William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]


CADWALLADER BROS., Edgar F. and Robert H., proprietors of the Miami Nurseries, Louisburg, this business was established by the senior brother, Edgar F., near the city of Paola, in this county, and moved by him to his present location, on Section 31, adjoining the city of Louisburg, in 1875. In April, 1882, his brother Robert H., who had been managing salesman in the business for several years was admitted to partnership. This firm has 320 acres under stock, having one of the largest nurseries in the State. They do a strictly wholesale business except in their immediate neighborhood. Their stock consists of everything to be found in a well regulated Western Nursery, ornamental trees, shrubs and plants, fruit trees, osage plants, apple seedlings and root grafts; their trade extends through Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, and has reached mammoth proportions.

GEORGE CASEBEER, merchant dealer in general merchandise, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1849. Moved to Buchanan County, Iowa with his parents in 1859. He was educated at the upper Iowa University and took regular business course at the Eastmen Business College of Chicago. He was employed two years as merchant clerk in Iowa. Next spent three years in Kansas City, and in 1875, came to Louisburg, Kan., where he engaged in mercantile business under the firm name of Crowe & Casebeer. In 1880, he bought Mr. Crowe's interest and has since conducted the business alone. Mr. Casebeer has a fine brick double store stock of an average of $18,000, making one of the most complete general stores in the county. While only a lad, Mr. Casebeer served as a member of the Twenty-seventh Iowa Volunteers 100 days. Served in the late war.

JOHN W. CHAUDOINS, the earliest pioneer of this locality, now Louisburg. Farmer, dealer in and feeder of live stock. Has farm of 320 acres on Section 3, Township of Middle Creek. resides in the city of Louisburg. Mr. Chaudoins was born in Simpson County, Ky., of French parentage, December 18, 1832. He was brought up on a farm, and moved to Missouri in 1853, and soon after came to Kansas. He spent a few years in an unsettled manner between Missouri and Kansas and in 1857, purchased land in Wea, near what is now Louisburg; at that time there was not even a wagon road laid out in this region. He was engaged in farming and stock growing at this place several years and then moved to Middle Creek Township same county, where he now has a fine farm of 320 acres. During the late war he held a Second Lieutenant's commission in the Kansas Militia, and did good service. He has held the position of Township Trustee of Wea two terms. Mr. Chaudoins was married in 1857, in Cass County, Mo., to Miss E. L. Boren, daughter of Richard Boren. Mr. Chaudoins was the first white man to settle on the site of Louisburg, where he built the first house in the town.

JAMES W. CHILES, farmer Section 4, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, is a native of Kentucky and was born in Todd County, February 22, 1843. He passed his early youth in his native county and became a student of Bethel College, Logan County, Ky., At the age of seventeen years at the breaking out of the late war, he left the University to enter the Confederate service in which he served four years. He was married November 15, 1865, to Miss Clemie, daughter of James McElwain. Mrs. Chiles was born in Kentucky. They have five children living, John, Sallie, Deanie, William and James P. Mr. Chiles has a fine farm of 240 acres and is devoting considerable attention to the breeding of blooded horses and mules. His stock embraces some of the finest Kentucky stock.

JACOB COMBS, farmer, P. O. Louisburg, Section 8, Township 16, Range 24, has eighty acres of land, was born in Ross county, Ohio, in 1819, moved to Crawford County while quite young, was brought up on a farm; moved to Buchanan County, Mo., in 1839, spent seven years in that locality and then moved to Iowa. In 1862, he with his family immigrated by wagon to Oregon, spending six months without sleeping in a house. He spent two years in Oregon and Washington Territory but being dissatisfied with the climate, he brought his family back to Iowa by team, spending four months on the return trip. During their travels over the then unsettled regions of the West they were exposed to attacks from numerous bands of hostile Indians then ranging over that region. In 1869 Mr. Combs moved from Iowa to Kansas and located on his present farm in Wea Township.

J. E. COOPER, farmer, Section 7, Township 16, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Hampshire County, Va., in 1833. His father being proprietor of a large tannery, he learned the trade of tanner and currier. He then spent several years in travel in various States. In the fall of 1865 he moved to Ohio and from there to Kansas in the spring of 1868. He located in Miami County, in Township 16, Range 24, Wea, where he was engaged in farming. In 1876 he purchased the east half of Section 7, Township 16, Range 24, 320 acres. The following year he removed to this tract then in its natural and unimproved condition. Mr. Cooper, at this writing, 1883, has, by industry and good management, made it one of the best improved farms in the county. The never-failing springs and brooks on the southern portion of the farm are of immense advantage in stock growing.

LORENZO D. CROTCHETT, farmer, Section 5, Township 16, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg was born in Pope County, Ill., February 20, 1821. His parents were among the very earliest pioneers of that region. He was brought up on a farm and resided in Illinois till the fall of 1866, when he removed to Jackson County, Mo.; remained in that county till March, 1869, when he came to Kansas and settled on his present farm, Section 5, Wea. Mr. Crotchett has a finely improved farm of 87 i/2 acres. He was married in Pope County, Ill., in 1845, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Tanner. Mrs. Crotchett was born in Kentucky. They have ten children, eight of whom are living. The eldest Amanda J., died aged seventeen years. William H. and John W. are extensively engaged in farming in Wea Township, Thomas J., Lorenzo D, Margaret E. (now Mrs. Jacob Combs, of McPherson Co., Kan.) Charles P., Charity E. (died aged ten years) Luzan and Mary J.

JAMES C. CUSEY, farmer, Section 32, Township 16, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg. The subject of this sketch is a native of Ashland County, Ohio and was born May 1, 1831. He received a common school education and began the business of life as a farmer and stock grower. In 1856, he moved to Iowa and located in Humbolt County where he was engaged in his former line of business. He took an active interest in and became prominently identified with the improvement and development of that region. He was chiefly instrumental in securing the establishment of the State Agricultural College at Ames, Story County, and for four years served as a member of the Board of Trustees of that institution. By his energetic and untiring efforts contributed largely to its well-known success. he was elected Sheriff of Humbolt County, was re--elected and served four years, discharging the duties of the office with ability and fidelity. In 1870 he removed to Kansas and purchased a large farm on Section 1, Township of Paola, Miami County. Although a Republican in politics, his love of good government and an honest administration of public affairs caused him to affiliate with the reform movement in opposition to his party, or what he believed to be a corrupting ring controlling its operations. He was elected in 1873, on the reform ticket as a member of the Lower House of the Kansas Legislature; was re-elected in 1874, and served two terms. he took a leading part in the business of the House and served on several important committees. In 1875, much against his inclination, he was nominated by the Reform party as their candidate for Governor, and although defeated with the rest of the ticket, he had the satisfaction of receiving the very flattering home endorsement of 1, 218 votes in Miami County against 855 for his opponent Mr. Osborn. The majority against him in the State was about 7,000 as shown by the official count. But had the illegal votes cast in unorganized western counties been rejected, the result would have been reversed. Mr. Cusey has taken an active part in favor of an honest and economical administration of county affairs in opposition to all sorts of jobbing and corruption, and under the influence of the reform movement has had the satisfaction of seeing the expenses of the county government reduced nearly half. He was married in Licking County, Ohio, December 28, 1854 to Miss Mary, daughter of Samuel Musselman, they have a family of six children, two sons and four daughters. In the fall of 1878, Mr. Cusey sold out in Paola Township and purchased his present well-cultivated farm of 340 acres, on Section 32, Wea, adjacent to the city of Louisburg.

D. FRANK DAYTON, farmer, Section 21, Township 16, range 24, P. O. Somerset. The subject of this sketch is one of the earliest pioneers of Miami County. Having settled on the northeast quarter of Section 23, Township 15, Range 23, now Marysville Township, in June, 1857. In 1867, he moved to his present farm. his farm consists of 644 1/2 acres of fine land, 100 acres of which is timber land. Mr. Dayton was born in Rutland County, Vt., December 1, 1819. He was brought up a farmer, and moved to Branch County, Mich., in 1855. Two years later he came to Kansas, June, 1857. During the late war he served in the Kansas Militia, in defense of the state. He was married in Vermont, July 3, 1842, to Miss Maria Brown. Two children were born of this marriage- Mary B., and Mary, the eldest died in childhood. Mrs. Dayton died May 26, 1851. Mr. Dayton was married again June 17, 1853, at Gilead, Branch Co., Mich., to Mrs. Jane Maxson, widow of Dr. William Maxson, and daughter of Job Williams. Mrs. Dayton was born in Onondaga County, N. Y. Three children were born of this marriage-Alfred A., Fred A. and Frank E. The two elder died in childhood, the youngest Frank E. is residing with his parents. Mr. Dayton now in the evening of his days, is in enjoyment of all the advantages of a thrifty, well improved and well-ordered farm. His buildings are tasty and commodious and the stranger is always sure of a hearty welcome at the fireside of the genial-hearted pioneer.

REUBEN FELLOWS, farmer, Section 27, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Tompkins County, N. Y. in 1831. Moved to Pine Valley, Pa., when quite young, and from there to Palmer, N. Y. When seventeen years of age he began learning the carpenter's trade, became master of calling, and worked at that trade many years. Shortly before the war he moved to Kane County, Ill. In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Eighth Illinois Cavalry; was appointed First Sergeant, and served three years. He came to Kansas in 1866 and located on his present farm of 160 acres. Mr. Fellows worked at his trade in Louisburg several years after he had located on his farm; has one of the best improved farms of this rich neighborhood. In addition to his quarter section in Wea, he has a ten acre timber tract in Middle Creek Township He was married in New York in 1853 to Miss Mary Jane Colburn, who died within two years after her marriage (1855) Mr. Fellows was married again at Aurora, Ill., October 27, 1859 to Miss Mary A., daughter of Lewis Pipher. Mrs. Fellows was born in Jefferson Co., N. Y. They have four children-Leon, died aged twelve years. the others are living-Lula M., Jessie M. and Harry M.

M. A. FESSENDEN, merchant, dealer in dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, and queensware, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y. in 1829. Was brought up a farmer and removed to Cass County, Mich., in 1848. Was engaged in farming in that county till 1865, when he removed to Nemaha County, Kansas, and two years later moved to the site of Little St. Louis, now Louisburg, Miami County. Helped build the first house in the place; was a carpenter by trade and in pursuance of that calling built many of the early houses of this place. About 18670 he engaged in mercantile business with Mr. M. Reed, under the firm name of Reed & Fessenden, and subsequently was interested in the same line with Mr. William Wright. Since 1880 has been alone in business. He now carries a full stock in his line of $5,000 value. He was one of the proprietors of Reed & Fessenden's addition to Louisburg. He is at present the owner of a fine farm of 320 acres, situated in Coffey County. Mr. Fessenden has served two terms as Township Treasurer of Wea and is now serving as a member of the first City Council of Louisburg. He was married in 1840, in Oakland County, Mich., to Miss Polly Thompson, who died in 1847, leaving one child, a son, Willard, now of Coffey County, Kansas. Mr. Fessenden was subsequently married in Van Buren County, to Miss Polly, daughter of R. Bell. There are three children of this marriage- Edgar, Owen and Frank.

JACOB FLANDERS, farmer, Section 33, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill was born in Washington County, Ohio, May 9, 1832. Was brought up a farmer and emigrated to Kansas in October, 1867. He located on his present farm of 120 acres on Section 33, Wea. Mr. Flanders was married in Ohio, April 27, 1857, to M. Eunice Palmer, daughter of Joseph Palmer. Mrs. Flanders was born in Ohio. They have two sons-Charles D. and Truman E.

NEHEMIAH FLANDERS, farmer, Section 20, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, was born in Washington County, Ohio, March 16, 1834. Served his time to the trade of carpenter and joiner, and followed that vocation till 1864, in his native State. He then came to Kansas, where he worked a carpenter and builder till the fall of 1869. He then settled on his present farm in Wea. He was married in Ohio September 23, 1858, to Miss Jane M. Steward, daughter of John A. Steward. Mrs. Flanders was born in Noble County, Ohio. They have five children-John W., Florence E., Judson R., William O., and Edwin W.

O. L. GARDNER, farmer, Section 32, Township 16, Range 25, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in July, 1838; when eight years of age he moved with his parents to Massachusetts, resided in the old Bay State until seventeen years of age when he moved to Illinois. In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Eighth Illinois Cavalry and served three years, in the late war. In April 1867, he came to Miami County, Kan., and purchased his present farm adjacent to the city of Louisburg. He was married in the fall of 1865, in Illinois to Miss Alice, daughter of Asa Ellithorp. They have three children-Oscar, Ida and Lester.

JAMES M. GASSAWAY, farmer, Section 31, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., March 2, 1835. He learned the carpenter's trade, immigrated to Kansas in March, 1857, located at Wyandotte, then only an Indian town composed of log huts. He remained but a short time at Wyandotte and then established himself at Quindaro, of Wyandotte County. In April, 1858, he moved to Wea, Miami County, and took up a homestead on Sections 31 and 32, Township 15, Range 24. He was afterwards pre-empted the same lands and paid the Government of $1.25 per acre, and has made his home on this land to the present time. During the late war he served in the Kansas Militia. He was married December 18, 1859, in Bates County, Mo., to Miss Agnes Munkres; five children were born to them, four of whom are living-Mary A., Laura D., John M. and Nathaniel D. Mrs. Gassaway died January 27, 1870. Mr. Gassaway was married in Miami County, Kan., June 6, 1871 to Olive Lavett, daughter of John Lavett. Mrs. Gassaway was born in Hampshire County, Va. They have six children-Bertha L., Leefy, Harvey B., Albert W., Nora O. and one daughter unnamed.

PETER W. GOEBEL, dealer in drugs, books, stationery, insurance agent, notary and conveyancer, was born in Germany in 1858, came to America, in January 1873, located in west part of the Township of Wea, Miami Co, Kansas. In 1875, he came to Louisburg and clerked for S. W. Moore, druggist til April, 1979, when he started his present business. he has a well stocked store in his line and carries an average stock of $3,500. Mr. Goebel, has been Treasurer of Wea Township three years, and District School Clerk; at the first city election of Louisburg, in 1882, he was chosen City Treasurer.

JOSEPH N. GRIMES, farmer, Section 30, Township 16, Range 24, P. O. Somerset, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, December 25, 1846. He moved to Illinois with his parents in 1857, where he was brought up on a farm. In 1872, he came to Kansas and settled in Wea, Miami County. He was married in Kansas, April 3, 1878, to Miss Nora Markley, daughter of H. A. Markley. they have two sons-William and Howard. Immediately after his marriage, Mr. Grimes located on his present farm of 150 acres on Section 30.

GEORGE W. HAND, farmer and live stock dealer resides in Louisburg; has a farm of 110 acres on Sections 17 and 20, Wea. Mr. Hand was born in McLean County, Ill., in 1827, was brought up a farmer and stock grower. He moved to Iowa in 1855 settled in Humbolt County, where he had a tract of 1, 500 acres and was largely interested in stock growing. He was a pioneer of that region, his family being the second to settle in that county. He was elected a member of the Lower House of the Iowa Legislature in 1864, and re-elected in 1865. He was also County School Fund Commissioner for Kossuth County, Iowa. In 1869, he moved to Kansas, and bought a half section of land (320 acres), in Wea, Miami County, and subsequently bought his present farm in the same town. He has been engaged in growing and dealing in live stock continuously since; he has kept from 50 to 100 head of cattle and about 200 head of hogs. He sold his half section of land to his son John W. and in the fall of 18709 moved to the village of Louisburg.

JOHN W. HAND, farmer, P. O. Louisburg, grower of and dealer in live stock, resides on Section 32, adjacent to the city of Louisburg, where he ha eighty acres of land. He also has 160 acres in Section 29, same town, and eighty acres in Middle Creek, making in all 320 acres. He also has several city lots. Mr. Hand was born in McLean County, Ill, in October, 1848; moved with his parents to Humboldt County, Iowa, in 1855, where on attaining his majority he became a partner of his father, G., W. Hand in a large stock farm of 1, 500 acres. In 1869, he moved to Wea still in company with his father and purchased a half section of land (320 acres) where they continued the stock business. J. W. subsequently bought his father's interest and is now operating alone. in 1878 he moved to his present residence near the city of Louisburg.

D. WILSON HAYS, physician and surgeon, was born in Fulton County, Ill. in 1858. He was educated in the Canton High School and took a regular business course at the Jacksonville Business College. He entered upon the study of medicine in the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., received the degree of M. D. in March, 1882. He located in Louisburg, Kan and entered upon the practice of his profession., Dr. Hays is a promising young physician and has already acquired a flattering reputation as a surgeon.

JACOB HEDRICK, farmer, P. O. Louisburg, Section 19, Township 16, Range 25, has eighty acres in his farm and a tract of eight acres adjoining the city of Louisburg. Mr. Hedrick was born in Fleming County, Ky., in 1824. Was brought up a farmer and removed to McClean County, Ill. in 1850. He was engaged in farming in that county till the summer of 1868, when he emigrated to Kansas, arriving in Wea, Miami County July 10. He had previously purchased his present farm, which he has under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Hedrick is now serving his fourth term as trustee of the Township of Wea. Under the laws of Kansas this is the most important township office, the Trustee being the executive officer of the town. The duties of Assessor, Overseer of the Poor, Road Commissioner, Fence Viewer, and Prairie Fire Warden, etc. all devolve on the Trustee. Wea Township is the largest and the wealthiest in Miami County, having an area of ninety-four square miles, making the office of Trustee one of considerable responsibility.

DAVID H. HEFFLEBOWER, farmer, Section 32, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, was one of the earliest pioneers of the township of Wea and the largest landed proprietor; having at this date a number of fine farms aggregating 2, 120 acres. If lying in a body this property would form a tract one mile wide by a little more than three and a quarter miles long; This land is all first-class, every farm is improved and all occupied by tenants except his homestead. Mr. Hefflebower was born in Jefferson County, Va., January 1, 1836; removed to Hampshire County with his parents when six years of age; when twenty-one he started West (1857); spent the summer of that year in Missouri, and in the fall came to Kansas and located on the quarter section where he now resides. His success in acquiring an almost princely estate is due to the possession of superior business qualifications, a sagacious knowledge of men and values, and an energy and pluck that never weakened, earnest and ambitious of success in business, at home a genial, kind-hearted gentleman. He was married in Miami County, Kan., December 12, 11860, to Miss Lucy A. Holden, daughter of William and Mary Holden. Mrs. Hefflebower was born in Ohio. They have six children, the eldest, Edmonia, is the wife of Lambert Newton, of Spring Hill, Kan. Frances G., is the wife of Charles Stacy, of Wea. The younger members, W. Dexter, Ollie, Mary and Ethie are at home.

EZROM HEFFLEBOWER, farmer, Section 22, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill,. Mr. Hefflebower is one of the few remaining pioneers of 1858. He stuck his stakes in the Township of Wea, in the spring of that year. By preserving industry and good management, he has acquired a large property. His several farms aggregate 1,500 acres and are classed among the best of this fertile region. He was born in Jefferson County, Va., in 1829, moved to Hampshire County in his youth and from there to Missouri in 1857. The following spring he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. During the late war he served in the Kansas Militia. He was married February 2, 1860 to Miss Mary McKee, daughter of Joseph McKee. They have four children living-Luther, Virginia, Charles and Clarence. Mrs. Hefflebower died in August, 1872. Mr. Hefflebower was married again in February 3, 1875 to Miss Belle Brown, who died December 23, 1880, leaving one child, a son, David C.

EMANUEL F. HEISLER, editor of the Louisburg Herald was born in Ashland, Ohio, October 25, 1838. At the age of fifteen he moved to Indiana, where he followed teaching a a profession. Just prior to the beginning of the civil war, he moved to Platte County, Mo., where he engaged in teaching. On the Fourth of July, 1861, he organized and conducted a celebration, at which he raised the only Union flag that was shown on that day in that county. Soon thereafter he received a pressing invitation to leave the state, which invitation, without discussing the questions involved, he promptly accepted and located in Wyandotte County, Kan. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Fourth Kansas Infantry, and was transferred to the Sixth Cavalry, and in this regiment was promoted to Second Lieutenant. On the 2nd of September, he was wounded at the battle of Drywood, Mo., in a contest with the Rebel Gen. Price. He served in the army over three years and after the close of his term of service he returned to Wyandotte County, and re-engaged in teaching., He was elected County Superintendent of Schools, and served, by re-election six years. In 1870 he published a war map of Wyandotte County and in 1874 an Historical Atlas of Johnson County, In the spring of 1876 he came to Louisburg and on July 4 started the Louisburg and Miami Herald.

THOMAS HODGES, of the firm of Hodges& Wright, druggists, was born in Scott County, Ill., April 22, 1853. He came to Kansas in August, 1872, and made his home in Somerset, Miami County. He went to Osawatomie in 1879, and engaged in the drug business. He sold out, and engaged as salesman for Chestnut Brothers, merchants, until February 15, 1883, when he came to Louisburg and formed a partnership with William M. Wright & Sons, R. A. under the firm name of Hodges & Wright, successors to Peter Goebel. This firm carries an average stock of $3,000, keeping a full assortment of drugs and medicines, books and stationery and toilet articles.

THOMAS HOLDEN, farmer, Section 27, Township 15, Range 24, P. O. Spring Hill, is one of the few remaining pioneers of 1858. Mr. Holden was born in Western Virginia, in 1816; moved to Washington County, Ohio, with his parents, when three years of age, in 1819. He was thus from childhood a pioneer., he was married in Ohio, in 1841, to Miss Hannah Flanders. They had five children-four daughters and one son. The eldest, Mary C., is Mrs. John E. Hollinsworth, of Ohio; Jane is Mrs. Charles Giller, of Missouri; Sarah A., is Mrs. John Smith; Hannah M. is Mrs. M. Dougherty, of Coffey County, Kan.; the son George is married, and lives in Wea. Mr. Holden emigrated to Miami County, Kan in the spring of 1858, and settled in Wea. Mrs. Holden died in 1868 and Mr. Holden married again in 1878, Mrs. M. A Purdom, widow of John Purdom and daughter of Daniel Cathcaart. She had one child by her former marriage-Eva. O. Mrs. Holden was married prior to her marriage with Mr., Purdom to Frederick Ford, by whom she had one son-Frank. There are two children by the present marriage-Thomas W. and Francis E. Holden.

A. A. KNIGHT, farmer, Section 36, Township 15, range 24, P. O. Louisburg, was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., March 26, 1827. He was brought up a farmer; when seventeen years of age he moved to LaSalle County, Ill., where he resided till February, 1879, when he came to Kansas and settled in the township of Wea. He was married in Illinois, February 20, 1856, to Miss Eliza, daughter of Daniel Post. Mrs. Knight was born in the State of New York. They have four children, the eldest, Arthur, died aged three years; Orson A., Edward L. and Cora, the latter died aged seven years. Mr. Knight has a well watered and fertile farm of 320 acres.

[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]