|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
NORRIS CHANDLER, farmer and stock grower, Section 9, Township 31, Range 20, P. O. Parsons.gHis farm consists of 160 acres of fine land, well improved, with good buildings, orchards, etc.gHe came to this county, a single man, in 1872, from Washtenaw County, Mich., where he was born, September, 1844, being a son of Joel and Rebecca Chandler, the father of Vermont and the mother of New York. Married and settled in Michigan in 1833.gThe above gentleman began business for himself when about eighteen years of age, as a farmer.gWhen twenty-nine years of age he married Miss Rebecca E. Hardman, a native of Roan County, Va., born in 1853, being a daughter of George W. and Elizabeth Eye Hardman, both of Virginia, and settled in Kansas in 1870.gMr. and Mrs. C. settled where they now reside, having a family of five children:gOra W., Mary E., Joel O., Florence I., Martha E.gMrs C. is a member of the M. E. Church.
D. G. DAIGH, farmer and proprietor of one of the largest stone quarries in southeast Kansas, Section 14, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, came to Labette County in the spring of 1870, and entered 160 acres of land.gHe remained about one year, and returned to Christian County, Ill., and devoted his time to farming.gIn February, 1882, again came to this county and began to improve the above land.gHe is a native of Lawrence County, Mo., born 1842, and in 1861 with his parents moved to Illinois.gDuring the late war served some three years in Company E. One Hundred and Fourteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry.gWhen thirty-two years of age he married Miss Nancy J. Hazlett, a native of Sangamon County, Ill.gThey have four children: Edith, Robert, Walter, Noel.
Z. FULTZ, farmer in Section 33, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, came to Labette County, February, 1866, from Douglas County, Kan., where he went in 1855.gWas born and raised in Carter County, Ky. The most important event of his life was April 14, 1835, being a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Holland) Fultz, both of Farwell County, West Virginia, and in 1857 settled in Douglas County, now living in Franklin County, Kan.gMr. Z. Fultz began life as a farmer, but in connection with same, since living in this county, has been engaged in many enterprises, such as milling, lumber, and ice business.gHe married, in 1853, Miss Miranda McClurge, a native of Carter County, Ky., born in 1836, being a daughter of James and Elsey (Bets) McClurge.gSoon after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. F. settled in Kansas, and when they came to this county their house was the only one which had a board floor.gJanuary 7, 1874, Mrs. F. died, leaving seven children:gJames R., Olive P., Mary E., U. S., Lizzie B., Elvira, Zack, Jr.gLost five children: William A., F. M., Robert L., Miranda., E. B.
SAMUEL R. HALLIDAY, farmer, Section 2, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, located his present farm consisting of 160 acres of fine improved land in 1869; coming from Meigs County, Ohio, where he was born in 1844. His parents were from Scotland; they settled in Ohio in an early day. Early in 1861, the above subject enlisted in Company J. Fifty-third Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served nine months, and then was discharged in December, 1863. He enlisted in Company G. One Hundred and Sixteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served under Gen. Sheridan, in West Virginia, and was wounded September 19, 1864, at Winchester. At the close of the war he was discharged, and returned to his home in Ohio. In 1870, was united in marriage to Miss Emma D. Gaston, a native of Virginia; who, with her parents, came to Missouri, where she lived until the age of nine years, then, with her parents, moved to Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Halliday have four children - Gaston, James, Anna D. and Essie Iome, having lost one, Walter. They are both members of the United Brethren Church.
LEWIS HEVEL, farmer, Section 24, Township 31, Range 29, P. O. Parsons, a native of York County, Pa., born May, 1827, son of Christian and Elizabeth (Stranger) Hevel, both natives of Pennsylvania; when Lewis was eighteen months old, the family moved to Columbus, Ohio, and remained some five years; then emigrated to Illinois and settled on a farm six miles northeast of Charleston, where he grew to manhood. In 1850, married Miss Mary J. Beckham a native of Virginia, and raised in Fairfield County, Ohio; she was born in 1823; being a daughter of Soloman and Elizabeth Beckham, both of Virginia. Lewis and wife first settled in Coles County, Ill., and remained till they came to Kansas, February 11, 1872; locating where they now reside; their family consists of six living children - Angelin, Susan, William, Allen, Rosa, May. Mr. H's. landed estate consists of 335 acres of improved land with good buildings.
PHILIP JOHN, farmer, Section 23, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, came to Kansas, October, 1869, from Louisa County, Iowa; he is a native of Richland County, Ohio, born in 1827. He grew to manhood and received a common education in his native county. In 1857, he married Miss Sarah Watts a native of the same county, she was born in 1834; in 1852, Mr. J. and wife settled in Michigan, and remained until 1855, then moved to Iowa; they have five children - Sidney A., Frank, Charlie, Elfie, and Bruce. In 1862, Mr. John enlisted in Company F. Nineteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served three years. He received injuries at the siege of Vicksburg, that caused him the loss of his left eye. He is a cabinet maker, having worked at the business many years; both he and Mrs. John are Advents in their belief; their home is one of attraction, being well improved.
G. C. OSGOOD, farmer, and brick manufacturer, in Section 20, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, came to Labette County, Kan., January 1871, from Saranac County, Mich., where he was raised, but is a native of New York State, and when quite small his parents moved to Michigan. He learned the mason trade, and worked at the business for many years. In 1878 began the manufacture of brick, now doing an extensive business. When twenty-seven years of age, married Miss Louetta George, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child, Charles E.
REV. J. M. C. REED, resides on his farm of 160 acres of fine improved land in Section 9, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, where he located July 26, 1875; coming from Champaign County, Ill., where he located in 1864, and while a resident of that State assisted in organizing the County and Township Sunday schools. He is a native of Mercer County, Ky., born May 9, 1836, where he was raised and educated, being a son Rev. David and M. Reed both natives of Kentucky. When twenty-three years of age Mr. R. was ordained as minister of the Gospel; May 19, 1864; was united in marriage to Miss M. J. Wash, a native of Anderson County, Ky., born January 5, 1839, being the daughter of James M. and Tryfema Wash of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Reed have three children - George W., Minnie and Jauntha.
JEPTHA ROBERTSON, farmer, Section 15, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons, came to Labette County in 1868, entering 160 acres of fine land, three miles east of Parsons. His native place is Columbus, Ind. He was born September, 1835. His parents were from Ohio; his father died in 1878. By industry and good management, he soon began business for himself. October 3, 1857, he was united in marriage to Miss C. J. Elledge, a native of Edgar County, Ill., born August 4, 1836. Her parents were from Kentucky; the father from Montgomery County, and the mother from Morgan County. They married and settled in Edgar County, Ill., in an early day. Mr. and Mrs. R. first settled on a farm in Edgar County, Ill., and remained until they came to Kansas. Their family consists of eight children - Alice, Isaac, Loie, Henry M., Aggie, Eva, Emma and Maggie. They are both members of the Christian Church.
D. J. SALES, farmer, Section 28, Township 20, Range 30, P. O. Parsons, settled where he now resides, in 1881, coming from Lookout Mountain, Tenn., having gone there in 1877 with his mother, for her health. Shortly after going to Tennessee, he purchased a fine farm consisting of 200 acres. Mr. S. is a native of Livingston County, Mich., and was born December, 1855, being the only child of S. B. and Mary S. (Livermore) Sales, both natives of New York. D. J. received his education in his native State; but having a great taste for music and art, spent some time in the study of the same. When at the age of twenty-five was united in wedlock, to Miss Caroline Marshall, a native of Michigan, born in 1859, she was raised and educated in Livingston County, Mich. Her parents were from Scotland, and came to America in 1841, and settled in Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Sales have one child - Stephen B. Both are church members.
JOHN SAYLOR, farmer, Section 28, Township 20, Range 30, P. O. Parsons, came to the county and settled where he now resides, in 1868, from Wyandotte County, Kas. He is a son of Z. B. Savior and Sarah Helton, natives of Kentucky. He was born in Harlan County, Ky., in 1852, but was principally raised in Kansas. May 12, 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Ella A. Kendell, a native of Hendricks County, Ind., daughter of Alfred Kendell, and Nancy (Davis) Kendell; her father, a native of Kentucky, and her mother, of Indiana. She was born in 1854, and with her parents came to Kansas in 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Saylor have three children - Melvin E., James M., John F. Mr. Saylor's farm consists of eighty acres of fine land, well improved and well watered, within two and a half miles of Parsons.
J. C. SAYLOR, farmer in Section 29, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 160 acres of fine improved land, with good buildings. He began a poor man, and all his success is owing to his industry and good management. He is a native of Harland County, Ky., born in 1844, being a son of Z. B., and Sarah (Helton) Saylor, who were both natives of same county and State. The above, with his parents, moved to Wyandotte County, Kas., in 1861, locating on a farm. During the late war, J. C. served fourteen months in the Sixteenth Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry. After being discharged, he turned his attention to farming, and was united in marriage, July, 1869, to Miss Ester Dinnell, a native of Hendricks County, Ind., born in 1851, and being a daughter of Alfred and Lucinda (Davidson) Kinnell. The father is a native of Kentucky, and the mother, of Indiana. Mr. Saylor and wife settled where they now reside. Their family consist of five children, one son and four daughters - Drew, Etta, Mamie, Ida, Maude.
ALFRED SOUTHWICK, farmer in Section 29, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 320 acres of fine improved land, within two and one-half miles of Parsons, having settled where he now resides in the fall of 1875, from Jackson County, Mich., where he was engaged for many years, in the hotel business and merchandising. He is a native of Senaca Falls, N. Y., born June, 1844, being a son of David and Areal (Hyde) Southwick, the father, of New York, and the mother, of Connecticut. The subject of this sketch was educated in his native county, and during the late war served two years and six months in Company I, Seventy-fifth Regiment New York Volunteer Battery. When twenty-three years of age he was united in marriage to Miss Kate Curran, a native of Ireland, born 1844, being a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth C. Mrs. S. came to America with her parents when she was quite small and grew to womanhood in New York. Mr. and Mrs. S. have four children, two sons and two daughters - William H., Ellen W., Mary and Alfred W.
HENRY M. TAYLOR, farmer, Section 13, Township 31, Range 20, P. O. Parsons. His farm comprises some 264 acres of fine land, situated six miles east of Parsons. He came to the county, August, 1868, from Cooper County, Mo., being a native of Hinsdale, New Hampshire, born April 21, 1838, being a son of Lewis and Lois Taylor, both of the same State. In 1859 Henry M. went South and remained in Mississippi about one year, then located in Cooper County, Mo., devoting his time to farming. When twenty-five years of age married Miss Nancy E. McCarty, a native of Cooper County, Mo., born in 1845. Her parents were of North Carolina, and were early settlers of Cooper County, Mo. Mrs. Taylor died in 1866. Mr. Taylor has served some nine years as Justice of the Peace in North Township.
DAVID C. THURSTON, farmer, Section 13, Township 31, Range 20, P. O. Parsons, settled here May 10, 1866. He is a native of Mt. Gilead, Morrow Co., Ohio, born March 11, 1843, a son of Levi and Elizabeth (Bastress) Thurston, father, of Pottsville, Pa., the mother, of Jersey Shore. They married and settled in Morrow County, Ohio, in about 1830, where they still reside. The above gentleman enlisted April 21, 1861, in Company G, Twentieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served some three months. In West Virginia, August 29, 1861, enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Served until the close of the war, being mustered out in Texas, and discharged, December, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio. He was united in marriage, May 21, 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Barns, a native of Shelby County, Ohio, born October 7, 1841. She died February 19, 1869. Mr. T. married a second time, April 16, 1871, to Miss Christina Bilby, a native of Indiana, born November 7, 1853, died June 12, 1877, leaving three children - Levi H., Edward C., Alfred A. Mr. T. married a third time July 14, 1878, Miss Rebecca Chapman, of Kentucky, but raised in Warren County, Ill., born June 14, 1854. Mr. Thurston's farm consists of eighty acres of fine improved land.
ROBERT WHITAKER, farmer, contractor and brick manufacturer, Section 29, Township 31, Range 20 east, P. O. Parsons, first came to the county February 23, 1872, from Henry County, Mo., where he worked at the manufacture of bricks. He is a native of North Carolina, and was born June 12, 1845, but emigrated to Tennessee. Is a son of William and Sarah (Carter) Whitaker. When Mr. W. crossed the Mississippi River he had not one cent and the first night that he spent in Missouri was under a tree. The following day he began work and from that time prospered. In 1869 he married Miss Sarah J. Hewitt, a native of Morgan County, Mo., born November 18, 1850. Is a daughter of John and Elizabeth, who settled in Missouri in 1841. Mr. and Mrs. W. have two children - Walter V. and Lillia A.; lost four children - Frankie, John A., Oscar F. and Anna M. Mr. Whitaker's farm consists of 230 acres of fine land, his improvements costing about $7,000.
LEWIS WILLIAMS, proprietor of the Parsons Nursery, situated in Section 30, Township 20, Range 31, P. O. Parsons. The above nursery contains about 100 acres of land devoted to stock and orchard. It was established in 1880, having previously been at Chetopa, since 1872. He is a native of London, C. W., born in 1840, being a son of George and Annie Williams, the father a native of England, and the mother of Ireland. The above gentleman was educated at Hiram College, under James A. Garfield, and began life as a school teacher. Finally went to St. Joseph County, Mich., in 1864, and devoted his time to the tree business. In 1870 he went to Lawrence, Kan., and spent some two years canvassing for trees. Afterwards commenced for himself. Mr. W. has a pear orchard comprising about 4,000 trees.
NATHAN H. HOPKINS, farmer and breeder of short-horn cattle, Section 27, Township 31, Range 21, P. O. Matthewson, is a native of Virginia, born in 1833, and was raised on a farm in Indiana. In 1859 he went to Colorado, and engaged in the cattle business. When the late war broke out, he enlisted in the Second Colorado Volunteers, and was in active service three years, being mustered out at Fort Riley in August, 1865. April 27, 1866, he came to Labette County, and entered 160 acres of land, which is now part of his home farm. The estate consists of 390 acres finely improved, the building costing about $5,000. In March, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss M. Reed, a native of Hancock County, Ind., born in 1848, and with her parents came to Kansas in 1865. Mr. H. commenced life a poor man. His surroundings are the result of industry and good management. He is a Master Mason. Mrs. H. is member of the Baptist Church.
P. LANE, farmer, Section 21, Township 31, Range 21, P. O. Parsons, was born in Southern Missouri, January 11, 1824, being a son of Wilson and Polly (Powers) Lane, both natives of Tennessee, but married in Missouri, and settled in St. Clair County, Ill., where the above grew to manhood, and married Miss Nancy Diel, November 6, 1847. She is a native of Randolph County, Ill., born October 19, 1829. Her parents came from Georgia, and settled in Illinois at an early day. Mr. L. and wife settled in Washington County, Ill., on a farm, remaining till March 18, 1879, then came to Labette County, and located where they now reside. Their family consists of seven living children - William, John, Charles, Sarah, Lewis, George and Minnie; lost one - Elizabeth. Mr. Lane's farm consists of 320 acres of finely improved land, all under a high state of cultivation.
ADAM SPIES, Section 21, Township 31, Range 21, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 240 acres of finely improved bottom land. He was born in Germany in June, 1838, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Stark) Spies, of Germany. When Adam was twelve years of age, the family came to America, and settled in Grundy County, Ill., where he grew to manhood and received a good education. In the spring of 1867 he came to Labette County and entered 160 acres, where he now resides. He married, in 1870, Miss R. Bell, a native of Kentucky. She died in 1877. Mr. S. married, the second time, January 1, 1878, Miss Mary Coffield. She was born in 1848, being a native of Grant County, Ind., and with her parents came to Labette County in 1866. She is a daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Clark) Coffield. Mr. and Mrs. Spies' family consists of three children - Charles, George and Laura.