|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This town is on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, seven miles south of Pleasanton. It is on a slightly elevated plateau in the valley of the Little Osage, and surrounded by excellent farming and grazing land. The town was named in honor of C. H. Prescott, who was at the time Auditor and Treasurer of the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad.
The town site was laid out in March, 1870, by Edward Billings, eighty acres of whose farm was a part of it, the remainder, twenty acres, being a part of the farm of W. H. Billings. A. D. Perrin built the first dwelling, a two story frame; the second by William Bower, the third by G. H. B. Hopkins. About the 1st of April, R. Odell started a general store, Dr. Rader a drugstore, and William Bower a blacksmith shop. In May or June, the postoffice was established, William Bower first Postmaster. He has been succeeded by R. Odell and L. H. Lane, the present incumbent. The Methodist Church was organized in 1873, with twelve members, by William Sibley, the first preacher. In 1881, this society erected a very neat frame church building, costing $1,500. The first school was taught in 1873, in a private residence by Miss Jane McCormick. A frame schoolhouse was built in 1876, and in the winter of 1882-83 an elegant and substantial two story brick schoolhouse was erected at a cost, including furniture, of $4,000. The first birth in the town was that of Andrew Bower, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Bower, August 30, 1870; the first marriage, that of M. L. Bowe to Miss Maria M. Ham, October 1, 1873, and the first death that of Willie H., son of Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Perrin, August 23, 1882. The growth of Prescott has been gradual but continuous. it now contains four general stores, one drug store, two hardware stores, one blacksmith and wagon shop, one hotel, one elevator, one grist mill and about 300 inhabitants.
WILLIAM ANTHONY, physician, Section 2, P. O. Prescott, born in Indiana County, Penn., October 13, 1829. In 1848, entered Elder's Ridge Academy, Pennsylvania; remained two years. He then removed to Jacksonville Academy, Penn., where he attended one year, and, in 1851, entered Jefferson College at Cannonsburg, Penn., where he completed his studies, after which he read medicine, and, in 1853, entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, where he remained one term; returned in 1854, and graduated in 1855. He then located at Olathe, Johnson County, Kan., where he practiced for three years. He then purchased a farm near Olathe, where he continued his profession until 1870, when he located in Linn County on his present place of 410 acres, where he is actively engaged in the duties of this profession. Married in Indiana County, Penn., September 20, 1854, Miss Jane D. McHenry, of Pennsylvania. They have two children - Cynthetta and Idilla V.
F. N. BROCK, merchant, born in McLean County, Ill., May 16, 1858, where he lived until nine years of age, when he removed with his parents to Linn County, Kan., and was there raised and educated. In 1879, he located in Prescott, and was employed as a clerk for a short time; in 1882, took a commercial course at Paola, Kan., and, in August, 1882, became a partner in the firm of Brock, Robinson & Co., where he is doing a business of about $15,000 per year.
M. W. EBY, merchant, born in Ross County, Ohio, August 27, 1852; when young, removed with his parents to Stark County, Ill., where he attended school until 1864, when he came to Kansas with his parents and settled in Linn County, after completing his education, he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he pursued for three years and a half. Went to Prescott July 2, 1874, and worked for J. D. Sweet as an apprentice for a year and a half, after which he bought Mr. Sweet's blacksmith tools and carried on the blacksmithing business for two years, and, in 1878, engaged in the lumber, furniture and hardware trade, doing a business of $22,000 per annum. January 1, 1883, he bought Mr. Perrin's interest in the business, and is now alone. Mr. Eby was married in Linn County, Kan., November 27, 1879, to Miss Margaret F. McNabb, of Missouri. They have one child - Oscar W.
FRANK GRAY, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Madison County, Ind., November 18, 1837, was raised and educated in his native State, after which he assisted his father on the farm until 1859, when he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County. In 1862, enlisted in Company K, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Infantry, and was discharged in 1865. He then returned to Linn County and located on his present place of 160 acres, and is engaged in farming. Married in Linn County, Kan., July 7, 1861, Sarah A. Venable, of Texas. She was born February 13, 1838. They have two children - Oliver M. and Ercenus C.
CHARLES HALLER, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Prescott, born in Frederick County, Md., January 14, 1827; was raised and educated in his native State. In 1848, removed to Montgomery County, Ohio, where he was employed in improving public roads, etc., for three years. he then located in Madison County, Ohio, where he followed farming until 1857, when he moved to Cooper County, Mo., where he was employed by the Union Pacific Railroad for a short time. The following fall came to Kansas and located in Bourbon County, where he remained some time engaged in farming. In 1858, settled on his present place near Prescott. His estate consists of 425 acres. In 1861, enlisted in Company G, Seventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry; served through the war. Married twice, first in 1869 to Amanda Osburn, of Indiana. By this union they have one child - William O. Married the second time at Dayton, Ohio, August 13, 1871, Mary A. Woodman, of Ohio.
K. W. HARKNESS, farmer, P. O. Prescott, born in Peoria County, Ill., June 21, 1841, where he was raised and educated. In 1857, he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 1,000 acres, where he is actively engaged in farming ad breeding fine stock. In addition to his present occupation, he owns a half-interest in the new elevator located at Prescott. In 1861, he enlisted in the Eighth Missouri Infantry - served three months. Re-enlisted in 1863 in Company K, Third Regiment Illinois Cavalry; was discharged in 1865. He was married in Peoria County, Ill., December 24, 1865, to Miss Julia F. White, of North Carolina. They have seven children - Lee, Minnie A., Ernest, Isaac, Nettie, Ella, Capitola and Dexter.
DR. L. H. LANE, druggist, born in Turin, Lewis Co., N. Y., April 1, 1830; when; young was taken by his parents to Kendall County, Ill., where he was raised and educated. In 1855, began the study of dentistry at Elgin, Ill., afterward located at Bristol, Ill., where he engaged in the duties of his profession until 1870, when he came to Kansas and located at Prescott, and turned his attention to the drug trade. In 1872, was elected to the Legislature and served one term. He was for five years railroad, freight and ticket agent at Prescott; has served as notary public and held other minor offices. He has been twice married, first in Bristol, Ill., February 23, 1854, to Emily J. Kendrick, of Illinois; she died in September, 1864. By this union he has four children - Edwin C., Charles E., Lyman K. and Francis A. Was married the second time at Topeka, Kan., December 10, 1879, to Rebecca Flower, of Ohio.
JOHN McAULEY, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 4, 1827; when young moved to America with his parents and first located in New York City, where he attended school for two years. His parents then moved to Canada and settled near Toronto, where John completed his course of studies, after which he followed agricultural pursuits for some time, and then returned to New York and located at New York Mills, where he was engaged in the dye works until 1854, when he emigrated to Marquette county, Wis.; farmed until 1859, then came to Kansas and settled in Linn County. His estate consists of 400 acres. Married in Rome, N. Y., August 27, 1848, Rachael Blasier, of New York. They have seven children _ Mary M., Joan, Eugene M., Marion E., Alford B., Mercy M. D. I. R. and Charlie C.
ED. H. MANLOVE, general merchant, born in Schuyler County, Ill., April 25, 1855, where he was raised and educated. In 1873, came to Kansas and located at Cherokee, where he was employed as a clerk for one year, and, in 1874, removed to Prescott, where he engaged in general merchandise under the firm name of Manlove Bros. He married at Marshfield, Mo., October 6, 1880, Miss Capitola Phoenix, of Wisconsin. They have one child - Clyde Edwin. Mr. Manlove is identified with the Republican party.
A. D. PERRIN, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Prescott, was born in Medina County, Ohio, July 2, 1834, where he was raised and educated, and soon after learned the carpenter's trade, which he pursued for some time. In 1855, he removed to Kendall County, Ill., where he was employed as millwright for three years. September, 1858, he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, where he worked at the carpenter's trade nearly three years. In 1861, he enlisted in Company E (Calvary), Third Regiment Kansas Volunteers, as musician. In April, 1862, was transferred with the company to the Fifth Kansas Cavalry as Company D; soon after was commissioned Second Lieutenant, afterward First Lieutenant, which position he held until discharged from service, when he returned to Kendall County, Ill., and followed agricultural pursuits until 1870. He then returned to Linn County, Kan., and located at Prescott and engaged in contracting and building, having built the first dwelling in the city of Prescott. From 1878 to 1883, was engaged in general merchandise at Prescott; selling his interest, he located on his present place. Was married in Kendall County, Ill., January 4, 1865, to Miss Mary A. Lane, of Bristol, Ill. They have one child living - Herbert Lane.
L. R. SELLERS, physician, born in Madison County, Ind., March 11, 1848. Was reared and educated in his native State, after which he was employed as teacher which he pursued for some time. In 1869, came to Kansas and taught school near Mound City for about six years. During his term of teaching he studied medicine, and, in 1875-76, attended the medical lectures at the University of Louisville, Ky., and graduated at the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis in 1877. He then located at Prescott, Kan., where he is actively engaged in the duties of his profession. Married, in Linn County, Kan., December 25, 1878, Miss Alice Goss, of Indiana. They have one child - Pearl.
M. C. STARK, Notary Public, born in Osage County, Mo., March 21, 1837; when young, was taken by his parents to Pike County, Ill., where he was raised and educated, after which he followed farming in Pike and Logan Counties, Ill., until 1871, when he came to Kansas, and first located in Lyon County, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising until 1879, when he located at Prescott, and is engaged in general merchandising, real estate and loan agency. He has an estate of 150 acres, and is also proprietor of a harness and saddler's shop. Served in the late rebellion in Company I, Seventieth Regiment Illinois Infantry as Orderly Sergeant. He has been twice married, first in 1857 to Mary A. Chaney, of Illinois. She died in 1877. By this marriage he has six children - Rebecca G., John L., Thomas Y., Maggie E., Ida A and Mary B. Married, the second time, in Lyon County, Kan., October 6, 1878, Addie J. Soule, of Illinois. They have two children - Addie M. and Pearl.
H. H. WOY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Carroll County, Ohio, November 17, 1840; was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until 1864, when he removed to De Witt County, Ill., where he remained for one year. In 1866, moved to Bates County, Mo., and engaged in farming until 1870. He then removed to Linn County, Kan., and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits for two years. He then located on his present place. He served in Company F, Fifty-seventh Regiment Ohio Infantry in the late war. In 1877, was elected County Commissioner, which position he still holds. Married, in De Witt County, Ill., November 23, 1865, Miss Louisiana Hume, Of Illinois.
This town is situated fourteen and one half miles southwest of Mound City, on the line of the proposed St. Louis & Emporia Railroad. It is on high, almost level prairie, and surrounded by a country well adapted to farming and grazing. The first post office in the vicinity was opened on Blue Mound, and elevation one half mile north of the present town, in the year 1854, John Quincy Adams, the first settler in the township being appointed Postmaster. Some time afterward, it was moved one mile south, and later three miles to the west, where it remained until June 1, 1882, when it was finally moved into the village of Blue Mound by the present Postmaster, George T. Wolf. The elevation, called "Blue Mound," is about fifty feet high, and was so named by John Q. Adams, because from a distance it looks blue; the more moisture there is in the air the bluer it looks. The town was named after the mound, and was located where it is on the assurance of the St. Louis & Emporia Railroad authorities that that road should run near it. The Blue Mound Town Company was organized in April, 1882, and was composed of the following members: Capt. Barnes, President; Nathan Corbin, Secretary; H. A. B. Cook, Treasurer; O. R. Deland, H. M. Brook and Thomas Brook. The town site was surveyed in April, 1882, by Gen. Harrison. The first building on the town site was a store moved from the windmill, three miles southeast, by D. J. & W. S. Alley, May 1, 1882; the second was moved from Wall street, by Innis Bros., and was utilized as a hotel until their new hotel was completed in June; the third building was erected for a shoe shop by T. H. Blise. The blacksmith shop was moved to Blue Mound from the windmill. The first sermon in the town was preached by Rev. Mr. Hinton, a United Brethren minister. The first school was opened October 2, 1882, by Miss M. E. Weatherbie, with thirty scholars. The first birth was that of a son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Stuteville, in August; the first death that of the wife of John Michael, September 29, 1882.
The growth of the town has been phenomenally rapid. On the 1st of May there was but one or two buildings on the town site; on October 1, there were fifty-six, and a population of nearly two hundred, with three general stores, one hardware store, one furniture store, two blacksmith shops, one drugstore, one harness shop, one lumber yard and one hotel. With a prospect of one railroad, possibly two, and a union depot, the people are full of enterprise and hope. Should they get neither, they will, upon a near approach, be a great deal bluer than the Mound looks at a distance. "Cross City" is a possible future town laid out one mile northeast of Blue Mound, as an opposition town to that village. Its fate will be determined by the location of the St. Louis & Emporia Railroad and its station.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - BLUE MOUND TOWNSHIP.
A. A. ALLEN, JR., dentist, born in Jersey County, Ill., July 31, 1852. At the age of seven, removed with parents to Allen County, Kan., when he assisted his father on the farm, and attended the district school. He finished his studies at Geneva Academy, Kansas, in 1872, after which he began the study of dentistry, having located at Osborn City, Kan., in 1870. In 1882, removed to Blue Mound, where he is engaged in the duties of his profession. He was married in Allen County, Kan., October 3, 1873, to Miss Hattie C. Martin, of Illinois. They have two children - Elizabeth M. and Lillie May.
W. P. BARNES, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Blue Mound, born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, July 1, 1837, where he was raised until 1846, when he removed with his parents to Ripley County, Ind., and was there raised and educated, after which he taught school in his native State and Indiana for five years. In 1855, he located in Henderson County, Ill., where he engaged in teaching and farming until 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, Tenth Regiment Illinois Infantry; served three months and re-enlisted in Company C, Ninety-first Regiment Illinois Infantry. He was captured by Gen. John Morgan, in Kentucky, and held a prisoner for a short time. Discharged in 1863, on account of disability. He then returned to Henderson County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1872, when he came to Kansas and located on his present place of 1,700 acres. Mr. Barnes has also a seventh interest in the City of Blue Mound, which was purchased by a stock company. Served in the Legislature in 1876. Married in Henderson County, Ill., October 20, 1856, Maria J. Brook, of Illinois. They have ten children - John A., William L., Isaiah S., Charles T., Rufus A., Esther J., Mare E., Ruth E., Hugh and Rachel A.
A. T. BROOK, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Blue Mound, born in Henderson County, Ill., July 23, 1854. He was raised and educated in his native State, having completed his studies at Monmouth, Ill., in 1875, after which his time was occupied in farming until 1879, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, on his present place of 1,120 acres, where he is actively engaged in farming and stock-raising. In addition to his landed estate, Mr. Brook is a stockholder in the enterprising city of Blue Mound, which consists of one-seventh interest in 300 acres, in town lots. He was married in Burwich, Ill., September 13, 1881, to Miss Clara L. Cable. She was born in Warren County, Ill., in October, 1859. They have one child - Charley F.
J. W. VAN PELT, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Blue Mound, born in Highland County, Ohio, September 21, 1846. When young was taken by parents to Fayette County, Ohio, where he was raised to manhood and educated; after which he engaged in farming and trading in live stock, which he followed until 1877, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County. His present estate consists of eighty acres of land, conveniently located to Blue Mound. Married in Fayette County, Ohio, September 23, 1871, Elvira McClure, of Ohio. She was born in 1845. They have four children - Carrie E., Fred L., Norma and William P.
GEORGE T. WOLFE, merchant, born in Harrison County, Ind., March 30, 1847, where he was raised until the age of nine, when he removed with parents to Vermillion County, Ill., where he matured to manhood and was educated. In 1867, removed to Gayoso, Mo., where he engaged in merchantile (sic) pursuits for four years, and in 1871, located at Point Pleasant, Mo., where he continued merchandising until 1879, when he came to Kansas and located at Garnett, where he was a merchant for one year. In 1880, settled in Linn County on his estate of 400 acres near Blue Mound, where he followed agricultural pursuits until the spring of 1882, when he located at Blue Mound and began anew merchandising. He is also Postmaster. Married at Metropolis City, Massac County, Ill., May 21, 1870, Miss Julia H. Kennedy, of Ohio. They have two children - Fred K. and William.
This town is located on the banks of the Marais des Cygnes, about four miles from the State line, and is one of the oldest settlements in the State. The land where it stands was purchased at an early day of a Frenchman named Jarien, by another Frenchman named Chouteau, the latter carrying on a heavy trade with the Indians; hence this post was called the Chouteau Trading Post. There was no town laid out here until 1865, when the Montgomery Town Company was organized, and the town of Montgomery laid out and platted October 17, that year, just east of the present town site of the trading post; but the town not being a success was finally abandoned. Trading Post is located on Section 5, Township 21, Range 25, and was laid out and platted in March, 1866, by Dr. Massey and George A. Crawford. But everything in this town dates from the Marais des Cygnes massacre. Previously to this time, John F. Campbell was keeping store here. Soon after it, Dr. Massey & White opened a store in a log house near the bridge. A grist-mill was erected in 1857. It has been purchased and much improved by J. & A. Brockett, and is now one of the finest mills in the State. It is two and a half stories high, and has two run of buhrs. There is a saw-mill attached. During most of the year, it is run by water, but during the dry season, in August and September, the motive power is steam. It is not ascertainable who preached the first sermon at the Post, but John R. Williams, a Baptist minister, preached to an outdoor congregation, in August, 1856. There are two church organizations in this vicinity, one Baptist, the other Southern Methodist, both of which use the "Swayback" church, situated three miles north and one mile east of the Trading Post as a house of worship. There is also a United Presbyterian organization, four miles east, known as the State Line Church. The present schoolhouse, a two-story frame, was built by the Masons in 1865, and the lower half sold by them to the district.
The first birth in the vicinity was that of Jasper and Newton Nichols, twins, in 1855; the first marriage that of Samuel Brown to Miss Hobbs, in 1856; and the first death that of Mrs. Bartemas, in 1856.
Blooming Grove Lodge, No. 41, A., F. & A. M. , was organized in 1862, with twelve members. Its charter officers were: A. C. Doud, W. M.; William Goss, S. W.; W. W. Silsby, J. W.; Samuel Brown, Secretary; Jackson Lane, Treasurer. The present membership is fourteen.
Trading Post contains at present three general stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, one agricultural implement dealer, and about 100 inhabitants.
Barnard is the trading post station, and nearly three miles distant toward the northwest. It is situated on "Hensley's Point;" the town-site, eighty acres, was purchased by J. B. Grinnell, of Arthur Barnard. Mr. Grinnell had a survey made, and held a sale of lots in the fall of 1869. The first building erected in the town was built for a store and grocery by John B. Leabo, who was appointed first Postmaster in the same Year. In March, 1870, David Sibbett was appointed Postmaster and has held the office ever since. The first dwelling erected in Barnard was the section house by the railroad company, the next by James Leabo, both in the fall of 1869. The first birth in this part of the county was that of Millie B. Ward, daughter of Sylvester and Nancy Ann Ward, October 11, 1866; the first marriage that of Robert Edwards to Mrs. Mary Bemus in 1871, and the first deaths those of Jacob and Richard Gudgel, father and son, which occurred at almost the same time, in 1872. The first school was taught in John Morrison's house, by William Stark, in the winter of 1869-70. Barnard now contains eight dwellings, and about forty inhabitants.
OTHER VILLAGES AND POSTOFFICES.
Hail Ridge is situated nine miles southwest of Mound City and five miles east of Blue Mound. There is here only a store and post office.
Oakwood is a country post office established in 1858, with John Jones, Postmaster. The post office was frequently moved from one farmhouse to another until 1878, when a grange store was started under the management of W. B. Scott, and the post office was permanently located therein. In addition to the grange store, there is a drug store, blacksmith shop and physician's office.
Woytown is situated on the open prairie, and was named after H. H. Woy, one of the first settlers. The first settlement was made by C. O. Best in the spring of 1881, who was appointed Postmaster in October of that year. The first birth was that of Winfred J. Darley, August 18, 1881. The first store was opened by S. W. Kiser. The town contains about twenty-five inhabitants.
Walnut Grove Post Office was established in 1871, John Brown first Postmaster.
Cadmus Post Office was established in 1877, J. S. Payne being appointed first Postmaster.