|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This is a thriving village of 125 inhabitants, on the main line of the Kansas Pacific. It has several excellent stores, which do a very good business as tributary to the prosperous farming country surrounding it. The site of the village is very beautiful, being at the confluence of the Stranger and Nine-mile creeks with the waters of the Kansas River, better known to inhabitants of that locality as the Kaw. Sherman Township was one of the latest townships of the county to be settled, yet now no farming district therein surpasses it in prosperity.
Lenape. is another railroad station of the county, also on the main line of the Kansas Pacific. It was laid out, as so many other villages on this line, by the Kansas Valley Town Company in 1867, and for a time it seemed to have as good a chance for growth as Linwood, but the position of the latter on the river gave it an advantage that could not be overcome. Lenape now contains about seventy-five inhabitants, and its business importance is but slight and its growth slow.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SHERMAN TOWNSHIP.
JOHN J. BAKER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Tiblow, came to Kansas in the spring of 1868, settled in Sherman Township, and has been engaged in farming ever since. He enlisted in Company E, Nineteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, August, 1862; served two years and ten months, till close of war. Was in all the engagements of his command; was with Sherman during the famous campaign through Georgia to Savannah; was wounded at Peach Creek, Ga., and lay in the hospital three months. Was taken prisoner at Thompson Station, and confined in Libby Prison two months, enduring the indescribable horrors of that slaughter pen until exchanged, after which he continued in the service until the close of the war. He enlisted as Captain, was promoted as Major, and afterward commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel of his regiment. He was born in Toronto, Canada, January 29, 1824, son of Benjamin and Nancy Baker. When he was about four years old his parents moved to the State of New York, settled in Erie County. He grew up to manhood in this State, and at the age of twenty-four moved to Wisconsin, where he remained about five years; then moved to Michigan. Lived in Michigan about fifteen years, and then came to Kansas. He was married in Buffalo, N. Y., June 3, 1847, to Ann M. Beam, Daughter of John B. and Eliza Beam. She is a native of Canada. The children are-Orpa O (dead), Theodore M. and Henry J. (living). While Col. Baker is himself a native of Canada, his father was a native of Maryland, and his mother of Pennsylvania. He is one of the most intelligent and influential men in Sherman Township.
THOMAS N. BEEZLEY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas in 1857 and located in Barbour County, and lived there from July till May of the following year. Then he moved to Lawrence and lived there till 1868, when he located in Sherman Township, Leavenworth County. He was born in Tennessee in 1820, and removed with his parents when quite young to Sinclair County, Ill., and remained there till seventeen years of age, then enlisted in the army and went to Mexico and served with the Rangers during that war, and was discharged at the close of the war and returned to Illinois. He was two years a pilot on the Mississippi River, and crossed the plains to California, and remained there two years. He returned to Illinois and came to Kansas in 1857. Mr. Beezley was first married in Kansas, in 1843, to Miss Hannah Huffsey, a native of Philadelphia, and had four children, none now living. He married his second wife in 1856-Miss Tabitha Edds, a native of Missouri. They had five children, one living - Thomas N.; was married again in Lawrence, in 1865, to Mrs. Catherine Stopher; had one child - James N.; was married again in 1872, to Eliza Jane Ford, a native of Ohio. Mr. Beezley was City Marshal of Lawrence for seventeen years and Constable four years. Is a member of the Odd Fellows' Society.
GEORGE BRAWNER, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Tiblow, came to Kansas in May, 1870, settled in Leavenworth County, and has lived there ever since. Has served as Justice of the Peace, but has never sought distinction, has rather avoided office, preferring to live quietly in enjoyment of his home and family. He was born in Jessamine County, Ky., December 24, 1805, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Brawner. He left his native place in September, 1836, and moved to Clay County, Mo., and remained there six years; then moved to Trenton, Mo., where he remained three years, after which he lived twenty-five years in Brunswick, Mo. When the war broke out he was following the gunsmith business at this place. As his business was broken up, he moved to Chariton County, and lived there till the close of the war. He then moved to Linneus, Linn County, and lived there two years, and from there came to Kansas. He was married in Madison County, Ky., September 17, 1829, to Ann Turner, daughter of Edward and Sarah Turner. She is a native of Madison County, Ky., where she was born March 9, 1812. Mr. Brawner and wife have had a happy wedded life of over fifty-three years, and are still living in the enjoyment of good health. Three years ago, September 17, they celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding-day. Among other valuable presents they received a $50 solid gold medal, appropriately engraved and inscribed, presented by J. F. Richards, of Leavenworth City. They have five children living - Thomas E., Richard, Elizabeth, Cynthia and Mollie. They are both worthy members of the Christian Church.
E. E. BRUNK, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas, April, 1856; settled near Centropolis, Franklin County. Has engaged in farming and teaming ever since. Has served as Constable six years. Enlisted in Company I, Thirteenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, May 2, 1861. Was under the command of the Gallant Mulligan, and was taken prisoner at Lexington, Mo.; after a stubborn defense of eleven days, and when starvation compelled it, his whole command surrendered. The opportunity affording, he was mustered into the Twenty-fifth Missouri Infantry the same fall. He was never sick nor absent a day from his command until wounded at Shiloh. He was in all the engagements of his command until he was wounded a second time at Peach Tree, Ga., during the famous Sherman raid. He was sent from the hospital home, and before he had fully recovered he took his buggy and recruited another company, while yet his leave of absence had not expired. He was then transferred to the Forty-Third Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Was in an engagement with Price at Glasgow, Mo., and was taken prisoner, held twenty-four hours and paroled; marched to Boonville, and from there ordered to Jefferson City. He continued in Government service till close of war, and was mustered out at Benton Barracks, July, 1865. He was commissioned as Second Lieutenant, Company H, and commanded Company D during engagement at Glasgow. He was born in Franklin County, Ohio, April, 18, 1844, son of Samuel and Emma Brunk. While only two years old his parents moved to Davis County, Mo., where he remained till he enlisted. After close of war he traveled extensively in Colorado, Oregon, Washington Territory and California; finally settled in Kansas. He was married in Davis County, Mo., April 28, 1865, to Nancy C. Creekmore. She was a native of Missouri. The children are-Margaret Emiline, William Edward, Emmett Edson, David Edwin and Samuel Edson.
JAMES THOMAS BURNETT, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas in November, 1863. First settled in Johnson County; now lives in Sherman Township, Leavenworth County, and is a member of the School Board, District No. 66. He was born in Ray County, Mo., April 30, 1854. Is the son of William and Lydia Burnett. Came direct from his native place to Kansas in 1865. He was married in Leavenworth County, in October, 1880, to Naomi F. Bare, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Bare. She was a native of Taylor County, Iowa, and died January 11, 1882. Her father and mother survive her. Mr. Henry Bare is a native of East Tennessee; was born January 1, 1816; is the son of Owen and Sarah Bare; married in Indiana, February 14, 1839, to Elizabeth King. He has served in this county as Justice of the Peace, and both he and his son-in-law, Mr. Burnett, are respected and honored citizens.
W. W. CHADWICK, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Loring, settled on his present place in the spring of 1883. The home farm contains 260 acres, 100 acres of bottom land, under the plow, the balance devoted to pasture. Products, both grain and stock. In the latter he has six head of thoroughbred Short-horn cattle, of the Rose of Sharon family. This farm is known in history as the "Cook Place." W. W. Chadwick was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, March 11, 1835. He was educated in his native county, and after leaving school engaged in farming. During the war he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on the one hundred day call, and was attached to the army under Gen. Grant, and was located at Washington, White House Landing, and on the Appomattox, on the left of Gen. Butler's line. On his return home he resumed his farming operations, and continued this in Ohio until 1875. In that year he moved to Kansas, locating at Lawrence. In the following spring he bought and settled on a farm, in Wakarusa Township, Douglas County, where he engaged in farming until the spring of 1883. He married in Franklin County, Kansas, November 12, 1859, Miss Rebecca M., daughter of Amos Williamson, one of the pioneers of that county. They have seven children living - Laury, Arthur, Amy, Olive, Pearly, Mollie and Maud. Mr. C. is a member of the Christian Church, and in Douglas County a prominent member of the School Board.
M. F. CRITTENDEN, farmer, Sections 11 and 14, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas November 2, 1871, and settled in Sherman Township. He was born in New York, April 13, 1834, son of Mortimer and Jenette Crittenden. In 1844, he moved to Michigan, near Ann Arbor, and after a residence of several years in Michigan, he went to the State of Ohio, where he spent some four or five years, and then returned to Michigan, and three years later moved to Kansas. He was married in Michigan, June 9, 1857, to Elizabeth Cady, by whom he had one child - William. His first wife died July, 1858, and he was married a second time in Ohio, December 3, 1862, to Minerva Curry, by whom he had two children - Nora and Ettie. His second wife died in 1867, and he was married again in Ohio, January 11, 1869, to Mrs. Mary L. Jewett, a widow lady, whose maiden name was Evans, daughter of Goodwin and Levina Evans. She is a native of Vermont. Her father is widely known and universally esteemed, being a Free Will Baptist minister of considerable ability, and having done a vast amount of missionary labor at his own expense, through Eastern Kansas.
JOHN C. CULLISON, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Loring, came to Kansas in the fall of 1866, and settled where he now lives; was then the Delaware Reserve. He has been engaged in merchandising, railroading, selling land, farming, etc., since coming to the State. He came here with a team, wagon and $25 in money, and has secured a handsome competence. He served three terms as Constable and one term as Deputy Sheriff. He enlisted in Company I, Twenty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry in the fall of 1862; served one year and was mustered out on account of sickness, and in 1864, entered the militia service. He was born in Athens County, Ohio, June 28, 1836, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Cullison. When twelve years of age his parents moved to Lee County, Iowa. Spent in Lee, Warren and Decatur counties, Iowa, about eighteen years, and came to Kansas in 1866. He was married in North Missouri, June 28, 1856, to Laura Ann Collier, by whom he had ten children - Samuel Levi, Phoebe E., Sarah S., Ollie F., Thomas J., Mary M., Laura J., Elinora, John and Ann A. Losing his first wife by death, he was married a second time, July 4, 1873, to Clara Ann Clark, daughter of Melvin and Sarah Ann Clark, by whom he has four children - William M., Genetta Orabell, Clarence Eugene and James Emery. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
D. H. DREISBACH, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Reno, came to Kansas in October, 1868, and located where he now resides. He was Township Treasurer, and has been director of the School Board nearly ever since his district was organized. He was born in Carbon County, Pa., July 21, 1831, the son of Daniel and Rebecca Dreisbach; came direct from Pennsylvania to Kansas in 1868. He was married at Allentown, Pa., September 5, 1854, to Mary E. Benner, daughter of Jesse and Harriet Benner. His wife is a native of Lehigh County, Pa. Their children are Samuel, Emma, Susan, Asa J., Joseph H., Mary E., Della, Lawrence K. and Hattie.
FRANK M. DUNCAN, merchant, block 2, in Linwood, came to Kansas in the fall of 1867. First located in Linwood, then called "Stranger" (and formerly Journey Cake), on the Delaware Indian Reserve. He was born near Keokuk, Iowa, November 17, 1856. He is the son of John S. and Annie Duncan. In 1859 his parents removed to Memphis, Tenn., and thence to Kansas City one year afterward. Remained at Kansas City seven years and then moved to Linwood. The summer of 1873 was spent at Grand Tower, Ill., and part of the year of 1875, at Oberlin Ohio, where he learned telegraphy at college. He has been engaged in the railroad service for seven years; was with the K. P. road in Kansas until March, 1881, when he went to Colorado and engaged as Chief Clerk in the "Resident-Engineers" office, of the Denver and Rio Grande R. R. Served in this capacity thirteen months and then returned to Linwood, and went to merchandising. He was married at Linwood, September 15, 1880 to Viola Tudhope, daughter of John and Mary Tudhope. She died October 31, same fall. She was a native of Ohio, and was twenty-three years of age at the time of her death. Mr. Duncan's father, John S. Duncan, deserves some mention in connection with this sketch. He was a man of unusual vigor and force of character. Was a native of Ohio; ran a saw mill in Kansas City five years, and from 1865 until the time of his death at Grand Tower, Ill., in 1873, lived at Linwood, Kansas.
JOSHUA ECKMAN, farmer and grocer, Section 6, P. O. Daisy, came to Kansas, March, 1869, and located where he now resides. Has been engaged in farming since he came to the State, but now intends to keep a country hotel and grocery store, and will farm and garden on a small scale. He also expects to build a large aquarium and to propagate fish. He is Treasurer of School District, and takes a lively interest in educational matters. He was born in Lancaster County, Pa., March 27, 1822, son of Jacob and Catherine Eckman. He left his native home, March, 1869, and came direct to Kansas. He has been married three times, losing two wives by death. First marriage was in Lancaster County, Pa., March 10, 1846, to Elizabeth H. Brown, daughter of James and Mercy Brown, by whom he had two children - Ethelinda and Marietta. Second marriage was September 23, 1852, to Sarah S. Smedley, daughter of Eli and Elizabeth Smedley, by whom he had one child - Alonzo S. His third marriage took place in the same county, to Mary E. Marsh, November 6, 1855, daughter of William and Alice Marsh. She is a native of Chester County, Pa. By his last wife he has eight children - John, William, Jacob, Mary Alice, Arthur, Isaac, James, Maggie and Nannie. Mr. Eckman's home commands one of the finest views in the State of Kansas. Lawrence and the State University are plainly visible, distance fourteen miles. The steeples of Kansas City can be seen on clear afternoons, distance twenty-six miles. A scope of country the richest in the State, comprising nearly three counties in Kansas, and a small portion of Missouri lies in distinct view from the observatory on Mr. Eckman's hotel. Easy of access by two lines of railway, from Leavenworth, Kansas City, Lawrence and Topeka, it affords for the tired and overworked denizens of these thriving cities the pleasantest and healthiest resort during the hot summer months that can be found.
JOHN B. FREDERICK, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas City spring of 1848. Purchased fifteen acres of land at or near the mouth of Kansas River, at $10 per acre, farmed it here for a few years, and sold fourteen (14) acres for $3,000, and afterward sold the remaining one acre for $4,400. In 1862 moved into Wyandotte County, Kan., and in 1881 came to present location. In 1854 went with an ox train from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Union. Was about four months making the round trip. They were two months out of sight of any white settlement. In going out found no white settlement between Leavenworth and Council Grove, but on return found the country between these points settling rapidly. In 1859, Mr. Frederick, in company with seven others, was employed by two French noblemen to accompany them as guides and bodyguard on a pleasure and hunting excursion, across the plains to Mexico. They proceeded as far as Salt Creek, fifty miles beyond Fort Riley. The company were supplied with a very costly outfit, and every luxury was afforded that money could procure. Buffalo were found in abundance. After several futile efforts on the part of the noblemen to bring down a buffalo, a Mr. Eno, one of the guides and an old hunter, killed three in a few minutes. But the evening after the first hunt, a few suspicious acting Indians were prowling near camp, and our brave lords suddenly abandoned the idea of going to Mexico, and decided to return by the shortest route to Kansas City. Mr. Frederick was born in Germany, December 2, 1832, son of Henry and Mary Ann Frederick. When five years old his parents moved to America, and settled in Henry County, Mo., 1837, remaining there till he moved to Kansas City in 1848. He was married in Kansas City, November, 6, 1860, to Margaret Gittens, daughter of Patrick and Catherine Gittens. She is a native of Ireland. They have eight children - Catherine, William H., John E., Francis E., Thomas, Mary Ann, Allen.
JOHN JEWETT, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas June 16, 1857. He first located in Leavenworth City, and engaged in drilling wells till 1869, since when he has been engaged in farming. He was the first County Commissioner elected from Sherman Township-served two years. Was Sergeant in Kansas State Militia. He was born in Richmond, Ontario Co., N. Y., July 13, 1834. Son of Stephen S. and Jemima Jewett. At an early age his parents moved to Kendall, Orleans County. He remained at home till he was of age, by which time he had accumulated a little money of his own, by teaching school, and taking Greeley's advice to young men, he came west as far as Illinois. Here, in the fall of 1856, he cast his first vote, for James Buchanan. Taught school while in Illinois. In May, 1857, with a train of eleven migrant wagons, he started for Kansas, and reached Fort Leavenworth June 16, 1857. He was married in Lawrence, March 5, 1861, to Ellen A. Turman, who was born in Perrysville, Vermillion Co., Ind., daughter of Benjamin Turman. Their children are Sarah Maud, Stephen B., John, William G., Joseph A., Emily P. and Lena V.
J. T. MARTIN, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas in the fall of 1872, and settled near where he now lives. He has served as Township Clerk two years. He was born in Anderson County, Ky., May 21, 1847. Is the son of Clayborn and Frances Martin. At an early age his parents moved to Clay County, Mo., where he grew up to manhood, and where he remained until 1872, when he came to Kansas. He was married in Platte County, Mo., March 30, 1880, to Stella Allen, daughter of O. D. and Pauline Allen. They have one child, Ernest Martin. Mr. Martin is prosperous in business, and has a promising future before him.
JACOB MORRIS, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Loring, came to Kansas in the spring of 1860. First located near Fort Scott, in Bourbon county; remained there about eighteen months, and moved to present location in Sherman Township. He belonged to Company K, Nineteenth Kansas State Militia, and was in the engagement at Westport. Was born in Calhoun County, Ill., September 26, 1844, son of Jacob and Elizabeth Morris. Left his native place May 9, 1860, and landed in Kansas July 3, 1860. He was married in Wyandotte County, Kan., August 6, 1865, to Cassinda Reynolds, daughter of Evan and Margaret Reynolds. She is a native of Bates County, Mo. Their children are - Evan Henry, Loretta E., Lilly Etta, Ida May, Mandell and Eva Ellen.
CHARLES W. ORRICK, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas spring of 1858; first settled at Spring Hill, in Johnson County. He enlisted in Company I, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, November 14, 1861. He served three years and seven months, and was in all the engagements of his command except at Pine Bluffs. Was then sick and at home on furlough. He was a prisoner thirteen months and five days at Camp Ford, Tyler, Tex. Was mustered out April 18, 1865. He was born at Belleville, Hendricks Co., Ind., March 10, 1845, son of J. D. and Eliza Orrick. At an early age his parents moved to Gosport, Ind.; remained there four years, and moved to Cataract, thence to Fillmore, and then moved to Taylorville, Ill.; after remaining there three years came to Kansas. He was married at Gardiner, Johnson Co., Kan., May 30, 1865, to Mary Redd, daughter of J. D. and Sarah Redd, native of Benton County, Mo. They have six children, viz., Francis, Minnie, Willie, Lottie, Grace and Bertha.
JOSEPH S. PENCE, farmer, Sections 9 and 10, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas in April, 1863, and first located in Jackson County. Has been engaged in farming ever since he came to Kansas. Has been a member of the School Board five or six years. Was born in Scott County, Ky., November 25, 1835. He is the son of Henry and Lorany Pence. At an early age his parents moved to Missouri, and he grew to manhood in Clay County, Mo. Came direct from Missouri to Kansas. He was married in Clay County, Mo., February 10, 1859, to Sarah C. Martin, daughter of Clayborn and Frances Martin. She is a native of Kentucky. Their children are-Joseph Edwin, John R. and George L. Pence. Mr. and Mrs. Pence are worthy members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
CHARLES PETERSON, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Linwood. He was born in Sweden, January 28, 1842. Son of Peter and Mary A. Peterson. He left his native home in 1868 and went to San Francisco, Cal., where he remained five years. He then returned to Sweden, but again sought a home in the Western Continent and came to Illinois, and after remaining there two years he came to Kansas, November, 1878. He was married in Sherman Township, spring of 1882, to Jennie Tousin, a native of Sweden. He has adopted Kansas as his home, and proposes to thoroughly inform himself as to the geography, history and resources of our thriving young State, and thus to become an intelligent and useful citizen.
JAMES PICKENS, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas, fall of 1854, and was engaged for two years following, freighting for Government. Made his first trip from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Riley with mule train. The second journey was made in about five months from the same initial point to Fort Union, N. M., and return. There were very few houses in Leavenworth City when he left for New Mexico, and the country along the extreme eastern border of Kansas was just then receiving its first emigrants. A few days' drive took him entirely away from all white settlements, but on his return he found that during the short period of five months the pioneer settlers had pushed their way far into the interior of the State, and Leavenworth had grown to very respectable dimensions as a city. His next trip in the Government service was to Fort Kearney, Neb. He remained at that post four or five months, and was there when Gen. Harney had his famous engagement with Indians at Ash Hollow. On his return from Fort Kearney he went to Parkville, Mo., and there carried on the mercantile business from 1856 till spring of 1861, when he moved to the old Indian village of Sicoxisville, Leavenworth Co., Kas. But in 1865 he returned to Missouri, remained two years, and in 1867 again moved to Kansas, settled where he now lives, and has engaged in farming ever since. He is an old veteran of the Mexican war, having served under Gen. Paterson, and was in all the engagements of his command. He has been elected County Commissioner of his county three times and has served two terms. Has frequently represented his district in County Conventions. He was born in Tennessee, August 17, 1833. Son of William and Annie Pickens. His parents both died when he was quite young. He came from Tennessee to Platte County in 1853. He was married in Leavenworth City, June 3, 1861, to Kansas Bingley, daughter of Mr. Charles Bingley. She is a native of Missouri. They have five children, Charles O., James R. M., Lilly C., Sarah M., and Oliver J.
JAMES P. SEEVER, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas, March 4, 1861, and first located near Arrington, Atchison County. He has been engaged in farming ever since he came to the State. Was born in Fleming County, Ky., May 6, 1836. His parents were Geoge and Sarah Seever. He left Kentucky about the year 1855 and moved to Buchanan County, Mo., where he remained until his removal to Kansas in 1861. He was married in Buchanan County, Mo., December 8, 1858, to Evaline Patton, daughter of Clayborn and Nancy Patton. She was a native of Missouri. They have seven children, Amanda, Lewis, James W., Clayborn, Fannie, Ella, and John.
HUGH SHANNON, farmer and merchant, dealer in grain and stock, Section 22, P. O. Lenape, came to Kansas in April, 1870, and settled at Lenape, engaged in farming exclusively for five years, but has since combined merchandising and grain dealing with farming. He has been Township Treasurer two terms, and has served as District Treasurer for ten consecutive years. He was conscripted in Murray County, Ga., during the rebellion, and in April, 1862, entered the Confederate service; thirteen months afterward he abandoned the service and went to New York, where he engaged in boating on the Hudson River four years. He was born in Cocke County, East Tenn., October 13, 1836; is the son of Hugh and Susan Shannon. In 1847 his parents moved to Murray County Ga., and he remained with them until conscripted in 1862. He returned to Georgia from New York in 1867 and remained there until 1870, when he removed to Kansas. He was married in Lenape, April 12, 1877, to Matilda Nixon, who is a native of Illinois. Mr. Shannon is deservedly a popular man.
JOSEPH J. SHAW, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Tiblow, came to Kansas in March, 1868; first located in Johnson County. He enlisted in Company I, Thirty-Ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry July 4, 1861, and served until January 17, 1863, and re-enlisted again in Company B, Second Regiment of Heavy Artillery, Ohio Volunteers, who were enrolled on the 5th day of July, 1863, to serve three years. He was on duty all the time and was in all the engagements of his command. He was born in Adams County, Ohio, October 24, 1842; is the son of Smith and Lydia Shaw. In the spring of 1868, left Ohio and came direct to Kansas, after living a short time in Johnson County moved to his present location in Sherman Township, Leavenworth County. He was married in Ohio, September 17, 1868, to Louisa Stilwell, daughter of William and Elizabeth Stilwell. They have three children, Emmett C., Lilly and Jessee. Mr. Shaw's father, Smith Shaw, who is still living on an adjoining farm, deserves some notice in this connection. He enlisted at the beginning of the war in Battery F, First Ohio Light Artillery, and served until its close in 1865. Was in many heavy engagements in which we mention, Murfreesboro, Stone River, Chattanooga, Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, etc. He also had three sons in the army and all are still living. Both his parental and maternal grandfathers were killed in the war of the Revolution at a place then known as Cross Lanes. He was born in Highland County, Ohio, August 31, 1819. He is the son of James and Rebecca Shaw. Was married in the same county to Lydia Marlatt, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Marlatt. His wife is still living. They have had twelve children - eleven of whom are now living - Nancy E., Rebecca, Hannah, Joseph J., Daniel M., Cyreneus, Sarah Amanda, William Newton, Martha Kansas and Mary Nebraska, twins, and John C.
ORRIN W. SHEPHERD, merchant, Lot 3, Block 31, Linwood, came to Kansas spring of 1870; first located at Edwardsville. He was born in Liberty, Cal., November 19, 1858, son of Adam and Mary Shepherd. Left California, February, 1869, and moved to Harrison County, Mo., and for a few months engaged in farming, and then moved to Edwardsville, Kan. Has served the Union Pacific Railroad as operator at Linwood, Solomon City, Manhattan and other places. Was also in employ of K. C. L. & S. R. R., as agent and operator, at Burden, Cowley Co., Kan., until August 19, 1881, when he opened a store at Linwood, and has already found it necessary to enlarge his store room, and is now building a new business house, 22,50 feet, where, in company with F. M Duncan, he will keep a full assortment of general merchandise.
J. M. STOTTS, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Tiblow, came to Kansas fall of 1869; first located at Edwardsville; and in 1880 moved to present location. He was born in Cass County, Mo., May 2, 1855, son of William and Jemima Stotts. At an early age went with parents to Leesville, Ill. Remained there four years, then returned to Cass County, Mo., and two years later came to Edwardsville, Kan., where he remained till spring of 1880, since then he has lived in Sherman Township. The year 1876 was spent in railroad service in Colorado. He was married in Wyandotte County, September 5, 1882, to Mollie Johnson, daughter of C. K. and M. E. Johnson. She is a native of Missouri. Mr. Stotts is one of our enterprising, intelligent and progressive young men.
J. W. WARRING, farmer and physician, Section 6, P. O. Linwood, came to Kansas January 2, 1870, settled where he now lives, and has practiced medicine and engaged in farming ever since. He takes considerable interest in educational matters, being a member of the School Board, and has also served as Township Clerk and Trustee. He was born in Scott County, Ky., August 4, 1847, the son of William and Martha Warring. He left Kentucky in 1869, and moved to Platte City, Mo., where he remained about seven months, and then came to his present location. He was married in Sherman Township, May 9, 1870, to Lydia F. Harness, daughter of Thomas and Mary Harness. She is a native of Kentucky. They have four children - Carrie M., Ray, E. Cobb and Oley Otto. Dr. Warring is a successful farmer and a good physician; has a lucrative practice. He is a worthy member of Advent Church.