradford, a graduate of the Kansas City Medical College, became a partner. He was born in Andrew County, Mo., in 1855, and has lived at Council Grove since his second year. He married Miss Florence Whittaker. Dr. J. H. Bradford has a flouring mill on the banks of the Neosho River, near Council Grove, which has a capacity of 500 bushels each, of wheat and corn, per day of twenty-four hours. It is operated by water power and steam. It was built in 1874 by a stock company, and was purchased by Dr. B., who has ever since operated it as a merchant and custom mill. His salient views in politics are that the Central Government should issue and control the entire currency of the country.
BARNEY W. DAY, M.D. was born in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, July 2, 1833, being reared and educated there. He graduated at the university of Queen's College, at Kingston, in 1862, beginning the practice of medicine there in that year. He was there married, in April, 1859, to Miss Hannah Ford, who died, leaving two children--Sophronia E. and William G. In November, 1868, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Bruce, who died in 1881, leaving two children--Herbert J. and Arthur W. Dr. Day resided at Kingston until 1871, when he removed to Chicago, where he remained engaged in the practice of medicine until 1877, when he returned to Kingston, remaining until April, 1881, when he removed to Council Grove. He has gotten up the purest and best extracts of malt for medicinal purposes now made, and manufactures all that he requires for his own use. He is a member of the Masonic order, and of the A.O.U.W. Lodge and Select Knights of the same order at Council Grove.
JOSEPH E. DRAKE, Register of Deeds, was born in Sussex County, N.J., June 11, 1847, living there until the spring of 1866, on his father's farm, then for two years he was employed as a clerk in a general store; he then went to Bureau County, Ill., remaining until January, 1869, when he went to Morris County, N.J., engaging in merchandising one year; he then moved to Kansas, engaging first in stock raising, until 1873, when he engaged in merchandising at Parkerville until the fall of 1877; at that time he began dealing in grain and live stock, continuing until July, 1880, when he was appointed Register of Deeds, to fill a vacancy. In the fall of that year he was elected for the remainder of the term, and in 1881, was re-elected. He was Trustee of the Parker Township two terms, beginning in 1876. He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Parkerville and of the A.O.U.W. lodge and Select Knights of the same order at Council Grove. He was married in Whiteside County, Ill., April 3, 1879, to Miss Ida A. Parker. They have two children--Harry A. and Frank R.
DUMM & NEWCOMER, dealers in furniture, carpets, sewing machines and undertakers' goods, have been doing business since July, 1882, when the partnership was formed. They carry a large stock, and do a good business. J. W. Dumm was born in Monroe County, Ohio, August 2, 1843, living there until the summer of 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred Sixteenth Ohio Infantry, serving until June, 1865, in the Army of West Virginia, except the last six months, when he was in the Army of the Potomac. After his discharge, he went to Delaware County, Ohio, engaging in farming until 1873, when he removed to Jefferson County, Iowa, carrying on a furniture store four years. He then removed to Council Grove, Kan., where he has since resided, carrying on a general furniture and undertaking store. In July, 1882, he associated with himself in the business, L. A. Newcomer. Mr. Dumm is also a director and stockholder in the Farmers and Drover's Bank, at Council Grove. He was married in Delaware County, Ohio, December 18, 1868, to Miss Martha Clark. They have four children living--Warren, Joseph, Wiley, and an infant. Mr. Dumm is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the A.O.U.W. lodge, at Council Grove. L. A. Newcomer was born in Washington County, Md., June 28, 1846; leaving there in 1866, he went to Polo, Ill., engaging in the furniture business until October, 1879, when he came to Kansas, locating at Council Grove. He was married at Polo, Ill., December 24, to Miss Jennie M. Eicholtz. They have two children--Henry Lewis and Mary Angeline.
HON. JOHN T. BRADLEY, lawyer, was born in 1842, at Galway, Ireland, and moved with his parents to Wisconsin in 1847. He received an academic education at Madison, Wisconsin. Was an apprentice in the Patriot printing office in 1860. Enlisted as a private in the Eleventh Wisconsin Infantry in July, 1861; was wounded at Bayou Cache, Ark., in June, 1862. Was then appointed Regimental Color Sergeant and carried the colors of his regiment in the battles of Fort Gibson, Miss., Raymond, Champion Hills, the storming of Black River Bridge, during the siege of Vicksburg, and in the assault on Vicksburg, May 22, 1863. In 1864 he was transferred to the Twenty-third Wisconsin Infantry, and was captured by the enemy while on the skirmish line at the battle of Mansfield, La., April 8, 1864, and was taken to Tyler Prison, Texas, and kept there fourteen months and until the close of the war. He was breveted Captain of Wisconsin Volunteers with rank from May 1, 1863, for distinguished gallantry, then he returned to Wisconsin and entered the State University, taking a scientific course. He graduated as a Bachelor of Laws in 1869. Came to Kansas in the same year and settled in Wamego, where he remained one year. He was married in 1870 to Miss Josephine McMillan, of Wamego. They have six children--Josephine, Ernest, Mabel, Edith, John T. and William A. He has practiced law at Council Grove since 1871. He was a member of the Kansas State Senate from 1876 to 1880, and was Chairman of the Senate Committee on Public Institutions, also Chairman of Senate Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence. In 1880 was elected and commissioned Colonel of the First Kansas Infantry (N. G.). In 1880 he was elected grand master of the A.O.U.W. He also belongs to the Knights of Honor and the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Bradley has always been a Republican and stumped the State for his party during several campaigns.
H. W. GILDEMEISTER, cashier of Farmers and Drovers Bank, was born in Prussia, June 7, 1841; immigrated to America in the spring of 1848, locating in Washington, D.C., where he resided until 1857, when he moved to Macoupin County, Ill., locating near Bunker Hill. Enlisted in the Union Army in July, 1861, and resigned in 1864, on account of wounds received. In the winter of 1865, immigrated to Morris County, Kansas, and opened a farm ten miles southwest of Council Grove. In 1871, he was elected County Clerk of Morris County, and re-elected in 1873-75. In June, 1878, he started the banking house of Gildemeister & Co., which in January, 1880, he disposed of to what is now known as the Morris County State Bank.
JUDGE JESSE HAMNER, Judge of Probate Court, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., July 31, 1843. In 1850, his parents moved to Pike County, Ill., where he resided until 1870. In 1862, he enlisted in Company D, First Missouri Infantry, serving four and one-half years in the Army of the Frontier, being most of the time in Missouri and Arkansas. After the close of the war, his command was sent west against the Indians. After his discharge he returned to Pike County, Ill., and engaged in farming. He there married, October 27, 1866, to Miss Mary E. Roberts. They have five children--Charles A., William M., Jessie D., Lewis Augustus and Allie May. In the fall of 1870, he came to Kansas, locating in Ohio Township, in Morris County, and engaged in farming, which he followed until January, 1881, when he took the office of Probate Judge, to which he was elected in 1880; is now serving his second term. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. Lodge, and Select Knights of the same order at Council Grove.
JOHN HEASTON was born in Henry County, Ind., March 23, 1857, living there two years when his parents moved to Decatur County, Iowa, where he remained eight years. Then removed to Harrison County, Mo., remaining nine years. He returned to Decatur County, Iowa, where he married March 3, 1871, Miss Sarah J. Johnson. They have three children--Della, Eva, Josie. In 1874 he moved to Morris County, Kan., engaging in farming until 1879, when he moved to Council Grove, where he opened an agricultural implement store, which he has since carried on in partnership with Mr. Martin and John Sims.
JOHNSTON & BERTRAM, attorneys-at-law, have been together engaged in the practice of law since 1878. They practice in all courts in the State and of the United States, giving their attention to all branches of legal business. Capt. T. K. Johnston was born Fayette County, Pa., February 26, 1842, and there studied law, beginning when seventeen years old. At the breaking out of the civil war he enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Pennsylvania, three months' service. At the expiration of that time he enlisted in the Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and serving until the close of the war, being at that time Captain of his Battery. After his discharge he resided in Pittsburgh, Pa., remaining until 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating at Topeka, where he resided until 1874, when he removed to Council Grove, where he has since resided. Since his arrival in Kansas he has devoted his entire attention to his profession. He married at Topeka, Kan., August 16, 1871, Laura H. Cheney, who died in June, 1881, leaving one child, Lucretia. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. and Select Knights of the same order at Council Grove. E. S. Bertram was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, November 4, 1846, removing with his parents to Illinois. He commenced learning printing in 1858. He enlisted in 1861 in Company Berry's Battalion of Cavalry, serving until February, 1862, when he was honorably discharged. He began the study of law in 1868, and two years later he removed to Council Grove, where he has since remained engaged in the practice of law, having been associated with T. K. Johnston since 1878. He was married at Council Grove, Kan., January 21, 1871, to Mrs. Mary E. Dunn. Mr. Bertram is one of the leading members of a number of secret and beneficiary orders in the State, being grand master of the I.O.O.F., and past grand master of the A.O.U.W., and Select Knights, and the Royal Arcanum, and K. of G., and a member of the A., F. & A.M. He is also a member of the City Council of Council Grove, having held that position since the city was organized.
HON. THOMAS SEARS HUFFAKER, farmer and justice of the peace, was born in Clay County, Mo., March 30, 1825, living there until twenty-four years old, when he was employed by the United States Government to take charge of the Manual Labor School for Indians, near Westport, Mo. He then located in Johnson County, Kan., where he remained until 1850, when he was sent to Council Grove to take charge of the Indian school for the Kaw (or Kansas) Indians, holding that position until 1854, when the school was discontinued. He was then employed by Northrup & Chick as manager of their Kansas Indian trading house, holding that position several years. In 1861 he was appointed to take charge of the agricultural interests of the Kaw Indians, remaining four years. From 1865 to 1870 he was engaged in the mercantile business at Council Grove, and then began farming and stock raising. Mr. H. was the first Postmaster at Council Grove, was Judge of the Probate Court, one term, County Commissioner, and three terms a member of the Kansas Legislature. He is at present Justice of the Peace for Council Grove Township. He was married at Council Grove, May 6, 1852, to Miss Eliza M. Baker, who was born in Illinois and reared in Iowa, her father being a blacksmith for the Sac and Fox Indians. She came to Kansas with her brother-in-law, E. Mozier, who was blacksmith and gunsmith for the Kaw Indians. Mr. and Mrs. H. were the first couple married at Council Grove. They have seven children--Mary H., Aggie C., George M., Fannie, Anna, Thomas H. and Carl. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic Order and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.