KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.N. F. ADAMS, dealer in harness and saddlery, was born in Kingston, Rhode Island, May 12, 1852. He learned the harness-maker's trade in his native town, where he continued to work until September, 1879, when he came to Kansas. He worked until the following spring in Alma, Wabaunsee County, and then in Lawrence, thence to Fredonia, and thence to Mankato in Jewell County. In June, 1882 he came to Elk City and opened a store as an agent for another party. He bought the stock July 1, 1883, and is engaged in business on his own account. He has a good stock, manufactures largely, and does a rushing business. He belongs to the A. O. U. W. April 26, 1882 he was married at Fredonia, Kan., to Miss Fanny A. Black.
J. J. BAGSLEY, druggist, was born in Canada West, April 30, 1837. At the age of nineteen years he came to the United States and located at Grinnell. Iowa, where he attended school for three years. A part of the time was at the Iowa College. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, of the Fourth Iowa Cavalry. He served until August, 1865, and was mustered out by reason of the expiration of term of service. He then returned to Iowa and began business as a merchant in general store at Linn Grove, Jasper County. In 1870, he sold out and came to Kansas, locating in Louisburg Township. Montgomery County, on a farm. In 1877, he moved to Elk City and opened a general store. He sold it in 1879 and bought a drug store, and in the spring of 1883, Mr. John Wright became a partner in the business. They carry a good stock of drugs, proprietary medicines, and sundries, under the firm name of Bagsley & Wright. He is a member of the K. of H. Was married April 10, 1861, in Powesheik County, Iowa, to Miss Ruth A. Carlson. They have five children - Eben J., Cora A., Orilla J., Etta L., and Ruth Myrtle.
M. H. BAIRD, farmer, P. O. Elk City, was born in St. Charles, Kane Co., Ill., September 23, 1844. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, of the Eighth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, as a private. Having been injured in the service by the falling of his horse, which produced military disability, he was discharged from service in March, 1862, and returned to Illinois, where he engaged in farming. In 1872, he came to Kansas, and bought a farm adjoining Elk City, on the north of Duck Creek. In 1881, he laid out twenty-five acres of his farm in town lots, which is known as M. H. Baird's addition to Elk City. He still retains a very fine farm of 125 acres, and is engaged in farming, raising grain and stock. He was married July 4, 1865, at DeKalb, Ill., to Miss Anna Wright. They have four children - Charles, Horace S., Hattie and Carrie.
C. P. BURCHFIELD, proprietor of the Burchfield Hotel, was born in Warren County, Ky., August 20, 1842. He was raised a farmer. He enlisted September 5, 1861, in Company I, Seventeenth Regiment, Kentucky Infantry. Was made Sergeant and then Orderly Sergeant. He took part in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh Corinth, Chickamauga, and many other battles and skirmishes. In 1869 he began business as a merchant with a general stock at Greencastle, Ky.; was also the proprietor of a hotel. He continued business there until there 1877, when he came to Kansas, locating at Radical City, Montgomery County, where he engaged in the general grocery and drugs trade. He was in Radical City two years, and then moved to Crane Station, where he kept a general stock including drugs. In 1881 he removed to Elk City, and began hotel keeping in the Elk City House. In the fall of 1882 in company with four others he built the new brick hotel, known as the Burchfield House, and Mr. B became the manager thereof, and is still in that popular caravansery. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., the G. A. R., and A., F. & A. M. He was married August 26, 1882, at Springfield, Tenn., to Miss Nannie E. Miller, of Warren County, Ky.
H. H. BURDICK, veterinary surgeon, was born in Lower Canada. January 29, 1833. When a child his parents moved to the United States, and located at Georgia, Franklin Co., Vt. When he was thirteen years of age, the family moved to Freeport, Ill.., and in 1850 to Wisconsin. In 1856 he came to Kansas, locating on a farm in, Miami County, then Lykens County, three miles south of Osawatomie. He took a part in the struggle for free Kansas, and was with J. H. Lane in his campaign against the border outlaws. He took a part in the battle of Middle Creek, and at Fort Bain, where the command worsted the United States troops under Capt. Anderson, (afterwards famous as the defender of Fort Sumter, and a distinguished general of the late war), who were assisting the Deputy United States Marshall in trying to arrest the command. July 5, 1861, he entered the United States service as a scout for Gen. Sigel. He served under various commanders in the same capacity until April, 1863, when he was discharged from the service. He returned to Jefferson County, Kan., where he buried his first wife. In 1870 sold out, and came to Elk City. He was Deputy Sheriff of Montgomery County two years, and then engaged in the livery business two years, and then bought a farm in Louisburg Township. He was elected a Justice of the Peace in 1873, and still holds the office of Police Judge, having been successfully re-elected every term since. Has also been Police Judge of Elk City. He belongs to the G. A .R. Was married at Stevens Point, Wis. October 29, 1854, to Miss Sarah Outcalt. They had no children. But he had one child, Huldah L. by his second wife, Miss Sarah Hunsford being her maiden name. They were married June 5, 1870, at Elk City, Kan.
J. W. EWING, hardware dealer, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ohio, August, 23, 1846. When a child, his parents removed to Moline, Ill. When eighteen years of age, he began the tinner's trade at Winona, Ill. He worked for the same man until 1880, and during three years had charge of a branch store at Long Point, Livingstone County, during which time he was the village Postmaster. In May, 1880 he came to Kansas, settling at Neodesha, Wilson County, where he worked at his trade until October, 1882, when he removed to Elk City, Montgomery County, and began business as a hardware merchant. In May, 1883, he took as a partner, Dr. H. C. Perdue. The firm Ewing & Perdue carry a large stock of builder's and heavy hardware, agricultural implements, and kindred lines of goods. Mr. Ewing was married March 8, 1877, at Minonk, Ill., to Miss Belle Taylor. They have two children - Warren, and Percey.
GEORGE W. FERNER, dealer in groceries, was born in Jay County, Ind., September 6, 1855. He was educated at the Northwestern College, at Napleville, Ill., in 1878. He moved to Macedon, Mercer County, Ohio, and began business as a merchant, with a general stock of merchandise. In February, 1883, he sold out, moved to Kansas, locating in Elk City, where he is engaged in groceries and provisions, has also a good stock of queensware. He was married November 14, 1880, in Jay County, Ind., to Miss Serena Adams.
W. C. GETTYS, publisher Elk City Globe, was born in Fayette County, Pa., November 13, 1854. When three years of age, he removed with his parents to Wapello County, Iowa, where he lived until 1866. In that year the family came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Coffey County. At the age of twenty years, Mr. Gettys began the trade of a printer, and as a journey man traveled through the State, working in various towns and cities, until 1879, when he located at Longton, Elk County, and began the publication of The Pioneer. After one year he removed the paper to Severy, Greenwood County. Here he published the paper until November, 1881, when he sold out. In July, 1882, he began the publication of a paper, at Elk City, Montgomery County, called the Elk City Globe, and is still at the head of the paper. He was married November, 22, 1878, at Eureka, Kan., to Miss Anna Drake. They have two children - Charles Lee, and Frederic Ernest.
H. B. KELLEY, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Wayne County, Ky., June 26, 1853. In the spring of 1870, his parents moved to Kansas and settled on a farm near Elk City, Montgomery County. In 1874 he began clerking for W. F. Baird in Elk City, and was with him nearly two years and then went into the store of J. G. Paine and worked for a few months, and then engaged with J. ?. Crouse six months, and then worked for Thomas Bruce nearly two years, and for more than three years with Baden Bros., at their stores in Elk City, and Independence. September 4, 1882, he, in company with Baden Bros., and Mr. A. C. Sewell, began trade in Elk City on his own account, firm Baden Bros., & Co. April 30, 1883, this firm dissolved, and on May 4, Mr. Kelley established the new firm of Kelley & Sewell. They carry a large stock of general merchandise and have flattering prospects of a good trade.
E. D. LEASURE, dealer in lumber, grain and corn, was born in Lee County, Iowa, January 3, 1855. At the age of nine years, he removed with his parents to Polk County, Iowa, and located in Des Moines City. He was educated in the common schools and the Quincy Business College, of Quincy, Ill. He took a very complete business course, extending through two years and received a diploma. In 1878, he came to Kansas and was employed by G. B. Shaw & Co., of Kansas City, Mo., as salesman in lumber and October 7, 1882, took charge of their business in Elk City. He handles lumber and building materials of all kinds, also corn, and buys grain. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
E. E. MASTERMAN, druggist, was born in the western part of New York, August 3, 185?. His mother died when he was a child, and his father removed to Wisconsin, and after a short stop there to Washington County, Ind. Here he grew to manhood, and was educated in a seminary at Salem. He clerked in the dry goods trade until 1873, when he came to Kansas, and located at Parsons, where he clerked three years for W. C. Holmes. In 1876 he came to Montgomery County, settled first at Independence, and was a salesman in J. H. P??h's drug store. In November, 1881 he moved to Elk City, and bought a drug store. Here he is still found in business, prosperous and happy. He carries a fine stock of drugs, patent medicines, books, stationary and sundries. He is a Mason, and has attained to the Knight Templars degree.
J. P. MORGAN, proprietor of the Eagle Hotel, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 4, 1837. He learned black smithing and in 1857 moved to Iroquois County, Ill., where he lived until the war. In May, 1861, he enlisted in company I, Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry for the three month's service. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company I of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry as a private. He served in the Fifteenth Corps. and in the Trans-Mississippi Department. Took part in the battles of Vicksburg, Arkansas Post and many others. December 29, 1862, was wounded by a double gun shot wounded in the right leg, after which he was in the Hospital Service as nurse, wardmaster and hospital steward. At the expiration of his term of enlistment, he was mustered out and returned home. In the spring of 1866, he removed to Monona County, Iowa, but in the following spring returned to his old home, but the same fall moved to Kansas City, Mo. In 1868 came into Kansas and located in Wilson County, where he engaged in farming. In the spring of 1869 he sold out and came to Elk City and engaged in business. Was the first blacksmith in town. He has lived here since with the exception of the year 1881, which he spent in New Mexico. In 1877 he began keeping a hotel in Elk City, and in 1882 he became proprietor of the Eagle Hotel which he still manages. He has been Deputy Sheriff, City Council and City Treasurer. He was married December 31, 1857, in Iroquois County, Ill., to Miss Sibyl E. Byers. They have three children - Francis B., Viola Leona, now Mrs. Dr. G. F. Woodring, and Lena Viroqua.
WILLARD MUSSON, miller, was born in Erie County, Pa., January 1, 1840. When a child his mother died and his father removed with him to New York. At four years of age he accompanied his father to Manitowoc, Wis. In 1857 they removed to Campaign County, Ill, where he lived until the civil war. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Company H of the One Hundred and Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served as an enlisted man three years and was mustered out as Orderly Sergeant at the expiration of his term of service. He returned to Illinois and returned to Cerro Gordo, Platt County, and engaged in milling. In 1867 he moved to Cobden, Union County, and was the foreman of a lumber company until October, 1878, when he came to Kansas and settled in Elk City and bought an interest in the Elk City Mills, the firm of Wright, Musson & Behrens. He is now serving his third term as a member of the City Council. He belongs to the Masonic Order and the G. A. R. He was married in July, 1867, at Cerro Gordo, Ill., to Miss Isabella L. Doyle. They have two children, May and Leighton.
W. C. NEWKIRK, farmer, P. O. Elk City, was born in Jackson County, Ind., March 26, 1838. He was raised a farmer; enlisted October 9, 1861, in Company G, Fiftieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Army of Tennessee and took part in all the battles of his regiment. He was a private, Corporal, Sergeant and then Orderly Sergeant. He was promoted Second Lieutenant of his company in the fall of 1863, First Lieutenant six months thereafter, and Captain, February, 1865, having re-enlisted as a veteran. He returned to Indiana and engaged in farming. In 1871 he came to Kansas and settled in Louisburg Township, Montgomery County. Here he has been engaged in farming and stock raising ever since. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married August 20, 1864, at Bedford, Ind., to Miss Sarah B. Reynolds, of Lawrence County, Ind. They have seven children, Thomas R., William T., Frederic R., James L., Robert L., Alonzo and Sylvia Belle.
J. G. PAINE, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Hallowell, Me., March 15, 1834. In 1842 he removed, with his parents, to Chicago, Ill. He was educated in the Public Schools of that city and by a private tutor. In 1857, with his father, he came to Kansas and located in Lynn Co., where they engaged in farming. August 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, of the Twelfth Kansas, and was afterwards made Hospital Steward. He was mustered out of the army July 20, 1865, and returned to his farm, where he lived until 1873, when he sold out and came to Montgomery County, located near Independence and engaged in the dairy business for two years. He again sold his farming interest and removed to Elk City and began business as a merchant. He has a very large stock of merchandise and does a very heavy business. He also buys, feeds and ships live stock to Eastern markets. He was Mayor of Elk City in 1877, and has been a member of the School Board for several years. He was married January 25, 1868, in Lynn County, Kan., to Miss Emma Dean.
H. C. PERDUE, M. D., dealer in hardware, was born in Kanawha Co., W. Va., September 14, 1820. In 1837 he went to Knox County, Ind., where he was engaged in the study of medicine, and lived there three years. He took the course at McDowell College, St. Louis graduating with the class of 1842. He practiced many years in Illinois, and in 1873 came to Kansas locating at Osborne City, in Osborne County. In 1880 he entered the St. Joseph (Mo.) Hospital Medical College and received a diploma from that institution. In November, 1880, he moved to Galena, Cherokee County, and began business as a druggist and grocer, and did an office practice in his profession. April 1, 1883, he sold his business and removed to Elk City. In May, same year, he bought an interest in the hardware trade with J. W. Ewing, firm of Ewing & Perdue. He is also willing to do professional work in office, but attends no calls. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married September 3, 1846, in Le Claire, Iowa, to Miss S. E. Eads. They had one daughter, Minnie, now Mrs. Edwin Hardin, of New York city. Mrs. Perdue was deceased in 1846, and again, February 9, 1881, at Salem, Kan., he was married to Mrs. S. A. Stevens.
A. R. QUIGG, dealer in hardware, was born in Wayne County, Ind., April 14, 1843. He enlisted August 6, 1862, in Company E, Sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, August 30, 1862. He was wounded by a gunshot wound at the battle of Richmond, Ky., the ball passing through both thighs. He was discharged on account of disability, in the fall of 1863, and returned to Indiana, where he was in school for a year. He was engaged in farming until 1866, when he removed to Kansas and located in Johnson County. He removed to Ottawa, Franklin County, in the fall of 1866, and removed to LeRoy, Coffey County, in 1867, where he was engaged in the building business. In October, 1870, came to Montgomery County and settled at Elk City; followed carpentry, cabinet-making and undertaking. In the fall of 1877 he began business as a hardware merchant. He carries a general stock of hardware, agricultural implements and sundries. He was Township Treasurer in 1872 and 1873 and Clerk in 1874. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married May 4, 1871, at LeRoy, Kansas, to Miss M. J. Sutton. They have three children - Bobbie, Emma and Frank.
A. C. ROGERS, dealer in furniture, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, January 22, 1847. In the spring of 1866 he moved to Kosciusko County, Ind., settled at Etna Green and worked in a saw mill for two years. in 1868 he went to DeKalb County, Mo., settling six miles north of Maysville, where he worked on a farm for two years. In 1870 he went to Nuckolis County, Neb., took a homestead, remained on it for five years, sold out and removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he was a carpenter for three years. In 1878 he came to Kansas, locating three miles from Chetopa, where he bought a farm. He lived there until June, 1882, when he sold out and moved to Elk City, Montgomery Co., and began business as a merchant in furniture. He has a good stock of furniture, carpets and house furnishing goods of various kinds. He also keeps a full and complete stock of undertakers' goods and an elegant hearse. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married January 5, 1878, in Van Buren County, Iowa, to Miss Sarah A. Harvey. They have one child, John B., born march 28, 1879.
JOHN C. SMITH, dealer in furniture, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., March 3, 1837 At the age of ten years he went to Clay County, Ill., and lived with Mr. Harrison Rayburn, near Louisville, until of legal age. In 1859, he returned to Indiana, and February 26, 1859, he was married in Orange County to Miss Mary J. Wright, who died March 29,1859. The following year he returned to Clay County, Ill., but after one year's residence he returned to Indiana, and July 4, 1861, enlisted in Company G, of the Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served three years as an enlisted man, and was mustered out as Sergeant. He took part in the battles of Shiloh, Champion Hill, Siege of Vicksburg, Jackson and the campaign under Gen. Banks. After the war he returned to Louisville, Ill., and engaged in carpentry until 1878, when he came to Elk City, Kansas. He worked at carpentry for two years, and in 1881 began business as a merchant in furniture. He carries a general stock of furniture, undertaker's goods., carpets, curtains, mattresses and house furnishing sundries. He has been on the City Council, belongs to the Masons and the G. A. R. January 22, 1867, he was again married to Miss Annie Bead, in Greensburg, Ind. They have three children - Cora Jessamine, Harry L. and Cyrus D.
CHARLES W. STANTON, farmer, P. O. Elk City, was born in Cortland County, N. Y., February 18, 1836. He was educated at McGrawville College, in his native county, and learned the machinist's trade. In 1856 he went to Chicago, Ill., where he worked a year as a molder, and then returned to his home in New York, where he was in College two years. In the fall of 1860 he went to St. Louis, Mo., and in the following spring to Springfield, Ill., where he worked at his trade until the war began, when in May, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out Second Lieutenant. In an assault upon the works of Vicksburg, May 22, 1863, he was wounded by a gunshot through the body, but which, fortunately, did not prove fatal. In July, 1865, was promoted to First Lieutenant of the company, and at the battle of Nashville was again wounded, receiving a fragment of shell in his left shoulder. While in the hospital was commissioned Captain, but not being able for active service was not mustered. He was mustered out as First Lieutenant, June 20, 1865, and returned to Springfield, Ill., where he remained two years in a disabled condition. He then removed to Illiopolis, in the same county, and was in business as a dealer in hardware, agricultural implements, etc. In 1869, moved to Du Quoin, Ill., and was employed in running a stationary engine. In 1872 he came to Kansas, locating a farm in Louisburg Township. In 1880 he sold his farm and bought another half a mile north of Elk City, where he now resides. He is a member of the G. A. R., and of the A., F. & A. M. He was married at Decatur, Ill., November 7, 1864, to Miss Almira Cox. They have five children - Elmira E., Armenia C., Charles B., Edwin M. and Clara V. Mr. Stanton is at present engaged as a newspaper correspondent for local and other papers.
WILLIAM STEWART, Mayor of Elk City, was born in Illinois, September 15, 1833, When a child of one year, his parents moved to Missouri and settled in Miller County. At the age of five years he lost his mother, his father dying when he was seven years old. He lived with his step-mother until sixteen years of age, and then began business for himself. His parents had moved to Miller County. Mo., and here he worked on a farm until sixteen years of age, and clerked in a store in Tuscumbia one year. He then worked at carpentry, and has worked at the business most of his life since. In 1878, he removed to Kansas and settled in Lynn County, where he engaged in farming. In 1861, bought a farm and began as a merchant in Xenia, July 30, 1861. He enlisted in Company C, of the Sixth Kansas Volunteers, and in October the company was transferred to the Fourth Kansas and designated Company D. Served one year, and was mustered out by order of the War Department on account of irregularity in mustering. He returned home, sold his farm and removed to Xenia, and continued in the mercantile business until the fall of 1867, when he sold out and again engaged in carpentry. In the spring of 1871 he removed to Montgomery County. Settled in Rutland Township, where he lived until 1879, when he sold his farm, removed to Elk City, and contracted and built that year, four station houses for the K. C. L. & S. K. R. R. After these contracts were finished he returned to Elk City, and has been in business here since. While in Bourbon County he was Township Trustee for five years of Franklin Township. In 1873, he was Trustee of Rutland Township, Montgomery County. In 1875 he was elected Representative from Montgomery County to the Legislature, and served in the session of 1876. He was a member of the Committee on State Printing and Cities of the second class. In 1882 he was elected Justice of the the[sic] Peace for Louisburg Township, and in 1883 Mayor of Elk City, and is now holding both these last named offices. He was married August 4, 1853, in Tuscumbia, Mo., to Miss Rebecca J. Smith. They have eight children - John C., Hester E., now Mrs. J. N. Rice; Charles J., Edward H., Francis M., Amanda, Levi G. and William A.
J. P. SWATZWELL, collector, was born in Cocke County, Tenn. July 16, 1838. In 1840 his parents moved to Christian County, Ky., where he lived until the war. September 4, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, of the Seventeenth Kentucky Cavalry, as the Orderly Sergeant of the company. He was mustered out of service by reason of the expiration of term of service, October 4, 1865. He returned to his home and worked at wagonmaking until 1869, when he came to Kansas, located at Ottawa, and in August, 1870, moved to Elk City, where he engaged in the wagonmaking trade. He afterwards was a merchant in drugs, and then in dry goods. For the last three years he has been in the collecting business. He is a member of the Masonic order; is a past master, and is now secretary of Carson Lodge, No. 132, of Elk City. He was married December, 13, 1859 in Caldwell County, Ky., to Miss Mary B. Freeman. They have three children - Philip L., Susan Anna., Robert B.
F. E. TURNER banker, was born near Hamilton, Canada, July 7, 1851. At the age of four years his parents removed to Niagara Falls, N. Y. where they lived eight years, and thence moved to Wilson, N. Y. In 1867 Mr. Turner engaged in trade at Lockport, N. Y., and from that city came to Kansas in 1869. He engaged in trade in Elk City, and has been successful in business. In the spring of 188? he established the Elk City bank, and the following fall he sold his drug store to E. E. Masterman. The bank does a very large business, and accommodates a large territory; also does a large business in real estate, insurance, and invests money for non-residents in farm security. He has been a member of the City Council. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married October 30, 1879, at Lockport, N. Y., to Miss Fannie Grace Ferguson. They have one child, George Robert, born January 3, 1882.
W. W. WOODRING, M. D., was born in Harding County, Ky., May 25, 1840. Was educated at the Indiana State University, of Bloomington, and studied medicine at Leesville, Ind. He attended the Medical College of the Louisville University one year, and took his second course at the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, graduating in 1867. He located in Hiltonville, Lawrence Co., Ind., and continued in practice there until April, 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating at Elk City, Montgomery County, the first physician in Louisburg, and probably the first in the county. In those days his practice was in a region of country extending south and west eighty miles. He has been township treasurer two years. He is a Mason of K. T. degree, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married August 17, 1865, in Lawrence County, Ind., to Miss Phoebe Ray. They have two children - Samuel T. and William H.
JOHN WRIGHT, druggist, was born in Prescott, Canada West, October 20, 1843. In 1856 he came to the United States with his parents, who settled in Weston, Mo., Platte County. In 1857 the family moved to Kansas and engaged in sawing lumber at Kickapoo, Leavenworth County. In 1860 their mill burned, which was immediately re-built. In 1862 he went to Idaho. Engaged in mining. In fall of 1864 returned to Kickapoo and again engaged in the lumber trade. In 1868 he moved to Ottawa, Kansas., and in 1869 purchased another mill and moved to Parker, the firm then being Wright & Kirby. In 1870 he sold his interest to his partners and engaged in the hardware and grocery business. Same year sold out. In 1873 he and his brother purchased the Elk City flouring mill and operated it together until 1876, when he sold out his interest to his brother and afterward engaged in the furniture trade at Elk City. After two years in this trade he sold the business, and in 1880 went to New Mexico, and again engaged in saw milling near Santa Fe. In January, 1883, he returned to Elk City and bought an interest in a drug store, the firm being Stiles, Bagsley & Wright. Here he is still in business, carrying a good stock of drugs, patent medicines, and sundries. He is a member of the K. of H. He was married June 12, 1866, in Leavenworth County, Kan., to Miss Kate Connell. They have four children - William J., Robert M., Walter J. and May.