|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MADDEN - OWEN).
JOHN P. MADDEN, proprietor of painting and glazing establishment, came to Kansas in 1859; remained for a short time and returned again in 1861, and has been engaged in his present business since he located here, in 1861. Is a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association; is a native of Ireland, born in September, 1838. Was nine years old when he came to this country. Has lived in Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and Louisiana. Was married in Leavenworth, Kan., in April, 1868, to Miss Mary Keating, who was born in Ireland. They had eight children, seven of whom are now living, viz: Mary, Anna, Katy, Alice, Thomas, Gerty and Stella. Mr. Madden has been a member of the Kansas Militia.
LIEUT.-COL. DAVID L. MAGRUDER, Surgeon U. S. A., Medical Director of the Department of the Missouri, was born in Maryland; appointed from Virginia, February 1, 1850, Assistant-Surgeon with rank of First Lieutenant; promoted to rank of Captain February 1, 1855 and Major Surgeon April 16, 1862; Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel, March 13, 1865, for faithful and meritorious services during the war. The doctor was stationed at St. Louis from the spring of 1877 to the spring of 1880, when he came to Fort Leavenworth, as Medical Director of the Department of the Missouri; was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel June 30, 1882.
JOHN J. MALONE, with H. W. Gillett, wholesale dealer in liquors, is a native of Bucks County, Pa., and came to Kansas in 1856 with his people, at the age of seven years. Since arriving at manhood he has been identified, with the liquor interests of the place, and has been actively connected with the wholesaling of it since 1881. Mathew Malone, father of John J. Malone, was born in Anthione, Ireland, in 1826, and came to America with his people at the age of twelve years, who settled in Bucks County, Pa. After coming here was actively engaged in contracting until the Rebellion, when, as an avowed Free-states man, he entered the service of his State in Company C, First Kansas, as Second Lieutenant, and remained in active service until 1863, when, on account of wounds received in action, he resigned as First Lieutenant, Company C. After the war he accepted a position on the civic police force, with which he remained until 1878. In December of that year he departed this life, and is buried in Calvary Cemetery here.
M. MANDY, general groceries, was born in Belgium in 1837, and came to America in 1851 with his people, who settled in New York State, where he was reared and educated. In 1857 he came West, and after traveling through the Western States he enlisted in Chicago in the United States military service; was mustered in in (sic) St. Louis, and appointed here. After doing service in Colorado, he returned in 1865, and followed carpentering business till 1867. He then took up mercantile business in East Leavenworth, and carried it on till 1869. He then returned here and has been actively connected with his trade and mercantile business principally since. In 1877 he married Mrs. Clara Smith, a native of Germany. They have a family of four sons and four daughters.
HON. NEWTON MANN, Probate Judge, was born in Harlem Township, Delaware Co., Ohio, March 19, 1844. He received his collegiate education at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and commenced teaching when he was seventeen. In August, 1866, he located in Leavenworth County, five miles from Leavenworth City, and until 1870 was employed in teaching and studying law, commencing practice however in 1868. In 1870 he removed to Tonganoxie, and was Police Judge there one year, and then City Clerk until the summer of 1876, practicing law in the meantime. In the fall of 1876 he was elected Probate Judge, and in the following December removed to Leavenworth. He held the position two years, and was again elected to the same place in 1880. He was married in Union City, Ind., in December, 1870, to Elizabeth H. Wambaugh, a native of Franklin County, Ohio. They buried their oldest child, Mabel, when thirteen months old. Their living children are: Otis Eugene, Newton Earle and Gertrude Ellen. Judge Mann is a member of the Christian Church, and of I. O. O. F.
NATHAN A. MANN, attorney, came to Leavenworth July 9, 1877, and since that time has been continuously engaged in the practice of his profession in the city. He was associated with his brother, Newton, in business until the latter was elected Probate Judge. Mr. Mann was born in Centerville, Delaware Co., Ohio, August 24, 1854, and was educated at Audubon University, from which institution he graduated in 1874, and at Michigan University, graduating from the law department of the latter in the class of 1877. He is a member of A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. Metropolitan Lodge, Independent Order of American Citizens and Fidelity Phi, a legal association, being the only member of the latter society in Kansas.
CHARLES G. MANLOVE, agent of the United States and Pacific Express Companies; appointed to present position in March, 1879. Mr. Manlove was born in Madison, Jefferson Co., Ind., December 4, 1843. In 1844 his parents located in Lafayette County, Wis. About 1850 they moved to Sheboygan, Wis., and a short time afterward settled in Rockford, Ill. Charles G. received his education in the latter city. In 1863 he enlisted for three years in Battery E, First Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery, and served until the close of the war. He returned to Rockford, and a short time afterward went to Chicago, where he engaged in clerking. In 1867 he moved to Kansas City, where he became connected with the United States Express Company, remaining with the company there in different positions until 1870. The next three years was engaged in the mercantile business in Kansas City, closing out in 1873. He went to Chicago and was again connected with the United States Express Company. In 1876 moved to St. Joseph, Mo., to take position there as cashier for the express company, where he remained until he moved to Leavenworth to take present position, in March, 1879. Mr. Manlove was first married October 8, 1871, to Miss Annie E. Smith, in Kansas City, Mo., by whom he had one child, Jennie J. After the death of his first wife, he was again married in Fort Madison, Iowa, January 10, 1879, to Miss Emma E. Zimmerman, of that place. He has three children - Jennie J., Charles G., Jr., and Arthur N. Mr. M. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of King Solomon Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
GEORGE W. MANLEY, engineer, was born in Knox County, Ill., in 1854, and located in Kansas in 1865, at the age of ten years. Mr. Manley began as fireman on railway engine, and continued as fireman and engineer, principally upon K. C. R'y, for eight years. He then took a train as conductor, and remained as such for two years, when, on account of disabilities, he took up stationary engine work, and has continued at it since. In 1881 he married Miss Cora E. Weisman, a native of Vinton County, Ohio.
FERDINAND MARCHEFKE, grocer, came to Kansas in 1859, and located in Leavenworth. He afterward went to Niles, Mich., and remained there until 1861, when he enlisted in the Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry and fought with that regiment during the war and re-enlisted as a veteran. He was wounded on the 17th day of June, 1862, near Malvern Hill, Va., and on the 30th day of June, 1864, before Peterburgh, Va. At the close of the war, in 1866, he came to Kansas, and engaged in his present business. He is a member of K. of P., Red Men, and the Workingmen societies, and the G. A. R. He is a native of Russia, and was twenty-four years old when he came to America, and has resided in Michigan and Kansas. He was married in Leavenworth, in 1878, to Miss Amanda Goertz. They have had four children - Adaline, William, Annie and Clara.
F. G. MARKART, salesman of the lumber industry of A. J. Angell, was born in Saxony, Germany, in 1845, and came to America in 1860, and settled in Muscatine, Iowa, where he was reputably connected with his present industry until 1878, when he located here and has been prominently identified with the present firm since. In 1867 he married Miss Margaret Haigh, a native of Pennsylvania. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Mary, Emma, Louis and Frank. Mr. Markart did active service during the war in Company C, Thirty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Has been in active connection as a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. societies for several years.
FRANK W. MARSHALL agent American Sewing Machines, and the Montreal Singer. - also dealer in new and secondhand books. Business established in 1870. Mr. Marshall was born in Binghamton, N. Y., May 8, 1838. His parents moved to Eaton Co., Mich., in 1838, and 1848 settled in Ohio. Frank W. was then engaged in millwrighting business. During the war was connected with the Sanitary Commission, and served for three months as a volunteer in the Nineteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. In 1863 he settled in eavenworth (sic), where he engaged in printing for a number of years, and then established present business. Mr. Marshall was married in Leavenworth, Kansas, January 11, 1865, to Miss Mary C. Wagh, of that city. She died leaving one child, Frank A. He was married in Leavenworth, February 11, 1869, to Miss Euphronia Syfritt. They have three children - Willie J. P., Mary E. and Martha J.
REV. H. C. MARSHALL, Pastor of the United Presbyterian Church, took present charge in October, 1879. Mr. Marshall was born in Beaver Co., Pa., May 4, 1849. His first studies were in Beaver Academy, in his native county. He then spent one year at Tiell College, at Greenville, Pa., and finished his classical studies at Westminster College, New Wilmington, Pa. In 1876 he entered the Union Seminary, at New York City, where he took a full theological course, graduating in 1879. Immediately after moved to Kansas. Mr. Marshall was married in Leavenworth, August 2, 1882, to Miss Allie, a daughter of J. E. Brown, Esq., of Leavenworth.
LEWIS MAYO, dealer in farm machinery, located in Leavenworth in May, 1866. In July of the same year he engaged in the grocery trade, in which he continued until 1878, when he commenced his present business, dealing in all kinds of agricultural and farm implements - wholesale and retail. Mr. Mayo was born in Alboin (Little Britain), Edwards Co., Ill., August 17, 1840. In 1858 he removed from his native place to Wayne County, Ill., where he remained until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, Eighty-Seventh Illinois Volunteers, as a private, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and then to Captain, and remained in active service until February, 1865, when he received his discharge on account of disability caused by wounds received at the mouth of White River, having prior to his discharge participated in all the battles in which his command had been engaged. From April, 1864, to October of same year, he served as Brigade Adjutant. From the time of leaving the service until he located in Leavenworth, he was employed in the Treasury Department at Washington, D. C. Mr. Mayo is a director of the German Bank, a director of the Board of Trade; has been a member of the Board of Education for the last four years, and is now serving on his second term. He is a member of the G. A. R. and of I. O. O. F. He was married at Palmer's Corners, Monroe Co., N. Y., March 11, 1874, to Miss Flora L. Allen, of Genesee County, N. Y. They have three children: Alfred D., Walter L. and Samuel M.
J. P. MARSHALL, dealer in roasted coffee, teas, spices, and general groceries, business established 1868. Mr. Marshall is a native of Pittsburg, Pa., and entered the mercantile business in 1851, as clerk, at the age of twelve years, in his native State, and followed it there till 1856, when he came here, and was in active connection with it till 1858, when he went to the mountains and followed mercantile business and mining successfully there for a few years, when he returned here and carried on an art gallery till 1868, when he established the present business, with which he has been almost continuously connected since. The business in which Mr. Marshall was then dealing was general groceries but latterly has engaged in teas and roasting coffees, of which he makes a specialty. In 1871 he established a business in general merchandise in Arkansas City, Kansas, which he able conducted for a few years, during which time he was prevailed upon to enter upon the purchase of the site of the present famous Gueda Mineral Springs, which he has been very active in developing to the public benefit, and which promise so highly and have already accomplished such favorable results to invalids of all classes.
DR. S. A. MARSHALL, retired, was born in Boston, Mass., in 1881, and received his literary education in Maine. At the age of nineteen he took up the study of his profession, and began the practice in Pennsylvania, which he carried on actively until 1856, when he located in this city, and has been prominently identified with it ever since. In 1837 he married Miss Mary A. Reeder, a native of Pennsylvania. They have a family of four sons and five daughters living. Dr. Marshall has always taken an active part in the growth and development of the church and school life of Leavenworth since locating here. He was instrumental in establishing the First Christian Church here, and preached the first sermon in that connection in the State. He organized the first board of school trustees and assisted in every way the growth of that interest in this city. He was Captain of the old Guards in early times here, and during the war received the appointment of Post Provost Marshall during the Price raid, of the Post of Leavenworth City.
H. MILES MOORE, one of the pioneers of Leavenworth County, and one of the original proprietors of the town of Leavenworth, was born September 2, 1826, in the village of Brockport, N. Y. Left an orphan when only one year of age, he nevertheless in his youth received the advantage of a common school education, and in later years an academic course at Clarkson and Brockport Academies. He commenced his legal studies at Clarkson and completed his course with Messrs. Lee & Farrer, of Rochester, N. Y., being admitted to the bar in the latter city in 1848. Mr. Moore then emigrated to the South, and from 1848 to 1850 was engaged in the practice of law in Louisiana; thence he removed to Weston, Platte Co., Mo., and in addition to his professional duties, was a member of the editorial staff of the Weston Reporter. In 1854 he removed to the Territory of Kansas, at the time of his removal sympathizing with the South and believing in her institutions. Mr. Moore did not shut his eyes to the outrages he witnessed in those early days, nor did he refuse to draw just and independent conclusions of his own, and accordingly, he says, took his position as an active, influential champion of Free-state principles and policy. In 1855, on the adoption of the Topeka constitution, he was elected Attorney General of the Territory, and in 1857 a representative to the Legislature of Leavenworth County. He was again Representative in 1868, and the same year was elected City Attorney of Leavenworth, being three times re-elected and several times appointed to the same position. He is an active and prominent member of the Democratic party, having been Secretary of the State Democratic Committee eight years. He early became a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was one of the incorporators of Leavenworth Lodge No. 2, A. F. & A. M. Mr. Moore was married September 15, 1857, to Miss Linna F. Kehoe, who was born at Fairfax Court House, Va., reared and educated in Washington, D. C., and is a graduate of Georgetown Convent. They have one child, Harry M. He has a large and lucrative law practice. He was the candidate of the Democratic party in Kansas at the late election (1882) for Attorney General for the State, and was only defeated by a few thousand votes in a State of 40,000 Republican majority; he carried his own county by nearly 2,000 majority. He is one of the live, energetic, men of the State, highly respected and esteemed by all parties. His long and active experience and strict political integrity, places him in the front rank as one of the political leaders of his part in the State. He is frequently called the Old War Horse of the party. No man in the city of Leavenworth has done more to advance her interest since the day of her first settlement up to the present hour than Mr. Moore. In religious belief Mr. Moore is an active member of the Episcopal Church.
CHRISTIAN MEYER, general groceries, was born in Prussia, in 1826, and was connected with grocery bnsiness (sic) there till 1855, when he came to America, and after traveling through the country, he settled here April 9, 1857, and has been actively connected with the grocery business since. In 1864 he married Miss Catherine Heller, a native of Wurteinburg, Germany, who came to America in 1864, aged twenty-four years. They have one daughter - Sophia. Mr. Meyer has by steady and persistent industry raised his business from a very small one to a splendid trade, and has secured a very valuable competency in buildings and dwellings here.
CAPT. LAFAYETTE MILLS, deceased, was born and reared in Schuyler Co., N. Y., in 1852, and at the age of twenty-five years he located here, and soon after received an appointment as Chief Clerk of the Quartermaster's Department, of the Department of the Missouri, with which incumbency he was reputably connected until 1864, when he resigned his position and engaged in dealing in Government vouchers, which he ably carried on for several years. In 1873, October 1, he departed this life, and is buried in Mount Muncie Cemetery, leaving an honorable record as an intelligent official and a benevolent citiz n (sic). He always took an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of Leavenworth since his coming here. He was an active member of the A. F. & A. M. society for several years, of which he was at his death a Knight Templar. Mrs. Catherine Mills, nee Mills, was born and reared in Schuyler Co. N. Y., and was married to deceased May 26, 1847, and shared with him in his early life here. She has two daughters - Virginia, now Mrs. Lieut. Frank Halsey Mills, of Fort Dill, I. T., and Katie now Mrs. McCown Hunt, of Leavenworth.
JAMES MORNING, superintendent of the Leavenworth Woolen Mills, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1840. His parents came to the United States in 1850, and settled in New Hampshire. The subject of this sketch commenced his experience in his present business in that State, holding different positions in the woolen mills, and afterwards moved to Rhode Island and New Jersey. He enlisted in 1861 in Company D., First Regiment, Rhode Island Volun eers (sic) for three months, served out his time and again enlisted in 1863 in the Second Regiment, New Jersey Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He returned to New Jersey and resumed his business. In 1868 he moved to Illinois to take the position of superintendent of the Aurora Woolen Mills. In 1873 he removed to Kansas to take charge of the Buell Manufacturing Co.'s Woolen Mills a (sic) Blue Rapids. He has since held the same position in mills in Connecticut. He was appointed to the present position in the spring of 1882. Mr. Morning was married in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1866, to Miss Annie Furey of that city. They have three children, Carrie A., Flora I. and Albert B. Mr. M. is Past Chan. of the K. of P. of Blue Rapids, Kan.
ANDREW MUNSCH, proprietor of the French hotel, corner Second and Shawnee streets, was born on the 30th of November, 1821, in Oderen, Canton St. Mary, Arrondissement Belfor, department Haut-Rhin. He was educated in the weaving business. From 1842 to 1844, he was in the service of the French army. From 1844 to 1855, he was foreman in his business. In 1846 he married Emily Schaller. In 1855 he emigrated to this country, and located in Vincennes, Ind., and worked as a carpenter. In 1857 he came to Leavenworth and worked as a carpenter. In 1860 he went to Denver, Col., and in 1862 he enlisted there in the Second Colorado Cavalry volunteers, and was honorably discharged in 1865. On account of wounds and disability received in service, he was unfit for his profession, and he opened a saloon and restaurant. His wife died in 1875 in Leavenworth, leaving two children, Phillbert and Marie Munsch, now in San Francisco, California. In 1879 he married Mr. M rgaret (sic) Niehaus nee Hellman, who had three children by her former marriage, Frederick, El?ce and John Niehaus. He has had, by his second wife, two children, Theresia Rosa and Marie Magdalena Munsch. Mr. Andrew Munsch is a member of Custer Post No. 6, G. A. R.
STEPHEN NAEHER, dealer in hats, caps and general merchandise, boots and shoes, groceries, notions, queensware, liquors and cigars, at the corner of Fourth and Elm streets. Mr. Naeher came to Kansas September 23, 1872, and located in Leavenworth, and has remained here since. Mr. Naeher is a native of Baden, Germany, was born December 24, 1855, and was sixteen years old when he came to America and located in the city of Leavenworth. He was married in Leavenworth, November 3, 1881, to Miss Rosie Rapp, who was born in Lexington, Mo. They have one child, an infant, Amelia. Mr. Naeher is one of the most promising and prosperous young business men in Leavenworth. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the Turner's Society.
S. F. NEELY, M. D. is a native of Saycock Township, Lancaster Co., Pa. He was educated at Pennsylvania College, and at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from the former in March, 1861, and from the latter in March, 1865. He commenced the practice of medicine in York County, Pa., and at the breaking out of the war was Examining Surgeon for the first draft made at Gettysburg, and Acting Surgeon of the One Hundred and Sixty-Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was afterwards connected with Gen. Sherman's army, doing hospital duty at Jeffersonville, Ind., and Kingston, Ga., as Assistant Surgeon of Volunteers. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania he practiced in Chester County, Pa, until he moved to Kansas and settled at Leavenworth, in April, 1869. Dr. Neely is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society, and was first President of Eastern District Medical Association of Kansas. He is also a member of the orders of A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of P., K. of H., American Legion of Honor and the Kansas Benevolent Society.
GEORGE W. NELLES, agent K. C. St. Jo. & C. B. R. R., was appointed to the present position in 1872, and has since retained it. Mr. Nelles was born in Hamilton, Canada, September 7, 1831. He was educated in his native town. In 1853 he moved to Peru, Ill., and two years later to Muscatine, Iowa. He was engaged in the mercantile business in these cities. In 1857 he moved to Kansas and settled in Leavenworth. In 1859 he was appointed general agent in Leavenworth of the H. & St. Jo. R. R., a position he filled up to 1872. Mr. Nelles was married in Peru, Ill., December 20, 1854, to Miss Virginia Hobbs, of Peru. They have two children, George T. and Edwin R. Mr. N. is a prominent member of the Episcopal Church. He has been senior warden for fifteen years. He is also a member of the K. of H., and is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
F. P. NEWMAN, master car builder, Kansas Central Division of the U. P. R. R., was appointed to the present position May 1, 1882. Mr. Newman was born in Wyandotte County Kan., June 18, 1857. The first white boy born in that county. His parents settled in Quindaro, Wyandotte County, in 1857, and moved to Wyandotte in 1860. F. P. was educated in Wyandotte. In 1873 he went into the K. P. R. R. shops in that town. The shops were moved to Armstrong, Kan., in 1874. He continued with this company as pattern maker and car builder until appointed to the present position. Mr. Newman was married in Wyandotte, Kan., in October, 1878, to Miss Etta Johnston, of Lafayette, Ind. They have two children, Leroy Corwin and Earl.
PHIL J. O'NEIL, mechanical engineer, and head draughtsman of the great Western Manufacturing Company, is a native of Dublin, Ireland, was born in 1844, and came to America in 1846 with his people, who settled in Ohio, where he was reared and educated. His literary education was obtained at the public schools of that State, and he completed his profession of machinist in 1862, when he engaged in the war and did active service until its end, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he turned his attention to his profession and to the study of draughting and millwright work. In 1870 he located in Osborne County, Kan., and was active there until 1875, when he accepted his present position, which he has very reputably held since. In 1872 he married Miss Sarah L. Se?rs, a native of Wisconsin. They have one son and one daughter, Grace and Eddie. He has been an active member of the A. F. & A. M. Society since 1872, and of the K. of H. Society since it organization.
J. W. NIEHAUS, county clerk, was born September 1, 1842, in St. Louis, Mo., living in that city until he enlisted, in the spring of 1863, in the Eighth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He afterwards r??sed Company B, of the Fortieth Missouri Infantry, of which he was commissioned Second Lieutenant, in the spring of 1864, and served in that position until he was mustered out, August 10, 1865. After remaining a short time in St. Louis, he came to Leavenworth, September 19, 1865, and was engaged in business about six years; was then deputy county clerk six years, and is now serving his third term as county clerk. He was married in Leavenworth, January 6, 1870, to Miss Clara T. Webster, a native of Vermont; they have one child, Kate Webster.
STEPHEN L. NORTH came to Leavenworth March 14, 1857, and until 1867 was principally engaged in real estate operations and farming. In 1867-68 he engaged in manufacturing buggies and carriages in connection with Nelson Jennings, and for the last nine years has been in the carriage manufacturing at the penitentiary. About 275 vehicles per year are turned out, principally for the Texas trade. Some fifty men are employed - forty-five convicts and five others. Mr. North was born in Olive, Ulster Co., N. Y. January 2, 1827. In 1853 he removed to Illinois, residing one year in Chicago and one year in Aurora. He was married in Olive, Ulster Co., N. Y., to Imogene D. L. Montanya, who died April 3, 1854 leaving one child, Uriah C., who is superintendent of the manufacturing business at the penitentiary. In 1855 Mr. North was marr ed (sic) to Maria J. Purdy, of Greene County, N. Y. Their four children are - George Willis, Edward W., Marion I. and Frederick A. Mr. and Mrs. North are both energetic and outspoken temperance workers. Mr. North being a member of the various temperance societies in the city, and an honorary member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Mrs. North is one of the most active members of the latter society, being largely instrumental in establishing and maintaining the library and reading room connected with the W. C. T. U. of Leavenworth.
C. E. OWEN, freight agent of the L., T. & S. W. R. R. Appointed to present position August 19, 1882. Mr. Owen was born in Clarinda, Page County, Iowa, December 2, 1857. His parents moved to Albia, Iowa, in 1862. He commenced the study of telegraphy at Hastings, Neb., in 1871, in the railroad office. In the fall of 1876, went to Lincoln to take the position of cashier in the freight office of the A. & N. Division of the B. & M. R. R. The following year was appointed agent of the K. C., St. Jo. & C. B. R. R., at East Leavenworth. In 1878, was appointed agent of the Kansas Central Railroad at Leavenworth, a position he retained until 1881. In November, 1881, took a position on the A., T. & S. F. R. R. as agent at Halstead, Kansas, where he remained until appointed to present position. Mr. Owen was married in Leavenworth, Kansas, August 4, 1878, to Miss Dora Cawthorn, of that city. They have one child - Percy LeForest. Mr. O. is a member of the K. of H. of Leavenworth.