|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SOMERSET, PART 2.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SOMERSET.
WILLIAM A. CROWL, farmer, Section 25, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg. Mr. Crowl was born in Franklin County, Pa., September 23, 1837. When nine years of age he moved to Fulton County, Ill., afterward to McDonough County. He enlisted in the late war, in the fall of 1861, as a private of Company F, Fifty-fifth Illinois Volunteers. He was wounded in one hand by gunshot at the battle of Shiloh, and received an honorable discharge in the fall of 1862, for disability from wounds received in action. In 1866, he moved to Bates County, Mo., and from there to Middle Creek, Kan., in 1868. He was married in Illinois, March 2, 1865, to Miss Frances Marshall, daughter of John Marshall. Mrs. Crowl was born in England and came to America in childhood. they have five children-F. May, Annie E., John F., William C., and Nellie L. Mr. Crowl has a well-improved farm of eighty acres and 120 acres that he worked under lease.
JAMES A. FLEMMING, farmer, Section 33, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Paola, was born in North Carolina in 1840; when twenty years of age, 1860, he came to Kansas. being a young man he made no particular place his home til 1866, when he settled on his farm in Miami Township, Miami County. He continued to reside at that place till 1879, when he moved to his present farm, Section 33, Middle Creek. He now has two farms, aggregating 370 acres. He was married in Miami County, Kan., August, 1874, to Miss Amanda M. Shipley, daughter of Thos. Shipley. Mrs. Flemming was born in Tennessee. They have six children living- Thomas M., John C., Louis P., James H., Jessie V. Elmore S.
HENRY G. GATLIN, farmer, Section 14, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg was born in Tazewell County, Ill. He removed to Sangamon County, Ill in his youth, and was brought up in that county on a farm. He enlisted in Company G, Thirty-second Regiment Missouri Volunteers, and was discharged for physical disability after six months service. He immigrated to Missouri in 1869, and from there to Kansas in 1873., and settled on his present farm of eighty-five acres, situated on Section 14, Middle Creek. He was married in Illinois, June 11, 1855, to Miss Adaline, daughter of Wilson Owen. Mrs. Gatlin was born in Perry County, Ill. They have five children living- William H., Alice M., wife of Mr. Q. Sims of Middle Creek; Frank, Henry W. and Edward. Mr. Gatlin has served four and a half years as Justice of the Peace, while in Kansas.
GORSUCH & BURNS, proprietors of Combined Grist and Saw Mill. This company's mill was built in 1871, by the Somerset Town Company. Subsequently sold to Snowden & Gorsuch and in November, 1882, Mr. James Burns purchased Mr. Snowden's interest; the mill has since been owned and operated by Gorsuch & Burns. The mill is a wooden structure, operated by steam. Has a thirty-horse power engine. The milling department ha one four foot buhr, capable of grinding 100 bushels of grain per day. Manufacture flour, corn, meal, feed, etc. The sawing department is fitted with one large circular saw capable of sawing 3,000 feet of lumber per day. Mr. Gorsuch came to Kansas in 1871, and Mr. Burns about 1869.
LEVI HODGES, farmer, Section 5, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Somerset, was born in Pike County, Ohio, March 1, 1820; was brought up a farmer, and moved to Morgan County, Ill., in October, 1838; he was engaged in farming there until 1872; he then moved to Kansas and settled on his present farm. He was married in 1846, to Miss Susan Crisman. They had one child which died in infancy. Mrs. Hodges died in January, 1849. Mr. Hodges was married again in September 15, 1859 in Morgan County, ill. to Mrs. Elizabeth Lake, daughter of Jacob Crisman. They had nine children, six of whom are living-Thomas, of the firm of Hodges& Wright, druggists of Louisburg; Emeline, wife of William Pettigrew; William, Susan, wife of Thomas Middlemas; Alex and Henry, who reside in Middle Creek; David, Lizzie and Maria, who died in infancy. Mr. Hodges has a well improved farm of 320 acres.
CHRIS. KOHLENBERG, farmer, Section 24, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Germany May 14, 1848. Immigrated to America in 1850 with his parents; was brought up on a farm in Madison County, Ill. Was married in Illinois, February 18, 1871, to Miss Minnie Schoenmann, daughter of Henry Schoenmann. Mrs. Kohlenberg was born in Germany, They have five children, all boys-William C., Chris. L., Henry F., Charles P., and August H. Mr. Kohlenberg immediately after his marriage moved to Kansas and settled in the township of Wea, Miami County, where he was engaged in farming until 1874, when he moved to his present farm of 231 acres in Middle Creek.
COLUMBUS F. LAY, farmer, Section 23, Township 17, range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Grant County, Ind., June 7, 1837; moved to Howard, Ind., where he was brought up on a farm. He enlisted in September, 1861, as a private in Company A, Eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteers. He was regularly promoted to Second Lieutenant, and served three years. Mr. Lay was married in Indiana, September 13, 1864 to Miss Rebecca Bates. Mrs. Lay was born in Howard County, Ind. They have six children-Flora, Alla, Oscar E., Glenn, Laura and one daughter unnamed. Mr. Lay has a pleasantly situated farm of 320 acres, well supplied with timber and water, making it a favorable place for stock growing.
JACKSON MCNELLEY, (deceased) was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1834; was the son of John McNelley. Mr. McNelley was one of the very earliest pioneers of Miami County. He came here with his father in 1857 and made his home in the township of Middle Creek, and was engaged in farming. He was married in Cass County, Mo., September 6, 1860, to Miss Catherine, daughter of Henry Wilson. Mrs. McNelley was born in Illinois. They have five children-Charles W., John, William, Annie B., and Edgar. Mr. McNelley made his home on Section 36, Middle Creek, where he was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred March 10, 1876. His widow and children still occupy the farm on Section 36, where they have 160 acres, having also another farm of 160 acres on Section 24, same town. Mr. McNelley, was a consistent member of the Christian Church. Was a Democrat in politics and was widely and favorably known as an upright, honorable man.
GEORGE MCQUEEN, farmer, Section 9, Township 17, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was among the earliest pioneers of Miami County. He came here June 1, 1857, and engaged to work for an Indian named John Charlie, who lived on the farm now owned by Mr. George Starry. He worked six years for this Indian. In April, 1862, he enlisted in the Kansas Militia; served till March, 1864. he then enlisted in the Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; was first Duty-Sergeant and Company Commissary and served till the close of the war. About 1865, he bought the tract of land where the village of Somerset now stands. He sold out to the Kansas & Texas R. R., in December, 1870, and April, 1871, purchased his present farm of 340 acres. He was born in Oswego County, N. Y. in October, 1833; moved with his parents to Indiana when four years of age; was brought up on a farm, and in 1857, emigrated to Kansas. He was married, in 1872, August 4, in Wea Township to Miss Elizabeth Lantz, daughter of William Lantz. Mrs. McQueen was born in Ohio. They have one child-Elmer T.
MARTIN L. MORRIS, farmer, Section 28, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Wade, was born in Uniontown, Fayette Co., Pa., January 22, 1816; was brought up on a farm. He learned the printer's trade and in 1840, published the American Union, weekly Democratic paper. He emigrated to Iowa in 1854 and located at Iowa City. He was connected with a paper at Des Moines, as editor. He was elected State Treasurer and entered upon the duties of his office December 1, 1852. He was re-elected twice and held the office until January 1, 1859. He left Iowa in 1869 and came to Leavenworth, Kan. One year later, he moved to his present farm, being one of the very first to locate in and improve that section of the county. He was married in Pennsylvania January 22, 1838, to Miss Sarah J. Wood, daughter of Clement Wood, a prominent man of that region. They have four children living- Priscilla L. (wife of A. M. Price, of Mo.), Mattie (wife of John Dutton of Miami County, Kan.), Ella (wife of John Arnie), Morgan R. (married and living in Middle Creek). Mr. Morris enlisted in the late war in July, 1861, in Company F, First Iowa Cavalry, and was promoted to Quartermaster and served three years.
HENRY POST, merchant and Postmaster, was born in New Jersey October 15, 1832; moved to Illinois in 1864, where he was farming till 1872. He then came to Miami County, Kan., in the fall of that year, and opened a general store at Somerset in the spring of 1873, and has continued in business here to this date. He was appointed Postmaster in May, 1882. He was married in New Jersey, in 1858, to Mrs. Louisa Jackson, daughter of Julius Johnson. Mrs. Post was born in New Jersey. They had two children. the eldest, John D., is an employee at the Insane Asylum at Osawatomie. The younger, Louis H. died aged seven years. Mrs. Post had a son by her former marriage-Ira A. Jackson, now a railroad conductor, in Northern Indiana. Mr. Post was elected, as a Republican, in 1880 to represent the Eastern District, Miami County, in the Lower House of the Kansas Legislature.
WILLIAM ROGERS, farmer, Section 31, Township 17, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was born in England in 1840 and immigrated to America, in 1857, with his parents, and made his home in Iroquois County, Ill. Enlisted in 1861, in Company G, Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteers and served three years and three months. In 1867, moved to Cass County, Mo., and the following year came to Kansas, and located in Middle Creek Township, Miami County where he has held various positions of public honor and trust. He was married, in March, 1868, to Miss Hannah J., daughter of John and Rachel Hawkin. Mrs. Rogers was born in Michigan. They have two children, Rachel A. and Richard J. Mr. Rogers came to Kansas, like many others, with limited means; began by purchasing eighty acres of land, and by industry and good management, has increased his possessions until he now has 515 acres of fine land, a large proportion of which is under cultivation., He is classed among the responsible and prosperous citizens of Miami County.
W. B. SMITH, farmer, Section 21, Township 17, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Frederick Co., Md., April 14, 1808. He moved to Mason County, Ill., in 1845, where he resided until 1867, when he emigrated to Kansas. He located on his present farm of 180 acres in Middle Creek. Mr. Smith was married, in Ohio, November, 1838, to Miss Louisa Rahauser. They had a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters-Rufus P. (was a soldier in the late war, and served three years as a member of the Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteers, now a resident of Middle Creek, Kan.) Letitia(is the wife of L. E. Fager, of Illinois), Sarah I. (wife of James Newman, of Missouri), Fred R. (of Middle Creek), Ann E. (also of Chillicothe, Mo), Charlotte C. (wife of T. McConnell, of Emporia, Kan.) George S. (also of Emporia), Sylvia R. and Cassius B. (live at the old homestead).
LEONIDAS W. TANDY, M. D., physician, was born in Monroe County, Mo., January 25, 1850. He began the study of medicine at Barry, Ill., in 1868; he took a regular course at the American Medical College of St. Louis, Mo., and graduated in June, 1872. He at once moved to Kansas and established himself in practice at Somerset, Miami County. He was married in Monroe County, Mo., January 26, 1875, to Miss Emma, daughter of William Gaitskill. Mrs. Dr. Tandy was born in Corsicana, Texas. they have had three children. The eldest, Thaddeus, died in childhood. The two younger who are living are Daisy and Harry.
ALFRED M. TAYLOR, farmer, Section 36, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Paola, is a native of Portage County, Ohio, and was born October 14, 1840. Moved to Kane County, Ill., with his parents in his youth. He enlisted in the late war July 10, 1861, as a private, Company G., Nineteenth Illinois Infantry; was transferred in 1862 to the Chicago Independent Battery B and served till July 10, 1865, making four years' service to a day. He received a gun-shot wound in the battle of Franklin, Tenn., December, 1864. During his service he participated in twenty-one general engagements, besides the skirmishes in the intervals; served under Sherman; was promoted to First Sergeant. At the close of the war he returned to Illinois, and immigrated to Kansas in 1868; made his home in Middle Creek. Since his residence here he has owned three different farms. He has occupied his present farm of 160 acres, since 1882. he was married April 9, 1865, in Illinois, to Miss Sabrina, daughter of H. H. Bowen. Mrs. Taylor was born in Will County, ill. They have six children-M. Fannie, Harry H., Annie E., Nettia A., A. Leland and Florence M.
H. L. WATSON, farmer, Section 17, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Warren County, Ind., November 19, 1826. He was brought up a farmer and came to Kansas June 16, 1874, and moved to his present farm, November 4, 1875. Mr. Watson has a fine stock farm of 310 acres. He was married in Indiana, in 1849, to Miss Isabel D. Butler. they had eleven children-eight of whom are living- Sarah A., wife of J. H. Clem, of Indiana, Ellen, wife of A. B. Clem, of Indiana, Jennie, wife of Daniel Starry, of Middle Creek; Merrilla, wife of George B. Starry, of Wea; Jennette, wife of Edgar Fessenden; Henriette, twin sister of Jennette, wife of Eugene Eessenden, both of Louisburg; Harry and Isabel at home. Mrs. Watson died in February, 1872. Mr. Watson was married again in December, 1872 to Mrs. Maggie Elder, daughter of Nicholas Starry. Mrs. Watson was born in Indiana. Two children were born of this marriage-Pearl and Emma. Mrs. Watson had two sons by her former marriage-Ora D. and Nicholas.
ABE WESTFALL, farmer, Section 16, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Somerset, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, September 25, 1827, was brought up a farmer and emigrated to Kansas in 1857, and located in Osage Township, Miami County. From there he went to Paola in 1863, and the following year moved to Franklin County. He spent nine years in Franklin County farming and then returned to Paola, and from there to Osawatomie Township. In 1875, he moved to his present farm of 392 acres, situated in Middle Creek Township. Mr, Westfall served sixteen months in the late war as Government Scout and also served in the State Militia. He was married in Carroll County, Ohio, November 10, 1850 to Adaline Croxton, a daughter of William Croxton. Mrs. Westfall was born in Ohio. the Westfall farm is noted as the site of the famous burning gas well, that lights up the surrounding country and for its celebrated tar spring and salt wells. The gas well was opened by a company while boring for oil in July, 1882, the gas was found at a depth of 300 feet. The volume is immense. it is discharged through a six inch pipe and has a pressure of 160 pounds to the square inch. The company continued sinking the well till a depth of 1,500 feet was attained, a vein of salt water of great strength and volume was struck, but no oil of consequence. The gas was lighted and has burned steadily since, night and day, lighting up the surrounding country and in cold winter weather attracting by its heat hundreds of cattle and horses that find a sleeping place within the range of its genial warmth. The Paola Gas Company are preparing to lay pipes to conduct the gas to Paola, a distance of seven miles where it will be used to light the city. It is intended to have the work completed in the summer of 1883. The tar spring, situated a short distance to the north of the gas well, and near the northeast corner of Section 16, has been long noted for the curative properties of its water and the wonderful healing properties of the tar. The spring was known and frequented by the Indians long previous to the advent of the white man in this region. Here they brought their wounded people or horses and dressed their wounds with the tar, which never failed to heal with marvelous power. The water is said to be a specific for many chronic diseases.
ARTHUR P. WILLIAMS, farmer, Section 3, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Wales, July 19, 1848. He emigrated to America with his parents in infancy. The family settled in Green Lake County, Wis., where he was brought up on a farm. He moved to Iowa City, Iowa, where he was married, January 1, 1869, to Miss Mary, daughter of Joseph Jones. Mrs. Williams was born in Wales. They remained at Iowa City till 1873, they then immigrated to Kansas and purchased the a farm of 120 acres where they now reside on Section 3, Middle Creek. They have a family of three daughters and a son, Gwen Ellen, Jennie E., William and Annie. Mr. Williams has been chosen to fill various local offices, the duties of which he has discharged with ability and fidelity. He has twice served as Township Trustee of Middle Creek and now serving as Clerk, having been elected to the latter office in February, 1883.
RICHARD A. WOOD, farmer, Section 24, Township 17, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Richland County, Ohio, June 20, 1843. In 1856 he moved to McDonough County, Ill., where he was brought up a farmer. He enlisted August, 1862, in Company A, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry. His health failing him he was discharged in the summer of 1863, for physical disability. He continued to reside in Illinois till 1877, when he immigrated to Kansas and purchased his present farm on Section 24, Middle Creek. Mr. Wood is the present Trustee of Middle Creek Township, having been elected in February, 1883. He was married in Illinois, October 17, 1866, to Miss Elsie Maxwell, daughter of Abner Maxwell. Mrs. Wood was born in Fulton County, Ill. They have five children-Minnie M., Austin J., Clarence, Laura E., and Franklin E. Mr. Wood has a well improved farm of eighty-eight acres.
This flourishing town is in Wea Township, on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad (recently changed to the Missouri Pacific), twelve miles east of Paola. The first settlements in the township were made as early as 1856, but Louisburg was not started until 1868, on November 10 of which year it was surveyed and laid out by Charles Sims, Dr. R. F. Steger and D. L. Peery. About a year before this survey a settlement was made a quarter of a mile east of the present site of Louisburg, a town started and called St. Louis, or Little St. Louis; but in order to avoid confounding the new town with St. Louis, Mo., it was given the name of Louisburg in 1870. Originally the town site consisted of eighty acres, but by various additions it has been increased to over 200 acres. Previous to 1867, when a postoffice was established and Dr. Steger made Postmaster, the people of this vicinity obtained their mail at Paola. After the town site was laid out E. M. Sexton erected the first building thereon, which was used for a dwelling and a store. Charles Skinner erected the second store. Dr. Steger built the first residence in May, 1869, and started the first hotel. Daniel Martin build the second residence and John Richardson the third, all three being frame or "box" houses. About the same time three or four Indians dwellings were built, and James Newman erected a blacksmith shop. Dr. Odell built a drug store 12 x 20 feet in size. some say that the first hotel was built in 1870 by Anthony Cott, an Indian. The present fine brick hotel was built in 1881 by W. H. Tawney at a cost of $5,000. It is called the "Clark House" is well furnished and can accommodate twenty-five guests.
The first school in Louisburg was taught by Miss Olivia Martin in 1871. The first preacher was J. P. Everett. Years before there had been preaching in the settlement by Rev. A. Meant, a Southern Methodist, in 1858; by Rev. Wm. Huffman, a United Brethern minister in 1859, who held a protracted meeting; and in the same year by Rev. Garrett.
Louisburg was made a city of the third class November 3, 1882. The territory included within the city limits comprises the northeast quarter of section 31, the south half of southeast quarter of Section 30, all in Township 16 south, Range 25 east. The first city election was held November 17, 1882; 141 votes being polled. Samuel W, Moore was elected Mayor, and the following gentlemen Councilmen: M. A. Fessenden, H. A. Williams, J. B. Plitcher, D. H. Ebbert and W. H. Tawney. Peter H. Goebel was elected Treasurer; Robert A. Wright, Clerk; R. W. Sanders, Marshal and John McNilley, Police Judge. The population of the city is about 900 now, in January, 1883; and gives promise of a rapid and healthy growth. The city now has eight brick business buildings and three church buildings- Methodist, Baptist and Christian. The Presbyterians have an organized society but at present hold services in the Methodist Church, There are four physicians-J. D. Bryan, J. B. Plitcher, E. W. Riley and D. W. Hayes.
Louisburg Council, No 3, R. T. of T., a Temperance insurance organization, was established February 15, 1882. the first officers were, H. L. Phillips, select councilor; Vice Councilor, Nettie Bryan; Past Councilor, L. T. Brown; Secretary, R. A. Wright. The present officers are the same except the secretary, that officer now being Mrs. Sue A. Phillips. the Council is working successfully with a membership of eighteen.
Louisburg Lodge, No. 180, A. F. & A. M. was chartered October 16, 1879. First master was R. H. Hyatt. The lodge is in good healthy, working condition, with a membership of thirty five. Peter Goebel is the present master, E. P. Short, secretary. The lodge meets on the first and third Friday of each month.
Louisburg at present contains four general stores, three drug stores, three groceries, two hardware stores, two harness shops, two shoe shops, one lumber yard, one bank, two blacksmith shops, two agricultural implement dealers, one grain dealer, one furniture store, two hotels, one fine two -story brick schoolhouse, 36x72 feet, erected in the fall of 1882 at a cost of $6000, 272 scholars, and a population of about 900. It is a lively business town, one of the best shipping points in the county. The estimated shipments for 1882 are 175 cars of flax, 250 cars of grain and 200 cars of cattle.
The Louisville and Miami Herald This is a weekly newspaper, edited and published by Emanuel F. Heisler. It was established by him July 4, 1876. It is an eight column folio, patent inside, Greenback in politics and has a circulation of 1,000 copies weekly.
Wea Postoffice was established October 8, 1873, and is located at the southwest corner of Section 29, Township 15, Range 25. Joseph Vohs was the first postmaster. He served until April, 1876, when Eugene Vohs, the present encumbent was appointed. A general store was started at this place in 1872 by Honor Mayer, who conducted business until March, 1876, when he sold out to Eugene Vohs, the present proprietor.
A Catholic Church, called the Holy Rosary Church, was build just south and east of the postoffice, in 1869. It was a frame building, costing $3,500. Rev. Father Fabre held the first services in the new church., Father Meyer, from Eudora, was the regular pastor. The congregation is composed of sixty-two families, about 350 members. Rev. John Rideker was appointed to this charge, November 16, 1880 and remains the pastor.
The first actual settler in Township 15, Range 25, was George Wickline, now deceased, who settled in 1857, on Section 30. Anthony Vohs was the second on the same section in 1859. During this year William Schwartz settled on the same section and Jacob Schwartz came in 1860. Joseph Vohs came in 1863. This settlement is one of the healthiest in Miami County.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - LOUISBURG (BARKER - BRYAN).
JOHN BARKER, farmer, Section 26, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, has 170 acres of land, including 10 acres of timber in Middle Creek Township, Section 3. Mr. Barker was born in Monroe County, N. Y. in 1829; moved to Ohio with his parents when two years of age. In 1851 he moved to Illinois where he was engaged in farming til 1869; he then removed to Kansas, settled in Wea, Miami County on his present farm. He was married in Ohio, in 1851 to Miss Curline, daughter of Horace Watson. Mrs. Barker was born in the State of New York. They have five children-Lanson H., living in the township of Middle Creek; Gertrude, widow of Mr. Maybury; Clarence N., Cora and Charles E. Mr. Barker has a well improved farm in one of the richest sections of Miami County.
RANDOLPH BOYD, civil engineer and farmer, Section 20, Township 16, Range 25, has 120 acres, P. O. Louisburg. He was born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1824. Received a free school and academic education; studied the theory and practice of civil engineering while in the engineer service of the B. & O. Ry. Co. Was employed as sub-assistant engineer in various capacities-on location and construction between Cumberland, Md., and Wheeling, Va., for about four years. Appointed leveler on location of C. & M. Ry., in Ohio; transitman or surveyor on location of Pittsburgh branch of B. & O. Ry; in charge of construction of nine miles from Connellsville west, and upon the resignation of C. P. B. Jeffries, was made engineer in charge of construction of Sand Patch Tunnel and approaches through the dividing ridge of the Alleghany Mountain in Somerset Co, Pa. Was superintendent of Central Basin Oil Co. of Pittsburgh, Pa., during the winter of 1864, and in the spring of 1865. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1866 and purchased a quarter section of land in the Indian Reservation known as the Ten Sections, then just offered for sale, the titles for which were made by the United States Government in pursuance of treaty stipulations previously made with these Indians. About a year later Mr. Boyd sold out and bought his present farm on Section 20. In 1867 he surveyed and plaited the village of St. Louis since called Louisburg and now a city. He was employed for a short time as civil engineer by the M. K. & T. Ry at Harrisonville, Mo. and for five consecutive years as station agent at Louisburg, commencing with the opening of that road in this vicinity.
LEVI T. BROWN, retired farmer, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, April 3, 1826. He was brought up on a farm and moved to Indiana in 1854; settled in Kosciusko County, where he was engaged in farming. He came to Kansas in 1871, and purchased a farm of 160 acres, being the southeast quarter of Section 20, Township 15, Range 25, Wea, and March 1, 1872, moved his family to their new home. He devoted considerable attention to the breeding of blooded stock. In 1877 he removed to Louisburg and in 1882 sold his farm. He was married in Ohio in 1853, to Miss P. J. Heddington. They had four children- Elmer H., of Paola Township; Mary E., wife of James T. Lee; Annie J., wife of S. V. Lee, of Anderson County ; John L., of Colorado. Mrs. Brown died October 6, 1869. Mr. Brown was married again June 9, 1870, to Miss Martha, daughter of John Snyder. Mrs. Brown was born in New Jersey. They have one child-Florence M. Mr. Brown was a soldier of the late war. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company C, Seventy-seventh Indiana Volunteers of Fourth Cavalry and served till the close of the war. The last two years of his service he was a member of the Veteran Reserve Corps. Since living in Kansas he has served four years as Justice of the Peace.
J. D. BRYAN, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in St. Charles County, Mo., in 1843, moved with his parents to Warren County, Mo., in early youth, and was educated in the common schools. he took three years' course of study at the St. Louis Medical College, and took his M. D. degree in 1870. He began practice in Franklin County, Mo, nearly a year previous to completing his course of studies at St. Louis. In 1870, he went to Jonesville, Cass Co.,. Mo., and spent a few months in practice, and then came to Little St. Louis, now Louisburg, Kan., and has practiced his profession at this place about twelve years. Dr. Bryan is a physician of knowledge, ability and skill, in his profession and ranks among the leading physicians of the county, as his extensive and lucrative practice goes to show. Dr. Bryan traces his ancestry to the historic family of Henry Bryan, the Bryans who founded Bryan's Station. In the early history of Kentucky, and with Daniel Boone, a brother-in-law, disputed with the Indians, the right to the "bloody grounds".