|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KNOWLES - WOOLHEATER).
PROF. L. M. KNOWLES, Principal of the Peabody Public School, was born near Augusta, Me., August 8, 1841. He left Maine at an early age and went with his parents to Winnebago County, Ill., among the first settlers of that State, where he resided fifteen years. He then went with his father's family to Green County, Wis., and remained there with the exception of fours years' service in the late civil war, till July 14, 1868, when he married Miss Electa Allen, and made a new home in Kansas, where he engaged in teaching, first in Bourbon County, at Mapleton, next at Independence, where he was employed as teacher and Superintendent ten years. He took charge of the Peabody schools in 1880 and to his untiring effort is due the present high standing of the schools, a certificate of graduation from them admitting the applicant to the freshman year of the State University. He has four children.
A. LEE, proprietor of the Grand Central Hotel. This house is centrally located; is a three story building, containing twenty-eight rooms. Mr. Lee took charge of the house and refitted it in 1882. Mr. Lee was born in Nova Scotia, May 6, 1818; moved to Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1824 and resided there until 1848; then moved to Bourbon County, Ky., and resided until coming to Kansas; engaged in mercantile business. He was married April 30, 1845, in Jefferson County, Ohio, to Miss Anna Bell, and has one son, H. V., who is now a traveling concert singer. Mr. Lee is a member of the Christian Church.
DR. A. C. LOOSE, physician and surgeon, located here in May, 1878; was born in Lebanon, Penn., October 2, 1843; removed to Mauch Chunk, Penn., when about fifteen years of age and worked in the foundry and machine shops of his uncle, Hon. Charles Allright, a prominent lawyer, politician and manufacturer of Pennsylvania. While thus engaged at work during the day, at night he would attend school or private instruction and at the breaking out of the rebellion he went to Berks County and taught school in winter and attended the State Normal School at Millersville during the summer. Served in the three months' service and re-enlisted in Company H, Two Hundred and Second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers September 30, 1864. October 10 of that year he was wounded and captured by Gen. Mosby's command, but recaptured by his comrades the same day; was discharged August 3, 1865; then prepared for Dickinson College, located at Carlisle, Penn., graduated at this institution in June, 1870; read medicine at Mauch Chunk with Dr. Horace De Young and graduated in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania (not Pennsylvania University) March 3, 1873; located at Wilkesbarre, and practiced there until coming to Kansas; was Surgeon of the Wyoming Division of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and attended as surgeon during the great mine fire of the Hollenback Mine of Wilkesbarre Coal & Iron Company, January 1, 1875. Was married to Emma R. Mosser, of Myerstown, Lebanon Co, Penn., in the spring of 1875; had one child, a daughter, Alice. His wife died June, 1876, and child in August, following. He was again married January 17, 1878 at Wilkesbarre, Penn., to Alice V. Spangler, and has one child- Mary Eva. He is a member of the Kansas State Medical Association and is also a member of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of H. and G. A. R. of Peabody.
C. LYNCH came to Kansas in 1873, located on a homestead on Section 22, Town 2, Range 1, in Marion County; remained on that farm five years and disposed of it; then purchased a farm on Section 14, in Butler County, seven miles southeast of Peabody, which he still owns. He has engaged in mercantile and other business in the city; was born in the County of Cork, Ireland August 12, 1841; when about ten years of age, he came to America, and located in Hamilton County, Ohio, where he remained until coming to Kansas; enlisted September 9, 1862, at Camp Dennison, Ohio, in Fifth Ohio Cavalry, Company C; was in Kilpatrick's Division of Sherman's army and in the famous march to the sea; was twice captured and paroled and exchanged. Was married February 12, 1868 at Cincinnati, Ohio, to Miss Kate Lind, and has seven children-Nettie, John, and Andy (twins) Nora, Dan, Tom and Willie. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.
COL. DUNCAN MCKERCHER, engaged in loan, insurance and real estate business. Col. McKercher came to Peabody in the fall of 1870, virtually before there was any town, and as a member of the Wisconsin Kansas Colony, but subsequently withdrew from that organization and improved a farm northeast of town two miles, on Section 34. This was his home until 1877, when he removed to the town. Col. McKercher was born in Livingston County, N. Y., January 14, 1819. His father, John McKercher, was a farmer. His mother's maiden name was Margaret McMartin. His early schooling was obtained at Temple Hill Academy, Genesco, N. Y. At seventeen, he showed an aptitude for mechanical work and was apprenticed as a carpenter, and learned the trade; removed to Perry, and in 1843 was married to Miss Betsy Benedict. In 1846, he with his family, moved to Oconomowoc, Waukesha County, Wis., where he remained until he was enrolled by Governor of the State of Wisconsin, on the 29th of July, 1861, and commissioned a Captain, and ordered to raise a company, which when raised, was assigned to the Tenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, on the 5th of October, and left the state from that point on the 9th of November following; they went to Kentucky, and were under the command of Gen. Mitchell. Was at the taking of Bowling Green, Nashville, Murfreesboro and Huntsville, Ala., where we cut communication between the two rebel armies about the time the battle of Pittsburg Landing was fought, in April, 1862. Soon after, he was at Bridgeport, where the Union forces drove the enemy across the bridge and they burned one-half of the same. In September, of the same year, he was in the retrograde movement of Gen. Buell from Huntsville to Louisville and the first day out his regiment, with a Michigan regiment, had a fight with the rebels at Stevenson, while transferring some trains. They were twenty-two days on that march, and it was extremely hot and dusty, and suffered much. Col. McKercher was present with his regiment at the battle of Perrysville on the 8th of October and out of 276 men he lost 145 in killed and wounded in two and a half hours and had six men killed within six feet of him and two of them he caught in his arms as they fell. He was at the battle of Stone River on the 31st of December, 1862, and the first days of January, 1863, and did considerable scouting and skirmishing during the following summer; was at the battle of Chickamauga, Ga., on the 13th and 20th of September, 1863. On the first day of the battle, in a charge, his horse was shot and killed. On the second day his brigade held a good location and had repulsed the enemy four times and at 4 o'clock P. M. he received orders from Col. Scribner, who commanded the brigade, to hold the line that night, if possible. He held it till about sundown, while the Union forces were forming a new line in the rear, when the enemy concentrated a heavy force and charged them. They held their ground till the enemy came right in amongst them and captured a large number, the Colonel among the rest; was sent to Richmond, Va., and put in Libby Prison, on the night of the 30th of September, 1863, and was there until the 10th of May following, when he with others, was sent to Macon, Ga.; was there till about the middle of July, when 600 of the officers of the highest rank were selected to be sent to Charleston, S. C. Col. McKercher was of that number to be placed before the fire of our own guns, for the protection of that city. He remained there till the 5th of October. Some time before that date, the yellow fever had broken out among the officers in the prison, and on the above date they were removed to Columbia, at which place he remained until Sherman came through when he, with the others, were sent to Raleigh and from there were sent to Wilmington, N. C. where they were paroled and sent to our lines on March 1, 1865. From Wilmington he went to Annapolis, Md., where he was mustered out on account of expiration of his term of service. Col. McKercher at once tendered his services again to the Governor of Wisconsin, but before taking the field again the rebellion was virtually broken, and he did not leave the State. On his return from the service, he moved to Ripon, and was appointed Postmaster of that city by President Johnson, which position he held for four yearts. He had previously held the position of Clerk of the District Court of Junean County. Col. McKercher has been connected with the municipal government of Peabody nearly constantly since his residence in the city. He is the father of four children, three of whom are living-Sarah (now Mrs. William Holmes, of Chicago), Emma (now Mrs. Lockwood, of Kansas City), Frank B., (agent Atchison Topeka & Santa FeRrailroad at Peabody), Helen (Mrs. William Cole, of Olathe, Kan., died January 1, 1881, aged thirty-six years). Col McKercher is a member of the Halcyon Lodge, No 120, A. F. & A. M. and the G. A. R. of Peabody. He is the present Mayor of the city.
J. HUDSON MORSE, attorney at law, located here in 1877, and engaged also in banking business until 1881, since which time he has devoted himself exclusively to the profession of law. He was born in Leominster, Mass., August 13, 1848; removed to Annapolis, Md., in 1866, where he entered St. John's College, which he left voluntarily because of disagreement with the faculty and some of the students, on a question of political allegiance. In 1867, entered University of Virginia, at Charlottesville, Va., and studied two years and then read law in the office of Hon. Alexander Randall of Annapolis and from his office was admitted to practice before the Circuit Court of Maryland. After two years spent as managing clerk in the law office of Chas. H. Smith & Sons of New York City, he began practice in Brooklyn, N. Y. where he remained until coming West. Was married in 1880, at Peabody, Kan., to Miss Carrie A. Prescott, formerly of Galesburg, Ill. Is a charter member of Peabody Literary Club, auxiliary to the Peabody Public Library and is also a member of K. of H., Peabody Lodge, No. 63.
N. MAYES, photographer, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, December 9, 1857. He afterward removed to Davenport, Iowa, where he learned the photographic business and removed to Topeka, Kan., where he conducted business until the early part of 1883, when he came to Peabody.
GEORGE M. MILLER, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., in 1838. In 1873, he removed to Missouri, engaging in pottery making near Fulton, which he followed for two years, and then came to Peabody. He began farming two miles south of town but discontinued it after one year's trail and engaged in the mercantile business, which he has since followed. He carries a fine stock of general and fancy groceries and canned goods. He was married in Perry County, Penn. in 1865, and he has five children.
A. MILLER, restaurant, came to Marion County in 1872, and located a farm in Summit Township. Subsequently he ran the Stealy House. Was born in Elkhart Co., Ind., December 2, 1837, where he remained until coming to Kansas; August 22, 1862, enlisted in Company D, One Hundred Indiana Volunteers; was assigned to the Fifteenth Army Corps under Gen. Logan; was with his command in twenty-seven engagements and discharged June 8, 1865, at Washington, D. C.; was married June 22, 1858, at Wakarusa, Elkhart Co., Ind., to Miss Maria Solsbury, and has four children -- George, Byron, Charles and Adda.
DR. J. M. MILLER, physician and surgeon, located a soldier's homestead June 27, 1871, on Section 6, Town 22, Range 4, east of sixth principal meridian, in Summit Township and resided there until October, 1881, when he removed to Peabody to resume the practice of medicine. He was born in Lancaster City, Penn., June 27, 1834, and removed with his parents to Perry County, Penn., in 1838 where he attended public school from 1839 to 1847, being usually a term of three months each winter, graduated from Airyview Academy in 1855; in the following year, 1856, began reading medicine with Dr. R. S. Brown, in Newport, Perry Co, Penn.; entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Penn., in 1857, and practiced in the meantime; graduated from that institution in March, 1861; began practice in the village of Marklesville, Penn.; and in August, 1862, was appointed Assistant Surgeon of Volunteers and assigned to duty at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Penn., to take charge of all enlisted men not fully organized into regiments. In October, 1862 he was assigned to duty as Assistant Surgeon to the One Hundred and Seventy-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. He remained with the regiment during its term of service. On the Peninsula in Virginia and in the pursuit of Lee's army after the battle of Gettysburg until the regiment was mustered out at Harrisburg, Penn., August 1, 1863, He located in Newport, Penn., in the spring of 1864, where he practiced medicine for several years, but was obliged to retire from active practice on account of failing health, the result of injuries received in the army. He visited Florida expecting that climate to restore him to health; being disappointed in this he accepted the position of Medical Examiner for the Continental Life Insurance Company, with headquarters at Harrisburg, Penn., in 1870, which place he resigned in a few months and accepted the secretaryship of the Juniata Valley Fire Insurance Company, located at Huntingdon, Penn., where he remained until coming to Kansas. He has been twice married, first to Mary A, Bicelinem, in 1859, who was the mother of five children, only one of whom survives -- George B. His first wife died in 1868 and in 1871 he married Mary E. Long.
GEORGE W. NEAL, of the firm of Neal & Hoover, dealers in hardware, lumber and agricultural implements. The firm carries a stock of about $10,000 and annual sales will reach about $60,000 to $70,000. Mr. Hoover went into the firm January 1, 1883. George W. Neal came to Peabody in 1873 and opened a stock of hardware and lumber, but was out of the lumber business from 1879 to 1881. Mr. Neal was born in Butler County, Penn., August 29, 1839. In 1850, he moved to Sheboygan County, Wis., and resided there until 1868; enlisted in April, 1861, in Company D, Third Infantry; was in the Army of the Potomac in 1863; was in Bank's army at Cedar Mountain, Antietam, Gettysburg, in Chancellorsville, Resaca and Dallas. He was mustered out in August, 1864 at Madison, Wis.; afterward engaged in the lumber business at Mayfield, Grand Traverse, Mich., until coming to Kansas. He was married at Gibbsville, Wis., to Miss Elsie J. Campbell, of New York, and has four children -- Edward, aged sixteen; Mary, who died August 19, 1871, aged nineteen months; Carrie, nine years and Jessie, seven years of age. He was elected Mayor of Peabody in 1880 and has been a member of the City Council two terms.
R. O. NELSON, carpenter, located here in December, 1870 and was among the first settlers of the old town of Coneburg and a member of the Wisconsin-Kansas colony. Mr. Nelson was born in Oneida County, N. Y. October 16, 1833. Learned his trade and removed to Columbia County, Wis., in 1854. In the fall of 1861, enlisted in Company C, Fifty-seventh Illinois, at Chicago; was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and in the engagements at Forts Henry and Donnelson and at Shiloh and Corinth and Sherman's march to the sea; was mustered out December 26, 1864. Was married November 8, 1858, at Fort Winnebago, Columbia Co. Wis., to Miss Amanda M. Kincaid, of Elk County, Penn., and have had four children, two of whom are living-Fannie Adelia, born February 24, 1866; Minnie S. M., born April 6, 1871 -- the first white child born in Peabody Township; Ernest, born April 16, 1860 and died the same day; Ida May, born December 5, 1861, died December 6. Mr. Nelson resided in Adams County, Wis., two years, and was Constable while there; was Township Clerk of Winnebago Township, Columbia County, two years; was elected Township Trustee of Peabody Township, Kan., in 1876, and has held the position since. He is a member of Covenant Lodge, No. 113, I. O. O. F., and Peabody Encampment, No. 43. Is also a member of the G. A. R.
DAVID D. PERRY, farmer and stock-raiser; has 160 acres on Section 5, Township 22, Range 3 east, one mile northwest of Peabody, all under cultivation and fenced with hedge, stone house two stories, main part sixteen feet square, ell 14x24; contains four rooms and cost $1,200; frame barn with basement 22x46; has five acres of walnut and cottonwood trees, planted in 1874; five acres of bearing orchard and one acre of grapes; has twelve head of Jersey cattle and fifteen head Durham; breeder of Poland China hogs and fifteen head of horses. Came to Butler County, Kan., in 1871, locating near El Dorado; resided there two years and then came to this county; was born in Morrow County, Ohio, July 4, 1844. When twelve years of age, moved to Hillsdale County, Mich., and remained until 1862 when he enlisted in Company A, Eighteenth Michigan; was with his command at Franklin, Decatur, Danville, Nashville, and other engagements and was mustered out June 26, 1865; then settled in Fayette County, Ill., and resided there until coming to Kansas. Has been twice married -- first in 1867, in Van Buren County, Mich., to Miss Martha Perry, and has one son living -- Clarence H. Mrs. Perry died in April, 1872, and he was married again at Peabody, Kan., August 5, 1873 to Mrs. Minerva Stephens, of Michigan. He is director and stockholder of Marion County Agricultural Society; a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the A. L. of H., No. 36, and G. A. R.
COL. BERTINE PINKNEY, Postmaster, was born in New York City, April 26, 1824; his father's name was William H. Pinkney and his mother's Hannah Bertine Pinkney. In 1847 he removed to Rosendale, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., where he resided until coming to Kansas. In 1861 he enlisted in the Third Wisconsin Volunteers and was elected Major of that regiment; was assigned to the Army of the Potomac under Gen. Banks. He participated in the Shenandoah campaign and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. In 1863, was made Colonel of the Twentieth Wisconsin Volunteers and was ordered to the frontier under Gens. Curtis and Schofield; was soon afterwards afflicted with a stroke of paralysis; and in 1864 resigned and returned to Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming. He was honored by his fellow citizens with one term in the House and two terms in the Senate of Wisconsin; was a candidate for Lieutenant Governor on the first ticket put in nomination by the Republican Party of that State in 1853. Col. P. was married at Ithaca, N. Y. in 1851, to Miss Louisa Frear, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. and has two children living -- Bertine, now a publisher of Minneapolis, Minn.; Charles C. of Durango, Colo.; William H., a law student, died April 14, 1883, aged twenty-three years and two months; he had graduated from the Kansas State University in 1882 and was a student of Albany Law School when taken sick. Col. P. located in Peabody in 1871 and in 1875 was elected to the Legislature; was appointed Postmaster in 1877. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and of Newton Chapter.
THOMAS M. POTTER, stock-dealer, located on south half of Section 3, Township 22, Range 3, adjoining Peabody on the east. His farm consists of nine tracts; the home tract embraces sixteen acres, which is ornamented with fruit and ornamental trees; the orchard includes some 2,500 fruit trees of the varieties best adapted to the climate of Kansas. Mr. Potter's residence is a handsome structure finished in the best style of architectural art. It has three fronts, north, south and west; the main part is 16 x 32 feet with an ell 16 x22, and another, also, 12 x 32. There are verandas and bay windows on the west and south. It was built in 1877, at a cost of $5,000. Mr. Potter is extensively engaged in the stock business; he feeds here usually 300 head and besides has a half interest in 1,750 head of cattle, located on a ranch twenty-five miles south of Medicine Lodge, Kan. He was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., April 16, 1840, and graduated from the Michigan State University, classical course in the class of 1867; came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, and for two years taught the school at Marion; came to Peabody in 1875; was married in 1868, at Richmond, Ind., to Miss Mary C. Pedrick and has three children -- Dwight, Fred and Susie. Mr. Potter owned the tract of land on which the town of Peabody is now located and organized a town company in 1874 and has been the President of the company most of the time since. He left college to enlist in Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois, and served from 1864 until expiration of term of enlistment, the close of the war.
O. J. ROBERTS, dealer in general merchandise, located here in 1872; began business December 2, 1880; carries a stock of $6,000 and trade will reach $12,000; was born in Cornwall, England, November 18, 1855. Came to the United States in March, 1872; clerked and worked at the carpenter trade. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
JOSHUA SAUSSER, harness-maker, residence one mile from Peabody, located here in 1875, and opened a shop, which he ran until 1881, when he sold out to A. F. Sausser. Was born near Reading, Berks Co., Penn., March 22, 1824. When seventeen years of age moved to Lebanon, and there learned his trade; went to Millersburg and worked there three years. In 1845, moved to Stark County, Ohio, and from thence moved to Steubenville; was married in 1848 to Miss Elizabeth Asdill, of Cadiz, Ohio. In 1850, moved to Paris, Washington Co., Penn., and opened a shop; remained there two years and moved to Carrollton, Ind., and was in business three years; from there removed to Leavenworth, Ind., and remained two years; and from thence to Monmouth, Ill.; moved to Galva in 1862 and enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois; was in the harness department of the Army of the Tennessee at Knoxville, sixteen months; was afterward in the battles of Franklin, and Nashville; was mustered out July 4, 1865; returned to Galva, and remained in business until he came to Kansas and located in Oskaloosa and remained five years, from thence to Florence and El Dorado and from thence to this place. Has four children alive -- Ida E., Frank, Clara N., and Gala E. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Legion of Honor and G. A. R.
D. SEVERY, real estate, loan and collection business; began business here in 1880; was born in Niagara County, N. Y., August 1, 1826. In 1832, moved to St. Joe County, Mich., where he engaged in farming; was married there in 1850 to Miss Hannah E. Chase of New York; enlisted in the United States Navy in August, 1864 at New York on board the United States steamer Nyac; was in the bombardment of Forts Fisher and Taswell; removed to Kansas in 1870 and located a farm on the Marais Des Cygnes River, in Osage County; remained there two years and moved to Butler County, purchasing a farm four miles west of Augusta, on the Wichita road; farmed there five years and in 1879 removed to Emporia, where he resided until coming to Peabody; is a member of I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.
DR. C. J. SEYBOLD, druggist, was born in Chicago, Ill., March 5, 1848; began reading medicine in 1868, with Dr. A. L. Clark, and attended Bennett Medical college, in 1876. Came direct to Peabody and practiced his profession until 1878; was married at Elmhurst, near Chicago, in 1875, to Miss Amelia M. Wakeman, and has one child-Blanche L. Dr. Seybold commenced the drug trade in 1878; his handsome stone building was erected in 1879; it is 25 x 55 feet, two stories, and cost $3,200 and he carries a stock of $6,000 and trade will average $12,000 per annum.
HENRY SHOMBER, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to the state in 1874, and located on a farm ten miles north of Peabody, where he remained six months; then moved to the town; graduated from the American Medical college, St. Louis, Mo., in January 1883; was born in Sommerset County, Penn., July 15, 11849; remained there until fifteen years of age, then moved to Miami County, Ohio, and remained there seven years, engaged in farming and then moved to Elkhart County, Ind., where he remained until coming to Kansas; was married December 17, 1871, in Elkhart County, Ind., to Miss Mary Wise, of Miami County, Ohio. Dr. Shomber read medicine with Dr. Grinnell, of Peabody. He owns 160 acres of land four miles northwest of Peabody.
SHUPE & TRESSLER, proprietors of the Peabody Bank; the bank was established in 1879 by Saulsbury, Messrs. Shupe and Tressler bought out Morse & Weidlein, successors to Saulsbury, June 20, 1882. They have paid a capital of $20,000 and real estate interest of a like amount. George W. Shupe began the real estate business in Peabody in 1879; he was born at Mendon, Adams Co., Ill., December 25, 1854; when eighteen years of age, he began a course of study in Knox College, at Galesburg, Ill., and graduated with the honors of his class in 1880. June 27 of that year, he was married at his home in Mendon, to Miss Sadie E. Chittenden, of that place. They have one child -- Pearl L. born August 12, 1881. Mr. Shupe was appointed City Treasurer of Peabody, May 5, 1883; he is a member and Elder of the Presbyterian Church and Superintendent of the Sabbath school, is also a member of the Peabody Literary Club. The firm are extensively engaged in real estate, loans and since commencing business have placed over half a million dollars out, of which May 1, 1883 there was not a dollar delinquent interest due.
C. A. SINEX, was born in Richmond, Wayne Co., Ind., in 1844. In 1867, he came to Kansas, locating at Leavenworth, where he remained five years, working at the blacksmith trade. In 1872, he came to Marion County, took a homestead seven miles east of Peabody, and farmed until "grasshopper year," and then came to Peabody, and has since worked at his trade. He served two years in the army, being in the Atlanta and at the Hood-Nashville campaigns; was married in Leavenworth, Kan., February 9, 1871, to Miss Starbuck, by whom he has had three children.
CHESTER SMITH, located a farm on Sections 20 and 23, in Marion County in 1871; remained there until 1876, and bought on Section 8, one mile west of town, and resided there until March 20, 1882, and then opened a bakery and restaurant July 3, 1882, corner of Main and Walnut streets; May 15, 1883, he sold his stock of goods to Wilson Bros. Was born in Portage County, Ohio, November 16, 1747 and resided there until coming to Kansas.
W. W. SPAWR, nurseryman, came to Labette County, Kansas in 1880 and engaged in nursery business until coming to Peabody, in 1883; was born in Franklin County, Ill., January 5, 1846; remained there until eighteen and removed to McLean County and remained there about twelve years; then removed to Shelby County and remained until coming to Kansas; enlisted in July, 1862 in Seventy-first Illinois, in three months service. At the end of his term of enlistment re-enlisted in One Hundred and Fifty-second Illinois Infantry, served one year; was married February 3, 1869, at Lexington, Ill. to Miss Mary E. Bowers, of that place and has three children -- Edgar, Elmer, Nelly May and Alena Maud.
AMOS STEALY, proprietor of Stealy House, came to Peabody, April 29, 1874; clerked for Mr. Brewer about two and a half years, then went to Dodge City, where he engaged in stock business for some time; then went into Pan Handle, in Texas, September 20, 1876, and engaged in a buffalo hunt for six months, and the party killed 1, 700 head and cured 85,000 lbs. of meat, which was taken to Kansas City and disposed of, but did not prove a profitable investment. Mr. Stealy returned to Peabody and engaged in various vocations and bought the present hotel property in February, 1882. The house is well located and does a thriving business. Mr. Stealy was born in Richland County, Ohio, near Mansfield, August 27, 1843; emigrated to Elkhart, Ind., in 1851. In 1861, enlisted in Company E, Thirtieth Indiana Infantry; was with his command at Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and was mustered out September 24, 1861; re-enlisted November 17, 1864 in Company I, Twenty-sixth Indiana and was at the capture of Mobile and adjacent forts; was mustered out in November, 1865; returned to Elkhart County, Ind., and engaged in real estate business; was married April 5, 1874, at Wakarusa, Ind., to Miss Katharine Seitz, of Pennsylvania, and has three children -- Asa, Haldane and Albert Leroy. Is a member of G. A. R.
JAMES STEWART came here in April, 1871; was born in Blair County, Penn., March 25, 1835. In 1857 moved to Dixon, Ill.; there worked at his trade, that of a carpenter, until coming to Kansas; was married there March 5, 1863 to Miss M. F. Burket; they have one child -- Charles E. Is P. M. of Halcyon Lodge, No. 120, A. F. & A. M. and Newton Commander and Chapter.
B. D. STERLING, of the firm of W. A. Sterling & Bro., grain and coal dealers, was born in Orleans County, N. Y. in 18255. At the age of twenty, he began teaching school, at which he continued until thirty years of age, when he went to Iowa; from there he went to California in 1855, remaining fourteen years, engaged in mining; returning to St. Louis, he was eight years in the real estate title business; then he went to Colorado and Arizona, spending three years at mining, after which he came to Peabody, associating himself with his brother in the grain and coal business. He was married in St. Louis, in 1881, to Miss Jones, of that city. The firm handled during the season of 1882-83, over one hundred thousand bushels of grain.
E. H. UMSTED, manufacturer of and dealer in harness and saddles, Peabody, Kan., located here in 1879 and worked for J. Sausser in the year 1878; commenced business for himself in October, 1880. Carries a stock of $700 and average trade will reach $6,000 per annum. Keeps two men employed. Was born in Seneca county, Ohio, October 23, 1857. Moved to Huron County, when about seven, and remained there until coming to Kansas with his parents.
REV E. D. WALKER, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, was born in Warren County, Ohio, October 8, 1847. When sixteen years old, went to live with his uncle, Thomas D. Walker, in the same county, where he remained until 1869. He then spent four years as a student at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio; then entered Wooster University, from which institution he graduated in June, 1874. he then entered Lane Theological Seminary where he spent three years in the study of theology. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Cincinnati in April, 1876. He came to Peabody, Kansas, June 1, 1877, and immediately took charge of the Presbyterian Church. He was ordained to the full ministry by the Presbytery of Emporia at Osage City, Kan., September 10, 1877. He was married to Miss Martha Wise, of Cincinnati, July 2, 1878, and two children have been born to them -- Mary Margaretta and George Thomas.
REV. HARRISON WAITT was born in Malden, Mass., November 8, 1843. He graduated at the high school of his native town and at the age of twenty-five, came to Kansas and located on a farm near El Dorado, remaining there seven years. In March, 1877 he joined the South Kansas Conference, and entered upon his work in the ministry at Quito, Butler County. After two years there he was transferred to the East Wichita Circuit, remaining there two years, then at Belle Plains. He came to Peabody in March, 1883. Mr. Waitt was married in Shirley, Mass., in February, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Prescott, who died in 1881, leaving two children -- Alice G., aged 15 and Lester M, aged 10. He served in the United States Signal Corps throughout the war, is a member of several secret societies and an earnest active worker in the cause of Christianity.
PIRL T. WARD came to Kansas in 1871, from Madison County, Ohio, where he was born, November 6, 1854. His father J. E. Ward, was a merchant of Amity, that county. On coming to Kansas, Mr. Ward first located on a farm five miles from Peabody and remained there until the spring of 1883, at which time he moved to the town and bought out stock of groceries and general merchandise, and still continues in the same business. He was married in Peabody, in 1878, to Miss Emma Thomas. Has two children -- Pirl A., aged four and John E., aged two years. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a member and Warden of the American Legion of Honor.
WILSON BROTHERS, bakery and lunch room. Carry a stock of $400 and trade will reach $3,000. G. C. Wilson was born February 13, 1857 and S. M. Wilson was born February 27, 1855, in McMahon County, Tenn. They subsequently removed to Mills County, Iowa, and from there came to Kansas in 1878. S. M. Wilson was married, May 3, 1882, at Newton, Kan., to Miss Jennie Mitchell, of New York State.
HENRY E. WOOLHEATER, dealer in cigars, tobacco, and confectionery, came here in 1874 and engaged in teaching and the sewing machine business until 1880, when he went into his present business. He was born in Monroe, Jasper County, Iowa, April 30, 1859. His father, Henry S. Woolheater, was born in Middleton, Delaware County, N. Y., August 13, 1825 and died February 5, 1860. His mother, Rachel Lockwood was born in Andes, Delaware County, N. Y., January 23, 1827, and was educated at Margaretville Seminary, N. Y., and taught in many of the villages of Sullivan and Delaware counties, N. Y., and taught in the Monroe, Iowa, High School. She was married November 19, 1855 and died March 5, 1879 at Peabody, Kan., aged fifty-two years; Edwin, an older brother, was born June 8, 1857 and is a railroad man, being a freight conductor on the A. T.& S. F. R. R. Henry received an education at McDonough Normal and Scientific College, at Macomb, Ill., where the family removed in 1870. He is a member of Covenant Lodge, No. 113, and Peabody Encampment, No. 43, I. O. O. F.; also a member of Newton Lodge, No. 69, K. of P. He has taken some interest in political matters and has devoted considerable attention to newspaper correspondence and is a prominent and influential member of the various secret orders to which he belongs.