|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (LAMB - MCNARY).
JOHN LAMB, market master of the city of Leavenworth, came to Kansas November 19, 1863, and located in Leavenworth, and has lived here since. He has been engaged in raising and moving buildings. He is a native of England, and was born May 21, 1830. He lived in England about twelve years before coming to America, and was a sailor for about fourteen years. Mr. Lamb has lived in the States of Illinois and Kansas, and was a member of the Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and served with that regiment up to 1863, and was discharged on account of disability. He was married in Leavenworth Kas., February 22, 1865, to Miss Martha Stephenson, who was born in Pennsylvania. They have had five children, all of whom are living - Leonard, Martha, Fred, Pauline and Clara.
J. B. LAMBER, proprietor of the Planters' House, was born in New York City, July 24, 1828. He was educated in that city, and commenced business in the service of the Adams Express Company, on the route from New York to Buffalo. In 1852, he went to Australia in the service of the company; the express proving a failure, he established a stage line from Melbourne to Bendigo. He continued in this business until 1857. He then returned to the United States, landing in New York City. The same year he moved to Kansas and settled in Leavenworth, where he established a freighting line across the plains. In 1864, he sold out and organized the firm of Lamber, Rick & Co. Mr. Lamber was married in Bethany, Genesee Co., N. Y., January 15, 1866, to Miss Mary Smith, of Bethany. They have one son - John B. Mr. L. is a member of the Episcopal Church, and of Leavenworth Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
JAS. A. LANE, M. D., came to Leavenworth in March, 1874, to attend school. He was born in Rio, Columbia Co., Wis., November 20, 1853, and when fourteen years old removed to Missouri, residing there until he came to Leavenworth. Her was educated in the High School of Cameron, Mo., graduating from the Kansas Normal School of Leavenworth in 1876, and the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in March, 1881. He was Principal of the Morris public schools of Leavenworth, and resigned that position after being elected for two consecutive years to accept the professorship of Natural Science and Mathematics in the Kansas State Normal School at Paola. This position he left to attend medical lectures in Philadelphia after reading with Dr. Neely. He is now associated with Dr. Neely in practice, and is lecturer on anatomy in the Kansas City Medical College. Dr. Lane is a member of the Academy of Science of the National American Association, the American Legion of Honor, Kansas Benevolent Society, State, District and County Medical, and other kindred societies.
HERMAN F. LANG, is a member of the wholesale saddlery, hardware and leather house of Lang, Lobenstein & King. Mr. Lang came to Kansas, in October, 1876, and located in Leavenworth and was in the employ of W. C. Lobenstein, on Cherokee street. After the latter's retirement from business, in 1879, the firm of Lang, Lobenstein & King, was organized. Mr. Lang is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Metropolitan Guards, of the city of Leavenworth. He is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and was born in 1858, and resided in Ohio about eighteen years. He then came to Kansas, and was married in Leavenworth City, in December, 1881, to Miss Kate Dickson, who was born in Leavenworth. The firm with which Mr. Lang is identified, are manufacturers of saddles and harnesses, and are supplying the United States Government with their shoe material for the entire standing army. Mr. Lang is at the head of one of the most enterprising wholesale houses in the State of Kansas, and is one of the most prominent and promising young business men of the State.
ADOLF LANGE, druggist, came to Kansas in April, 1866, and located at Leavenworth' (sic) and was employed as a clerk with Theo. Egersdorff for a year, and afterwards as a clerk in the subsistence department of the U. S. A. until 1880, being employed at Ft. Leavenworth, St. Louis and New York City. Since then he has been in business for himself. He was born in Saxony, January 15, 1844, and emigrated to America in 1862. From September of that year until the close of the war he served in the U. S. Army, mostly in Company A. Fourteenth New York Cavalry, participating in twenty-seven engagements, and remaining for three months as prisoner in Andersonville, Libby and Belle Isle prisons, having been captured near Clinton, La., in 1863. He was hospital steward at the St. Louis General Hospital at New Orleans, during the last year of his term of service. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of H., Legion of Honor, and of the Kansas State Pharmaceutical Society.
AUGUST LANGE, dealer in liquors, was born in Brandenburg, Germany, in 1833, and came to America in 1855, and to Kansas in 1857, and began cigar business, with which he was connected for eighteen years, after which he engaged at his present business, which he has ably conducted since. In 1858, he married Miss Rosalia Weinke, who was born in Posen, Germany, in 1840. They have buried their only child, Herman, in the Wyandotte Cemetery. Mr. Lange is an active member of the I. O. O. F., and the Turner societies here, and has always taken an active part in the development of string and brass band organizations, from which his place is known as the "Bands' Hall."
FRITZ LANGE, of the firm of Kauffman & Lange, brass foundry and novelty works, was born in Prussia, in 1830, and learned his profession as machinist there. In 1854, he came to America, and followed his business in St. Louis till 1857, when he came here, and was actively connected with his profession for a few years, when he went into the cigar business, and carried it on for fifteen years, after which he engaged at present business. In 1864, he married Miss Sophia Helmers, born in Prussia in 1839, and who departed this life in 1875, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, leaving one daughter, Sophia. In 1880, he married Miss Mary Blettermann, a native of Prussia. They have one son, Robert. Mr. Lange has been an active member of the A. O. U. W., Turn Verein, and Sick Relief societies.
HON. SAMUEL LATTA, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Kansas, and emigrated to this State on the passage of the Kansas and Nebraska Bill. There were none more devoted to the cause of liberty and freedom than Judge Latta, one of the Supreme Judges of the State of Kansas, elected under the Topeka constitution. Judge Latta was born in Ross County, Ohio, January 1, 1820. He was of Scotch-Irish descent. His father was a mechanic and woolen manufacturer, and carried on farming in Louisa County, Iowa, to which place he emigrated in 1839. His son, the subject of this sketch, had a common school education. When he reached the age of manhood he studied law, and attended law school, and graduated at the Cincinnati College in 1849, and was admitted to practice in the Supreme Courts of the States of Ohio and Iowa. He practiced law in these States until he removed to Kansas, in April 1855. On removing to Kansas, he purchased a claim adjoining the city of Leavenworth. During the summer of 1855, he was recognized as a leader of the Free-state party. Judge Latta was a member of the convention, and was nominated for the elected one of the Supreme Judges of the State of Kansas. In 1871, he was elected to the House of Representatives from the city of Leavenworth, and re-elected in 1873, and was recognized as one of the most influential and useful members of that body. Judge Latta has been engaged in dealing in real estate, is which he has done a large business. He spent some time in California in 1876. He believed in the Christian religion, and was brought up a Presbyterian. He was originally a Whig, but became a Republican on the organization of that party. He was married in Louisa County, Iowa, to Miss Sarah Ann Thompson. By this marriage he had six children - Edward T., Belle, Mary, Ann, Eliza, and Anna. Judge Latta was again married, to Mrs. Nina Irwin, born in Pennsylvania, October 23, 1833; was married in January, 1863; they had three children - Samuel S., jr., (sic) who died in July, 1865; William Bell, and Nina Lee Maud. Judge Latta was Indian Agent for seven years, under Lincoln's administration. Judge Latta was a devoted husband and a loving father, and his death, which occurred from heart disease, in Leavenworth, the 10th day of May, 1880, not only brought sorrow and sadness to his own household, but great loss to the State that he served so faithfully, and to thousands of friends.
REV. J. A. LEAVITT, Pastor First Baptist Church, took present charge May 1, 1880. Mr. Leavitt was born in Governeur, St. Lawrence County, N. Y., March 4, 1852. His preparatory studies were pursued at Meriden, N. H., and at Suffield, Conn. The latter is a Baptist school. He then entered Brown University, graduating in 1875. His theological course was taken at the Baptist Theological Seminary at Newton, Mass. Was ordained in Grafton, Vt., June 24, 1876, while in charge of the pastorate. In 1877, was called to Essex, Vt., where he remained three years, doing very successful work. He resided at Essex Junction, where he organized and built a church, at the same time performing his duties in Essex. The failing health of his wife caused him to seek a change of climate. He received a call to Beloit, Kan., in May, 1880. From there he moved to Leavenworth. Mr. Leavitt was married in Providence, R. I., May 31, 1876, to Miss Belle I. Brown, of that city. She died August 9, 1880, leaving one son, Halsey Brown. He was married to his present wife in Collinsville, Ill., December 29, 1881. She was Miss Lillie H. Lewen, of Collinsville, Ill. Mr. Leavitt is editor and proprietor of the Leavenworth Baptist, formerly called the Solomon Valley Baptist, a monthly publication devoted to church matters. The circulation now reaches about 5,000 copies.
JAMES LEEK, engineer, is a native of Schuyler County, N. Y., and was educated to the trade of carpenter, which he abandoned at the age of thirty years, and took up his present profession, which he has actively followed since. In 1865, he married Miss Mary S. Newman, a native of Yates County, N. Y. They have two sons and two daughters - Addie, Fred, Charlie, and Nellie. In 1877 he located here. In 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Third New York Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until 1863, when he was honorably discharged. He is a member of Custer Post, No. 6, G. A. R.
THOMAS LEONARD came to Kansas in April, 1857, and made his first location at Wyandotte, where he remained three years, and then removed to Leavenworth and engaged in carpentering until 1869, erecting many of the early buildings in the city. From 1868 to 1870 he was Under Sheriff, when, the sheriff having died, he was elected his successor, and was re-elected in 1872. He was proprietor of the Mansion House form 1874 to 1877, and then engaged in his present business - wholesale and retail crockery and lamps. He is a native of Ireland, but was reared in Vermont, from the age of five years, until he migrated to Wisconsin, and settled at Troy, Walworth County, in 1854, from which place he came to Kansas. He was married at Junction City, Kas., to Miss Emma M. Hoyt, a native of Kansas. They have one child, Florence Rose.
GEORGE LINCK, proprietor Leavenworth Bottling Company, agent for Anheuser Busch, St. Louis lager beer, and manufacturer of soda and mineral water, and bottler of ale and porter. Business established in 1876. Mr. L. has been alone since March, 1882. He employs about twelve men, and receives about eight cars of beer monthly, bottling about sixty-five dozen daily. Mr. Linck was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany, January 27, 1849. He was educated in Germany, and studied bookkeeping, and learned the dry goods business. Came to the United States in 1867, and located in Baltimore for a time. In 1868, moved to Kansas, settling in Leavenworth, where he entered the employ of Rohifing & Co. as bookkeeper, remaining with this firm about six years. He then took a position with Scott & Co., brewers, where he remained until present business was established. Mr. L. was married in Leavenworth, February 4, 1872, to Miss Bertha Roenspies, a native of West Prussia. They have five children - Theodore, George, Otto, Annie and Charley. Mr. L. is a member of Concordia Lodge, No. 8, K. of P.; Allemania Lodge, No. 123, I. O. O. F.; of the Turn Ve-rein, and of the Leavenworth Singing Society.
J. H. LYON, agent of the Bee Line, was appointed to present position in 1866. Mr. Lyon was born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 7, 1842. He was educated in his native city. In 1858 he moved West and settled in Leavenworth, Kas. The same year became connected with a freight department on a line of steamers between St. Joseph, Mo., and Leavenworth, operated by the H. & St. Joe R. R. In 1861 he assisted in raising the first regiment, Kansas Colored Volunteers. Was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company B. At the close of the winter of 1862 he resigned and returned to Leavenworth, where he resumed his position in the depot of H. & St. Joe R. R., under G. W. Nelles, and remained connected with department until appointed agent of the Bee Line. Mr. Lyon was married in Leavenworth, May 7, 1863, to Miss Lucy C. Ketner, of that city. They have four children - Hartwell N., Jessie, Lottie and Pierson C. Mr. Lyon is a very prominent member of the K. of P. He is a member of the Subordinate and Grand Lodges and was supreme representative to the Supreme lodge of the K. of P., held in Detroit in 1882. He is Past Grand Chancellor, having held all subordinate offices. He is also a member of the Leavenworth Lodge, No. 1285, K. of H.
J. LYON, carriage manufacturer. Light carriages and buggies a specialty. Business established 1875. Mr. Lyon is a native of County Kerry, Ireland. Was born in 1838 and came to America in 1850, and located in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where he took up his present business as carriage painter at the age of seventeen. In 1865 and after his honorable discharge from the active military service of his country, he located here and has been very successfully connected with his business since. In 1875 he established the present business, which he has so enlarged upon as to more than double in annual trade the amount of his first few years' sales.
JAMES McAULIFFE, deputy county clerk, has been a resident of Leavenworth since January, 1871. For eight years he was employed as a teacher at the Cathedral, and since that time he has held his present office. He was born in County Limerick, Ireland, June 20, 1848, emigrated in 1868, and on arriving in America, located at St. Joseph, Mo., and resided in that city until his removal to Kansas. He was married in Leavenworth, February 22, 1874, to Anna Sullivan, a native of County Kerry, Ireland. They have three children - Mary Margaret, James A. and William A. Mr. McAuliffe is a member of the Catholic Church, President of the Hibernian Catholic Benevolent Society. Prefect of the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Member of the Catholic Knights of America, and Director of the Diocesan Mutual Life Insurance Union of Leavenworth.
A. G. McCORMICK, express and transfer, is a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., located here in 1876, and has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1878 he married Miss Sadie Reynolds, a native of Logan County, Ill. They have one little girl - Blanche.
JOHN McCORMICK, contractor and builder, was born in County Longford, Ireland, June 20, 1834. In 1849 he came to America and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, and learned his trade of bricklayer there and carried it on there for several years. He afterwards carried it on in Chicago, Rock Island and Davenport, locating here in 1858. In 1871 he established his present brick manufactory. His business gives employment to fourteen workmen in the brick manufacture and ten workmen as builders; builds about ten buildings and turns out about 1,000,000 bricks per annum. In 1859 he married Miss Margaret McCormick, of his native country, born in 1838. They have a family of two sons and four daughters - Mary J., Annie Richard, Louisa, Maggie and Willie. Mr. McCormick has been an active worker in the development of the public and social life of Leavenworth since coming here. Has served as County Commissioner and has been active in many minor positions.
JOHN M. McCORMICK, M. D., located in Leavenworth, May 10, 1862, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine since that time. During the war he was a member of the State board of medical examiners of applicants for military positions, was surgeon for a time of the Third Wisconsin, when it was stationed at Leavenworth, and participated in the Price campaign. He was born in Lockhaven, Clinton Co., Pa., in October, 1825, and received his academic and medical education in his native State. He studied medicine at the Jefferson Medical and the Philadelphia Medical Colleges, graduating from the latter. He commenced the practice of his profession in 1849, in his native county, and has practiced continuously since that time. He was married in Leavenworth, in 1864, to Annie Rigbie Massey, a native of Pennsylvania.
COLLA McCREA, proprietor handle factory, is a native of Orleans County, Vt., and was reared in Montreal, Can., from the age of seven to twelve years, when upon the death of his only relative and sister, he was left upon his own resources, which his subsequent life proved in him a mine equal to the emergency; after a short literary course of study, he entered upon a study for the profession of law, in which, after a course of five year's persistent study, he graduated at Oberline, Ohio, in the class of 46, at the age of twenty-seven years, during which time he was unaided, except by his earnings at the forge of blacksmiths, of which he was a practical hand. After graduating he followed his profession in Iowa for a few years, when he located here June 16, 1854, and engaged in the practice of his profession, with which he was actively engaged at until the breaking out of the war, when, after an active service in the war during 1861, he retired from the service as member of Company L, Second Kansas Cavalry. After the war he engaged at his present business, which he has successfully conducted since. Married in Dubuque, Iowa, Miss Elizabeth Radtray, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, by whom he has one son, Charles J., now employed in the U. P. Ry. (sic) office, St. Louis. Mr. McCrea was an active worker in the early times in Kansas, in the Fre-state (sic) movement' (sic) his voice being the first one raised in that direction here, and the first who stood by those principles so firm in his resistance as to dare even to death. On September 30, 1855, he attended a meeting of the Free-state Squatters, whose resolutions were so strong against the principles of the ruffian party, that a war of words ensued, and finally pistols became the order of the day, during which Mr. McCrea, in self-defense, shot one of the leaders, which resulted so favorably to the cause of the party. He is the author of the term Border Ruffians, having in early times here been an active correspondent to the New York Tribune, whose issues of those times contained such fine descriptions of that element of society here.
P. J. McDONALD, manufacturer of lime and dealer in all kinds of coal and wood, white lime, plaster of Paris, plastering hair, cement, whiting, etc., etc. He employs about six men at his kilns, burning about 50,000 bushels of lime annually. This part of the business was established in 1879. In the coal business he sells anthracite and Leavenworth coals; also Pittsburg and Cumberland blacksmith coals. He handles about fifty cars yearly of the latter, and 120 cars of Leavenworth Hill. Business established in 1865, by R. W. Wood. Mr. McDonald succeeding in 1878. He was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., March 16, 1843. Received his schooling in that city. His parents moved to Kansas in 1858 and settled in Leavenworth. P. J. was engaged in clerking in this city for a time. In 1860 he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he learned the plastering trade. He returned to Leavenworth where he followed this trade until 1878. During this time taking some very large contracts, viz., Court house in Leavenworth, insane asylum, St. Joseph, Mo., and at Lincoln, Neb., and the Union depot, Kansas City. Mr. McDonald was married in Niles, Mich., October 11, 1881, to Miss Amanda Roofe, a native of Indiana. Mr. McDonald is a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Insurance Association.
ROBERT McGINITY, superintendent of the stove and pattern department of the Great Western Manufacturing Company. Is a native of Troy, N. Y., born in 1838, and began the study of stove mounting at the age of nineteen and followed it there actively, first as a journeyman and latterly as contractor in the business, until 1876, when he accepted his present position, which he has reputably held since. September 20, 1856, he married Miss Matilda Ingais, who was born and reared in Cookstown, Ireland. They have one little girl - Annie. Mr. McGinity was an active man in the public life of his former place of residence, and has been an active member of the society of I. O. O. F. since 1870, since which time he has passed through all the orders of the society and the Encampment, and has represented his lodge in the grand councils of the State. Mr. McGinity joined the Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of eleven years, and has been an active and honored member for thirty-three years, holding the position of leader, steward and trustee for twenty-five years.
REV. J. B. McKUNE, Pastor of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, and secretary of the diocese. Came to Kansas in June, 1880, where he became attached to this diocese. Acted as Assistant Pastor until May, 1881, and was then installed as Pastor. Father McKune was born in Scranton, Pa., January 14, 1853. Received his classical education at St. Charles College, near Baltimore, Md., then entered the St. Charles Seminary at Philadelphia, Pa., where he pursued his philosophical and theological studies. He then took a chair in St. Viator's College, Kankakee, Ill. Was ordained Deacon, Sub-deacon and Priest by Bishop Fink, in Leavenworth, Kan., in March, 1880. He then returned to Kankakee to fill out a contacted year, and in June, 1880, returned to Leavenworth. Father McKune's principal work has been carrying to a successful issue the building of a Catholic school for boys attached to the diocese.
JOHN J. McLARKEY, brick manufacturer, is a native of Heddington, Scotland, and came to America in 1854 with his people, at an early age, who settled in Pittsburgh, Pa., where they remained until 1861, when they settled here, where Mr. McLarkey was reared and identified with the railroad industry. After serving a short time as brakesman he was made baggageman; after following that line for about a year and a half he accepted a conductorship, with which he has been reputably connected since - a space of thirteen years out of fifteen in the employ of the C., R. I. & P. R. R. here. In 1875 he married Miss Grace LaBruner, a native of Indianapolis, Ind. They have a family of two daughters and one son - Gertrude, Gracie and Edward Leo. In the present year Mr. McLarkey established the brick manufacture, which he proposes to conduct actively as the demand of the market requires.
L. McLAUGHLIN, locomotive engineer Kansas Central Division Union Pacific Railway, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., January 30, 1849. His parents moved from there to Mercer County, Mo. He commenced his railroad life in 1873, in the locomotive department of the C., R. I. & P. R. R., with headquarters at Trenton, Mo. In August became connected with the Kansas Central in the shops at the West End. In October, 1879, removed to Leavenworth; was in the shops there a month or two, and then commenced firing on the road, and a short time later was given charge of an engine. Mr. McLaughlin was married in Grundy County, Missouri, September 5, 1875, to Miss Elizabeth Crawford, who died, leaving one child - Lovey M. He was married to his present wife April 5, 1878, in Grundy County, Mo. She was Miss Libbie Masters, of that county. They have two children - Mary and Nicholas.
O. R. McNARY, U. S. Commissioner, was born February, 1823, in Washington, Washington Co., Pa., and educated at Jefferson College, at Cannonsburg, Pa. April 18, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company E, Twelfth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, being at that time Colonel of the Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia. On April 19, 1861, he was appointed Orderly Sergeant, and from May 9th to end of term of service (ninety days) acted as First Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster. He was appointed Post Quartermaster at Pittsburg and served until February 2, 1862, and was then appointed Quartermaster of the One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, which position he held until April 14, 1862, when he was detailed as Quartermaster of the Third Brigade, First Division, Third Army Corps, and served until June, 1863, when he was wounded at Kingston, N. C., and assigned to duty at New Haven, Conn., on Gen. Hunt's staff, to establish a draft rendezvous in that city. He remained there until September, 1863, and then returned to his position as Quartermaster of the Third Brigade (having in the meantime returned to the army and received a wound at Gettysburg, which obliged him to return to New Haven). He served as Quartermaster of the Third Brigade until February, 1864 and was then appointed Superintendent of Negro Affairs, depot of Albermarle, on Gen. Wessel's staff. He was taken prisoner April 20, 1864, in North Carolina, where he was stationed, and was carried first to Andersonville where he remained three weeks, and then to a prison in Macon, Ga., from which he escaped, but was recaptured and taken to Madison, Ga. He again made his escape after being held one night, and was again recaptured and taken to Augusta, Ga. On attempting his escape from this prison, he was caught and taken back to Macon; from there to Charleston jail-yard; thence to Columbia, S. C., and thence to the prisoners' hospital at Rickerville, near Charleston. He was exchanged in November, 1864, and taken to Annapolis, Md., his weight having been reduced, since his imprisonment, from 155 to 72 pounds. He remained in the hospital at Annapolis until early in 1865, when he was sent to Madison, Wis., as Quartermaster of Camp Randall, and after remaining there a short time was ordered to Newberne, N. C., to report for duty, but no duty being assigned him, he was mustered out July, 1865, and returned to Washington, Pa, where he remained until he came to Kansas. During his service in the army he was shot four times and received one sabre (sic) wound. He was married at Cadiz, Ohio, to Eleanor R. Grove, a native of that place. They have six children - Tillie J., (now Mrs. Rev. J. C. Williamson, of Washington, Iowa,) Oliver C., Eleanor R., Maria Nettie, Hettie and James E. Mr. McNary is a member of G. A. R. and Department Chaplain of the Association. He is also Treasurer of the Association of Ex-Prisoners of War, Department of Kansas.