|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Bonita is a small town situated about five miles south of Olathe on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. The village was first named Alta by the Railroad company on account of it being at the highest spot on their road; but there being another postoffice in the State by that name, the name of this town was changed to Bonita, Spanish for beautiful. The name is very appropriate, because of the beauty of the surrounding rolling prairie.
The first settlement was made there by Frank Temple and William Jobi, October 17, 1879. The postoffice was established in December, 1879, F. Gilbert being appointed first Postmaster. Mr. Gilbert also opened a store in the same month on the north side of Main street. The first birth was that of John Temple, December 1, 1881, and the first death that of Miss Annie McElheny, July 17, 1880.
Shawnee (formerly Gum Springs) is situated in the northern part of the county, one mile from the railroad station at Merriam, on undulating prairie adjoining timber. It was named after the Shawnee Indians. The first settlement here was made by J. D. Allen, August 10, 1857. Other early settlers were William Holmes, Richard Williams, J. T. Rowland, W. B. Maupin and A. W. Wear.
The first marriage that was solemnized here was between Timothy Keeser and Martha Patton, September 9, 1857; the first birth that of Robert P. Keeser, June 10, 1858; and the first death that of Mrs. W. B. Maupin, in July, 1858.
The first school was taught in the spring of 1858, in an old Indian Meeting-house. The first schoolhouse was built in 1866, near the southwest corner of the public square. In September, 1857, Rev. William Holmes preached the first sermon in the town. A church was built many years previous to the location of the town, called the Shawnee Indian Methodist Episcopal Church (South).
The postoffice was established in July, 1858, M. P. Randall first Postmaster. In 1858, W. B. Maupin built a steam saw and grist mill about 400 yards west of the public square. F. Conant opened a store on the south side of the public square. F. Conant opened a store on the south side of the public square August 10, 1857.
At Shawnee (or Gum Springs, as it was then called) was held the first District Court in the fall of 1857, where resided all the county officers, J. D. Allen was appointed Justice of the Peace by the County Commissioners, in September, 1857, and has held the office ever since.
At the present time Shawnee contains two dry goods stores, one grocery, one blacksmith, one harness shop, one hotel, other places of business and about 400 inhabitants.
The town was twice pillaged and burned by Quantrell, the first time in 1862, and again in 1864, burning thirteen houses at each time and murdering four or five of the people.
Shawnee Methodist Mission was located two and a half miles southwest of Westport, Mo. At the present time there remain the following buildings, which were for many years the scene of the labors of Rev. Thomas Johnson and others for the advancement of the Indians:
The former residence of Rev. Mr. Johnson, a two-story brick, the main part being 24X52, and the wing 24X42, costing when built about $20,000. In 1880 it was purchased by Robert Plunkett, of Kansas City, and by him put in thorough repair, and occupied as a hotel. This building was used by the bogus Legislature in 1855, as the place of holding its first sessions. Besides this hotel there are two other large brick buildings, one of them, during the days of the Mission, used as sleeping apartments by the students in attendance upon the mission school, which is a two-story brick, 100X30; and the other also a two-story brick building, 110X30 feet, which was used for the mission school. Both these buildings are occupied by tenant families, and are gradually going to decay. There is also a district schoolhouse, built in 1873, and a store, blacksmith shop and postoffice. Here is a mineral spring, said to possess great healing powers, which was called by the Indians "medicine water." About a mile southwest of the mission is a famous spring, which has long been know by the name of "Cottonwood Spring." It is at this place that Fremont pitched his first camp after leaving Independence, Mo., on his tour across the plains, and hence the spring is sometimes called Fremont's Spring. A stream of excellent water, one and a half inches in diameter, constantly flows from it with considerable force, the temperature of the water being 54 (degrees).
Mrs. Elizabeth Carter. - This history is indebted to the Kansas Historical Society for the following sketch: At the time of her death, Mrs. Carter was the oldest white woman born in Kansas, and was probably the first white female child born within the limits of the State. She was the youngest daughter of Rev. Robert Simerwell, and was born at the Shawnee Baptist Mission, Johnson County, January 24, 1835. When she was about three years old her father moved to Pottawatomie Creek, now in Franklin County, Kan., where she commenced her education in the Indian school taught by Miss E. McCoy. Her father then sent her a few terms to school in Missouri, after which she attended the Monticello Seminary in Illinois, for three years. She taught one year at the Pottawatomie Baptist Mission School, which was situated about three miles west of Topeka. Her mother's health being poor she returned home in the summer of 1855, to Six Mile Creek, in Williamsport Township, Shawnee County. Her mother died in November of that year. In 1859 she taught school in what is now District No. 4, in Williamsport Township, in a little log dwelling house which was built by her father. About the year 1869, she taught a term among the Ottawa Indians, near Ottawa, previous to the Government founding the Ottawa University. In the summers of 1861 and 1862, she taught at Shawnee Center, Williamsport Township, and in the village of Auburn in the years 1863 and 1864. In the summer of 1865, she taught in Ottawa, on the corner of Locust and Second streets. She was married to John S. Carter, March 1, 1866, since which time she has lived near the village of Auburn, Shawnee County. She was converted in her fifteenth year and was baptized by Elder Jacob Knapp at Alton, Ill., and has been an active member of the Baptist Church ever since. She died after a week's illness of pneumonia, January 3, 1883. The funeral services were conducted by her Pastor, Rev. Mr. Stevenson, who spoke from the words, "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord." She leaves, besides her devoted husband, six children, the oldest fourteen and the youngest four.
Lenexa is situated on the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, seven miles northeast of Olathe, and is surrounded by an excellent farming country. The Railroad Company bought the town site, in 1869, of C. A. Bradshaw, laid out the town and disposed of lots to different parties, among whom, were D. Brickley and Dr. G. M. Bower. The first store in the town was opened by Lee Freeman, in 1869; the second by Dr. Bower, in 1870, and the third by Rush & Gintner. H. D. Gillette moved to Lenexa, in 1870, and started the first blacksmith shop. Among the early settlers in the town were James Rush and Edwin Bradshaw. David Duff moved in in 1871. The post office was established in 1870. Lee Freeman being first Postmaster. The first birth in the town was that of Willis Bower, January 19, 1869; the first marriage, that of John Bower, to Miss Mary Bradshaw, in 1873, and the first death, that of George Bower, also in 1873.
The Methodist Church was built in 1878, costing $1,200, during the pastorate of Rev. E. H. Bailiff. Mr. Bailiff has been succeeded by Revs. John Griffins, A. G. Murray and W. Zimmermann, the present pastor. The Catholic Church was organized, and their church edifice built in 1881. The building cost $1,000, and is a neat frame structure.
The Fountain Head Mill, was erected in 1879, by John Ernshaw and C. W. Miller. It is a two story frame, with two run of buhrs, and cost 4,000. It has a capacity of thirty barrels of flour in twenty-four hours.
Lenexa contains at the present time two stores, two blacksmith shops, two churches, the grist mill, and about seventy-five inhabitants.
Hector is situated on moderately level prairie. The first settlement was made here by John Dyche, in 1857, other early settlers were J. D. Jennison, Levy Clark and Thomas James. In 1858 the first school was taught by John Hollingsworth, in a house belonging to Levy Clark. A schoolhouse was built in 1865. The postoffice was established in 1866, John Dyche being appointed first Postmaster.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1868 or 1869, and a church building erected about the same time, It is a brick building 28X40 and cost $4,300. The Methodists have a frame church which was built at an expense of about $3,000. In the year 1868, a difficulty arose between Thomas Cisad and Louis Jarbo, about an eighty acre piece of land, in which the latter was killed. Cisad gave bail, left the country and never returned.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP.
JAMES D. ALLEN, Shawnee, was born in Greensburg, Ky., in 1812. He began business life when very young; was for ten years in the office of Clerk of that county and Circuit Court. In 1833 he moved to Sangamon County, Ill. and for ten years was engaged in mercantile business at Athens, then returned to Greensburg where he followed the same business until he came to Kansas in August, 1857, at which time he located at Shawnee and engaged in mercantile business, carrying it on for several years, since which time he has devoted himself to farming and gardening. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in November, 1857, and has been elected every second year since, with the exception of two years during the war, when he was driven off by guerrillas. He has for the past twenty years been Notary Public, and was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, held in March, 1858, at Minneola. Mr. Allen was married in Sangamon County, Ill., in 1835, to Adeline Constant; they have two children: Martha E. and Emily F.
THOMAS ARCHER, merchant, Shawnee, was born in England, March 24, 1825, and reared on a farm. Emigrated to America in 1854, and resided in Schenectady and Scotia, N. Y., where for two years he followed farming, then in Kane County, Ill., where he was employed in teaming. In March, 1859, he came to Kansas and located in Shawnee and engaged in farming. In 1861 he returned east, residing for a short time in Kane County, Ill., then in Porter County, Ind., for two and a half years employed teaming in the lumber business. In April 1864, he returned to Shawnee and engaged in general merchandise business, and is now the oldest merchant residing in this place. He also owns 160 aces of land which he farms. Mr. Archer was married in Kane County, Ill., July 9, 1858, to Elizabeth Earnshaw. They have four children: Lydia A., Sarah, George W. and Thomas H.
HON. G. M. BOWER was born in Mesopotamia, Trumball Co., Ohio, August 17, 1831. He is a graduate of Bellevue Hospital Medical College, N. Y. In 1854 he emigrated to Kendall County, Ill., and began the practice of his profession in 1856. In 1866 he came to Kansas City and located in Shawnee, Kansas, in 1867, and in Lenexa in 1869. He engaged in the drug business at that time in connection with the practice of medicine, and soon after purchased the town site. Was elected to the State Senate in 1871. In 1876 his health failing he sold out his business; traveled in Ohio and subsequently in Colorado. In 1878 located with his family at Larned, Kansas, and carried on general merchandise at Livingston, also practicing medicine. Returning to Lenexa in June, 1880, he again engaged in business, dealing in general merchandise, grain and agricultural implements, also largely in sheep husbandry. The doctor was married in Plattville, Ill., January 5, 1865, to Miss E. B. Brickley. They have three children living: Kittie May, Willis B. and Mary E.
HON. LEWIS W. BREYFOGLE, farmer, P. O. Lenexa, and dealer in live stock, was born in Delaware, Ohio, September 17, 1836. He learned the trade of carpenter and joiner and followed that vocation for a livelihood. In 1862 he turned his attention to farming, following it for a year in Morrow County, then in Delaware. In 1865 he engaged in the grain business. The subject of this sketch came to Johnson County, Kansas, in 1866; for a year he was employed in freighting across the plains to New Mexico for the United States government and in 1867 settled on his present farm. He owns about 600 acres, all improved, and is largely engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle and blooded hogs and dealing in live stock. He has fifteen acres of orchard on his place and his farm is considered one of the finest in the county. He was elected in 1879 to the State Legislature and in 1881 to the State Senate. Mr. Breyfogle was married in Morrow County, Ohio, March 25, 1860, to Lizzie M. Shaw, who died August 19, 1865, leaving two children: Frank L. and Jessie F. He was married again in Shawnee, November 20, 1867, to Laura A. Pennock. They have four children: Lizzie E., Grace, Warren and Charles C.
HON. D. G. CAMPBELL, farmer and fruit grower, P. O. Merriam, was born February 13, 1821, in Williamson County, Tenn. His parents moved to West Tennessee, near Paris, Henry County, when he was quite young, where he lived until 1849, when he emigrated to Ouachita County, Ark., near Camden. In 1856 he came to Kansas, but on account of the political troubles prevailing at that time he turned his course and settled in Andrew County, Mo. In 1859 he came to Kansas, locating in Wyandotte County. He came to this, Johnson County, in the spring of 1860 and located in Shawnee Township. In 1865 he moved on to his present farm, which now adjoins the town site of Campbellton. He has turned his attention principally to fruit growing and has one of the best orchards of fine fruit in the county. His original farm consisted of eighty acres; eight acres of this he laid out in lots in the town of Campbellton. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1862, 1863, 1864 and 1867, on the Democratic ticket, and in 1874 and 1875 as an Independent. In 1875 he joined the National Greenback party and supported Peter Cooper for President. Mr. Campbell was married in 1847 in Tennessee to Miss A. V. Cooley. They have five children, Hannibal, Alice, James, Edward and Frederick.
CALVIN A. CORNATZER. farmer, P. O. Lenexa, was born in North Carolina in 1827. In 1850 he came to Indian Territory, and engaged as a laborer on the Methodist mission farm, then at the Quaker mission, and contrary to the customs of the times, he in 1855 married Miss Emily Smith, a Quaker, and in 1857 located on his present farm, which consists of eighty acres. He confines himself principally to grain farming and gardening. In 1856 he was arrested by the Sheriff of this county, Isaac Parish, and confined in Lecompton jail for one day, for aiding and abetting the Free-state cause. He early espoused the cause and was known to have voted for Jim Lane. He is a man of strict integrity, a close observer of nature's works, has an excellent memory, remarkable faculty for telling a story well, and is surrounded by a pleasant family of six children, viz.: Alice, George, Minnie, Hattie, William and Juliette.
PERRY G. CROSS, farmer, P. O. Merriam, is a son of Washington Cross who was born in Virginia in 1809, and who came to Kansas in the fall of 1857 and located near the Shawnee Mission. He died in September, 1867, leaving a family of seven children. Benjamin F., James, Perry G., George W., and three daughters, Harriet, Sarah C., and Angemima. The brothers farm and own 540 acres of land in joint partnership. Perry G., the subject of this sketch, farms near the Shawnee Mission. He was born in Virginia, in 1841, and came to this State with his father. He is also extensively engaged in dealing in stock and breeding blooded cattle. During the war he served three years as Lieutenant of Company D, Thirteenth Kansas Militia. Mr. Cross was married in Jackson County, Mo., in 1867, to Hettie McMinn. They have five children, James, Ada, Musette, Ernest and Stella.
JOHN DYCHE, farmer, P. O. Hector, was born in East Tennessee, December 4, 1825, and reared on a farm. At the age of twenty-three years emigrated to Webster County, Mo., where he carried on farming and stock raising. In 1854 he came to Kansas, staked out his present farm in Shawnee Township, and returned to Missouri. Three years later he built a small house on the place and in 1861 moved his family here. He owns 120 acres, all improved, and has a nice orchard. He is engaged in grain and stock farming. During the war he served in the State Militia. Mr. Dyche has since 1876 also had charge of Hector postoffice. He was married in Clay County, Mo., January 10, 1861, to Louana Chaney, a native of that county.
BENJAMIN EARNSHAW, farmer and stock-raiser, Shawnee, was born in England, Feb. 25, 1836. Here he learned the trade of machinist, serving as an apprentice some six years. He immigrated to America in 1854, and was for several years employed as a machinist in Batavia, Kane Co., Ill. In February 1857, he came to Kansas, and purchased from the Shawnee Indians 160 acres of land, in Shawnee Township, Johnson County, since which time he has been engaged in farming and raising stock. He owns 212 acres of land, all under cultivation. Mr. Earnshaw was for six years School Director of this District. He was married at Batavia, November 7, 1856, to Bridget Cochran. They have six children--Joseph, James, Benjamin, Jr., George, Effie and Alice.
JOHN EARNSHAW, proprietor Fountain Head Mills, Lenexa, was born in England, November 10, 1830. Immigrated to America in 1854, and resided in Kane County, Ill., where he was employed in various mills in that locality. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1858, and located in the town of Shawnee. Was employed for a short time in digging wells and excavating for building purposes, after which he gave his attention to farming exclusively for some sixteen years or more. In 1878 he built his mill and opened the same in March, 1879. The mill has a capacity of twenty barrels per day, and Mr. E. is doing a large business, being very popular with the farming community. Mr. E. is still engaged in farming; he owns eighty acres, all well improved. He was married in Kane County, Ill., January 3, 1858, to Jane Miller, a native of England. They have five children--Nathaniel, Julia, Rose B., John and Harriet.
J. C. FERGUSON, farmer, P. O. Shawnee, was born in County Derry, Ireland, August 31, 1828. Immigrated to America at the age of sixteen years, located in Emmetsburg, Md., and learned the trade of saddler, then resided for a short time at Charlestown, Va. In 1846 he enlisted in Company B, Sixth United States Infantry, and served through the Mexican war. In the spring of 1849 his regiment was quartered at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He served, in all, five years, one year of which was in Company B, First United States Light Dragoons. In 1851 he entered the employ of the United States Government as scout and guide. In 1859 he located in Shawnee Township, and has since given his attention to farming, moving on to his present farm in 1863. He has 200 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation. For some years he was engaged in breeding stock, but of late years has confined himself principally to grain farming. Mr. F. had no means on his arrival here, and has by industry and economy accumulated a fine property. He is a charter member of Greenwood Grange, No. 1,087, and has been master for the past four years. He was married in Shawnee in October, 1859, to Harriet Cross. They have four children.
HENRY W. G. FINCH, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Shawnee, was born in Virginia, in 1809, and reared on a farm. In 1829 he removed to Tennessee, and two years later to Charlton County, Mo., where he farmed for a year, then went to Lafayette County. He came to Kansas in March, 1859, located in Shawnee Township, and has since given his attention to farming. In March, 1861, he moved on to his present farm. Mr. Finch owns 160 acres of land, all well improved; has a fine orchard of about six acres, and is also engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle. He was for four years Director of the School Board. Mr. Fitch sic was married in La Fayette County, Mo., in 1843, to Harriet Bratton, who died in 1859, leaving four children--David, Robert, William and Miriam. He was married a second time in Johnson County, in December, 1861, to Octavia A. Porter, of Kentucky. They have two children--Mary Ida and James Griffin.
JOHN R. FOSTER, farmer, P. O. Merriam, was born in La Porte County, Ind., in December, 1840. His parents moved to St. Joseph County, and he was reared on a farm. He studied law at Ann Arbor University, Michigan, graduating in March, 1866, after which he practiced law at South Bend, Ind., for thirteen years. In April, 1880, he came to Shawnee, Johnson Co., Kan., and located on this farm, having purchased the same form Henry Coppock, who settled in an early day. Mr. Foster has one of the finest improved farms in the county; it consists of 276 acres, which are in a high state of cultivation; his magnificent residence adjoins that of his father-in-law, Mr. George Milburn.
B. F. HOLLENBACK, merchant, Shawnee, was born in Kendall County, Ill., in 1836; his father was a merchant, and he resided with him there until twenty years of age, when he accompanied him to Case County, Mo., and assisted him in farming and raising stock. The subject of our sketch came to Kansas in August, 1861, located in Olathe Township, Johnson County, and was for a year engaged in farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Twelfth Kansas Infantry, serving until July, 1865; after the war he settled in Shawnee and engaged in the mercantile business in company with Thomas Archer; a year later they dissolved and Mr. Hollenback engaged in this business alone; he is also engaged in farming, owning in all some 680 acres of land. In 1866, he was appointed Postmaster at this place, and still holds that office, and was a Commissioner of Johnson County, for two years, and Treasurer of the Township for several years. Mr. H. was married in Kendall County, Ill., in 1854, to Catherine E. Brown. They have seven children--Frank P., Nannie E., Phoebe B., Charles R., William P., Benjamin T. and Stella M.
JOSEPH D. JESSUP, farmer and fruit grower, P. O. Rosedale, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, August 5, 1838, and reared on a farm in Hamilton County. In March, 1867, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm, which consists of eighty acres, all in a high state of cultivation; his land is a portion of the old Baptist Mission. Mr. Jessup is quite extensively engaged in the cultivation of fruit. He has a fine orchard of some ten acres, two acres of raspberries and an acre of grapes; he is also engaged in raising cattle of the Devonshire breed. Mr. J. was married in Johnson County, November 2, 1876, to Asenath E. Johnson; they have one son--Ralph W.
GEORGE KNAUBER, shoemaker, Shawnee, was born in Germany, July 10, 1828; here he learned the trade of shoemaker, serving as an apprentice about five years, and also served eight months as a soldier in the Bavarian army. He immigrated to America in 1851, and was employed at his trade in New Orleans, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Westport, Mo., for some seven years. He came to Shawnee, Kan., in April, 1858, and engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes; on June the 6th, 1862, he was burned out by the guerrillas, and went to Wyandotte, where he remained for a short time, and from thence to Kansas City. Returning to Shawnee in 1864, he again resumed business. Mr. K. is also engaged in farming. He owns eighty acres of land, forty of which he cultivates. He has for the past three years been Clerk of the Township. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., in 1855, to Margaret Schwartz; they have five children--Adam, George, Robert, Mary and Theodore.
THOMAS A LEWIS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Red Clover, was born in Warren County, Ky., April 15, 1824, and for many years followed farming and stock raising in that locality. He came to Kansas, October 17, 1858, and located on his farm in Shawnee Township. He owns eighty acres, all well improved, and has quite a nice orchard of various kinds of fruits. He is also engaged in raising stock, principally cattle of the Durham breed. During the war he served in the Kansas State Militia. He was married in Butler County, Ky., about 1854, to Elizabeth Porter, a native of that place. They have three living children: William T., Annie M. and Margaret, and one deceased, Carrie.
GEORGE MILBURN, farmer, P. O. Merriam, was born in England in 1820, and immigrated to America in 1834. He began business life at Mishawaka, Ind., and for fourteen years followed mercantile business at that place. In 1857 he began the manufacture of wagons, being a member of the firm George Milburn & Co. In 1869 the business was organized into a joint stock company, styled the Milburn Wagon Co., of which he was president until he resigned in February, 1880. Mr. Milburn was for many years President of the Wagon Maker's Association of the United States, and also for some time President of the South Bend Iron Works. During his residence at Mishawaka was also engaged in several milling enterprises. He came to Kansas in April, 1880, and located in Shawnee Township, Johnson County. He is a very large land owner, having 645 acres of well-improved land in this county, and 5,440 acres in Bourbon and Crawford counties. The latter property has on it forty miles of fencing and is used for stock raising purposes.
OLIVER W. MILLER, merchant, was born at Batavia, Kane County, Ill., March 20, 1855, and came with his parents to Kansas in the spring of 1858. He was reared on a farm in Shawnee Township. In September, 1874, went to Greene County, Iowa, where he farmed and attended and taught school. In May, 1878, he returned to Kansas and assisted in building Fountain Head Mills, and in August, 1879, engaged in general merchandise business at this place. He carries a nice stock of about $2,500. Mr. Miller is also postmaster at this place, having been appointed in November, 1879. He was married at Lenexa, January 7, 1880, to Mary O. Brown, a native of Kansas. They have one son, Clyde W.
JOHN NALL, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Red Clover, was born in North Carolina in 1832. Emigrated with parents, six years later, to Tennessee and five years after to Texas County, Mo., where he was reared on a farm. In the spring of 1866 he came to Kansas and for some two years farmed in Bourbon County. In the spring of 1869 he came to Johnson County and located on his present farm. He owns 240 acres all well improved but forty acres which is timber land. On his place there is a fine orchard of about seven acres. He is quite an extensive breeder of Short-horn cattle, mules, horses and hogs, and is also engaged in bee culture. During the war he served for three years in the Thirteenth Kansas State Militia. He is a member of Corinth Grange. Mr. Nall was married in Bates County, Mo. in 1857, to Nancy J. Sells, who died in 1870, leaving three children: Tilman Howard, Benjamin Franklin and Tabitha Josephine. He was married again in Johnson County in January, 1872, to Susan Emma Mooney, of Virginia. They have five children: Robert Lee, Minnie L., Margaret C., Susan Asenatha and Mathew Emery.
JAMES D. TENISON, farmer, P. O. Hector, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., in 1823, emigrating with his parents when quite young to Shelby County, Ills., where he farmed and taught school. In 1847 he removed to Dane County, Wis., where he followed farming, mining and teaching school. He came to Johnson County, Kan., in 1855, and located on his present farm in Shawnee in 1857. He owns 130 acres of land all well improved; has a fine stone residence on his place and a good orchard. During the war he served in the militia and for several years was Justice of the Peace. Mr. Tenison was married in Fayette County, Ills., in 1846, to Lucy Wilder. They have ten children--William H., Levi L., George A., Elizabeth A., Mary J., Sarah J., Lathe E., Charles A., Howard E. and Clarence E.
JOHN WIEDENMAN, farmer, P. O. Westport, Mo., was born in Germany in 1830: here he learned the carpenter trade and followed it for a livelihood. In 1854 he emigrated to America, came West and in 1855 located in Shawnee, Johnson County, Kan., where he followed his trade for two years. He then went to Pike's Peak, Col., and a year later to Iowa, then to Westport, Mo., where he remained until 1866 when he removed to his present farm. He owns 160 acres all well improved; has an orchard of some four acres, and one acre of vineyard. In 1879 he built a beautiful residence on his place at a cost of some $15,000. Mr. W. was married in Westport, Mo., in 1859, to Kate Bart--she died in 1860; and he was married again in 1861 to Margaret Bart, who died in April, 1879, leaving three children--Mary, Christian and John. Mr. W. was married again in Johnson County in August 1879, to Charlotte Didloffson. They have one daughter--Julia.
REV. FATHER ALBERT M. WEIKMANN, pastor of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Shawnee Kan., was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, February 10, 1850. He studied for six years at the College of Gmuend, Wurtemberg, Germany. In 1867 he emigrated to America, continued his studies at St. Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, Wis., and was ordained a priest by Bishop Fink at Leavenworth, Kan., August 27, 1872, and in December of that year was sent to Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kan., where for two years he had charge of St. Joseph's Church and other missions; then in 1874 in charge of St. John's Church at Hanover, Washington County. He came to Shawnee in July, 1876, and entered upon his present duties.
PETER WERTZ, grocer, Shawnee, was born in Prussia in 1834 and reared on a farm. He emigrated to America in 1855 and was some three years employed as a farm hand near Milwaukee, Wis. In April, 1858 he came to Shawnee and made his home here, but worked in Westport, Mo., in a grist mill for nearly two years; was then in Colorado, engaged in mining for two years. He enlisted October 28, 1861, in the First Colorado Cavalry, Company I, and was shortly afterward promoted to Commissary Sergeant, serving in all three years. After the war he returned to Shawnee and has followed farming since. In 1870 he also engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Wertz held the office of Clerk of the Township for two years, and was elected Treasurer of the same in the spring of 1882. He was married in Kansas City in 1867 to Theresa Waller, who was born in Wurtemberg in 1843 and emigrated to America in 1847 with her parents and located in Weston, Mo., and in 1858 they moved to Wyandotte, Kan. They have eight children--John, Peter, Sebastian Theodore, Mary, Rose, Henry, Joseph and Gertrude.