|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JACKSON - ROTH).
ERNEST H. JACKSON, Superintendent of Public Instruction of Miami County, was born in Louisville, Ky., January 3, 1858. He came to Kansas with his parents in June, 1859. He was brought up on his father's farm in the town of Miami, Miami County. He received his primary education in the common schools; then took a course at the State University, and subsequently attended the Normal school at Paola, from which he graduated in 1881. He began teaching school in October, 1877, and with the exception of the winter of 1879, while he was attending the Normal school, he has taught continuously, winters, until this date. He was elected on the Democratic ticket in the fall of 1882 to the responsible position of Superintendent of Schools. Mr. Jackson is a gentleman of fine ability and culture, and has just entered upon the discharge of the duties of his office, being the first Democrat to hold that position in this county.
ANDREW JOYCE, farmer, section 23, P. O. Paola, was born in Ohio in 1829; moved to Mahaska County, Iowa in the fall of 1855; remained there until the spring of 1863, then returned to Jackson County, Ohio and in 1870 came to Miami County, Kansas, and engaged in farming. He has a fine farm of 510 acres one and a half miles southeast of the city of Paola.
LOUIS KNOCHE, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Paola, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1829; was a farmer by occupation. Emigrated to America in 1854; made his home at Kansas City, Mo., til 1861. He then came to Paola and purchased his present farm of 160 acres of the Indian chief Baptiste Peoria. Mr. Knoche has served six years as Treasurer of the School Board of his district. During the late war he was enrolled as a member of the State Militia and served as a guard to protect the State from invasion by the Confederates.
JESSE LIGHT, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Paola. Mr. Light is one of the pioneers of Kansas of 1857; was born in Pennsylvania in October, 1820; went to Livingston County, N. Y. with his parents in childhood; was brought up as a farmer; followed that occupation til 1857. He then came to Kansas and purchased a quarter section of land in the town of Paola. The following year he brought his family to their new home. In 1859 he purchased his present farm of 46 acres of the Indian chief Baptists Peoria, and has since made this his home. During the late war he did military duty as a member of the Kansas militia.
AMOS W. LONG, Sheriff of Miami County, is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, and was born in 1831. He was brought up in Ohio. He came to Kansas in 1859 and settled in Linn County. He served in the late war as a private of the Eighty-eighth Ohio Infantry, and served in Kansas during the border war, holding a commission of Captain of Company C, Sixth Kansas Militia, from 1863 to 1865. His father, Samuel Long, who was also a resident of Kansas, was killed during a raid by Price's men, October 26, 1864. Capt. Long was appointed Deputy United States Marshall and served four years., In 1866 he came to Paola and was elected Sheriff of Miami County in the fall of 1879; he was re-elected and is serving his second term.
H. N. MCLACHLIN, senior partner of McLachlin Bros., millers, was born in Washington County, N. Y. In 1839 went to St. Louis in boyhood and came to Kansas in March 1857, and located at Paola, then only an Indian trading post. He was engaged in the mercantile business several years. In 1865, he bought the old Government Barracks and started a furniture factory. The business not proving a success, he resumed business as a merchant, dealing in dry goods and groceries and subsequently in drugs and stationery. He continued in the latter until the spring of 1881 when he sold out and bought the mill property. Among his other ventures, Mr. McLachlin started a cheese factory, which he owned and operated about three years. He is one of the live business men of Paola.
MCLACHLIN BROS. proprietors of Paola Mills and dealers in grain. This firm was organized October 30, 1882. The property was purchased by H. M. McLaughlin in March 1881 and operated by himself until October 30, 1882, when his brother, T. S. bought in and the firm of McLaughlin Bros. was organized. The Paola Mills are fitted with four run of stone and two sets of rolls and the best modern machinery and have a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day. They do a general custom business. An elevator for handling grain is attached to the mill. Their facilities for handling corn are extensive and complete. They have a large corn sheller capable of shelling 400 bushels per hour. At this date, November, 1882, they handle 3,000 bushels daily. A side track to the Missouri Pacific Railroad extends to their doors.
T. H. MCWILLIAMS, farmer and Superintendent of the Miami County Poor Farm or Infirmary, P. O. Paola. Received his first appointment in March, 1874; served four years; was re-appointed in March, 1881, and again in March, 1882 for two years. The poor farm is situated on the southeast quarter of Section 1, Township 17 north, Range 22 east, and contains 160 acres. There are sixty-five acres under cultivation, the balance being timber. The buildings are of brick and wood, and furnish accomodations for twenty-five inmates. The average number cared for is ten, at a cost of $1.75 each per week in addition to the farm products. The farm was established in 1866. Mr. McWilliams was born in Belmont County, Ohio in 1836, removed to Bureau County, Ill., in 1851 and in 1855, to Logan County. In 1866, he came to Miami County, Kan., and located in the town of Osawatomie, was engaged in farming there til he was appointed to his present position in 1874.
MALLORY ABBOTT & CO, hardware merchants. This firm is composed of C. H. Mallory, G. E. and W. C. Abbott. Mr. Mallory the senior partner, purchased the stock and began business in the spring of 1881, and in December, of the same year, sold an interest to G. E. and W. C. Abbott, and these gentlemen organized the firm of Mallory, Abbott & Co. They have a two story capacious brick store with a large wareroom in the rear. They carry a complete stock of hardware, stoves, tinware, iron, steel, fence, wire and wooden work and sewing machine. Their stock averages about $12,000 in value, and is one of the most extensive and complete in the county.
BENEDICK MILLER, carriage manufacturer, was born near Offenburg, Baden, Germany, March 21, 1836; emigrated with his parents to America in 1846, and when thirteen years of age began to fight the battles of life himself. He served a regular apprenticeship of five years at the carriage making trade-three years at Tiffin and two years at Cincinnati, Ohio, and became proficient in the business. In 1854 he engaged in the brewing business near Cincinnati, Ohio, and continued in that line a year and a half. He next worked in various places as journeyman carriage maker until 1860, when he engaged in carriage making at Kansas City, Mo.; not being in sympathy with the succession element of that city, he closed out his business the next spring and moved to Stanton, Miami Co., Kas., and established himself in business in the same line. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Twelfth Kansas Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He then settled in Paola, and in July, 1865, organized a company for the purpose of doing a general wagon and carriage making business. The company was composed of B. Miller, Max. Miller, Isaac Rowcraft and E. C. Canfield, under the firm name of B. Miller, Bro., & Co. Mr. Canfield retired from the same on account of failing health. Mr. Rowcraft died in September, 1866, which left the firm B. Miller & Bro. Early in 1868 the firm erected the substantial brick buildings now in use by Mr. B. Miller. In the spring of 1869 the firm was operating in the new works with eighteen men. Their reputation for good work has brought them more work than they could handle. And here we want to say that Mr. Miller claims the honor of making the first wagon and the first buggy made south of the Kansas River, for which he chopped down the trees on his own land and spliced out the axles, tongue, bolster, and every piece pertaining to the wagon; hauled the logs to the sawmill with an ox team for the plank for the bed and felloes; built his own forge, dug and hauled his own coal, made the woodwork, ironed and painted the wagon, complete with his own hands- and as good a job as was ever completed and put on the road, in four months after cutting the trees. The wagon was sold to Dan. Shipman, and the buggy to ex-Sheriff W. P. Dutton, of Miami County; this work was done near Stanton. In 1861, the firm of B. Miller & Bro., also put the first carload of wagons across the Red River bridge into Texas on the M. K. & T. R. R. Mr. Max Miller retired from the business and devoted his attention to the manufacture of carriages, his business prospered, and in the spring of the long-to-be-remembered 1875, he erected five brick business rooms in one block of Paola that have many millions of the sprightly grasshoppers embalmed in the mortar used in construction. The buildings were completed, and proved a business success in spite of the threatened disaster. He has since enlarged his works, and now has the largest exclusive carriage factory west of St. Louis, Mo. Has a repository in Kansas City, a traveler on the road, and some thirty hands employed in his works and upwards of 300 carriages in his shop and warerooms, either finished or in the process of construction. He is prepared to supply any reasonable demand in his line. Mr. Miller has long been recognized as one of the foremost men in Paola. He has held various public positions, served as Mayor in 1876-77-78. He aided in founding the First National Bank of Paola, and was president of the Citizen's Building and Saving Association. Aided in founding the Bank of Paola, in which he is now a Director. He is also a charter member of the Commercial Mutual Insurance Company of Paola, and its vice-president. Mr. B. Miller is widely known throughout Kansas as one of the pluckiest, energetic and most honest business men of the State and enjoys as pleasant a home as there is in the State, surrounded by a large and healthy family, and his future ought to be bright.
HENRY A. MILLER, County Treasurer, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, March 26, 1849. He enlisted in the late war as a private of Company F, One Hundred and Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry., in July, 1862. He was promoted to First Sergeant and served three years. On his return from the army he came to Kansas and located at Spring Hill, Johnson County, where he was engaged in school teaching and farming, In 1868 he moved to Marysville, Miami County and pursued the occupation of a farmer. In 1879 he was elected Treasurer of Miami County. He was re-elected in 1881 and is now serving his second term.
GEORGE W. MITCHLER, merchant, senior partner of G. W. Mitchler & Sons, a wholesale and retail dealers in dry goods. Mr. Mitchler is one of the pioneer merchants of Kansas, and the house of which he is the head is the oldest and largest in Miami County. He began business in a small way in Kansas, at Leavenworth, in March, 1855, when that place consisted of only half a dozen shanties, and when he had to cover his stock with a tarpaulin to protect from the weather until he built a store. His was the second mercantile establishment at that point, Mr. Mitchler was born in Butler County, Ohio. When fifteen years of age he accompanied his father to Iowa. His father, being a merchant, brought him up to a thorough knowledge of the business. In March, 1855, he established himself in business at Leavenworth, Kas. Two years later he moved to a claim; sold out after one and a half years' residence and moved to Westport, Mo.; spent two years at that place and then came to Paola, Kas., in 1859 and established a general store and has carried on business continuously at this point to date-1883. He gradually enlarged his business as his circumstances would permit, and by always adopting conservative policy has weathered the several commercial storms that have wrecked so many Western merchants. In 1866 he changed the plan of his trade from a general store to strictly dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps. In 1878 he admitted his four sons into the business-Frank, Alvin, Edwin, and Charles-and formed the firm of G. W. Mitchler & Sons. This firm has a large double store and carries an average stock of $40,000.
DR. J. B. NEVIUS, dental surgeon, established his practice at Paola in the spring of 1866. He was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1835; moved to Indiana in 1840, and to Illinois in 1855. He studied dentistry at South Bend, Ind., in 1864 and '65 and in the spring of 1866 came to Paola, Kas., and opened an office. Dr. Nevius is the pioneer dentist of the city, he having opened the first dental rooms in the place and has been in practice here continuously since.
ISAIAH NICHOLSON, farmer and dealer in live stock, Section 16, P. O. Paola, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1830; was brought up a farmer, and when twenty-one years of age went to California (1851) where he was engaged in gold mining about five years. He returned to Ohio in 1857, and in the winter of 1858 and '59 came to Kansas and located in Johnson County, there he engaged in milling, operated both a grist and saw mill. In 1863 he moved to Stanton, Miami County, and engaged in farming and stock business, where he still owns a fine farm of 50 acres, adjoining the southeastern limits of the city. Mr. Nicholson devotes his attention to the feeding and dealing in cattle and hogs, and the management of his two fine farms.
W. G. OAKMAN, of the firm of Oakman & Clover, dealers in real estate. The present firm was organized in 1878. The junior partner, Mr. S. S. Clover, has been in business at Paola in the same line since 1864. Mr. Oakman is a native of Canada, and was born March 30, 1837. He came to the United States in 1850 and made his home at Lockport, N. Y. about two years, then removed to Detroit, Mich., where he remained nine years. He next moved to Western Michigan and in 1868 came to Kansas. He was back and forth between Michigan and Kansas for several years and in 1875 engaged in farming in Miami County. In 1878 he formed a partnership with Mr. Clover in his present business.
LESLIE J. PERRY, Postmaster of Paola, and editor and senior partner of the firm of Perry & Greason, publishers of the Miami Republican. Captain Perry was born in Cass County, Mich., July 15, 1843, son of Dr. Joseph W. Perry; removed to Wisconsin in boyhood, received a common school education and learned the printer's trade, going into the printing office as an apprentice at the early age of eleven years. When not quite eighteen years of age, he enlisted as a private soldier at Oshkosh, Wis., in Captain Bouck's Company E, Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, which afterwards was a portion of the famous "Iron Brigade" in the Army of the Potomac. At the disastrous battle of Bull Run, on the 21st of July, 1861, he was taken prisoner with about sixty others of his regiment, and remained a prisoner in the hands of the rebels for eleven months in the Richmond tobacco factories at Tuscaloosa, Ala. and Salisbury, N. C. After being paroled and finally exchanged, he rejoined his regiment shortly after Chancellorsville, and participated in the battle of Gettysburg, where he was slightly wounded in the knee. He also participated in General Meade's Mine Run campaign in November, 1863. In the winter of 1864 he re-enlisted as a veteran volunteer in Company D, Second Regiment Wisconsin Infantry, and was with his regiment at the battle of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, and in the first battles around Petersburg. With a small detachment of his brigade sent out in June, 1864, under Lieutenant Brooks, of the Sixth Wisconsin Infantry to burn the railroad bridge over the Stanton River, he was again made prisoner and held for nearly nine months in the terrible pens of Andersonville, Ga., and at Charleston and Florence, S. C. On being released early in the Spring of 1865, he rejoined his command, the remnants of which meanwhile had been consolidated with the Sixth Wisconsin, and took part in the brilliant victories at Five Forks, Sailors' Creek, Farmville, and Lee's surrender at Appamattox Court House. His regiment took part in the grand review of the armies at Washington in May, 1865, after the close of the war, and Captain Perry was mustered out of the service on the 6th day of July, 1865, having served four years and three months, having taken part in the first and last battles of the war in the Army of the Potomac. He was complimented by Governor Lucius Fairchild with a brevet as Captain for "distinguished gallantry at the battles of the Wilderness and again at Spotsylvania" On his return to his home in New London, Wis., not quite twenty-two years of age, he was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court of Waupaca County in the fall of 1865, he was re-elected in 1867, and served four years. In 1866 he, with a partner, began the publication of the Waupaca Criterion, A Republican newspaper, which they conducted until 1869. He then sold out and removed to Kansas, worked for short time as a compositor for John Speer, in the office of the Lawrence Daily Tribune In May, 1870, he purchased the Garnett Plaindealer, a Republican paper he conducted until December of that year. While in Garnett, he with A. A. Putnam, short time. In 1871, having disposed of his other interests, he purchased one-half of the Ottawa Journal but soon withdrew from that paper. About this time he also, in company of his brother, S. L. Perry, published the Thayer Criterion in April, 1871, he formed a partnership with Hon. Milton W. Reynolds and began the publication of the Sun newspaper in the then new town of Parsons, Kan. At the same time, as a silent partner with Stephen L. Perry and Charles M. Bright, he bought material and established the Western Spirit in Paola. The first number of the Spirit was issued June 8, 1871, from the basement of the Rainey Block. Personally he remained at Parsons until some time in August of that year, when, liking Paola and the outlook better in Miami County than Southern Kansas, he sold out his interest in the Parsons Sun to Hon. Angell Matthewson. He then came to Paola, purchased the interest of his partners in the Spirit and assumed personal control of the paper, which he continued to own and manage until May, 1878, when he sold out to Messrs. Carroll, Clarke, & Highley, and went into the patent outside publishing business in Kansas City. Through lack of sufficient means, Captain Perry failed in his Kansas City enterprises, losing all his capital and in 1879, he returned to Paola to begin life all over again. He purchased of Colonel Colton the Republican Citizen, a paper which had been started in his absence at Kansas City and continued to run it until the spring of 1880, when he purchased the Miami Republican of J. H. Rice & Sons, and consolidated the two papers, taking as a partner R. P. Rice, of which paper he is still half owner and editor. In 1882, W. D. Greason bought out Rice, and the Republican firm is now Perry & Greason. Captain Perry has always been a Republican and prominently identified with politics since coming to Kansas. In 1870 was chosen delegate to the Republican State Convention from Anderson County and was one of the Secretaries of that body. April, 1872, he was appointed Postmaster of Paola on the recommendation of Congressman David P. Lowe and Senator Pomeroy. He was re-appointed in 1876 through the influence of Senator Ingalls. After holding the office for six years, he resigned to go to Kansas City. In 1876 he was elected a delegate to the Republican State Convention from Miami County, and unanimously chosen Secretary of the Convention. Again, in 1880 he was elected a delegate to the Republican State Convention to choose delegates to the Republican National Convention and in 1882, he was a delegate to the Republican State Congressional Convention to nominate four candidates for Congressmen-at-large, and was also elected a delegate to the regular State Convention to nominate State officials later in the same year. In 1882, he was re-appointed Post master of Paola by President Arthur on the recommendation of Congressman D. C. Haskell and endorsed by both Senators Plumb and Ingalls. He took charge of the office July 1, 1882. Captain Perry was married in May, 1868, to Sarah L. Roberts, of Waupaca, Wis., the youngest daughter of R. R. Roberts, a wealthy merchant of that place.
WILLIAM T. POTTS grocer, began business in Paola, April 1, 1866, and has been in business continuously at that place ever since. Eleven years of this time, dating from the commencement, he was in partnership with G. S. Anderson. In 1877, they dissolved partnership, since which time Mr. Potts has conducted the business alone. He was born in England in 1839. Came to America in childhood, and lived in Missouri till 1861, when he removed to Illinois. He enlisted in the late war as a private of Company E, Seventy-ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, August, 1862, and served till June, 1865. After the close of the war he returned to Illinois, where he remained till the following spring, when he came to Paola, Kansas, and entered upon his present business. Mr. Potts has a well stocked store of groceries, provisions, crockery and queensware, and is doing a prosperous business.
H. L. POULSON, M. D., homoepathic physician and surgeon, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, April 26, 1838. Emigrated to America in 1866; studied medicine with his brother at Council Bluffs, Iowa, took a regular course at the Homoeopathic Medical College of Missouri, and took his degree in 1878. He began practice at Council Bluffs, and remained at that point until 1881, when he removed to Onaga, Kansas, where he pursued his practice until the fall of 1882, when he removed to Paola. Dr. P. is the only physician of his school at this point.
BARNEY REED, proprietor of livery, sale and boarding stable, which business he established in the fall of 1877. He is also proprietor of Reed's Hotel. He keeps a good stock of horses and carriages and has a first-class stable. Mr. Reed is a native of Indiana, and has lived in Illinois and Iowa. He moved from the latter State to Paola, Kansas in 1866. He took possession of his hotel at the close of 1882 on the expiration of the lease of the former occupant, refitted and refurnished it and opened the same for business January 1, 1883. Mr. Reed keeps a first class house and is doing a good business.
ALBERT REICHARD, M. D., eclectic physician and surgeon, son of Dr. Valentine Reichard, was born in Washington County, Md., August 30, 1851. He attended the common schools of his native county, and completed his education at the Millersville (Pa.) Normal School. He then learned the carpenter trade and became a contractor and builder. He was employed also in teaching school during the winter season. In 1874 he came to Kansas and engaged in teaching in Miami County and also worked at this trade as a house builder, and contractor. In 1875 he returned to Maryland and studied medicine with his father a well known physician of Washington County. Returning to Miami County, Kansas he engaged in teaching during the winter season, and during the summer in contracting and building. In 1879 he went East and took a regular course at the Electic Medical Institute of Cincinnati. After three years attendance he graduated in June, 1881, taking the highest honors in a class of 113. His record shows 100 on every head he was examined and he was awarded a gold medal as a compliment to his high scholarship. Immediately after receiving a diploma, he returned to Kansas and established himself in practice at Paola. Dr. Reichard was married, October 10, 1882, at Paola. Having completed and taken possession of a tasty and commodious residence and being the owner of a fine farm in Miami County, Dr. Reichard may safely be set down as one who has come to stay. Of his high career as a physician, he may well be pleased with the splendid practice acquired in so short a time. His brilliant success is no more than a just tribute to his superior ability and skill in his profession.
JOHN MILLEN ROBERTS, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Paola. Mr. Roberts is one of the pioneer settlers of 1858. He was born in Sparta, Livingston Co, N. Y. in 1826, was brought up a farmer and immigrated to Lykins County (now Miami), Kas., in 1859. He purchased his present farm of the Indian chief Baptiste Peoria. His title was disputed by the wife and sons of the chief, and after a tedious litigation lasting six years his title was confirmed in the United States Courts, the Indian chief being his best witness. Mr. Roberts participated in the defense of Kansas from invasion during the late war, being a member of a company of the State troops during the years of 1862, 1862 and 1864. He has served as County Commissioner. He has a fine farm of 305 acres situated just west of the village of Paola.
EZRA W. ROBINSON, Probate Judge of Miami County, was born in Erie County, N. Y. May 15, 1830. He moved to Illinois with his parents in 1840; was educated in the common schools and at the Mount Morris Seminary. He learned the carpenter trade and worked at that occupation in various cities in the South and West. In 1852 he returned to his home in Sycamore, Ill., was appointed Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court, a position which he held two and a half years, reading law at the same time in the office of Hon. John L. Beveridge. He was subsequently employed in various pursuits til March, 1857, when he removed to Lykins County (now Miami), Kas. He was an enthusiastic Free-state man. Was in attendance at the Grasshopper Falls Free State Convention and took an active part in securing to Kansas a Free-state constitution. He was elected Register of Deeds of Lykins County in 1857 and served two years; was appointed Clerk of the District Court in 1858, holding both offices. In 1859 he was elected Clerk of the District Court, which office he held til 1862, when he resigned to enter the army. He was appointed Adjutant of the Cherokee Regiment by President Lincoln and continues in the service about two years. After the close of the war he engaged in farming near Paola. In 1872 he was elected Probate Judge of Miami County and has been re-elected each term since to this date (1883). Judge Robinson was an original Free-state man, voted for Fremont in 1856 and has ever since been a Republican.
N. J. ROSCOE, one of the pioneers of Kansas in 1855, now deputy Treasurer of Miami County. He was born in Essex County, N. Y. December 3, 1820. He received a liberal education and fitted himself for the profession a surveyor and civil engineer. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1855 in company with J. M. Winchell, located at what is now Burlingame, where he surveyed and platted the village which was then called Council City. In the fall of the same year he came to Miami County, just then organized and located at Osawatomie, where he identified himself with the Free-state men and participated with John Brown in the struggle to keep Kansas a free Territory. He engaged in land surveying and for eight years was County Surveyor of Miami County. During the war he was Chief Clerk of the Quartermaster's Department at Fort Scott, with the rank of First Lieutenant. In 1876 he moved to Paola and accepted the position of Deputy County Treasurer, which position he has held continuously to this date.
ADOLPH ROTH, proprietor of Paola bakery and restaurant, dealer in confectionery, toys and notions. Mr. Roth established his business in July, 1873 and is the oldest establishment of the kind in the city. He is a practical baker and confectioner, having large tasty apartments. He can entertain fifty guests at a time. Mr. Roth was born in Germany, where he served a regular apprenticeship to the baker's and confectioner's trade. In 1870 he immigrated to America, and came direct to Kansas City and from there to Paola, Kan., in June, 1871. He worked as a journeyman until 1873, and then started in his present business.