|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - HILLSDALE. (PEERY - WILSON)
HENRY O. PEERY, farmer, Section 23, Township 16, Range 23, P. O. Hillsdale, was one of the pioneers of Miami County of 1857. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., March 17, 1814, and when fourteen years of age moved to Indiana, where he learned the carpenter and blacksmith trades. He came to Kansas in 1857 ad made a claim on Section 23, Marysville, where he now resides. He returned to Indiana and moved his family to Kansas in the spring of 1860. He was one of the few outspoken Union men who held their ground during the turbulent scenes of the late war. Mr. Peery though never backward to avow his sentiments was respected and left unmolested. During the Price raids he served in the Kansas Militia. He has continued to reside on the place of his first choice, now twenty-three years. He was married, December 12, 1844, to Miss Lavina E., daughter of John G. Kendall, of Decatur, Ind. They have seven children, five of whom are living. Mr. Peery has held various official positions having been County Commissioner of Miami County, Trustee of Marysville Township, and Treasurer of his school district fifteen years.
W. C. RICHARDSON, principal of the Hillsdale School, was born in Hendrick County, Ind., February 6, 1854. He received his primary education in the common schools and took a regular course which, however, he did not finish, in the Asbury University at Green Castle, Ind. He began teaching in his native State in 1872, and has made that his business ever since. He came to Kansas in 1879 and located at Marysville, Miami County, and taught the District School at that place two years. In 1881 he came to Hillsdale and accepted the position of principal of this school and is now engaged for the third year. He was married in June 15, 1882, to Miss Ida Beets, daughter of Joseph beets. Mrs. Richardson was born in Marysville Township, Kas; her people being among the very earliest pioneers of this region.
THOMAS B. ROBINSON, farmer, Section 36, Township 15, Range 23, P. O. Spring Hill, Johnson Co., Kas., was born in Greene County, Ill., November 15, 1840. He was brought up in that county. He enlisted in the spring of 1864 in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-third Illinois Infantry and served til the close of the war. During his term of service he held the position of First Duty Sergeant. Immediately after the close of the war, in 1865, he moved to Kansas and purchased 160 acres of land in Wea Township, Miami County. In 1866 he purchased and took possession of his present farm. He now has a well improved farm of 300 acres. He was married in Illinois, November, 1864, to Miss Mary Mason, daughter of Dr. Geo. B. Mason, of Illinois. Mrs. Robinson was born in Kentucky. They have had four sons and one daughter-Arthur died aged fourteen years, Ernest died aged one year; Edgar, died one year old, Minnie, the youngest and the son John being the only ones living. Mr. Robinson has served three years as Township Clerk and was elected County Commissioner in 1881 for three years.
DAVID T. ROWLAND, farmer, Section 11, Township 16, Range 23, P. O. Hillsdale, was born in Davis County, Mo., April 1, 1849, and is a son of F. E. Rowland. He came to Kansas with his parents in 1857. He lived in Miami County until the fall of 1876, when he went to Harper County, Kas., where he was engaged in farming until the fall of 1882, when he returned to Miami County. He was married in Kansas, May 22, 1872, to Miss Mattie, daughter of Joseph Stice. Mrs. Rowland was born in Illinois. They have three children- Annie B., David F. and Gracie.
F. E. ROWLAND, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Miami County of 1857. He was born in Boone County, Mo. in 1821, was brought up a farmer, and moved to Kansas in February, 1857. He located on the northwest quarter of Section 10, Township 16, Range 23, Marysville, Miami County. He subsequently moved to Section 11, of same township and was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred March 11, 1873. He was married in Missouri, in 1842, to Miss Z. A. Shock, daughter of David Shock. Mrs. Rowland was born in Boone County, Mo. There were eight children born to them, four sons and four daughters; Mary P. is the wife of T. W. Tuggle, of Hillsdale; Martha E. is the wife of James McDaniels of Marysville; David T. married and living in Marysville Township; Sarah, wife of Dr. Alexander, of Osage County, Kas., William S. of Hillsdale, James H, Annie, and John E. Mrs. Rowland and the younger children are living at the old homestead, having a farm of 160 acres.
CHARLES B. SPALDING, farmer, Section 8, Township 16, Range 23, P. O. Hillsdale. Mr. Spalding was born in Middlesex County, Mass., October 21, 1832. He immigrated to Ohio in 1854, thence to Missouri in 1857, and to Kansas in 1859. On coming to this State, he made his home at Spring Hill, Johnson County, until 1862, when he removed to his present farm of 106 acres, on Section 8, Marysville Township. He was married in the fall of 1855, in Ohio, to Miss Minerva Walker. Mrs. Spalding was born in Ohio. They have four children- Flora B., Ella J., Lydia A. and Etha A. Mr. Spalding was the first Trustee of Spring Hill, after the passage of the law creating the office. He has also served two terms in the office in Marysville Township-1863 and 1864.
HARMON C. STILES, farmer, Section 26, Township 15, Range 23, P. O., Spring Hill, was born in Rutland County, Vt., June 9, 1846; moved to Iowa with his parents, in childhood and from there to Marysville, Miami County., Kas, in the spring of 1857. He enlisted, September 27, 1863, in Company K, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry. He was wounded at the battle of "The Little Blue", Missouri and taken prisoner. Was held one day and paroled. He was exchanged and served til the close of the war. Mr. Stiles was married, January 14, 1866, to Lucinda Chilton, daughter of William Chilton. Mrs. Stiles was born in Cass County, Mo. They have seven children, five sons and two daughters; Edwin W., Charles A., Ella M. Bertha and Bertie, twins, Rossman and Osman, also twins. Mr. Stiles as the record shows was one of the early pioneers of this region of 1857, and has made this his home since. He has served two terms as Justice of the Peace, and has held other minor offices. He has an undivided third interest in 160 acres of land, comprising the old homestead.
THOMAS W. TUGGLE, blacksmith, of the firm of Wilson & Tuggle, blacksmiths, is one of the pioneers of Kansas, having been a school boy at the Shawnee Mission in 1843-44, while his father was stationed there as Government blacksmith. This was prior to the organization of the Territory of Kansas. Mr. Tuggle was born in Missouri, October 3, 1837. He accompanied his father to the Shawnee Mission in 1843. Returned to Missouri in 1845, and in 1858, came to Miami County, Kas. and settled in the Township of Marysville. He learned the blacksmith's trade at Pleasant Hill, Mo and opened the first shop at Marysville, Kan. He subsequently bought a farm in this township. During the war, he was foreman of the Government blacksmith shops at Paola a year and two months. He went to Colorado in the spring of 1882 and returned in the fall of that year. On his return, he formed a partnership with Mr. G. W. Wilson, at Hillsdale, together they carry on an extensive blacksmith and wagon shop. He was married in Kansas, July 4, 1860 to Miss Mary, daughter of F. E. Rowland. Mrs. Tuggle was born in Missouri. They have five children-James S., Mattie V., Fannie P., John A., and T. Ewing. Mr. Tuggle was the Township Clerk, of Marysville, in 1859, and has held other minor offices.
JOHN A., TUGGLE, father of Thomas Tuggle, farmer, Section 31, Township 15, Range 23, Marysville, was a pioneer of this county of 1858. He was born in Patrick County, Va. in 1814; moved to Missouri in 1833 and thence to Kansas in 1858. He made a claim on Section 31, Township 15, Range 23, where he still resides. He was the first Justice of the Peace, of Marysville Township. Was first appointed by the Territorial Governor and subsequently elected by the people. He was first in what is now Kansas, in 1843, while it was Indian Territory, and served two years as Government blacksmith at the Shawnee Mission.
CHARLES G. UPTON, farmer and teacher, residence and P. O. Hillsdale, was born in DeWitt County, Ill., February 29, 1852. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1868. He took five years course at the State University at Lawrence and graduated in 1881. He began teaching in 1873, and has made this his business since, except while attending the university. During the taking of the late census of 1880, he was Census Enumerator for the Township of Marysville. Mr. Upton has spent his time in Kansas since coming here, except for a few months spent in Texas and in traveling in the Atlantic states. He has a farm of eighty acres on Section 21, Township 16, Range 23.
JOHN UPTON, retired farmer, Hillsdale, was born in Mercer County, Ky., in 1819. Moved with his mother to Illinois in his youth. he lived in Morgan, Macoupin and DeWitt counties until 1853, when he moved to Clark County, Mo., thence to St. Clair County in 1855 and from there to Kansas in 1868. He settled on Section 21, Township 16, Range 23, where he had a farm of 120 acres. He sold out in the fall of 1882 and took up his residence in Hillsdale. Mr. Upton was married in Macoupin County, Ill, in 1839 to Miss Louisa, daughter of Nicholas Howser. They have five children, four sons and one daughter- Thomas J (married and living in Texas), Charles G. (teacher) John N. (married), Josiah T. (married) and Louisa J. (wife of John Ward) The three latter are all of Marysville Township.
MARTIN S. WEAVER, farmer, Section 13, Township 16, Range 23, P. O. Hillsdale, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, April 13, 1841. Was brought up a farmer, and moved to Kansas in 1871, and located on his present farm of 160 acres, in Marysville. He was married, in Ohio, March 12, 1874, to Miss Isabel, daughter of Abner Maxwell. Mrs. Weaver was born in Ohio. They have four children- Atla W., Abner M, Clavin D., and Ora F.
JAMES H. WILLIAMS, farmer, Section 5, Township 16, Range 23, P. O. Hillsdale. Mr. Williams was born in Nashville, Tenn, in 1828. Removed to St. Clair County with his parents in childhood, where he was brought up on a farm. He enlisted in the late war as a private of Company D, Fifty-ninth Illinois Infantry. Was promoted to Orderly Sergeant, and served three years. He moved to Kansas in 1865, and engaged in mercantile business with Mr. Tontz, at Tontzville, Miami County. In 1867 he bought out Mr. Tontz and continued the business alone til the spring of 1873, since which time he has devoted his attention to his farm of 124 acres. Mr. Williams has served six years as Justice of the Peace, and one term as a member of the County Board, of Miami County. He was married, in Illinois, August 14, 1849, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Tyre Shelton. Mrs. Williams was born in Illinois. They have six children- Annie (wife of Jasper Morris, of Marysville), Julia (wife of John Pedley, of Greenwood County, Kan.) John F. (of Illinois), Nannie, Arthur T. and Minnie.
GEORGE W. WILSON, senior partner of the firm of Wilson & Tuggle, blacksmiths. This firm does general blacksmithing, horse-shoeing, and repairing of all kinds of farm machinery. Mr. Wilson was born in Ross County, Ohio, August 19, 1830. He was brought up in that State, and served a regular apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade. He moved to Illinois in 1852, and worked at his trade. He enlisted in August, 1861, as a private of Company C, Thirty-eighth Illinois Infantry, and served a little more than three years. He was twice wounded; once at Buzzard's roost, and again at Resaca. In 1866 he emigrated to Kansas, and established a blacksmith shop at Humbolt, Allen County. He subsequently operated in various towns in Kansas and in February, 1875, came to Hillsdale and opened a blacksmith shop, which he has carried on to this date. Since the fall of 1882, he has had Mr. F. W. Tuggle for a partner. He was twice married, in Illinois. Lost his wives and was married again in Kansas, to Miss Dora A. Shultz. He had four children by his second marriage and four by the present marriage.
Tontzville, Richland, Miami, Indianapolis are extinct as villages. The latter town was situated two and one-half miles west of OSAWATOMIE, and in 1858, contained a store, post office, about twelve residences, and from fifty to sixty inhabitants.
RICHLAND TOWNSHIP. (ANDERSON - LATHAM)
DAVID ANDERSON, farmer, Section 16, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Wade, was born in Dubois county, Ind., June 24, 1824. Was brought up on a farm. In May, 1857, he emigrated to Kansas, and made a claim on the Indian Reservation, known as the lands of the Peorias, Wea and Plankeshaws, which came into market in the spring of that year. He purchased at a Government sale the northwest quarter of Section 16, Township 16, Range 22, Miami County, being 160 acres. He has continued to reside on the land from that time of making his claim until the present time, 1883, except a temporary residence in Paola, while serving a Sheriff. He enlisted August, 1862, as a private of Company C, Twelfth Kansas Infantry. In 1863 he was promoted to Captain and assigned to Company G, Fifth Indiana, stationed at Fort Gibson, and served til April, 1864. Mr. Anderson was elected to the State Senate in 1867, to fill a vacancy. In 1869 he was elected Sheriff of Miami County. Was re-elected in 1871, serving four years in all. He was married in Dubois County, Ind., in 1846, to Miss Elizabeth McCausland. They had four children, of whom two are living, a son and a daughter-Cyrus and Mary. The son is a resident of Rawlins County, Kan. The daughter is the wife of A. M. Ganthrop, of Coffey County. Mrs. Anderson died in January, 1877. Mr. Anderson was married again in December, 1877, to Mary A., daughter of William H. Dorsett. Mrs. Anderson was born in Missouri. Her people were residents of Texas, during the war and in attempting to reach the North lost all they had and narrowly escaped with their lives. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have one child, a son- David Woodson. Mr. Anderson was the pioneer Republican of Richland. For some years he only had one companion in politics in the township. After the close of the war Richland settled up rapidly and the position of the political parties became reversed. Mr. Anderson has long been reckoned one of the most respected and influential citizens of Miami County. He is one whose friendship once secured, may always be relied upon as a true, warm, and generous friend.
JOHN H. AYRES, farmer, Section 9, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Wade, is one of the pioneers of Richland, of 1858. He started here poor in purse but rich in hope and energy. By hard work and prudent management, and in spite of early disasters, of drouths and grasshoppers, he has secured a valuable well stocked farm of 200 acres and a tract of ten acres of timber in an adjacent township. Mr. Ayres was born in Cumberland County, N. J. June 21, 1828. he moved with his parents to Indiana in childhood and to Iowa in 1856. Two years later taking his family by teams, he emigrated to Kansas, arriving in Richland in December, 1858. During the late war he did duty in the State Militia. he was married in Indiana, January 16, 1851, to Miss Hannah E., daughter of William Smalley. Mrs. Ayres was born in Indiana. They have eleven children, of whom eight are living. Mary, wife of Lee Bucklew, of St. Louis; William H., married and living in Richland; Harriet, wife of R. C. Totten, of Coffey County; Jennie, was the wife of Thos. Elrod, died January 6, 1882; Eliza J., wife of Adam Clark, of Osage County; George W., John, Emiline and Minnie E.
ISRAEL D. BROCKWAY, farmer, grower and dealer in livestock, Section 1, Township 16, Range 21, P. O. Wellsville, Franklin County, was born in New London County, Conn., June 30, 1839, was brought up in that county. In 1865 he immigrated to Kansas and located in Douglas County at Black Jack,. He was married in Iowa, July 26, 1877, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Francis Griffin. Mrs. Brockway was born at East Haddam, Conn. They have two children, a girl and a boy-Fannie G. and Ebenezer D. Mr. Brockway has a fine farm of 320 acres, well stocked and furnished with superior buildings.
J. W. BRYAN, farmer, Section 10, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Wade, was born in Adams County, Ohio, March 10, 1843. Was brought up on a farm and enlisted in the late war as a private of Company D, Twenty-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteers. Was a non-commissioned officer. He was in active service continuously for three years with the Twenty-fourth and at the expiration of his term of enlistment, re-enlisted in Company D, Eighteenth Ohio Volunteers, and served til the close of the war. He was Quarter-master Sergeant in the Eighteenth and except, while on detached service at the time of the battle of Nashville, was with his command in all engagements participated by them. He returned to Ohio and in 1869 came to Kansas and settled on Section 4, Richland, where he resided until March, 1883, when having sold out his old place and purchased his present farm on Section 10, moved to this place, He was married in Ohio, March 8, 1866 to Miss Julia A., daughter of Matthew McColm. Mrs. Bryan was born in Adams County, Ohio. They have three children two girls and a boy-Ira N., Mary E. and Essie V.
JOHN C. COLLINS, farmer, Section 13, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Paola, was born in Lewis County, Ky., December 15, 1837, moved to Ohio with his people in youth and was brought up in that State. He enlisted April 14, 1861, and on the 19th of that month was mustered into Company D, Twenty-second Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under first call for troops in the late war. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant, September 8, 1861, re-enlisted for three years in Company B, Twenty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteers. A short time after he received a recruiting commission and returned to his old home in Kentucky and recruited Company G, Fourteenth Kentucky Volunteers and was commissioned Captain, commanding that company and served til January 31, 1865. He was married March 26, 1863, in Ironton, Ohio, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Peter Simonon. Mrs. Collins was born at Dover, Ky. and brought up in Ohio. They have nine children, five sons and four daughters-William E., Jessie B., Charles W., Frank H., Nellie G., Sherman W., John M., Ida G. and Mary E. Mr. Collins moved to Kansas in March, 1865 and settled in the township of Richland, where he has a well improved farm of 220 acres. He has served four years as Trustee of Richland, 1873, '74, '75 and '76. In 1880 was census enumerator of this township.
THOMAS B. CONE, farmer, Section 14, Township 16, Range 21, P. O. Wellsville, was born in Delaware county, Ohio, April 27, 1839; was brought up on a farm, and immigrated to Kansas in 1872. Mr. Cone was married in December, 1864, to Miss Mary, daughter of John Detwiller. Mrs. Cone was born in Ohio. They have one child, a daughter, named Lizzie B. Mr. Cone, although not an old settler, has one of the best improved farms in the county. The farm contains 480 acres. His residence is large, new, tasty while his barns and other buildings are much superior to the average Kansas "outfit". Mr. Cone is interested quite largely in stock, both as a dealer, feeder and grower.
THOMAS COUGHLIN, farmer, Section 30, Township 15, Range 22, P. O. Edgerton, Johnson County, was born in County West Meath, Ireland, July 26, 1828. Immigrated to America in 1849; made his home for awhile in New Jersey, and then removed to Indiana, and from there to Kansas in March 1857 and settled in Richland Township, Miami County, where he has continued to reside until this date. He was married in Indiana, in 1862, to Miss Elizabeth C. McLaughlin. One child was born to them-Edward H., who died at the age of fifteen years. Mrs. Coughlin died September 2, 1868. Mr. Coughlin married Miss Bridget McLaughlin, daughter of Thomas McLaughlin, April 22, 1869. Mrs. Coughlin was born in County Meath, Ireland. They have six children, five boys and one girls-Elizabeth, Thomas J., Martin J., Charles f., Edward H and Roiber E. Mr. Coughlin has a well improved farm of 320 acres.
JOHN EVERETT, farmer, Section 27, Township 15, Range 22, P. O. Gardner, Johnson County, was born in Wayne County, Mich., in February 1832, was brought up in that locality. In 1855 he moved to Mchenry County, Ill and from there to Kansas, in 1857, arriving in the Township of Richland, in May, of that year. He purchased the farm he now occupies and has since added to his possessions til now he owns 545 acres, the most of which is under a good state of cultivation, He enlisted in September, 1863, in the late war in Company A, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry. Was commissioned Second Lieutenant and served til November 1865. He was married in Washtenaw County, Mich., March 7, 1847, to Miss Sarah A., daughter of Eldad Spencer. Mrs. Everett was born in Michigan, her parents being pioneers of that State. Mr. and Mrs. Everett have six children, one son and five daughters-Addie, wife of Henry Fruit, of Johnson County, John P., married and living in Richland, Lillie W., Julia H., Annie L. and Maud G.
JOHN FORGEY, farmer, Section 11, Township 16, Range 21, P. O. Wellsville, was born in Montgomery County, Ind., February 8, 1849; was brought up in his native county, Immigrated to Kansas in 1870 and settled on his present farm. He was married in Franklin County, Kan., November 20, 1874, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Akers. Mrs. Forgey was born in Franklin County, Va. They have two children-Freddie E. and Earl R. Mr, Forgey has seventy acres of improved land.
J. W. GAMES, farmer, Section 24, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Paola was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1843. When nineteen years of age he enlisted (September 2, 1862) in Company E., Seventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. Was promoted to First Sergeant and served til July 4, 1865. He was married in La Fayette, Ind., February 26, 1866, to Miss Cerelda, daughter of Moses Porter. Mrs. Games was born in Ohio. Mr. Games moved to Jackson County, Mo and from there to Richland, Miami Co., Kan., in January, 1869, where he has a fine farm of 160 acres. In 1879 he was elected a member of the Kansas Legislature and re-elected in 1880; politics, Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Games have five children, three sons and two daughters-Minniew J., John J., William, Venie and Frankie.
JOSEPH HEISSER, farmer, Section 10, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Wade, was born at Pittsburgh, Pa., March 15, 1835. When ten years of age he went with his parents to Ohio; from there to Illinois, Iowa and Missouri and from the latter State to Kansas, in 1871. At the opening of the late war, he enlisted in April, 1861 as a private of Company B, Seventeenth Iowa Infantry served three years, re-enlisted at Tilton, Ga., in 1864, and was held a prisoner six months. During this time he was an inmate of Caghowke, Andersonville, Lawton and Salisbury prisons. He was married at Paola, Kas., May 22, 1873, to Miss Kate E. Powelson, daughter of Robert A. Powelson. Mrs. Heisser was born in Washington Co, Pa. They have three children-Monseir E., Charles W. and Birdie D. Mr. Heisser has a well improved farm of 200 acres, his residence being one of the best farm buildings in the county.
SAMUEL HENNINGER, farmer, Section 13, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Paola. Mr. Henninger was born in Pennsylvania, December 19, 1826. He learned the gunsmith's trade and followed that business six years. In 1867 he moved to Illinois and in 1870 to Kansas. He located in Wea Township, Miami County, where he was engaged in farming until 1876, when he removed to his present farm in Richland. Mr. Henninger has 200 acres of his own and 240 that he is working under lease. During the late war he enlisted in February, 1865, in Company G, One Hundred and Ninety-second Pennsylvania, and served til the close of the war. He was married in Clinton County, Pa in 1852, to Miss Elmira, daughter of George Quiggie. Mrs. Henninger was born in Pennsylvania. They have nine children living- Ada, is the wife of N. H. Howard, of Anderson County, Kas.; Joseph B., Albertes J., Robert C., James W., Mabel. Clarence E., Ethelda J. and Charles T.
JAMES HOLMAN, farmer, Section 25, Township 15, Range 22, P. O. Edgerton, Johnson County, one of the Kansas pioneers of 1855, was born in Laurel County, Ky., June 1, 1821. He was brought up in Kentucky and in early manhood removed to Indiana and from there to Illinois; from there to Missouri where he resided until 1855, when he came to Kansas, arriving in Leavenworth County. He made a claim and made his home here until 1857. In May of that year he moved to Section 31, Township 15, Range 22, Richland. He subsequently took up the northeast quarter of Section 25, in the same township, under the Homestead Law, where he now resides and also purchased ten acres of timber. He now has an improved farm of 170 acres. He participated in the troubles of 1855 and 1856, being a partisan of the Free-state party and during the late war he served in the Kansas State Militia in defense of the State. He was married December 27, 1842, in Kentucky, to Miss Martha A., daughter of John Owen. Mrs. Holman was born in Knox County, Ky. They had fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters-Lenena J., is the wife of H. R. Wooley; Mary E., wife of Samuel Boise; John M, died when sixteen years old; John M was a Union soldier of the late war; and Joseph G., died, aged twenty-six years; Risden O., William R., James H. D, Hulda, is the wife of C. B. Scott; Samuel K., Sarah M. is the wife of C. L. Shuman; Martha A., wife of E. D. Land; Susie A., Buena Vista and Wayland H. who died in childhood.
CICERO C. JORDAN, M. D., physician and surgeon, drug store and office situated at the northwest corner of Section 10, Township 16, Range 22, near Wade postoffice. Dr. Jordan was born in Pulaski, Tenn., May 5, 1848. He received an academic education, and entered the Union Army as a member of the Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry, under Gen. Rousseau. Had an arm broken in action and served three months. Early in 1864 he enlisted as a private of Company I, Fourth Tennessee Mounted Infantry, Was with his command in all engagements participated in by them and served til the close of the war. In 1877 Mr. Jordan entered the University of Tennessee and Nashville Medical College; took a regular course of two terms and graduated with the degree of M. D. February 22, 1881. he began the practice of medicine at Lelliard's Mills, Marshall Co, Tenn and extended his practice into Murray County. In the fall of 1882 he came to Miami County, Kas., and established himself in his present practice. Dr. Jordan erected a building near Wade postoffice, in which he carries on a general drug business.
BELA LATHAM, farmer, Section 23, Township 16, Range 22, P. O. Paola. Mr. Latham was born in Lafayette County, Ohio, April 1, 1837, where he was brought up on a farm. He enlisted in 1864, in the one Hundred and Sixty-eighth Ohio, One Hundred day service and served the term of his enlistment. He emigrated to Kansas in 1868 and purchased his present well improved farm of 320 acres in the Township of Richland. He also has thirteen and one-third acres of timber land in Marysville Township. He was married in Ohio, February 28, 1867, to Miss Eliza E., daughter of William Merchant. Mrs. Latham was born in Ohio. They have six children-Charles, Clara, who died in childhood, Ettie, Edward, Fred and Ella.