|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
J. S. ADAMSON, farmer and stock grower, Section 12, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. He resides on 160 acres of fine improved land, which he entered November 3, 1869; came here from Jasper County, Iowa, having gone there with his parents when quite a small boy. He was born in St. Joseph, Mo., in 1843, a son of Enos and Sarah (Burgin), the father, of Tennessee, and married the mother, of Missouri, J. S. learned the carpenter's trade, which has been his occupation in connection with farming. February 23, 1866, he married Miss Elizabeth Knows, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1847, and when eighteen years of age, with her parents, moved to Iowa, where she married. They have four children - Charles, Eddie, Ada and Daniel. Mr. Adamson was a member of the Old Settler's Society, and has served as Justice of the Peace many terms.
F. H. & A. A. BRIGGS, farmer and cattle feeders, Section 11, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. This farm consists of 373 acres of finely improved land; came to Labette County, Kan., September, 1870, from Chicago, Ill., where they were born and raised. F. H. was born in 1845, and A. A. in 1851, being sons of Benjamin and Fidelia S. Briggs. The father was born in 1812, at Bennington, Vt., and with his parents moved to New York, where he grew to manhood, and learned the trade of wagonmaker. In 1833 paid fare in stage, but walked most of the way to Chicago, Ill., and established a shop, having made the first wagon that was manufactured in that city; afterwards associating himself with Mr. James O. Humphrys in the wagon business. He was first married in 1836, to Miss Betsy Ann Brown, a native of St. Charles, Ill. She died in 1843, leaving two children - William and Cynthia. He married Fidelia S. Frye, the mother of F. H. and A. A., November 3, 1844. She is a native of Massachusetts, born February 21, 1818, and with a relative moved to Chicago, in 1844. They have had six children, four living - F. H., Mary L., A. A., and Benjamin, having lost two - Ella and Eugene. The father died May 18, 1863. The mother resides with the above F. H. & A. A. Briggs. F. H. has spent many years through the Western country at different points in Kansas and Colorado. His early life was spent as railroad engineer at Des Moines, Iowa. A. A. spent several years in the employ of the Rock Island & Pacific Railroad.
P. M. GIBSON, farmer and stockgrower in Section 25, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, came to Labette County, Kan., in 1869, and entered his present farm, which consists of 160 acres of fine improved land surrounded by hedge fence, with a fine orchard. He came here from Vermillion County, Ill., where he was partly raised, but was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1834, being a son of Samuel and Peggie A. (Myers) Gibson, both of Pennsylvania. Mr. G. learned the carpenter trade, which has been his occupation in connection with farming. He first married when twenty-two years of age, to Miss Araminta Douglas, born in Illinois in 1836, and died in 1864, leaving three children - Samuel, Charles and Mary E. He married his present wife in 1867. She was Miss Anna Boone, born in Kentucky. They have six children - Lowell, Minnie, Allen, Sarah L., Josie and Chester. During the late war, Mr. G. served in Company K. One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was in all engagements of the regiment.
W. C. KING, farmer, Section 3, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, born September, 1845, a son of Rev. William King and Mary A. Eastwood, natives of Ohio. William C. when fifteen years of age commenced doing for himself. In the spring of 1861, went to Vermillion County, Ill., and worked on a farm until August, 1862. He then enlisted in Company B. One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment, First Illinois Volunteer Infantry, doing service until June 29th, 1865; was then mustered out at Chicago. He afterwards turned his attention to farming. January 27th, 1867, he married Miss Ann S. Lucas, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, but was raised in Illinois and Indiana. She was born December 16th, 1842. They have no children, but have two adopted ones, Albert D. Lucas and Pearl Sandford. Mr. King's farm consists of 160 acres of finely improved land. He came to Kansas October 22, 1869, and settled at his present residence February 28, 1870.
ALEX MOSSMAN, farmer Section 9, P. O. Parsons, was born in Mercer County, Penn., in 1821. At the age of twenty learned the carpenter's trade; went to Ohio; lived there six years; was married to Thirza M. Payton, of Trumbull County, Ohio. She was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1830. From there to Grundy County, Ill.; from thence to Benton County, Iowa, where they lived sixteen years; went to Texas in 1873; lived there two years; in November, 1875, settled in Labette County, Kan., where they now live. They have ten children - Wilber, Byron, Hannah M., Isabella, Edward P., Mary, Robert G., Harry A., Emmet E., Delia S. Has given the children good education, several of them are teachers in the public schools. Has also a valuable farm with good improvements, etc.
W. S. NORRIS, farmer and stock grower, Section 18, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Mound Valley. His farm consists of 160 acres of fine improved land, which was purchased in 1879. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1851, a son of Isaac and Eliza J. (Sirine) both natives of New York. The father being a prominent man of his place and county, having spent much of his time in cattle trade of the east, now retired. W. S. was educated in his native State in 1868, graduated at Fowler & Wells' College and afterward took a thorough course in H. G. Eastman's College. When twenty-two years of age he married Miss Clara V. Vale, born in Rockingham County, Va., and when six years of age, with her parents moved to New York and was there educated. She is a daughter of Benjamin and Willie A. (Campbell) Vale; the father of New York and the mother of Richmond, Va. Her father is an extensive harness manufacturer of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Norris came to Labette County, Kan. and settled where they now reside March 17, 1879, having a family of four children as follows - Ada E., Isaac B., James C. and Juliet A. Mr. Norris is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
EDWARD CLINTON SANFORD, farmer and live stockman in Section 4, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Delaware County, N. Y., born March, 1836. When quite a young man went to Wisconsin, and at the outbreak of the late war enlisted November 15, 1861, in Company A. Second Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served till November 20, 1864. He returned to Wisconsin, but soon after went to West Virginia, and engaged in the oil business. In 1866 went to Brown County, Minn., and engaged in farming, and May, 1869, came to Labette County, Kan., and entered eighty acres of land, now owning 250 acres of fine improved land. In 1876 married Miss Jennie Wilson, a native of Scotland, born 1852, and came to America in 1869. They have three children - Jennie, Willie, and an infant. Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the Presbyterian Church.
L. A. WOOD, farmer and breeder of Poland - China hogs, Section 1, Township 32, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Madison County, N. Y., and was born in 1838. In 1856, went to Grundy County, Ill., and engaged in farming, which he has since followed. When twenty-five years of age married Miss Maggie Collins, a native of Grundy County, Ill., born in 1844. They have one child, Willis. Mr. and Mrs. Wood settled in Labette County, in October, 1868, where they have since resided. Mr. Wood's farm consists of 320 acres of finely improved land, with good buildings, orchard and living water.
JAMES C. BRADFORD, farmer and stock grower in Section 7, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Ohio, born January 3, 1844, and with his parents moved to McLean County, Ill., in 1851, where he was brought up and began life as a farmer, working by the month for seven years. December 1, 1867, he married Miss Viola Rich, a native of Allyn county, Ind., born April 29, 1851, a daughter of Thomas J. and J. L. (D'Morest) Rich, and with her parents moved to McLean County, Ill., in 1865. Mr. and Mrs B. came to Labette County, October 12, 1870, and settled where Mr. B. now resides. June 30, 1882, Mrs. B. died, leaving six children, as follows: Letta, Elmer, Jane, Cora D., Emma and John. Both church members. Mr. Bradford's farm consists of 240 acres of fine improved land, all from his own industry and good management.
M. E. CORSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 1, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 160 acres of well improved land, which he purchased November, 1874, but came to Labette County March, 1873. He is a native of Sangamon County, Illinois. Born September 26, 1849. A son of Frances (daughter of Gen. M. K. Anderson, who was for eighteen years Adjutant - General of Illinois) and W. A. Corson. The father of New Jersey and the mother of Illinois. They were married in Sangamon County, Ill., in 1847, where the father died in 1851, leaving two sons - M. E. and Fancis, deceased. The mother married a second time to G. W. Springer, a native of Kentucky. The family moved to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1856. Remained about four years and then returned to Sangamon County, Ill,; but accompanied M. E. to Kansas, where they still reside. M. E. was educated at the State University at Champaign, Ill., and taught school for many years. Since living in Labette County, Kan., has been identified as a public officer of the Township in which he resides.
MRS. MARY CURRAN (maiden name Donovan), the widow of the late Edward Curran, Section 10, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, was born October 27, 1843. A native of Ireland, but raised and educated at Batavia, New York. She first married November 3, 1862, Patrick Ryan, a native of Ireland, but raised in New York; born, 1833; died August 17, 1868, leaving two children - James E., Nellie. She married second time Ed. Curran, October 13, 1870. He was a native of Waterford, Ireland, born 1834, where he was raised. A son of John and Ann (Power), of Ireland. Edward learned the baker's trade, and came to America in 1857. Went to Massachusetts, then to New York, finally to California in 1858, and came to Labette County, Kan., in 1869, and entered 160 acres of land and improved same. Afterward purchased 160 acres more, making one of the finest farms in the Township. He died March 13, 1883, leaving two living children - Annie L. and Mary. Having lost John, Eddie, Annie and two infants. Both of the Catholic Church.
EDWARD DIXON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, Township 31, Ranger 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 240 acres of improved land, surrounded and subdivided by hedge fence. He is a native of White Pigeon, Mich,; born in 1843. A son of George and Theressa (Sourby) Dixon, both of Yorkshire, England. They came to America in 1835 and settled in Michigan, where they remained the balance of their days. Ed. learned the milling business, and worked at same in connection with farming. In 1864 went to Seymore, Ind., and remained till he came to Labette County, and entered his claim December, 1869. During the winters of 1874 and 1875, engaged in the milling business at Parsons. He married Miss Lizzie Haub in 1868, she being a native of England, a daughter of C. and Anna M. Haub. She came to America when one year old and was raised in Indiana. They have three children - George, Edward, jr., and Anna.
E. D. FOYLE, farmer and stock raiser, in Section 6, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 600 acres of fine, improved land, with good building. He is a native of Massachusetts; a son of John and Mary Ogle, both of Ireland; came to America in 1838; E. D., with his parents moved to Bradford County, Pa., where he was raised and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1866 came West, and spent some two years in the employ of the Government in Wyoming Territory. Came to Kansas, and March, 1869, took the claim on which he now resides. He commenced a poor man, and his surroundings are the results of his own industry and good management. February 1, 1878, he married Miss Anna Bride, a native of Bradford County, Pa., a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Bride, both of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Foyle are both members of the Catholic Church. They have two children - John, and Mary.
F. A. JARBOE, farmer and stockman, in Section 20, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 240 acres of fine, improved land, also a fine cattle ranch in Indian Territory. Mr. J. is a native of Hart County, Ky., born February 10, 1844, a son of Benjamin and Ellen (Harrell)Jarboe; the father is of Maryland and the mother is of Grayson County, Ky. When the late war broke out, he enlisted in Company A, Eighth Regiment, Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry, Confederate service, being in the command of Gen. Forest. During an engagement in Alabama he was shot through the body. With his regiment surrendered at Columbus, Miss. In 1868 married Miss Elizabeth White, a native of Grayson County, Ky., born 1850, a daughter of A. and Ann White. Mr. and Mrs. J. came to Labette County, Kan., October 10, 1870, and settled where they now reside. Their family consists of five children - Benjamin A., Ann M., John H., Walter J., Rosa E. Both are members of the Catholic Church.
J. A. JONES, farmer and stock raiser, in Section 22, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 160 acres of land, well improved. He is a native of Summit County, Ohio; born July 17, 1846, a son of Nathan S. and Sarah (Hammond) Jones, both of same county and State, having but two children - J. A., and Oscar who was born March 6, 1843, and died April 21, 1864. J. A. was three years of age when his parents died. He was raised and educated by an uncle, James Hammond, and when ten years of age, with his uncle went to Galesburg. He began life as a school teacher, March 21, 1872, married Miss Jennie Singleton, a native of Crab Orchard, Ky., born May 30, 1848, a daughter of Thomas J. and Ann (Ousley), both of Kentucky, and with family moved to Warren County, Ill., in 1848. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have six children - Allie, Hammond, Addie, Lena, Willie B., and Ella F.
MONROE MATHIS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of finely improved land. He is a native of Spencer County, Ky., and was born in 1837. He is a son of William and Nancy A. Mathis. In 1856, Monroe went to Marion County, Iowa, and engaged in farming. September 21, 1871, he came to Kansas, and located on his present farm, where he has since resided. He married Miss Laura Ables, a native of Henry County, Iowa, who was born in 1841, a daughter of A. Ables, now a resident of Parsons. Mr. and Mrs. M. have seven children - Theodore M., Henry, Harvey, Alice, William Arthur, Leslie, and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Mathis are members of the Presbyterian Church.
ANDREW RAY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 160 acres of finely improved land. He is a native of La Fayette County, Mo., born September 1, 1843, a son of James and Elizabeth (Rias) Ray, both of Virginia, and settled in Missouri in 1841, and when Andrew was three years of age moved to Fulton County, Ill., where he was brought up and began life as a farmer. When at the age of twenty-three years, he married Miss Harriet E. Rutherford, a native of Bond County, Ill., born in 1849, a daughter of James and Jane Rutherford, the father is of Kentucky, a hatter by trade, the mother, of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Ray have five children - Hettie F., Minnie L., George C., Mabel M., Leonard W. Both are church members. Mr. R. possessed only $60 when he located in Kansas, November 10, 1870.
SMITH RICK, farmer and stock grower, in Section 5, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Logansport, Ind., born October 13, 1841, a son of Thomas J. and J. L. (Demorest) Rick, the father a native of Lowell, Mass., born in 1807. When twenty-five years of age went to New York city, and worked at his trade (carpenter); afterward in Baltimore, Md.; finally went to Columbus, Ohio, where he married the mother, that being her native place. She was born in 1822. In 1841 they settled in Logansport, Ind., then went to Fort Wayne, and in 1865 moved to McLean County, Ill., and to Labette County, Kan., in 1870. Smith married in McLean County, Ill., March 5, 1865, Miss Ellen Bradford, a native of Ohio, born September 5, 1839. They settled on a farm in Illinois, and came to Labette County, Kan., October 12, 1870, locating where they now reside, on an improved farm of 240 acres, acquired by industry and good management. They have five children - Emma M., Minnie B., Mary J., John L., William H. Both are church members.
CALVIN SAYLOR, farmer, Section 25, Township 19, Range 31, P. O. Parsons. His farm comprises 160 acres of well improved land, one mile south of Parsons. He came to this county June, 1869, from Wyandotte County, Kan., but came to the State in 1854, being a native of Haran County, Ky,; born February 24, 1834, being a son of Z. B. and Sarah Saylor, both of Kentucky, and settled in Kansas in 1855. The above gentleman commenced life a poor man, and the above estate is from his own industry and good management. When twenty-two years of age was united in marriage to Miss Delilah Edwards, a native of Kentucky, born August 7, 1839, being a daughter of Andrew and Polly Edwards, both of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Saylor's children are Alabama, Mary A., Martha J., William B., Thomas E., James, and Lillie. Mr. and Mrs. Saylor are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
SAMUEL SHAFFER, farmer and stock grower, Section 21, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of 160 acres of well improved land, which he located March 15, 1871. He is a native of Blair County, Pa., born June 1, 1844, a son of William and Catherine Shaffer, both of Huntingdon County, Pa. Samuel was raised on a farm in his native State, where he received a good education. May, 1861, enlisted in Company B. Third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served some three months, and then mustered out, but continued in the employ of the Government till 1862, then enlisted in Company B. One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served nine months, and in August, 1864 enlisted in Two Hundred and Eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, being in all the engagements that the regiment participated in. Mustered out May, 1865, and returned to his home. September 21, 1865, married Miss Clara Henderson, a native of Jefferson County, Pa., born August 5, 1845, being the daughter of George and Jane (Roller) Henderson, both of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. S. have a family of six children - Minnie, Robert, Rosa E., Samuel T., Roller E., Gertrude; having lost Billy.
BENJAMIN TALLMAN, farmer, Section 31, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. He is a native of New Jersey, born March 14, 1827; is a son of Woodminsee and Eliza (Reed) Tallman, both of New Jersey. Benjamin, when three years old, moved with his parents to Logan County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and February 3, 1848, he married Miss Elizabeth Stratton, a native of Logan County, Ohio, born January 12, 1828. Her parents were of Virginia, and settled in Ohio at an early day. Mr. T. and wife settled on a farm in Logan County, Ohio, in 1861, moved to Union County, Ohio, on a farm, and lived there until they came to Labette County, Kan., October, 1870. Mrs. Tallman died March 29, 1879, leaving a family of nine children - Lenora N., Joel, Rachel M., Ann C., Eliza C., Emma J., Samuel A., Elizabeth H., Margaret E. Mr. Tallman's farm consists of 152 acres of finely improved land, devoted to grain and grass, well watered.
B. R. VANMETER, M. D., breeder of short-horn cattle, Section 15, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Douglas County, Ill., born January 21, 1846; is a son of Isaac S. and Elizabeth (Williams) Vanmeter; the father is a native of Ohio and the mother of Kentucky. They settled on Little Darby, in Pickaway County, Ohio, and in 1832 located in Douglas County, Ill., the father being an extensive stock breeder, and built the third log cabin in that county. B. R. was educated at Charleston, Ill., and read medicine under Dr. H. R. Allen, of Indianapolis, Ind., and graduated at Long Island Medical College, in July, 1872, being a charter member of the Surgical Institution at Indianapolis and was connected with the same some seven years. He came to Kansas and was engaged in the drug business from 1872 to 1873, in connection with his profession. In 1880 he went to Gunnison City, Col., remaining one year. While there, he was connected with real estate in connection with his profession. After returning to Kansas he engaged in the cattle business. His farm consists of 480 acres within one mile of Parsons, also having a cattle ranch in Elk County, Kan. January 9, 1873, he married Miss Frank R. Mullen, a native of Wayne County, Ohio, born August 8, 1846, a daughter of James and Elizabeth (Lee) Mullen; the father is a native of Pennsylvania and the mother of Ohio. The doctor's family consists of four children, as follows - William J., Lillian L., Isaac D. and Benola, having lost Benjamin and Lizzie. Mrs. V. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
CHARLES H, WICKERSHAM, Hillsdale fruit farm, Section 2, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons. His farm consists of ninety-five acres, thirty-five devoted to fruit of all kinds. He moved here in 1872. He was born August 28, 1829, in Pittsburgh, Pa., corner of Wood and Market streets; is a son of Elijah and Rhoda Wickersham; the father was born at Wilmington, Del., and married in Maryland, where his wife was born and raised. They settled in Pittsburgh, Pa., where he was engaged in wire manufacture. Charles G., when eight years of age, with his parents, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and received a good education at the Woodward College. When seventeen years of age he entered Springer & Whiteman's wholesale grocery as entering clerk, and when twenty-one years of age was junior partner of the same, and in the course of four years became sole proprietor, doing an extensive business. In 1857 he endorsed heavily for Hinkle, Gill & Co, and through their failure was obliged to close up his business. He then went to New York City, and invested $11,400 in coffee and rice and shipped to Chicago. All was lost by fire, leaving him $100. He then began at Chicago as a wood speculator and in 1858, opened a large fruit store in the corner of Water and River streets, doing an extensive jobbing trade for twelve years. Finally, on account of poor health, closed out the business and settled where he now resides. For the past three years he has been complimented with railroad passes by the Kansas State Board of Agriculture, also making large displays of fruit, receiving his share of honors. The proceeds of his fruit farm for 1882 netted him $2,750. He married November 20, 1860, Miss Florence M. Heagy, born March 20, 1839, and reared at Gettysburgh, Pa., but was educated in Baltimore, Md. She was a daughter of James and Susan Heagy, both natives of Pennsylvania. When Florence M. was thirteen years of age the family moved to Chicago, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. W. have three children - Fannie E., Charles E. and George H., having lost three - Forney W., Florence E. and Roy H.
A. P. WILSON, farmer and breeder of Poland China hogs, Section 36, Township 31, Range 19, P. O. Parsons, is a native of Darke County, Ohio, and was born in 1847. He completed his education at Dayton, Ohio. In 1874, went to Colorado Springs, Col., and started a sheep ranch. In the course of time came to Labette County and accepted a position as book-keeper in the Commercial Bank in Parsons, March, 1881. Purchased the farm on which he now lives, consisting of 160 acres of finely improved land, two miles south of Parsons. While a resident of Darke County, Ohio, was identified as Deputy Sheriff two years. When twenty-two years of age married Miss J. Wiley, who was born in 1849. They have three children, Clement, George B., William W. Mr. and Mrs. W. are both members of the Presbyterian Church.