|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. - The building, a magnificent brick structure, corner of Fifth and Kiowa streets, is one of the largest church edifices west of St. Louis, and looms up with its two towers as a prominent landmark of the city. It was erected in 1863 at a cost of $150,000. Adjoining it is the palace of the Bishop, erected during the same year. The present value of the property is $200,000. The first mass in Leavenworth was said in 1854 by Bishop Miege, at the house of Mrs. Quinn, who is still an honored member of the church. The diocese had been established in 1851, and in March of that year the Bishop was consecrated to missionary labors among the Indians. In 1855 the old cathedral was built where Father McCune's new parochial school now stands. In 1857 a priest's house was built. Father Heimann was the first pastor at the cathedral, and officiated until 1864, being assisted by Rev. James DeFouri and the Jesuit Fathers. Then came the following clergy, each one of whom held the pastorate from one to three years: Rev. Paul Ponsigiloni, S. J.; Rev. Father Coghlan, S. J.; Rev. Father Corbett, S. J.; Rev. Father Shultz, S. J.; Rev. Father Panken, S. J.; Rev. Ambrose Butler, Rev. William Fitzgerald; Rev. James DeFouri, V. G.; Rev. James O'Reilly, Rev. John B. McCune, and at present, Very Rev. John Cunningham; Rt. Rev. Hohn B. Meige remained bishop of the diocese from 1853 to 1874. Rt. Rev. Louis M. Fink was appointed Coadjutor Bishop in 1871, and succeeded Bishop Meige in 1874. The membership of the Cathedral congregation is placed at 4,000 souls. Strong missions have been established throughout the county, at Fort Leavenworth, Rev. Thomas Downey, pastor; Hoge P. O., Rev. Michael Brown, pastor; Epiphany Church (colored), Rev. M. Huhn, pastor; Kickapoo, Rev. Louis Guenther, pastor, and at Easton, Rev. B. Vanderlage, pastor. St. John's Hospital, corner of Kiowa and Seventh streets, and the St. Vincent Orphan Asylum on Kickapoo street, between Fifth and Sixth, are both conducted by the Sisters of Charity. The St. John's Hospital building, as originally constructed, was a very modest structure. But it was enlarged and improved about two years ago, until it is now quite imposing and entirely comfortable. At present (July, 1882,) it has forty inmates who are carefully watched and nursed by eight Sisters of Charity. One year after the hospital was established the charitable field of the diocese was further enlarged by the founding of the St. Vincent Orphan Asylum. The six Sisters of Charity who conduct this institution make a home for sixty orphans.
In November, 1858, a day and boarding school for girls was opened on the north side of Kickapoo St., and a boys' school in connection with the cathedral. The former continued for ten years in charge of the Sisters of Charity, when the boarding school was discontinued and the erection of Mount St. Mary's Academy, Delaware Township, commenced. It was occupied in 1870, the day school for girls still continuing. The school for boys continued to be occupied until the structure now building near the cathedral was commenced.
St. Joseph's (German Catholic) Church was established in 1857. Its building was first occupied on the first Sunday of July, 1859. The corner stone of the present magnificent structure, corner of Broadway and Miami, was laid in 1868, and the church was consecrated June 17, 1871. Its cost was $45,000. The property is now one of the most valuable pieces of improved real estate in the city. The priest's house is a solidly constructed brick structure, adjoining the church to the east. The two school buildings built of wood, are situated to the west. The parochial school was first opened in 1860. Father Guenther, the present priest in charge of St. Joseph's Church, being the teacher. The boy's school is now in charge of Ignatius Inkman and two Sisters of Charity. The building occupied by the boys is the structure originally erected for the church. The daily attendance of both boys and girls is about 160. The membership of the church is 1,000 souls. This valuable church property was deeded by the Bishop to the order of Carmelite Fathers, and is, legally speaking, held by them in trust for the Catholic Church. Father Casimir, O. S. B., remained in charge of the church from 1857 to 1860; Father Fish from 1860 to 1863, having Father Aloys Meyer as his assistant; Father A. Kuhis from 1863 to 1864. The Carmelite Fathers then commenced their administration, so to speak, Father Cyril Kroll being the priest in charge from 1864 to 1866; Father Albert Heiman form 1866 to 1871, and Father L. Guenther from the latter year to the present time.
First Methodist Episcopal Church. - The first sermon delivered in Leavenworth County, was preached by Rev. W. G. Caples, presiding elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was upon the occasion of a sort of out-door meeting held near where Leavenworth company's coal shaft is now located, and was delivered October 8, 1854. No regular organization was effected until 1857. Occasional services were held, however, until 1856. Rev. W. Butt, of Indiana, preached during a portion of that year, but was fairly driven out of town by the Pro-slavery element. He was so fearful of his life that he hid a long time in the hazel brush before he dared to leave. All the Methodists were scattered abroad, at this time. It was not until May, 1857, that George H. Weaver, then one of the staunchest members of the society, and now deceased, obtained a charter from the Legislature providing for a regular church organization. Rev. William Butt was presiding elder of the district and Rev. M. M. Harm was called to the pastorate. The first quarterly meeting was held in the little church on Miami street, in May, 1857, and the following Trustees elected: George H. Weaver, Elijah Hughes, Jacob B. Odell, Rufus Newland, J. C. Applegate, Joseph Evans. The building committee chosen consisted of Elijah Hughes, George H. Weaver, Jaeob (sic) Sandes; Board of Stewards, J. B. Odell, Elijah Hughes, Jacob Sandes, George H. Weaver, Morris Roberts and Rufus Newland. The Sunday school was organized on May 31, 1857, and George H. Weaver was elected superintendent, in which position he continued for seven years. Rev. James Shaw was presiding elder of the district in 1858, and Rev. H. D. Fisher, pastor of the church. Mr. Fisher continued in charge until 1861. It was chiefly through his energy and perseverance that the present church edifice on Fifth street was erected. The basement was occupied in December, 1859, the audience room being completed in 1861. The church was dedicated during the succeeding year. Rev. G. W. Paddock, who succeeded Rev. H. D. Fisher in 1861, remained pastor until 1863. In January of that year he was succeeded by Rev. D. P. Mitchell, who continued until March, 1866, when Rev. A. B. Leonard assumed the pastorate. Rev. W. K. Marshall assumed charge of the church in the spring of 1868, and gave place in turn to Rev. John J. Thompson two years thereafter. In March, 1873, Rev. T. F. Houts succeeded Mr. Thompson, continuing with the church until the fall of 1875, when Rev. Thomas H. Phillips became pastor. Rev. William Smith was called to the charge in March of the next year, Rev. J. R. Madison in March, 1879, and Rev. A. E. Higgens during March 1881. The church building, corner of Fifth and Choctaw streets, was erected in 1860, during the pastorate of Rev. H. D. Fisher. This property is valued at $12,000, which with the parsonage ($8,000) would make the total value of the church property $20,000. The present membership of the church is $260, of the Sunday school about 200. Officers of the church: Stewards, William Dill, H. C. Fields, Robert McGinty, George A. King, George H. Weaver, Alfred Lake, John Butt, Daniel Easton, J. S. Harker; Trustees, William Fairchild, William Dill, I. N. Mitchell, J. B. Insley, Charles Franke, C. B. Pierce and James McGee.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized January 1, 1856, and was the first white Presbyterian organization in the State. Except the Southern Methodist Church, it was the first religious organization in the city. Rev. C. D. Martin, a home missionary sent out from Philadelphia, presided at the birth and the following were the first members: George I. Park, Sarah Park, John I. Moore, Jane Moore, R. R. Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth A. Kirkpatrick, Margaret Doyle, John D. Ross and Auley McAuley.
Rev. A. W. Pitzer, of Danville Seminary, was the first elected pastor, the call being voted May 19, 1857. He accepted and began work at once.
The first church edifice was begun on Miami street, between Sixth and Seventh, in June, 1857, and in July was dedicated to the service of God, by the Rev. J. G. Fackler, of Liberty, Mo.
The first Sabbath-school was organized August 23, 1857, with six teachers and eighteen scholars.
Rev. Mr. Pitzer was ordained to the Gospel ministry, in January, 1858, and remained pastor of the church until 1861. He then resigned, to cast his fortunes with the South. From that time until 1863, Rev. William Starrett became stated supply and so remained for six months. He then left the little church as a flock without a shepherd. But on August 6, 1863, the Rev. George S. Woodward, of Parkville, Mo., was unanimously chosen pastor. He accepted and entered at once upon his labors. Under the guidance of this pastor, the church, by the blessing of God, began a course of great spiritual and temporal prosperity. Large numbers were added to its membership. It freed itself from debt and took its place as one of the leading churches in the city.
February 4, 1867, a proposition from the Westminster Presbyterian Church, of Leavenworth, to unite, was accepted, and on March 5, 1867, the union was consummated.
December 18, 1867, the Rev. George S. Woodward was compelled by failing health to resign his pastorate. It was very reluctantly accepted. December 30, 1867, the union of the two churches was broken, and the Presbytery of Topeka again placed them as separate organizations.
The original First Presbyterian Church resumed its former status in Odd Fellows' Hall, and on February 23, 1868, extended a call to the Rev. William L. Green, of Chenoa, Ill., to become its pastor. The call was accepted, and Mr. Green was installed pastor, May 24, 1868. He served the church with great acceptance until October 21, 1869, when feeble health compelled his resignation.
January 23, 1870, Rev. William R. Brown, of Georgetown, Ky., became pastor, and so continued until January 27, 1873, when his health also forced a resignation, which was very reluctantly accepted.
During Mr. Brown's pastorate, the present beautiful and commodious edifice on Delaware street was built, and dedicated October 22, 1871. Its cost, including ground, was in the neighborhood of $20,000. After Mr. Brown's resignation, the Rev. William Alford, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, supplied the pulpit for a time. The present pastor, Rev. W. N. Page, D. D., was unanimously called, June 29, 1873, and began, his labors November 1. He was installed by the Presbytery of Topeka, December 7, 1873. In 1879, a large and beautiful chapel was built, holding 500 people. It is also arranged to accommodate the Sabbath-school, the largest in the State consisting of 450 members, with Col. J. L. Abernathy, Superintendent. The present membership of the Church numbers about 350, also forming the largest Presbyterian church in the State. Its officers, July 1, 1882, were as follows: Pastor, William N. Page, D. D.; Elders, George M. Burrell, Edward P. Wilson, James L. Abernathy, William Merrell, D. D. Hawthorne, Alexander Kirk; Deacons, Edwin Varney, John Wilson, Robert Garrett, Lewis Mayo, James C. Lysle, Ed. L. Doughty.
Protestant Episcopal Church. - The first recognized missionary of this church in the Territory of Kansas was the Rev. Hiram Stone, who, in November, 1856, commenced services here, and on the 10th of December of that year organized St. Paul's Church. Dr. Bodine and Mr. Earle were wardens; H. Miles Moore, Dr. Dyer and Frank Palmer, vestrymen. This was the first organized parish in the Territory. Prior to that time, services had occasionally been held by rectors from Weston, Missouri, Revs. John McNary, Holmes, Irish and others. It was at first designed to build a church on the north side of the city, and the foundations were prepared on the northwest corner of Seventh and Ottawa streets. But the plan was changed and a small wooden church was erected on the south side of the city, on a lot east of the southeast corner of Fifth and Chestnut streets, which was consecrated by Bishop Kemper on the 7th of November, 1858. This was the first church consecrated in the Territory and diocese of Kansas. The location proved to be unfortunate for the growth of the parish, and in October, 1859, Mr. Stone resigned the rectorship and accepted the chaplaincy at Fort Leavenworth. From that time the rectorship remained unsupplied, and during all this period the services of the church were continued with more or less of regularity through the generous labors of Mr. Stone. The present parish of St. Paul's was re-organized on the 6th of March, A. D., 1863, by the adoption of a constitution and the election of wardens and vestrymen. The Rev. J. H. Egar, B. D., was called to the rectorship and accepted. Services were held for a time in the Congregational house of worship. Steps were soon taken to erect a building. Three lots on the northeast corner of Seventh and Seneca streets were purchased of A. J. Sterrett, McKean, Erie County, Erie County, Pa., for $600, and the plans for a church to seat $600 people were obtained of Messrs. R. Upjohn & Son, of New York. The building was commenced in June, 1863. At first only the chancel, first stage of the tower, vestry and organ room, and forty feet in length of the nave, were built. On Sunday, July 10, 1864, the part of the church thus erected was occupied for public worship for the first time. The sermon was preached by the Rev. A. D. Cole, D. D., President of Nashotah Theological Seminary, Wisconsin. Besides the rector there were present the Rev. Hiram Stone, of Fort Leavenworth and Rev. N. O. Preston, of Topeka. The first confirmation was administered in the parish by the Right Reverend Bishop Lee, of Iowa, in the Congregational house of worship on Sunday, September 11, 1864. The first Episcopal act performed by Bishop Vail, the first bishop of the diocese of Kansas, within the diocese was a confirmation in the church of St. Paul, on Sunday, January 10, 1865. The parish was admitted into union with the convention of the diocese in 1864, and in 1865 the convention was held in this church, September 13th and 14th. This was the first convention presided over by a Bishop of the diocese of Kansas. On Friday, January 5, 1866, a font was placed in the church, the offering of Mrs. Susan Kerr a memorial of two children deceased.
The number of communicants in the parish at its organization was 19. The Rev. John H. Egar resigned the rectorship in July, 1868, and accepted a call to St. Peter's Church, Pittsburg, Pa. The Rev. J. Mills Kendrick, of Fort Scott, was elected to the rectorship October 1, 1868. During his rectorship the nave of the church was extended and completed. St. John's chapel on the south side of the city was erected for education as well as religious purposes. Mr. Kendrick resigned the rectorship July 1, 1874. The Rev. John Woart, United States Chaplain at Fort Leavenworth, officiated in the parish church until March, 1878, when the vestry called the Rev. Chas. Daniel, deacon, of the diocese of Pennsylvania, to the rectorship. Me Daniel resigned his charge October 1, 1877. On January 1, 1878, the Rev. Thomas W. Barry, B. D., of the diocese of Central New York, was called to the rectorship and began his labors at once. The outlook at first was discouraging, but Mr. Barry had come to stay. His first duty was to induce the scattered and disheartened members of the parish to come together again for worship. As chairman of the vestry he has always given close attention to the temporalities of the church. The quartette choir was dismissed and a volunteer coir substituted. The sexton was discharged and the duties of that office have since been performed by young gentlemen of the parish gratuitously. By the practice of such self-denial and wisely ordered economy, wonders in the way of the church progress have been accomplished during the past five years. The mortgage of $2,000 which has been drawing ten percent, interest for many years was paid in December, 1880. On January 26, 1881, the beautiful church of St. Paul was consecrated by the Bishop of the diocese amid the rejoicings and congratulations of hundreds of people. The Very Rev. Dean Hart, of St. John's Cathedral, Denver, Col., preached the sermon. In April, 1881, the vestry purchased five lots on the northwest corner of Seventh and Seneca streets, just opposite the church, for the location of the rectory. Ground was broken in May, and the work pushed rapidly forward under the personal supervision of the rector. On November 9, 1881, the Bishop of the diocese visited the parish again to perform the pleasant duty of opening the new rectory. The building is a large, handsome three-story brick of the Queen Anne style, and cost, including the lots, $6,000. At the last Diocesan Convention the rector's parochial report was said to be the best ever handed in since the formation of the diocese. The Episcopalians have now, (with one exception, the Roman Cathedral); the handsomest and most valuable church property in the city of Leavenworth. The church is the best specimen of Gothic architecture in the diocese. Built of dressed stone and walnut, with beautiful stained glass windows, carpeted, cushioned and heated by furnaces; with its large pipe-organ, excellent choir of twenty voices and sublime liturgy, it is indeed a temple of the true God. The Rev. T. W. Barry is still the rector.
United Presbyterian Church. - In the summer of 1857, the General Synod of the Associated Reform Church sent Rev. B. L. Baldridge to this western country, as a sort of prospector, or pioneer, in the work. He arrived at Leavenworth, July 15, 1857, and held religious services before meeting at the house of J. M. C. Foster, September 4, 1857. At this time it was resolved to organize a church, and an organization was effected by Rev. Mr. Baldridge, Alex, McGahey and wife, Samuel W. Greer and wife, John Hamill and wife, Robert B. Craig and wife, John Hosack and wife, James L. McDowell, Mrs. Alice Phillippe and Miss Rebecca Phillippe, Dr. Thomas Hamill, Sampson McGahey, Turner McGahey, George R. Neely, and John Parks. The Congregational society was formed during the same year as the United Presbyterian, and, as it now exists, that organization is the result of a union of the Associate and the Associate Reform churches. Mr. Baldridge continued in charge of the church until the spring of 1866. Rev. W. P. McNary, who had been stated supply for a number of months, was regularly ordained in December of that year. For nearly three years, until December 4, 1869, Mr. McNary continued to act as pastor, when he resigned. Then, for over a year, the pulpit was supplied temporarily. In September, 1871, Rev. F. M. Spencer assumed the pastorate, and continued to guide and guard the interests of the church until the last Sunday in September, 1879. Rev. H. C. Marshall was then called to the charge, and regularly ordained February 15, 1880. He is the present incumbent, and the church membership is about seventy. The church building, corner of Arch and Fifth streets, was purchased from the Second Congregational society, August 6, 1873, for $5,500.
The First Congregational Church was organized March 14, 1858, when twenty-seven persons adopted its constitution and covenant. In 1860, its first and present house of worship, corner of Delaware and Fifth streets, was erected. It was enlarged and greatly beautified in 1868. Since then it has been improved and modernized, until now the audience room is one of the most attractive and home-like places of worship in the city. The Congregational Church, like the city, has had its history, its days of prosperity and adversity. Its first pastor was Rev. R. D. Parker, now of Manhattan, who was followed by Rev. J. D. Liggett. After ten years of faithful pastorate work, Mr. Liggett was succeeded by Rev. William Kincaid. He was followed by several others, of short terms of service. The present incumbent is Rev. W. H. Thomas, formerly of Kalamazoo, Mich. The church is prosperous, and connected it are some of the foremost citizens of the place.
The Evangelical German Lutheran Church was organized in 1861, by G. Elbert, Peter Shott, George Lueders, Henry Shott, Henry Steinker, F. Scheer, - - - Becker, and John Ulrich. Rev. Michael Meier assumed charge of the church, and continued in that relationship for twenty-one years. In 1882, the present incumbent, Rev. C. Hoffner, became Pastor. In 1864, the society erected a small edifice on Delaware street, but did not complete the building now occupied until 1881. It is of brick, cost $3,500, and is situated on Seventh street, corner of Miami. A comfortable parsonage is attached, the total value of the church property being $7,000. The membership of the church is sixty. Its parochial school, which has been in existence since 1864, has a membership of between sixty and seventy, and is in a flourishing condition.
The Baptist Church of Leavenworth. - In the fall of 1858 the Tabernacle Baptist Church was organized in Leavenworth, under the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Kermott. The first Baptist Church was formed in 1860, by Rev. Mr. Barrett. These two organizations joined their forces, in 1864, to form the Baptist Church of Leavenworth. Among its first members, some of them being the original members of the Tabernacle Church, were J. C. Spring, R. W. Putnam and wife, C. P. Jenks, L. Chapin, J. M. Raymond and wife, Mrs. Dodd, Robert Murray and Mrs. Humphrey. Meetings were held for a time in the First Presbyterian Church building, and in Laing's Hall. In February, 1865, Rev. Winfield Scott was called unanimously to supply the pulpit. He remained until January, 1872. During his administration the edifice on Sixth street, between Seneca and Shawnee, was erected. With the site, it cost about $45,000, and is one of the most imposing and spacious religious edifices of the city. Rev. Dr. Butler became pastor during the early part of 1872, but remained only a few months, being succeeded by Rev. I. S. Kallock, who remained two years. Rev. Allan Kerr supplied the pulpit for the next six months, and in 1875 was succeeded by Rev. J. B. Hardwick. Mr. Hardwick remained until 1878, when Rev. E. Nesbett, D. D., served the society for three years. From November, 1881, to May, 1882, the church was without a pastor. Rev. J. A. Leavitt, the present incumbent, then assumed charge. The society at present numbers 159 persons, and is growing.
The German Church - (Evangelical Association) - was organized in 1861, when the religious edifice, corner of Sixth and Osage streets, was constructed. Bishop R. Dubs and Rev. Mr. Miller held the first services. They were succeeded by Rev. Messrs. Rashkop, Berner, Haas, Vogelein, Beck, Kern, Kurtz and the present incumbent, Rev. Jacob Schmidh(?), who has been in charge of the church over a year. The church has a membership of about forty, and owns the parsonage attached. The entire property is valued at $5,000.
The Fifth Avenue Mission Church. - The closing of the war found many soldiers at Fort Leavenworth waiting for discharge. Unavoidable hindrances and unjustifiable delays detained them for months, crushing their spirit and inducing disease. The United States Christian Commission, with Rev. R. Brown as agent, to mitigate these evils sent large quantities of hospital stores and reading matter to the sufferers. The co-operation of the city churches was obtained, and in connection with the relief work disbanded, but to continue and extended from the fort to the city. The commission was disbanded, but to continue the work seven persons organized themselves into the Mission Church, by a council in the Congregational Church. This was upon May 27, 1866, and Rev. Robert Brown became pastor. The literary stores of the commission were turned over by the military authorities to this organization. Services and distribution of papers were continued every Sabbath in the penitentiary and county jail (then occupying the same premises in the city), in the poor-house, guard-house, hospital and barracks of the fort. Saloon visitations, Sabbath street meetings, and neighborhood prayer meetings were conducted. For the colored population a Freedman's school was conducted during the evenings of the week, a school and evening service on Sunday. These services were supported by the co-operation of many who did not identify themselves with the organization. But with the blessings of peace, the business tide ebbed from Leavenworth as a center. The mission work ceased to be a pressing necessity or was taken up by the regular churches. In 1872 a charter for a conservatory of Music and Collegiate School was procured and the germ of a new religious organization was planted, having for its foundation the union of religion and culture. Of the original seven who the first organization, Rev. Robert Brown is still pastor, and with his brother, A. B. Brown, director of the conservatory. The property is pleasantly located on Fifth avenue, South Leavenworth.
Congregation Benai Jerushan - Organized in 1862. The first officers were, Simon Abels, president; J. Wollman, vice president; M. Bernstein, secretary; N. Schloss, treasurer; J. Wollman, B. Fletcher, N. Schloss, trustees. Meets first Sunday in January, April, July and October, at Jewish Synagogue. In 1864 the society erected the present synagogue, corner of Sixth and Osage streets, at a cost of $13,000. When finished and dedicated the house was free from all incumbrance of debt. Present number of members, forty-five.
African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1861, by Rev. John Turner. The first meetings were held in an old basement room, and the first building used for educational purposes was erected under the pastorate of Rev. J. M. Wilkerson. The church now occupied on Kiowa street, was commenced in 1865, by Rev. J. Turner, and completed by J. C. Embry, in 1870. Present membership of the society, about 300; Rev. W. L. Harrad pastor.
First Baptist Church (Colored). - Organized by Rev. R. Colwell, in 1862, with seven members. He was followed by Rev. D. Jones, and he, in turn, by Revs. D. G. Zet, C. B. Murphy, T. Y. Jones, F. D. Ewing, W. H. Howard, J. Brown, and J. W. Miller, present incumbent. Present membership of the church, seventy. The church building is situated on the southeast corner of Seneca street and Broadway.
Mount Olive Baptist Church (Colored). - This society was organized in November, 1864. Rev. Abe. H. H. Turner, who is the present pastor, had charge of the church when it was first organized. A few years ago the society purchased a small building, corner of Sixth and Spruce streets, from the German. This is the house of worship which they now occupy. The membership of the church is about twenty, the attendance much larger.
Independence Baptist Church (Colored). - This is one of the most flourishing colored congregations in Leavenworth. The church building, corner of Sixth and Pottawatomie streets, was erected in 1879, at a cost of $3,700. With the site, the total value of the property would reach $6,000. Rev. T. H. Ewing is pastor of the church, which numbers nearly 250 members. The Sunday-school is attended by nearly 200 scholars, being in charge of R. J. Smith. The Independence Baptist Church, or, as it is sometimes called, the Mount Gilead Baptist Church, is, in fact, a religious power among the colored people of Leavenworth.
The Holy Epiphany Church (Colored Catholic). - The church edifice is situated on Pottawatomie street, between Sixth and Seventh streets. Its corner stone was laid September 29, 1878, and the building erected during the same fall. The dedicatory services occurred August 20, 1879, and the first confirmation was given by Rt. Rev. L. M. Fink, on the 15th of November of that year. The cost of the property, including grounds, was $3,500. Membership of the church, sixty. Rev. Martin Huhn is pastor.
There are also a small Baptist society, which worships on Chestnut street, and a Congregational society, whose church is on Sixth street. The colored people form a large proportion of the population of Leavenworth, and they are nearly all church-goers.