KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


LINN COUNTY, Part 11

[TOC] [part 10] [Cutler's History]

DEFUNCT TOWNS.

Mansfield was located about four miles northwest of Mound City, and the same distance southwest of Paris, from which latter town a part of the houses were moved, and a portion of the people moved over to the new town of Mansfield. This was in 1860. The Mansfield Town Company was composed of R. B. Mitchell, Pleasant Chitwood and J. H. Barlow. A store was started and kept for a short time by Coleman Brothers, and soon afterward J. W. Hawthorne became Postmaster, and started a small store. The town reached the height of its prosperity in 1867, at which time it contained from twelve to fifteen houses, and about fifty inhabitants. From this time it gradually dwindled away and was abandoned in 1868 or 1869.

Paris was situated about six miles north of Mound City. It was owned by Pro-slavery men, and was a rallying-point, in the early history of the county, for them when making raids on Free-State men. In the early history of the town, a store was kept by Rogers, Badolet & Co., and one by Zadock Lewis. Jesse Brown was Postmaster, and a saw-mill was owned by Gwynn & Bronson. In its palmiest days, Paris contained from 300 to 400 inhabitants. This was about the time of the removal of the county seat from Paris to Mound City. From that time it diminished in size and importance until in 1866 or 1867, it was almost entirely abandoned as a town. The Paris Town Company was incorporated by special act approved February 14, 1857, and consisted of James P. Fox, John H. Tate, I. T. Glover and Luke Grimes. The first Republican Convention held in Linn County convened at Paris March 12, 1859. It was a mass convention, and there were about 150 Republicans. The delegates chosen to go to Osawatomie May 18, when the Republican party of Kansas was organized, were Addison Danford and J. H. Jones.

Moneka was located on Section 1, Township 22, Range 23, one mile north and one-half mile west of Mound City. it was commenced in February, 1857. The Moneka Town Company was composed of the following gentlemen: Augustus Wattles, John O. Wattles, John B. Wood, Andrew Stark, Dr., Gilpatrick, and a few others. The first store started here was kept by O. E. & O. S. Morse; the first hotel by George E. Dennison, and the first tin-shop by F. C. Bacon. The Moneka Academy building was raised July 4, but was not enclosed until March, 1858. In April, Miss Sarah A. Wattles, daughter of August Wattles, commenced the first term of school in the town. William Hobson built a saw-mill on Little Sugar Creek, the first saw-mill in Linn County. Soon after starting it, he attached a corn-cracker to it. In 1858, Moneka contained a population of nearly 200 people, but from this time it dwindled away until in the fall of 1859 all the inhabitants had gone to other localities. The business men moved mainly to Mound City. The academy building was moved to Linnville, where it remained until 1871, when it was removed to Pleasanton.

Brooklin was situated seven miles northwest of the present site of Barnard. In the fall of 1855, E. O. Brooks & Co. built some cabins here, and started a store. At the suggestion of David Sibbett, Mr. Brooks' name and Linn, the name of the county were united so as to the (sic) form the name Brooklin, for the name of the town. At this time, there was no bridge across the Marais des Cygnes, near which river Brooklin was located. So the settlers cut down a very large tree and fashioned it into a canoe for the purpose of transporting their goods across the river to the new town. Among these goods were two barrels of whisky, which cost exactly the same price; but upon their arrival at Brooklin, one was found to be of "a little better brand" than the other, and hence was sold at 30 cents per gallon, while the "inferior brand" was sold for 25 cents.

In the spring of 1856, David Sibbett, being a frail young man, opened a school, but it was soon broken up and scattered, as were also most of the people of Brooklin, by the report that John Brown, who had just committed the Pottawatomie massacre, Jim Lane and others were coming in that direction, and killing all the Pro-slavery men before them. Mr. Brooks hastened to Missouri with his stock of goods. Shortly afterward, when quiet had been restored, and it had been discovered that the report was false, David Sibbett and Z. W. Leasure bought the goods, brought them back to Brooklin, re-opened the store, and for a considerable time carried on a flourishing business. David Sibbett was appointed Postmaster, and continued to hold the office until 1870, soon after which time the town was abandoned, a part of the people removing to Barnard, part to La Cygne, and some to other places. At the present time there are left but two blacksmith shops.

Potosi was situated on Mine Creek, about two miles east of Pleasanton. The original town site consisted of 320 acres. It was laid out in 1856, the original town company being all Pro-slavery men. When the Free-State men gained control of affairs in the county the town site of Potosi passed into other hands, as R. B. Mitchell, John W. Garrett, O. H. Sykes, Lewis Cummings, J. Elsrode, J. W. Babb and others, most of whom were Free-State men. A store was started and kept for a number of years by J. E. Hill. John W. Garrett was Postmaster. Mr. Garrett and O. H. Sykes built a saw mill, commencing it in 1857 and completing it in 1858. At one time, Potosi had six houses in it and about thirty inhabitants. It continued to exist until 1869, when Pleasanton was started, when it was abandoned.

The original Potosi Town Company was incorporated by a special act, approved February 20, 1857, and consisted of James P. Fox, Jesse Davis, Bernard Hogan and John H. Tate.

Twin Springs. - This town was situated in the northern part of the county, near the Miami county line. It was started in 1860 or 1861, in which year a store was opened. Mr. Trovinger was first Postmaster, and occupied a store built in 1861 by Lafayette Dunbar. A store was started in 1862 by Cady & Lane. Some time afterward, Bona Dale started a drug store, Mr. Whittacre a dry goods and grocery store, and Mr. Jamison a furniture store. When the prosperity of the town was at its height, there were about 300 inhabitants in it, and, besides its other business, two hotels. Barlow & Sanderson ran a stage line through it between Kansas City and Scott, some of the time running six stages each day. A Methodist church was erected there, which is now one of the best schoolhouses in the county. During a portion of the time, Cady & Lane did a business of $37,000 annually, there being two other stores there at the time; but when the railroad was built and La Cygne started Twin Springs was abandoned, and its inhabitants and businessmen divided themselves up among other towns; some going to the then new town of Fontana, in Miami County, others to La Cygne, and still others to Fort Scott.

Jackson was the first post office established in Liberty Township, and Isaiah Jackson was the first Postmaster appointed, but, on account of his finding it necessary to leave the Territory, the papers were returned to Washington and the name of D. Underhill, Sr., substituted. This was in November, 1857. D. Underhill, Jr., became Postmaster in 1860, and was succeeded by A. G. Seaman in 1866. The post office was discontinued in 1872.

PARIS TOWNSHIP.

J. Q. ADAMS, farmer and breeder of Short-horn cattle, Section 28, Town 21, Range 23, P. O. Mound City, was born in Boston, Mass., March 9, 1830. When young, he was taken by his parents to Coshocton County, Ohio, where he was raised and educated, and in 1848 he engaged in teaching school, which he pursued until 1852, when he located in Decatur County, Ind., and engaged in teaching until 1859, when he came to Kansas and located in Blue Mound Township, Linn county. In 1866, he settled in Paris Township, on his present place of 740 acres. In 1861, he was appointed County Superintendent, and in 1862 was elected to that position and served two terms. He was married in Decatur County, Ind., January 22, 1856, to Sarah J. Wilson, of Greensburg, Ind. They have nine children - John Q., Ida B., Maro M., Eddie J., Ira G., Daisy, Bruce B., Don L. and Myrte M.

J. C. ANDERSON, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., May 29, 1827, where he was reared until 1836, when he removed with parents to Kalamazoo County, Mich., where he received his education. Soon after he learned the carpenter's trade, which he pursued for some time. He then turned his attention to farming, following that occupation until 1857, when he emigrated to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 160 acres. In 1858, he was elected County Commissioner, serving two terms. He was married in Kalamazoo County, Mich., January 30, 1847, to Charlotte S. Smith, of Ohio. She was born October 17, 1827. They have five children - Ida S., Mary E., Charles H., John C. and Robert H.

THOMAS BETTES, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in Independence County, Ark., June 6, 1835, where he was reared and educated, after which he engaged in planting, which he pursued for twenty years. In 1861, he came to Kansas, and first located in Bourbon County, where he farmed for one year. He then removed to Linn County, and in 1863 enlisted in Company K, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Infantry, and was wounded at Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., March 30, 1864. He was discharged in 1865. He then returned to Linn County, and located on his present place of 640 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Bettes is at present Justice of the Peace of Paris Township. He was married in Izard County, Ark., January 3, 1860, to Mary C. Ball, of Tennessee.

J. C. BROADHEAD, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Mound City, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., April 29, 1837, where he was reared until the age of sixteen, when he removed to Eire County, Penn., and completed his studies at Concord in 1854. He then moved to Clark County, Wis., where he spent three years in the lumber trade, when he returned to his native State, remained a short time, and then came to Kansas and located in Linn County, and followed farming until 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Second Kansas Infantry, and re-enlisted in 1862 in Company K, Twelfth Kansas Infantry, and was discharged July 25, 1865. In 1866, he located on his present place of 360 acres. He was married in Linn County, Kan., August 11, 1867, to Susan White, of Illinois. They have five children - Eva, Mattie E., James R., Frederick C. and Edna M.

HENRY CARBON, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Mound City, was born in Fort Plain, Montgomery co., H. Y., July 11, 1839, where he was reared and educated, after which he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He pursued this occupation until 1857, when he emigrated to Kansas, and located in Linn county on his present place of 160 acres. In 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Fifth Regiment Kansas Cavalry. He was captured in Arkansas and imprisoned at Tyler, Tex., where he remained until the close of the war. He then returned to Linn County, where he has since been engaged in farming. He was married in Linn County, Kan., June 13, 1881, to Kate Kane, of Boston, Mass. He has four children - Charles A., Lillie H., Cora and George H. Mr. Carbon is a member of the Republican party.

P. CHITWOOD, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Mound City, was born in Macon County, Tenn., February 22, 1827, where he was raised and educated, after which he moved to Mississippi, where he was employed as hotel clerk for some time. In 1848, he emigrated to Boone County, Iowa, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1852, when he was elected Sheriff of Boone county. During his term of office he read law, and was admitted to the bar at Boonsboro, Iowa, in 1856, and in 1857 came to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 800 acres of land. He was married in Macon County, Tenn., May 10, 1848, to Miss Mary Whitley, a native of Smith County, Tenn. They have four children - Joel, Alexander, William and Kate.

N. J. COPPLE, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Grange, was born in Polk County, Mo., February 18, 1852. In 1856, he removed with his parents to Linn County, Kan., where he was raised and educated. After completing his studies he located on a farm, and now he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1882, he located a general merchandise store on his present place, known ad the Grange post office. His estate, in connection with the store, consists of 200 acres of fine farming land. He was married in Linn County, Kan., November 21, 1873, to Miss Elizabeth Woody, of Missouri. They have three children - Philip C., Jennie K. and Charley D.

ENOCH ESTEP, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Menard County, Ill., May 5, 1825, where he was raised until the age of fourteen years, when he removed with his parents to Jasper County, Mo.; was there raised and educated; after which he located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until 1855, when he emigrated to Kansas and settled in Linn county, being one of the first settlers of the county. In 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Kansas Cavalry; was discharged in 1863. In 1866, he served as Deputy Sheriff, and in 1868 was appointed Deputy County Treasurer, and held the appointment until the expiration of the term. Married in Jasper County, Mo., May 21, 1846, Lavina Barrick, of Illinois. She was born September 18, 1823, and died January 23, 1873. Has six children - William G., Martha E., Albert E., Mary A., Henry T. and Myra.

MRS. F. J. HOLT, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in Lawrence County, Ind., March 7, 1830. When young she was taken by her parents to Clark County, Ill., where she was raised and educated. She was married in Clark County, Ill., January 24, 1850, to George W. Holt, of Ohio. In 1855, she emigrated to Kansas, and located in Linn County on her present place of 180 acres, where she is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Holt died in Linn County, Kan., in 1879, leaving a family of five children - Christopher C., Esther A., Martha A., Frances J. and Jonah T.

THEA HOOVER, miller, was born in Germany, November 18, 1818. When young, he removed with his parents to America and located at Cincinnati, Ohio, where his time was occupied in various pursuits until 1835, when he located in Indianapolis and engaged in milling, which he followed until 1850, when his time was engaged in the same business at various points in Indiana and Illinois until 1865, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, and engaged in milling at Trading Post. In 1866, he removed to Mound City, and remained three years, engaged in milling, and in 1871 located at Farlinville and erected the Farlinville mills, a frame building 46x30, two stories, and propelled by steam. Its capacity is 100 barrels per day. He was married in Linn County, Kan., in 1876, to Eliza B. Elderidge, of Ohio.

WILLIAM LOCKWOOD, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Mound City, born in Washington County, Ind., October 15, 1838, where he was raised until the age of twelve years, when he removed with parents to New Albany, Ind., where he received a liberal education. Soon after learned the trade of tanner, and in 1856 became the proprietor of a tanning establishment at New Albany, where he was engaged until 1870. He served three years in the late rebellion in Company E, Fifth Regiment Indiana Cavalry. In 1870, came to Kansas and located in Linn County, on his present estate of 160 acres. Married at New Albany, Ind., October 6, 1858, Miss Margaret A. Shaw, of Indiana. They have six children - Luella, May, Mattie H., Corenne, Elizabeth and Howard.

S. MASON, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Mound City, born in Preble County, Ohio, August 25, 1820, there raised and educated. In 1839, removed to McLean County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1855, when he came to Kansas, and located in Linn County, on a farm near Mound City. His estate consists of 520 acres of land. He has been twice married, first in McLean County, Ill., June 17, 1841, to Mary Hindshaw, of Tennessee. She died in Linn County, Kan., in 1878, leaving four children - Theophilus, Susanna, Rhoda E. and John W. He was married the second time in Neosho County, Kan., October 23, 1879, to Mrs. Mary J. Madison, of Tennessee. Mr. M. is a Republican.

O. E. MORSE, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Mound City, born in Huron County, Ohio, March 27, 1837, was reared and educated in his native State. In 1857, he came to Kansas and located at Moneka, Linn County, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1861, when he enlisted in Company D, Fifth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and served until September, 1864, when he located at Mound City and engaged in the furniture trade, which he pursued until 1873, when he was appointed Deputy County Treasurer. In 1874, he settled on his present place of 240 acres, where he is engaged in farming and breeding fine stock. He represented his district in the Legislature in 1875-76. In 1878, was appointed Commissioner to select school lands. Married in Livingston County, N. Y., October, 1864, to Emma Wattles, of Ohio. They have six children - Wilton L., John O., Theodore W., Stuart T., Orlin R. and Eleanor E.

W. H. MURRY, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Lafayette County, Ind., August 14, 1832. When young was taken by his parents to Knox County, Ill., where he remained three years. In 1837, his father removed to Polk County, Mo., and W. H. was there raised and educated, after which he engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he followed for some time. In 1854, he emigrated to Kansas, and located in Linn County, on his present place of 706 acres, where he is largely engaged in farming and stock-raising. Was married in Linn County, Kan., January 18, 1857, to Deantha A. Rowe, of Missouri. They have nine children - Mary L., Charles H., Sarah E., Minerva J., George, William, Henry, Myrtle and Katie.

SCOTT TOWNSHIP.

JAMES J. CLANCY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. La Cygne, was born in Franklin, Venango Co., Penn., January 23, 1831; was raised in his native State, after which he learned the carpenter's trade, which occupation he followed in his native State and in Ohio until 1857, when he removed to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, working at his trade two years. He immigrated to Colorado, where he engaged in mining during the summer. In the following fall came to Kansas and remained at Valley Falls until the spring, when he returned to Colorado and remained there some time. He went to Arizona and New Mexico, where he remained six months. He then returned to Valley Falls, Kan., where he worked at his trade until 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Infantry, as a private, soon after promoted to Second Lieutenant, which position he held until the close of the war, after which he located at Fort Ellsworth, Kan., and engaged in mercantile pursuits for one year. He then settled at Valley Falls, Kan., and followed his trade until 1872, when he came to Linn County and located on his present place. He was married at Valley Falls, Kan., May 27, 1869, to Miss Loretta Divelbiss, of Illinois. They have four children - Emma E., Alvia A., Myrtle E. and Clara Maud.

M. ELLSWORTH, farmer, Section 27, P. O. La Cygne, was born in Clarke County, Ohio July 11, 1814. Was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located near Dayton, Ohio, where he learned the cabinet trade. He then removed to Sidney, Shelby County, Ohio, where he pursued his occupation until the fall of 1837, when he located at Mechanicsburg, Sangamon County, Ill. He worked at his trade four or five years, when he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed for two years; he then moved to De Witt County, Ill., where he farmed, and at odd times worked at his trade until 1866, when he came to Linn County, Kan., and located on his present place of 220 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married in Shelby County, Ohio, April 25, 1835, to Miss Elizabeth Kizer, of Ohio. They had three children - Rhoda, William I. and Mehitable A. His wife died November 17, 1849, and December 19, 1850, he married Miss Rhoda Ely, and they have five children - John L., Aretas L., Wiloughby A., Albert T., Ely W. Mr. Ellsworth is a Republican.

M. E. WOODFORD, farmer, Section 36, P. O. La Cygne, born in Utica, N. Y., June 18, 1829. when young was taken by parents to Lucas County, Ohio, and there raised and educated. Soon after engaged in farming, which he followed until 1853, when he emigrated to California, when he mined for two years. He then returned to Ohio, and in 1858 removed to California, when he engaged in mining with satisfactory results for one year, when he located in Fulton County, Ohio, where he remained until 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Sixty-seventh Regiment Ohio Infantry, as a private. Afterward promoted to Second Lieutenant, where he served until discharged by reason of disability. In 1866, moved to Westport, Jackson County, Mo., where he was dealing in live stock until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County. In 1874, was elected County Commissioner, and re-elected in 1878, acting both terms as Chairman of the board. Married in Fulton County, Ohio, June 18, 1850, Almira Blain, of New York. They have two children - Evaline A. and Abigail.

CENTERVILLE TOWNSHIP.

OTHO McMULLEN, carpenter, Section 28, P. O. Wall street, born near Crab Orchard Spring, Ky., November 22, 1813. In 1815, removed with his parents to Dayton, Ohio, where he attended school for two years. In 1822, removed to Richmond, Ind., where he completed his studies, after which he learned the carpenter's trade, which he pursued until 1856, when he located in Marshall County, Ind., and actively engaged in his occupation as a carpenter for thirteen years. In 1869, he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, where he engaged in farming and working at the carpenter's trade at odd times. He was married in Henry County, Ind., January 11, 1834, to Elizabeth Collinsworth, of Ohio. She was born in 1818. They have six children - Hulda, Mary A., John R. Otho H., Henrietta and Nelson.

G. A. MILLSAPS, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Wallstreet, born in Lawrence County, Ind., February 5, 1824; was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located at Leesville, Lawrence County, Ind., where he engaged in the manufacture of wagons, etc., which he pursued until 1854, when he emigrated to Iowa, and helped organize Ringgold County, and locate the public thoroughfares, and was a resident of that county until 1865, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, where he is engaged in agricultural pursuits. Married in Jackson County, Ind., February 29, 1848, Susan A. Ogelsby, of Kentucky. They have five children - Mary C., Arilla J., William C., Nannie E. and James A.

A. W. RASH, physician, Section 18, P. O. Wall street, born in Jackson County, Ala., June 4, 1833. When young was taken by parents to Polk County, Mo., where he attended school for some time, when he removed to Cass County, Mo., where he received the benefit of the public schools until 1854, when he located in Johnson County, Mo., where he completed his education. In 1859, attended Pope's Medical School at St. Louis for one term. He then returned to Johnson County, Mo., and practiced his profession for one year. In 1861, came to Kansas and located in Linn County, where he pursued his profession until 1879, when he attended the Eclectic Medical Institute, at Cincinnati, Ohio. Graduated the same year, and returned to Linn County, where he is actively engaged in the duties of his profession. Married in Linn County, Kan., July 27, 1862, Samira E. Alexander, of Clay County, Ind. They have four children - John L., Nellie A., Horace R. and Walter D.

THOMAS SPROUL, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Wallstreet, born in Ireland, June 15, 1819. In 1829, removed to America with parents, and located at Philadelphia for a short time, then moved to Harrison County, Ohio, where Thomas matured to manhood and was educated. In 1846, emigrated to Wapello County, Iowa, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1857, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, on his present place of 725 acres, located in Centerville Township. Married in Harrison County, Ohio, August, 1843, Elizabeth McDivitt, of Ohio. She died in Linn County, Kan., in 1863. They have five children - John, William B., Mary, Joseph W. and Harriet E. Mr. S. is identified with the Republican party.

STANTON TOWNSHIP.

A. W. BURTON, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Mound City, was born in Manchester, Vt., September 11, 1834, when young removed with parents to Martinsburg, Ohio, where he was reared and educated. In 1851, moved to McLean County, Ill., where he taught school for three years, when he located at Lexington, Ill., and entered mercantile pursuits which he followed until 1858. He then came to Kansas and first located in Bourbon county, where he engaged in farming. In 1862, enlisted in Company H, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Infantry, as a private. Soon after elected First Lieutenant, and afterward promoted Captain; served in that rank until the close of the war, when he returned to Bourbon County; remained there until 1867, when he located in Linn County. His estate consists of 320 acres. Married in Lexington, Ill., November 12, 1857, Sarah H. Hays, of Illinois. They have nine children - Frank E., Horace E., Mary A., Clara T., Harriet M., Sarah S., Bertha G., Nellie and Caroline A.

C. L. COON, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Mound City, born in Luzerne County, Penna., August 8, 1826, where he was reared and educated, after which he engaged in various pursuits until 1855, when he moved to Whiteside County, Ill., where he remained for one year engaged in milling. In 1856, removed to Black Hawk County, Iowa, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for fourteen years. In 1866, he moved to Cole County, Mo., where he pursued his former occupation until 1859, when he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 317 1/2 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Married in Luzerne County, Penn., October 26, 1848, Kizia Vanenam, of Pennsylvania. They have eight children - Charles W., Milton L., Ann M., Sarah J., Martha M., Clara, Isabelle and George P.

ANSEN DOLEN, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Prescott, born in Steuben County, N. Y., November 19, 1827, was reared and educated in his native State. Soon after engaged in farming, which he pursued until 1859, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, on a farm. Followed farming until 1865, when he located on his present place. His estate consists of 880 acres of land. He has been twice married, first on December 11, 1854, to L. J. Vanhousan. She died August 20, 1856. He was married the second time at Plattsburg, N. Y., in February 20, 1860, to Clara Hutchinson, of New York. She was born March 30, 1838. They have four children - Jennie, Warren G., Mary and Charles L.

DANIEL SPEARS, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Mound City, born in Morgan County, Ind., January 10, 1830, where he was raised until twelve years of age, when he removed to Newton County, Mo., with his father, where he finished his education, and soon after engaged in farming, following that occupation until 1861, when he enlisted in Company H., Sixth Regiment Kansas Cavalry. Was discharged in 1863. He then located in Linn County, Kan., where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. Was married in Newton County, Mo., January 12, 1852, to Elender C. May, of Kentucky. They have four children - Andrew, Amy, Martha F. and Paul L. Mr. Spears is a Republican.

[TOC] [part 10] [Cutler's History]