|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SHAW - WOODROW).
CYRUS SHAW, was born in Hamilton, Ohio, March 8, 1829. He was educated in the common schools of Indiana and brought up on a farm until eighteen years of age. He then entered a store as a merchant's clerk and was soon in business for himself. In 1854, he came to Kansas, located at Paola where he served for some time as clerk in the store of the noted Indian chief Baptiste Peoria. He was subsequently engaged in mercantile business for himself about two years. He was elected the first Treasurer of Lykins County, now Miami. In 1858 he received a contract for carrying the mail between Kansas City and Fort Scott. He ran the first four horse stage over that route and continued that business four years. He was subsequently engaged in milling at Paola. He was elected County Commissioner in 1867. Was re-elected and held the position until 1871. He has been connected with the Miami County Bank since February, 1879, in the capacity of bookkeeper.
AUGUST SHERMAN, junior partner of Edmiston & Sherman, liverymen was born in Prussia, in 1848, and came to America in 1855. He made his home at first in Warren County, Mo., and moved to Paola, Kan., in 1868, and has been a resident of this place since. He formed a partnership in the livery business with Mr. M. B. Edmiston in October, 1879.
G. H. SHERMAN, watchmaker and jeweler, established his business in Paola in 1868. He was born in the State of New York. When ten years of age moved to Rock County, Wis., learned the watchmaker's trade, at Beloit, then removed to Rockford, Ill., where he worked at his trade. He subsequently returned to Wisconsin and engaged in business in his line at Ripon. In 1868, he came to Paola and entered into business. With the exception of about three years, when he was in poor health, he has been in business here continuously. Mr. Sherman carries a general stock of watches, jewelry and silverware and does all work in his line.
B. J. SHERIDAN, editor of the The Western Spirit is of Irish descent; was born in Armstrong County, Pa., August 27, 1852; located with his parents in Miami County, Kan., in 1859, where, with the exception of eight years, he has ever since resided. His educational training was wholly in the common schools. At the age of sixteen he commenced teaching and continued for several years. In November, 1875, he married Ella Wise. Twice the Democratic candidate for County Clerk; he was elected, and declining renomination, closed his official term in January, 1882. Since 1880 he has had an interest in The Western Spirit and at present is half owner and editor.
JOHN C. SHERIDAN, County Attorney, was born in Pennsylvania, June 22, 1854, and came to Kansas with his parents in 1858, and located near Paola; in the fall of 1860 moved to Missouri and from there to Wisconsin during the first year of the war. Subsequently to Ohio and returned to Paola, Kan., in 1868. Mr. Sheridan was educated at the State University of Michigan and graduated from the law department in 1879; he was admitted to practice in the courts of Michigan, and returned to Paola to practice his profession. He was elected and served as City Attorney of this place for 1881-82; at the fall election of the latter year, he was elected County Attorney of Miami County.
HON. BENJAMIN F. SIMPSON, United States Marshall for the District of Kansas, was born in Belmont County, Ohio in 1836. Received an academic education and was admitted to the bar in 1857. He came to Kansas in the spring of that year and located at Paola, where he has since resided. He was elected County Attorney of Miami County in 1858. In 1859 he was chosen a delegate to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention and in 1860 was elected to the Territorial Legislature. Upon the admission of Kansas to the Union he was chosen Attorney General, which position he resigned in July, 1861 to enter the army, where he served a a Captain and Major of cavalry, and was mustered out with his regiment in October, 1865. Within a month after his return from the war he was elected to the State Senate. He was chosen a delegate to the National Republican Convention which met at Chicago in 1868 and served upon the committee on resolutions in that body. In 1870 he was elected to the House of Representatives and was Speaker of the House during the session of 1871-72. He was elected delegate to the National Republican Convention at Philadelphia and was chairman of the Kansas delegation. In the fall of 1876 he was elected to the State Senate as a Republican and was chairman of the committee on judiciary of that body. April 9, 1877 he was appointed by the Judges of the Supreme Court of the State of the Commission to revive the statues of the State. He was appointed United States Marshall for the District of Kansas in 1878 and at this writing, 1882, is still holding that position. Mr. Simpson's record shows that he has been successful in the practice of his profession. That as a soldier he won a honorable promotion, while in the political field he has been equally successful, having held important public trust, and repeatedly represented his party in State and National Conventions.
SAMUEL R. SMITH, president of the Bank of Paola, was born in Tioga County, Pa., came to Kansas in 1863 and located at Osawatomie, Miami County. He was elected County Treasurer in 1875, and came to Paola in discharge of his duties. He was re-elected and served two terms. In June, 1881, he was instrumental in organizing the Bank of Paola and was elected its president, a position he still holds. The Bank of Paola was organized under the general laws of Kansas, in June, 1881, with a capital of $50,000 which at this writing is all paid up. Mr. Samuel R. Smith was elected president and George P. Graham cashier. Mr. Graham resigned his position and was succeeded July 1, 1882, by Mr. J. A. Gilmore, the present efficient cashier. The bank, although young, is classed among the solid financial institutions of the State and has built up a successful business.
R. G. STEWART, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Paola, was born in Warren County, Ohio, in July, 1814. He was brought up a farmer and emigrated to Kansas in the spring of 1869. He settled on the beautiful farm he now occupies, which lies adjacent to the village of Paola. Being situated on an elevated tract his residence commands a fine view of the village and surrounding country. The farm proper and lands adjacent belonging to his sons embrace 788 acres. He also owns 160 acres four miles north of La Cygne, in Miami County. He has four sons, Flavins A. who was a soldier of the late war, Cassius N., John C., and Ivy V., all residents of Miami County.
JUSTICE C. TAYLOR, County Clerk, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in July, 1844. When in his seventeenth year, April, 1861, he enlisted on the first call for troops in the late war, as a private of Company A., Third Ohio Infantry (three months' men). At the expiration of his term of enlistment, he re-enlisted in August, 1861 as a private of Company B. First Ohio Cavalry for three years and served in all three years and seven months. On his return to Ohio he studied dentistry and practiced that profession in his native State until December, 1865, when he emigrated to Kansas, and established himself in practice at Paola. One year later he engaged in the marble business. He was subsequently employed as clerk in the Miami County Bank, about three years, and also held the office of City Clerk several years. In the fall of 1881 he was elected to his present position, Clerk of Miami County.
JOHN L. VICKERS, deceased, Section 23, P. O. Paola, has a well-cultivated farm of 140 acres. Mr. Vickers was born in Dorchester County, Md., in 1827. He was brought up a farmer and moved to Illinois in 1854, and from there to Kansas in 1857. He reached Paola April 16th of that year. He spent two years in Paola village, two years near Spring Hill of this county and then purchased and moved onto his present farm, During the late war he was enrolled a member of Captain Wagstaff's Company of Kansas Militia and did guard duty in protecting the State from raids of the enemy. He died in 1883.
J. E. WALLACE, druggist and dealer in musical instruments, established his business in 1876, and carries an average stock of $7,000. He was born in Delaware, and came to Paola in 1870. He served five years as clerk with Mr. George Mitcheler; was elected Clerk of the District Court in 1875 and resigned in 1876, to go into the drug business with Mr. McLachlin, under the firm name of McLachlin & Wallace. In 1881 he bought out Mr. McLaughlin and has since operated alone. He has a well stocked store of drugs, patent medicines, stationary and musical instruments.
JUDGE WILLIAM R. WAGSTAFF, Judge of the tenth Judicial District of Kansas. The subject of this sketch was born in Allegheny County, Pa., July 18, 1823, son of James and Eva (Ross) Wagstaff. His forefathers were soldiers of the Revolutionary War and of the War of 1812. He went with his parents to Southeastern Ohio, received his primary education in the common schools and subsequently took a four-years course in the Muskingum College, New Concord, Pa. He studied law at Cambridge, Ohio, in the office of Rennon & White, and was admitted to practice in 1849 at Wooster, Wayne County, at a session of the supreme court of Ohio. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession as a full partner of his former preceptor, Mr. J. M. White. He continued this connection one year, when he purchased the Guernsey Jeffersonian a Democratic paper, which he conducted with marked success, two years. He then sold out and re-sumed the practice of his profession in company with Mr. Mathew Gaston at Cambridge. He continued this connection until 1857, when he sold out and immigrated to Kansas, then a sparsely settled territory whole people were agitated and turbulent over the question of the extension or non-extension of slavery into the Territories. He arrived here in January, 1857, and spent the first year in travel throughout the Territory. He located near Paola in the spring of 1858, where he started a saw-mill and purchased considerable property. He opened a law office in Paola and entered upon the practice of his profession. He was appointed General Agent for the town site of Paola. He formed a law partnership with Mr. B. F. Simpson, which continued until 1861, and was then dissolved by Mr. Simpson entering the army. He was elected, on the Democratic ticket in 1859, a member of the Territorial Legislature, representing the counties of Linn and Miami, defeating the celebrated James Montgomery for that office., although the balance of the Democratic tickets was defeated by about 880 votes. He served on important committees, and took a prominent part in the business of the session. He was re-elected in 1861, without opposition, to represent Linn, Miami and Bourbon counties. He was one of the Board of Managers on the impeachment of State officers, and made the opening argument on the final trial of the Secretary of State. In 1862, he was a candidate for Governor on the anti-Lane ticket, but was defeated by Thomas Carney, the Republican nominee. He has been chosen, at different times, the Democratic candidate for Associate Judge, and for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. During the war, he was Aid-de-Camp on the staff of Gov. Robinson, and under his authority organized a force in defense of Kansas, and served from the beginning til the winter of 1864. He was one of the original corporators of the Mo. R., Ft. S. & G. R. R. and for five years was a prominent director of its management; during the two years its regular attorney. In 1881, he was elected Judge of the Tenth Judicial District, defeating Judge Stevens, the regular Republican nominee and is the first Democrat elected a Judge of the District Courts of Kansas. Garfield's majority in the district was 7,000. Judge Wagstaff carried it by 112, having a name endorsement in Miami County of 700. He is a Mason of forty years standing. Has been master of Paola Lodge No. 37 ten years and is a R. A. M.
JOHN WHERRELL, Principal and General Superintendent of the Normal and City schools. Mr. W. is a native of Wiltshire, England and was born in 1843. He emigrated to America in 1854, and located in Canada, where he remained for nine years. In 1863 he moved to Buffalo, N. Y. and completed his education in the high schools of that city, and in the Buffalo University. He began his career as a teacher in one of the graded schools of Buffalo in 1867. He taught there two years and came to Kansas in 1869. He taught the natural sciences in the Leavenworth High School until 1871, when on the completion of the State Normal School of that city, he was appointed to the same position in that institution. During the last three years of the existence of that school, he served as its President. In 1876 he was elected Superintendent of the city schools of Leavenworth; held the position for two years, and was elected for the third term and resigned to come to Paola, and accepted his present position. Mr. W. has virtually assumed the responsibility of making the schools of this town a success, under the peculiar terms of his contract with the city. He has a lease of the building for ten years, five of which are now past, and under his management the arrangement has proven an entire success (see sketch of city and Normal school).
L. D. WHITE, of the firm of White & Roscoe, druggists, was born in Tennessee. Came to Kansas in 1857 while only a child, and has resided in this State continuously since. He formed a partnership with Dr. Gossett, in the drug business, under the firm name of White & Gossett. In 1882, Dr. Gossett retired from the business and Mr. Roscoe was taken as a partner in his stead, and the firm became White & Roscoe. The junior partner, Mr. Roscoe, was born in Osawatomie, Kan., in 1859, and has been a resident of Paola about five years.
JAMES C. WOODROW, Agent of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf R. R. was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1848. When ten years of age he removed to Illinois, and from there to Indiana. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company F, Seventy-third Indiana, as a private. Was promoted to First Lieutenant and served three years, or until the close of the war. He was captured near Rome, Ga., May 3, 1863; was held at Libby Prison, Richmond, Va. one year. Was then removed to Macon, Ga., thence to Charleston, S. C. where he, in company with a number of other Union officers, was placed under fire during the bombardment of that city by the United States forces. He was next removed to Columbia, S. C. from whence he escaped and after three weeks was re-captured and was next taken to Charlotte and repeated his experience of Columbia; and being re-captured, he was next removed to Goldsborough and paroled in May, 1865. Soon after the war closed he located at Coldwater, Mich., he came to Ottawa, Kas., in 1867, remaining two years, then going to Independence, Kas., living there until 1877, being one of its oldest settlers. He then went to Kansas City, Mo., and entered the service of the K. C. F. S. & G. R. R. and continued in the Kansas City office until June 12, 1882, when he was assigned to his present position in Paola.
This historic town is located in the southwest part of Miami County, on the Marais des Cygnes, about one mile above the mouth of the Pottawatomie Creek. The surrounding country is partly timber, partly open, rolling prairies, and quite picturesque. A high railroad bridge crosses the Marais des Cygnes from the north side of the town, and about one half mile below, an iron bridge with about two hundred feet span crosses this same river.
The original town company was composed of Orville C. Brown, President; S. C. Pomeroy and Mr. Ward, of New York. The town site was surveyed in February, 1855, by A. D. Searl. The name Osawatomie was formed by combining Osa, of Osage, with "watomie" of Pottawatomie, the creek by the latter name uniting just below with the Marais des Cygnes, and forming the Osage River (according to early chroniclers).
The first building on the town site was erected by Samuel Geer. it was used by him for a dwelling and boarding house. The first blacksmith was Mr. Holdridge, in 1855, and the same year Dr. Darr opened a drug store. the first child born was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Foster, in December, 1854. The first marriage was that of Andrew Doler, to Miss Hughes, in the fall of 1854, and the first natural death that of a child of John R. Everett, early in 1855. During the same year John Serpell, who lived near Osawatomie, was accidentally drowned in the Marais des Cygnes while bathing. The first lawyer in the town was C. H. Crane. Samuel Geer opened the first store in 1855, and also kept the first hotel which was burned at the sacking of Osawatomie in 1856. He was also the first Postmaster, being appointed December 21, 1855, when the postoffice was first established. In 1858 he built a two story frame hotel 40 x 50 feet, costing $3,000. It was in this hotel that Horace Greeley made a speech to an assembly of about 5,000 people in the spring of 1859, at the organization of the republican party in Kansas.
The first church organized was the Congregational, in April, 1856, by Rev. S. L. Adair. Until 1861 the society held services in private houses and the schoolhouse, when they built their present stone church edifice at a cost of $2,150. Membership at the time of organization, 7; present membership, 18. Mr. Adair has, with the exception of three years, been pastor of this church since its organization.
The Emigrant Aid Company, which selected the location for the town, sent out a saw-mill in 1855, and Barker to one set it up and manage it. It was a circular mill, propelled by steam and of great use to the early settlers. It was located on the south bank of the Marais des Cygnes, about a half mile below the town site.
The "First Battle of Osawatomie" occurred June 7, 12856, when John W. Whitfield, with about 170 Missourians, plundered it. At this time there was no killing of the inhabitants nor burning of their dwellings. The town was almost entirely defenseless, of which fact Whitfield had been informed by a young man, a stranger, who had for a week previously been boarding at Mr. Geer's and who acted a as guide to Whitfield's forces. Several dwellings and stores were plundered, and horses carried off. The village, at this time, consisted of about thirty buildings, actual population about 200.
The "Second Battle of Osawatomie" occurred August 30, 1856, a full account of which is given in the general history of the county. Notwithstanding these battles and the general troubles of the times, Osawatomie grew and prospered, and in 1857 was a town of considerable importance, having a population of about 800, 200 of whom were voters. Since this time it has made but little progress, has rather declined. At the present time it contains two general stores, two groceries, two hardware, one drug, and one furniture store, one lumber yard, two hotels, three blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, two churches and about 600 inhabitants.
THE INSANE ASYLUM.
This institution was established for the benefit of the insane of Kansas. It is located about one mile northeast of Osawatomie, on high ground overlooking the surrounding country. By an act of the Legislature, approved March 2, 12863, William Chesnut, of Miami County; I. Hiner, of Anderson, and James Hanway, of Franklin, were appointed commissioners to locate the Asylum, and instructed to locate in in Osawatomie Township, on a tract of not less than 160 acres of land, affording practicable building stone, water and other facilities for the erection of suitable buildings, title to the land to be secured in fee simple to the state by donation.
By an act approved February 1, 1865, a board of three trustees was to appointed by the Governor, each to hold office six years, one of whom was to be appointed every two years. Under this act, Hon. James Hanway, Rev. S. L. Adair and A. Gove, were appointed the first Board of Trustees. Under the law approved March 6, 1873, the number of trustees was changed to six, each holding office for three years, two being appointed each year. By an act approved March 4, 1876, and which took effect March 10, the asylums for the blind, for the deaf and dumb, and for the insane were all placed in control of one board of five trustees, called the state Board of Charitable Institutions. the first board under this law consisted of Thomas T. Taylor, W. B. Slosson, John T. Lanter, John H. Smith and Joseph P. Bauserman.
The resident officers of the asylum, consist of a superintendent, steward and matron. The superintendents, with the commencement of their terms of service, have been as follows: Drs. C. O. Gause, May, 1866; W. W. Updegraff, May, 1869; C. O. Gause, November, 1869; C. P. Lee, November, 1871; L. W. Jacobs, November, 1872; A. H. Knapp, November, 1873; S. B. West, spring of 1877; A. P. Tenney, November, 1877; A. H. Knapp, present incumbent, November, 1978.
The institution owns 160 acres of land and numerous buildings. The main building consists of the central part and two wings, erected at different times since 1866, and completed in 1881, at a total cost of $350,000. In addition there are a dwelling house, ice house, barn and cow stable.
Previously to 1874, each county supported its own insane asylum, but during the Legislature session of that year an act was passed by which the Insane Asylum was placed upon the same basis as to support with the other State Institutions and has since been supported by appropriations from the state Treasury.
The following tables show the annual appropriations for the support of the institution since 1866, the number of patients admitted, number discharged, etc., was compiled for this work by Dr. A. H. Knapp, Superintendent of the Asylum.
THE SOLDIERS' MONUMENT.
The Osawatomie Monumental Association was organized August 6, 1872, the trustees being H. B. Smith, H. H. Williams, and Rev. S. L. Adair. The Charter of the association is dated November 4, 1872. the object was "to erect a monument to the martyrs who fell in the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856." The bodies of these martyrs were removed from their original resting places, and re-interred in 1860, in a private cemetery in the west part of the town, donated for that special purpose by Charles A. Foster.
The monument which stands immediately over the graves of the martyrs, was prepared and erected by the Hallway Bros. of Lane. It was dedicated August 30, 1877, the twenty-first anniversary of the battle. Just previous to its erection, a suggestion was made to the association, that it would be appropriate to also place an inscription on it in commemoration of John Brown, Sr. who commanded the battle. This suggestion was acted upon, and accordingly the monument bears the following inscriptions:
West Side-Frederick Brown, son of Capt. John Brown, born December 21, 1830. In commemoration of those who, on the 30th of August, 1856, gave up their lives at the battle of Osawatomie, in defense of freedom.
North Side-This inscription is also in commemoration of the heroism of Capt. John Brown, who commanded at the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856; who died and conquered American slavery on the scaffold at Charleston, Va., December 2, 1859.
Placing this inscription upon the monument has caused the original and primary object of the association to be obscured. It gave color and tone to the dedicatory orations and exercises, quite different from what they would otherwise have been, and caused the monument itself to be called "John Brown's Monument" which it was not designed to be and is not, but is the Monument of the Martyrs who fell at the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856.
The Dedication of the Monument- The monument erected to commemorate the martyrs to liberty who were killed at the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856, was dedicated August 30, 1877. Ex-Gov Charles Robinson, presided, made a brief address, and introduced the orator of the day, Hon. John J. Ingalls. After the eloquent oration of Senator Ingalls had been delivered, addresses were made by Hon. Dudley C. Haskell, Judge James Hanway, Col. D. R. Anthony, John Ritchie, Ex-Gov. Charles Robinson and others.
The citizens of Osawatomie, on the day of the dedication, contributed money to build the white picket fence around the cemetery, and provided dinner for a large number of those present. The number in attendance was about 10,000.
SOCIETIES AND THE PRESS.
Osage Valley Lodge, No. 24, A. F. & A. M was originally organized in October, 1858, with nine charter members, The officers were as follows:-Squires, W. M.; Robert Lapsley, S. W.; Sylvester Underhill, J. W.; Fr. H. S. Greenough, Sec.,; Dr. S. C. Parish, Treas.; L. C. Crittenden, S. D.; L. D. Williams; V. I. Willis and John Sofield.
Osawatomie Lodge, Knights of Honor, No. 2725 was organized in 1882, with eighteen members. The officers were as follows; Reuben Smith, dictator; S. R. Mudge, past dictator; A. F. Meek, financial reporter; William Chestnut, reporter; J. C. Chestnut, treasurer.
Osawatomie Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, No. 26 was organized in January, 1882, with eighteen members and the following officers: Mrs. F. A. Maynard, W. M.; Henry Parker, W. P.; Mrs. Carrie Chestnut, A. M.; A. F. Meek, Sec.; J. C. Chestnut, Treas. the chapter now has twenty-six members.
Thomas Taylor & Brother own a combined saw and grist mill on the Marais des Cygnes, near the mouth of the Pottawatomie. It is propelled by steam during the periods of low water. The saw mill was erected in 1864; the grist mill was added at a later date.
The Southern Kansas Herald was established near the beginning of the year 1857, by Charles E. Griffith. In December, 1858, J. M. Kane bought an interest in the paper, which he retained about a year, selling out to Griffith. July 1, 1860, B. F. Kinter, who had purchased the paper, removed it to Paola, after which it was purchased by Col. G. A. Colton, who changed its name to the Argus and sold it to McReynolds & Kane. In May, 1866, McReynolds sold his interest to Colton. In August the paper was purchased by W. H. Johnson, who removed it to Iola, and it was discontinued in the fall.