|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (RANDALL - WRIGHT).
GILBERT A. RANDALL, manager of S. A. Brown & Company's Oswego lumber yards, is a native of the Burrough of Newtown, Bucks Co., Pa., born January 11, 1838. From the age of two years he was reared in New Jersey. In 1868 he removed to Delaware, remaining here until he moved to Kansas City in September, 1880, remaining there until March, 1881. Since May 12th, of that year, he has had charge of S. A. Brown & Co's lumber business at Oswego. Prior to leaving New Jersey he had been engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and while in Delaware he was also connected with the lumber trade in the town of Seaford, Sussex County. While at Kansas City he did quite an extensive business in oysters at 811 Main street. Mr. R. was married at Trenton, N. J., in September, 1864, to Cordelia E. Manners, a native of Wertsville, Hunterdon County, N. J. They have two children - Bertha A. and Harry M.
E. T. READ, hardware merchant, was born at Vernon, Jennings Co., Ind., December 24, 1841. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Comapny H, Twenty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; served two years and one month, and was in all the engagements of his command during that period. He enlisted as a private, but for about a year prior to leaving the army he was Second Lieutenant. He was discharged on account of disability caused by sickness. Returned to Indiana and remained until he came to Oswego, in the fall of 1868. He has served as a member of the Board of Education, and is now serving a second term as Alderman of the Second Ward. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was married at Vernon, Ind., May 30, 1864, to Sarah Vawter, a native of that place. They have four children - Virginia, born at Vernon, Ind.; Smith Howard, born at Oswego, Kan,; Daisie Belle, born at Oswego, Kan,; and Bert, born at Oswego, Kan. Mr. Read has been engaged in the hardware business since 1864. His brothers, Merritt and John S. Read, were associated with him here for several years, the widow and children of John S. being now interested in the business. When Read Bros, began business here, they had a small frame building 22x40 feet. The present store is brick, 24x100 feet, two stories, with a brick warehouse 24x28 feet, one story.
R. J. REEKIE, ticket and freight agent of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Company, is a native of Fyfeshire, Scotland. Came to America when sixteen years of age, and resided in Missouri most of the time until he came to Oswego, in January, 1881. He has been engaged in railroad business since 1878. Besides his other duties, he does the telegraph business of the "Frisco" road at this point. He is a member of the K. of P. Mr. R. is one of the young railroad men of the West who has rapidly advanced to an important station.
E. R. ROSE, photographer, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, July 24, 1851. Lived in his native county until 1868, then removed to Carthage, Mo., living there until he came to Humboldt, Kan., in 1881. He removed from Humboldt to Oswego, October 15, 1882. Mr. Rose does all kinds of photographic work, and does crayon and water-color painting; makes tintypes, gem pictures, etc. He was married at Carthage, Mo., February 25, 1872, to Martha J. Thompson, a native of Peoria, Ill. They have three children - John Perry, Effie J. and Rettie C., the two youngest being twins.
WILLIAM SANFORD was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, June 14 1839. Came to the United States when but six years of age, his parents locating on a farm in Brown County, Ill., where they remained until 1850, when they moved to Hannibal, Mo., where he lived until 1854, when his parents both having died, and being compelled to depend upon himself, he went back to Brown County, Ill., locating in Mt. Sterling, and began learning the saddiery and harness business with Mr. A. J. Hunter, with whom worked two years, when Mr. Hunter dying, he went to Jacksonville, Ill., where he finished his trade with J. D. Stacy, and then worked in several towns and counties in Illinois, finally going to Tuscola, Douglas Co., Ill., where he was working when the war broke out. He enlisted in Company D. Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry for three years, his term of enlistment expiring when in front of Kenesaw Mountain, Ga., while a desperate battle was being fought. After his discharge, he went to Nashville, Tenn., working for the government at his trade for two years, and during this time saving some money. In the fall of 1866 he and his brother started a saddle and harness shop at New Madrid, Mo., the style of the firm being William Sanford & Bro.; but the business did not pay, and they sold out and went to Central City, Col., and were in business there for a short time, but found it did not pay them, and they again sold out. They then worked in Denver, Col., and from there went to Oswego, Labette County, where they arrived late in the fall of 1869. In January, 1870, they purchased a lot and built a shop to carry on the manufacturing of saddles and harness, and soon after purchased a farm, two and one-half miles south of town, and improved it; then sold it, and bought another of 160 acres half a mile from the city, it being a fruit and dairy farm. In 1880 Mr. Sanford bought his brother's interest in the business, and in now manufacturing saddles and harness, boots and shoes, and is also selling a well assorted line of Eastern-made boots and shoes, and his store is considered headquarters for boots and shoes in Oswego. Mr. Sanford belongs to the Labette Horticultural Society, and is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Society, having a policy of $2,000, and was a member of the fire company for eight years. He was married in Oswego, Kan., October, 8, 1875, to M. Ella Bowman, a native of Pike County, Ill. They have two beautiful little girls - Bessie and Nola. He owns a very comfortable residence in the south part of the city, free from all encumbrance, and says he is perfectly contented; that he came to Kansas to stay, has not changed his mind yet, and hopes he never will.
L. SAWYER & CO., merchants, wholesale and retail dealers in dry-goods, groceries and general merchandise, also, wholesale dealers in produce. E. P. and Edgar Sawyer, brothers, two enterprising young men who acquired an extensive business experience while connected with New York and Chicago wholesale houses. E. P. Sawyer was born at Buda, Bureau Co., Ill.; was educated in the city of New York, from 1856 to 1860. He was connected with the well known tobacco commission house of Sawyer, Wallace & Co. the largest establishment of the kind in the world. He was afterward with Bowen, Hunt & Winslow, wholesale dry-goods merchants of Chicago, until 1871, then with Sweet, Dempster & Co., wholesale dealers in hats, caps, etc., until 1879. In October, 1879, the firm of L. Sawyer & Co., at Oswego, Kas., was established. He was married at Rock Island, Ill., May 6, 1863, to Jennie W. Wilmans, a native of Carmi, Ill. They have one child, Gracie T. Edgar Sawyer is also a native of Bureau County, Ill., and was for several years with Phelps, Dodge & Palmer, a Chicago wholesale boot and shoe house, prior to coming to Oswego, in October, 1879.
R. L. SHARP, lumber dealer, is a native of Monroe County, Mo.: born June 23, 1843, removed to Kirksville, Mo., in 1868, and to Oswego, Kas., in April, 1878. He is extensively engaged in the lumber business at this point, and at several places in Southern Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and A. O. U. W. He was married at Canton, Mo., October, 1876, to Annie Ellison, a native of that place. They have one child, Juliet.
JOHN SHOTLIFF, wagon manufacturer, was born in Lincolnshire, England, June 26, 1828. He came to America in the spring of 1850, located at Kenosha, Wis., and was engaged in wagon making there from 1852 until 1869, when he removed to Neosho, Mo, where he continued in the same business until 1882, when he came to Oswego, Kas. He has erected a large and elegant brick wagon factory here, 50x100 feet and in constructing a new two-story building, 34x80. With the increased room and facilities, he expects to manufacture one wagon per day. He uses only the best materials in the construction of wagons. Mr. Shotliff's first wife was Eliza Kirk, a native of Donnington, Lincolnshire, England. They were married in 1851, at Kenosha, Wis. She died in 1873. Four children survive her - Emma E., now Mrs. William Crum, of Neosho, Mo.; David H., associated with his father, in the wagon manufacturing business; Frank W., also with his father in same business, and Nellie F. Mr. S. was married to his present wife, Emma J. Britton, at Neosho, Mo., in 1875. She is a native of Missouri. They have two children - Jennie M., and John R. Mr. Shotliff has been an Odd Fellow since 1852.
A. T. SHROUT, farmer, Section 17, P.O. Oswego, was born in 1840, in Kentucky. His father, A. W. Shrout, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1812 and is still living in that Sate. His mother was born in Kentucky in 1815, and still lives there. His mother's ancestors were English; his father's were German. After receiving a common school education he entered the mercantile business, which he followed several years. He was married in 1868 to Sally Q. Belt, of Upper Blue Licks, Fleming Co., Ky. His wife was born in 1849, in the same county and State. They have four children - Early, born May 4, 1869; Lillie B. born February 28, 1871; Nettie A., born April 19, 1875, and died February 3, 1881; Alva W., born September 19, 1877. From 1865 to 1871, Mr. Schrout was Postmaster of Blue Licks, Ky. In 1871 he emigrated to Kansas, where he purchased eighty acres of land, afterwards purchasing 160 more, where he now lives. Having tilled his farm for eight years, he engaged in the business of selling seeds and implements in the firm of Shrout & Ball. In 1881 he went back to the farm. Mr. Shrout is a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter of the Masonic fraternity.
GEORGE F. SMITH, livery, was born in Germany, December 23, 1845; was reared in Wayne County, Ohio, from the age of four years. In 1865 he moved to Fayette County, Ill., and was engaged in farming for four years, and engaged in railroad construction one year in Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1870, and for six years continued railroad work, being connected with the building of the M. K. & T. R. R., four years, and two years in other departments. Was afterward in the livery business at St. Elmo, Ill., and Altamont, Ill,; also shipping hogs and grain. He came from St. Elmo to Oswego, in January, 1882. He engaged in the flour and feeding business until April, 1882; them engaged in buying and shipping hogs. He engaged in the livery business September 5, 1882. Mr. Smith was married at St. Elmo, Ill., February 28, 1875, to Emma C. Fletcher, a native of Illinois.
W. A. STARR, County Auditor, was born in Perrysburg, Cattarangus Co., N. Y., November 15, 1842; lived there until the spring of 1860, when he removed to Elgin, Kane Co. Ill. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry served until July, 1863. He was then discharged on account of disability, caused by sickness, Pea Ridge being the last battle he participated in. He came to Kansas in April, 1867, locating on Section 11, Township 29, Range 21 Walnut Township, Neosho County. Remained there until May, 1869, when he located in Mound Valley Township, Labette County, on Section 16, Range 18, Township 32. In 1871 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and served two years. He was elected County Commissioner, and served in that position four years. He was Deputy County Clerk during the years of 1878-79-80 and 1881. He was appointed County Auditor in 1882. He is one of the original members of the Labette County Historical Association. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and Masonic fraternity. In April, 1878, he removed from Mound Valley to Oswego. He read law and was admitted to the bar in July, 1880. Mr. Starr was married in Walton township, November 7, 1877, to Ann C. Dell, daughter of Benjamin Tallman, an early settler of Walton Township, Labette County. Mrs. Starr was born in Union County, Ohio, December 3, 1854. They have two children - Gertrude and Margaret Pearl.
D. M. STICE, grocer, was born in Illinois in 1834. His father, Robert S. Stice, died in 1838; was a native of North Carolina; emigrated to Kentucky, and from thence to Illinois in 1808; was in the war of 1812, and at the age of seventeen, was with Andrew Jackson at New Orleans, and fought behind the cotton bales; was also in the Black Hawk War, and was present at the capture of that celebrated Indian chief, in 1832. Mr. D. M. Stice received a liberal education at the Illinois College at Jacksonville. He then engaged in the mercantile business at Alexander, Morgan Co., Ill.; was married to Melissa Hamilton, of Morgan County, February 14, 1859. Her parents were from Tennessee. Her father, B. F. Hamilton, was killed at Pittsburg Landing. He was a member of Company H, Thirty-second Illinois, and enlisted in 1861. They have six children - William Edward, James Lincoln, Lena Florence, Charles Benjamin, George Thomas and Bertram Hamilton. Mr. Stice came to Kansas, March 15, 1873, engaging in the grocery business. In 1876, he went into the business of manufacturing lumber and running a steam thresher. November 15, 1882, he again commenced the grocery business, under the firm name of Stice & Bro., Commercial street, Oswego.
WILLIAM P. STEELE, farmer, P.O. Oswego, was born in Clark County, Ill., June 6, 1846, where he was also brought up and educated. He enlisted, in August, 1862, in Company K, One Hundred and Thirtieth Illinois, which was afterward consolidated, and formed the Seventy-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was in the Department of the Gulf, and in service along the Mississippi, and at Vicksburg, Fort Hudson, etc. He was taken prisoner at Sabine Cross Roads, and was in Texas when he escaped, but was re-captured, and spent the remainder of his time at Shreveport. A rebel bullet knocked him down, which was the cause of his capture, The skin on the top of his head was cut. He was mustered out in July, 1865. In the summer of 1867, he came to Kansas, and was married, December 13, 1869, to Mary A. Park, of Monroe County, Ohio. She was born November 8, 1845. Mr. Steel's ancestry were Scotch. His mother is still living in Marshall, Clark Co., Ill. He has a pleasant home with shade and fruit trees. They have three children - Walter P., John Ralph and Jennet Kemble. Mr. Steel's father was Captain in Company K, First Missouri Cavalry. A brother, Andrew, was in the Sixty-second Illinois. Mr. S. was a prisoner thirteen months and nineteen days.
M. F. SULLIVAN, proprietor of Oswego Marble Works, is a native of Massachusetts, born January 12, 1833; afterward resided in New York, the Southern States and Iowa until he came to Kansas; most of the time was a resident of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, until November, 1876, when he located at Oswego. He has been working at the marble business since he was fourteen years of age. Mr. S. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery. He is also an Ancient Odd Fellow. He was married, at Warren County, Ill., January 6, 1858, to Catherine Fagan. They have seven children - Eugene, Altona, Ruth, Ernest, Carlotte, Amira and Victor.
O. R. SYMMES, druggist, was born at Shawneetown, Ill.; reared at Mattoon, Ill.; came to Oswego in April, 1870, having resided at Kansas City for two years and a half prior to locating here. He has been connected with the drug business for the last fifteen years. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was married, at Oswego, Kan., December 10, 1878, to Mary Barnes, a native of Eau Claire, Wis.
SCOTT TAYLOR, jeweler, was born in Fowler, Trumbull Co,. Ohio, December 10, 1855; lived in his native State until April, 1872, when he came to Towanda, Butler Co., Kan., that being his home until the fall of 1876, when he located at Oswego, engaging in jewelry business here. He is a member of the Jewelers' League, of New York City. He was married, at Towanda, Kan., in October, 1876, to Clara G. Wheeler, a native of Ohio. They have one child - Arthur Ray. Mr. T.'s father, Hannibal, is a jewler at Neodesha, Kan.
P. A. TERRY, M. D., homoeopathic physician and surgeon, is a native of Canada West and was born near Fort Niagara, nine miles below Niagara Falls, December 11, 1829: lived in Calhoun county, Ill., from 1840 to 1846. In the latter year he located in Council Grove, Iowa. In 1859 he went to California and remained in that region of the country until August, 1867, when he located in Edgar County, Ill., remaining there until September, 1877, when he removed to St. Louis, where he was engaged in the practice of medicine until he came to Oswego in November, 1880. The doctor was educated at the Missouri Homoeopathic Medical College. He is a member of the State Homoeopathic Medical Association.
DR. WILLIAM P. TUCKER, dentist, is a native of Leavenworth, Ind., born May 1, 1839, educated in Crawford and Washington Counties, Ind., and began the study of dentistry at Mount Vernon, Ind., in 1867, engaging in practice in his native place, afterwards at Campbellsburg and Salem, Ind., coming from the latter place to Kansas in August, 1880. October 4 of the same year he located at Oswego. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He enlisted as a private, August 5, 1861, in Company E. First Indiana Volunteer Cavalry. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant and then to Captain of his company. He was detailed for staff duty, serving on the staff of Gen. Ross; later, on that of Gen. Solomon. He had charge of the steamer Homer, at Camden, Ark., captured from the Rebels. After making use of the cargo of corn he sank the steamer when the Union troops evacuated that place in April, 1864. He resigned in March, 1864, and after spending a short time at Little Rock he returned to Indiana. The doctor was married September 8, 1864, at Salem, Ind., to Sallie Weir, a native of that place. They have one child, Anna E.
J. F. WASKEY, merchant, was born at Keosauqua, Van Buren Co., Iowa, February 24, 1843. From September, 1854, until February, 1861, he lived at Westport, Mo. He then engaged in the mercantile business at Emporia, Kan., continuing in business there until he located at Oswego, in October, 1867. After coming here, he dealt in general merchandise for some time, then engaged in clothing, gents' furnishing goods and boot and shoe trade exclusively, carrying one of the most complete stocks in this part of the State. He is one of the most popular and reliable merchants in Kansas. He has served one term as Mayor and as City Treasurer several years. Mr. W. was married at Westport, Mo., April 9, 1866, to Sarah E. Sager, a native of that place. They have two children, Dick S. and Blanche E.
CHRISTOPHER WERNER, dealer in meat, was born in Bavaria, Germany, 1853. He immigrated with his parents to Perry County, Ind., 1865, where he lived on a farm. In 1872 they moved to Bureau County, Ill., where they purchased a farm on which his parents and their family now live. Mr. Werner has six brothers, and three sisters - Charles, Philip, Jacob, Lewis, Adam, Henry, Kate, Lizzie and Louisa. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1879, and settled in Oswego where he engaged in the meat business, which occupation he now follows. His shop is on Fourth avenue, nearly opposite the Oswego House. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and also of the K. of P.
C. A. WILKIN, attorney, and also proprietor of abstracts and engaged in the money brokerage business, etc., was born in Edgar County, Ill., May 10, 1854, lived there until he came to Kansas in September, 1868, locating first at Fort Scott, where he was employed as a clerk until March, 1869, when he came to Oswego. After coming here, he secured a position in the office of the Register of Deeds and held that clerkship for three or four years, reading law during that time. He was admitted to the bar, November 16, 1875, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession. He is proprietor of complete abstracts of title of Labette County property, having a set of books at Oswego, and another set at Chetopa. He does quite an extensive loan business, and represents several first class insurance companies. He is proprietor of the only cotton gin in the county, and is quite extensively engaged in cotton culture, putting in this year, 1883, about two hundred acres of cotton. He estimates that there will be from 800 to 1,000 acres of cotton raised in Labette County this year. He has two fine farms in this county. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F.
LEE WILLIAMS, M. D., was born near Pleasant Hill, Miami County, Ohio, June 23, 1850. He was educated in the public schools of his native county. He read medicine at Pleasant Hill, Doctors S. W. Keister and J. A. Sterrett being his preceptors. He graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1877, and began practice at Tippecanoe City, Ohio, and came to Oswego April 23, 1878, remaining in practice here since that time. He is a member of the Southeastern Kansas Medical Society, also of the Labette County organization. He is also a member of the order of A., F. & A. M. The doctor was married at Phillipsburg, Montgomery Co., Ohio, October 27, 1870, to Lucy Davenport, a native of Phillipsburg. They have one child, Cora Lee.
C. B. WOODFORD, cigar manufacturer, was born near Sharon, Morgan Co., Ohio, December 25, 1839, and lived there until 1855, then moved to Drakeville, Davis Co., Iowa, that being his home until he came to Kansas in November, 1867, locating in Montana Township, Labette County, where he lived until February, 1869, when he located in Oswego, engaging in the grocery trade here, which he continued until 1874, afterward for five years he was in the wholesale liquor business. In 1880 he conducted the dining hall at the San Francisco & St. Louis depot. At this point and in 1881 he engaged in his present business, manufacturing cigars and dealing in tobacco and smokers' goods. He has served six years as Alderman of the First ward, and is also serving a third year as under Sheriff of Labette County. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., G. A. R., and Excelsior Fire Company. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company A. Third Iowa Cavalry. He was on detached duty, serving as foraging master until July, 1862, afterward mail and despatch bearer and agency aid for the Governor, being in the service until September, 1864. He was married at Drakeville, Iowa, July 9, 1861, to Caroline M. Blankinship, a native of Davis County, Iowa, she being the first white child born in that county. They have five children, Charles D. Martha, Eva, Willard A., Jesse Grant, and Harry Wright.
C. E. WOODEN, proprietor Southside Hotel, was born 1836, in Huron County, Ohio. His grandfather come from England to Dutchess County, N. Y., about the time of the Revolution. His father died in Ohio, in 1882. His mother is still living in Oswego, Kas. Mr. Wooden lived in his native State until 1869, when he emigrated to Kansas, settling in Labette County on a farm west of Oswego. In 1878 he moved into the town, where he was elected Marshal of the city, which position he filled one and one-half years. He was also elected to the office of Street Commissioner one year. He was appointed to take charge of the county jail. In the spring of 1882 he took charge of the Southside Hotel. Mr. W. was married on October 2, 1861, to Sally Ann Pancost, of Huron County, Ohio. She was born in 1840, in the same State. They have five children, Jennie, Arnold, Belle, Eddie and Ella. Mr. Wooden's house is pleasantly located, the table good, and charges moderate. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. Society.
S. N. WOODRUFF, farmer, southeast quarter Section 18, P. O. Oswego, was born near Mansfield, Richland Co., Ohio, in 1822. After completing his education at the common schools he worked on the farm until 1848, when he removed to Noble County, Ind., near Albion, where he resided until October, 1881, when he emigrated to Kansas, settling in Labbette County, and purchased 160 acres of land near Oswego, where he has erected a beautiful home. Mr. Woodruff's grandfather came from England just before the War of the Revolution and was a soldier in that from its commencement until its close. He died in New York at the age of ninety-one. Samuel Woodruff, his father, came from Connecticut to New York, and from thence to Ohio, at an early day. Afterward he moved to Indiana and died there at the advanced age of ninety-three. Enos Barnes, a soldier of the Revolution, was his maternal ancestor. Mr. W. was married in 1848 to Ellen Douglas, of Richland County, Ohio, by whom he had three children, Morris, died December 19, 1854, Lucy, married to Dr. Cazier, and living in Burlingame, Kas,; Albert, who died February 11, 1853. Mrs. W. died in 1852. Mr. W. married Sarah M. Douglass May 2, 1856, a sister of the former, by whom he had four children, Ellen C., Flora B. now married to Charles M. Clapp, a noted banker of Indiana, Charles B. and Inez, now deceased. His second wife died August 23, 1873. Mr. Woodruff married Mrs. E. Myers November 25, 1875. She was born in 1833, in Huron County, Ohio, and educated at Albion, Ind. Her father's name was James Skinner, one of the first settlers of Noble County, Ind., and died in 1873. Mrs. W. has two brothers, Alfred and Harrison living not far from Oswego. Mrs. Woodruff had five children by her first husband, Julius, who died in 1875; W. D. Myers, a merchant tailor in Albion, Ind.; Webster D. Myers with his brother in the same occupation at Emporia, Kas.; Clara B. Myers, living with her parents. Mr. Woodruff and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
R. W. WRIGHT, M. D. proprietor of the Pioneer Drug Store, Oswego, Kansas, was born in Milllington, Yorkshire, England, December 23, 1824, and came with his father, William Wright, to America, when fourteen years of age; first settled in Burtonsville on the old Escohara Creek, Montgomery Co., N. Y., then moved to Bellona, Yates Co., N. Y., and worked for Henry Coleman for five years; at twenty-one read medicine in Penn Yan, N. Y., with Dr. D. R. Gerow; attended medical lectures in Geneva, N. Y. In the spring of 1848, he married Lota A. Whaite, in the town of Abington, Luzerne Co., Pa., and the same year emigrated West, and located in Emerald Grove, near Janesville, Wis., remaining there until the spring of 1850, when he moved to Iowa, and became one of the first settlers of Independence. In July, 1861, he raised a company and enlisted as a private soldier in the same company for three years; was detailed to take charge of the Hospital at Franklin, Mo. In the winter of 1861-62 and after the battle of Pea Ridge, Ark., was promoted to Captain of Company C. Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; after the Battle of Vicksburg, he was appointed Recruiting Agent by the Government, for the Dubuque District of Iowa, and held that position until the close of the war. In 1865, after an absence of twenty-eight years, he visited his old home in England; returning he located temporarily in Springfield, Mo., until the summer of 1867, and in July of that year he located at Oswego, Kan., and was one of the original members of the Town Company and built the first frame house July 20, 1867. It was a building 16x24, with a side shed which served as store and residence. It was built on the corner diagonally from the old Oswego House, which was afterwards removed to give place to Capt. Parker's late residence. He carried on the drug and grocery business, and his was the Pioneer Drug House. He was a member of the Town Company until it was dissolved, in 1881, and was the first Secretary of the same. He was elected as Estate Railroad Assessor for three years, and served as a member of the Legislature, being the member who introduced the first resolution providing for an appropriate representation of the products of Kansas, at the great World's Centennial Exhibition which was held at Philadelphia, in 1876. It was only after a most persistent fight that the passage of the bill appropriating $25,000 for the exhibition was secured, resulting in the greatest benefit to the State, Kansas being able to make one of the most magnificent exhibits of any State in the Union. Gov. Osborn recognizing the credit that was due to Mr. Wright for the interest he had taken in his endeavor to have the products of this State prominently brought before the people of the world, at once appointed him as one of the Centennial Managers to the exhibition of Kansas, at the great World's Exhibition at Philadelphia in 1876. He has served three terms as Mayor of the city of Oswego, and has held various other offices. He has been prominently identified with all the railroads in southeastern Kansas, which would be likely to benefit that region; he was instrumental in securing the M. K. & T. R. R. to Oswego, and was the originator and the president of the Spring Valley & southern Kansas Railroad, which afterwards was called the Memphis Carthage & Northwestern Railroad, and was vice president and one of the directors until the road was graded to Oswego; he also was the father of Independence, Kan., by organizing the Town Company and laying out the town in August 1869, in the county of Montgomery, Kan. He named the town in honor of his old home in Iowa. He was also elected president of the Kansas State Medical Association, and is now a member of that society. The doctor has spent the last two years in California, but has now returned and settled permanently in his old home, Oswego, Kansas.