KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
In the fall of 1869, the town of Parker became established on the east side of the Verdigris, about one and a half miles south of Clymore, by H. N. Martin and Col. D. T. Parker, after whom it was named. The reasons upon which the town was started were occasioned from the idea which at the time became current, that the railroad would run down on the east side of the river and that, probably, this would be the terminal point. So popular did this idea become, that all eyes became turned to Parker, to which place it was taken during the fall of 1869. Everything at this time spoke favorably for the stability and future prominence of the town. So great, indeed, were the surrounding influences hat, in little more than a year's time, it had become a city containing more than a thousand people, and about fifty flourishing business establishments. In 1871, it was incorporated as a city, and W. Barricklow was elected Mayor; A. D. Keifer, City Clerk; S. S. Peterson, Marshal, and George Hall, T. C. Frazier Dr. Dunwell, F. B. York and John Todd, Councilmen. The first building erected was the office occupied by D. T. Parker and F. B. York, and the first school district organized in the county was at this place in 1870.
But alas! for Parker, the inscrutable ways of railroad corporations were stronger than she was able to combat. Under the instructed and direction of the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railroad Company a town was started a few miles north and on the opposite side of the river from where Parker was located, where the road was to be built, and which was to be made the terminus of the road, and was called Coffeyville, a history of which appears at another place. This, as a matter of course, settled the question as to where the terminal point of the railroad should be, and made certain the conclusion that Coffeyville was destined to be the metropolis of southeastern Montgomery County. In the face of these overpowering circumstances, Parker fought bravely for a few months for existence, against her favored rival; but the removal of a few of her business houses to Coffeyville created a panic that was not to be stayed, and the prosperous little city melted away like a mirage, only a few dwellings being left as landmarks. An addition to these remains has recently been made in the erection of a brick school building and the establishment of a mercantile house by William Padon, in the spring of 1882.
A. BEATTY, owner of State line grain and stock farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in County Fermaugh, Ireland, September 25, 1833, his parents being natives of Scotland. In 1850, he came to America, and after sending some few years in Ohio, afterward in Iowa, he came to Kansas in 1859, and spent a few years Linn and Anderson counties. He afterward located near Ottawa and improved a handsome farm of 240 acres about a mile from the city, which he still owns. During this time he also identified himself with the lumber business in Ottawa, and was an active worker in the growth of the industrial interests of it. He served upon the Board of Alderman of that city, and was very active as a worker with social developments of the city. In 1869, he came here and located, and has been successfully identified with grain and stock raising business here since. State Line Grain and Stock Farm contains 300 acres of valuable land, lies two miles south of Coffeyville, watered by Onion and Verdigris streams. It has very handsome dwellings and out-buildings, adjacent to which is a beautiful orchard of over fifteen acres devoted to a fine assortment of fruit trees of all kinds raised here, and a nicely arranged grapery, besides small fruits in profusion, and handsome forest trees assist in the make up of the farm, thus making it one of the handsomest in Southern Kansas. Mr. Beatty has besides "Nation View" Farm, containing 170 acres of choice land principally utilized for grain, rearing horticulture, 120 acres to grain and twenty-five to handsomely assorted fruit orchard. It has handsome buildings located upon it and is well hedged and otherwise elegantly improved. In stock rearing and dealing he does an extensive business and stands prominent among that fraternity here. He married in 1864, Miss Margaret MacAllister, a lady of fine attainments, who was born in County, Armagh, Ireland, and reared and educated in Coshocton County, Ohio. They have a bright, intelligent family of four sons and three daughters - James L., Theressa, John K., Charles, Amanda, Mary and Cyrus W. Mr. Beatty has been a member of the Masonic Order for the last twenty-six years. During the war he did service in Company H, Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry for about a year and then received an honorable discharge. Since locating here he was worked actively in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of this locality.
GEORGE Y. ERGENBRIGHT, owner of Sunnyside grain and stock farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., October 31, 1830. In 1854, he went to Clay County, Ill., where he was identified with the farming industry for ten years. He then returned to his native State and carried it on successfully there until 1870, when he came to Kansas and located there the following year. He married, in 1852, Miss Mary Forsyth, of Johnson County, Ind., who died in 1855, and was buried in Clay County, Ill. In 1856, he married Miss Elizabeth Holman, of Ohio. They have a family of five sons and two daughters - Helen, now Mrs. Fredrick Yehl; Oliver J., Samuel H., Homer, Summer, Fleta May and Charles. He has been a member of I. O. O. F. for several years. Sunnyside Farm contains 280 acres of valuable land; is located two and a half miles northeast of Coffeyville; 170 acres are devoted to grain tillage, and the balance to a pasturage, horticulture, meadow; has handsome dwelling and out-buildings located on it, and has an orchard of seven acres of a nice assortment of fruits. In stock raising deals particularly in Merino sheep.
NOAH F. HOWARD, owner of Pleasant View Farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., October 11, 1838 and was reared and educated there. In 1858 he came to Kansas, and lived in Douglas County until 1869, when he came here, and has been identified with his present industry since. He married in Lawrence, Kan., September 22, 1868, Miss C. Mewhinney, a lady of fine literrary attainments, daughter of Col. T. J. Mewhinney wholocated in Franklin County, Kan., in 1855, and was prominently identified with public and social life there. They have a family of one son and one daughter, Ross and Katie. Mrs. Howard was born in Terre Haute, Ind., but was educated in Douglas County, Kan. She is an active member of the Christian Church. He is a member of the Masonic Order. During the war Mr. Howard was active in the Assistant Quartermaster's Department as Chief Clerk of the department of the Mississippi, from which he received an honorable discharge after three years' service. Since locating here he has been actively identified in the social and industrial life of this locality.
P. M. LEE, owner of Riverside Farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Elizabethtown, Canada, May 24, 1839, his people having moved there from New York State. When quite young he removed with his people to Illinois, who settled in Lake County. At the age of sixteen he went to Winona County, Minn., and followed farming business actively there till 1871. He had, however, learned the trade of wheelwright there. In 1871 he came here and located upon hes present place, which he has improved and still owns. During this time he years as his trade in Coffeyville. Riverside Farm contains 206 acres of valuable land, is located upon the Verdigris River, about two miles from Coffeyville, has nice dwelling and out-buildings located upon it, and an orchard of four acres of a nicely assorted variety of fruit trees. He married, in 1857, Miss Ann M. Cumming, who was born in Scotland and reared and educated in Milwaukee, Wish. They have two sons - Andrew S. and Cyrus A. During the war he did active service in the First Minnesota Light Artillery, from 1863 till the end of the war. Was honorably discharged and pensioned for wounds received at siege of Atlanta, Ga.