|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AUMANN - HOPPER).
JOHN AUMANN, blacksmith, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Prussia in 1843. Came to America in 1857. He began learning the trade of a blacksmith, which he has continued ever since. He came to Marion in 1878, and at once began working his trade. In February, 1867, he married Miss Magdalena Eby of Canada, by whom he has seven children. Mr. Aumann is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a respected and influential citizen.
REV. J. R. BAKER, pastor of the Presbyterian Church came to Marion from Council Grove, Kan., where he had been Principal of the schools of that place during the winter of 1881 and 1882. Was born in Huntingdon County, Penn., July 1, 1849. He began life as a school teacher, teaching children thirteen years in his native State, and having charge for three years of the academy at Shade Gap, Penn. He began studying for the ministry under the care of the Presbytery of Huntingdon, in the spring of 1878. His first charge was three churches, two in Morris County and one in Davis County, Kan., in the summer of 1882, since which time he has been pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Marion. His father, Jacob Baker, was a prosperous farmer of Huntingdon County, Penn., where the subject of this sketch was married May 13, 1873, to Miss Mary E. Grazier. Eight older brothers served in the United States Army during the war of the rebellion.
COL. R. C. BATES, was born in Dauphin County, Penn., October 23, 1822; remained there until about 1853, when he went to Philadelphia; worked on the canal and railroad as State agent for the State. Gov. Bigler appointed him aid-de-camp, with the rank of Colonel. Remained there until June, 1861, and went to Washington City, where he remained during the war in the Quartermaster's Department. At the threatened invasion of Washington took command of a company of colored troops; finally helped to organize a regiment and was appointed Major, commanding regiment. Continued in the service until the close of the war. Was appointed Superintendent of United States Burial Corps, and established a national cemetery in West Virginia. In January, 1868 was appointed Forage Master in the regular army and reported at Fort Leavenworth and was sent to Fort Harper, Lyon and Hayes. Resigned May 1, 1871, and came to Marion County. Was elected to the Legislature in 1874 on an independent ticket. Was married in 1842, at Philadelphia, Penn., to Miss Maud A. Boner, who died about 1851; had two children -- William G. and Katie. He married again, in 1852, to Miss Leah Gilbert. Is G. C. of I. O. O. F., Grand Lodge, member of the state and county Grange and G. A. R.
WILLIAM M. BENWARD, proprietor of Marion Bakery, was born in Warren county, N. J., January 7, 1850. In 1865, he left there and went to Clinton, DeWitt Co, Ill., where he worked on a farm for six years and four months, and then returned to New Jersey, coming to Marion, Marion Co., Kan., in 1878. Worked in the stone quarry for two years. Becoming tired of that business, started his present business, in 1882, which has been a success. Was married at Dover, N. J. in 1873, to Miss Ellen Eathorne, from England.
WILLIAM H. BILLINGS was born in Broome County, N. Y., September 6, 1812. When above years of age moved with his parents to near Rochester, and where attained his majority. Mr. B., in 1837, emigrated to Ohio, settling in the extreme northwest township of the State, in Williams County, and there built the first cabin in the township, and cleared a farm. He had previously been married in New York, to Miss Angeline Butler. He remained in Williams County about twenty-one years, and during a portion of the time kept a country store. In 1860, he again emigrated westward, and came to the then wilderness of Kansas, locating his claim on Cottonwood Creek, about one mile west of the present town of Marion. He afterward pre-empted the land which he now occupies. He was the first actual white settler in Marion County and built the first cabin. Mr. Billings has experienced all the different phases of Kansas life. In the very outset, he met with many difficulties, which he now recounts to his favored listeners. The beautiful town of Marion is built on his land, and there is no fact in the progress of the town and county with which he is not familiar. Mr. Billings, with his many acquirements, has a natural taste for adorning and beautifying his home and grounds. On every hand are seen evidences of this fact. Flowers of every hue, ornamental and shade trees may be seen. There is, perhaps, no more thrifty orchard in the county than his. Having given the subject of fruit-raising years of study, with years of experience as to the varieties best adapted to Kansas climate, we cannot wonder at his success in this line. Mr. B's first marriage did not prove to be a happy one. He was married to his present wife in 1863. One child resulted from the first marriage -- Chauncy. Mr. B. has held the offices of Justice, Probate Judge, County Commissioner, Register of Deeds and Postmaster of Marion. His home is a model of neatness and comfort, well worthy the occupant -- the pioneer, through whose privations and hardships a happy prosperous community has been founded to honor his memory when he shall have been laid away to rest.
FRANK BOWER, Postmaster, came to the State in 1868, locating here and engaged in mercantile business about four years. Was appointed Postmaster in March, 1870, and has held the position ever since. Was born in Yorkshire, England, January 24, 1842. Came to America with his parents and located in La Grange County, Ind. Left there, at the age of fourteen and went to St. Joseph County. There remained until enlisting in the army, in January, 1862, in Company L, Ninth Michigan Cavalry. Was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, under Burnside, in Tennessee and Kentucky and was in Gen. Kilpatrick's Division in Sherman's Atlanta campaign. Was mustered out in August, 1865. Then returned to Michigan and farmed until coming to Kansas. Was married December 20, 1870, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Caroline Woolpert, of Miami County, Ind., and has one child living -- George B. Was elected Register of Deeds and served one term. Has been Township Treasurer one term. Is a member of Center Lodge, No. 147, A. F. & A. M. K. of H. No. 1,986 and I. O. O. F., No. 104, and Pollock Post, G. A. R.
THOMAS W. BOWN, real estate, loans and collections, was born in Columbus, Ohio, July 9, 1838; removed to Cincinnati, where his youth and boyhood was spent. Learned the trade of decorating and designing with his father and removed to Clark County, Ohio, with his father in 1860. Entered the three months' service, in Company C, Fifth Ohio Infantry, as Orderly Sergeant. At the expiration of his term of service, he returned home and assisted in organizing the Fifty-second Ohio, but was assigned to the Seventy-first Regiment as Captain of Company K. Was in Sherman's division of the Army of the Tennessee and in the battle of Shiloh. Afterward went into the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Regiment, as Major. Was mustered out at Camp Dennison, Ohio, in 1864. Came to Marion County, Kan., in the spring of 1869. Was elected County Clerk the same year, and held the position eight years. Was appointed by Gov. Harvey, in 1871, as member of the Board of Commissioners to audit and settle Indian raid claims; also served on the State Relief Committee, to receive clothing from the Government for those made destitute by grasshoppers. Has held the position of Mayor, and member of the City Council for Marion. Was married in 1874, at Marion, to Miss Belle C. Smith, of Missouri and has three children -- Nellie F., Gertrude B., and Morton. He is a member of Marion Lodge No. 104, I. O. O. F.
SAM BOWN, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio, February 5, 1848. His father was a plumber and tinner by trade. When Mr. B. was quite young, his father moved to Columbus, where he remained some eight years and from thence to Cincinnati where he lived ten years. Removed from there to Clark County and farmed until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating in Marion. For about three years, engaged in farming and stock raising; for the following four years taught school in various districts. Was elected Clerk of Court in 1880 and re-elected in 1882. Was married September 15, 1879 at Marion to Miss Hattie Howard, of Warren County, Ind., who died February 27, 1883. One child survives -- Maud. Mr. B. is a member of Pioneer Lodge, No. 104, I. O. O. F., Marion.
W. W. BREWER, farmer and stock raiser, one mile north of Marion has 411 acres, 300 of which are under cultivation; improvements consist of frame house of seven rooms and cellar, stone barn with capacity for twenty-four horses, crib-room for 3,000 bushels of grain and ten tons of hay; usually feeds 200 head of cattle of high grade; has an orchard of about three acres. Mr. Brewer was born in Marion County, Ga., July 28, 1832, resided there until sixteen years old, and moved to Russell County, Ala.; resided there three years, and moved to Gonzales County, Tex., and after two years, removed to Horton County, Tex., and from thence to Austin County; enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Texas Dismounted Cavalry. He was married in Marion County, Kan., June 6, 1872, to Miss Mary M. Dunham, of Pennsylvania; they have four children -- Vida, George D., William W., and Jennie Corinne. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Center Lodge, No. 147, and K. of L.
JOSEPH BRIGGS, cigars and tobaccos, was born in Lincoln, Logan Co. Ill., October 2, 1856. Came to Marion in 1875, and farmed seven years two miles west; removed to town in January, 1883; was married 1878, in Marion to Miss E. M. Reed, and has one child -- Edith Viola, aged five years; is also engaged in cattle business.
B. F. BROCKETT, Probate Judge, was born in Gallatin County, Ill., August 23, 1818; when an infant, his parents removed to White County, Ill., where he remained until twenty-four years of age; worked on a farm and learned the carpenters trade; he then removed to Memphis, Tenn. He was married in that city in 1850 to Miss Lenora B. Mixon of Bolivar; returned to White County, Ill., the same year and remained until 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Eighty-seventh Illinois Infantry as First Lieutenant. At the end of three months, he was promoted to Captain; went to Memphis and thence to Vicksburg, where he received injuries from which he has never recovered, while in the line of duty in command of a foraging party. He was discharged for age and disability December 15, 1863, at New Iberia, Miss. He returned to Illinois, where he was unfortunate in building a mill, and lost most of his means. In 1866, he removed to Garnett, Kan. In 1873 he removed to Peabody. He was elected Probate Judge in November, 1880. While in Peabody, he held the position of Police Judge and Justice of the Peace. Mrs. B. died in 1860; six children resulted from this marriage, four of whom are still living; John O., the eldest held the position of Principal of Schools at Peabody for some two years prior to his death, which occurred in September, 1877. The four now living are Anna, now Mrs. Dr. Buck, of Peabody; Hettie L., a student of the State Normal, Emporia; Lenora A., now Mrs. Frank Ruland, of Augusta, and William F., of Marion. Judge Brockett was again married at El Dorado, in June, 1875, to Mrs. Sarah A. Keve, and they have one daughter -- Lola May.
SAMUEL F. CARTER, of the firm of M. A. Berkley & Co., dealers in hardware and agricultural implements. Store was opened in 1879, under the firm name of Joseph Berkley & Co, he dying in February, 1883. The firm carry a stock valued at $10,000. In 1882, sales reached $50,000 and the trade of 1883 will be about the same. Mr. Carter was born in Woodford County, Ky., October 27,1850; remained there twenty-one years, learning the carpenter's trade. Came to Kansas in 1871; engaged in contracting and building until 1879; was married in November, 1876, at Marion, Kan., to Miss Linda McMullen, a native of Ohio. Mrs. C. died in August, 1877. Is a member of I. O. O. F., No. 104 and the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. E. COBURN, foreman of the York Nursery Company, Fort Scott, Kan.; came to Kansas in 1876, locating in Ellsworth County; resided there five years, having a mail contract while there, and came to Marion in 1881. Was born in Erie County, Penn., January 12, 1855, from there moved to Winnebago County, Ill., where he resided about two years and attended school at Logansport, Ind.; was married in May, 1879, at Ellsworth, Kan., to Miss Mary S. Roos, of Sweden and have two children living -- Myrtle and Frank.
ANDRUS COMSTOCK, proprietor of the Marion Lime Works, located one mile east of Marion; came to Marion May 13, 1872; was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y. November 27, 1834; resided there until twenty-one; engaged in farming and went to Fond du Lac, Wis., April 1, 1855. He enlisted in Company B, Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteers; was in the Army of the Cumberland and was relieved from field duty at Decatur, Ala. He has been twice married -- first to Miss Ester R. Waite, November 2, 1854 who is now deceased; was married again, July 12, 1868, to Miss Sylvia Gee, at Redding, Iowa, and has four children -- Lillie B., Olie P., Lenora and Archie. He is a member of the K. of L. and Pollock Post, G. A. R.
J. H. COSTELLO, dealer in general merchandise, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland about 1832; removed to Canada when quite young; remained there a few years and removed to New York. Enlisted on Governor's Island in 1846 and served in the war with Mexico as a musician; re-enlisted in the Mounted Rifles and served five years. In the winter of 1860, came to Marion County and located a ranch at Lost Springs, on the old Santa Fe trail; suffered some damage by depredation from Indians. Mr. C. relates many thrilling narratives of escape from Indian depredations. In 1865, the Arapahoes, led by Big Mouth, surrounded his ranch, fired his hay stacks and destroyed his grain, and several days elapsed before the siege was raised. One night in April, 1862, Bill Anderson's gang of guerrillas called at his ranch, dismounted and entered. In the crowd, Mr. C. recognized Yeager, who probably saved his life. Another time, a nude woman on horseback came to his ranch, having made her escape from the Indians. Mr. C. was married January 30, 1862, to Miss Abigail A. Wise, who died in 1878; was married to Miss Fannie Patton, of Fulton, Mo., had four children by his first wife -- Addie, John W., Lee and Valley. Mr. Costello opened the second store in Marion in 1867. Has acted as Clerk of District Court, Mayor, Police Judge and Councilman.
HON. RICHARD M. CRANE, banker, was born in the town of Mt. Pleasant, Racine Co., Wis., October 7, 1843; lived there until he was eight years of age, spent one winter at Janesville; afterward his home was Rutland, Dane Co., Wis., until 1871, when he entered the law department of the Wisconsin University (from which he graduated), having pursued literary studies in the same institution and at a date several years prior to that he had attended the Evansville and Union Schools, the latter, conducted by the well known instructor, Prof. Searing, afterward State Superintendent of Public Instruction. After attending these schools, Mr. Crane enlisted March 30, 1862, in Company D., Seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, doing active service until May 25, 1864, when at North Ann River, after five days fighting in the battle of the Wilderness, he was permanently disabled, but was not discharged until May 20, 1865, having participated, however in nearly all important engagements of his command. After his return to Wisconsin and recovering sufficient health to enable him to labor, he worked on the farm for a while and attended Wisconsin University, as before mentioned. After graduating from the law school, he spent one year in the law office of J. H. Carpenter, one of the best lawyers of the State; then for three years he was employed in the pension office at Madison; leaving that position he came to Kansas in August, 1876, locating at Marion Center. After devoting two years almost exclusively to the practice of law, he purchased an interest in the Bank of Marion Center, and became cashier thereof, holding that position until the spring of 1880, when a friend of his from Illinois, Mr. A. W. Brewerton, became associated with him and they purchased the institution at that time changing the name to the Bank of Marion, Crane and Brewerton, proprietors. Mr. Crane continues to transact the legal business of the bank and does some general practice, notably for non-residents, correspondents of the bank, etc. He was elected State Senator in November, 1880, although he has never been an aspirant for political honors; he has made for himself, however, a remarkable record for ability and success as a legislator. He was married at Madison, Wis., August 5, 1873, to Mary Ella Shultz, a native of Indiana. They have two children living -- Richard M., Jr., who was born in Marion, October 28, 1879, and Bertha who was born April 23, 1883, at Marion. Lost one infant son.
WILLIAM H. DUDLEY, Cashier of the Bank of Marion. This bank was incorporated in 1872, with the following officers: N. W. Gordon, President; George M. Knox, Cashier, Capital stock, $50,000. In 1880 the stock was bought up by R. M. Crane and A. W. Brewerton, with William H. Dudley, Cashier. Mr. Dudley located in Marion in 1879 and has been connected with the bank since. He was born in Windsor, Vt., December 1, 1840. When five years of age, his parents moved to Rutland, Wis., where he farmed until twenty-one years of age. Then went to Chicago and engaged in pork-packing three years. Returned to Rutland and engaged in mercantile pursuits, farming and school teaching until coming to Kansas. Was married in 1862, at Rutland to Miss Anna E. Crane and has three children -- Lillian N., Chester A. and Avery. Mr. Dudley owns the bank building, a grain elevator and other valuable city property. Has held the office of Mayor of Marion for three terms, is a member of the Center Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Delta Chapter, No. 19, Marion and Garfield Commander, K. T., No. 18, McPherson, Kan.
E. N. EBY, manufacturer of and dealer in harness and saddles, located here in 1879 opening the first harness shop in the county. Was born in Wells County, Ind., January 28, 1844. Moved to DeWitt County, Ill., in 1855. In 1865 moved to Menard County. Enlisted September 4, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois, under Col. Thomas Snell. Was detailed as a saddler at division headquarters. Was with his command at Nashville, Knoxville, Resaca. Was made Orderly Sergeant and Brevet Second Lieutenant, June 1, 1865. Was mustered out June 21, 1865, at Springfield, Ill. Was married September, 1865, in Menard County, Ill., to Miss Mary E. McAllister, and has three children -- Edward E., Oliver O. and Bertie. Is Police Judge and Justice of the Peace. Is a member of Center Lodge, and Delta Chapter, A. F. & A. M.
THOMAS L. FIFE, Register of deeds, Marion County, Kan., was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., May 28, 1847. When about seven years of age, his parents moved to Johnson County, Iowa. Mr. F. attended the Iowa State University three years, 1868-69-70 and graduated from Peter Duff's Commercial College, Pittsburgh, Penn., in 1866. Came to Marion County, Kan., in 1871, where he engaged in farming near Peabody. He was elected Register of Deeds in 1879. He is a member of Center Lodge, No. 147, A. F. & A. M., Delta Chapter, No. 19, Marion and Garfield Commander, No. 13, McPherson, Kan. He is also a member of Marion Lodge, No. 1,986, K. of H. Mr. F. was married, April 5, 1875, in Branch Township, Marion County, to Miss Rachel Gratton, of Canada.
FRED L. FRAZIER, County Treasurer, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, September 11, 1853. Lived in the city of Portsmouth, Sciota County, until eighteen years of age when in 1871 he came direct with his family to this county where his father owned some 1,100 acres of land. Mr. F. improved a quarter-section of it and resided on it about a year, and has since resided in Marion. Here he was married, in January, 1878, to Miss Mattie E. Jarrett, who died in August of same year. He was appointed County Treasurer, December 25, 1882 to fill the unexpired term of Mr. Howe, now State Treasurer, with whom he served as Deputy for two years. Also served as Deputy Clerk of the District Court for some time.
WILLIAM M. GLOVER, of Glover Bros., painters, blacksmiths and wagon-makers. Mr. Glover was born in Cass County, Ill., March 12, 1850. Resided subsequently in Sangamon, Logan and Champaign Counties, from which latter county he came to Marion County in August, 1879. Started present business in February, 1881, having learned his trade in Illinois. Was married February 10, 1882, at Marion, to Miss Fannie A. King, and they have one child. Is a member and Past Dictator of K. of H.
J. W. HAMMILL, foreman of Marion Marble Works, was born in Geauga County, Ohio, June 18, 1842. Resided there about twenty-five years. Began his trade July 12, 1861, at Fort Wayne, Ind., where he remained three years, and from there went to Armstrong County, Penn., where he remained eight years. In February, 1865, he entered the Philadelphia School of Art graduating in 1869. Is also a graduate of Oberlin Ohio College, in the class of 1857. Was married January 17, 1880, in Butler County, Penn., to Miss Dora C. King. Came to Kansas in December, 1880.
W. H. HAMILTON, County Clerk, was born in Chester, Mass., December 20, 1833. When a child, his parents moved to Macoupin County, Ill., where he remained until grown and was married in 1852 to Miss A. A. Sturges, of Illinois. Came to Marion County in 1872, and located on a farm near Florence, which he still owns, consisting of a half section of improved land. Mr. H. enlisted in Company A, Ninety-seventh Illinois. In 1862, his regiment was assigned to the Tenth Division, Thirteenth Army Corps; participated in the siege of Vicksburg, where he was wounded and discharged September 3, 1863. Returned to Illinois and engaged in farming until he came to Kansas. Has three boys -- William A., James W. and Frederick S. James W. is his father's deputy and the other two are on the farm. Mr. H. was elected County Clerk in 1879, an independent Republican. He is a member of the K. of H., and Pollock Post, G. A. R.
A. L. HANNAFORD, Deputy County Treasurer, was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1865. Came to Kansas in 1876 and located in Marion County. Has been Deputy County Treasurer since Mr. Frazier was appointed to the office.
DR. JOSEPH N. HANNAFORD, physician and surgeon, was born in Devonshire, England, June 22, 1836, emigrated to America in 1844. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he learned the drug business. Began reading medicine in 1868, graduating from Rush Medical College in the class of 1870-71. Practiced his profession in Elkhart, Ind., until 1876, when he came direct to Marion County. Was married in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1859, to Miss Anna M. Gest, of Batavia, Ohio. They have five children living -- Roger G., Anna L., Harrie E., George S., and Herbert W. He is Medical Examiner of K. of H., and United States Medical Examiner. Is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society.
AMERICUS HISE, proprietor of Park Hotel, was born in Mason County, Ky., August 16, 1833. Mr. H. learned the carpenter's trade and resided in Maysville, Ky., until 1869, when he removed to Illinois, residing in Decatur, ten years. He enlisted in Company K, Tenth Kentucky Cavalry, served thirteen months and then enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighty-third Ohio Infantry and served fourteen months. Was in the Nashville campaign and mustered out at the close of the war. Came to Marion in April, 1876, and opened the Park Hotel in October, 1882. Was married in 1853, at Aberdeen, Ohio, to Elizabeth Jones, and they have six children, the youngest of whom is ten years of age and the eldest twenty-eight. Mr. Hise is a member of I. O. G. T.
HON. SAMUEL T. HOWE, State Treasurer, was born in Savannah, Wayne Co., N. Y. July 23, 1848. When four years of age, his parents removed with their family to Toledo, Ohio, where he was reared and educated, and that was his home until he came to Kansas in December, 1868, first locating near Springdale, Leavenworth County, remaining there until September, 1869. He then removed to Topeka, making that city his home until January, 1871, when he located in Marion County. Soon after locating in this county, he was appointed Clerk of Doyle Township. In November, 1871, he was elected Sheriff of the county. He was re-elected in 1873, but in consequence of absence failed to qualify, but was afterward appointed to that position by the Governor and served one year. Then for a period of six years was Clerk of the District Court of his county, during which time he read law in the office of L. F. Keller, Esq., and was admitted to the bar by Hon. Samuel R. Peters, Judge of the Ninth Judicial District. He was then elected and served two years as County Treasurer and had just entered upon the duties of that office for a second term when he was nominated and elected State Treasurer. Mr. Howe was too young to enter the army during the first years of the war but in January, 1865, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served until October, 11865, being detailed as Post Orderly at Huntsville, Ala., most of the time. Prior to his enlistment he had been in civil service for about one year at the southern points where our army was stationed. He is a member of the G. A. R., A. F. & A. M., and K. of H. He was married at Marion, Kan., December 25, 1876, to Clara B. Frazier, a native of Portsmouth, Ohio. They have one child -- Beatrice A.
EVIN HOOPS, contractor in stone work, located on a homestead one mile south of Marion in 1863. Resided there until the spring of 1872, when he removed to Marion and has since been engaged in contracting. Was born in Rockingham County, Va., January 16, 1832. When about five years of age, his parents moved to New Paris, Elkhart Co., Ind., where he remained until coming to Kansas and learned the trade of stone mason. Was married in Elkhart County, Ind., February 2, 1860, to Miss Mary A. Griffith and has six children -- Carrie B., now Mrs. Levi Billings, of Marion; Nettie, Mary, Jennie, Hugh and Bessie. Has served as Register of deeds and Deputy Sheriff. In the fall of 1882 Mr. Hoops paid a visit to California, for the purpose of improving his health and determination is to settle in the Golden State in the near future.
J. T. HOPPER, of the firm of Hopper & Andrews, livery, feed and sale stable, was born in San Antonia, Texas, December 25, 1853. At the age of eight he went with his family to Marshall, Saline Co., Mo., where he lived on his father's farm until he came to Kansas in 1878 and began buying horses and mules in St. Louis, shipping them to Kansas for sale. In October, 1882, he with his present partner, started the livery business at Marion, still continuing the importation of horses and mules. His father is one of the largest stock dealers in Kansas, Mr. Hopper was married in 1872, to Miss Jennie Packwood, of Eureka Springs, Kan. Has one child, Pearl, aged nine.