|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - LOUISBURG (SANDERS - WRIGHT & SON).
ROBERT W. SANDERS, blacksmith, is one of the pioneers of Louisburg. He erected the first building on the main business street in the spring of 1871, which he used for a blacksmith shop, and has been in business here continuously since. He was born in North Easter, Ky., December 21, 1843. received a common school education, and served a regular apprenticeship to the blacksmith's trade. Having completed his time at this trade, he enlisted on the first call for troops in the late war in the spring of 1861; was one of the 75,000 accepted on the three months' call, being a member of the Tenth Kentucky Cavalry. At the expiration of the three months' term, he returned home and helped to raise Company C of the Tenth Calvary, and was commissioned Second Lieutenant. He was subsequently promoted to First Lieutenant and served with his company and regiment till September, 1865. On his return from the war, he resumed work at his trade, which he followed in Missouri, Texas and Kentucky. In 1870, he came to Little St. Louis, Miami Co., Kan., where he worked till the spring of 1871, when he built his shop in Louisburg. Mr. Sanders is served two years as Clerk of Wea Township, also as Clerk of the School District and at the first city election (Louisburg) was elected Marshall.
JACOB SCHWARTZ, farmer, Section 19, Township 15, Range 25, P. O. Wea, was born in Oberselters, Nassau, in 1832, October 21. He immigrated to America in 1860 and came direct to Kansas and purchased his present farm. He now has a tract of 480 acres, which is divided into three farms, each of them well improved. On the farm he lives on, he has a large and tasty farmhouse and good farm buildings. Mr. Schwartz was married in the fall of 1862, at Kansas City, Mo., to Miss Annie, daughter of Peter Shilo. Mrs. S. was born in Germany. She died in October, 1870, and left two children-Elizabeth and Dora. Elizabeth died in November, 1873. Mr. Schwartz was married again, in 1872, to Miss Frances, daughter of Anthony Bauer. She was born in the same town in Germany. They have three children-Jacob, Frances and William. Mr. S. has served four years as Treasurer of the School District. During the late war he did duty as a member of the Kansas State Militia.
WILLIAM SCHWARTZ, farmer and stock grower, Section 30, Township 15, Range 25, P. O. Wea, was born in Prussia, May 4, 1837. He learned the millwright's trade and immigrated to America in 1856; spent one year in Pennsylvania, and then worked out in Missouri until 1859, when he came to Kansas and purchased 40 acres of land in the town of Wea, on Section 30, Township 15, Range 25, on which he paid $15, all his available capital. The following year, 1860, he built a small house and began to improve his land. He also erected a small saw and wind mill on his land where he cut lumber for the settlers for many miles about. He also worked at his trade as opportunity offered and soon acquired means to purchase more land until at this date, 1883, he has several fine farms aggregating 1,500 acres. He began stock growing at an early day and by judicious management has been very successful in that branch of the business. He also buys and feeds stock for market, having an average of herd of eighty head of cattle, 200 hogs and a large number of horses and mules. He feeds an average 12,000 bushels of corn annually, the most of which is grown upon his own lands. Mr. Schwartz was among the first settlers of Township 15, Range 25, and although commencing with very little he has acquired a large and very valuable property, and justly ranks among the leading and influential citizens of Miami County. In fact, there is probably no man in the county whose judgment in his line of business more respected or one who has made so thoroughly a study of farming and stock growing in this section, and demonstrates the correctness of his judgment by his success. Mr. S was married in Kansas City, Mo, in 1864, to Miss Anna Dougherty, daughter of Thomas Dougherty. They have four children-Jacob A., Dora A., William A., and Thomas E. S. Mr. S has never been an office seeker, but has accepted the office of Justice of the Peace, and also Township Treasurer, each of which he held two terms. During the late war he served three seasons as a member of the Kansas Militia.
ADAM SECK, farmer, Section 29, Township 15, Range 25, P. O. Wea, was born in Nassau, Prussia, June 7, 1837. Served three years in the Prussian Army. He was married in 1861, to Miss Helen, daughter of Jacob Schwartz. They have five children-the eldest Mary, is the wife of John Stahl, of Wea; Jacob, Lizzie, Lena and Katie. They have lost two sons-Adam, aged thirteen years, and Peter, aged three years., In the spring of 1866 Mr. Seck and family immigrated to America. He came directly to Kansas and purchased his present farm on Section 29, Wea. Mr. Seck has a well improved farm of 400 acres, with good buildings, etc. and is one of the prosperous farmers of Wea.
JACOB SECK, farmer, Section 20, Township 15, Range 25, P. O. Wea, was born in Nassau, now Prussia, in 1841. He was married in 1865, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Schwartz. They have a family of six children-Jacob, Elizabeth, William, Bernhard W., Anthony J., and Albert. All but the eldest were born in America. Mr. Seck emigrated to this country in 1866; came direct to Kansas and located on his present farm. He now has 580 acres of land, a large portion of which is under a fine state of cultivation. His buildings are large and convenient and in fact, in the language of the West, he is well fixed.
J. A. SHELHAMMER, manufacturer of wagons and carriages, was born in Marion County, Ind., in 1845. He learned the wagon and carriage making trade in that State, and moved to Kansas in 1868, locating at Olathe, where he started a small wagon shop. His building was about 10 x 12 feet in size and was without a floor, while his working capital was forty cents. In 1871 he moved to Louisburg and opened business in his line in a very modest way and with limited means; by energy and industry he has built up a fine business. He now has large and commodious buildings appropriately fitted up for the manufacture of wagons and carriages. He does a large amount of job work and repairing of which he makes a specialty. He employs ten men and turns out about eighty lumber wagons and from thirty to forty buggies annually. Mr. Shelhammer's work gives the best satisfaction and his orders are always equal to the capacity of his work.
SPAWR & HEDRICK, proprietors of livery, sale and boarding stable; business established in 1880 (April). This firm keep a fine lot of horses and carriages, and are attentive to the wants of their patrons. The senior partner, Mr. V. M. Spawr, was born in McLean County, Ill in 1845; was brought up a farmer, and came to Kansas in 1870. He located near Louisburg, Miami County where he was engaged in farming two years. He then moved to Allen County and farmed there until 1880, when he sold out and went into his present business. The junior partner, Elijah Hedrick, was born in McLean County, Ill, in 1857; came to Kansas in 1870 and was engaged in farming in Miami County till 1880; when he engaged in his present business.
N. H. STARRY, farmer, Section 26, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg was born in Warren County, Ind., November 6, 1842. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company E, Eighty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After eight months service he was transferred to the signal corps and served in that department until the close of the war. On returning from the war he engaged in farming in Indiana and continued to reside in that State until 1871, when he came to Kansas and purchased his present farm in Wea Township. Mr. Starry has a well improved farm of 400 acres, situated near the city of Louisburg. His tasty residence is one of the largest and finest dwellings in the county. He was married in Iroquois County, Ill, in September, 1866, to Sarah J., daughter of Levi Bonebrake. Mrs. Starry was born in Preble County, Ohio. They have six children-Maud, Leona, Clark, Beverly, Alta and Effie. The three younger were born in Kansas.
GEORGE STARRY, farmer, Section 34, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, has a finely improved farm of 440 acres. Mr. Starry was born in Berkley County, Va., September, 1823. In 1829 he moved with his parents to Indiana where he was brought up a farmer. In 1863 he removed to Iroquois County, Ill and was engaged in farming there til 1868, when he came to Miami County, Kansas and purchased his present farm. He was married in Indiana in 1846, to Miss Hannah Kaiser. They have six children-Nicholas C., Elizabeth, Daniel, George, Mary J., and Margaret. All of the children are married but the youngest and all residents of Kansas but one.
JACOB STEM, farmer, Section 3, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill. Mr. Stem is a native of Mercer County, Pa., and was born March 25, 1827. He was brought up farmer. In 1850, he removed to Warren County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until 1869. In the fall of that year, he removed to Kansas and settled on his present farm in the township of Wea. He was married in Pennsylvania, January 15, 1851, to Miss Phebe Sutton., Mrs. Stem was born in Crawford County, Pa. They have two children _ Alice L., now Mrs. Reuben Z. Ferguson, of Wea and Frederick B. The son is a graduate of Oberlin College, Writing Department, Ohio. He is married to Miss Ada Kevan, a lady of English birth and is now a farmer of Wea.
MYRON TINKHAM, farmer, Section 29, Township 16, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg. He was born in Bennington County, Vt., in 1840. he was bought up a farmer and received a liberal education and engaged in bookkeeping. He followed that occupation five or six years and in the spring of 1868 moved to Miami County, Kan. He purchased the northeast quarter of Section 29, which was in a wild or unimproved state. He has resided on his land since coming here and now has one of the best improved and most valuable farms of its size in the county. Mr. Tinkham, although not an active politician, was chosen a member of the House of Kansas Legislature for the term of 1873-74, to represent District No. 32, comprised of Northern Miami County.
HON E. H. TOPPING, farmer, Section 28, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Somerset, was born in Athens County, Ohio in 1830. When ten years of age he removed with his parents to Perry County, Ill.; was brought up on a farm and in September, 1862, enlisted in the Volunteer service in the late war, and was commissioned Captain of Company D, One Hundred and Tenth Illinois Infantry; was promoted in November of the same year, to Lieutenant Colonel, commanding the regiment. During the latter part of the war his regiment was in Sherman's command. He was wounded by the falling of his horse while on duty causing a fracture of the left arm. He served with the regiment in all engagements and battles in which it participated till June, 1865, at the close of the war. He returned to his home in Springfield, Ill, and in November of that year ( 1865) he came to Kansas and located at Paola, Miami County and engaged in the live stock business, He was elected to the Lower House of the Kansas Legislature for 1870-71. He was then elected to the Senate, served two years; was reelected and served til 1875. He was married November 29, 1863 to Miss Elizza A., daughter of Jacob Watkins. Mrs. Topping was born in Antrim, Guernsey Co., Ohio. They had one child-Charles J., who died in childhood aged four years. Mr. Topping moved to his present farm in 1868, and has continued to make this his place of residence to this date (1883).
F. M. TUMBLESON, merchant, dealer in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes. Having the only straight dry goods store in the city. Mr. Tumbleson was born in Preble County, Ohio in 1831. went to Indiana in 1849; located in Huntington County, and began business in 1853, as a dealer in and manufacturer of boots and shoes. He subsequently studied medicine and became a practicing physician. In June, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Indiana Volunteers. He was made Hospital Steward and Assistant Surgeon of the regiment and served till the close of the war. He then went to La Salle County, Ill, where he practiced medicine and did a merchandising business til 1869. He then moved to Bates County, Mo, where he started the town of Rundett and opened the first store. He also dealt in livestock. he next spent four years on his farm in Cass County; was in mercantile business from the fall of 1878 till the summer of 1879, when he came to Louisburg and engaged in his present business., Mr, Tumbleson occupies the corner store of Cadwallader's Block and carries an average stock of $15,000.
ANTHONY VOHS, P. O. Wea, one of the earliest pioneers of Township 15, Range 25. In fact, the second settler in this township, settled on Section 30 in the spring of 1859. Was born in Nassau, Germany (now Prussia) August 8, 1829. He emigrated to America in 1856, landed at Waterloo, N. Y. The following April, 1857, he moved to Illinois, located about sixty miles south of Chicago, where he spent two years. In 1858, he came to Kansas, and in the spring of 1859, bought his land in Wea; has now 215 acres. The following spring he moved his family to their new home. He was married in Illinois, in 1858, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Becker. Mrs. Vohs was born in Nassau Germany. they have six children-Helena, wife of Anthony Bauer, of Wea; George, Anthony, Jasper, Joseph and Frank. Mr. Vohs was a member of Kansas One Hundred Day Men during the late war, and also did militia duty. The week before the burning of Lawrence, he was robbed of all his personal property by a detachment of Quantrill's men.
EUGENE VOHS, farmer, Section 30, Township 15, range 25, P. O. Wea, was born in Prussia in 1836, immigrated to America in 1854, spent two years in Monroe County, Pa. Then removed to Illinois, where he was engaged in farming two years, moving still westward he located in Kansas City, Mo. In April, 1863, he moved to Wea township, Miami Co. Kan., and purchased a farm on Section 30. He has since added to his acreage till he now has 680 acres of as fine land as there is in Eastern Kansas. Mr. Vohs has his farm under a good state of cultivation. His residence and farm buildings are of the best. While the large herds of fine cattle, and droves of fat swine and other stock, all speak of the successful farmer. Mr. Vohs was married in Kendall County, Ill, to Rosa Hirt, daughter of John Hirt. Mrs. Vohs was born in Germany. They have nine children living.
CAPT. WILLIAM WATERHOUSE, farmer, section 26, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, is a native of England, and was born May 30, 1828. He immigrated to America in 1848 and made his home in Rhode Island, until 1851. He then went to California and spent five years in the gold diggings. In 1857, he returned to the States and located in Illinois, where he resided until 1858, when he came to Kansas. He spent some months in Johnson County and in the fall of that year located on his present farm. Soon after the breaking out of the late war he entered the Secret Service of the United States, and served four years and eight months, principally west of the Mississippi river. During the service he passed through many trying scenes; he was wounded several times and is reported to have done efficient work in that hazardous branch of the service. He was married in Rhode Island, November 2, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Eli, daughter of Thomas Eli, They have seven children living-Anna Mary, Frances E., William, John J., Amanda E., Elizabeth A., died aged eight years and a half, Lucy, Susan and Robert. The latter died aged four and a half years. Capt Waterhouse has a well improved farm of 400 acres, one quarter section of which he is about conveying to one of his sons.
PHIL J. WEAVER, manager of the lumber yard of S. A. Brown & Co. This company established their yards at Louisburg in June, 1881, being successors to H. L. Phillips. They handle about $20,000 worth of lumber annually. Mr., Weaver was born in Cumberland County, Pa. in 1843. he was brought up a farmer. He enlisted in June, 1863, in the First Pennsylvania Infantry and was assigned to the Signal Corps and served until August, 1865. In March, 1868, he came to Kansas.
LESLIE C. WEST, farmer, Section 29, Township 15, range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, was born in Washington County, Ohio, August 26, 1847. He was bought up a farmer. He enlisted May 2, 1864, in Company b, One Hundred and Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteers, and served until September 5, the same year. He was married in Meigs County, Ohio, February 27, 1873, to Miss Arvilla Middleswart, daughter of Franklin Middleswart. They have three children-Edgar L., Carl M., and Mary C. Mr. West moved to Wea Township in March 5, 1878, and settled on his present fine farm of 160 acres, which Mrs., West inherited from her father's estate.
GEORGE A. WHITAKER, farmer, Section 27, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg. Has 1,900 acres of land, 840 of which is in a body, where he resides. He was born in Bradford County, Pa., October 16, 1836, moved to Illinois in 1853. Was employed as a traveling salesman, making his headquarters in Kane County. He enlisted in August, 1862, in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, Company E., in which he was a non-commissioned officer. He was wounded October 8, 1863 on the Rapidan, receiving three gun-shot wounds in the right leg. He continued in the service to the end of his term of enlistment, serving three years. In the summer of 1866, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. He was married in Rensselaer County, NY in August, 1865, to Miss Frances D., daughter of Iram Manchester. Mrs. Whitaker was born in Pittstown, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. They have two children (sons)-Maurince I., and Albert E. Mr. Whitaker is largely interested in the growing of short-horn cattle of which he has a herd of seventy cows and heifers. His entire stock of cattle numbers about 200 while his stock of swine reaches 300.
GEORGE WICKLINS, deceased, was one of the earliest pioneers of Wea Township, he having settled here in July, 1858. He made his claim on the north west quarter of Section 30, Township 15, Range 25, and subsequently purchased the southwest quarter of the same Section, having in all 320 acres. Mr. Wicklins was born in Monroe County, Va., October 1, 1819. he was brought up a farmer and removed to Missouri in 1844; made his home in Holt and Atchison counties a couple of years when on account of continued poor health of himself and his family he returned to Virginia. In 1857, he emigrated, intending to settle in Kansas. he stopped one year in Missouri on the way, and arrived in Miami County, In July 1858. He was one of the first to make improvements in the northeastern section of the county, where by persevering industry he developed a well improved farm. During the war he was in the track of the raiders from both sides and served as a member in the Kansas Militia during those turbulent times. Mr. Wicklins continued to reside at the home of his selection until his death, which occurred August 11, 1872.He was married in Virginia, January 20, 1842, to Miss Julia Summer, daughter of Andrew Summer. Mrs. Wicklins was born in Monroe County, Va. There were eight children born to them, of whom five are living a of this date-Andrew M., is living in Missouri; Laginue, is the wife of P. F. Latimer, of Wea; Giles A. is a resident of Texas; Lloyd, also of Texas; Austin G., died, aged twenty years; Margaretta, resides with her mother at the old homestead; two children were lost in childhood. Mr. Wicklins was a Democrat in politics, served one term as Justice of the Peace. He became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1848 and continued a zealous member of that Society until his death.
C. F. WILLIAR, farmer, Section 3, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, Johnson County, was born in Frederick County, MD, in 1830; was brought up a farmer; moved to Ohio, where he resided about eighteen months; He then removed to Indiana, where he was engaged in farming about two and a half years. In July, 1868, he immigrated to Kansas, and settled on his present farm of 160 acres, on which he is now building a fine new residence. He has been called on to fill several local offices and during the year 1881, served as Township Trustee. He was married in Maryland, November 87, 1959, to Miss Theodosia Shultz, daughter of Joseph C. Shultz. Mrs. Williar was born in Maryland. They have four sons and one daughter-Charles R., Joseph E., Minnie A., R. S. and Freddie.
HENRY A. WILLIAMS, dealer in hardware, stove and tinware, established his business in Louisburg in 1873, carries an average stock of about $4,000. He was born in St. Joseph County, Ind., in 1846. He received a common school education and began learning the tinner's trade at La Porte, Ind., went to Chicago, Ill in 1869 and perfected himself at his trade. In August, 1871, he joined another young man in jobbing business in his line with shop on East Madison Street. The great fire of October of that year closed out their business effectually. The following March, 1872, he came to Kansas and located at Paola. In March, 1872, he came to Louisburg and opened his present business.
WRIGHT & SON (William M. and Robert A.) dealers in groceries, provisions and queensware. This firm was established in the fall of 1882, being successors to Goebel & Wright, which firm was comprised of Peter Goebel and Robert A. Wright, and carried on business in the same stand from October 1, 1881, till the fall of 1882. The present firm have a well-stocked store, situated in the Cadwallader brick block and carry an average stock of $3,500. The senior partner, Mr. William M. Wright, was born in Kentucky, December 27, 1829, was brought up in that State and was engaged in mercantile business and in farming. In the fall of 1868 he removed to Kansas and located in Aubrey, Johnson County, where he was engaged in farming til 1875, when he moved to Louisburg and engaged in the hardware trade with Mr. E. P. Short. He sold out of that business, and in the fall of 1882 formed the present connection with his son Robert A.
This town, one of the oldest in the county, is located in the western part of the county, on rolling prairie, close to timber. It was located by H. B. Standiford, in the summer of 1855, and named Stanton, in honor of Capt. Standiford and Hon. Thomas H. Benton. Among the earliest settlers in the vicinity of Stanton were S. H. Houser, Dr. Winans, B. E. Briant, C. B. Tipton, Charles Rice, and others whose names may be found under the heading, "Early Settlements." The postoffice was established in 1856, Mr. Ward being appointed first Postmaster. Mr. Ward also opened a store in the town the same year. In 1857 a steam saw-mill was erected by A., Housemen. During the year Capt. Standiford sold the land on which the town was located to an Indiana company, of which E. P. Hicks was president and J. B. Hobson secretary. I. V. Beeson resurveyed and platted the town site for them.
The year 1860 was the year of the drought. During the previous winter but very little rain or snow fell. A light snow fell in February, after which there was neither snow or rain until June 6, when a light rain fell, preceded by a heavy wind. No rain fell during the succeeding months and the heat became almost intolerable,. The crops on the uplands were an absolute failure; few farmers had supplies to meet their necessities, but faithful friends in the East furnished assistance and the county has since been free from serious drought.
The high wind mentioned as preceding the rain of June 6 became a cyclone as it passed over Stanton, Indianapolis and Osawatomie. The residence of D. C. Baker was blown down and himself, Newell Kinkaid and another person killed. The Masonic Lodge was also carried away and the records, regalia and fixtures utterly destroyed. At Indianapolis Mr. Holladay's house was blown away and Mrs. Holladay killed. At Osawatomie the brick residence of Mrs. Coleman was blown down but no one injured. Stanton at the height of its prosperity, had a saw mill, several stores, blacksmith shop, etc., and about 100 inhabitants but at the present time there are not over twenty-five people there.
One of the noted characters who settled early in the vicinity of Stanton was Rev. Martin White. He came to Kansas from Christian County, Ill, was a well-educated Baptist minister and one of the most extreme Pro-slavery men. At the meeting of April 16, 1856, at which resolutions were adopted against the payment of taxes, and at which John Brown made an abolition speech, Rev. White several times offensively interrupted the speaker, As the Rev. gentleman was generally exceedingly obnoxious to the free-state men, a few nights after the above mentioned meeting occurred, a party of twelve of them attacked his house, opening fire on it. The firing was vigorously replied to by those inside. The attacking party soon retired, taking White's horses with them. On the next day White moved to Missouri settling permanently in Bates County. After having served in the Confederate army through the war, Mr. White returned to his home in Bates County and died of wounds received in the service.