|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
On the Lawrence branch of the Kansas Pacific Railroad there are two stations within the limits of Stranger Township. One of these is the village of Stranger, which was laid out in 1867 by the Kansas Valley Town Company. The other is Hoge Station, where the first postoffice of the town was established, in 1868, Joseph Hoge, postmaster. Here is also a small Catholic Church in charge of Father M. Brown.
JOHN ALLAN, engaged in merchandising and is the agent of the Railroad Company at Hoge Station and is also the Postmaster at that place. Mr. Allan came to Kansas in 1858 and located in Leavenworth County, and has lived in the county ever since. He was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1820, and at the age of five years removed with his parents to Scotland, and remained there nine years, and returned to America, locating in Canada, and lived there twenty-five years, and removed from there to Kansas in 1858. Mr. Allan was married in Canada, in 1853, to Miss Georgianna Waters, a native of Scotland. He has been elected Justice of the Peace three terms. Mr. Allan is a highly respected citizen of Stranger Township.
HENRY BAKER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Hoge. He came to Kansas in 1862 and located in Stranger Township, and has lived in the township since. Mr. Baker enlisted in the army in 1862, in Company A, Second Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and served seven months and was discharged on account of disability. Mr. Baker was born in Jackson County, Mo., in 1837, and lived in his native State till he came to Kansas, in 1862. Mr. Baker was married in Platte County, Mo., in 1859, to Miss Melley Freeland, a native of Kentucky; has seven children - George, Minnie, Celia, Parthena, Benjamin, Leonsworth and William. Mr. Baker is a member of the Republican party, and a respected citizen of Leavenworth, Kansas.
H. F. BARNES, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Tonganoxie, came to Kansas in 1868, and located in Stranger Township, two miles east of Tonganoxie, and has lived there since. He was born in the State of New York, in 1814, and lived in his native State thirty-one years; then moved to Bradford County, Pa., and lived there till 1857; then came to Scott County, Iowa, and lived in Iowa till July, 1868. In that year he moved to Kansas and located where he now lives. Mr. Barnes was married in New York, in 1847, to Miss Sarah S. Thayer, a native of that State. They have one child - Charley Z. Mr. Barnes is a member of the First Congregational Church, of Tonganoxie, and has been Township Clerk and Road Officer of his township.
R. T. DARNALL, farmer, P. O. Hoge, is the manager of the Insley stock farm, a large and improved farm of 1,200 acres, all under fence, and mostly in tame grass. The farm is stocked with Short-horn and high grade cattle. The grades of stock are the Marys, Phillises and Rose of Sharon, and a bull, the Second Duke of Newham. He is also engaged in raising Poland-China hogs. Mr. Darnall has been in Kansas one year, in the stock business for M. H. Insley, of Leavenworth. Mr. Darnall was born in Montgomery County, Ky., in 1837, and lived there sixteen years, and then moved to Platte County, Mo., in 1852, and was six years Treasurer of that county, and with the exception of four years spent in Colorado, lived in that county till he came to Kansas. Mr. Darnall was married in St. Joseph, Mo., in 1859, to Miss Sue E. Bennett, a native of Missouri, and has had four children - Lela M., Richard B., Robert M. and Charles D. He lost his wife in 1869, and was married again in 1870, to Miss Kate Nutter, a native of Kentucky, and had one child - Sally. Mr. Darnall is a member of the Masonic Order and Knights Templar, and also an Odd Fellow, and is a very intelligent and enterprising citizen.
WILLIAM HAZLEWOOD, P. O. Hoge, is engaged in farming and raising a graded stock of cattle, and Berkshire and Poland-China hogs. Mr. Hazlewood was formerly a large dealer in stock in Chicago for ten years, and has been a large shipper of stock to the Eastern markets; has also been largely engaged as a trader in stock since he came to Kansas, in 1874, and located in Leavenworth County, and has lived in the county since. Mr. Hazlewood was born in England, in 1815, and lived in his native country twenty-two years, and removed to the United States in 1837, and located in Belmont County, Ohio, and lived there twenty-five years, and moved to Pennsylvania and lived there ten years, and removed to Kansas in 1872, and located where he now lives, in Leavenworth County. He was married in Ohio in 1839, to Miss Bertha J. Gaddes, a native of Pennsylvania. Has seven children - William, James, Elizabeth, Fanny, Margaret, Martha and Ella. Mr. Hazlewood is a member of the Masonic Order, and is a highly respected citizen of Stranger Township.
JOSEPH H. LEIGHTY, P. O. Tonganoxie, has been engaged in teaching school for about twelve years in Pennsylvania and this State, and has been engaged in farming about four years, and is raising a good stock of hogs and cattle. Mr. L. came to Kansas in 1870, and located in Leavenworth County, and has resided there since. He was born in Blair County, Pa., in 1843, and lived in his native State until 1870, when he came to Kansas, and located where he now lives, in Stranger Township. Mr. L. enlisted in the army in 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served with that regiment until discharged on account of gun shot wound, on the 6th of May, 1864, in the Battle of the Wilderness. Was discharged on the 15th of April, 1865, and returned to Pennsylvania, and lived in that State until he came to Kansas, in 1870. Mr. L. was married in Pennsylvania January 3, 1871, to Miss Mary C. Buck, a native of Pennsylvania, and has had six children - Lillian W., Minola A., Joseph E., William J., Irma F. and Clara E. Mr. L. is an intelligent and highly respected citizen of Stranger Township.
JOHN WIRTH, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Summit, Leavenworth County, came to Kansas in the fall of 1858, and located in Jefferson County. He lived there three years and moved to Leavenworth City, and remained there three years, and then located in Stranger Township, in 1865, where he now lives on his fine farm. Mr. Wirth was born in Germany in 1833, and lived in his native country until nineteen years of age. He then came to the United States and located in New York, and lived there from 1853 to 1858, and then came to Kansas and located where he now lives. Mr. Wirth was married in Rochester, N. Y., in 1856, to Miss Rosa Kaler, a native of Germany. They have had four children, two of whom are living - Addie and Lillie. Mr. Wirth is an enterprising farmer and highly respected by the people of his township.
This is a beautiful little village, situated a few miles southwest of Leavenworth, on the Lawrence branch of the U. P. R. R. It was platted by the Kansas Valley Town Company, in June, 1867. The station was originally one mile further east, and was called Kelley's Station, being settled in 1864. The name "Fairmount" was given to the village because of its location upon a fair mount. Among the early settlers of the village and township were B. F. Harrod, James Harrod, Robert J. Costello, I. B. Dutton, Riley Todd, John Johnson, O. S. Markham, O. S. Hiatt, Dr. S. D. Coffin, T. J. Stout (Postmaster of Fairmount), Abram Maris, Judge J. E. Williams, O. S. Penfield, J. A. Page, and T. C. Denell.
Fairmount contains a populations (sic) of nearly 150 people, a Methodist Episcopal Church (South) and Presbyterian Church. The former has a membership of sixty, and is in charge of Rev. J. W. Faubio. The Presbyterian pulpit (July, 1882) is unsupplied.
Fairmount contains four stores and a large cider mill and apple butter factory, which will soon be put in operation and be a great addition to the business of the place. Messrs. Wellhouse & Son have invested $12,000 in the business, having erected a new and commodious building near the railway track. They will use up 10,000 bushels of apples this year, having purchased extensive and improved machinery.
At Glenwood, also in Fairmount Township, is a large Methodist Episcopal Society in charge of Rev. J. C. Telford, of Tonganoxie. The society owns a $3,000 building, and numbers seventy people. This post- office also has a fine frame schoolhouse, 134x45 feet; and the community is, in all respects, prosperous.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - FAIRMOUNT TOWNSHIP.
G. H. BEACH, farmer and miner, Section 13, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in 1857 and first located near Lawrence. He was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., August 18, 1837, son of Erastus H. and Almira Beach. He lift (sic) New York in 1855 and moved to Fond du Lac County, Wis., and from there moved to Kansas in 1857. During the gold excitement of 1859 he went to Pike's Peak. Col., in the spring and returned in the fall. Again went to Colorado in 1860 and assisted in locating the Bob Tail Lode. He owned an interest and worked in the celebrated California Gulch on the Upper Arkansas. From 1863 to 1865 had extensive interests in Oregon and Idaho. Spent the winter of 1865 in New York, and then next spring returned to Kansas. Came to present location in the fall of 1866. Still owns extensive mining interests in Colorado, San Juan County. He was married near Monticello, Johnson Co., Kas., December 10, 1867, to Mollie C. Kay, daughter of George and Elizabeth Kay. Mrs. Beach is a descendant of John Kay (or Key, as the name was sometimes spelled) whose parents came from England to America in the same fleet with William Penn, during the latter part of the year 1682. Her great great grandfather, John Kay, was the first male child born in Philadelphia; the block known as the Kay Block was presented by William Penn in honor of the event. Mrs. Beach was born in Bedford County, Pa. Children's names are Olive Elizabeth, Jennie Keever, and Kay Hamilton.
I. N. COCHRAN, hotel keeper and farmer, came to Kansas in 1873, and located where he now resides. He was born in Winhall, Bennington Co., Vt. His parents were Edward C. and Esther F. Cochran. Left Vermont about 1848, settled near Chicopee Falls, Mass. Was married in his native State, March, 1841, to Sallie Cook, who died in 1873. Was again married, at Fairmount, Kas., November 16, 1875, to Ann Miller, who was born in Lancashire, England, December 24, 1812. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
THEODORE C. DEUEL, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Fairmount, was born in Philadelphia, Jefferson Co., N. Y., August 15, 1824. He is the son of Reuben E. and Elizabeth O. Deuel; moved to New Hampshire in 1843, returning to New York in the spring of 1845 and moved to Rock County, Wis., in 1846; while here he farmed, taught school and engaged for a short time in lumbering. Came from Wisconsin to Kansas in the fall of 1859, but returned to Wisconsin in the fall of 1860, and in the spring of 1866 again came to Kansas and after a residence of six months in Linn County moved to his present location, arriving October 3, 1866. Has engaged in farming ever since. Has served as Township Clerk and Justice of the Peace since coming here. He was married in Rock County, Wis., to Celestia Bishop, daughter of Soloman and Catherine Bishop. His wife is a native of Rush County, Ind. They have ten children; Mary Hygiana, Harriet Angelia, Reuben Bishop, John Fremont, Julia Antoinette, Charles Conde, Nancy Elnora, Devere Vining, Samantha Estelle, and Theodore Norman.
O. L. DUNBAR, farmer, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in the fall of 1870, first located in Leavenworth City. He is now School Director of his district. He enlisted in Company B, Twelfth Illinois Infantry; served two months and was mustered out on account of sickness. He was born in Bureau County, Ill., June 2, 1844. Son of H. R. and Jemima Dunbar. He left Illinois, fall of 1868, and went to Omaha, Neb. Was married same fall, November 19, 1868, to Mary Edminester, in Marion, Linn Co., Iowa. His wife is a native of Tompkins Co., N. Y. They have two children, Chester and Lena. Are both members of Methodist Episcopal Church.
OLIVER S. HIATT, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in the fall of 1866, and located on the Delaware Reserve, Leavenworth County, nine miles south of Leavenworth City. Has been a member of the School Board for ten years, and Justice of the Peace for five years. Was also County Commissioner for four years, and has been sent at different times as a delegate to County and State Congressional Conventions. Was on the 7th day of October, 1882, appointed by his honor Judge Crozier, Auditor of Leavenworth County for the term of two years. He was born in Wayne County, Ind., February 4, 1839. Parents were Elam and Sarah Hiatt. He has an extensive relationship in the State, and can trace his genealogy through his grandparents, Amer and Achsah Hiatt, of North Carolina, and his great grandparents, William and Charity Hiatt, and a long line of ancestry to John Hiatt who came over in the May Flower. He left his native place in September, 1866, and came direct to Kansas. He was married in Rockville, Parke Co., Ind., December 24, 1861, to Mary Ellen Maris, daughter of Abram and Avis Maris. She was born in Parke County, Ind., May 5, 1840. They have two children, Effie and Mamie E. They belong to the society of Orthodox Friends.
D. P. HARROD, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in October, 1857. His father was the first man who put up a dwelling in Fairmount Township. He was born in Franklin County, Ky., July 14, 1842. Is the son of Chapman and Nancy Harrod. He came directly from his native place to Kansas, and has resided here ever since, and together with his brothers has made an enviable reputation as an honest, industrious and successful business man. Is a worthy member of the Christian Church.
E. W. LUCAS, farmer, Section 3, Township 11, Range 22, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, first locating near Wyandotte. Has been several times a Delegate to County, State and Congressional Conventions. Served as Township Trustee six consecutive years, and was also County Commissioner. He enlisted in Company G, Sixth Kansas Volunteers, in October, 1861, and served until he was mustered out May 19, 1865. Was in the Battle of Cane Hill, and in several skirmishes; was in the engagements at Prairie Grove, Newtonia, at Cabin Creek, Leavenworth County, and also all the engagements in which Steel participated in his expedition through Arkansas to form a junction with Gen. Banks, on Red River. He enlisted as a private, but was promoted first as Second Lieutenant, and afterward as First Lieutenant of his company. He was born in 1839, in Ontario County, Canada. Parents were Valentine and Sarah Lucas. He left Canada in 1852, and came to Illinois; remained there two or three years, and then moved to Burlington, Iowa, and from there came to Kansas. He was married in Wyandotte County, September 12, 1865, to Fannie Sortor, who died March 1, 1874. Was married a second time March 31, 1875, to Susan G. Hindman, daughter of William T. and Amanda Hindman. His last wife was a native of Sardinia, Brown Co., Ohio. He has five children, first two by his first wife-Henry E. and John A.; last three, Blanche E., Fannie G. and Fred H., by his present wife. Mr. Lucas and wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he belongs to the Order of Free Masons.
J. G. McCONKEY, farmer and carpenter, Section 27, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in 1863. First located at Leavenworth City. He has served as School Director two terms. Was Corporal in Company I, first Kansas Militia, and was in the engagement at Westport, Mo. Was born March 6, 1824, in Washington, Va. Was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth McConkey. At the age of nine years removed to East Tennessee, thence to Georgia, in 1841, thence to New Orleans, La., and thence to Illinois, where he remained from 1849 to 1863, when he came to Leavenworth City, in March. Was married February 14, 1860, in Athens, Ga., to a widow lady by the name of Harriet N. White. Her parents were Abijah and Phoebe Conger, whose native place was Marysville, Blunt Co., East Tenn. He has four children and one step child - Georgia Florence, Ema, Minnie G. and Melvin. Step son, William A. White.
L. A. MENAGER, farmer and stock-breeder, Section 30, Wyandotte County, Kansas, P. O. Lansing, came to Kansas April 1, 1858. First located in Leavenworth County. He was Clerk of the Delaware Indian Agency six years, has been School District Treasurer two years. He was born in Gallipolis, Ohio, November 19, 1832. He is the son of Peter and Margaret Menager. His mother is one of the most remarkable women living. She is eighty-one years old, can walk three miles easily, never had any use for glasses, and her mind is clear and free from dotage. She takes an interest in all new inventions and worthy enterprises, and talks intelligently on all living themes, both religious and secular. Mr. M. left Ohio in the spring of 1855, and removed to Parkersburg, West Virginia, where he remained until his removal to Kansas, in 1858. He was married in Leavenworth City, to Mrs. Anna J. Trickey (whose maiden name was Marshall), April 23, 1872. His wife is a native of Virginia, and by the second marriage has one child - Elsie Romaine Menager.
JOHN M. SINGER, blacksmith, wagon-maker and fruit-grower, came to Kansas in February, 1857, and located at Ottumwa, Coffey Co., Kansas. Was engaged in farming until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company H, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, December, 1861. He served four years, and was in all the engagements of his command. Was mustered out in the spring of 1865. Was Second Lieutenant, commanding the company the most of the time. He was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., December 25, 1828. His parents were Samuel and Jane Singer. He left Pennsylvania in 1852. After living at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for one year, he went to California, and thence to Coffey County, Kansas. He was married September 13, 1860, to Hannah M. McCombs, by whom he had one child - Carrie Ellen. His first wife dying October 9, 1863, he again married December 25, 1871, Mrs. Mary Downs, a widow lady, whose maiden name was Zoakum. Her native place was Tennessee. She has three children by her first husband-Fannie, Lewis W. and Mollie Downs. Mr. Singer and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a delegate to the State Convention in 1878, and again in 1882.
T. J. STOUT, R. R. and Express Agent, Telegraph operator, Postmaster and grain dealer, came to Kansas November 10, 1868, engaged in railroading till spring of 1869, and then settled in Leavenworth, still in the service of the railroad till March 30, 1870, when he lost his right leg in a railroad accident at Lawrence, Kas., and since his recovery has continued the service at Fairmount as agent. Has been Postmaster since 1872, and Treasurer of his district since 1873. Has also served as Justice of the Peace two terms. He enlisted in the Third New York Marine Artillery, in August, 1861, and served until they were disbanded in March, 1863. He was on the gunboat Centennial, of Burnside's expedition, along the coast of Virginia and North Carolina; was in all the engagements of his command. He re-enlisted in the spring of 1865, in the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, and was mustered out November, 1865. He was born in Fayette County, Ill., November 18, 1841; son of Phillip and Hannah Stout. He left his native place in 1859, and lived at Amboy, Ill., till his removal to Kansas, in 1868. He was married at Fairmount, September 11, 1872, to Lavinia Yocum, daughter of W. C. and Sophia Yocum. She was born in Athens, Ga., July 28, 1848. Their children are Sydney Ray, Charles Edgar, Phillip Ray, Linton Campbell and Andrew J. The first four are still living. Mr. Stout has been honored as Delegate to county and State conventions.
J. H. VAUGHN, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas, March 1, 1864, located where he now lives. He is an old veteran of the Mexican war, having served under Gen. Taylor, taking part in the battle of Buena Vista, and serving two years. He is a native of Scott County, Ky., and was born August 20, 1821. His parents were Jessee and Keziah Vaughn. He left Kentucky, March 6, 1860, and removed to Platte County, Mo., where he remained till 1864, when he came to Kansas. He was married, March 20, 1846, in Owen County, Ky., to Nancy Brumley, daughter of Thomas and Frankie Brumley. He is the father of eleven children - William, Dekalb, Jesse, Jasper Newton, Morris, Polly, Eliza, Mary Jane, John, Albert and Alice.
HENRY F. VOIGT, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Lansing, came to Kansas in 1858, first located at Wyandotte. He commenced in this country at the age of sixteen, without a dollar and in debt for his fare from Germany. He paid the debt and continued to work for wages under William Holmes, proprietor of the hotel in Shawneetown, Johnson County, a minister of the Southern Methodist Church. After four years he worked for John G. Pratt, Indian agent, connected with the Baptist Mission among the Delaware Indians. By enterprise and honest industry he has come to be proprietor of a handsome farm worth $6,000, and has considerable personal property besides. He has been Clerk of his school district for eleven years. He was born in Imbshausen, Province Hanover, Germany, July 23, 1842, and is the son of Andreas and Johannah Voigt. He left Germany in the spring of 1858 and came direct to Kansas. He was married in Leavenworth City, April 26, 1873, to Lizetta Christine Ruppert, who is a native of Alexandria, Va. They have have (sic) five children - Millitta Lazetta, Louisa Maria, Carl Friedrich, Theresa Christine and Edmond Ernst.
FREDERIC WELLHOUSE, fruit grower, Section 3, in Town 9, and Section 2, in Town 10, P. O. Fairmount, came to Kansas in 1859, and located at Pleasant Ridge. He has engaged in fruit growing and sweet potato raising ever since he came to this State. He served as Justice of the Peace in Kickapoo Township, from the spring of 1860 until January, 1862. He was then elected as County Commissioner, and elected as Chairman of the Board until January, 1864. In the fall of 1866, he was elected Representative of Kickapoo Township and served one term. He was a Delegate representing the State of Kansas in the America Pomological meeting at Richmond Va., September, 1871, and again in 1873 at Boston, and the same year made the Kansas exhibit at the New Jersey State Fair, held at the Waverly and also at the American Institute, held in New York City. Our State was awarded premiums in both these exhibitions. First awards at Richmond, Waverly and New York, and the second award at Boston. He is now Treasurer of the State Horticultural Society, having held the position ever since 1873. He was Captain of Company I, Nineteenth Kansas State Militia, for four years; was in active service during the Price raid for about thirty days, and was in the engagement at Westport. He was Director of the State Fair Association one year, and has served in Horticultural Society as Chairman of Board on Orchard Culture for five years. He is now President of Leavenworth County Horticultural Society, having held the office nearly ten years. He was born in Wayne County, Ohio, November 16, 1828, the son of William and Hannah Wellhouse. He moved to Summit County in 1835, and in 1835, went to Christian County, Ill. He moved to Indianapolis in 1858, and in company with I. N. Ray, edited and published the Indiana Farmer one year. In 1859, he came to Kansas and settled at Pleasant Ridge, and moved to Leavenworth City, in 1867. He now lives near Fairmount, and in company with L. B. Wheat and his son Walter, is proprietor of the largest apple orchard in the world, containing 437 acres and embracing 50,000 trees, all winter varieties. He has a very extensive warehouse at Fairmount, 48x72 feet, two stories and basement, used for storing and packing apples. He has manufactured this year 40,000 gallons of cider, and has gathered for shipment 11,000 bushes of apples. He marketed cider and apples in Denver. He was married in Medina County, Ohio, January 16, 1848, to Susan Hously, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Hously. Mrs Wellhouse was born in Stark County, Ohio, December 15, 1826. Names of their children are Walter, Mary Celestia, Horace M. and Cora A.